PDA

View Full Version : Official Randall Cobb FA Thread

Pages : [1] 2

pbmax
02-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Here I expect red to declare the dollar amount over which he will lose his mind should Ted be forced to capitulate to Joel Segal's demands.

Some guidelines:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 17m17 minutes ago
Will be very interested to see how Torrey Smith would do in a limited WR market (once Dez, Demaryius, etc) are franchised...

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 15m15 minutes ago
I heard Ravens offered T.Smith 5yrs/$35M before the season with $19M guaranteed. $7M/yr is very fair. Smith started slow; finished strong

If Bryant and Demaryius get tagged, Cobb moves up on the best FA WR list.

Is Cobb worth more than Torrey Smith?

Patler
02-03-2015, 03:06 PM
Is Cobb worth more than Torrey Smith?

More important for him, how does he look in purple?

Bossman641
02-03-2015, 03:46 PM
5 years/$42 M with $21M guaranteed

Cheesehead Craig
02-03-2015, 03:52 PM
4 years/$34M with $18M guaranteed

pbmax
02-03-2015, 04:46 PM
More important for him, how does he look in purple?

We're getting the band back together!

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Greg+Jennings+Randall+Cobb+Green+Bay+Packers+d4kiu SvWtfJl.jpg

King Friday
02-03-2015, 05:01 PM
He's a slot receiver...and those guys typically do not get the same money as the guys who can stretch the field. Cobb is probably the best slot receiver in the NFL currently, though.

I think his market value is around $9M/year. Will he accept slightly less on a shorter deal to stay in Green Bay and also have a shot at another payday in 3-4 years? I would assume so.

I'm with Craig...$34M/4 yrs with $16-18M bonus is probably enough to keep him in town.

mraynrand
02-03-2015, 05:16 PM
I'm with Craig...$34M/4 yrs with $16-18M bonus is probably enough to keep him in town.

Franchise-killing!

woodbuck27
02-03-2015, 05:37 PM
Without Randall Cobb the Packers are in a real predicament in 2015 (Reason: A lack of trusted depth @ WR).

The objective is to get him signed and don't allow him to test the market:

If TT offers Randall Cobb 4 years for $34 M$ and $20 M$ guaranteed.... he'll sign.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-03-2015, 06:15 PM
Packers don't seem to have problems developing receivers, having two stud QBs in a row probably helps that. I would like to resign Cobb but don't break the bank to do it.

woodbuck27
02-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Packers don't seem to have problems developing receivers, having two stud QBs in a row probably helps that. I would like to resign Cobb but don't break the bank to do it.

Randall Cobb's offensive versatility isn't easy to replace. The Packers havn't got time to develop another lie him.

Copbb had 1,324 yards from scrimmage and 12 touchdowns lining up outside, in the slot or in the backfield and he also helps out with ST's. This man is very valuable and almost an automatic hookup for Aaron Rodgers

If TT loses Cobb ...Aaron's not going to be pleased. Packer Nation's not going to be pleased.

pbmax
02-03-2015, 09:08 PM
If TT loses Cobb ...Aaron's not going to be pleased. Packer Nation's not going to be pleased.

What is the top end dollar amount (yearly plus guarantee) that you would be willing to commit to keep him around?

mraynrand
02-03-2015, 09:13 PM
What is the top end dollar amount (yearly plus guarantee) that you would be willing to commit to keep him around?

you don't really want to know, do you?

pbmax
02-03-2015, 09:18 PM
you don't really want to know, do you?

Just curious.

King Friday
02-03-2015, 09:50 PM
What else are you going to spend that $30M in cap money on??

mraynrand
02-03-2015, 09:58 PM

cheap booze and hookers?

http://cdn.hiphopwired.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/warrensapp.jpg

George Cumby
02-03-2015, 10:59 PM

Contract extensions for Hawk and Brad Jones.

Cheesehead Craig
02-04-2015, 04:08 PM

Fire George Cumby!

smuggler
02-04-2015, 04:37 PM
4 years 36 million. fuck it.

Joemailman
02-04-2015, 05:12 PM

4 years 36 million. fuck it.

Are you crazy? :razz:

denverYooper
02-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Guion just freed up a few mil...

woodbuck27
02-04-2015, 05:40 PM

From post #8 this thread:

$8.5 M$ / Year X 4 Yrs .... $20 M$ guaranteed

woodbuck27
02-06-2015, 09:07 PM
http://www.totalpackers.com/2015/02/06/randall-cobbs-price-tag-going-huge/

Randall Cobb’s Price Tag is Going to Be Huge

" the floor for Cobb is likely $7 million annually. The ceiling is certainly a good deal higher.

That’s great Randall and awful for the Packers.

Before the season, we anticipated Cobb would get a deal around $5-6 million annually. Then an extension didn’t get done and he went out and had a career year. The Packers now have absolutely no leverage.

The only thing they have is this question. How much can we afford to invest in two receivers? "

Comment woodbuck27:

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

Projected CAP Room: 2015 - $23,722,642

Randall Cobb showed the NFL who he is in 2014. I'm starting to get used to the Green Bay Packers not signing Randall Cobb.

Look at his age and the whole package he offers an NFL team.

I hoped Ted Thompson would get Randall Cobb wrapped up. I know TT loves to play the waiting game.

This is a very special player.

woodbuck27
02-06-2015, 09:58 PM
https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/bCj2HjCLTttFVUbNr-lITfvw1NM=/0x34:2304x1570/783x522/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/45626170/usa-today-8337105.0.jpg

Some pictures are worth $Millions$.

woodbuck27
02-07-2015, 02:46 AM
Where would the Packers offense have been without Randall Cobb at seasons end? Jordy Nelson wasn't the positive factor that Randall Cobb was.

He's one of the best receivers in a stacked free agency WR class period. It won't be cheap for Green Bay to bring him back. The Packers will carry over approx.$7.8 M$ in unused cap space that might be uses to secure Randall Cobb. Hopefully TT says goodbye to AJ Hawk and Brad Jones, that he doesn't allow BJ Raji's agent to hood wink him. Ted Thompson also has to restructure Tramon Williams and do the same with Julius Peppers. Both have personal claims it should be otherwise.

Randall Cobb could easily move to the top of the FA WR class if Dallas secures Dez Bryant. Imagine the Cowboys absent Bryant? Would Philly allow Jeremy Macklin to get away?

He's five years younger than Jordy Nelson and there are now predictions that he'll receive more than the 5-year $43 million price tag for Jordy Nelson.

Will Ted Thompson allow Randall Cobb to move to another team once the price exceeds $9 M$ per year? It sure looks like that's where this story is headed. Right now it appears that it's a waiting game to seal the deal on what Randall Cobb could deserve.

Patience is the $purse$.

pbmax
02-07-2015, 09:21 AM
I know TT loves to play the waiting game.

What if Randall's ask is above what you were willing to pay in Message #21 (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?27625-Official-Randall-Cobb-FA-Thread&p=827316&viewfull=1#post827316)?

Is that waiting?

Thompson has signed a bunch of guys prior to their FA market. But if they can't agree, then the player is going to wait for the market to act.

I suspect that if Cobb could be had for between 7 an 8 million annually, it would be a done deal. The question likely is how close (or over) he will be to Jordy.

woodbuck27
02-07-2015, 10:28 AM
What if Randall's ask is above what you were willing to pay in Message #21 (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?27625-Official-Randall-Cobb-FA-Thread&p=827316&viewfull=1#post827316)?

Is that waiting?

Thompson has signed a bunch of guys prior to their FA market. But if they can't agree, then the player is going to wait for the market to act.

I suspect that if Cobb could be had for between 7 an 8 million annually, it would be a done deal. The question likely is how close (or over) he will be to Jordy.

"What if Randall's ask is above what you were willing to pay in Message #21?

Is that waiting?" pbmax

That would be a refusal.

Joemailman
02-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Last year Victor Cruz signed a 5 year, 43 million dollar contract with the Giants. This is what Cobb will try to beat, but he won't beat it by much. 4 years, 36 million or 5/45 sounds right to me.

woodbuck27
02-09-2015, 04:50 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/will-green-bay-packers-pony-up-or-pass-on-randall-cobb-b99441163z1-291218441.html

Green Bay Packers

Will Green Bay Packers pony up or pass on Randall Cobb?

By: Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel

Feb. 8, 2015

" ... And business, for NFL wide receivers, couldn't be better. A handful of the league's best are up for new contracts — Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, Cobb, Jeremy Maclin, Torrey Smith and Michael Crabtree. Of course, teams can still lock up unrestricted free agents before the spending spree officially begins March 10. The franchise tag is expected to be around $12.7 million for wide receivers if teams want to use that option. ..."

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
02-16-2015, 09:45 PM
Today at 8:34 PM EST ... 16 Feb. 2015

Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky

Indications are that WR Randall Cobb is seeking a deal that averages in the $9 million-per-year range.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/16/randall-cobb-looking-for-9-million-a-year/

Randall Cobb looking for $9 million a year

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 16, 2015, 3:27 PM EST

red
02-21-2015, 10:42 AM
i'm beginning to think that cobb might be leaving

the two sides have been working for awhile, and the deal isn't done. i'm thinking the packers have a number, and they aren't gonna budge from that (proven by the jennings negotiation)

and IMO, that number might be a lot lower then a lot of us think, and the team might have a good reason for that. they have proven in the past that they have no problem letting wr's leave if they think they have the talent on the roster to fill in (jennings, driver, jones). adams came on late last year, we have jordy as a clear deep threat #1, sounds like m3 has big hopes for janis, and a lot of us think Abbrederis has got what it takes. not to mention this looks like another freakishly deep draft for wr's just like last year where we can get good talent in the mid to late rounds

and oh, a-rod seems to be able to make and WR look good, proven by jennings and jones not amounting to much after they left

and i think it might be a wise move to NOT tie up a lot of money in another WR

Guiness
02-21-2015, 11:40 AM
I'm also getting the feeling he'll be gone. As others have said, that would be a lot of money tied up in the WR position, is that something they want to do?

OTOH, the Packers have sunk big money into multiple players at other positions - CB and OLB - so maybe they will.

I do wonder why the deal didn't get done during the season. Was it a matter of Cobb betting on himself? After the injury in 2013, I would've thought he was motivated to get some money in the bank sooner rather than later.

King Friday
02-21-2015, 01:24 PM
and i think it might be a wise move to NOT tie up a lot of money in another WR

Why? Putting money toward keeping good players is fine. Cobb is a good player...he's young...he's ascending. Thompson should focus on NOT putting money toward mediocre or average players. That is what destroys your cap.

The Packers let Jennings go because he was not young and no longer ascending. Same with Jones. The Packers also had capable PROVEN young talent rising when they let those guys go...like Nelson, Cobb, etc. That is no longer true. Adams looks capable...but I don't think he's proven yet. Everything behind Adams is a complete unknown at this point. I don't care what McCarthy "thinks" about who is going to step up. He doesn't know...neither does anyone else at this point.

There are a lot of FA receivers this year...and none of them are getting locked up yet. I think everyone is waiting for the market to firm up for these guys. The lack of movement is more of a "business" decision than a sign that Green Bay isn't interested in keeping Cobb.

Guiness
02-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Why? Putting money toward keeping good players is fine. Cobb is a good player...he's young...he's ascending. Thompson should focus on NOT putting money toward mediocre or average players. That is what destroys your cap.

The Packers let Jennings go because he was not young and no longer ascending. Same with Jones. The Packers also had capable PROVEN young talent rising when they let those guys go...like Nelson, Cobb, etc. That is no longer true. Adams looks capable...but I don't think he's proven yet. Everything behind Adams is a complete unknown at this point. I don't care what McCarthy "thinks" about who is going to step up. He doesn't know...neither does anyone else at this point.

There are a lot of FA receivers this year...and none of them are getting locked up yet. I think everyone is waiting for the market to firm up for these guys. The lack of movement is more of a "business" decision than a sign that Green Bay isn't interested in keeping Cobb.

The lack of movement in getting the top WRs signed by the teams they played for last year is interesting. Bryant, Cobb and Demaryius are all unsigned. Maclin as well.

I wonder if part of it is because of the high franchise tag at that position? At 12M, does that reduce its effectiveness as a bargaining lever teams can use?

Bretsky
02-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Just sign him already...5Yr 44MIL
Get it down. You keep ascending players. You keep Randall Cobb

vince
02-21-2015, 04:59 PM
I think I read somewhere that Cobb's agent would be meeting with the Packers at the Combine. Would Ted actually be able to stop drooling over the rooks long enough to close a deal for Cobb?

yetisnowman
02-21-2015, 05:11 PM
Just sign him already...5Yr 44MIL
Get it down. You keep ascending players. You keep Randall Cobb
This. The dropoff would be massive without him. We need him to compete for superbowls.

denverYooper
02-21-2015, 05:52 PM

They offered Jennings a nice contract previous to his last season with the Packers. I don't remember the numbers, but they were around 10 mil. He chose to turn that down and play for the opportunity to get more. Then he got injured, had a subpar season, and probably lost money on Green Bay's original offer.

At the time, and soon after he left the Packers, he and his retinue made comments to the effect that Rodgers was holding Jennings back by not feeding him the ball. He acted a bit like a diva at the end and ended up getting overpaid by the Vikings. Turned out that Rodgers can make a big difference for a WR.

