PDA

View Full Version : Official Super Bowl XLIX Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

woodbuck27
02-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I mean to ask about the Patriots. I edited the original while you answered.

New England had TWO TO's remaining. The Patriots used one TO here:

Timeout #1 by NE at 02:52 of the 4th Qtr.

mraynrand
02-02-2015, 11:25 AM
That's the first thing I thought of seeing that play.

MNF Packers and Minnesota in OT....if I remember it correctly.

I was watching that game with friends (all Packer fans) and we were amazed. :whaa:

just another great throw by Wilson

pbmax
02-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Marshawn Lynch was 1 for 5 from the 1 yard line this year. Heard this on radio, it was said to be on Twitter, but cannot find it.

Anyone else here this?

pbmax
02-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Did Michael Bennett, who looked to be taking over the game in the 3rd Quarter, disappear at the same time Avril did?

woodbuck27
02-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Did Michael Bennett, who looked to be taking over the game in the 3rd Quarter, disappear at the same time Avril did?

4th Qtr.

Timeout #1 by NE at 02:52.

1-5-SEA 5 (2:52) 71-C.Fleming has reported as eligible. 29-L.Blount up the middle to SEA 3 for 2 yards (72-M.Bennett).

2-3-SEA 3 (2:06) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 11-J.Edelman for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Bossman641
02-02-2015, 12:26 PM

Yes

pbmax
02-02-2015, 12:30 PM
FiveThirtyEight ‏@FiveThirtyEight 5h5 hours ago
During the 2014 season, 57.5% of all rushing plays from the opponent’s 1 yard-line ended in touchdowns. http://53eig.ht/1z3VpiA #SuperBowl

pbmax
02-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Yes

I wonder about it. Everyone says BB schemed him away, but its seems too coincidental they lost Avril about the same time.

wist43
02-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Both coaches were stupid on that last play - last minute.

Belichick should have called a TO; and Carroll should have run...

NE's DC pulled a few dunderdummy moves during the game as well... Seattle's TD at the end of the 1st half comes to mind - just let the receiver run into the end zone and pitch and catch?? With 6 seconds on the clock?? Really?? Straight out of dunderdummy's playbook. There were a few others as well, but I had a few drinks and can't remember, lol...

Bossman641
02-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Marshawn Lynch was 1 for 5 from the 1 yard line this year. Heard this on radio, it was said to be on Twitter, but cannot find it.

Anyone else here this?

I don't have stats on this year specifically, but he is 5/12 in those situations over the past 3 years.

The really damning thing for Seattle is that NE was horrible in short yardage situations. Worst team in the league in "power-running situations" and fifth worst at "stuffing" power runs (no gain or a loss).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

On the flip side, Seattle was very good at converting power situations and rarely got stuffed.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Bossman641
02-02-2015, 12:43 PM

Anyone else here this?

Here you go PB

He was 1/3 against the Giants and 0/1 against both SF and DEN

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny.cgi?id=n5YDo

pbmax
02-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Found it!

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 2h2 hours ago
Marshawn Lynch ran the ball 5 times from 1-yard line during regular season. He only scored ONCE.

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt · 34m 34 minutes ago
Of the 11 RBs w/ at least 250 carries thias season, only LeVeon Bell (14.5%) had lower % of stuffs/carry than M. Lynch (17.1%)

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt · 31m 31 minutes ago
By comparison, No. 11 on that list, LeSean McCoy, was stuffed 21.8% of the time. Lynch had 280 carries, was stuffed 48x (17.1%)

pbmax
02-02-2015, 12:48 PM
On the other hand, multiple stats folks mentioned the Patriots were not the best power run stopping team in the League. However, goalline is often a different animal.

Revis told someone they were in goalline + 3 CBs for the last play. One linebacker was off the LOS.

Bossman641
02-02-2015, 12:50 PM
On the other hand, multiple stats folks mentioned the Patriots were not the best power run stopping team in the League. However, goalline is often a different animal.

Revis told someone they were in goalline + 3 CBs for the last play. One linebacker was off the LOS.

Patriots had allowed 5 rushing TD on 6 attempts from the 1 during the regular season and playoffs

pbmax
02-02-2015, 12:54 PM
Patriots had allowed 5 rushing TD on 6 attempts from the 1 during the regular season and playoffs

Brutal. Its almost as if you need to be prepared to do both.

Cheesehead Craig
02-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Both coaches were stupid on that last play - last minute.

Belichick should have called a TO; and Carroll should have run...

NE's DC pulled a few dunderdummy moves during the game as well... Seattle's TD at the end of the 1st half comes to mind - just let the receiver run into the end zone and pitch and catch?? With 6 seconds on the clock?? Really?? Straight out of dunderdummy's playbook. There were a few others as well, but I had a few drinks and can't remember, lol...

Good to know that the two teams in the SB also have dunderdummies for DCs.

pbmax
02-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Its almost as if when things do not work as planned, people everywhere look stupid.

mraynrand
02-02-2015, 01:07 PM

Anyone else here this?

so if he had 5 runs, there's a 100% chance he scores, right?

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsG/tve6911-19711204-231.jpg

wist43
02-02-2015, 01:07 PM
That's got nothing to do with what happened at the end there...

Belichick needed to call a TO to preserve the clock in case Seattle scored - which they should have, had they run Lynch. Belichick reduced his teams chances by not calling a TO. That they got lucky and Carroll/Bevell went braindead too is not the point.

As for Carroll - I'll accept his explaination that they might could only run it twice, although I think they could have gotten another play off had they been stuffed twice. He said they planned on running it twice after the throw; but I, like most everyone else thought the play there was to run it again on 2nd down and punch it in.

pbmax
02-02-2015, 02:53 PM
Mike Sando, ESPN.com ✔ @SandoESPN
Follow
5th time since ‘01 a tm down 4-8 pts had 2nd/GL from 1 w/20-40 sec left and 1 timeout. 2 ran and fell short. 2 threw TDs. SEA threw INT.

yetisnowman
02-02-2015, 03:11 PM
So Belichick didn't call a timeout in the hopes that Seattle would be psyched out and would botch the next play? Sorry but I'm not buying it. Lynch got tackled with 1:02 left. Seattle changes their personnel from a 2 TE I formation to the 3 WR formation and gets to the LOS at a normal pace. Seattle purposefully ran 30 seconds off the clock to leave as little time as possible remaining.

