PDA

View Full Version : If you could sign only one, would it be Bulaga or Cobb?

Patler
01-28-2015, 04:56 AM
assume you can sign just one, would you sign Bulaga or Cobb. Some background on how each performed in 2014, and what it might cost to sign them:

About Bulaga:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-faced-with-choices-as-bryan-bulaga-nears-free-agency-b99432596z1-290024481.html

About Cobb:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/will-packers-make-it-rain-for-randall-cobb-b99432591z1-290025191.html

Tough choice, but if I could sign only one, I think it would be Bulaga. As they say, it all starts up front.

Joemailman
01-28-2015, 06:14 AM
Cobb's ability to get open when Rodgers is under pressure would be sorely missed. More than Bulaga in my opinion. The Packers have some depth on the OL with Barclay coming back, who although not as good as Bulaga is a serviceable RT. And it looks like a pretty good year for OT's in the draft.

woodbuck27
01-28-2015, 06:45 AM
That one is easy:

TT has to sign Randall Cobb. He's an ascending flexible multi-talented strong offensive weapon.

He's arguably headed to being the teams legitimate NO. 1 WR. After him and Jordy Nelson and inspite of the promise Devante Adams showed in a rookie season; we have little guarantee at the position regarding depth.

The strength of the team is obviously on Offense. Randall Cobb played at a Pro Bowl level.

As good of a season as RT Bryan Bulaga had in 2014; his past injury history (hip and knee) and missing > 50 % or 27 of 53 of his games 2012-14 is a risk exceeding Randal Cobb's and the question of availability.

With an either / or question:

Sign WR Randall Cobb.

sharpe1027
01-28-2015, 07:19 AM
It really depends on how much they each want. Absent cost, I think having Bulaga is more important to the offense.

Patler
01-28-2015, 07:26 AM
GB seems to be able to find WRs whenever they really need one. I'm not suggesting that Cobb would be easy to replace, nor that he can be replaced in kind, but history suggests that the Packers could find someone useful enough that the offense wouldn't be slowed appreciably, even if it would be different.

On the other hand, GB has gone through a long list of OL draft picks and FAs, and only now seem to have a complete group of 5 starters that are adequate. Barclay is coming back from an ACL injury and was mediocre at best before the injury. Tretter is a big question mark at any position, and particularly anywhere but center.

Both players have an injury history, even if Bulaga has missed more games. I don't see a huge difference there.

Since the OL has a profound impact on Rodgers in the passing game, and on the running game regardless, I would still go with Bulaga and be confident that they will find a pass-catcher good enough for the offense to continue at a high level.

I will admit to personal bias, because as many of you know, I consider highly paid WRs to be very much over-valued from a salary cap management perspective.

woodbuck27
01-28-2015, 07:29 AM
GB seems to be able to find WRs whenever they really need one. I'm not suggesting that Cobb would be easy to replace, nor that he can be replaced in kind, but history suggests that the Packers could find someone useful enough that the offense wouldn't be slowed appreciably, even if it would be different.

On the other hand, GB has gone through a long list of OL draft picks and FAs, and only now seem to have a complete group of 5 starters that are adequate. Barclay is coming back from an ACL injury and was mediocre at best before the injury. Tretter is a big question mark at any position, and particularly anywhere but center.

Both players have an injury history, even if Bulaga has missed more games. I don't see a huge difference there.

Since the OL has a profound impact on Rodgers in the passing game, and on the running game regardless, I would still go with Bulaga and be confident that they will find a pass-catcher good enough for the offense to continue at a high level.

I will admit to personal bias, because as many of you know, I consider highly paid WRs to be very much over-valued from a salary cap management perspective.

OK so if it goes your way and Randall Cobb signs with Seattle.

How would that make you feel? Doesn't your stomach turn over just a little bit?