I don't get that air from Cobb. I get the sense that he likes playing with Rodgers and sees their relationship as more of a connection than a competition. Rodgers, too, has made comments about how much he enjoys the connection he has with Randall.

And I think they cut Jones to free up a bit more room to work on Bulaga and Cobb.

denverYooper
02-21-2015, 06:08 PM
No team's in a hurry right now, either. I think both sides were waiting to find out the 2015 salary cap was going to be before they engaged in any serious negotiation. The fact that they let Jones go pretty shortly after the cap was announced makes me think that they have a deal or two in progress.

vince
02-21-2015, 07:18 PM
No team's in a hurry right now, either. I think both sides were waiting to find out the 2015 salary cap was going to be before they engaged in any serious negotiation. The fact that they let Jones go pretty shortly after the cap was announced makes me think that they have a deal or two in progress.
Start of free agency is March 10. At least it won't be too much longer one way or another.

pbmax
02-22-2015, 11:42 AM
This. The dropoff would be massive without him. We need him to compete for superbowls.

What if Cobb thinks he gets more than this elsewhere?

Can you really pay a slot guy almost $2 million more a year than the last FA deal?

Patler
02-22-2015, 12:27 PM
And I think they cut Jones to free up a bit more room to work on Bulaga and Cobb.

That, and the fact that Jones no longer figures into their plans at all as a backup or STs. No point carrying him to camp at that salary, because an injury in a team activity could cost them a lot. I think he would have been cut even if they had no intention to sign anyone.

Patler
02-22-2015, 12:46 PM
First, let me make the following clear:
- I fully expect they will re-sign Cobb, unless he gets a massive deal somewhere.
- I want them to re-sign Cobb.

That said, I don't think all is lost if he goes elsewhere. Much of what I am hearing about Cobb being irreplaceable I heard about Walker when he was holding out, Driver when his contracts were due and when he was aging, Jennings when hiis future was debated for two years, Finley when his contract was up and when his future became doubtful and Nelson when his contract was due. To a lesser degree, there was worry about Jones departure. Now it's Cobb's turn.

I think reality is that they don't need to replace anyone, they simple reformulate a bit to take advantage of what the next guy in line has to offer.

If Cobb were to leave, I think the offense would be fine with Adams. Rodgers II could step forward at TE ("Q" is what he is at this point). With a possible return to form by Boykin (perhaps unlikely), and/or steps up by Abbrederis or Janis and another likely draft pick or two at WR and/or TE, they will be fine. Sure, each and every one is indefinite, but they don't need all of them to blossom, just one or two.

I don't want them to lose Cobb, but I will not anguish over it if they do; nor will my expectations for the upcoming season go down because of it.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-22-2015, 12:59 PM
- I fully expect they will re-sign Cobb, unless he gets a massive deal somewhere.

That said, I don't think all is lost if he goes elsewhere. Much of what I am hearing about Cobb being irreplaceable I heard about Walker when he was holding out, Driver when his contracts were due and when he was aging, Jennings when hiis future was debated for two years, Finley when his contract was up and when his future became doubtful and Nelson when his contract was due. To a lesser degree, there was worry about Jones departure. Now it's Cobb's turn.

I think reality is that they don't need to replace anyone, they simple reformulate a bit to take advantage of what the next guy in line has to offer.

If Cobb were to leave, I think the offense would be fine with Adams. Rodgers II could step forward at TE ("Q" is what he is at this point). With a possible return to form by Boykin (perhaps unlikely), and/or steps up by Abbrederis or Janis and another likely draft pick or two at WR and/or TE, they will be fine. Sure, each and every one is indefinite, but they don't need all of them to blossom, just one or two.

I don't want them to lose Cobb, but I will not anguish over it if they do; nor will my expectations for the upcoming season go down because of it.

I agree. Packers don't seem to have problems finding wide receivers. No sense busting the bank to sign Cobb. Do I want to keep him, sure, but I would rather see the money go to higher needs on the team. It will be super bowl next year so you do what ya gotta do...

red
02-22-2015, 02:27 PM
I agree. Packers don't seem to have problems finding wide receivers. No sense busting the bank to sign Cobb. Do I want to keep him, sure, but I would rather see the money go to higher needs on the team. It will be super bowl next year so you do what ya gotta do...

exactly

ad in the fact that TT knows how to find wr's, M33 knows how to coach them up, and a-rod knows how to get the best out of him

we already have one clear cut #1 in jordy, do we really need to pay two #1s?, with our wr factory?

Guiness
02-22-2015, 03:48 PM
exactly

ad in the fact that TT knows how to find wr's, M33 knows how to coach them up, and a-rod knows how to get the best out of him

we already have one clear cut #1 in jordy, do we really need to pay two #1s?, with our wr factory?

I'm really torn about what to think about this. Everything you say is right, but I have to wonder, is Cobb a special player? 100 catches, 1300 yards, yes Rodgers makes his WRs better, but you can't credit him with all of those yards. The announcers are always raving about how Cobb gets open on broken plays/when Rodgers gets flushed from the pocket, with Rodgers propensity to hold the ball too long, how important is that, and is it something that can easily be found?

Of course, the announcers, especially Buck, always say that's because Cobb used to be a QB, which is a load. Being a QB in HS and as part of a wildcat formation in colledge gives you exactly zero insight into how to be a good receiver in the NFL game!

gbgary
02-22-2015, 04:42 PM
you don't let difference makers get away. remember those bf years without difference makers on o?! there's plenty of cap room to resign our best guys and then some.

red
02-22-2015, 04:53 PM
you don't let difference makers get away. remember those bf years without difference makers on o?! there's plenty of cap room to resign our best guys and then some.

i said the exact same thing during jennings last year, until he and his sister went all nazi on us

we survived

most of us didn't like to see a very solid #3 in james jones leave last year, we drafted 3 rookies and moved on

we survived

i love cobb, but some people need to prepare for the very real possibility that he will not be a packer in just over 2 weeks

Joemailman
02-22-2015, 05:02 PM
i said the exact same thing during jennings last year, until he and his sister went all nazi on us

we survived

most of us didn't like to see a very solid #3 in james jones leave last year, we drafted 3 rookies and moved on

we survived

i love cobb, but some people need to prepare for the very real possibility that he will not be a packer in just over 2 weeks

Jennings and Jones were not ascending players when TT let them leave. And they weren't 24 years old either. The Packers would survive without Cobb, but it would be very out of character for TT to let Cobb leave at this point.

pittstang5
02-22-2015, 05:11 PM
I like Cobb, I want to see him as a Packer. If he's not resigned, I'll survive, but I DO NOT want to see him in a Bears, Lions or Vikings uniform. That, I will not be able to live with.

vince
02-22-2015, 05:53 PM

we survived

we survived

Big difference between then and now. I wasn't sweating the potential loss of either of those guys because Cobb was waiting in the wings. Plus, Jones is decent but eminently replaceable. Unlike years/receivers past, I'm not seeing another guy on the roster to effectively replace Cobb.

Rodgers might be able to incorporate some other guys but I'd be shocked to see Abrederis as the next 1,200 yard, 12 TD receiver at this point. We don't even know if he'll be able to stay on the field. Maybe the combination of him, Adams and Janis can fill the void, but without Cobb, Jordy's not as effective either.

They'll go on and be good but I don't see how you can argue they're as good without Cobb at this point. He's a pretty important piece.

Guiness
02-22-2015, 06:10 PM
As we talk about Cobb's potential contract, what is Nelson's contract, really?

Advertised as 4yr $39M extension (5yrs $43M total) with $8.25M and $9.25M in the final two years, I wonder if he sees those paydays? Certainly the Packers protected themselves, and can have him for an average of 8.5M/yr for 3 years then cut bait when the base jumps by 3 million.

red
02-22-2015, 06:51 PM
As we talk about Cobb's potential contract, what is Nelson's contract, really?

Advertised as 4yr $39M extension (5yrs $43M total) with $8.25M and $9.25M in the final two years, I wonder if he sees those paydays? Certainly the Packers protected themselves, and can have him for an average of 8.5M/yr for 3 years then cut bait when the base jumps by 3 million.

jordy's contract is insanely team friendly for the first 3 years

he got 14.5 million cash last year

this year he will make less then 2.5 million

in 2016 he'll make 6.5 million

thats insane for a player of his level

what nobody mentions is that jordys contract was an extension, just like the one we talked about with a-rod. it was not a 4 year 39 million dollar contract, it was a 4 year 39 million dollar EXTENTION. meaning it was a 5 year 39 + whatever he was suppose to originally make in 2014 (maybe a 5 year 42.5 million dollar deal, or 8.5 a year). under the 9 being mentioned for cobb

Patler
02-22-2015, 07:12 PM

The same was said about Finley, and he is gone.
The same was said about Jennings, and he is gone.
The same was said about Walker, and he was gone.

Each had been a difference maker for the Packers and all were gone in what should have been the primes of their careers. The Packer offense barely missed a beat. It may have been different without them, but it continued to be effective none the less.

Patler
02-22-2015, 07:20 PM

Careful! I said that about Jennings the year before he left, because I saw signs that he wanted to leave. I thought I might be lynched! I was "guaranteed" that GB would never let him get away, he was too important to their offense.

This situation is very different than Jennings. I think Cobb would legitimately like to stay, and GB would like to keep him. But that doesn't mean the business end will work to the satisfaction of both. You are right, he could be somewhere else in a few weeks.

red
02-22-2015, 07:21 PM
The same was said about Finley, and he is gone.
The same was said about Jennings, and he is gone.
The same was said about Walker, and he was gone.

Each had been a difference maker for the Packers and all were gone in what should have been the primes of their careers. The Packer offense barely missed a beat. It may have been different without them, but it continued to be effective none the less.

exatly my point too, i was trying to agree with you without saying so

what was our offense ranked after losing those guys?

still pretty god damn good

pssssssssst.......

its the QB, not the wr's. and the one we have now is better then the last guy was

if we lose cobb, we will still be one of the top offenses in the NFL, but we could use that 8-9 million to fix the other problems

Patler
02-22-2015, 07:22 PM
I like Cobb, I want to see him as a Packer. If he's not resigned, I'll survive, but I DO NOT want to see him in a Bears, Lions or Vikings uniform. That, I will not be able to live with.

The Vikings will have an opening when they release Jennings.

red
02-22-2015, 07:25 PM
Careful! I said that about Jennings the year before he left, because I saw signs that he wanted to leave. I thought I might be lynched! I was "guaranteed" that GB would never let him get away, he was too important to their offense.

This situation is very different than Jennings. I think Cobb would legitimately like to stay, and GB would like to keep him. But that doesn't mean the business end will work to the satisfaction of both. You are right, he could be somewhere else in a few weeks.

yup, at the time he was a top 5 WR and still young (29) and TT only lets guys over 30 walk. i remember those discussions

i also remember bringing up 2 years ago the fact that cobb is gonna cost a lot of money when his contract is up, and TT has proven he doesn't like/need to spend a lot of money at that position, and he already spent a good amount on one guy

and, if cobb walks, we probably get a 3rd round comp pick in 2016

pbmax
02-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Cobb is in a different situation than Jennings/Jones in that its not a slam dunk who will replace his contributions and production.

The last time it looked like this, Jennings was a rookie. Though I think the bench strength (Adams, Abbrederis and Janis) is better now than then.

Replacing receivers has gone smoothly, but it does have effects. See red zone offense.

Rastak
02-22-2015, 08:17 PM

I'm not sure that will happen. I think he'd leave them with alot of dead money and the truth is he's still a very good receiver. The fact that Bridgewater played so well I would think they'd want a pro's pro like that in the offense. That said, he does make a ton of coin.

Patler
02-22-2015, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure that will happen. I think he'd leave them with alot of dead money and the truth is he's still a very good receiver. The fact that Bridgewater played so well I would think they'd want a pro's pro like that in the offense. That said, he does make a ton of coin.

Sometime, I wonder about Jennings, and if he really does provide what teams want from a "pro's pro." He was not happy in GB sharing the limelight with other receivers, and even seemed to resent the attention being focused on Rodgers. If Charles Johnson becomes the focus, will Jennings start grumbling?

Bretsky
02-22-2015, 08:32 PM

I don't see any threat at all in Rodgers and Q is a J.A.G.; losing Cobb to me would be huge. We'd actually need to count on a Fresno State guy !

Bretsky
02-22-2015, 08:35 PM
Sometime, I wonder about Jennings, and if he really does provide what teams want from a "pro's pro." He was not happy in GB sharing the limelight with other receivers, and even seemed to resent the attention being focused on Rodgers. If Charles Johnson becomes the focus, will Jennings start grumbling?

THERE is a guy I'd still like to have....CHARLES JOHNSON......we should have cut Brad Jones years ago and let Johnson carry that spot

denverYooper
02-22-2015, 08:49 PM

It'd be funny if Cobb went to MN and Jennings ended up back in GB.

pbmax
02-22-2015, 11:40 PM

Greg got sidetracked by the same contract chase that hurt Finley. It didn't screw his hands up like it did to Jermichael, but it did provide a monster distraction.