If Lynch plunges the ball in, Hauschka most likely kicks into the end zone and NE is left with 20 seconds and 2 TO to get in field goal range. Belichick is then left answering questions this morning about why he only left Brady with 20 seconds and 2 TO instead of 55-58 seconds and 1 TO.

Ultimately I think the smart decision would have been to be ready to burn a timeout after every play. I didn't mean psych out in terms of making them screw up a play and turn the ball over. Just in that they were expecting them to take a timeout. By calling a timeout with a minute left, while you do give yourself more wiggle room if Seattle scores, you also stop the clock for them and keep the entire playbook open for them on all 3 plays if necessary. I think that was his logic, I could be wrong. Other than that him letting the clock run doesn't make a lot of sense. It struck me as similar to when the kicker is expecting a timeout to freeze him, yet one doesn't come.

KYPack
02-02-2015, 03:14 PM

I believe that would be a 112% chance of scoring.

Bossman641
02-02-2015, 03:30 PM
Ultimately I think the smart decision would have been to be ready to burn a timeout after every play. I didn't mean psych out in terms of making them screw up a play and turn the ball over. Just in that they were expecting them to take a timeout. By calling a timeout with a minute left, while you do give yourself more wiggle room if Seattle scores, you also stop the clock for them and keep the entire playbook open for them on all 3 plays if necessary. I think that was his logic, I could be wrong. Other than that him letting the clock run doesn't make a lot of sense. It struck me as similar to when the kicker is expecting a timeout to freeze him, yet one doesn't come.

Seattle already had the entire playbook open. They semi-closed it on themselves. Once Lynch got tackled with 1:02 they could have easily hurried up and snapped the ball with 40 seconds or so left. They dragged things out too much. Actually that entire drive was a pretty poor use of time.

1st and 10 at SEA 20 (2:02) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass deep left to M.Lynch to NE 49 for 31 yards (J.Collins).
Two-Minute Warning
1st and 10 at NE 49 (1:55) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete deep right to J.Kearse (M.Butler).
Timeout #1 by SEA at 01:50.
2nd and 10 at NE 49 (1:50) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete deep right to C.Matthews (B.Browner).
3rd and 10 at NE 49 (1:41) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short right to R.Lockette to NE 38 for 11 yards (L.Ryan).
1st and 10 at NE 38 (1:14) (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Wilson pass deep right to J.Kearse pushed ob at NE 5 for 33 yards (M.Butler).
Timeout #2 by SEA at 01:06.
1st and 5 at NE 5 (1:06) M.Lynch left tackle to NE 1 for 4 yards (D.Hightower).
2nd and 1 at NE 1 (:26) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short right intended for R.Lockette INTERCEPTED by M.Butler at NE -1. M.Butler to NE 2 for 3 yards (R.Lockette). PENALTY on NE, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 1 yard, enforced at NE 2.

Why did they take TO #1 after the incompletion to Kearse? I can't remember. Was there an injured player?

woodbuck27
02-02-2015, 03:42 PM

No..he might go 0 for 5 on one set of five runs and 2 for 5 on the next.

He might hit a real dry spell and go 0 for 10 and suddenly get hot and score on 3 of the next 5 runs.

It's all really a mystery. A mystery that will unfold in mere seconds from now......

So you call the slant and what's the worst case scenario? Time to think...well no...and ...is this the correct call!? Consequences of being wrong !?

A pick or fumble and turn over...... but you love the match up so ... and so... and well so ... you go with a three receiver set ....

just to make them think your passing .....but no .....their not going to be fooled by that ... so ... so ... so and

suddenly when you realize you should have been running ....they have the fricken' ball and... and that game

is over ... and well YOU lose ! BAM ! ..... you know you should have run the ball.

pbmax
02-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Seattle already had the entire playbook open. They semi-closed it on themselves. Once Lynch got tackled with 1:02 they could have easily hurried up and snapped the ball with 40 seconds or so left. They dragged things out too much. Actually that entire drive was a pretty poor use of time.

Why did they take TO #1 after the incompletion to Kearse? I can't remember. Was there an injured player?

Late substitutions and then needed an adjustment/audible. This has happened to the Packers numerous times.

I think the switch from a 40 second clock, after a normal non-incompletion play to a 25 second clock (after a TO, injury, official measurement) screws up some teams. They are used to being able to call a personnel group and then get the play to the QB with time to huddle or move people around or audible all the while the coach can talk until 15 seconds are left on the clock.

On the 25 second clock, the sideline management is more compressed. Play call and personnel have to happen at same time and be done quickly. The coach only has 10 seconds to talk. If you huddle there isn't much time to audible or move people around. If you line up immediately you cannot communicate with the sideline and half the team are far away from the sideline so second adjustment isn't possible.

I am sure they work on this, but if something goes wrong, there isn't enough time to reset on a 25 second clock.

Freak Out
02-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Hoody made the right call by NOT calling a TO. Seattle only had one left with 28 or so seconds left....so by not calling that TO he almost forced them to throw. I still would have ran Beast first and burned the TO if he didn't make it. That way you still have a couple of shots throwing the ball. Make sense..? :)

mraynrand
02-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Hoody made the right call by NOT calling a TO. Seattle only had one left with 28 or so seconds left....so by not calling that TO he almost forced them to throw. I still would have ran Beast first and burned the TO if he didn't make it. That way you still have a couple of shots throwing the ball. Make sense..? :)

Sure. Or run, throw, run. And if you throw, you could pick something a little safer like a fade to the tall dude from Footlocker.

Pugger
02-02-2015, 05:59 PM
That's got nothing to do with what happened at the end there...