Cheesehead Craig
01-28-2015, 07:53 AM

Cobb's not signing with Seattle, that's just a scare tactic from you. They have to sign Wilson and Cliff Avril so that's going to eat up a big chunk of their cap that's available and they won't be able to spend the money that it would take to be in Cobb's salary range.

I'm torn on this one as both are very valuable to Rodgers' success. I'm going with Cobb. While they Pack have been able to get WRs, Cobb just seems to know what to do when Rodgers starts moving and just gets open and they are just on the same page. It's hard to find that in a WR. I figure that the Packers can just sign a Badgers OL player any year and lock up the T spot. I don't know why that's so hard for TT to see. ;)

EDIT: I'm just wondering what TT is going to do about 2019. Only Rodgers is signed for that year.

hoosier
01-28-2015, 08:31 AM
Bulaga's position is more important for the Packers offense, and TT has had a harder time filling it. That said, if they went to the draft for Cobb's replacement it would be at least a year before the replacement was ready to contribute at Cobb's current level. It is possible that a healthy Barclay could replace Bulaga and do an adequate job, but that leaves them awfully thin on the OL. My answer to the OP question is a resounding "yes!"

Patler
01-28-2015, 09:57 AM

Not any more so than if Bulaga signs with the Bears.
I really hope they find a way to re-sign both, but if it comes down to one or the other, I want Bulaga in GB.

woodbuck27
01-28-2015, 10:51 AM
Cobb's not signing with Seattle, that's just a scare tactic from you. They have to sign Wilson and Cliff Avril so that's going to eat up a big chunk of their cap that's available and they won't be able to spend the money that it would take to be in Cobb's salary range.

I'm torn on this one as both are very valuable to Rodgers' success. I'm going with Cobb. While they Pack have been able to get WRs, Cobb just seems to know what to do when Rodgers starts moving and just gets open and they are just on the same page. It's hard to find that in a WR. I figure that the Packers can just sign a Badgers OL player any year and lock up the T spot. I don't know why that's so hard for TT to see. ;)

EDIT: I'm just wondering what TT is going to do about 2019. Only Rodgers is signed for that year.

A scare tactic from me!? Are you serious?

Cliff Avril had 23 Tackles, 5 Sacks and 1 FF.

If I could replace that with Randall Cobb I'm going for it.

woodbuck27
01-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Not any more so than if Bulaga signs with the Bears.
I really hope they find a way to re-sign both, but if it comes down to one or the other, I want Bulaga in GB.

Randall Cobb on the formidable Seattle Seahawks is much more intimidating that Bryan Bulaga on the weak Chicago Bears.

sharpe1027
01-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Cobb won't do much good if Rodgers doesn't get time for Cobb to get open. Much of his best play occurs when the play is extended.

MadScientist
01-28-2015, 12:34 PM
I want Bulaga signed more than Cobb because I'm sick of OL changes every year giving Campen cover when the OL starts off blocking like complete dog shit. No excuses this year.

Maxie the Taxi
01-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Just as Teddy replaced Greg Jennings with Randall Cobb, and James Jones with Davante Adams, and Jermichael Finley with Richard Rodgers, so he will replace Cobb with Jared Abbrederis or a 4th round draft pick to be named later, like Tyler Lockette of Kansas State.

In fact, why not continue the trend and let Bulaga go as well? Teddy could easily draft Rob Havenstein in the 4th round and plug him into Bulaga's spot at RT.

Life goes on.

[I can't decide if this post is sarcasm or not.:???:]

Cheesehead Craig
01-28-2015, 01:02 PM

Whoops, I forgot that Avril already got his contract extension about a month ago. Oh, and he's rated in the top 10 in 4-3 DEs in the league. You forgot his 38 QB hurries this season. Incredibly disruptive player.

Patler
01-28-2015, 01:49 PM
Randall Cobb on the formidable Seattle Seahawks is much more intimidating that Bryan Bulaga on the weak Chicago Bears.

