PDA

View Full Version : What will Ted Thompson do about the ILB position in the Off Season?

woodbuck27
02-08-2015, 04:52 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/inside-will-likely-get-different-look-for-packers-b99435245z1-290854131.html

Article:

Positional overview: Linebackers

Inside will likely get different look for Packers

Comment woodbuck27:

Most here at Packerrats would agree that Ted Thompson has to say good bye to AJ Hawk and Brad Jones.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

Distribution of spending CAP money by position:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/positional/

After that he has to look at Free Agency and the Draft to upgrade the team at the linebacker position and return Clay Matthews to the outside where he belongs.

Also at linebacker. What will Ted Thompson do with the valuable addition to the Packer defense last off season, Julius Peppers?

Joemailman
02-08-2015, 08:51 AM
TT will release Jones and Hawk, saving 7 million. Although I don't expect TT to be very active this year in FA other than signing his own guys, ILB is one position where he might try to make a deal. If he releases Hawk and Jones, Barrington is the only experienced guy he really has. Carl Bradford and Nate Palmer will get a look, but they haven't played the position in a regular season game. As for the draft, Eric Kendricks is likely the only ILB that TT would consider on the 1st round. Perryman and McKinney don't have the coverage skills to go that early.

As for Peppers, I see TT working on a new contract to lower the cap hit from 12 million to 7-8 million. That, along with the release of Jones and Hawk would give TT about 34 million of cap space to work with.

red
02-08-2015, 11:05 AM
why would TT or peppers redo his contract after just the first year of a 3 year deal?

peppers signed the deal with a very cap friendly first year, and took a big paycut to do it, knowing if he played well, he would make his normal wages in 2015 and 2016

he pocketed 8.5 million for last season, he can make 9.5 million next season, and 8 million in 2016

looks to me like a deal set up to play out until he runs out of gas and we cut him

Joemailman
02-08-2015, 12:28 PM
why would TT or peppers redo his contract after just the first year of a 3 year deal?

peppers signed the deal with a very cap friendly first year, and took a big paycut to do it, knowing if he played well, he would make his normal wages in 2015 and 2016

he pocketed 8.5 million for last season, he can make 9.5 million next season, and 8 million in 2016

looks to me like a deal set up to play out until he runs out of gas and we cut him

There was talk from the time he signed that contract that it would have to be re-negotiated if the packers kept him past 2014. McGinn had this to say recently about Peppers:

The assumption is that the two sides will restructure the final two years of his contract and he'll return in 2015.

I think the Packers would like to lower his cap number in 2015 because of the big name FA's they need to sign (Cobb/Bulaga/Williams). The guys they will need to sign in 2016 don't carry as high a price tag.

Patler
02-08-2015, 12:47 PM

I agree. I've never quite understood those who insist Peppers won't be back this year under the existing terms. He probably played better than the Packers expected. He got $8.5M cash last year in salary and signing bonus. This year he gets $9.5 M in new cash. He's playing for the cash he gets. The cap hits are simply accounting gyrations.

Why would he play for significantly less new money this year than he got last year? Why would the Packers expect him to? He filled a missing component for them on defense.

Patler
02-08-2015, 01:04 PM
About the only way I could see them doing anything to gain significant cap space is to add phantom years to the end of the contract. In effect, push cap dollars to a year they know he will be retired, or gone. That's really not the Packers' way of doing things.

The cap impact is not a primary concern for the players. Peppers received $8.5 M to play last year. Does McGinn think he will or should play for significantly less than that this year? The Packers could have structured his relatively short contract with little bonus and substantially equal salaries each year. From Peppers perspective, that is what it is. His incomes for the three years are $8.5M, $9.5M and $8.M. Apparently the Packers wanted some cap relief in 2014, so a big part of his income last year was in the form of a signing bonus.

woodbuck27
02-08-2015, 02:19 PM
TT will release Jones and Hawk, saving 7 million. Although I don't expect TT to be very active this year in FA other than signing his own guys, ILB is one position where he might try to make a deal. If he releases Hawk and Jones, Barrington is the only experienced guy he really has. Carl Bradford and Nate Palmer will get a look, but they haven't played the position in a regular season game. As for the draft, Eric Kendricks is likely the only ILB that TT would consider on the 1st round. Perryman and McKinney don't have the coverage skills to go that early.