Belichick needed to call a TO to preserve the clock in case Seattle scored - which they should have, had they run Lynch. Belichick reduced his teams chances by not calling a TO. That they got lucky and Carroll/Bevell went braindead too is not the point.

As for Carroll - I'll accept his explaination that they might could only run it twice, although I think they could have gotten another play off had they been stuffed twice. He said they planned on running it twice after the throw; but I, like most everyone else thought the play there was to run it again on 2nd down and punch it in.

I agree. Both HCs screwed up but BB got lucky that his defense sealed the deal with the INT.

pbmax
02-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Sure. Or run, throw, run. And if you throw, you could pick something a little safer like a fade to the tall dude from Footlocker.

If you run, throw, run, the Defense knows you must pass on that third down.

bobblehead
02-02-2015, 06:25 PM

no, he has 32.7% chance of scoring.

pbmax
02-02-2015, 08:08 PM
The other problem with running without a TO is that you cannot substitute AND you have to count on the refs pulling the Defense off the ball and getting it set in a timely fashion.

wist43
02-02-2015, 09:10 PM

That doesn't hold up FO...

By not calling a TO Belichick reduced his teams chances of winning by at least half. That is to say, he took away the possibility that his offense could get back down the field for a FG and try to tie it. That's the point - that's the only point.

As Brady himself said, when he saw that they weren't going to take a TO he said he knew his SB was over - and that it all came down to right then and there with the defense - that's the point - NE's chances were reduced by not taking the TO.

As for Seattle, they could have, and should have run it there b/c running it there stood a good chance of success and was low risk. They still had the TO, so they could stop the clock and pass on 3rd down. If the 3rd down pass is incomplete, the clock stops and it is 4th down - run or pass for all the marbles. Seattle absolutely was not forced to pass it on 2nd down.

Prisco wrote an article saying exactly what some of us are saying... that both coaches screwed it up at the end. BB just happened to get away with it b/c Carroll/Bevell bailed him out with a stupid playcall.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/25017711/super-bowl-49-carrolls-mistake-helps-belichick-get-away-with-blunder

woodbuck27
02-02-2015, 11:20 PM
I don't have stats on this year specifically, but he is 5/12 in those situations over the past 3 years.

The really damning thing for Seattle is that NE was horrible in short yardage situations. Worst team in the league in "power-running situations" and fifth worst at "stuffing" power runs (no gain or a loss).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

On the flip side, Seattle was very good at converting power situations and rarely got stuffed.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Why didn't Seattle take advantage of that information?

Amazing.

I just hope like us; that Mike McCarthy and Tom Clements are learning from all of this.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-03-2015, 05:15 AM
I missed this discussion as I was in Godknowswhere, NE waiting out winter storm linus. I had to listen to half in car and watched second half at some dive hotel, but the one thing I took away from it was the packers could have beat either one of them....

Cheesehead Craig
02-03-2015, 07:54 AM
Why didn't Seattle take advantage of that information?

Amazing.

I just hope like us; that Mike McCarthy and Tom Clements are learning from all of this.

You'd think with all those Microsoft Surface tablets on the sidelines they could go to that website. Or at least play Clash of Clans or Age of War while waiting to get back on the field.

Cheesehead Craig
02-03-2015, 08:12 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/s526x395/10501846_10153113457632958_1792880302169502463_n.j pg?oh=9c6dfc1156ccb465fac47b33e6ca344b&oe=555B27A8&__gda__=1432854865_fee340581ff089e2b05d67f7ff358a7 e

pbmax
02-03-2015, 08:36 AM
Serious question: I think the Derp is getting waist deep on the pass call. Yesterday I read and today I heard on the radio that all you need to run a run play is 5 to 6 seconds.

How long, at the goalline, does it take Lynch or Wilson to run, get stuffed, get piled on (because the Patriots will do that), have the refs pull people out of the pile, set the football and allow a play to be run?

I say its a minimum of 10 seconds and if you count on that happening, half the time you will fail to get a play off.

Cheesehead Craig
02-03-2015, 08:44 AM
Agree pb. There would be piling on for sure. I'd say 10 seconds is fast because the SEA players would be pulling and grabbing the NE players on the pile. Then there's the inevitable pushing and shoving that would happen.

Joemailman
02-03-2015, 08:45 AM
I don't think this was a dumb move by Carroll as much as a brilliant and gutsy move by Belichick. He baited Carroll into throwing the ball by letting time run off the clock and by bringing in his run package. When Wilson threw the ball they knew what was coming because they had seen Seattle run it before. That's why Butler was able to get such a great break on the ball.

pbmax
02-03-2015, 09:02 AM
I don't think this was a dumb move by Carroll as much as a brilliant and gutsy move by Belichick. He baited Carroll into throwing the ball by letting time run off the clock and by bringing in his run package. When Wilson threw the ball they knew what was coming because they had seen Seattle run it before. That's why Butler was able to get such a great break on the ball.

I am not sure Belichick's awareness extended to the play call. They have to have more than one pass option in short yardage.

But I am sure the goalline defense was out there for Lynch. I am just not too sure anyone else would do anything different. Even Capers has to expect Lynch even with 3 WRs, no?

Bossman641
02-03-2015, 09:58 AM
I am not sure Belichick's awareness extended to the play call. They have to have more than one pass option in short yardage.

But I am sure the goalline defense was out there for Lynch. I am just not too sure anyone else would do anything different. Even Capers has to expect Lynch even with 3 WRs, no?

Capers would have run a 1-5-5 and vacated the middle of the field :whaa:

I'm tired of Belichick getting credit for screwing up the last minute of the game. He played it horribly and would be getting a ton of blowback if Seattle had just run the ball like they should have. Go back to my stat that NE had allowed rushing TD on 5 of 6 attempts from the 1.

3irty1
02-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Belichick could have figured there was a chance they could get greedy and pass because of the time on the clock, so he waited to see their formation before calling TO. When they came out in shotgun he held out. An incomplete would have stopped the clock for him anyways.

