PDA

View Full Version : Should They Stay Or Should They Go?

Joemailman
01-25-2015, 12:03 PM
These Packers will either be free agents, or players who have outlived their usefulness or are overpaid. My take:

Tramon Williams - The toughest call. Probably go, depending on his market value.

Bryan Bulaga - Stay

Jarrett Bush - Go - Not the impact ST player he once was.

B.J. Raji - Stay - But for less than 4 million

Randall Cobb - Stay

Davon House - Stay

DuJuan Harris - Go - Need a better KO return man.

Sean Richardson - Go - Draft a safety

Don Barclay - Stay

Jarrett Boykin - Go - Easily replaced by Abby and Janis.

Jamari Lattimore - Go - No instincts to play ILB

Scott Tolzien - Stay

Matt Flynn - Go - Tolzien should be ready

John Kuhn - Stay - Why not? He's cheap.

Letroy Guion - Stay

Chris Banjo - Stay

Brad Jones - Go - Way overpaid

A.J. Hawk - Go - Looks finished.

Julius Peppers - Stay - If they can make the money work.

KYPack
01-25-2015, 12:48 PM
The FA market will make a run at both House and Bulaga. I'd question whether we'll be able to keep both of 'em.

Richardson might make camp, but what happened to this guy? He really fell off in '14.

Tolzein over Flynn? Yup, keep the Badger. Flynn channeled his inner Graham Harrell last season.

I'm hopin' we do work something out with the old vet Peppers. He does need to work on his last minute interception leadership skills, tho.

pbmax
01-25-2015, 02:05 PM
McGinn says Bulaga might be the top rated tackle in FA. If he gets Left Tackle money, it might be wise to let him leave.

Joemailman
01-25-2015, 02:19 PM
McGinn says Bulaga might be the top rated tackle in FA. If he gets Left Tackle money, it might be wise to let him leave.

If someone is going to offer him 10-12 million per year, I would agree with that. I'm not sure it will happen though. He hasn't played LT but sparingly, and he does have his injury history.

mraynrand
01-25-2015, 03:19 PM
Tolzein over Flynn? Yup, keep the Badger. Flynn channeled his inner Graham Harrell last season.

Tolzien showed nothing. I'm not high on Flynn, but he did win the game in Dallas. Time to draft a guy with a higher ceiling. (I suppose Tolzien could be this guy, but only the coaches would know. And if he already was this guy, he's be #2 on depth chart this sat season).

mraynrand
01-25-2015, 03:20 PM
I like House a lot. Would hate to see him go.

Rutnstrut
01-25-2015, 03:43 PM
Unless they can get peppers for super cheap, let him go.

pbmax
01-25-2015, 05:01 PM
Tolzien showed nothing. I'm not high on Flynn, but he did win the game in Dallas. Time to draft a guy with a higher ceiling. (I suppose Tolzien could be this guy, but only the coaches would know. And if he already was this guy, he's be #2 on depth chart this sat season).

Tolzien, while not on the coveted Tank Hotshot QB List, did have a 20 point edge in passer rating over Flynn in preseason.

Bretsky
01-25-2015, 05:13 PM
As possibly the biggest Badger Homer in here...it's odd that the one Badger QB I had little or no feeling about either way ends up in Green Bay
Honestly I'm surprised Tolzien is in the NFL

red
01-25-2015, 05:17 PM
one thing to remember

WITHOUT, resigning any free agents, the defense is set to cost about 20 million more as a middle of the road at best, compared to our top ranked offense

thats just flat out wrong IMO

red
01-25-2015, 05:26 PM
Tramon Williams - only stay if he is much cheaper, he is not imo worth the money he has been making

Bryan Bulaga - keep him, shouldn't cost too much, and he had a pretty good injury free season. don't pay him too much though, because he's only had 1 injury free year so far

Jarrett Bush -not worth the money, should be making vet minimum even if he is a special teams ace

