PDA

View Full Version : Dumb ex jocks

Harlan Huckleby
01-21-2015, 07:40 PM
Former Packers tend to have a certain meathead quality to them. I think it's because they made their living playing a game until they neared menopause . But I also think they have much clearer insights than the pencil necked geeks who analyze the game with stats and chatter.

This ode to the palooka is prompted by the dissing of Mr. Leroy Butler. That guy has insights that I don't hear anywhere else, he makes a ton of sense. Mark Chmura - the meathead supreme, actually puts his finger on the essentials of the games regularly. I listen to Gilbert Brown's weekly podcast, very entertaining. I expect listening to Brett Favre break down a game would be a treat. Freeman ain't bad. Larry McCarren is awesome analyst.

Thank you for your attention.

Harlan Huckleby
01-21-2015, 07:50 PM
ps. I think Max McGhee and Larry McCarren are a different breed from the rest. They are natural wordsmiths.

Rutnstrut
01-21-2015, 08:41 PM
You just know some day old Larry isn't going to be able to hold back on the radio and start dropping F-bombs when the Pack screws up.

mraynrand
01-21-2015, 09:53 PM
Appeal to authority is one of the oldest shortcuts around logical and sound argument. An 'authority' should have to establish themselves as knowledgeable and trustworthy. Even so, people shouldn't just blindly trust their word, using such trite phrases as "they've forgotten more about X than you ever knew." Sounds desperate and illogical. The conjectures and assertions of an authority should be met with skepticism and tested.

mraynrand
01-21-2015, 09:54 PM
You just know some day old Larry isn't going to be able to hold back on the radio and start dropping F-bombs when the Pack screws up.

maybe he has too much class.

Harlan Huckleby
01-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Appeal to authority is one of the oldest shortcuts around logical and sound argument.

Most football controversies are about judgement, not logical or statistical proof. I value the judgement of people have played the game, especially if they have a track record of observations that make sense.

mraynrand
01-21-2015, 10:05 PM
Most football controversies are about judgement, not logical or statistical proof. I value the judgement of people have played the game, especially if they have a track record of observations that make sense.

I assume though that if their judgment is unsound, you would reject it. In other words, their judgement is subject to evaluation, not just blind acceptance. But you know this.

Harlan Huckleby
01-21-2015, 10:09 PM
I assume though that if their judgment is unsound, you would reject it. In other words, their judgement is subject to evaluation, not just blind acceptance. But you know this.

I'm more the blind acceptance type. LeRoy is a good man, I look forward to enjoying that time share he hooked me up with in Florida.

mraynrand
01-21-2015, 10:09 PM
I'm more the blind acceptance type. LeRoy is a good man, I look forward to enjoying that time share he hooked me up with in Florida.

I'd check it for roaches

Harlan Huckleby
01-21-2015, 10:12 PM

as long as he doesn't mention watermelons.

Rutnstrut
01-22-2015, 12:33 PM
maybe he has too much class.

Not saying he doesn't, but have you ever heard him on the radio? Sometimes he sounds like he is a heart beat away from an aneurysm when the team makes stupid mistakes.

mraynrand
01-22-2015, 01:57 PM
Not saying he doesn't, but have you ever heard him on the radio? Sometimes he sounds like he is a heart beat away from an aneurysm when the team makes stupid mistakes.

Not often, but I think I know what you mean.

woodbuck27
01-22-2015, 05:56 PM

That's way too many close calls on Sunday.

Larry might be advised to wisely give up calling any Green Bay Packer playoff games in the future.

smuggler
01-22-2015, 09:44 PM
I feel like I'm more qualified to do analysis on games than most retired players.