3irty1
02-03-2015, 10:15 AM

Seems a lot more unlikely out of shotgun though.

mraynrand
02-03-2015, 10:17 AM
no, he has 32.7% chance of scoring.

It was a joke about Peter Graves. :roll: Still, where's our resident statistician, Dyoop? I think you got this backwards Bobble. 5 chances at 20% gives you a 1-(.8)e5 = 0.672 chance of scoring.

Bossman641
02-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Belichick could have figured there was a chance they could get greedy and pass because of the time on the clock, so he waited to see their formation before calling TO. When they came out in shotgun he held out. An incomplete would have stopped the clock for him anyways.

Isn't the 35-40 seconds more valuable than the timeout at that point? Unless Belichick is a cyborg who can see into the future.

mraynrand
02-03-2015, 10:29 AM

LOL. Unsound!

wist43
02-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Serious question: I think the Derp is getting waist deep on the pass call. Yesterday I read and today I heard on the radio that all you need to run a run play is 5 to 6 seconds.

How long, at the goalline, does it take Lynch or Wilson to run, get stuffed, get piled on (because the Patriots will do that), have the refs pull people out of the pile, set the football and allow a play to be run?

I say its a minimum of 10 seconds and if you count on that happening, half the time you will fail to get a play off.

If Seattle runs on 2nd down and doesn't make it, they don't wait for the refs to unpile... they'd burn their last TO as soon as the whistle blew, so that time would run off the clock.

If that scenario had played out, then the next call would be a pass - it's either a TD or incomplete, in which case the clock stops again. Then you're down to 4th and all the marbles - run or pass.

That's the way Seattle should have played it.

As for Belichick - he completely screwed up by not calling the TO. In that situation, it is his responsibility to give his team as many options as possible to win, by not calling the TO he gave his team 1 chance, and 1 chance only; if he had called the TO, he gives his team 2 chances. Pure and simple, it is just playing the odds - he screwed it up, but got away with it.

Freak Out
02-03-2015, 11:38 AM
If Seattle runs on 2nd down and doesn't make it, they don't wait for the refs to unpile... they'd burn their last TO as soon as the whistle blew, so that time would run off the clock.

If that scenario had played out, then the next call would be a pass - it's either a TD or incomplete, in which case the clock stops again. Then you're down to 4th and all the marbles - run or pass.

That's the way Seattle should have played it.

As for Belichick - he completely screwed up by not calling the TO. In that situation, it is his responsibility to give his team as many options as possible to win, by not calling the TO he gave his team 1 chance, and 1 chance only; if he had called the TO, he gives his team 2 chances. Pure and simple, it is just playing the odds - he screwed it up, but got away with it.

....or intercepted.

pbmax
02-03-2015, 12:50 PM
It does, but you can't send out a personnel group and know whether its shotgun or not, even in no huddle that can change. The matchup is predicated on personnel only.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-03-2015, 01:44 PM
I must have listened to 30 different radio shows on 18 hr drive from Denver, all 30 blamed the seachicken offensive coordinator, no one blamed carrol. Doesn't head coach always review and agree/disagree with plays?

Cheesehead Craig
02-03-2015, 02:23 PM
I must have listened to 30 different radio shows on 18 hr drive from Denver, all 30 blamed the seachicken offensive coordinator, no one blamed carrol. Doesn't head coach always review and agree/disagree with plays?

Bevell calls the plays. I bet Carroll stays out of it for the most part.

Patler
02-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Bevell calls the plays. I bet Carroll stays out of it for the most part.

If that's the case, did Bevell just push back his head coaching opportunities by a couple years for "getting too cute", out-thinking himself?

pbmax
02-03-2015, 02:38 PM

He staying with Bevell on the call, today even stating that they did not even debate a run on second down. But he has not said he demanded that call, so that has left people clear to blast Bevell. Bevell also managed to make it sound like he blamed the receiver for not going hard enough to the ball. So Carroll looks like a mensch defending his guys, Bevell has come off as partially passing the buck.

wist43
02-03-2015, 04:24 PM

I'm tired of Belichick getting credit for screwing up the last minute of the game. He played it horribly and would be getting a ton of blowback if Seattle had just run the ball like they should have. Go back to my stat that NE had allowed rushing TD on 5 of 6 attempts from the 1.

LOL. Unsound!

Don't know what you guys are laughing at, or mocking... we've actually seen that idiot do that on the goal line, lol...

Capers is a disaster waiting to happen... the Seattle game is but another example of how he simply cannot be trusted - EVER!!!

56 minutes of winning football, followed by 4 minutes of franchise killing disaster; and this is after being embarrassed how many times in the playoffs?? Yet the guy keeps his job?? It's truly amazing.

mraynrand
02-03-2015, 05:14 PM
Don't know what you guys are laughing at, or mocking... we've actually seen that idiot do that on the goal line, lol...

Capers is a disaster waiting to happen... the Seattle game is but another example of how he simply cannot be trusted - EVER!!!

56 minutes of winning football, followed by 4 minutes of franchise killing disaster; and this is after being embarrassed how many times in the playoffs?? Yet the guy keeps his job?? It's truly amazing.

As always, just mocking your over-the-top hysteria!

Franchise-killing! LOL. That's a good, new one I'll have to re-purpose. I guarantee the seats will be full and the televisions tuned in next fall. Excelsior!

woodbuck27
02-03-2015, 05:24 PM

Here's what went down from new England's perspective. When Seattle went with a 3 receiver set right 'the look' certainly spelled a pass 'pick play'. So what was the NE defensive strategy?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/sports/football/true-hero-for-patriots-put-rookie-butler-in-spotlight.html?ref=sports&_r=0

True Hero for Patriots Put Rookie Butler in Spotlight

By: CHASE STUARTFEB. 2, 2015

" ...the Seattle Seahawks lined up in a three-wide-receiver set at the 1-yard line. To the right of quarterback Russell Wilson, Ricardo Lockette stood nearly directly behind another wide receiver, Jermaine Kearse, a yard back and on Kearse’s outside shoulder — an alignment commonly used on pick plays.

cornerback Brandon Browner stood across the line of scrimmage from Kearse, a couple of yards in front of Malcolm Butler, who was tasked with guarding Lockette..... " cont'd See LINK.