B.J. Raji - fuck off, should have been gone 2 years ago

Randall Cobb - #1 priority, should have been locked up before the season, now will cost the team a whole hell of a lot more. he has all the leverage with the team not having the talent to be able to let him walk

Davon House - i'd keep him, but not for much

DuJuan Harris - see ya

Sean Richardson - wouldn't mind keeping him for cheap to compete for #3

Don Barclay - keep him, shouldn't cost much, but if he does, let him go

Jarrett Boykin - goodbye, what a horrible year

Jamari Lattimore - don't care either way, but we need to find more talent then he has to play ILB

Scott Tolzien - goodbye

Matt Flynn - don't care, we need to draft a new guy in the mid rounds

John Kuhn - take a hike and take your 1 yard dive play with you. he is NOT worth the money

Letroy Guion - keep for cheap

Chris Banjo - keep

Brad Jones - fuck off right out of town

A.J. Hawk - career is over

Julius Peppers - keep him

Bretsky
01-25-2015, 05:49 PM
I think Bulaga and House probably know they can get more as a UFA so hopefully they want to stay

We can't lose Cobb
I'd like to keep Bulaga
I'd love to see Tramon return

I'm not sure the rest matter than much

It was interesting to read that Boykins was not speaking to the media for most of the year

It was also interesting that after the Packers loss to Seattle Boykins encouraged Quarless not to speak with the media

GOODBYE BOYKINS

Freak Out
01-25-2015, 06:21 PM

Yep....draft a QB.

Joemailman
02-16-2015, 02:05 PM
On a somewhat related note, Brandon Bostick's packer career is apparently over.

Brandon Bostick @Bostick11 · 40m 40 minutes ago

Thankful To Spend The First 3 Years Of My Career In GB. Unfortunately My Time There Has Ended. I Appreciate The Support From Everyone In GB!

red
02-16-2015, 02:07 PM
good, maybe you should learn HOW TO FOLLOW FUCKING DIRECTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fucking asshole

Guiness
02-16-2015, 02:15 PM

Thankful To Spend The First 3 Years Of My Career In GB. Unfortunately My Time There Has Ended. I Appreciate The Support From Everyone In GB!

Rob DemovskyVerified account ‏@RobDemovsky

Can confirm that the #Packers have released Brandon Bostick.

Joemailman
02-16-2015, 02:16 PM
His season started with him on the bench because he was a 3 year veteran running routes incorrectly. It ended with you know what. I guess he didn't get the importance of just doing your job the way it's supposed to be done. Some people will probably accuse TT of making him a scapegoat for the NFCC loss, but he was probably on his way out of Green Bay before that happened.

Guiness
02-16-2015, 02:20 PM
His season started with him on the bench because he was a 3 year veteran running routes incorrectly. It ended with you know what. I guess he didn't get the importance of just doing your job the way it's supposed to be done. Some people will probably accuse TT of making him a scapegoat for the NFCC loss, but he was probably on his way out of Green Bay before that happened.

Yup. I think they were keeping him around because he (theoretically) knew the system and his assignments, and it was less trouble than training up a new guy at that point in the season. When you really think about it, it was a TJ Rubley moment all over again, and like Rubley they never guessed when he went off the reservation is would end so spectacularly.

Cheesehead Craig
02-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Yup. I think they were keeping him around because he (theoretically) knew the system and his assignments, and it was less trouble than training up a new guy at that point in the season. When you really think about it, it was a TJ Rubley moment all over again, and like Rubley they never guessed when he went off the reservation is would end so spectacularly.

Sounds like a new award has been given birth. The TJ Rubley Award. The Award that goes to the Packer with the most boneheaded play that cost the team a win.

Pugger
02-16-2015, 04:13 PM

What game in Dallas? :cnf:

Pugger
02-16-2015, 04:16 PM
good, maybe you should learn HOW TO FOLLOW FUCKING DIRECTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fucking asshole

Com on Red, tell us how you really feel. :lol:

He did screw up but I do feel for the kid. I hope if he latches onto another team he learned a hard lesson to do what you are told.

