PDA

View Full Version : A DYNASTY WE ARE NOT

Bretsky
01-20-2015, 11:15 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/with-2-star-qbs-packers-havent-become-dynasty-b99427461z1-289250341.html

Patler
01-21-2015, 07:08 AM
There are no No NFL dynasties any more. The NFL does as much as it can to create parity, to prevent dynasties and to foster player movement. As good as NE has been with Brady, after a flurry of early SB wins, he hasn't been able to win still another for 10 years.

That said, the golden opportunities that have slipped away sure have been frustrating for Packer fans.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-21-2015, 07:11 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/with-2-star-qbs-packers-havent-become-dynasty-b99427461z1-289250341.html

Probably not, but what still burns me is this could have been the start of a good run. Rogers still in his prime, defense better than last few years. But that is what is great about football, there is always hope for next year.

Harlan Huckleby
01-21-2015, 07:46 AM
I fear that the roster peaked in 2014, there may be critical FA losses, for instance Bulaga

They had 5 terrific starters on O-line for playoff run. How often does Pack have 5 healthy studs in December?

denverYooper
01-21-2015, 08:17 AM
I fear that the roster peaked in 2014, there may be critical FA losses, for instance Bulaga

They had 5 terrific starters on O-line for playoff run. How often does Pack have 5 healthy studs in December?

If that's all they feel they need for another shot, they'll make signing Bulaga a priority.

I feel like the defense is finally starting to play well and might be set up for a solid 2-3 year run (ARPH). Our safeties had one hell of a game on Sunday, 2 pt fail aside. It's just too damn bad they couldn't capitalize with the game in hand.

denverYooper
01-21-2015, 08:25 AM
Green Bay also does not have to worry about Rodgers contract and should be able to take advantage of cap increases over the next couple of years before they need to deal with him again. They're in a pretty good spot in terms of being able to sign some of their players and maybe pick up an FA or two.

Seattle will have to pay Wilson very soon and will have to let other guys go. They paid Wagner and some guys in the secondary but it's apparent they'll need to find some OL/DL talent soon or they are going to get pushed around the field.

Who else is on the horizon with a top quarterback locked up? Atlanta, maybe.

Patler
01-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Who else is on the horizon with a top quarterback locked up? Atlanta, maybe.

The Bears with Cutler. :laugh:

woodbuck27
01-21-2015, 08:51 AM
I believe we need to see a significant presence from Ted Thompson in this off seson in terms of pulling out all the stops to best ensure a Super bowl win next season.

The time is now !

Rather than lament the past and Green Bay @ Seattle and failure in the NFC Championship (again under this regeime).

It's full on time for Packer Nation to rally around 'a push ' to do all necessary for a Super Bowl win next season.

Anything short of a Super Bowl win in 2015 isn't acceptable and should demand big changes. It's now time to shit or get off the pot.

That should have began right after the loss in Seattle. A game that turned out very winnable was simply tossed away. The Green Bay Packers blew a rare opportunity last Sunday and must ensure that's amended in 2015. The Green Bay Packers musn't fail in 2015.

The TT and MM 'comfort level' must end with both of them doing everything possible to ensure the most positive results in 2015.

mraynrand
01-21-2015, 10:26 AM
I dunno - a twenty two year run with playoff appearances almost every year, three SB appearances and two Lombardi trophies, the Packers are as much a dynasty as you can have in the modern FA and draft era.

vince
01-21-2015, 10:34 AM
Nothing like setting the bar high.

hoosier
01-21-2015, 10:37 AM
I believe we need to see a significant presence from Ted Thompson in this off seson in terms of pulling out all the stops to best ensure a Super bowl win next season.

The time is now !

Rather than lament the past and Green Bay @ Seattle and failure in the NFC Championship (again under this regeime).

It's full on time for Packer Nation to rally around 'a push ' to do all necessary for a Super Bowl win next season.

Anything short of a Super Bowl win in 2015 isn't acceptable and should demand big changes. It's now time to shit or get off the pot.

That should have began right after the loss in Seattle. A game that turned out very winnable was simply tossed away. The Green Bay Packers blew a rare opportunity last Sunday and must ensure that's amended in 2015. The Green Bay Packers musn't fail in 2015.