Comment woodbuck27:

It's like Seattle was shouting out with a megaphone that "we're going with a passing play here world".

A perfect time for 'the Beast Mode Blast' for six.

gbgary
02-03-2015, 06:44 PM
sterling and his buds on nfl network broke that play down, and lynch's runs against short-yardage/run-stop d, and didn't have a problem with the play. i didn't either really. they guy was open but the ball didn't come out soon enough and he led him too much.

glad it went down that way though. i hate sea.

Maxie the Taxi
02-03-2015, 06:51 PM
New England didn't call a timeout after the first down carry because they were not going to even contest a rushing attempt. If Lynch had been given the ball on second down, the line would have allowed Lynch to score. The timeout is worth more than the time to New England at that point.

Think about it, why was New England in a 4-3 look 2nd and goal from the 1-yard line? They were playing pass all the way because they didn't want anything other than a TD/turnover/incompletion. Had the Seahawks scored a TD, the Pats would have had the ball with 24ish seconds left and all three timeouts, needing only a FG to tie.

Smuggler has it right and I can't be convinced otherwise.

First of all, I heard that Belichick criticized Chip Kelly for not letting the other team score in a similar situation. So you know Belichick has thought through the strategy of "letting them score."

Second, Belichick has to assume Seattle is going to score from the half yard line in that situation. Who in the world didn't assume that? I did. I think we all did.

Therefore, in that situation, New England has just two ways to win the game: 1) Force a turnover; or 2) Allow Seattle to score and keep time on the clock to play for the tie.

As Smuggler suggests, Belichick put his players in the best position to do both.

Of course, Belichick would never admit it because it would open up a whole nother can of worms.

Joemailman
02-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Smuggler has it right and I can't be convinced otherwise.

First of all, I heard that Belichick criticized Chip Kelly for not letting the other team score in a similar situation. So you know Belichick has thought through the strategy of "letting them score."

Second, Belichick has to assume Seattle is going to score from the half yard line in that situation. Who in the world didn't assume that? I did. I think we all did.

Therefore, in that situation, New England has just two ways to win the game: 1) Force a turnover; or 2) Allow Seattle to score and keep time on the clock to play for the tie.

As Smuggler suggests, Belichick put his players in the best position to do both.

Of course, Belichick would never admit it because it would open up a whole nother can of worms.

If Belichick was going to let them score, why would he let 40 seconds run off the clock instead of calling the timeout? He had all 3 timeouts. He could have called time out and gotten the ball back with nearly a minute left and 2 time outs. Having the ball with a minute left and 2 time outs is better than having it with 20 seconds and 3 time outs. With 20 seconds left and 3 time outs, you might not even get the chance to use them all.

pbmax
02-03-2015, 09:15 PM
They weren't in any kind of 4-3. It was goal line defense with 3 DBs. Seven on the LOS, 1 backer behind the line and 3 DBs on 3 WRs. That's a run defense.

http://media.nj.com/super_bowl_blog/photo/screen-shot-2015-02-02-at-11017-ampng-84ca46e1ca71f924.png

woodbuck27
02-04-2015, 04:12 AM
If Belichick was going to let them score, why would he let 40 seconds run off the clock instead of calling the timeout? He had all 3 timeouts. He could have called time out and gotten the ball back with nearly a minute left and 2 time outs. Having the ball with a minute left and 2 time outs is better than having it with 20 seconds and 3 time outs. With 20 seconds left and 3 time outs, you might not even get the chance to use them all.

" If Belichick was going to let them score, why would he let 40 seconds run off the clock instead of calling the timeout? He had all 3 timeouts. " Joemailman

Joe ... Bill Belichick had already used one TO - Please see below.

I agree with Smuggler and Maxi the taxi...and I'll add this:

This whole thing as it is unraveling IMO may cement Bill Belichick as 'absolutely the Greatest Head Coachs in the NFL All Time' in many NFL Experts minds.

As it's unraveling it may also makes Pete Carroll look bad too ** outrageously so **.

** I havn't begun to look for the impact of the post game analysis to get to the full extent of it as I had other priorities yesterday but (IMO again and analysis) "there (may be) something stinking in the State of Denmark."

Certainly in all the post game analysis you get lots of stuff that's highly emotional. In the end it should always be 'cooler heads prevail'.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015020100/2014/POST22/patriots@seahawks#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3 000000465430&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

Full Game Play By Play.

Timeout #1 by NE at 02:52.

1-5-SEA 5 (2:52) 71-C.Fleming has reported as eligible. 29-L.Blount up the middle to SEA 3 for 2 yards (72-M.Bennett).

Comment woodbuck27:

Look at this next New England play and compare it to the subsequent Seattle possession and controversial play call on a 2nd down that works out costing the Seahawks their second consecutive Super Bowl Championship.

2-3-SEA 3 (2:06) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 11-J.Edelman for 3 yards,TOUCHDOWN

3-S.Gostkowski extra point is GOOD, Center-48-D.Aiken, Holder-6-R.Allen.

NE 28 - SEA 24 Plays: 10 Possession: 4:50

woodbuck27
02-04-2015, 04:30 AM
Comment woodbuck27:

See post # 306 and as a follow up:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000468077/article/malcolm-butler-a-late-substitution-on-gamewinner

Malcolm Butler a late substitution on game-winner

By: Chris Wesseling ...Around the NFL Writer

Published: Feb. 3, 2015 at 09:53 p.m. ... Updated: Feb. 3, 2015 at 10:26 p.m.

Maxie the Taxi
02-04-2015, 05:32 AM

All good points and there is no pat answer. Maybe Belichick wanted to disguise what was going on by showing a run defense. I don't know. I just can't accept the idea that Belichick was staking the game on stopping Seattle from scoring from the 1/2 yard line! Even if you make one stop, or two, you're left with virtually no time when the score finally comes.