He was a better receiver than Jones, Nelson or Cobb and could make plays they could not, especially in the middle of the field. But he wanted a Fitzgerald/Vicent Jackson contract to cap his career after the friendlier deal he took in his second contract. When it started to fall apart, the whole family came unglued.

smuggler
02-23-2015, 01:06 AM
Greg was a very good player for quite a while for us. He started to fall apart psychologically when he started to fall apart physically. There was talk, for the longest time, about how he did not want to play football well into his thirties, that he wanted to do something else with his life. But the ego is a very difficult thing to overcome...

gbgary
02-23-2015, 03:15 PM
we're in better cap shape this year than those other years. taking one step back and one step forward hasn't gotten us anywhere. he'll get signed.

mraynrand
02-23-2015, 03:43 PM
taking one step back and one step forward hasn't gotten us anywhere.

but you're on your way to the hokey pokey

HarveyWallbangers
02-23-2015, 05:03 PM
Greg got sidetracked by the same contract chase that hurt Finley. It didn't screw his hands up like it did to Jermichael, but it did provide a monster distraction.

He was a better receiver than Jones, Nelson or Cobb and could make plays they could not, especially in the middle of the field. But he wanted a Fitzgerald/Vicent Jackson contract to cap his career after the friendlier deal he took in his second contract. When it started to fall apart, the whole family came unglued.

Jennings was better than Jones, probably slightly better than Cobb, but I'd take Nelson slightly over Jennings.

pbmax
02-23-2015, 06:11 PM
Jennings was better than Jones, probably slightly better than Cobb, but I'd take Nelson slightly over Jennings.

Don't agree. Nelson better deep and maybe on sideline, Jennings better everywhere else including route running. Packer's offense doesn't go without him in Super Bowl. Unlike Nelson, Jennings could escape press coverage with ease and get open immediately like Driver. Not dominant though and let the contract and his injury/number of catches go to his head.

I'm hoping Adams brings some of that precision back, along with escape from press man coverage.

Smidgeon
02-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Cobb's agent making a play for more money from the Pack?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/24/report-raiders-expected-to-make-a-run-at-randall-cobb/

mraynrand
02-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Don't agree. Nelson better deep and maybe on sideline, Jennings better everywhere else including route running. Packer's offense doesn't go without him in Super Bowl. Unlike Nelson, Jennings could escape press coverage with ease and get open immediately like Driver. Not dominant though and let the contract and his injury/number of catches go to his head.

I'm hoping Adams brings some of that precision back, along with escape from press man coverage.

This is correct. And Cobb cannot get open against press coverage all that well either, and doesn't have the size to clear out a bigger catch radius for himself. Although Adams has the better size and doesn't get killed by the press, I'm not sure about his precision in route running. Jennings showed that right away. (I do believe that Jenning's injury against the Raiders cost the Packers a SB repeat).

Teamcheez1
02-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Cobb's agent making a play for more money from the Pack?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/24/report-raiders-expected-to-make-a-run-at-randall-cobb/

If he wants to play for the Raiders, he better get a damn good contract because he will be working for the vet minimum after his stats plunge into the abyss.

yetisnowman
02-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Of course we will be "fine" and "survive" if we let Cobb go. We will win 10-12 games and beat up the bad teams and our average division and have a good offense, etc etc. But losing Cobb greatly diminishes our superbowl chances imo. He is a td machine, and finds ways to get open and make big plays. The broken play/improvising Aaron likes to do goes hand in hand with Cobb's skill set. Our window is now with Aaron. You guys are banking on Abbrederis and/or Janis stepping up? A 7th round pick who couldn't sniff the field as rookie and a 5th round pick who blew out his knee and never sniffed the field as a rookie? I just don't feel like we have time to groom rookies or hope and pray someone works out. We have a great young player who has a great rapport with our qb. Sign Cobb. Spend draft picks elsewhere. See what the two honkeys can do in camp.
I will be so pissed and disappointed if we don't resign Cobb.

mraynrand
02-24-2015, 03:11 PM
I just don't feel like we have time to groom rookies or hope and pray someone works out.....I will be so pissed and disappointed if we don't resign Cobb.

I'd be disappointed to lose Cobb too, but he's not elite 9 mil/year. And Adams, Rodgers, C-Dix, and Linsley don't share your worries about rookies. :)

yetisnowman
02-24-2015, 03:26 PM
I'd be disappointed to lose Cobb too, but he's not elite 9 mil/year. And Adams, Rodgers, C-Dix, and Linsley don't share your worries about rookies. :)

Agree to disagree. Adams had a solid rookie season, better than I expected honestly. But he was super inconsistent. Even if one of the whiteboys or a draft pick equal Adams in terms of production next season(which I would say is very unlikely) then I think we lose quite a bit at receiver. I'm not sure how we don't. I say pay him 9 mil a year. It's strange how 7-8 mil seems to be automatically approved but 9 is breaking the bank. If he goes somewhere else I think it is a major blow to our team. I would love to be wrong and if he goes, maybe I will see that he was a more of a product of our system and we don't even miss a beat. I just don't see it.

mraynrand
02-24-2015, 04:29 PM
If he goes somewhere else I think it is a major blow to our team.

This is the key. Is it true or not? I'm worried that it might be true, but think it's not. Plus intangibles. Is Cobb a great guy or what? I suspect he's worth a lot, in areas like locker room/team stability. Letting him go is a gamble for sure.

red
02-24-2015, 09:39 PM
so....

someone in the raiders organization, close enough to know the teams plans, lets it "leak" that IF cobb becomes a free agent, they will start a bidding war

so how is this not tampering? sounds like the very definition to me

King Friday
02-24-2015, 09:40 PM

Because no one really wants to go play for the Raiders...the league realizes this is the only way they can field a competitive team.

vince
02-24-2015, 10:19 PM
so....

someone in the raiders organization, close enough to know the teams plans, lets it "leak" that IF cobb becomes a free agent, they will start a bidding war

What are the tampering rules anyway?

I think this is Cobb's agent trying to push up his client's value by leaking a rumor to the media that Oakland would love to pursue Cobb if/when he reaches free agency. It could have been an easily misinterpreted elevator conversation at the combine or it may not even have happened.

That happened to the Packers a few years back when Steven Jackson's agent leaked info that the Packers had strong interest in him - in an attempt to push Atlanta into upping its offer. Atlanta didn't bite. A few weeks later, after failing in his attempt to push the deal higher, he signed the deal with them. So it was pretty clear that the Packers interest level was "no thanks."

Can the agent be fined or penalized for tampering in these situations?

Even if there have been conversations between Reggie McKenzie and Cobb's agent, I think there's a fairly established precedent that the NFL does't even pursue those situations this close to the deadline. No sense in squashing good juice for their media partners..

mraynrand
02-24-2015, 10:25 PM
What are the tampering rules anyway?

probably the same as the rules for football inflation, sexual assault, etc. Goodall will make like a monkey's uncle, make it up as he goes along and change his mind if some activists harass him and threaten the $$$ of the league.

vince
02-24-2015, 10:31 PM
Just my opinion, but don't sleep on the Raiders. They're not there yet, but they're getting better. Decent young defense with some vets mixed in and some pieces on offense. Two or three more pieces and they could start to make some noise. I'm pretty sure they have a boatload of cap space to fill. If I'm a free agent, I'd look hard at the opportunity to get paid a boatload and go out to the west coast and look to make things exciting.

Add Suh (28 yrs. old) and Cobb (25 yrs. old) out there, hit on your early draft pick (Kevin White maybe), and they could have some things happening real quick.

Patler
02-25-2015, 04:41 AM
Adams had a solid rookie season, better than I expected honestly. But he was super inconsistent.

Was Adams really that inconsistent, or just the third option so that in some games he was a non-factor? With the seasons that Nelson and Cobb had, I don't think you can attach much significance to Adams having games with little to show in the stat columns. Sure, he made some mistakes, and a couple times he and Rodgers weren't on the same page, but to be totally honest, that also happened a couple times with Nelson and Cobb, too. Rodgers mentioned several times through the season that Adams was doing very well, and that his opportunity would come, which it did several times.

sharpe1027
02-25-2015, 07:07 AM
I agree with Patler. Opportunity is everything for a WR. Adams did plenty with what he had.

pbmax
02-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Adams did disappear midseason, then reappeared at the end of the season. Was it inconsistency or opportunity? Rodgers seems to pass to people he trusts and my guess is that Adams was not having good practices.

But its hard to evaluate given the way games can go.

Patler
02-25-2015, 10:59 AM
I think it is a mis-perception that he disappeared for any stretch in the season. His game breakdown shows:

Game 2 - 5 receptions
Game 6 - 6 receptions
Game 8 - 7 receptions
Game 12 - 6 receptions

He had at least one reception in every game 2 through 15. From game 6 through game 12 he had 24 receptions In the 11 games 2 through 12 he had 34 receptions. His quietest period statistically was the last four games of the season.

When you have two wide receivers who catch nearly 200 completions, and an emerging starting running back with another 40, there isn't a lot left for the TEs and 3rd receiver, let alone the 4th receiver like Boykin. Adams had four big games relatively evenly dispersed throughout the season. From a 3rd receiver, that is pretty consistent, especially in view ot the years Nelson and Cobb had.

How many times was AR even looking for Adams? However, having the confidence to go to him on the fake spike said a lot about what AR thinks of Adams in my book.

pbmax
02-25-2015, 11:19 AM
My memory didn't serve me well. He disappeared at the end of the season, with one exception for week 13 and the Dallas playoff game.

Date Week Tm Opp Result Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Sk Tkl Ast
2014-09-04 1 GNB @SEA L 16-36 0
2014-09-14 2 GNB vNYJ W 31-24 7 5 50 10.00 0 0.0 0 0
2014-09-21 3 GNB @DET L 7-19 3 2 11 5.50 0 0.0 0 0
2014-09-28 4 GNB @CHI W 38-17 3 2 18 9.00 0 0.0 0 0
2014-10-02 5 GNB vMIN W 42-10 4 1 11 11.00 1 0.0 0 0
2014-10-12 6 GNB @MIA W 27-24 8 6 77 12.83 0 0.0 0 0
2014-10-19 7 GNB vCAR W 38-17 1 1 21 21.00 1 0.0 0 0
2014-10-26 8 GNB @NOR L 23-44 9 7 75 10.71 0 0.0 1 0
2014-11-09 10 GNB vCHI W 55-14 2 1 10 10.00 0 0.0 0 0
2014-11-16 11 GNB vPHI W 53-20 2 2 13 6.50 1 0.0 0 0
2014-11-23 12 GNB @MIN W 24-21 4 1 10 10.00 0 0.0 0 0
2014-11-30 13 GNB vNWE W 26-21 11 6 121 20.17 0 0.0 0 0
2014-12-08 14 GNB vATL W 43-37 4 1 6 6.00 0 0.0 0 0
2014-12-14 15 GNB @BUF L 13-21 4 1 6 6.00 0 0.0 0 0
2014-12-21 16 GNB @TAM W 20-3 4 2 17 8.50 0 0.0 0 0
2014-12-28 17 GNB vDET W 30-20 0
2015-01-11 19 GNB vDAL W 26-21 11 7 117 16.71 1 0.0 0 0
2015-01-18 20 GNB @SEA L 22-28 3 1 7 7.00 0 0.0 0 0

Patler
02-25-2015, 11:38 AM
In the last four games during which Adams "disappeared" at the end of the season, Nelson had 28 receptions for 400 yards and Cobb had 26 for 365 yards. When the top two receivers have 54 receptions in four games for 765 yards, what's left for the 3rd receiver? (Lacy had 11 for 75, too.)

pbmax
02-25-2015, 11:46 AM
In the last four games during which Adams "disappeared" at the end of the season, Nelson had 28 receptions for 400 yards and Cobb had 26 for 365 yards. When the top two receivers have 54 receptions in four games for 765 yards, what's left for the 3rd receiver? (Lacy had 11 for 75, too.)

His targets indicate he was not used as an option deliberately. Whether that was by choice, matchup or opponent gameplan happenstance, I cannot say.

My best guess is that it was the game planner, because when he felt he needed him (NE and Dal) he was involved plenty. But that could still mean that unless McCarthy called his number, Rodgers hadn't fully learned to trust him. Rodgers did say that Adams was doing good things in practice by the end of the season.

Tony Oday
02-26-2015, 10:32 AM
Well looks like Cobb is gone. Per La Confora Packers are going to let Cobb test the FA market and the market will get out of hand. They don't want to pay a slot guy $9 mil per year. The cupboard is getting bare at WR. We need a TE and two good WRs.

red
02-26-2015, 10:37 AM
told you guys

red
02-26-2015, 10:39 AM
i wonder what the hell we're gonna do with all our cap space

better bring in some decent free agents

we have about 32 million in free cap space

Tony Oday
02-26-2015, 11:33 AM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/2/26/8114313/packers-allow-randall-cobb-test-market-bryan-bulaga-letroy-guion

I like Bulaga but AR still needs targets.

Tony Oday
02-26-2015, 12:09 PM
Here is where the money will go:

http://www.nfl.com/player/juliusthomas/2495353/profile

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-26-2015, 01:32 PM
Well looks like Cobb is gone. Per La Confora Packers are going to let Cobb test the FA market and the market will get out of hand. They don't want to pay a slot guy $9 mil per year. The cupboard is getting bare at WR. We need a TE and two good WRs.