The TT and MM 'comfort level' must end with both of them doing everything possible to ensure the most positive results in 2015.

I am sorry to hear about your constipation. Empty rhetoric aside, what specific "presence" do you want Thompson to have during the offseason? Re-signings? Who? Free agents? Who?

ThunderDan
01-21-2015, 10:46 AM
After every season TT takes the next 3 months off until the NFL Draft. That is why GB isn't winning Super Bowls. Sarcasm alert!

Posts like woodbucks makes laugh. To insinuate that TT isn't looking at every player possible and trying to win the Super Bowl is crazy.

There are 32 teams in the NFL all trying to assemble the best roster possible with a limited amount of money they can spend. This isn't MLB where you can sign anyone and everyone as long as you can pay them.

mraynrand
01-21-2015, 11:12 AM
To insinuate that TT isn't looking at every player possible and trying to win the Super Bowl is crazy.

perhaps you have stumbled upon a very important truth.

Striker
01-21-2015, 11:35 AM
After every season TT takes the next 3 months off until the NFL Draft. That is why GB isn't winning Super Bowls. Sarcasm alert!

Posts like woodbucks makes laugh. To insinuate that TT isn't looking at every player possible and trying to win the Super Bowl is crazy.

There are 32 teams in the NFL all trying to assemble the best roster possible with a limited amount of money they can spend. This isn't MLB where you can sign anyone and everyone as long as you can pay them.

^^^^

Exactly. People may look at the $27-30 million in cap room and get dreams of FAs dancing in their heads. But there's always a trade off. So maybe you sign a Dez Bryant or Julius Thomas type player in FA at $8 to $16 million a year. Suddenly half of your cap room is gone and you still have resign Bulaga, Cobb, etc. Are you fine with letting one go? Both go?

I'd like to see the Packers "make a move" if players are out there at a good cost, but don't go nuts and try to buy as many vets as possible to win. The Broncos tried that, and they're probably a team that's going to regress with their aging roster.

denverYooper
01-21-2015, 12:11 PM
This makes me happy.

Since McGinn wrote it, the Packers are about to win back-to-back superbowls. Maybe even 3 in a row.

Patler
01-21-2015, 12:21 PM
This makes me happy.

Since McGinn wrote it, the Packers are about to win back-to-back superbowls. Maybe even 3 in a row.

Good point!!!!!

woodbuck27
01-21-2015, 12:23 PM
I am sorry to hear about your constipation. Empty rhetoric aside, what specific "presence" do you want Thompson to have during the offseason? Re-signings? Who? Free agents? Who?

There will come that time for what I know 'more fully' what is necessary.

A good start would be for TT to show us he's alive.

Have you even seen Ted Thompson yet after that loss?

Already there are members here that have offered clear changes that they expect made.

a) Fire Shawn Slocum "That will mean the Family Comfort Circle" has to be disrupted. Ted Thompson manage this !?

b) Release ILB's AJ Hawk and Brad Jones.

c) Sign RT Bryan Bulaga and WR Randall Cobb (sign BJ Raji or otherwise bolster the middle of the DL) and (sign Tramon Williams to a reduced contract)

d) Sign a top flight talent in FA to fortify the pass rush.

e) Find a #4 WR.

f) Find an upgrade at TE

g) Strengthen the CB position

I agree with all of these except I'm hesitant RE: BJ Raji. I can't see this man contributing much as he was in 2013 and now he has a year removed from the game.

Striker
01-21-2015, 12:32 PM

Perhaps you missed the entire JSO postgame interview with select comments from Thompson.

Would you rather have a Jerry Jones type pacing the sideline? Coming down and making suggestions on what players should be in?

Already there are members here that have offered clear changes that they expect made.

a) Fire Shawn Slocum "That will mean the Family Comfort Circle" has to be disrupted. Ted Thompson manage this !?

When McCarthy cleaned house with his defensive staff, it took a week. And that's MM's part of the team, not TT's.

woodbuck27
01-21-2015, 12:46 PM
Perhaps you missed the entire JSO postgame interview with select comments from Thompson. .......... The rest of the post deleted as it doesn't pertain to anything 'where is/was TT'?

I watched the pressers of MM and AR and some of the players that made themselves available on NFL.COM.

I havn't seen anything from TT nor was I aware such was available till just now.