Joemailman
02-16-2015, 04:27 PM
What game in Dallas? :cnf:

In 2013 with Rodgers out, threw 4 TD passes as Packers won 37-36.

mraynrand
02-16-2015, 04:42 PM

He did screw up but I do feel for the kid. I hope if he latches onto another team he learned a hard lesson to do what you are told.

Unless it's the Vikings, Bear, Lions, 49ers, Seahawks (LOL).....etc.....

red
02-16-2015, 05:37 PM

i don't, i hope his career over

he can't listen and follow directions on offense, and he can't follow directions on special teams

the guy is fucking worthless,

we would have been better off without him on the team this year

red
02-16-2015, 05:43 PM
i think he should do the world a favor and hang himself to be honest

Pugger
02-16-2015, 06:22 PM
In 2013 with Rodgers out, threw 4 TD passes as Packers won 37-36.

OH! :oops: Man, how could I have forgotten that game??? :lol:

Pugger
02-16-2015, 06:23 PM
i don't, i hope his career over

he can't listen and follow directions on offense, and he can't follow directions on special teams

the guy is fucking worthless,

we would have been better off without him on the team this year

Don't you want him on a team in the division? ;-) Evidently the poor smuck couldn't grasp the playbook so I doubt he'll find another job in the NFL.

esoxx
02-16-2015, 06:51 PM
Ironic he has the same initials as Bill Buckner.

Good riddance.

gbgary
02-16-2015, 08:11 PM
Tramon Williams - stay if cheap

Bryan Bulaga - Stay

Jarrett Bush - Go

B.J. Raji - Stay if cheap

Randall Cobb - Stay

Davon House - Stay

DuJuan Harris - Go...i guess.

Sean Richardson - meh

Don Barclay - Stay

Jarrett Boykin - Go

Jamari Lattimore - meh

Scott Tolzien - go

Matt Flynn - stay

John Kuhn - Stay i guess...but don't hand him the ball on that counter play. it's up the middle or nothing.

Letroy Guion - Stay

Chris Banjo - Stay

Brad Jones - Go

A.J. Hawk - Go

Julius Peppers - Stay if cheap enough.

woodbuck27
02-16-2015, 10:01 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/16/packers-te-brandon-bostick-indicates-he-will-be-released/

Brandon Bostick indicates Packers have parted ways with him

Posted by Mike Wilkening on February 16, 2015, 2:47 PM EST

" The 25-year-old Bostick hauled in nine passes for 123 yards and two TDs over two seasons with Green Bay (2013-2014). Regrettably, he is best known for mishandling an onside kick in the Packers’ NFC title-game loss at Seattle in January."

mraynrand
02-16-2015, 10:12 PM

I'm still surprised they let him on the plane

woodbuck27
02-16-2015, 10:23 PM
I'm still surprised they let him on the plane

Actually it appears from the reports that he got some love from fellow players.

As people we all screw up.

Guiness
02-16-2015, 10:32 PM

So you've met my ex-wife?

Cuz that's the level of screw up we're talking about here.

http://e0.365dm.com/15/01/660x350/nfl-brandon-bostick-green-bay-packers_3253894.jpg?20150119164137

woodbuck27
02-16-2015, 10:35 PM
" So you've met my ex-wife?

Cuz that's the level of screw up we're talking about here." Giuiness

I don't wamt to hear it... I don't want to hear it...I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT !! :-)

woodbuck27
02-16-2015, 10:38 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/13/report-colts-rb-ahmad-bradshaw-cited-for-marijuana-possession/

Report: Colts RB Ahmad Bradshaw faces marijuana possession charge

Posted by Mike Wilkening on February 13, 2015, 5:35 PM EST

Joemailman
02-16-2015, 10:46 PM
https://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/brandon-bostick-funny-memes-4.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=640

red
02-16-2015, 11:15 PM
LOL

Pugger
02-16-2015, 11:43 PM

From that tweet he sounds like a decent guy but evidently not a good football player. He'll probably end up in the Arena League.

pbmax
02-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Gary, how cheap enough is cheap enough for Peppers?

woodbuck27
02-17-2015, 08:40 AM

Julius Peppers delivered last season and he wants to remain a Packer.