Randall Cobb @rcobb18
· 53m 53 minutes ago
Rule #1: Don't believe everything you hear in the media.

0 replies 726 retweets 972 favorites

mraynrand
02-26-2015, 01:52 PM
Rule#2: Don't believe everything you read on @rcobb18

smuggler
02-26-2015, 01:58 PM
I think I would be pretty disappointed if we let Cobb walk but then ponied up for Julius Thomas. That 3rd round comp pick probably plays into the Cobb decision a bit. But it disappears if we sign a qualifying free agent...

I'd rather just keep Cobb..

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-26-2015, 02:15 PM

Exactly, you should question both sides. Both sides are trying to leverage for the best deal.

denverYooper
02-26-2015, 03:03 PM

No kidding.

Lotta negotiating time left.

denverYooper
02-26-2015, 03:09 PM
Here is where the money will go:

http://www.nfl.com/player/juliusthomas/2495353/profile

He would probably help in the red zone. He's terrible in pass pro though, so I don't know if the Packers would want to pay him.

mission
02-26-2015, 05:13 PM
He would probably help in the red zone. He's terrible in pass pro though, so I don't know if the Packers would want to pay him.

I'd like to think he'd be running routes in those situations.
From what I've read, he's not a willing blocker in any context. I don't really have a problem with that if he can stay healthy. Double digit TDs but no real amazing stats besides that. I can't see him getting a Graham style contract...

I'd still hate to lose Cobb though

King Friday
02-26-2015, 05:28 PM
I'm fairly certain Cobb would prefer to stay in Green Bay if the money is comparable...but it is starting to appear that Thompson isn't willing to pay a comparable amount at this point. If Cobb gets to the open market, I don't see much chance of Green Bay retaining him. The money is going to be FLYING this offseason.

mission
02-26-2015, 05:47 PM
There's no information out there that indicates truly what TT is thinking. We're jumping to a lot of conclusions based on every little tweet (I am too!), but this is all part of the posturing and dance process.
Sam Shields was signed in the 11th hour and I suspect Cobb will too. Just doesn't make sense to let him go...

What are they comfortable paying him? 7? 8? I don't think you walk over $1m... gotta get it done and I suspect it will.

smuggler
02-26-2015, 05:49 PM
I don't think so. Just because he hits open free agency, it doesnt mean he's gone. In fact, it's possible Green Bay would need to pay the premium more now than after the start.

red
02-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Just doesn't make sense to let him go...

also doesn't make sense to keep him after we spent 3 draft picks last year on wr's and already have 1 wr making big bucks and a QB who is getting paid huge $$$$ to make everyone around him better

gbgary
02-26-2015, 06:24 PM
cobb has no reason to post what he did if it wasn't a genuine feeling. there's absolutely no reason not to sign him.

King Friday
02-26-2015, 06:37 PM
$9M is a fair deal for Cobb if you consider him to be the best slot WR in the NFL currently...which I think is reasonable to assume. The cap is set to move from $130M to $160M by as soon as next year. That is a 23% increase. If you say that Victor Cruz's deal (counting the cheaper extended year) was worth around $7.5M per year as an elite slot receiver in the league a few years back, then Cobb asking for $9.25M per year is a reasonable request given the 23% increase in the salary cap.

If Thompson believed that, the deal would be done by now. The fact that Cobb has OPENLY STATED he is agreeable to a fair contract value, and yet is not signed, should be concerning to you if you believe Cobb should be resigned. Cobb isn't asking for the moon...so it stands to reason that Thompson is being stingy or just doesn't really want to put more money into the receiver position.

Teamcheez1
02-26-2015, 07:28 PM
I know everybody references $9M as a reasonable payment. Howe do we know that is the real number? What if Cobb is asking for $11 or $12M?

I think we are jumping to conclusions on where the negotiations really are right now. Cobb has no incentive to sign anything until free agency begins.

pbmax
02-26-2015, 07:55 PM
I know everybody references $9M as a reasonable payment. Howe do we know that is the real number? What if Cobb is asking for $11 or $12M?

I think we are jumping to conclusions on where the negotiations really are right now. Cobb has no incentive to sign anything until free agency begins.

$9 mil per might not be reasonable if you consider him a slot guy only. That would be above market. Even above what many in this thread agitated for Ted to sign him for initially.

However, $9 mil per might be his asking price. That has been reported, though of course we don't know how close to accurate that is.

Patler
02-26-2015, 07:59 PM
$9M is a fair deal for Cobb if you consider him to be the best slot WR in the NFL currently...which I think is reasonable to assume. The cap is set to move from $130M to $160M by as soon as next year. That is a 23% increase. If you say that Victor Cruz's deal (counting the cheaper extended year) was worth around $7.5M per year as an elite slot receiver in the league a few years back, then Cobb asking for $9.25M per year is a reasonable request given the 23% increase in the salary cap.

If Thompson believed that, the deal would be done by now. The fact that Cobb has OPENLY STATED he is agreeable to a fair contract value, and yet is not signed, should be concerning to you if you believe Cobb should be resigned. Cobb isn't asking for the moon...so it stands to reason that Thompson is being stingy or just doesn't really want to put more money into the receiver position.

With all due respect, what Cobb has said is just as meaningless as all the tweets, rumors and reports. Do you really expect him to say; "At this point, I am demanding a totally outrageous contract, because I think there might be a fool or two out there who will pay it."

What player doesn't think he is asking for a reasonable amount, regardless of what it is? Just because Cobb thinks he is being reasonable doesn't mean he really is being reasonable.

mission
02-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Remember salary context is waaaaaaaaaaaaay different now. 9m is 7m two years ago. We're still viewing contracts through those glasses.

What's the point of draft and develop with no FA involvement if you're not going to keep your stars? What is this, the Bucks? Brewers? Come on. I don't care about 3 other WR draft picks... let's go 5 wide and open it up if they're good enough for that, but nothing indicates that except maybe Adams.

pbmax
02-26-2015, 08:26 PM
Remember salary context is waaaaaaaaaaaaay different now. 9m is 7m two years ago. We're still viewing contracts through those glasses.

What's the point of draft and develop with no FA involvement if you're not going to keep your stars? What is this, the Bucks? Brewers? Come on. I don't care about 3 other WR draft picks... let's go 5 wide and open it up if they're good enough for that, but nothing indicates that except maybe Adams.

Fair point. Cap will have gone up $20+ mil in two years from just over $120 mil. That's a 17% jump. Would make a $7 mil per year deal then worth $8.2 mil now.

smuggler
02-26-2015, 10:16 PM
I really doubt the disconnect is over the totals and averages. It's about the guaranteed money and the structuring.

woodbuck27
02-27-2015, 07:13 AM
There's no information out there that indicates truly what TT is thinking. We're jumping to a lot of conclusions based on every little tweet (I am too!), but this is all part of the posturing and dance process.
Sam Shields was signed in the 11th hour and I suspect Cobb will too. Just doesn't make sense to let him go...

What are they comfortable paying him? 7? 8? I don't think you walk over $1m... gotta get it done and I suspect it will.

I don't want TT to piss around...simply sign him yesterday.

Joemailman
02-27-2015, 07:21 AM
I don't want TT to piss around...simply sign him yesterday.

It's Cobb who has to sign. TT can't force him to do anything. There's speculation as to how much Cobb is asking for, but we don't really know anything.

woodbuck27
02-27-2015, 07:28 AM
It's Cobb who has to sign. TT can't force him to do anything. There's speculation as to how much Cobb is asking for, but we don't really know anything.

I know TT's style...let him get out and seek his best value on the market.

So much for draft and develop.

TT has to get more pro active and not allow a prized talent like Cobb get away Joe.

Joemailman
02-27-2015, 07:34 AM
What does proactive mean? Give Cobb whatever he wants? If Cobb wants to test the free agent market, he has that right. There isn't a thing TT can do about it.

ThunderDan
02-27-2015, 08:07 AM
What does proactive mean? Give Cobb whatever he wants? If Cobb wants to test the free agent market, he has that right. There isn't a thing TT can do about it.

But if you don't like TT, it doesn't matter what happens it is always TT's fault for not getting it done.

We could tag Cobb in a worst case scenario.

Pugger
02-27-2015, 08:25 AM

The longer the negotiations take the more the rumors fly. I'm not going to worry about something we have no control over. I suspect they are still talking as we type.

pbmax
02-27-2015, 09:28 AM

TT has to get more pro active and not allow a prized talent like Cobb get away Joe.

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&id=19531&is_corp=1

Starting with this, let's reconstruct Packers signing of their own pending free agents.

Signed after FA starts:
1. James Jones
2. Chad Clifton

Signed before FA starts:
1. Rodgers
2. Nelson
3. Shields
4. Hawk
5. Jones

Tagged:
1. Corey Williams (traded)
2. Pickett (resigned to new deal)

mraynrand
02-27-2015, 10:40 AM

Is your only definition of pro active that TT signs who you think he should sign?

Tony Oday
02-27-2015, 10:50 AM
Tag and trade him.

Patler
02-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Let's say Cobb is worth $9M/year, that doesn't automatically mean the Packers should give it to him. No team can afford to have top paid guys at every position. Without Nelson, they might be happy to pay that to Cobb. If both were FAs, I wonder which would be their priority?

Some sya slot receivers are not being paid that much, but Cobb is more than just a slot receiver. His versatility allowed MM to be more creative.

The next couple weeks will be interesting.

Maxie the Taxi
02-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Arguably Cobb is the best slot receiver in the NFL. Pack needs to re-sign him. That said, there are a couple guys in the draft that are Cobb clones...Phillip Dorsett (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/phillip-dorsett?id=2552424) and Tyler Lockett (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/tyler-lockett?id=2552430). Either one of these guys could step right in and take over if Cobb doesn't sign with us. Offense wouldn't skip a beat.

Tony Oday
02-27-2015, 12:56 PM
http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/709118

Last second signing?

pbmax
02-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Let's say Cobb is worth $9M/year, that doesn't automatically mean the Packers should give it to him. No team can afford to have top paid guys at every position. Without Nelson, they might be happy to pay that to Cobb. If both were FAs, I wonder which would be their priority?

Some sya slot receivers are not being paid that much, but Cobb is more than just a slot receiver. His versatility allowed MM to be more creative.

The next couple weeks will be interesting.

Some of that creativity is because Cobb doesn't escape press man coverage well. In the backfield, he is more likely to get a linebacker. He isn't in the backfield to run, though they do need to run him on occasion to keep the defense honest with that linebacker.

He is an odd slot receiver. He is better at getting open after the play has broken down. The Packers would certainly miss him, but I am not convinced he is worth Nelson money. That would be a signing down out of lack of depth. Someone mentioned the last three draft picks need to pay off, but while Adams would seem ready to step in, Abbredaris, Boykin and Janis are uncertainties.

Guiness
02-27-2015, 01:22 PM
Some of that creativity is because Cobb doesn't escape press man coverage well. In the backfield, he is more likely to get a linebacker. He isn't in the backfield to run, though they do need to run him on occasion to keep the defense honest with that linebacker.

He is an odd slot receiver. He is better at getting open after the play has broken down. The Packers would certainly miss him, but I am not convinced he is worth Nelson money. That would be a signing down out of lack of depth. Someone mentioned the last three draft picks need to pay off, but while Adams would seem ready to step in, Abbredaris, Boykin and Janis are uncertainties.

I'd say Boykin's a certainty :sad:

pbmax
02-27-2015, 03:31 PM
Well they better sign him soon because the amount of FA money just keeps climbing. The Cardinals just waived Darnell Dockett and the Dolphins, just refer to them as Jets 2.0, have released every WR but Mike Wallace.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/27/cardinals-release-darnell-dockett/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/27/dolphins-to-release-brian-hartline/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/27/dolphins-drop-brandon-gibson/

vince
02-28-2015, 12:45 AM
I'm starting to think a tag and sign might be a possibility here. I'd rather not see a $12.5 mil cap hit but they can spread that if necessary when they lock him up longer term.

woodbuck27
02-28-2015, 06:40 AM
Arguably Cobb is the best slot receiver in the NFL. Pack needs to re-sign him. That said, there are a couple guys in the draft that are Cobb clones...Phillip Dorsett (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/phillip-dorsett?id=2552424) and Tyler Lockett (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/tyler-lockett?id=2552430). Either one of these guys could step right in and take over if Cobb doesn't sign with us. Offense wouldn't skip a beat.

Scrambling to google Phillip Dorsett and Tyler Lockett for a more focused examination and 'NO' Randall Cobb.

On second thought ............why?

What are the guarantee on either of these NFL prospects ( and 'any LOCK NFL success) Vs the bona fide Randall Cobb?

It's the age old 'bird in the hand is worth ..... whatever' argument'.

I'll make this prediction right now:

If the Packers lose Randall Cobb. You can write off next season and any hope of going to and winning the Super Bowl.

