PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mac

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2006, 05:49 PM
McCarthy focuses on building a winner
Posted: Aug. 30, 2006

Green Bay - Ted Thompson called it a gut feeling.

Green Bay's general manager said there was never one specific thing that led him to hire Mike McCarthy as the 14th head coach in the team's long and storied history. Instead, there were several reasons Thompson settled on the 42-year old McCarthy.

"I liked his demeanor. I like the fact that he's a tough guy and he understands exactly what kind of football player he wants on our team," Thompson said last week. "He has the ability to see the big picture as well as focus on the little things that I think are very, very important for a team in discipline and things like that.

"But I think it was the whole package. There wasn't any one overriding thing. It was the whole package. It was a gut call where I felt like he was the right person at the right time for this place."

Time will tell if Thompson's bold move pays dividends.

McCarthy had never been a head coach at any level. The offense he coordinated in San Francisco in 2005 ranked last in football. And until the New York Jets hired 35-year old wunderkind Eric Mangini, McCarthy was the youngest head coach in the NFL for five days.

Just three days before Green Bay was routed in Cincinnati, 48-17, McCarthy sat down with Packer Plus reporter Rob Reischel to discuss several issues about his team. What follows is an edited version of that interview.

Q:Both you and Ted have refused to use the term rebuilding. Do you stand by that after a full training camp?

A: Depends on how you look at it. To me, rebuilding's more of a mind-set from the chair I sit it. And if you want to justify your rebuilding, you usually can. Just look at the experience of our roster. I think rebuilding, I think youth, I think inexperience, I think injuries, I look at them all as excuses. I look at them as chinks in your armor that people are trying to either get at you with or justify. One thing I don't ever want to put in that locker room is self-justification on why something went wrong. It's all about what we need to do to make it right. I'm fully aware of how much experience we have and where guys are at in their development. But if you're on this football team, you have a responsibility to perform at a level that puts us in position to win football games. Period. That's the way I look at.

Q:How would you assess your first training camp? What have you been happiest with and what did you want to accomplish that you haven't?

A: Just from a structure standpoint, I think we've done a very good job, particularly first year out of the gate. It wasn't like we had to change the schedule a bunch of times, so I think that's a credit to the preparation we put into it in the off-season and that our plan works. I think we created an environment that our players have been able to prosper in. The classroom's the classroom and practice is for practicing. I'm very big on having a lot of conversations (on the practice field) where we're stopping the drills and talking about things that are done in the classroom and I think players have adjusted to that. I've also been happy with our tempo . . . and that's a credit to our players and the coaches and the support staff. I feel like we're a conditioned football team and our way has reflected that. I feel good about all that. I've changed a lot of minor things with the schedule, but I've always believed in this schedule. I've had the benefit of being part of this schedule in the past and have been able to apply it to our structure here and I think that's been beneficial. I feel like we have this team in position to go and challenge this season.

Q:Ted has referred to you as being "Pittsburgh Macho" which is a reflection of your toughness. Did this team need to get tougher and do you feel you've succeeded there?

A: I think that's the way football's supposed to be played and I also think that coincides with our history here. I think it reflects and emulates the people of Wisconsin. It's a blue-collar approach. When I was hired here, it was the right fit for the tradition and history of the Green Bay Packers. It's something our fan base, and it's the best fan base in the world, can sink their teeth into and be proud of.

The bottom line, though, is winning football games and championships. But I'm a believer in that philosophy and I think that's the way we've got to go. Comparing it to the way they were before, that's really irrelevant. There's a lot of positive things that have gone on here in the past and we chose to keep those in place. But there are also things I did not agree with in the past and I've moved away from those and have gone in a different direction. I didn't discuss it or use it to sell my program. That's not my belief. I know it's common practice, but I don't think it's necessary.

Q:You inherited a team that went 4-12. What were your impressions of the group you took over?

A: From an offensive standpoint, I saw a team that changed over the years because I was here in '99. They went in a different direction offensively and defensively, it seemed like they were changing a lot and bringing in different coordinators over a period of years they were here. That's why I felt it was important to hire (defensive coordinator) Bob Sanders for a number of reasons. That was very important to me. You strive for consistency in everything you do. And what went on here in the past, they won a lot of games. There were a lot of good players. But that's the past. I think it's important to not just flush it all away because it wasn't all bad.