GB Gary can inform us of his worth.

denverYooper
02-18-2015, 04:31 PM
Unless it's the Vikings, Bear, Lions, 49ers, Seahawks (LOL).....etc.....

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 8m8 minutes ago
Vikings have claimed former Packers TE Brandon Bostick off waivers.

esoxx
02-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Burn in hell!!!

gbgary
02-18-2015, 06:41 PM

forgot he had a 3 year deal. this year it's a pretty big bite (12m) but the Packers have cap space out the wazoo. get the priorities done, any other FAs done, and see how it settles. would like to see him back but wouldn't be surprised if he was let go.

Rastak
02-18-2015, 07:06 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 8m8 minutes ago
Vikings have claimed former Packers TE Brandon Bostick off waivers.

This dude have any redeeming qualities?

3irty1
02-18-2015, 07:27 PM
Most fans, myself included, need to recalibrate when it comes to what an average NFL salary costs these days. The average salary for a starter who isn't on a rookie contract is over 6 million. Guys like Bush, Hawk, Raji, and Kuhn probably aren't overpaid if they come back.

Joemailman
02-18-2015, 07:36 PM

He has the physical ability to play in the NFL. Mental lapses are his achilles heel.

Joemailman
02-18-2015, 07:39 PM
Most fans, myself included, need to recalibrate when it comes to what an average NFL salary costs these days. The average salary for a starter who isn't on a rookie contract is over 6 million. Guys like Bush, Hawk, Raji, and Kuhn probably aren't overpaid if they come back.

Hawk would be overpaid because he's not really a starter anymore. He's #22 in salary among ILB's. Brad Jones is #21.

pbmax
02-18-2015, 07:44 PM

What Joe said. If he gets a limited package to run or if he and BridgeOverTroubledWaters work out their own deal, he could be useful.

But he isn't precise.

Guiness
02-18-2015, 07:59 PM
forgot he had a 3 year deal. this year it's a pretty big bite (12m) but the Packers have cap space out the wazoo. get the priorities done, any other FAs done, and see how it settles. would like to see him back but wouldn't be surprised if he was let go.

He makes $9.5M next year, I think he's back.

KYPack
02-18-2015, 08:05 PM

NFL body for sure.

I'd sign him.

He will bust his ass to prove he's not a total POS.

Wouldn't let him near the "hands" team agin, tho.

3irty1
02-18-2015, 08:09 PM
Hawk would be overpaid because he's not really a starter anymore. He's #22 in salary among ILB's. Brad Jones is #21.

#22 in salary among ILB's doesn't necessarily mean starter money. Figure about a third of starters in the league are on rookie contracts making an average of 800k. Hawk's 4M or so puts him at the pay rate of a low-end starter high-end backup. Not unreasonable at all for him I think. If he doesn't contribute much that's a good problem to have but I'm anticipating rolling with some combo of rookies and unprovens in that position this year so a steady guy like Hawk is worth it IMO.

Jones should be delivering pizzas. Actually I don't know if I trust him with that.

gbgary
02-18-2015, 08:11 PM

but his cap hit is 12m.

Guiness
02-18-2015, 09:24 PM
but his cap hit is 12m.

Yes, but the other 2.5 is already spent - it's last season's signing bonus. It costs 9.5M of new money to keep this for 2015.

pbmax
02-18-2015, 09:31 PM

Yeah, the number isn't outlandish, and I am not sure how much he would want to reduce it. It jumps $6 mil in base, but his base last year was very low ($1 mil).

Its mainly the cap hit I think the everyone is speculating about but with a $7.5 mil signing bonus, there was going to be a hit even if he left early in the deal.