Carolina_Packer
02-28-2015, 07:03 AM

At times I think NFL front offices need to be concerned about the perception that they are willing to re-sign their very top talent. The Packers being primarily a draft and develop team, it is important for them to retain the best of the developed talent, and that would be Cobb among the skill position guys. It might be tougher to retain that talent if the perception by the players ever becomes, "I get drafted by the Packers, I play at a high, productive level, and they let me walk before my second contract." That would not be a good trend. I understand that you also shouldn't do FA signings as PR moves, but to me, if you are not going to sign your best, who are you going to sign? As many have noted here, TT usually gets a second contract done with highly productive players. I see them getting something done with Cobb.

woodbuck27
02-28-2015, 07:14 AM
At times I think NFL front offices need to be concerned about the perception that they are willing to re-sign their very top talent. The Packers being primarily a draft and develop team, it is important for them to retain the best of the developed talent, and that would be Cobb among the skill position guys. It might be tougher to retain that talent if the perception by the players ever becomes, "I get drafted by the Packers, I play at a high, productive level, and they let me walk before my second contract." That would not be a good trend. I understand that you also shouldn't do FA signings as PR moves, but to me, if you are not going to sign your best, who are you going to sign? As many have noted here, TT usually gets a second contract done with highly productive players. I see them getting something done with Cobb.

Common sense dictates that YOU ARE 100% correct !!

If the packers lose COB the Packers advertising of Draft and develop and it's all about the family will be seriously left in ill repute.

TT must get this done and retain Randall Cobb.

TT's failed in the obvious before.....Randy Moss..and that cost the Packers another Super Bowl berth and likely win. I can 'only' hope that lack of focus and all the scapegoating I read here on that ....took Ted Thompson 'to school'.

The reputation of Ted Thompson and the 'Green Bay Packer FAMILY' is seriously on the line and Randall Cobb.

GO Ted Thompson GO !! >>> GO PACK GO !

Pugger
02-28-2015, 07:27 AM
So Ted is gonna force Cobb to resign with us holding a gun to his head? If some team offers Randall a ridiculous contract that screws up our cap chances are Cobb is gonna walk away. It will depend upon what Randall wants. Does he want to continue to play with the best QB in football and possibly get a ring or does he want to pad his bank account. I'd be disappointed if he leaves but it won't be the end of the world. Ted has a great knack for finding WRs in the draft and this is another good WR class.

I'm not in the camp that believes not signing Randy Moss cost us a SB berth. If Moss was the answer how come he didn't help NE win one?

gbgary
02-28-2015, 04:01 PM
watching lots of Packers replays today...also lots of clutch, very important, plays by cobb. they're NOT going to let that get away.

Carolina_Packer
02-28-2015, 07:32 PM
So Ted is gonna force Cobb to resign with us holding a gun to his head? If some team offers Randall a ridiculous contract that screws up our cap chances are Cobb is gonna walk away. It will depend upon what Randall wants. Does he want to continue to play with the best QB in football and possibly get a ring or does he want to pad his bank account. I'd be disappointed if he leaves but it won't be the end of the world. Ted has a great knack for finding WRs in the draft and this is another good WR class.

Pugger, you're right. Cobb might get a ridiculous offer elsewhere, and Green Bay may not match it, so in that case, I guess they'd be doing what is cap responsible. What I was referring to was making him a priority signing with a generous and fair offer to stay with the club. I don't think they will low ball him and let him walk.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/2/26/8114313/packers-allow-randall-cobb-test-market-bryan-bulaga-letroy-guion

Look at the tweet right after the end of the article. :-)

Patler
02-28-2015, 08:26 PM
If the Packers lose Randall Cobb. You can write off next season and any hope of going to and winning the Super Bowl.

So if Cobb gets hurt early again, the season will be lost? I don't think that would be the case. The Packers have been able to weather the loses of a lot of players.

If they lose Cobb in FA, they can plan the offense to play without him. It will be easier than if he is lost for the year in camp or early in the season. I think they will be able to make do.

smuggler
02-28-2015, 11:52 PM
They can tag him, and still allow him to seek offers elsewhere. Then, they can either match or negotiate a deal to give the other team the power to sign him. Doesn't have to be two first rounders. I'd say a tag is plausible, as that 12.5 guaranteed salary can just become part of the signing bonus that's sure to be well north of that amount anyway.

The fact that Cobb is not tagged leads me to believe a deal is imminent, but it's not proof positive, obviously.

Pugger
03-01-2015, 08:02 AM
Scrambling to google Phillip Dorsett and Tyler Lockett for a more focused examination and 'NO' Randall Cobb.

On second thought ............why?

What are the guarantee on either of these NFL prospects ( and 'any LOCK NFL success) Vs the bona fide Randall Cobb?

It's the age old 'bird in the hand is worth ..... whatever' argument'.

I'll make this prediction right now:

I don't want to lose Cobb either but I think this is a little melodramatic.

yetisnowman
03-01-2015, 11:31 AM
I don't want to lose Cobb either but I think this is a little melodramatic.

Completely disagree. Unless we have someone of equal talent or production I think our offense loses a lot of potency. Cobb scores tds and converts 3rd downs. Our defense isn't going to be lights out any time soon so we need fire power. I doubt a rookie or a 2nd year guy who contributed zilch last year can replace that. We aren't contenders with a diminished offense in my opinion.

pbmax
03-01-2015, 11:34 AM
They can tag him, and still allow him to seek offers elsewhere. Then, they can either match or negotiate a deal to give the other team the power to sign him. Doesn't have to be two first rounders. I'd say a tag is plausible, as that 12.5 guaranteed salary can just become part of the signing bonus that's sure to be well north of that amount anyway.

The fact that Cobb is not tagged leads me to believe a deal is imminent, but it's not proof positive, obviously.

No way will they franchise tag him. At $12.5 million, it would put his salary into an entirely different bracket. A player who gets tagged starts negotiating at 2X the cap number as the guaranteed amount for the next contract. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/23/all-franchised-players-should-play-the-tag-game-absent-fair-long-term-deals/

He will walk for far less than $12.5 and the tag won't even come up.

pbmax
03-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Completely disagree. Unless we have someone of equal talent or production I think our offense loses a lot of potency. Cobb scores tds and converts 3rd downs. Our defense isn't going to be lights out any time soon so we need fire power. I doubt a rookie or a 2nd year guy who contributed zilch last year can replace that. We aren't contenders with a diminished offense in my opinion.

You can't build a team and keep the cap in shape with a "this player is almost indispensable, we won't make the Super Bowl without him" approach. Maybe for you QB and maybe for one player on the Defense. But certainly not a WR.

Woodbuck earlier (weeks ago) said he wanted Cobb signed _now_ for $8.5 million per over four years. He apparently wants $9 mil per. At exactly what price do you advise the Packers to say no to?

Or should the Packers tag him?

Patler
03-01-2015, 11:57 AM
I doubt a rookie or a 2nd year guy who contributed zilch last year can replace that. We aren't contenders with a diminished offense in my opinion.

Are you considering Adams to be the guy who contributed zilch, or are you talking about Janis and Abbrederis?

yetisnowman
03-01-2015, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=Patler;829463]Are you considering Adams to be the guy who contributed zilch, or are you talking about Janis and Abbrederis?[/QUOTE

I meant zilch literally.

beveaux1
03-01-2015, 01:14 PM
The Packers have an amount they are willing to pay for every free agent on their team. Just as they rate a player in the draft according to the position they are willing to draft them. If they do not rate one of the available ILBs in this draft worthy of the 30th pick in the draft, they will not draft them, or they will trade down to a position where they would be willing to draft them. I'm sure Cobb and Bulaga have been slotted accordingly. They won't pay significantly over what their value indicates. This is the only way to manage the cap in the NFL today. Overpaying for a free agent may not hurt you this year, but it very definitely will sometime through the remainder of the contract. You don't overpay for free agents from your team or from other teams. Sherman did that and Thompson had to fix the cap. hey won't let history repeat itself on Thompson's watch.

mraynrand
03-01-2015, 02:47 PM
absolutely. So Cobb will likely test the FA market and have to decide if the marginal increase in SB he gets from another team is worth the risk of seeing his career slide, no playoffs, no pro bowl, and a meager third contract. He either better be going to another team with a very good QB and weapons or be getting a substantially greater SB/guaranteed money.

Joemailman
03-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Cobb will not, in my opinion, leave Green Bay to go to Cleveland or Jacksonville. He doesn't want to end up like Greg Jennings or Eric Decker. Now, if Seattle, Denver, New England or Indy come calling, that could be different. The question though is whether teams with a great QB feel the need to pay big money for a slot receiver. I think he'll be back with Green Bay on March 9 after most of Packer Nation has a collective heart attack.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-02-2015, 07:15 AM
Well, you can tell Cobb is a fan favorite. Much passion on this thread. My view is more neutral. If we can sign him at a reasonable paycheck, great. If we can't, tough titty, time to give one of the new kids a shot and/or draft a replacement. My opinion is we have much higher needs on the team (ILB, TE, somebody in the middle of the DL, etc). Its a tough business which does not allow us to sign everybody we want, ya gots to have priorities.

Joemailman
03-02-2015, 07:47 AM
Well, you can tell Cobb is a fan favorite. Much passion on this thread. My view is more neutral. If we can sign him at a reasonable paycheck, great. If we can't, tough titty, time to give one of the new kids a shot and/or draft a replacement. My opinion is we have much higher needs on the team (ILB, TE, somebody in the middle of the DL, etc). Its a tough business which does not allow us to sign everybody we want, ya gots to have priorities.

You do need priorities, and one of TT's priorities has been to make sure his QB has weapons. If Cobb isn't signed, this will be the most unproven group of WR's the Packers have has since 2006, when the had Driver and rookie Greg Jennings as the starters. Not saying it will all end badly if Cobb isn't signed, but it would be a bigger question mark than usual.

mraynrand
03-02-2015, 10:41 AM
Well, you can tell Cobb is a fan favorite.

absolutely

pbmax
03-02-2015, 11:26 AM
I think this is more than fan favorite. The bench was supremely loaded 3 years ago and for a while it looked like only Driver would leave.

But then Jennings and Jones left and Boykin didn't pick it up in Year 2. Depth is a much different and younger story now. It also might allow Ted more room for Cobb's contract. If Jennings and Jones were still hear even at team friendly deals, it wouldn't fit.

Fritz
03-02-2015, 11:40 AM
I wonder if Ted is still smarting and learning from the Brad Jones quandry. Ted let the cupboard get bare and so I think ponied up more than he would probably normally have.

Will he think he doesn't want to overpay again?

Smidgeon
03-02-2015, 12:07 PM
I wonder if Ted is still smarting and learning from the Brad Jones quandry. Ted let the cupboard get bare and so I think ponied up more than he would probably normally have.

Will he think he doesn't want to overpay again?

I don't think anyone is smarting over Brad Jones. Those types of deals happen everywhere when a player doesn't ascend like anticipated. And there are other differences, mainly that Cobb has put together a probowl season, and Jones did not.

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Cobb will not, in my opinion, leave Green Bay to go to Cleveland or Jacksonville. He doesn't want to end up like Greg Jennings or Eric Decker. Now, if Seattle, Denver, New England or Indy come calling, that could be different. The question though is whether teams with a great QB feel the need to pay big money for a slot receiver. I think he'll be back with Green Bay on March 9 after most of Packer Nation has a collective heart attack.

I could see the Colts making a play. They have $40M available. Cobb is similar in size to T.Y. Hilton, but I think Hilton plays mostly on the outside.

red
03-02-2015, 01:44 PM
packers said to be very interested in hurricane Phillip Dorsett

possible cobb replacement

5-9 or 5-10, 185 pounds. 4.33 speed. stole the show at the senior bowl

could be this years 2nd round WR pick for us

Sources say that Dorsett could be a steal on the second day of the 2015 NFL Draft. They say he has elite speed and will be a vertical weapon in the NFL. As a prospect, Dorsett is said to have a similar skill set to Mike Wallace, but Dorsett is more polished as a route-runner than Wallace was coming out of Ole Miss in 2009.

Dorsett was one of the stars of the Senior Bowl as he dominated in practice. He was constantly getting separation with his elite speed and route-running. Dorsett looks like a big-play threat, but also does well in the short part of the field because of how sudden he is in and out of his breaks.

Entering the Senior Bowl, Dorsett had gone under the radar, but performed really well as a senior. Miami was playing a freshman quarterback in 2014 and leaned on running back Duke Johnson, thus Dorsett didn't get many targets and had only 36 receptions on the season. However, Dorsett showed his talent by averaging 24 yards per reception for 871 yards and 10 touchdowns. A knee injury took away a chunk of his junior year, but as a sophomore, he had 58 catches for 842 yards and four touchdowns.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015WR.php

gbgary
03-02-2015, 03:36 PM
packers said to be very interested in hurricane Phillip Dorsett

possible cobb replacement

5-9 or 5-10, 185 pounds. 4.33 speed. stole the show at the senior bowl

could be this years 2nd round WR pick for us

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015WR.php
we need a sure thing like cobb...not a maybe-he'll-be-there-when-we-pick-in-the-xrd guy.

red
03-02-2015, 03:47 PM
we need a sure thing like cobb...not a maybe-he'll-be-there-when-we-pick-in-the-xrd guy.

yeah, but i'm sure TT likes the look of 400,000 a year over the next 4 years vs the 8.5-9.5 million a year cobb will get over that same time

Joemailman
03-02-2015, 03:51 PM
I wonder what the asking price would be for Greg Jennings if the Vikings release him. He might not be able to beat elite CB's anymore, but he probably has enough left to be an effective slot receiver.

red
03-02-2015, 03:56 PM
I wonder what the asking price would be for Greg Jennings if the Vikings release him. He might not be able to beat elite CB's anymore, but he probably has enough left to be an effective slot receiver.

good question

no clue

it would be a good way to gauge just how badly making a switch from a hall of fame QB, to crap/rookie QB can affect a guys value

pbmax
03-02-2015, 04:11 PM
And further evidence that the Sign Him Now crowd is Out To Lunch.