Q:Has it been a challenge for you to get the respect of the locker room? Have you?

A: I feel I have it, but I never lacked confidence as an assistant or a coordinator to feel I have to go in there and win it. I always felt if you treat people the way you want to be treated and you are who you are, you'll be respected as so. I am the head coach by title and it's my job responsibility and I will use that position in accordance to the way I feel it needs to be used. I believe in treating people right. I believe in paying forward. I believe in doing what's best for the organization.

Q:Who are two or three players who have surprised you in a favorable way this camp?

A: Tony Moll clearly. If you would have told me in May that he was going to be our starting right guard, I would have took that bet in a heartbeat because Tony looked like a developmental player. I would say he's clearly the one that's made the biggest jump. (Safety Marviel) Underwood was having a good camp. (Safety Tyrone) Culver, too. Culver in shorts didn't jump out at you. I think those two guys on defense.

Q:Who are a couple guys who have disappointed you?

A: Disappointed? I won't ever say I'm disappointed in guys, but there's a difference between being disappointed and expecting more, if that makes sense. I'll probably wait to answer that for another week.

Q:San Francisco ranked 32nd in total offense and defense last year. Taking the quarterbacks out of the mix, how would you compare the two rosters?

A: Night and day. Well, there are some similarities. They're both very young and the team last year in San Francisco had some very good veteran leadership. They've got some guys that are a lot like our guys, like Brett Favre. There's a lot of similarities with veteran leadership there. But we played seven rookies last year in San Francisco on offense. And we played not to lose. I'm not making excuses for our offense because that offensive group I coached showed up every day, they busted their ass. This roster here may be a little younger, actually. But I would say watching the Packers last year on film, they were clearly a better offense than we were. And I'll tell you, it wasn't any fun calling games there last year because we slowed the game down and came out and milked the clock from Day 1. And we did it for the right reasons. But it's not the way you want to play. I don't think we'll have to play that way here.

Q: There's a prevailing thought that Brett Favre hasn't been coached since Mike Holmgren left here in 1998. How do you feel he's taken to you?

A: I coached him in '99, so I take offense to that. I have a lot of respect for Brett on a personal level and the way he goes about his business. I think the perception of coaching him and the reality, from my experience, is not intact. I think he's one of the most coachable quarterbacks I've ever worked with. His father was a coach. I've never found him disrespectful. I find that when he disagrees, it's in a respectable manner. We go back and forth on plays all the time and I kid him and (offensive coordinator Jeff) Jagodzinski that if we keep going the way we're going, I'm not even going to recognize the offense. So there's a lot of give and take. It's healthy. It's very healthy. As far as being demanding, there's really no one harder on him than himself. I enjoy coaching him. I enjoy being around him. If I have a complaint it's that I'm not in that quarterback room enough.

Q: Favre was responsible for 36 turnover plays a year ago, a number that makes it virtually impossible to win football games. If he's on a similar path this year, would you play Aaron Rodgers?

A: I don't think that's a fair question. It's one everybody wants to jump their teeth into. I guess I'm avoiding it because it doesn't even make sense for me to answer that question. You can't even win that conversation. If he throws that many interceptions (29), I'm a big part of that too because I'm the one calling the plays. Part of being the coach, the offensive game-planner and the offensive play-caller, there is responsibility that I have in that, good or bad.

Q:Favre will be 37 in October and is clearly declining? How much has he lost since you coached him seven years ago?

A: Other than (John) Elway, I never saw a guy throw the ball like him before with the velocity. And he plays the game in such an attacking mode. He's so damn aggressive. He's not like he was then, but he was in a different league then. But he can still throw the ball with anybody in the league. I think back then, he had a great arm. Now, he has an excellent arm. The guy can still sling it.

Q:San Francisco passed on Aaron Rodgers to take Alex Smith with the No. 1 pick in 2005. What have you thought of Rodgers?