Thanks ... I'll look for that.

I just checked that and for some reason even though adjust my settings using the tools bar on Explorer. I cannot see video on JSO.

Did Ted Thompson express anything worthwhile and RE: the Packer future? Changes that he felt needed to be made?

I'll be surprized if he offered anything of merited worthiness.

woodbuck27
01-21-2015, 12:50 PM
When McCarthy cleaned house with his defensive staff, it took a week. And that's MM's part of the team, not TT's.

It's been suggested here by members that maybe? TT has to manage by managing to push MM to get rid of Shawn Slocum.

I post that being aware of some common background and TT and SS as I recall that.

Bossman641
01-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Are we starting with the "TT is an idiot and ignores FA comments already"?

As a reminder, here are the teams who "won" free agency last year.
-Bucs
-Broncos
-Falcons
-Bears
-Saints
-Patriots

woodbuck27
01-21-2015, 01:06 PM

-Bucs
-Broncos
-Falcons
-Bears
-Saints
-Patriots

Ahh PATRIOTS !!

Ohh yes...they have Bill belichick as their GM (de facto)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_facto

Rutnstrut
01-21-2015, 02:18 PM
Sometimes the TT and stubby nut huggers on this site make want to puke.

Guiness
01-21-2015, 02:21 PM
The Bears with Cutler. :laugh:

Cincinnati and SF fit into that category, but I guess those teams have outs. Bears don't appear to.

mraynrand
01-21-2015, 02:34 PM

simple solution: leave and never come back. Believe me, it's a win-win.

Bossman641
01-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Could you imagine a forum entirely filled with rutnstrut and his type? I'd have to check that out.

Patler
01-21-2015, 03:07 PM
I think people have already forgotten that only the Seahawks, Ravens and Giants have won a Super Bowl more recently than Green Bay.

After watching Sunday's game, are the Seahawks head and shoulders ahead of the Packers? Are the Ravens or Giants better positioned than the Packers are for future success? How about the Super Bowl losers since Green Bay won theirs? Do the Broncos, 49ers or Patriots have better outlooks for the future then the Packers do?

I'm not sure that franchise success can now be based on Super Bowl titles. Obviously those are the goal and the ultimate achievement. However, teams rise to the top and then disappear quite quickly. Only a few short years ago the darlings of the media included teams like Atlanta, New Orleans and the 49ers. Within the division, every year the media seems to want to find a team that will surpass the Packers, yet it never seems to happen. How many were jumping on the Bears bandwagon last off season?

Perhaps teams like the Patriots and Packers as well as several others are the new age dynasties, not because they win super Bowls year after year but because they remain in the hunt for the Super Bowl year after year.

mraynrand
01-21-2015, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure that franchise success can now be based on Super Bowl titles.

Ding ding, we have a winner. At least not SOLEY on number of Superbowls. I think anything that you want to call a dynasty has to win it all with some frequency - perhaps 2-4 times/generation? - and have a consistent record of success and playoff appearances.

woodbuck27
01-21-2015, 04:21 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbeEcG1BpSS8BFDxN833nxoygUpM5zf y9vs80vS1fcGOq9ME4v

The air goes out of the argument. Afterall we're discussing Green Bay losing the NFC Championship.

14 other NFC teams failed to get there this season.

The fact 'a vast majority of analysts ' predicting a Seattle return to the Super Bowl should 'only' upset the most delusional Packer fan.

The facts:

Having the NFL's MVP and the NO. 1 Ranked Offense didn't cut it.

Why? The Green Bay Packers are 'a Jekyll and Hyde' team at home and on the road. Their home record vastly inflates what they can do away from the security of Lambeau Field.

I wonder... could I recommend:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQilqupj-9Lnvsrz1UC10WtdRe-YlMvPAwiKXpP6yTPYFYt7kah

Hudson Bay Blankets for emotional security on the road and possibly a better nights sleep.

mraynrand
01-21-2015, 04:29 PM
The facts:

Having the NFL's MVP and the NO. 1 Ranked Offense didn't cut it.

Why? The Green Bay Packers are 'a Jekyll and Hyde' team at home and on the road. Their home record vastly inflates what they can do away from the security of Lambeau Field.

The Packer offense was playing against the #1 defense, in their stadium. That's why they didn't play as well as against Chicago at home.