One source said the word going around at the NFL combine league personnel staff and executives was that his price was $12 million per year.

Now that is a complete a rumor as you will get as JSO. But it kinda puts a different spin on the talks so far, doesn't it?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/294719831.html

smuggler
03-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Dorsett was a guy I liked but Mayock and others have really put the spotlight on him, so the cat's out now...

Patler
03-02-2015, 04:28 PM
... The fact that Cobb has OPENLY STATED he is agreeable to a fair contract value, and yet is not signed, should be concerning to you if you believe Cobb should be resigned. Cobb isn't asking for the moon...so it stands to reason that Thompson is being stingy or just doesn't really want to put more money into the receiver position.

If the following is true, does it change your opinion at all about whether Cobb was being fair, Cobb is asking for the moon, or Thompson is being stingy?

The Packers may have set a ceiling of $10 million per year with Cobb since that is what veteran Jordy Nelson receives and they probably don't want to pay him more. Cobb appears to have a higher number than that. One source said the word going around at the NFL combine league personnel staff and executives was that his price was $12 million per year.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/294719831.html

red
03-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Dorsett was a guy I liked but Mayock and others have really put the spotlight on him, so the cat's out now...

i'm starting to come around to both undersized hurricanes. Denzel Perryman in the first, gives aus a nasty tough presence in the middle of the field (hurricane fans call him the second coming of ray lewis, which wouldn't be bad, minus the murders)

then maybe trade up in the second for Dorsett

that would be an exciting first 2 picks IMO

red
03-02-2015, 04:42 PM
If the following is true, does it change your opinion at all about whether Cobb was being fair, Cobb is asking for the moon, or Thompson is being stingy?

then thats goodbye cobb, and hello 2016 3rd round comp pick

that would be a hell of a deal for him compared to what jennings (who was better at the time he became a free agent compared to what cobb is now IMO), got

Patler
03-02-2015, 04:48 PM

that would be a hell of a deal for him compared to what jennings (who was better at the time he became a free agent compared to what cobb is now IMO), got

Ya, I can't see the Packers approaching that type of deal for Cobb either; but I didn't think they would pay Shields what they did. We will know soon enough.

vince
03-02-2015, 05:06 PM
I agree with those who think $12 mil is too much. There is some crazy cap space out there though so I don't doubt he could get close to that from someone. Bulaga may be staring at $8 or $9 mil too in this market.

King Friday
03-02-2015, 05:10 PM

Patler, there isn't nearly enough here to prove ANYTHING. If he's talking to other teams, OF COURSE he will be asking for the moon. They will need to offer the moon to take a WR away from a title contender with a HOF caliber QB.

I'm sure Green Bay could keep him for less than $12M a year. That isn't the question. The question is how much is Thompson willing to pay...and my guess is not much more than $8M.

If other teams are offering $12M and Thompson is offering $8M+...then Cobb is gone. He ain't taking that much of a haircut to stay in Green Bay.

King Friday
03-02-2015, 05:19 PM

When will you guys figure out that the cap is going up 25% over the next couple years? Lots of guys are going to make CRAZY MONEY in the next 2 offseasons. Deals signed 2-3 years ago can't be compared apples-to-apples to ones signed this or next offseason.

Jennings got $9M a year and $18M guaranteed...that's more like $11M and $22.5M in the current environment. Jennings was also a 29 year old player. Cobb is considerably younger...and earns a premium as a result.

vince
03-02-2015, 05:45 PM
2014 - $133 mil
2015 - $143 mil
2016 - $166 mil?

That'd be a 25% increase from 2014. I've seen as high as $154 projected for 2016 but nowhere in the ballpark of $160 (at least recently) much less $166. It's a players market but most teams (Packers included) still need to exercise some discipline.

Joemailman
03-02-2015, 05:53 PM
A PFT article from March 2014 had this to say:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/cap-could-hit-160-million-in-2016/

When the salary cap jumped from $123 million to $133 million last week, some suggested it could move to $140 million in 2015 and $150 million in 2016.

Think higher.

One source with knowledge of the process (but not the same source who was on the money — pun lame but intended — when providing info about the 2014 cap) tells PFT that the cap could spike to $145 million in 2015 and a whopping $160 million in 2016.

They were pretty close on the 2015 cap, so 160 in 2016 might not be out of the question.

Pugger
03-02-2015, 05:57 PM
I agree with those who think $12 mil is too much. There is some crazy cap space out there though so I don't doubt he could get close to that from someone. Bulaga may be staring at $8 or $9 mil too in this market.

$12m for a slot WR is too much and I suspect some team will offer him that and we won't be able to match it.

red
03-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Patler, there isn't nearly enough here to prove ANYTHING. If he's talking to other teams, OF COURSE he will be asking for the moon. They will need to offer the moon to take a WR away from a title contender with a HOF caliber QB.

I'm sure Green Bay could keep him for less than $12M a year. That isn't the question. The question is how much is Thompson willing to pay...and my guess is not much more than $8M.

If other teams are offering $12M and Thompson is offering $8M+...then Cobb is gone. He ain't taking that much of a haircut to stay in Green Bay.

when are you guys going to realize that people like you have been saying for years that "the cap just jumped (this much) so we should expect "x players" salary to go up "this much". yet it never does

all it means is that the top 1 or 2 guys from each team are gonna make a lot more and teams will continue to roll over record sums every year

and just because 12 million might be the new 9 million, doesn't mean we should invest that much money in a position made by the QB

is it just pure luck that every WR we've drafted since a-rod has been starter has turned in to something special, or at least not a bust?

and i call BS on the premium for being younger. jennings was still well in his prime when he got paid, with plenty of good years left. a team giving jennings a 4 or 5 year deal at 29 is gonna expect the same kind of production as they would cobb to get over the next 4 or 5 years at 24.

its not like jennings was 33 and could hit the wall any year now

red
03-02-2015, 06:04 PM
$12m for a slot WR is too much and I suspect some team will offer him that and we won't be able to match it.

some team is gonna give him that much thinking he can be more then just a slot reciever

we don't know if he can do that to be honest or not, all that we know is that in our system, he's a slot reciever

pbmax
03-02-2015, 06:07 PM
When will you guys figure out that the cap is going up 25% over the next couple years? Lots of guys are going to make CRAZY MONEY in the next 2 offseasons. Deals signed 2-3 years ago can't be compared apples-to-apples to ones signed this or next offseason.

Jennings got $9M a year and $18M guaranteed...that's more like $11M and $22.5M in the current environment. Jennings was also a 29 year old player. Cobb is considerably younger...and earns a premium as a result.

Jennings was a #1 WR. Cobb is not.

Best slot contract right now (not two or three years ago) is just over $7 million per.

The cap has gone up just over 16% in the last two years (no one can calculate the next two caps). Even if you think Cobb is Jennings, that is $10.44 mil per year, not $12. Jordy is under $10 mil right now.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-02-2015, 06:08 PM
Cobb isn't worth more than 8 mil/year based off talent alone. A very good player, but by no means is he a 1,300 yard 12 td guy on 95% of teams. He needs to realize that Rodgers plays a big factor in the stats he puts up. The Pats, Colts, and Broncos are probably the only other teams I see him being that productive with. TT should have tried to sign him much earlier in the year like he did with Nelson's first contract extension. He waited and now Cobb has most of the leverage...Inflated cap, top two free agent Wrs just got tagged, 24 yo, etc. etc. Only leverage for us is Rodgers and the high probability he would be setup to earn a high third contract.

The question is how much does that factor into his decision? Usually players follow the money and I'm almost positive the packers won't pay him more than Nelson so his limit with us is at the highest 9-10 million per year. I doubt TT even wants to pay him that.

pbmax
03-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Is Cobb as good a WR as Shields is at CB?

I think Shields is better, though Cobb might have topped his production this year.

Joemailman
03-02-2015, 06:10 PM
some team is gonna give him that much thinking he can be more then just a slot reciever

we don't know if he can do that to be honest or not, all that we know is that in our system, he's a slot reciever

Cobb's lack of size and lack of elite speed makes him much better in the slot than outside. I think he'd be overpaid at 12 million, but it might happen.

red
03-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Cobb isn't worth more than 8 mil/year based off talent alone. A very good player, but by no means is he a 1,300 yard 12 td guy on 95% of teams. He needs to realize that Rodgers plays a big factor in the stats he puts up. The Pats, Colts, and Broncos are probably the only other teams I see him being that productive with. TT should have tried to sign him much earlier in the year like he did with Nelson's first contract extension. He waited and now Cobb has most of the leverage...Inflated cap, top two free agent Wrs just got tagged, 24 yo, etc. etc. Only leverage for us is Rodgers and the high probability he would be setup to earn a high third contract.

The question is how much does that factor into his decision? Usually players follow the money and I'm almost positive the packers won't pay him more than Nelson so his limit with us is at the highest 9-10 million per year. I doubt TT even wants to pay him that.

yup

i'm all about locking your talent up with a year left on the original deal

for some reason, TT usually doesn't like to deal that way

vince
03-02-2015, 06:11 PM
A PFT article from March 2014 had this to say:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/cap-could-hit-160-million-in-2016/

They were pretty close on the 2015 cap, so 160 in 2016 might not be out of the question.
I saw that one too but that was a year ago. They overshot this year by $2 mil so my guess is they overshot next year by at least $4 mil.

I haven't seen any other projection/guess in that neighborhood - much less $166 - in the last year.

The last three years have increased by $10 mil so in the absence of a fairly recent substantive projection to the contrary, I can't see a $20 million jump next year. Maybe that's right but I've not seen it. Even a huge $15 mil jump next year doesn't get the cap to $160 and that 50% higher increase falls quite a bit short of 25% in two years.

pbmax
03-02-2015, 06:13 PM
TT should have tried to sign him much earlier in the year like he did with Nelson's first contract extension. He waited and now Cobb has most of the leverage...

How do we know he waited? In fact, we have reports that they were negotiating. What if Cobb was asking for $11 million in camp?

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Cobb's lack of size and lack of elite speed makes him much better in the slot than outside. I think he'd be overpaid at 12 million, but it might happen.

12 million a year is out of the question imo. No way can I see TT paying him 2-3 million a year more than Nelson based off one good year. One in which he actually didn't play that well the first few weeks. 9 million a year is even a lot. If Cobb wants to play for the packers he better be reasonable or he's going to Greg Jennings himself out the door. How is that working out for him? Probably won't finish his contract and will probably get low balled on his next one.

Joemailman
03-02-2015, 06:18 PM
yup

He's locked guys up early before. In Cobb's case, I think he wanted to see if Cobb was the same player after the broken leg that he was before the injury. Going into last season, he had only played 2 games since the injury.

Joemailman
03-02-2015, 06:19 PM
12 million a year is out of the question imo. No way can I see TT paying him 2-3 million a year more than Nelson based off one good year. One in which he actually didn't play that well the first few weeks. Even 9 million a year is even a lot. If Cobb wants to play for the packers he better be reasonable or he's going to Greg Jennings himself out the door.

I agree. When I said it might happen, I meant someone might pay him 12 million. But not TT.

red
03-02-2015, 06:22 PM
in 2011 the salary cap was 120 million. the franchise tag for wr's was 11.4 million or 9.5% of the cap

this year, the salary cap is 143 million, and the frachinse number for wr's is 12.8 million or 8.9 % of the cap

just because the cap goes up "x" amount, doesn't mean the new number for that position is (previous year + x amount)

Bossman641
03-02-2015, 06:30 PM
I'll be real disappointed in Cobb if he truly expects the Packers to fork over $12M a year.

vince
03-02-2015, 06:30 PM
If a team's going to throw crazy money at someone, Cobb's a guy to do it to. He can do an awful lot on the field, regardless of what position he's playing, and there's virtually no off-the-field risk. I think trying to pigeon-hole him as a slot receiver is missing the boat and teams aren't going to be doing that with him. Need an addition to help establish and/or add a winning culture in the locker room and film room? Cobb's that guy too.

There's still some hope he decides he needs to stay in Green Bay but it seems to me like someone like the Raiders are going to make it VERY tough for him to do that. There's just too much money out there.

I hope that's wrong.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-02-2015, 06:35 PM
I honestly value Bulaga more than Cobb anyways. TT has proven to have a difficult time finding quality olinemen. Its been ten years since we had this good of an oline. Without Cobb we still have Nelson, Adams, Abbredris, and Janis. I would much rather keep the starting oline together so I'm more worried about losing Bulaga.

King Friday
03-02-2015, 07:41 PM
in 2011 the salary cap was 120 million. the franchise tag for wr's was 11.4 million or 9.5% of the cap

this year, the salary cap is 143 million, and the frachinse number for wr's is 12.8 million or 8.9 % of the cap

just because the cap goes up "x" amount, doesn't mean the new number for that position is (previous year + x amount)

The franchise number is simply the average value of the 5 top contracts at a point in time.