That may be, but I don't worry about who the other team has, only who "my" team has. Putting myself in the position of a GM (and I have been involved in player procurement for select teams in the past) I never worried about which players anyone else signed, because I can't control that. If we decided not to pursue a player, I never worried about another team that did. No point in it.

hoosier
01-28-2015, 02:27 PM
Let's say the Packers would need to offer Cobb $10M/year and Bulaga $9M/year to have a chance of retaining both. I have no clue what that would mean for their salary cap numbers. Does doing that mean they have to let both Williams and House go? Does it jeopardize their ability to re-sign Sitton next year?

woodbuck27
01-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Whoops, I forgot that Avril already got his contract extension about a month ago. Oh, and he's rated in the top 10 in 4-3 DEs in the league. You forgot his 38 QB hurries this season. Incredibly disruptive player.

Yes any discussion RE the ? and Seattle's Cliff Avril is moot but all the same:

38 QB hurries. It looks like you used ROTOWORLD as your reference. I don't see that Stat. ie on NFL.Com.

Salary-cap space was freed up after the trade of WR Percy Harvin to the NY Jets and Seattle locked up K.J. Wright and Cliff Avril in Dec. 2014.

I feel somehow the Green Bay Packers must keep pace with Seattle. Then again it was Seattle and San Francisco and their wheels fell off last season.

Seattle now has RDE Cliff Avril, LDE Michael Bennett, ROLB K.J. Wright, SS Cam Chancellor, LCB Sherman, and FS Earl Thomas all signed long term.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000459443/article/2015-nfl-unrestricted-free-agents-by-team

Seattle 2015 FA's include RCB Byron Maxwell who may be a priority.

I do understand the importance of the OL and RT and protecting Aaron Rodgers on that side. The fact remains that Randall Cobb is a main hookup for Rodgers and I'll be sad it if he leaves via FA.

woodbuck27
01-28-2015, 02:48 PM
That may be, but I don't worry about who the other team has, only who "my" team has. Putting myself in the position of a GM (and I have been involved in player procurement for select teams in the past) I never worried about which players anyone else signed, because I can't control that. If we decided not to pursue a player, I never worried about another team that did. No point in it.

Randall Cobb and Bryan Bulaga are both TT draft picks. Drafted and developed in the Packer system and both have to a more or less extent succeeded. Randal Cobb is a special player and offensive weapon who desires like Bryan Bulaga to remain with the team that drafted him.

We know that based on the past. Ted Thompson (by the channels that exists) will make an offer to them and see how they make out in Free Agency. I see that today TT has some real control and may offer each of these players appreciation. He can choose to make an offer that one/both may very well accept.

TT simply must get in gear and set his priorities..... yesterday. If you were the GM of this team wouldn't you have al that worked out?

esoxx
01-28-2015, 03:00 PM
Just as Teddy replaced Greg Jennings with Randall Cobb, and James Jones with Davante Adams, and Jermichael Finley with Richard Rodgers, so he will replace Cobb with Jared Abbrederis or a 4th round draft pick to be named later, like Tyler Lockette of Kansas State.

But that's not really what TT did. He signed Jennings, Jones, and Finley to deals after their rookie contracts were up. Cobb leaving now would break that mold. Draft & develop. Cobb is hitting his prime, not the TT way to let him walk now. He'll get the deal done.

pbmax
01-28-2015, 03:02 PM

If you watch Cliff Avril and you only see those numbers, you are missing most of his game.

Carolina_Packer
01-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Easy for me...Cobb. I'm not saying I don't want Bulaga, I just think Cobb is more rare at his position than Bulaga is at his. I hope they are both signed.

woodbuck27
01-28-2015, 03:32 PM
If you watch Cliff Avril and you only see those numbers, you are missing most of his game.

I'm not missing much on Cliff Avril when I watch Seattle play. I key on him and on several of the Seattle defenders reviewing recordings.

pbmax:

How would you compare Cliff Avril's contribution to the Seattle defense in terms of his pass and run defense?

pbmax
01-28-2015, 04:40 PM
I'm not missing much on Cliff Avril when I watch Seattle play. I key on him and on several of the Seattle defenders reviewing recordings.

pbmax:

How would you compare Cliff Avril's contribution to the Seattle defense in terms of his pass and run defense?