Again - the Packers didn't lose just because their offense played poorly, and their offense didn't pull a 'jekyll and hyde' routine - they scored less and moved the ball less because they faced a very good defense.

hoosier
01-21-2015, 07:58 PM

Yes, we had a beer yesterday afternoon in Milwaukee. He looked a little tired and sounded a little sad, but otherwise everything is great!

No. Hiring and firing position coaches is not TT's job.

Would you prefer that TT cut them now or do you think it would be ok if he waited until he's found suitable replacements?

c) Sign RT Bryan Bulaga and WR Randall Cobb (sign BJ Raji or otherwise bolster the middle of the DL) and (sign Tramon Williams to a reduced contract)

What if Bulaga, Cobb and Raji are asking for more than the Packers feel they can pay them? What if Williams doesn't want to sign a "reduced contract"?

Which free agent do you have in mind, and what position will he play? Do you think it would be better to sign someone who plays Matthews, Peppers or Daniels position? Does it matter at all that guys who have the body to play end in the 3-4 are usually incapable of providing much pass rush? Or that Capers's scheme doesn't want pass rush from that position? I would have thought more pass rush would be pretty low on the list of priorities.

e) Find a #4 WR.

f) Find an upgrade at TE

They already have Williams (if he signs your "reduced contract"), Shields, House, Hayward, Hyde and the guy they drafted last year. Which one do you want to get rid?

pbmax
01-21-2015, 08:29 PM
Don't sleep on those Bears, I think they could be something next year! :)

Bretsky
01-21-2015, 09:04 PM

-Bucs
-Broncos
-Falcons
-Bears
-Saints
-Patriots

I see Patriots
I'd also say Seattle own FA two years ago and this year they're still reaping those rewards

Bretsky
01-21-2015, 09:06 PM
Yes, we had a beer yesterday afternoon in Milwaukee. He looked a little tired and sounded a little sad, but otherwise everything is great!

No. Hiring and firing position coaches is not TT's job.

Would you prefer that TT cut them now or do you think it would be ok if he waited until he's found suitable replacements?

What if Bulaga, Cobb and Raji are asking for more than the Packers feel they can pay them? What if Williams doesn't want to sign a "reduced contract"?

Which free agent do you have in mind, and what position will he play? Do you think it would be better to sign someone who plays Matthews, Peppers or Daniels position? Does it matter at all that guys who have the body to play end in the 3-4 are usually incapable of providing much pass rush? Or that Capers's scheme doesn't want pass rush from that position? I would have thought more pass rush would be pretty low on the list of priorities.

They already have Williams (if he signs your "reduced contract"), Shields, House, Hayward, Hyde and the guy they drafted last year. Which one do you want to get rid?

I think TT sometimes pushes the buttons with coaches; it was reported he did so with Vanilla Bob Sanders
Slocum has been hear about two years too long but he's MM's buddy; this year might have been the fatal blow to send his ass packing...albeit WAY too late

As for Brad Jones............what an easy question.........cut him before we find his replacement.........

pbmax
01-21-2015, 11:50 PM
I see Patriots
I'd also say Seattle own FA two years ago and this year they're still reaping those rewards

Who did they sign two years ago?

ThunderDan
01-22-2015, 08:05 AM

PERCY HARVIN!!!! Technically it was a trade but then they signed him to a large extension.

mraynrand
01-22-2015, 08:08 AM
LORD HAVE PERCY!!!!!

Bretsky
01-22-2015, 08:37 AM

Off the top of my head I think Bennett and the Detroit Lions DE/LB....both to one year deals

pbmax
01-22-2015, 11:34 AM
Off the top of my head I think Bennett and the Detroit Lions DE/LB....both to one year deals

I was going to mock you for the continued success they were enjoying with Percy on the Jets, but if Avril and Bennett were in the same class, I will be happy to accept an offer of a draw.

Bossman641
01-22-2015, 01:12 PM
Bennett and Avril were both signed during the 2013 offseason - Bennett to a 1 year deal, Avril to a 2 year deal.

Harlan Huckleby
01-22-2015, 01:36 PM
My cultural references have grown stale.