A: He's getting better. You're looking at a guy who's going to mature. He's got athletic ability that people still haven't seen. I don't want to see it too much and get his ass hurt. But he's physically gifted. He can throw the ball with anybody in the league. I don't know where it came from, but I totally disagree that he doesn't have any arm strength. That is so inaccurate. If you were at the guy's college workout and watched him throw, what were you looking at? I was there at Cal-Berkeley the day he threw and he has excellent velocity on the ball. And he's only going to get stronger and he's going to throw with even better velocity. He's confident and has a really good understanding of what's going on. I just think from the film I watched last year, he's really improved. He has a chance to be a really good player.

Q:Could you win with Rodgers this year?

A: I think I can win with whoever I play. You have to find ways to win, whatever your probability is. And if we had to play with him, I'd be very confident. But I'd say that about any of our guys.

Q:It's hard to win in this league period, much less with rookies. You'll start two rookie guards. How much does that concern you?

A: I'm actually excited about it. Hey, I'm a rookie head coach. I hope they're as excited for me as I am for them. It's a great opportunity for us to grow together. They're young men with bright futures. It's just they've got to grow up fast and that's OK. If they couldn't handle it, we wouldn't put them in there.

Q:Ahman Green still has a lot to prove. The rest of the running backs have been rather mediocre through training camp. The running game appears very unsettled, correct?

A: Well, (Green) is a Pro Bowl back. There's no doubt about that. And then we've got a bunch of young guys. You never really know. I've been through it enough that you can't really sweat it until you get into it because who's to say what Samkon (Gado) could do if you give him 16 games. Who's to say what Najeh (Davenport) or Noah Herron and Arliss Beach could do. You never really know.

Q:If Green is a shell of his former self, though, aren't you in a world of trouble?

A: No. No. It's a starting point of our offense and it has to go. If it doesn't, then our offense will suffer.

Q:For five years here, Robert Ferguson has done nothing but disappoint. You've said he's likely to be one of your starting receivers when the season begins. Why?

A: He's made a favorable impression. Robert was solid through the off-season. He's done a really good job in the offense. He knows all three positions. That I didn't know about him, so that's very encouraging. He's a big physical guy and we can play to that. I'd like to see him be every day consistent and that guy that Donald (Driver) has been for us. But I wouldn't say he's disappointed me at all. You get that far up in your career and you don't have enough belts on the wall, it's a concern. But we're giving him every opportunity to succeed.

Q:This defense fared well in certain categories last year like pass defense (first) and total defense (seventh). But when it mattered at the end of close games, they typically collapsed. What kind of step forward do they appear capable of making?

A: We've added playmakers and have good depth in the D-line. I think if we stay healthy there, we'll be able to be better. If we can just go out and play to our scheme and play consistently . . . everybody wants to talk about the ranking, but rankings really don't mean anything in my opinion on a 4-12 team. They give you something to build off of. But the only true rankings on poor football teams is if they're consistently throughout.

And I'm not trying to take away from what they did last year . . . but you can do whatever you want with statistics. I just think if you look at the big picture, it will make a little more sense to you. But I feel good about what we've done here defensively and I believe in Bob Sanders and putting his blueprint on the defense.

But I'd rather have the 12th-ranked defense and have twice as many turnovers. Those are the things I think you need to look for. If you take just one statistic to make your point, you're never wrong in your argument.

Q:The kicking game is probably as unsettled as any in football. How concerning is that area of your team?

A: Well, unsettled is a little drastic. It's a work in progress. We're giving guys that haven't done it before opportunities. Until proven otherwise, we're going to stay the course with them. That's why we felt it was important to release the other kicker and punter involved because we wanted to give a guy a full opportunity. And it's all about opportunities and that's what we've done with (Dave) Rayner and Jonny (Ryan). Now it's up to them to take full advantage of it.

Q:You signed a three-year contract here. Because coaches almost never reach the final year of a contract, you're in essence working with a two-year deal meaning you won't get the standard honeymoon many coaches receive. How much pressure do you feel to win right away?