With 30+ pressures, he (and Michael Bennet) are their pass rush, and a four man pass rush makes that defense.

King Friday
01-28-2015, 05:53 PM
You have Aaron Rodgers.

That makes the choice easy. You keep Bulaga and ensure having a deep, talented OL to protect him.

While Cobb is a fabulous talent, a QB like Rodgers can make average talents look pretty damn good if he has an OL to protect him.

That said...with $30M+ available to spend if Thompson does the right thing and takes an axe to the deadwood on the roster...there is no need to have to make the choice. You keep both.

denverYooper
01-28-2015, 06:02 PM
I choose Cobbulaga!

KYPack
01-28-2015, 09:29 PM
It's going to be tough to shoehorn those contracts in our salary structure. Bulaga was at 4 mil last season. What kind of deal will he get on the market that we will have to match?

+ Bulaga was a 1st round pick, Cobb a 2. TT likes to roll his own and keep his roster intact. At least one of his high draft choices will walk. That's gotta be a tough call for Thompson.

My gut says Cobb, but man, it's right down the middle on this one.

mraynrand
01-28-2015, 09:37 PM

yep, tough call. Cobb is everything you want in a player in GB. He's passionate and dedicated. Does everything they ask, from anywhere on the field. Makes plays. Is in tune with Rodgers. Bulaga has just made strides where he is no longer troubled all that much by speed rushers. Good anchor on the right side. Willing blocker. Bulaga is a good not great tackle. Cobb is a good, instinctual WR, but is not a guy who gets separation all on his own. Both are security blankets on the O for their own different reasons.

Usually by this time TT would have them signed up. It sounded like for sure they were negotiating with Cobb. I'm betting other teams see Bulaga as a bigger need and Cobb as a fit for the GB offense, and not necessarily the guy for their offense. But there are offenses like Denver and NE who love a guy like Cobb.

I gotta do with Dyoop: Keep Cobbulaga!!!

ptisme
01-28-2015, 09:51 PM
I actually don't think declining on Cobb would be the worst thing if.... We used the money to completely shore up ILB and a TE to help our Red Zone offense... Keep Bulaga and Raji. Keep Peppers at more of an incentive laden contract and then take a WR early....

KYPack
01-28-2015, 09:54 PM
The semi-scary part of this is those deals are now over. Usually, TT announces a contract extension or new deal before that happens. When our players hit FA, they are pretty much gone. Some guys make it to contract end and resign (Hawk? Neal?), but not many.

That may not hold in these cases, these are big multi-year deals which impact a big part of our salary make-up.

I really think we can only do one of these "big boys". One major deal and we will barely have room to address other players, the rooks (less of a problem now) and Peppers. The "we've got 35 million in room" is more of a phantom than people think.

pbmax
01-28-2015, 09:58 PM
The semi-scary part of this is those deals are now over. Usually, TT announces a contract extension or new deal before that happens. When our players hit FA, they are pretty much gone. Some guys make it to contract end and resign (Hawk? Neal?), but not many.

That may not hold in these cases, these are big multi-year deals which impact a big part of our salary make-up.

I really think we can only do one of these "big boys". One major deal and we will barely have room to address other players, the rooks (less of a problem now) and Peppers. The "we've got 35 million in room" is more of a phantom than people think.

Technically, Hawk, Bulaga, Jones and Shields have gotten to FA but re-signed. So its possible at that late date. Bulaga is the concern there. He might be the highest rated tackle and might attract very early, very dumb money. Cobb has more competition.

A lot might depend on what Peppers is willing to do to lower that number. You know Capers and M3 want the big guy back.