Did you honestly believe the Patriots could win that game with a momentous goal line stand?

woodbuck27
02-04-2015, 05:37 AM
They weren't in any kind of 4-3. It was goal line defense with 3 DBs. Seven on the LOS, 1 backer behind the line and 3 DBs on 3 WRs. That's a run defense.

http://media.nj.com/super_bowl_blog/photo/screen-shot-2015-02-02-at-11017-ampng-84ca46e1ca71f924.png

that Pic and the Patriots defensive alignment:

It sure looks thin to me to stop a Marshawn Lynch run.

As a pass defense it has to be something very lucky to spectacularly so...and it was !

Bill Belichick was expecting NE to score. So was Tom Brady. Gronk was on his sideline thinking about the next New England possession and how to score and win or extend the game.

Those three were amongst the most surprized people in the world when DB Malcolm Butler made that aggressive play and successful pick.

Bossman641
02-04-2015, 06:55 AM
All good points and there is no pat answer. Maybe Belichick wanted to disguise what was going on by showing a run defense. I don't know. I just can't accept the idea that Belichick was staking the game on stopping Seattle from scoring from the 1/2 yard line! Even if you make one stop, or two, you're left with virtually no time when the score finally comes.

Did you honestly believe the Patriots could win that game with a momentous goal line stand?

If the Pats were going to let them score, then you would have seen the DL come off the ball with a very lethargic rush. Watch the DL on the INT, they fire off the ball. They weren't letting them score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rPIg7ZNQ8

woodbuck27
02-04-2015, 07:11 AM
If the Pats were going to let them score, then you would have seen the DL come off the ball with a very lethargic rush. Watch the DL on the INT, they fire off the ball. They weren't letting them score.

The Seattle offense was showing pass.

Bill Belichick saw that and adjusted for that and prayed for a turnover.

Didn't a 'Higher Power' bless him? :???:

Bossman641
02-04-2015, 07:48 AM

If anyone adjusted for it, it would have been an on the field defender. Seattle didn't get the line until there was about 14 seconds on the play clock. At that time, communication between the coach and the player had already been cut off.

Reality is Belichick screwed up and got away with it.

mraynrand
02-04-2015, 07:49 AM
I agree that Cheat was letting his D win or lose the game. So you let the clock run to reduce the other guy's options, make them make decisions. And you trust your guys to make plays. That's what a defensive coach like Cheat does, and it's won him 6 superbowls.

woodbuck27
02-04-2015, 08:07 AM
Comment woodbuck27:

Your challenge for today.....

Before reading this. What most likely would have been Mike McCarthy's call on 2nd and goal from the oppositions 1 yard line?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/2/7965223/what-the-other-30-nfl-teams-would-have-done-on-2nd-and-1

What the other 30 NFL teams would have done on 2nd-and-1

By: Ryan Nanni  @celebrityhottub on Feb 2 2015, 2:50p

Bossman641
02-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Comment woodbuck27:

Your challenge for today.....

Before reading this. What most likely would have been Mike McCarthy's call on 2nd and goal from the oppositions 1 yard line?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/2/7965223/what-the-other-30-nfl-teams-would-have-done-on-2nd-and-1

What the other 30 NFL teams would have done on 2nd-and-1

By: Ryan Nanni  @celebrityhottub on Feb 2 2015, 2:50p

Unfortunately probably the tired FB give to Kuhn

pbmax
02-04-2015, 08:40 AM

That is a run D all the way.

The only question is how certain BB could have been that if they defended the run, that the Seachickens would run the pick play from the stacked receivers.

woodbuck27
02-04-2015, 08:58 AM
That is a run D all the way.

The only question is how certain BB could have been that if they defended the run, that the Seachickens would run the pick play from the stacked receivers.

New England comparatively and certainly Vs Seattle didn't have a run 'D' in that situation.

If Seattle runs the ball with Marshawn Lynch it's abundantly probable that he scores a TD.

Belichick bet on the more probable of two "I need to be lucky situations" to make the defensive play:

Seattle showed pass and Bill Belichick set his defense (defensive backs) and hoped to defend pass and get a turn over.

At the end of that Super Bowl day:

Belichick arrived again as "Hoody Genius".

pbmax
02-04-2015, 09:02 AM
New England comparatively and certainly Vs Seattle didn't have a run 'D' in that situation.

There are 7 players on the LOS, 1 at LB depth. 8 in the box versus a nickel alignment from the Seahawks. Each WR is man on man and there is not safety deep. That is a defense tilted against the run.

pbmax
02-04-2015, 09:47 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/04/bill-belichick-considered-timeout-before-final-play-but-we-were-ok/

“We certainly gave some consideration to taking a timeout there and leaving some time on the clock. I don’t know if that would have been a bad thing to do. It might have been a good thing to do, but it just seemed in the flow of the game we were OK with where we were,” Belichick said on WEEI

From WEEI: http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2015/02/03/bill-belichick-on-dh-goes-over-goal-line-sequence-malcolm-butler-made-a-great-play/

“When they got down to the 5-yard line, our first thought was to not let them run it in,” said Belichick. “They certainly had plenty of time at that point. First they took the timeout. Then [Marshawn] Lynch got down to around the [1-yard line] and we put our goal-line defense in probably around the same time they were sending in their multiple receiver group, which was kind of what we wanted to be in there, make sure they didn’t run the ball in, which I’d like to think had they run the ball against our goal line defense with three receivers on the field, we couldn’t ask for more than that in terms of stopping the running game. We saw that matchup.

Bossman641
02-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Did Carroll really think NE was going to match their 3 wr set with a nickel package and allow Lynch to run against a weakened box? Have to wonder if an older QB then Wilson would have checked into a different play. With that much girth on the field it would have been a perfect situation for him to run some kind of rollout and scramble in.

pbmax
02-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Did Carroll really think NE was going to match their 3 wr set with a nickel package and allow Lynch to run against a weakened box? Have to wonder if an older QB then Wilson would have checked into a different play. With that much girth on the field it would have been a perfect situation for him to run some kind of rollout and scramble in.