As for Peppers, I see TT working on a new contract to lower the cap hit from 12 million to 7-8 million. That, along with the release of Jones and Hawk would give TT about 34 million of cap space to work with.

" I don't expect TT to be very active this year in FA other than signing his own guys..." Joemailman

That's likely true.

red
02-08-2015, 05:12 PM
i wouldn't mind a high draft pick spent on a guy, AND he big name free agent signing

unfortunately, there doesn't look like either is an option

maybe a trade? why not send our first for a stud , pro bowl ILB?

red
02-08-2015, 05:22 PM
hey pb, and chance you could copy and paste the PFF rankings for 3-4 ILBs in the GC so we can look at the guys who might be out there?

smuggler
02-08-2015, 11:55 PM
This might be the year to trade up in the first or trade up in the 2nd.

Joemailman
02-09-2015, 06:10 AM
This might be the year to trade up in the first or trade up in the 2nd.

Or trade out of the 1st into the early 2nd and pick up an extra later pick. TT did that in 2008 to take Jordy Nelson.

pbmax
02-09-2015, 08:26 AM
hey pb, and chance you could copy and paste the PFF rankings for 3-4 ILBs in the GC so we can look at the guys who might be out there?

Don't have PFF, that might be Bretsky or Yoop. I can look at Packer Report and see if Scout.com does it.

We talking draft or FA?

red
02-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Don't have PFF, that might be Bretsky or Yoop. I can look at Packer Report and see if Scout.com does it.

We talking draft or FA?

FA, or all ILBs in the nfl, so we can see where the free agents rank

i thought you had PFF

Upnorth
02-09-2015, 11:12 AM
The way it looks to me is trade out of 1st. No real TT like fa out there (read under valued) I am concerned about TT ilb draft history.

woodbuck27
02-09-2015, 11:20 AM
The way it looks to me is trade out of 1st. No real TT like fa out there (read under valued) I am concerned about TT ilb draft history.

I'm starting to look at that possible move by TT too.

Some mocks have us going at #30 with DT Malcolm Brown .... Jr Fr. TEXAS.. . . . 6' - 4 " and 320 lbs

3irty1
02-09-2015, 11:45 AM
I think its a mistake to count Barrington as a starter next year. We need a pair of guys and they should definitely come from the draft. MLB is a relatively low learning curve or just translates well from the college game. Rookies at MLB and at RB tend to be almost as good as they're going to get right off the bat. With all the uncertainty at the position it might be worth hanging on to Hawk a bit longer. As shitty as he is his availability has been the best on the team.

woodbuck27
02-09-2015, 12:51 PM
I think its a mistake to count Barrington as a starter next year. We need a pair of guys and they should definitely come from the draft. MLB is a relatively low learning curve or just translates well from the college game. Rookies at MLB and at RB tend to be almost as good as they're going to get right off the bat. With all the uncertainty at the position it might be worth hanging on to Hawk a bit longer. As shitty as he is his availability has been the best on the team.

Ted Thompson without change for 2015 will spend:

Approx. $10.45 M$ for 3 ILB's or 6.57% of the CAP.

The cost for 5 CB's = $ 10.71 M$ or 7.15 % of CAP.

The cost for 3 Safetys = $7.67 M$ or 5.12 % of CAP.

AJ Hawk's CAP hit for 2015 = $5.1M$ and Dead Money @ $1.6M$. Potential saving if cut = $3.5 M$

AJ Hawk wasn't unproductive as Brad Jones was last season and had a total of 94 tackles and .5 SACK and 2PD and 1 STF.

Specifically on Brad Jones:

Brad Jones Cap hit is $4.75 M$ and Dead Money @ $1.0 M$. Potential saving if cut = $3.75M$

His production in 2014 was < half of Sam Barrington's and to cut him should be an easy decision.