Joemailman
01-28-2015, 10:14 PM
It's going to be tough to shoehorn those contracts in our salary structure. Bulaga was at 4 mil last season. What kind of deal will he get on the market that we will have to match?

+ Bulaga was a 1st round pick, Cobb a 2. TT likes to roll his own and keep his roster intact. At least one of his high draft choices will walk. That's gotta be a tough call for Thompson.

It would be unheard of for TT to let Cobb or Bulaga go. When TT drafts players who turn out to be really good, they always get a 2nd contract. They might not get a 3rd, but they always get a 2nd. I'd be shocked if he lets Cobb get away. I'd be slightly less surprised if he let Bulaga go. TT can save about 18 million by letting Tramon, Hawk, B. Jones and Bush go.

KYPack
01-28-2015, 10:44 PM
It would be unheard of for TT to let Cobb or Bulaga go. WTT can save about 18 million by letting hen TT drafts players who turn out to be really good, they always get a 2nd contract. They might not get a 3rd, but they always get a 2nd. I'd be shocked if he lets Cobb get away. I'd be slightly less surprised if he let Bulaga go. Tramon, Hawk, B. Jones and Bush go.

Each man in that latter group has lost physicality, quickness, and overall speed. I'd take Bush and Tramon (At a smaller, shorter contract).

AJ & Jones?

Hawk should retire and Jonesy should move on to a team where he can play effectively. I have no idea where that team is.

woodbuck27
01-29-2015, 06:08 AM
Each man in that latter group has lost physicality, quickness, and overall speed. I'd take Bush and Tramon (At a smaller, shorter contract).

AJ & Jones?

Hawk should retire and Jonesy should move on to a team where he can play effectively. I have no idea where that team is.

Has Brad Jones ever considered lawn bowling?

mraynrand
01-29-2015, 09:34 AM
Has Brad Jones ever considered lawn bowling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ptiDjFNaXQ

wist43
01-29-2015, 05:09 PM
No contest - Cobb.

Buluga is just another 1st round JAG. Not a bust, but not a great player either - average.

Pugger
01-29-2015, 07:25 PM
You have Aaron Rodgers.

That makes the choice easy. You keep Bulaga and ensure having a deep, talented OL to protect him.

While Cobb is a fabulous talent, a QB like Rodgers can make average talents look pretty damn good if he has an OL to protect him.

That said...with $30M+ available to spend if Thompson does the right thing and takes an axe to the deadwood on the roster...there is no need to have to make the choice. You keep both.

How long have we longed for an O line that can protect The Franchise? If we keep Bulaga we just might end up with one of the top O lines in the league.

I too hope we can keep both.

Patler
01-29-2015, 07:56 PM
No contest - Cobb.

Buluga is just another 1st round JAG. Not a bust, but not a great player either - average.

JAG?? Some would disagree with you on that. From the JSO article I linked:

According to Pro Football Focus, the only right tackles to have better overall years than Bulaga were New England's Sebastian Vollmer, Philadelphia's Lane Johnson and Baltimore's Ricky Wagner. And Wagner was the only right tackle with a higher pass blocking grade than Bulaga.

King Friday
01-29-2015, 09:24 PM
Most would disagree on wist's viewpoint of Bulaga.

Bulaga is certainly not JAG. I can agree with the sentiment that he isn't great, simply because he hasn't been been able to play consistently like he did in 2014. Whether it is injury or changing position or whatever...he's had periods of mediocrity that count against him. However, I believe his play in 2014 proves that he has settled in at RT and can play at a very high level if he can stay on the field.

Someone who is JAG does not play at a high level for any noteworthy period of time.

pittstang5
01-30-2015, 08:47 AM
I vote for Cobb.

I like Bulaga, but his injury history is the determining factor for me.

ThunderDan
01-30-2015, 08:56 AM
I pick Bulaga.

We finally had a well functioning OL for once, let's try and keep it together for a few more years.

woodbuck27
02-09-2015, 04:42 PM
Monday Feb. 09, 2015

Milwaukee- Wisconsin...Journal Sentinel

Which Packers free agent should be the team’s top priority?