You don't know. But by making NE choose how to defend, you give yourself an advantage over them. Yes, it means that your favorite option gets taken away.

But they had a huge edge for a pass. Man to man across the board. They just choose to run the play Butler knew how to blow up.

pbmax
02-04-2015, 10:16 AM
I think this has been posted elsewhere, but the video points out that Pete was going to run with 3 WR, New England wasn't buying it and was happy to take that off the table.

Also seems to lay waste claim made yesterday that New England didn't adjust to the 3 WR. Video shows Butler was late substitution to counter 3 WR. But it was still a goalline defense, but with 3 DBs and one less LB.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000468077/article/malcolm-butler-a-late-substitution-on-gamewinner

woodbuck27
02-04-2015, 11:12 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/04/bill-belichick-considered-timeout-before-final-play-but-we-were-ok/

From WEEI: http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2015/02/03/bill-belichick-on-dh-goes-over-goal-line-sequence-malcolm-butler-made-a-great-play/

I'm not claiming that the alignment that New England showed wasn't their goal line run defense...'only' it looks thin to me.

This has already been posted:

Before that final 2nd and goal and attempted pick play. DB Malcolm Butler was on the Patriot sideline. He wasn't going to be used as a defender.

When it was observed that Seattle had three WR's in their huddle. Malcolm Butler was sent into defend on Settle's RHS along with and set up behind CB Brandon Browner who was assigned to cover Seattle WR Jermaine Kearse. Malcolm Butler had to cover Ricardo Lockette. The plan was for Browner to force Seattle's Kearse back and into the path of any Seattle slant play with Ricardo Lockette as the target.

Maxie the Taxi
02-04-2015, 05:52 PM

Nope, I'm not convinced.

The Seachickens OL didn't drive off the ball to run block. If they had, you may have seen the Pats DL relax. Instead, the Seattle OL dropped back to pass block. Therefore, it is reasonable that the Pats DL would drive off the ball to disrupt Wilson's pass and contain him so he would throw the ball and not run with it, given they were trying to force an interception.

If Wilson had not thrown the ball, but rather tucked it and run, you may have seen the Pats defense relax. The Pats were playing for an interception.

As far as the run alignment goes, if the Pats wanted to force a pass and an interception, wouldn't you expect them to show a run defense to bait Wilson into throwing?

Moreover, I still haven't found anyone who will honestly say they expected the Pats to win the game by seriously mounting a goal line defense. As has been mentioned, the Pats defense was weak all season in goal line defenses. Certainly, Belichick knew this about his own defense.

Of course, we will never know for sure whether Belichick was employing the let-them-score strategy unless he or one of his players fesses up. But don't hold your breath.

The truth and reality of the situation would have been obvious to all of us if Carroll had less time left on the clock. If there were only time for one play, it would have turned into an Ice Bowl situation where the intentions of both teams were obvious.

woodbuck27
02-05-2015, 09:51 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/05/pete-carroll-realizes-seahawks-arent-on-the-same-page-about-play-call/

Pete Carroll realizes Seahawks aren’t on the same page about play call

Posted by Mike Florio on February 5, 2015, 8:13 AM EST

" .... Carroll isn’t looking for closure, at least not within himself.

“These don’t go away,” Carroll said. “These occurrences, they don’t leave. These occurrences have stayed with me over the years in a manner that they fuel me.... I don’t really even want to lose those. I don’t want to wash them out and ignore them. I just want them to be in a place where they’re gonna help me be right.” ..."

" ... So how will he be right with his players moving forward? “By getting to the truth, by getting there, talking about it, facing it up,” Carroll said. “Everybody’s cleared their minds. When you finally gather and you’re ready to take that next step, we’re gonna go places that are extraordinary.”

Asked if there’s a story of redemption planned for the Seahawks, Carroll smiled and said, “It’s well underway.” ..."

denverYooper
02-06-2015, 09:20 AM
This tweet from smartfootball this morning was too good:

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 1h1 hour ago
Exclusive footage of Darrell Bevell deciding on the final playcall in the Super Bowl

http://youtu.be/U_eZmEiyTo0?t=1m10s

Pete Damilatis ‏@PFF_Pete 57m57 minutes ago
@smartfootball Ha, I thought of the same analogy. Never go in against Bill Belichick when death is on the line.

woodbuck27
02-06-2015, 06:38 PM
In the dieing seconds and just before the fatal 2nd and goal play... resulting in a Russell Wilson pass and pick (by New England's DB Malcolm Butler; on what was supposed to be a pick (by WR Jermaine Kearse on CB Brandon Browner) and slant pass to Seattle WR Ricardo Lockette.

Tom Brady was hanging his head on the bench and he turned to his left and said to a coach. "The 'D' has to make a play".

Also.....

A new England coach see's 3 WR's in the Seattle huddle and waves DB Malcolm Butler onto the field.

The best case scenario ... 'a Seattle turn over'; and New England played for just that. Pat's CB Brandon Browner drove WR Jermain Kearse into WR Ricardo Lockette, to retard his slant just enough, that the Pat's Malcolm Butler could move forward and to the ball and make that pick.

Russel Wilson's pass wasn't terrible. Even as the defense went his pass wasn't too far out in front of Lockette.

Seattle runs that play scores of times and it's almost a perfect gurantee but not on this day.

The real hero's share on that play was Pat's CB Brandon Browner and his strength move on Jermaine Kearse. . . . to interrupt the route.

That's what Bill Belichick needed and he saw it happen. That's the Belichick brilliance.

woodbuck27
02-06-2015, 08:15 PM
http://www.totalpackers.com/2015/02/06/marshawn-lynch-thought-pick-funny/

Marshawn Lynch Thought that Pick was Funny

Comment woodbuck27:

There's so much more than Marshawn Lynch reaction and attitude. There's a lot here about match ups and execution on both sides of the ball.