It has virtually no bearing on what the positions will actually be paid in free agency. That depends on which positions have the most talent available compared to the need on the teams with the most available cap space.

QBs always get paid the most...but there aren't any with any value available. That means MORE money will go to other positions, such as WR.

King Friday
03-02-2015, 07:42 PM
I honestly value Bulaga more than Cobb anyways. TT has proven to have a difficult time finding quality olinemen. Its been ten years since we had this good of an oline. Without Cobb we still have Nelson, Adams, Abbredris, and Janis. I would much rather keep the starting oline together so I'm more worried about losing Bulaga.

I agree. I said so when that question first came up.

If you have a franchise QB...WRs are not as important as the OL. If you keep the QB upright, just about any receiver corp will get the job done.

King Friday
03-02-2015, 07:48 PM
The cap has gone up just over 16% in the last two years (no one can calculate the next two caps). Even if you think Cobb is Jennings, that is $10.44 mil per year, not $12. Jordy is under $10 mil right now.

The cap will continue to rise...it is based on revenue and the recent TV deals demand that the cap rise more this year and next than in prior years. No one can "calculate" the next 2 caps, but everyone knows the numbers are going to move up more than they have recently. If you don't think agents will use that in negotiations, you are kidding yourself.

The age difference is an ENORMOUS premium in Cobb's favor as well. You don't have to worry about him declining due to age at any point in this contract.

Fosco33
03-02-2015, 08:26 PM
Given that Cobb is 24 - he has so much upside potential. I'd really like to see him back w/ the pack (think - he's same age as Hyde, Abbrederis, Datone, Lacy).

Patler
03-02-2015, 08:38 PM
I'm fairly certain Cobb would prefer to stay in Green Bay if the money is comparable...but it is starting to appear that Thompson isn't willing to pay a comparable amount at this point...

Funny how in your earlier posts you found Cobb to be reasonable and TT unreasonable from the reports, rumors and statements. Now, when a report shows Cobb in a less favorable light, you argue that the reports are not to be believed. Of course, that has been my point all along. Both sides are posturing.

pbmax
03-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Given that Cobb is 24 - he has so much upside potential. I'd really like to see him back w/ the pack (think - he's same age as Hyde, Abbrederis, Datone, Lacy).

Do you honestly think he gets better at this point? He has played for 4 years and played a lot for 3 of those years. Isn't his next step going to by wily vet?

Fosco33
03-02-2015, 09:17 PM
Do you honestly think he gets better at this point? He has played for 4 years and played a lot for 3 of those years. Isn't his next step going to by wily vet?

That's the million dollar question. How many years and what's the production (value)?

Do I personally think he's got upside or will he remain a top 10 WR for next 3-5 years? Are there other, current (equally young/younger) Packers ready to step into the void if he leaves?

King Friday
03-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Funny how in your earlier posts you found Cobb to be reasonable and TT unreasonable from the reports, rumors and statements. Now, when a report shows Cobb in a less favorable light, you argue that the reports are not to be believed. Of course, that has been my point all along. Both sides are posturing.

I do not recall saying Thompson was unreasonable. I did not say reports are not to be believed. Do you actually read my posts?

I said Thompson may be stingy or unwilling to pay what a fair market price (for Green Bay) is for Cobb, which I noted as $9M a year. My opinion is that Cobb is being reasonable in his demands of Green Bay. I think Cobb would rather stay in Green Bay if the gap in pay wasn't significant to go elsewhere. I can't prove that...nor can anyone here prove the opposite at this time. We'll find out who is right after the fact.

I also did not mention that any recent report was erroneous. If anything, I said that the $12M number probably would be what Cobb was asking of a limp dick franchise like Oakland or Jacksonville. I doubt he would leave Green Bay to go somewhere like that for an extra million a year. For all any of us know, the $12M was a leak from the Raiders hoping to get Cobb to free agency.

You are right, EVERYONE is posturing. That doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on the posturing.

Pugger
03-02-2015, 11:11 PM
If I were Cobb I'd wait and check to see what the market is for me. If some team offers him #1 WR money ($11m+) he's gone. I'd love to know what we offered him that he feels isn't sufficient.

Tony Oday
03-03-2015, 04:49 AM
Cobb is gone. No way the Pack spend more than $8 mil.

Guiness
03-03-2015, 09:29 AM
The franchise number is simply the average value of the 5 top contracts at a point in time.

It has virtually no bearing on what the positions will actually be paid in free agency. That depends on which positions have the most talent available compared to the need on the teams with the most available cap space.

QBs always get paid the most...but there aren't any with any value available. That means MORE money will go to other positions, such as WR.

Yes, but Cobb is generally regarded as the top FA WR on the market - and those are the guys who generally get near the franchise number in new longer term deals.

mraynrand
03-03-2015, 09:41 AM
yup

he doesn't? It seems to me that he's done this with most of the guys he's kept.

denverYooper
03-03-2015, 09:42 AM

I'd be sort of surprised if he pulled 12m per from another team. He's a very good receiver but he's got a HOF QB throwing him the ball. That's got to make teams think twice... especially after the Vikings paid Jennings and he fell off a cliff without a stud QB.

mraynrand
03-03-2015, 09:48 AM

Isn't this the offseason Cobb takes HGH, grows three inches and learns how to defeat press coverage?

yetisnowman
03-03-2015, 09:59 AM

I can respect the let Cobb go argument until you start saying things like we still have Janis and Abberdris.

Pugger
03-03-2015, 10:14 AM

I have to agree. It will be disappointing to lose Cobb but IMO protecting The Franchise is a bigger deal. We won't win squat without #12 but we can replace Cobb a little easier.

pbmax
03-03-2015, 10:25 AM
The cap number is not determinative in FA for contract prices, but it definitely is determinative for setting the level of guarantees you can expect to negotiate for if a franchise tag is in the offing.

Fritz
03-03-2015, 10:35 AM
I do not recall saying Thompson was unreasonable. I did not say reports are not to be believed. Do you actually read my posts?

I said Thompson may be stingy or unwilling to pay what a fair market price (for Green Bay) is for Cobb, which I noted as $9M a year. My opinion is that Cobb is being reasonable in his demands of Green Bay. I think Cobb would rather stay in Green Bay if the gap in pay wasn't significant to go elsewhere. I can't prove that...nor can anyone here prove the opposite at this time. We'll find out who is right after the fact.

I also did not mention that any recent report was erroneous. If anything, I said that the $12M number probably would be what Cobb was asking of a limp dick franchise like Oakland or Jacksonville. I doubt he would leave Green Bay to go somewhere like that for an extra million a year. For all any of us know, the $12M was a leak from the Raiders hoping to get Cobb to free agency.

You are right, EVERYONE is posturing. That doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on the posturing.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZi-eIbG4LdwJMeNo66_9FFUFpW-_yNgN6L1xuopt7ua-k72yw

Cobb is simply posturing.

Zool
03-03-2015, 12:58 PM
Without Cobb we still have Nelson, Adams, Abbredris, and Janis.

This is not an argument for letting him go IMO. This is an argument for signing the man.

Tony Oday
03-03-2015, 02:08 PM
Arent we 33 Million below the cap? Even with resigning guys we have a TON of cash for a top ILB, Slot WR, TE and NT.

red
03-03-2015, 02:24 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/03/pft-planet-where-will-randall-cobb-land/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

florio thinks the packers should let him walk

he thinks he'll go to the raiders. you'd think after signing james jones last year that they would figure out by now that a-rod makes his wr's better, not the other way around

LEWCWA
03-03-2015, 03:03 PM
you think NE fans wanted to see welker get away? I'm sure they were lamenting edleman and what's his face, but in the end welker is probably done and NE has a SB trophy. Love Cobb, but WR, especially slots are a dime a dozen......abbawhatever can play in the slot and the other 2 will just get better.....

Bossman641
03-03-2015, 04:05 PM
If a team wants to pay Cobb $12M then he's gone and I wouldn't want him at that amount. I'm still holding out hope they can get something around $9M. The thought of going into the season with Adams/Janis/Abbrederis as the #2-4 WR has me terrified.

Smidgeon
03-03-2015, 04:24 PM
you think NE fans wanted to see welker get away? I'm sure they were lamenting edleman and what's his face, but in the end welker is probably done and NE has a SB trophy. Love Cobb, but WR, especially slots are a dime a dozen......abbawhatever can play in the slot and the other 2 will just get better.....

Welker was also lots older than Cobb. So while there's a parallel (regarding HOF QBs throwing to slot WRs), it falls flat soon after.

Joemailman
03-03-2015, 04:46 PM
Perhaps there's someone who will keep Randall from leaving Green Bay.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/rLCUU-oXfHo/maxresdefault.jpg

red
03-03-2015, 04:58 PM
COME ON!!!!

can't we find a hot white chick with bigger tits to help keep our athletes in town?

no wonder why so many of our free agents are leaving town

Joemailman
03-03-2015, 05:07 PM
COME ON!!!!

can't we find a hot white chick with bigger tits to help keep our athletes in town?

https://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/green-bay-packers-sexy-superfans-11.jpg

mission
03-03-2015, 05:07 PM
COME ON!!!!

Yeah, she's like a 6/7 at best? These guys can all pull 10s.

red
03-03-2015, 05:08 PM
yeah

we make her the packers yoga instructor, and we never lose a black free agent again

King Friday
03-03-2015, 05:19 PM
https://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/green-bay-packers-sexy-superfans-11.jpg

It doesn't appear that she is actually IN Green Bay.

She'd make me want to visit Green Bay though...even in the middle of winter.

pbmax
03-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Bill Huber at Packer Report says he has a source confirming that the Raiders are considering an offer to Cobb for $11 million per year. No other details.

http://gnb.scout.com/story/1523353-the-11-million-man?s=61#.VPaKCO0fhSg.twitter

The word consider in his article is doing a lot of work.

But Packer Report has learned that at least one team is prepared to offer him $11 million per season.

According to a league source, the Oakland Raiders — led by former Packers director of player personnel Reggie McKenzie — are considering offering Cobb a blockbuster deal.

smuggler
03-03-2015, 11:09 PM
Would you rather have 4yr/$36m from Green Bay or 4/$44m from Oakland?

California State Income Tax, Alameda County Income Tax, Oakland City Income Tax

v

Wisconsin State Income Tax, Brown County Income Tax, Green Bay City Income Tax

Anyone want to slide on the gumshoes here?

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-04-2015, 01:02 AM
It doesn't appear that she is actually IN Green Bay.

She'd make me want to visit Green Bay though...even in the middle of winter.

All I can say is DAMN....

But alas, I could not get somebody that hot even in my prime, a man has got to know his limitations.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-04-2015, 01:04 AM
Would you rather have 4yr/$36m from Green Bay or 4/$44m from Oakland?

California State Income Tax, Alameda County Income Tax, Oakland City Income Tax

v

Wisconsin State Income Tax, Brown County Income Tax, Green Bay City Income Tax

Anyone want to slide on the gumshoes here?

Good bye Mr. Cobb, it was nice having you on the team.

Patler
03-04-2015, 07:07 AM
According to McGinn, the Packers have been trying to get Cobb signed for the last 6 months, and have offered 5 years averaging $8-9 million.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-have-options-if-randall-cobb-leaves-b99455123z1-294947891.html

Interesting comment from McGinn:

Cobb spends an inordinate amount of time in the Packers' training room receiving treatment just like he did at Kentucky.

Guiness
03-04-2015, 08:56 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/03/pft-planet-where-will-randall-cobb-land/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

florio thinks the packers should let him walk

he thinks he'll go to the raiders. you'd think after signing james jones last year that they would figure out by now that a-rod makes his wr's better, not the other way around

He lost me at 'standout season by Davante Adams'. He had a good rookie season, but ~500 yards is a long way from a standout season.

JJ did ok this season, btw. Catches and TDs were up from '13, other totals were down but didn't fall right off. Main stat that went the wrong way was YPC, which you can probably blame on QB play.

He's listed as having played all 16 games, but only starting 10, I don't get that.

pbmax
03-04-2015, 08:57 AM
This paragraph really tells the story:

Some personnel people are convinced the market for Cobb will be between $9 million and $10 million, but they're often conservative this time of year. It wouldn't be shocking, given the number of clubs flush with cap space, to see a five-year deal for Cobb averaging $12 million, perhaps even $13 million with guarantees well in excess of $30 million.

If Cobb sees only a million a year difference, I think he wants to return and might give the Packers another shot to offer before Tuesday.

But if the difference is between a 8-9 mil average and 12-13, then its a no brainer.

Patler
03-04-2015, 09:08 AM
If Cobb sees only a million a year difference, I think he wants to return and might give the Packers another shot to offer before Tuesday.

But if the difference is between a 8-9 mil average and 12-13, then its a no brainer.

Exactly. If he can get from someone else in 3 years nearly as much as the Packers would give him in 5 years, how could he pass that up?

I think we as fans often project our feelings for a team as the players feelings and motivations. From having known and worked with a number of pro athletes, a great many of them are very business like in their approaches to their free agencies. With a few exceptions, they do not care a lot who they play for or with. The deal is paramount. Good agents keep them focused on the business aspects. Since their careers are short, their decisions have less to do with championships and team success, and more to do with the deal they get. Younger players often seem to think they will get a championship eventually, and usually feel like they will make their team a winner anyway. Championships are most important to the few old vets who extend their careers for the sole purpose of trying to get one. They will often make huge contract concessions to get on a team with a good chance at a championship.