Randall Cobb (70%)

Bryan Bulaga (27%)

Tramon Williams (1%)

Someone else (1%)

Total Responses: 3129

HarveyWallbangers
02-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Unless the money is completely out of whack, I easily choose Cobb. Mainly due to health concerns. Cobb had the one injury, but has been health 3 of 4 years. Bulaga has only been healthy 2 of 5 years.

smuggler
02-10-2015, 12:43 AM
I'd pick Bulaga, depending on the health of Abbrederis.

woodbuck27
02-10-2015, 06:47 AM
But that's not really what TT did. He signed Jennings, Jones, and Finley to deals after their rookie contracts were up. Cobb leaving now would break that mold. Draft & develop. Cobb is hitting his prime, not the TT way to let him walk now. He'll get the deal done.

With the changes that we're now seeing in regards to offense and coaching /play calling. I'll be surprized if TT lets either leave Green Bay. As you posted TT is a draft and develop GM. Both of these players are TT success stories when he's had plenty of failures.

It's time for Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews to help out.To consider what restructuring their contracts will do to keep the Packers strong and to remain in the conversation for a Super Bowl. Take away Randall Cobb or in that case disagree with a representative Packer Nation Poll and you certainly hurt the Packer 'O'.

Ted Thompson and the Packer Powers should be looking at their quality QB and a five year window. Both of these Packers want to stay in Green Bay. Don't allow Randall Cobb to get away.

Here's the good news Packerrats.

Ted Thompson will find a way to sign Randall Cobb unless his price tag goes through the roof exceeding Packer CAP responsibility. Tick tock....the time is soon at hand and Free Agency 30 days away.

3irty1
02-10-2015, 10:01 AM
If I could absolutely only have 1 it'd be Cobb I think. One the one hand Bulagas position is probably more important and I don't particularly like having guys like Cobb who need 100 catches per year realize their value. On the other hand Cobb is a premiere slot option on a team that already lacks much at TE, he has special teams value, and one of the best locker room guys in the NFL.

Also Bulaga stands out as a guy who really came out flat on the road this season and was a big reason why we had an offense that was more inconsistent than our notoriously inconsistent defense.

woodbuck27
02-17-2015, 09:52 AM
Comment woodbuck27:

Starting yesterday Mon. 16 Feb. 2015, NFL teams could apply the Franchise Tag as they feel that's needed.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/2/16/8046759/franchise-tag-2015-packers-randall-cobb-bryan-bulaga

Franchise Tag 2015: Why the Packers will not tag Randall Cobb or Bryan Bulaga

By: Evan "Tex" Western @TexWestern on Feb 16, 2015, 1:00 PM

"...neither player plays a position that lends itself to the high dollar values associated with the Franchise Tag. "

Comment woodbuck27: Wasn't it in 2012 that the NY GIANTS applied the Franchise tag to their punter.

pbmax
02-17-2015, 09:54 AM
If I could absolutely only have 1 it'd be Cobb I think. One the one hand Bulagas position is probably more important and I don't particularly like having guys like Cobb who need 100 catches per year realize their value. On the other hand Cobb is a premiere slot option on a team that already lacks much at TE, he has special teams value, and one of the best locker room guys in the NFL.

Also Bulaga stands out as a guy who really came out flat on the road this season and was a big reason why we had an offense that was more inconsistent than our notoriously inconsistent defense.

Do you think there is a price lower than market FA for a RT that Ted will let Bulaga walk and trust that Tretter or Barclay can play RT?

I don't think there is if market is between $6-7 mil per year. Above that, I think he goes unless Cobb can't be brought back.

Patler
02-17-2015, 10:35 AM

This year? Do you really think so? As one article that was linked here somewhere noted, Bulaga pretty much shut out Mario Williams in Buffalo. Williams was unheard from until Bulaga went out with the concussion late in the game, and Tretter came in. Bulaga was redeeming himself against Seattle until he hurt his knee and Sherrod came in.