'The Pick' that locked up the Super Bowl for the New England Patriots. So much of what went on before and just after that play is right here.

woodbuck27
02-07-2015, 03:55 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000468082/article/richard-sherman-after-second-brady-pick-his-hearts-gone

Sherman after second Brady pick: 'His heart's gone'

By Conor Orr ... Around The NFL Writer

Published: Feb. 4, 2015 at 07:16 a.m. ... Updated: Feb. 4, 2015 at 02:32 p.m.

" Tom Brady, after throwing the go-ahead touchdown: "D's gotta make a play. Gotta intercept one."
from Article

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap3000000469047/Super-Bowl-Sound-FX-Seattle-s-drive-ends-in-doom?campaign=Facebook_video_soundfx

At 3:20 Tom Brady says : " The 'D's' gotta make a play."

He doesn't add: Gotta intercept one.

woodbuck27
02-07-2015, 04:32 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000469263/article/seahawks-championship-merch-will-go-to-good-use

Seahawks championship merch will go to good use

By: Dan Hanzus ... Around the NFL Writer

Published: Feb. 6, 2015 at 04:09 p.m. ... Updated: Feb. 6, 2015 at 04:43 p.m.

Comment woodbuck27:

Pepe to Paulo:

I ain't shitin' yaa ! Those Seahawks made back to back Super Bowls.

I've got the T-Shirt to prove it.

woodbuck27
02-07-2015, 01:49 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000469319/article/malcolm-butler-i-dont-want-to-be-known-for-one-play

Malcolm Butler: I don't want to be known for one play

By; Kevin Patra ...Around the NFL writer

Published: Feb. 7, 2015 at 10:20 a.m. ...Updated: Feb. 7, 2015 at 10:41 a.m.

woodbuck27
02-09-2015, 07:20 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000468082/article/richard-sherman-after-second-brady-pick-his-hearts-gone

Sherman after second Brady pick: 'His heart's gone'

By Conor Orr ... Around The NFL Writer

Published: Feb. 4, 2015 at 07:16 a.m. ... Updated: Feb. 4, 2015 at 02:32 p.m.

" Tom Brady, after throwing the go-ahead touchdown: "D's gotta make a play. Gotta intercept one."
from Article

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap3000000469047/Super-Bowl-Sound-FX-Seattle-s-drive-ends-in-doom?campaign=Facebook_video_soundfx

At 3:20 Tom Brady says : " The 'D's' gotta make a play."

He doesn't add: Gotta intercept one.

check that....

In fact I just got the whole sound bite and Tom Brady does say;

"D's gotta make a play. (pause) Gotta intercept one."

pbmax
02-13-2015, 08:42 PM
-Q: Do you run the ball at the end there or do you throw it?

-HARBAUGH: You know, I really thought they had a good play called. That was an insightful play against a goal-line defense, and a really neat combination that they had–with an inside pick play. It really was open.

And that young man from the New England Patriots made a play–I mean, that is a play that the stars of the game don’t make. He made a play that was… at best that ball gets knocked down and incomplete. But to make an interception on that play… what a phenomenal play. That was the play of a lifetime.

And all credit to him for making it.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/02/13/jim-harbaugh-interview-transcript-didnt-leave-49ers-felt-like-49er-hierarchy-left/

Its me and Harbaugh versus the rest of the world.

vince
02-14-2015, 03:23 AM
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/02/13/jim-harbaugh-interview-transcript-didnt-leave-49ers-felt-like-49er-hierarchy-left/

I'm onboard too. Although, is that Jim or John? I might want to change my mind. My analysis depends upon who shares my opinion - and the benefit of hindsight of course.

woodbuck27
02-14-2015, 05:07 AM

JH sums up the play to seal the deal in the Super Bowl very well.

I agree that DB Malcolm Butler made a play for the ages. That play will be seen over and over again.

I'm glad I read that interview.

Jim Harbaugh is an interesting fella with obviously decent core values.

Maybe Vince will agree!?

Maxie the Taxi
02-14-2015, 07:29 AM
I'm onboard too. Although, is that Jim or John? I might want to change my mind. My analysis depends upon who shares my opinion - and the benefit of hindsight of course.

You're so wrong, Vince! They should have run the damn ball! :-) :lol:

woodbuck27
02-14-2015, 07:48 AM

I believe it comes down to execution (which is easiest) and you must consider the Seattle 1 remaining TO.

Run the ball with the best RB in the NFL. Your only 1 yard from scoring. Don't you go to your best man?

or

Go with a slant/pick pass that depends on pin point execution with multiple players involved?

Yes it's a good call but the best option?

I'm betting all of my chips on [B]NO. 1 NFL RB Marshawn Lynch.

vince
02-14-2015, 07:52 AM
:lol: classic. Not enough energy to do that again Maxie. Plus, you'd get to be right again from the start so that's just not fair... :lol:

vince
02-14-2015, 08:05 AM
JH sums up the play to seal the deal in the Super Bowl very well.

I agree that DB Malcolm Butler made a play for the ages. That play will be seen over and over again.

I'm glad I read that interview.

Jim Harbaugh is an interesting fella with obviously decent core values.

Maybe Vince will agree!?
I guess so. He seems to think a lot of himself though that's hardly a unique character flaw. I'm not a fan of his antics on the sideline, though the attention they direct toward the officials probably wear on them to his benefit. Honestly, I'd probably get animated/dramatic too in some situations if I thought it would help, so that's probably a bit hypocritical of me to hold against him.

Damn good football coach I'd say no matter what you might think about him as an individual.

pbmax
02-14-2015, 08:13 AM

That was Jim talking to a Bay area writer.

woodbuck27
02-17-2015, 05:49 AM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2355347-pete-carroll-on-super-bowl-xlix-call-it-was-the-worst-result-of-a-call-ever?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Pete Carroll on Super Bowl XLIX Call: 'It Was the Worst Result of a Call Ever'

By: Kyle Newport , Featured Columnist ... Feb 5, 2015