TT may have to simply move on from both AJ Hawk and Brad Jones. Use the savings to hang onto Randall Cobb, Bryan Bulaga and Tramon Williams. TT's hand may be forced here.

ie ...Cut both Hawk and Brad Jones and save $7.25 M$ = the possible restructured cost for CB Tramon Williams.

pbmax
02-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Pos PRank Rating Name Type Yr Ht/Wt College 2013 Team Signed Team
MLB 1 Karlos Dansby UFA 10 -/- Auburn Arizona Cleveland
MLB 2 Brandon Spikes UFA 4 6-5/250 Florida New England Buffalo
MLB 3 Donald Butler UFA 4 6-1/235 Wash San Diego San Diego
MLB 4 Vincent Rey RFA 3 -/- Duke Cincinnati Cincinnati
MLB 5 Daryl Smith UFA 10 -/- GaTech Baltimore Baltimore
MLB 6 D'Qwell Jackson UFA 8 6-0/240 Maryland Cleveland Indianapolis
MLB 7 Akeem Jordan UFA 7 -/- James Madison Kansas City
MLB 8 Jameel McClain UFA 6 6-1/250 Syracuse Baltimore NY Giants
MLB 9 Perry Riley UFA 3 -/- LSU Washington Washington
MLB 10 Joe Mays UFA 6 -/- North Dakota St Denver Kansas City
MLB 11 Arthur Moats UFA 4 -/- James Madison Buffalo Pittsburgh
MLB 12 Joe Mays UFA 6 -/- North Dakota St Denver
MLB 13 Kavell Conner UFA 4 -/- Clemson Indianapolis San Diego
MLB 14 Wesley Woodyard UFA 6 6-1/230 Kentucky Denver Tennessee
MLB 15 Jon Beason UFA 7 -/- Miami (FL) NY Giants NY Giants
MLB 16 Darryl Sharpton UFA 4 -/- Miami (FL) Houston Washington
MLB 17 Pat Angerer UFA 4 -/- Iowa Indianapolis
MLB 18 Dane Fletcher UFA 4 6-2/244 Montana State New England Tampa Bay
MLB 19 D.J. Williams UFA 10 6-1/242 Miami (FL) Chicago Chicago
MLB 20 Jasper Brinkley UFA 5 -/- South Carolina Arizona Minnesota
MLB NR NR Nick Barnett UFA 11 -/- Oregon State Washington
MLB NR NR Nick Bellore RFA 3 6-1/250 Cent Michigan NY Jets
MLB NR NR Bront Bird RFA 3 6-4/250 Texas Tech San Diego
MLB NR NR Desmond Bishop UFA 7 6-2/238 California Minnesota
MLB NR NR Stewart Bradley UFA 7 -/- Nebraska Denver
MLB NR NR Dan Connor UFA 6 -/- Penn State Carolina
MLB NR NR Blake Costanzo UFA 6 6-1/235 Lafayette Chicago
MLB NR NR Jacob Cutrera UFA 4 -/- LSU Tampa Bay
MLB NR NR Zac Diles UFA 7 -/- Kansas State Tennessee
MLB NR NR London Fletcher UFA 16 5-10/258 John Carroll Washington
MLB NR NR Larry Foote UFA 12 6-1/239 Michigan Pittsburgh
MLB NR NR Rob Francois UFA 4 6-2/255 Boston College Green Bay
MLB NR NR Mark Herzlich RFA 3 -/- Boston College NY Giants
MLB NR NR Justin Hickman RFA 3 6-2/258 UCLA Indianapolis Indianapolis
MLB NR NR Ramon Humber UFA 5 5-11/232 North Dakota St New Orleans New Orleans
MLB NR NR Bryan Kehl UFA 6 6-2/244 BYU Washington
MLB NR NR J Lattimore RFA 3 6-2/230 Mid Tenn State Green Bay Green Bay
MLB NR NR Paris Lenon UFA 12 -/- Richmond Denver
MLB NR NR Scott Lutrus RFA 3 6-2/241 Connecticut Indianapolis
MLB NR NR A McClellan RFA 4 6-2/255 Marshall Baltimore Baltimore
MLB NR NR Austin Spitler UFA 4 6-2/250 Ohio State Miami
MLB NR NR S Sylvester UFA 4 6-2/231 Utah Pittsburgh
MLB NR NR Jonathan Vilma UFA 10 6-1/230 Miami (FL) New Orleans
MLB NR NR Reggie Walker UFA 5 6-0/244 Kansas State San Diego San Diego
MLB NR NR W Witherspoon UFA 12 -/- Georgia St. Louis