A: The contract? I'm very confident and comfortable in the contract I signed and the length of it. I look at this, regardless of what happens, I'll always be thankful for this opportunity. Whether it's one year or 21 years. It's a very simple business: either you do or you don't. Either you do it the right way or the wrong way. When you get an opportunity, either you make the best of it or you sit there and look for excuses and try and buy yourself another year. I'm not interested in trying to buy myself another year, because quite frankly, I'll make the money in the long run. It's not about the money. It's about winning a championship and to be a part of an organization of this magnitude. That's what I'm in it for.

Q:You were a surprise hire to many except maybe yourself. But do you ever take a moment, reflect and ask yourself, 'How did I get here?'

A: Absolutely. It's common to take a walk out in the tunnel and say a prayer. I'm very blessed and appreciative.

Q:How much different is your life today than 12 months ago?

A: It's a lot different. It's a fishbowl and a microscope on your personal life and I don't find that comfortable at all. They're very respectful, but I don't like being that popular. And I don't mind it either. It's not that I hide from it. It's just different. And I know this is the easy part, because once the games start, it's a little different. But right now, the people could not be nicer.

Q: Mike Sherman was generally regarded as a grinder, getting to work at 5 a.m., leaving some days at midnight. Do you need to punch that kind of clock? Will you?

A: I grew up in the business of punching the clock. I also grew up with an individual that maximized his time. My father's the hardest-working person I've ever been around, but he doesn't waste time. I've been in the office at 4 in the morning, I've slept in the office. I've done all that. Regardless of who was here before, I'll match my work ethic against anybody. But I'm not going to stay here just to stay here.

And if we're not getting the things done that we need to get done in a timely fashion, it's one of two things: time management's poor or we're doing too much. There's no need to be here until 4 in the morning. I think the most important thing is for your coaches to be fresh. I've walked on the practice field as an assistant coach tired and I've walked on the practice field not tired. I'm a better coach when I'm not tired.

And I believe that guys that sit there and brag about how hard they work, they're hiding something. Everybody in the NFL works hard. You wouldn't be in the National Football League if you didn't work hard. And if you don't work hard, you won't be here long. You'll be exposed.

Q:The NFC North was a combined six games under .500 last year and doesn't appear any better today. What's realistic for your team? Can you be a factor in the division, or might that be a couple years down the road?

A: Well, I think parity's very evident in the NFL. Usually one team jumps up every year. With that in mind, it's so important to play to who you are, offense, defense and special teams. If you stay away from your weaknesses, play to your strengths, don't beat yourself, you'll be in every game, especially early in the season.

Early in the season, more games are lost than won and the probability of making the playoffs based on your first four games is a big indicator on how the team's going to do. Some people want to ask how many games we can win. Seriously, I'm trying to win them all.

You tell me at the end of the year how many I won. Our intention is to win the division, get home-field advantage and win the Super Bowl. That will always be the goal. Now how close we'll get to that goal, we're going to have to talk at the end of the year.

woodbuck27
08-30-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm readng this carefully Harvey with as much insight as I can gather.

I'll be looking for M3 to answer all questions, with a straght up manner. :mrgreen:

THANKS

woodbuck27
08-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Harvey:

Rob Reischel is a tough interviewer.

He often asked the very difficult question, but alot of the time he framed the question or tried to pidgeon hole Mike McCarthy, who in my opinion was cautious with responses, in a good sense. He also is a man that won't get bull'd by a reporter.

He's intelligent and doesn't demonstrate any awkwardness,

I detected that McCarthy was fair, supportive and loyal in regard to his players and the Traditions and History of the Green Bay Packers. He's a man of respect and that will go a long ways in getting deserved respect. Without that he's doomed.

He certainly comes off to me as a man that is straight up, or down to earth yet, do I detect some naivety in him?

I'll read that interview a few more times Harvey.

GO PACKERS ! FAITH in 2006 and Beyond !!

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Woody,

I got the same feeling. I think McCarthy did a good job with a tough interview.

FavreChild
08-30-2006, 08:03 PM
He interviews a bazillion times better than TT (Executive Vice President of BS), that's for sure.

Rastak
08-30-2006, 08:41 PM
He interviews a bazillion times better than TT (Executive Vice President of BS), that's for sure.

Yea, that was good interview...