I thought Bulaga was pretty consistent this year, home and away; and he got better as the year progressed. Not surprising, after missing and entire year+ .

Pugger
02-17-2015, 10:46 AM
This year? Do you really think so? As one article that was linked here somewhere noted, Bulaga pretty much shut out Mario Williams in Buffalo. Williams was unheard from until Bulaga went out with the concussion late in the game, and Tretter came in. Bulaga was redeeming himself against Seattle until he hurt his knee and Sherrod came in.

I thought Bulaga was pretty consistent this year, home and away; and he got better as the year progressed. Not surprising, after missing and entire year+ .

Yes, I thought Bulaga played very well this past season. I would think a high priority would be to keep #12 upright and healthy. Without AR it really doesn't matter who we have a WR IMO.

pbmax
02-17-2015, 05:54 PM
He had some rough goes at pass pro on the road, including the Seattle game, though to be fair I do not recall a particular play. He was getting beat by speed. He might not have given up a sack but his guy was forcing Rodgers to react, which was bad because Bach's guy was doing the same.

woodbuck27
02-17-2015, 09:47 PM
..... Edit ....

Here's the good news Packerrats.

Ted Thompson will find a way to sign Randall Cobb unless his price tag goes through the roof exceeding Packer CAP responsibility. Tick tock....the time is soon at hand and Free Agency 30 days away.

Right now I'm not so sure that Ted Thompson will sign Randall Cobb.

Bretsky
02-21-2015, 03:03 PM
you sign both....but due to health, age, and his upside I think you need to keep Cobb

Patler
02-21-2015, 03:59 PM
you sign both....but due to health, age, and his upside I think you need to keep Cobb

I don't think age is a consideration at all. Bulaga (March 21, 1989) is only 17 months older than Cobb (August 22, 1990). Both are very young for hitting free agency

vince
02-21-2015, 04:36 PM
That's a trick question to which there's no right answer.

I'd have to pick Cobb because of the dearth of proven talent behind him. I don't see how Abrederis is anything but a huge question mark at this point. Maybe Adams can play in the slot and Janis has potential, but that's too many questions for my taste. Plus it takes some time to get on the same page with Rodgers. Cobb is the only really good answer.

At least we've seen Barclay play and get by before the injury.

Bretsky
02-21-2015, 09:03 PM
I don't think age is a consideration at all. Bulaga (March 21, 1989) is only 17 months older than Cobb (August 22, 1990). Both are very young for hitting free agency

Would it be fair to say WR's have a longer lifeline in the NFL ?

Guiness
02-21-2015, 09:31 PM

Lifespan? I'd say that after QBs, OL have the longest career length. They don't have to worry about losing a step, and it's easier to maintain your strength as you get older. Veteran tricks are useful on the line, not so much in a footrace.

smuggler
02-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Lifespan is largely irrelevant, since they will both still (presumably) be productive through the end of their upcoming contracts.

pbmax
02-22-2015, 11:43 AM

I don't think they do. A lot of older lineman. Not nearly as many old WRs.

Pugger
02-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Someone on another forum said he heard Denver offered Bulaga $9M/year a contract and Barclay signed a 3 year deal with Indy. Have any of you heard anything about either player? I've scoured the Internet and there is nothing out there at all.

pbmax
02-22-2015, 12:12 PM
Someone on another forum said he heard Denver offered Bulaga $9M/year a contract and Barclay signed a 3 year deal with Indy. Have any of you heard anything about either player? I've scoured the Internet and there is nothing out there at all.

Considering no one can do that yet (and the only way to get caught tampering is to go public while doing it) its a non-starter.

Patler
02-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Lifespan is largely irrelevant, since they will both still (presumably) be productive through the end of their upcoming contracts.

Exactly. Each could still be in their prime when they again are free agents