I feel so alone.

http://prolog.rs/upload/article/10762_Dynasty%20poster.jpg

Joemailman
01-22-2015, 01:40 PM

Go ahead.

mraynrand
01-22-2015, 01:47 PM
My cultural references have grown stale.

probably because you have no culture :mrgreen:

Maxie the Taxi
01-22-2015, 01:51 PM
Probably because he's been on the shelf for too long.:-)

Bretsky
01-23-2015, 10:46 PM
I was going to mock you for the continued success they were enjoying with Percy on the Jets, but if Avril and Bennett were in the same class, I will be happy to accept an offer of a draw.

DON"T BE CUTING DOWN MY FAVORITE GM IN GREEN BAY...........OR...........WHO WAS IN GREEN BAY

Harvin was a bad move....but I give him credit for trying..........and then CUTTING BAIT and STILL MAKING IT TO THE BIG SHOW

Pugger
01-24-2015, 10:58 AM

e) Find a #4 WR.

f) Find an upgrade at TE

I agree with all of these except I'm hesitant RE: BJ Raji. I can't see this man contributing much as he was in 2013 and now he has a year removed from the game.

Its only been 6 days since we lost. Plus the fact McCarthy is mourning the loss of his brother. Where's the fire?

I don't think Bulaga or Cobb are going anywhere. I'm not worried about the WR position. It will be interesting to see what happens with Tramon. Will he take a smaller salary to stick around? If not CB becomes a need. I thought our pass rush was pretty good in 2014. We ended up with 41 sacks on the year. IMO we need ILBers and a TE who can stretch the field.

Raji is a true NT and was playing very well before he got hurt. He won't cost a fortune and has one less year of wear and tear on the body. I think rotating BJ and Letroy Guion in the middle there would be great for this defense.

Pugger
01-24-2015, 11:01 AM
I think people have already forgotten that only the Seahawks, Ravens and Giants have won a Super Bowl more recently than Green Bay.

After watching Sunday's game, are the Seahawks head and shoulders ahead of the Packers? Are the Ravens or Giants better positioned than the Packers are for future success? How about the Super Bowl losers since Green Bay won theirs? Do the Broncos, 49ers or Patriots have better outlooks for the future then the Packers do?

I'm not sure that franchise success can now be based on Super Bowl titles. Obviously those are the goal and the ultimate achievement. However, teams rise to the top and then disappear quite quickly. Only a few short years ago the darlings of the media included teams like Atlanta, New Orleans and the 49ers. Within the division, every year the media seems to want to find a team that will surpass the Packers, yet it never seems to happen. How many were jumping on the Bears bandwagon last off season?

Perhaps teams like the Patriots and Packers as well as several others are the new age dynasties, not because they win super Bowls year after year but because they remain in the hunt for the Super Bowl year after year.

:clap:

Joemailman
01-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Over the past 20 years only 14 of the 32 NFL franchises have won a Super Bowl. The fact that the Packers have won 2 puts them in very exclusive company. Only the Packers, Broncos, Ravens, Patriots, Steelers and Giants have done it. It is frustrating to come as close as the Packers did in 2007 and 2014, and not make it, but even those show the Packers are one of the elite, though not a dynasty. The last team that could claim to be a dynasty, New England, hasn't won a Super Bowl in a decade. So there are no dynasties right now, although Seattle gets into the discussion if the win next week. There appear to be 3 elite franchises in the NFL right now, and the Packers are one of them.

woodbuck27
01-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Its only been 6 days since we lost. Plus the fact McCarthy is mourning the loss of his brother. Where's the fire?

I don't think Bulaga or Cobb are going anywhere. I'm not worried about the WR position. It will be interesting to see what happens with Tramon. Will he take a smaller salary to stick around? If not CB becomes a need. I thought our pass rush was pretty good in 2014. We ended up with 41 sacks on the year. IMO we need ILBers and a TE who can stretch the field.

Raji is a true NT and was playing very well before he got hurt. He won't cost a fortune and has one less year of wear and tear on the body. I think rotating BJ and Letroy Guion in the middle there would be great for this defense.

Please check the date on which I made that post.

Didn't Mike McCarthy's brother pass away after I made that post?

Of course MM gets a period of grace after that personal loss for him.

mraynrand
01-24-2015, 02:02 PM
Of course MM gets a period of grace after that personal loss for him.

I bet he's pleased you're allowing it