Patler
02-19-2015, 03:21 AM

When he first appeared on the scene, reporters said in practice they often confused Bostick and Finley. They looked and ran the same. Same athleticism.

I read in the last couple days, the reason he never saw the field on offense this year was because he never understood their no-huddle offense. After three seasons with the Packers, he still did not understand their offense.

Patler
02-19-2015, 03:41 AM
Yeah, the number isn't outlandish, and I am not sure how much he would want to reduce it. It jumps $6 mil in base, but his base last year was very low ($1 mil).

Its mainly the cap hit I think the everyone is speculating about but with a $7.5 mil signing bonus, there was going to be a hit even if he left early in the deal.

Another way to look at Peppers is this: Is he worth $7M to keep? That's the difference between his cap number as a player and the dead money ($5M) if he is released.

Last year, he played for $8.5 million in compensation (7.5 million signing bonus + 1M salary).
In 2015, his contract will pay him $9.5 million (8.5M salary, 500k workout bonus, 500k roster bonus).

It's hard to know how much less he would be willing to play for. Some older players have played for very little just to have a shot at the SB. If that motivates Peppers, last season should show him that the Packers will certainly have a good chance to get there.

Rastak
02-19-2015, 06:30 AM
NFL body for sure.

I'd sign him.

He will bust his ass to prove he's not a total POS.

Wouldn't let him near the "hands" team agin, tho.

I think I'll write that last part down and send it to Winter Park.

Cheesehead Craig
02-19-2015, 07:44 AM

If Winter Park doesn't know that already, you're in a whole lot of trouble.

mraynrand
02-19-2015, 07:56 AM

Tom Braatz will write you back.

Rastak
02-19-2015, 12:57 PM
If Winter Park doesn't know that already, you're in a whole lot of trouble.

For those that didn't get it, that was a joke......anyway, they apparently do. From the combine today:

"Zimmer said Bostick is a good athlete who will come in and compete with the guys on the roster. He also said he is a solid special teams player, though he couldn’t resist making a joke when asked about Bostick botching that onside kick in the NFC title game. “We’ll try not to put him on the onside kick team,” Zimmer said"

Joemailman
02-19-2015, 01:06 PM
I was ready to wish Bostick well in wherever his future career leads him. Then he went and signed with the Vikings.

mraynrand
02-19-2015, 01:39 PM
I was ready to wish Bostick well in wherever his future career leads him

me too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrEHk54f9OU

hoosier
02-19-2015, 03:36 PM

special teams

gbgary
02-19-2015, 04:02 PM
guess peppers is staying if you want to believe what mehcarthy said at combine today. good!

Yes, I do. I must be the only one who doesn't understand why that question keeps coming up. Yeah, I definitely believe Julius Peppers is going to be here. He was very comfortable. He had a great year. He made an impact both on the field and in the locker room. It was unique to get to know Julius Peppers through the process of once he signed as a free agent. I think he looks great in green and gold.

gbgary
02-20-2015, 03:31 PM
jones gone

Joemailman
02-20-2015, 09:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/18803/four-things-we-learned-at-the-combine-packers

According to a person familiar with Slocum’s instructions on the sideline, one of the last things he told his hands team before the play was this: "If your name isn't Jordy Nelson or Micah Hyde, don't try to field the ball." Of course, we all know that Brandon Bostick, who was released earlier this week, tried to catch it and failed, allowing the Seahawks to recover. Two weeks later Slocum, whose special teams units were problematic all season and allowed the Seahawks to run a fake field goal for a touchdown, was fired.

mraynrand
02-20-2015, 10:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/18803/four-things-we-learned-at-the-combine-packers

I guess Bostick is off Slocums' Christmas card list next year.

mraynrand
02-20-2015, 10:55 PM
Get my shuttle ready. I will take responsibility for the botched onside kick and apologize to Lord Stubby!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/nPrgD3KYA2c/maxresdefault.jpg

Apology Accepted, ST Captain Slocum!