Cobb might like to stay in GB and play with Rodgers if he can, but I doubt it will have a big influence on his decision, unless the contracts offered by the Packers and others are quite close.

red
03-04-2015, 09:27 AM
packers offered 5 for at between 8-9 million a year, cobb and his agent decided that wasn't in the ball park for what he could get on the open market

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/04/report-randall-cobb-expecting-more-than-packers-offer-of-8-9-million-a-year/

so much for the idea of golden boy randall cobb taking less money to stay with green bay. he like all players just wants the $$$$$$

sure sounds like he wants more then what jordy got, even though jordy is the clear #1 and cobb is the clear slot #2

good bye

red
03-04-2015, 09:30 AM
Exactly. If he can get from someone else in 3 years nearly as much as the Packers would give him in 5 years, how could he pass that up?

I think we as fans often project our feelings for a team as the players feelings and motivations. From having known and worked with a number of pro athletes, a great many of them are very business like in their approaches to their free agencies. With a few exceptions, they do not care a lot who they play for or with. The deal is paramount. Good agents keep them focused on the business aspects. Since their careers are short, their decisions have less to do with championships and team success, and more to do with the deal they get. Younger players often seem to think they will get a championship eventually, and usually feel like they will make their team a winner anyway. Championships are most important to the few old vets who extend their careers for the sole purpose of trying to get one. They will often make huge contract concessions to get on a team with a good chance at a championship.

Cobb might like to stay in GB and play with Rodgers if he can, but I doubt it will have a big influence on his decision, unless the contracts offered by the Packers and others are quite close.

exactly, its a game of winning and losing to us, to them its a job/business

to us, its about team, to them its about "me and my family", as it should be

ThunderDan
03-04-2015, 09:53 AM
packers offered 5 for at between 8-9 million a year, cobb and his agent decided that wasn't in the ball park for what he could get on the open market

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/04/report-randall-cobb-expecting-more-than-packers-offer-of-8-9-million-a-year/

so much for the idea of golden boy randall cobb taking less money to stay with green bay. he like all players just wants the $$$$$$

sure sounds like he wants more then what jordy got, even though jordy is the clear #1 and cobb is the clear slot #2

good bye

If that is the case than TT did exactly what Woodbuck said he should do. Huh, imagine that, TT doing his job.

ThunderDan
03-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Without Randall Cobb the Packers are in a real predicament in 2015 (Reason: A lack of trusted depth @ WR).

The objective is to get him signed and don't allow him to test the market:

If TT offers Randall Cobb 4 years for $34 M$ and $20 M$ guaranteed.... he'll sign.

It seems like this was offered.

pbmax
03-04-2015, 10:02 AM
I think $20 mil guaranteed is on the high side for these deals, unless you are in franchise tag numbers.

I suspect Cobb will come in less than the tag as an average unless a war breaks out for his services. $11+ per year is still 2 mil more than the Packers high end.

However, I am not sure if Cobb and Nelson are 2 and 1 red. Cobb is not a traditional outside WR, its not his strength, but he can function out there. He is great inside. Plus the backfield option makes him kinda unique. Packer Report said he is the best slot guy in the League, however, even that fails to capture him. He is essentially a new Slash, minus QB snaps.

Patler
03-04-2015, 10:05 AM
exactly, its a game of winning and losing to us, to them its a job/business

to us, its about team, to them its about "me and my family", as it should be

And it is not even like most of us looking for and deciding on job offers. Sometimes we look for short-term stepping stones in our career paths, but a great many of us take into consideration where we want to live and raise our families, hoping we will be there for our careers. For the pro athlete, that isn't much of a consideration because their careers are so short and their contracts even shorter. Everything is short term. Whereas we work year around, and basically need to live close to where we work, the pro athlete can live anywhere they choose, recognizing that they may have to go somewhere else to work for 6-8 months of the year. But that will be only for a few years, until their contract expires or their career ends.

Cobb is making a decision for the next 3-5 years, not for decades.

red
03-04-2015, 11:06 AM
I think $20 mil guaranteed is on the high side for these deals, unless you are in franchise tag numbers.

I suspect Cobb will come in less than the tag as an average unless a war breaks out for his services. $11+ per year is still 2 mil more than the Packers high end.

However, I am not sure if Cobb and Nelson are 2 and 1 red. Cobb is not a traditional outside WR, its not his strength, but he can function out there. He is great inside. Plus the backfield option makes him kinda unique. Packer Report said he is the best slot guy in the League, however, even that fails to capture him. He is essentially a new Slash, minus QB snaps.

i'm not sure if i'm about to argue with you or a gree with you, or if the info i'm about to give really has anything to do with your post, but it did bring up the ideaa of cobb being a "slot" wr or a real "wr", if thats the right term. so i'll just throw this info out there that i read somewhere this week

again, not to argue with you or agree with you or whatever. but others have mentioned to cobb is more then just a slot reciever

last year, he lined up 87.5% in the slot. he also lined up a bunch in the basckfield. so even though we really didn't have a great option as the #2 outside WR, cobb spent almost all of his time lined up in the slot

MadScientist
03-04-2015, 12:22 PM

Going higher in the guaranteed money may be the best chance the Packers have to sign him to more reasonable per year number. Either that, or add a bullshit last year on the contract to bump up the averages. The problem with that is that if you don't renegotiate, you have to cut him and then you don't get a chance for a comp pick. A higher guarantee isn't a huge risk for a player like Cobb.

Guiness
03-04-2015, 12:36 PM
i'm not sure if i'm about to argue with you or a gree with you, or if the info i'm about to give really has anything to do with your post, but it did bring up the ideaa of cobb being a "slot" wr or a real "wr", if thats the right term. so i'll just throw this info out there that i read somewhere this week

again, not to argue with you or agree with you or whatever. but others have mentioned to cobb is more then just a slot reciever

last year, he lined up 87.5% in the slot. he also lined up a bunch in the basckfield. so even though we really didn't have a great option as the #2 outside WR, cobb spent almost all of his time lined up in the slot

I agree that he is a slot WR. Although it's something M3 likes to have in his offense, the few times he lines up in the backfield are not that significant for defining his position.

However, Welker was tagged pretty recently, and by a guy who many think is one of the smartest in the business, so it's not unheard of for a slot guy to get tagged.

Fritz
03-04-2015, 01:59 PM
I would, of course, like to see Randall Cobb re-signed - he's a good fit in this offense and serves purposes that other receivers on the team do not seem to - that slot/out-of-the-backfield, good-when-the-play-breaks-down stuff.

But I also get that one of the reasons TT & Co. field a playoff team every year (and a serious contender every, oh, about four years) is that they have a pay structure in place that allows them enough flexibility to be successful as the pieces change. If paying Cobb blows up that pay structure, then I can see letting him get his coin elsewhere.

On the other hand, as someone here pointed out, one hopes that Jordy Nelson can see the changing sal cap landscape and would be okay if there was a little more corn on the Cobb than on him.

mraynrand
03-04-2015, 04:18 PM
The number one concern has to be guaranteed money. You'd go somewhere crappy if that number was sig. higher, because you can't count on staying healthy.

gbgary
03-04-2015, 07:05 PM
offer less but guarantee more...see what happens.

King Friday
03-04-2015, 08:23 PM

I'm sure if you had a job offer to do the same thing you are currently doing for 25% more money, you'd jump at the higher offer. So why can't Cobb do the same thing?

25% more than $9M is $11.25M. I think if Cobb gets an offer for more than that, he's clearly gone. If he gets an offer between $10-$11M/year...that is where it will be more interesting.

Cheesehead Craig
03-04-2015, 09:23 PM
So, if Cobb leaves, would the Pack sign another UFA like say, Kenny Britt?

Joemailman
03-04-2015, 09:59 PM
So, if Cobb leaves, would the Pack sign another UFA like say, Kenny Britt?

Like Britt? I hope not. He's too well known to the police.

Fosco33
03-04-2015, 10:05 PM
I wish playoffs and championship pool money was much, much higher. Like 10X's as much. in 2014, the average Seahawk got an extra $150K for the whole playoff.

If it were material - then younger players would want to stay on better teams and be more inclined to take the 'bonus' into account for compensation.

I know I look at a group variable comp closely when assessing jobs... individual variable comp (accelerators, etc) aside.

pbmax
03-05-2015, 12:50 AM
Andre Johnson is supposed to be available. :)

pbmax
03-05-2015, 12:51 AM
... but others have mentioned to cobb is more then just a slot reciever

Yep, the Packers run a ton of 3 wide. And it was usually Adams outside with Jordy after Boykin came up a cropper.

mraynrand
03-05-2015, 09:21 AM
I wish playoffs and championship pool money was much, much higher. Like 10X's as much. in 2014, the average Seahawk got an extra $150K for the whole playoff.

If it were material - then younger players would want to stay on better teams and be more inclined to take the 'bonus' into account for compensation.

I know I look at a group variable comp closely when assessing jobs... individual variable comp (accelerators, etc) aside.

Good point. Still, players on successful teams tend to have more visibility, which often translates into $$$ in advertising. Affected/tempered of course by local market size, etc., etc.

VegasPackFan
03-05-2015, 10:49 AM
He lost me at 'standout season by Davante Adams'. He had a good rookie season, but ~500 yards is a long way from a standout season.

JJ did ok this season, btw. Catches and TDs were up from '13, other totals were down but didn't fall right off. Main stat that went the wrong way was YPC, which you can probably blame on QB play.

He's listed as having played all 16 games, but only starting 10, I don't get that.

This is the Raiders. The team that needs to get younger and so they go sign MJD as a free agent. Then they start and play some combo of MJD & DMC all year while Latavius Murray sits on the bench.

At WR, I think they were starting Andre Holmes and Rod Streater ahead of JJ for a few games. Laughable!

red
03-05-2015, 10:55 AM
I'm sure if you had a job offer to do the same thing you are currently doing for 25% more money, you'd jump at the higher offer. So why can't Cobb do the same thing?

25% more than $9M is $11.25M. I think if Cobb gets an offer for more than that, he's clearly gone. If he gets an offer between $10-$11M/year...that is where it will be more interesting.

yup, that why i mentioned that exact thing on the last page, or maybe it was this one

it was a shot at the people who have been saying "of cobb isn't all about the money, if TT comes withon a million dollars of what someone else offers him, he'll stay". "he's not like all the others"

red
03-05-2015, 05:03 PM
sounds like cobbs agent told the packers he wanted 10 a year, and the packers countered with the 8-9 million a year figure we heard, so cobb is hitting the market where the raiders have announced (through an unnamed sourse inside the organization because that would be tampering if someone with a name said it) they'll give him between 11 and 12 million a year

it seems like the hometown discount was for about 10 million a year. waaay too much IMO. the packers offer was right where it should have been IMO

mission
03-05-2015, 05:12 PM
Greg Olson just got 7.5/mil per year. Cobb isn't worth $2.5mil more at 24 years old?? Come on.

There's something to be said about having a target, but to lose the guy over $1m is just stubborn.

EDIT -- Now if the story is that they want to use that money to bring in some other big time players then fine, but if they roll cap space into next year and lose out on Cobb over $1m I'm going to go apeshit.

red
03-05-2015, 05:30 PM
Greg Olson just got 7.5/mil per year. Cobb isn't worth $2.5mil more at 24 years old?? Come on.

There's something to be said about having a target, but to lose the guy over $1m is just stubborn.

EDIT -- Now if the story is that they want to use that money to bring in some other big time players then fine, but if they roll cap space into next year and lose out on Cobb over $1m I'm going to go apeshit.

if you give everyone, just another million a year, we end up about 52 million over the cap

or in our case around 45 million over

if you give everyone just an extra 10% we end up over the cap too

gotta draw your lines and stick to your guns sometimes

but yeah, i would hope we use that money to sign some decent free agents if we don't spend it on him. its not like we have a bunch of bigtime contracts coming due in the next year, do we?

Smidgeon
03-05-2015, 05:44 PM
if you give everyone, just another million a year, we end up about 52 million over the cap

or in our case around 45 million over

if you give everyone just an extra 10% we end up over the cap too

gotta draw your lines and stick to your guns sometimes

but yeah, i would hope we use that money to sign some decent free agents if we don't spend it on him. its not like we have a bunch of bigtime contracts coming due in the next year, do we?

Now you're just being reasonable. Where's the vitriol I've come to expect? Man, this offseason is weird.

red
03-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Now you're just being reasonable. Where's the vitriol I've come to expect? Man, this offseason is weird.

eh, new meds

SMBASS
03-05-2015, 06:53 PM
Raiders with even more money to spend. I'm guessing that Cobb will be gone as either the Jags or Raiders will probably offer him in the $11 - $13 million range or a lot more guaranteed money. Both teams need to generate some excitement in their fan base and they both have a lot of money that has to be spent. Shit, between the two of them they can buy just about everybody.

@VicTafur: Branch, Woodley and Jones-Drew off the books puts #Raiders at $64 million under the salary cap. Schaub's departure will make it $69.5 million.