call_me_ishmael
02-10-2015, 10:25 AM
On WSSP, they said that in an interview Peppers acknowledged that he'd have to redo his contract and that he'd be back this year.

smuggler
02-10-2015, 11:57 AM
That would be awesome, ish!!

Ballboy
02-10-2015, 03:58 PM
I am not so sure TWill hasn't played his last game in GB unless he signs for less and I don't think he will. We drafted Hayward/House and I can see TT giving one or both a shot at starting, then drafting a DB for dime defense. The glaring hole in D is at ILB, and I think dropping Hawk & Jones is the right thing to do, regardless of who we have back as evident by whom was playing at the end of the year. Packers see even a sometimes bad Barrington as better than Hawk/Jones.

If TT can hold out late in FA for a ILB ala Charles Woodson in his career that's about the only FA pick up I see.

Has Raji played his last year...or will it be another one year deal at a good price?

pbmax
02-10-2015, 04:19 PM
House does not seem like a sure thing but the team seems to trust him. The reason Tramontana might return for a reduced price is that neither Hayward or Hyde seem ready to be outside corners.

mraynrand
02-10-2015, 04:34 PM
neither Hayward or Hyde seem ready to be outside corners.

tru dat. But they might not get a reduced price on Twill. I'm betting they roll the dice on being able to pick up another outside corner in draft or rookie FA.

pbmax
02-10-2015, 05:16 PM
tru dat. But they might not get a reduced price on Twill. I'm betting they roll the dice on being able to pick up another outside corner in draft or rookie FA.

Some of the mocks seem to be betting on this.

red
02-10-2015, 06:43 PM

well unless he takes a decent pay cut, he's not worth bringing back IMO

he needs to be closer to the 6 million a year range, not 8.5-9.5 a year

Ballboy
02-11-2015, 11:48 AM
If you look at the ages of the players we have that are up....Cobb, Bulaga and Twill; then throw in House....I think TWill is on the wrong side of 30.

He could be just the Odd Man Out.

woodbuck27
02-11-2015, 11:58 AM
I won't be surprized if Tamone Williams doesn't test the market.

I'll make a prediction:

TT will make him a fair offer and TW will see if he can't get more.

Joemailman
02-11-2015, 11:58 AM
well unless he takes a decent pay cut, he's not worth bringing back IMO

he needs to be closer to the 6 million a year range, not 8.5-9.5 a year

No question. A contract of 6 million per year would still put Tramon in the 15-20 range as far as biggest contracts by cornerbacks. He did give up 8 TD passes this year, so I'm not sure he's be rated any high than that.

Deputy Nutz
02-11-2015, 06:34 PM
Right now there are no ILB with a first round grade. McKinney from Mississippi St. has some ability but isn't highly thought of as a first rounder, but things change with the combine and work outs. The Draft or I should say pre-draft babble is just that babble. Thompson is full of shit when he says he takes best available, he looks at best available need position. needs are at NT, ILB, CB, TE, WR.

wist43
02-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Not sure it matters that much what Ted does personnel-wise... dunderdummy is still our DC - tough to overcome that.

We've had enough pieces on defense the last 2 years to make a serious run both years, and dunderdummy screwed us this year, and tortured us all of 2013 - he's such a liability that I don't think we can overcome his presence no matter what we do with the personnel.

That said, I think Barrington is a keeper - he showed enough to be pencilled in as the starter at one spot. We definitely need an infusion of youth and talent with a new starter and depth. Hawk and Jones need to go...

In the end, I doubt TT will do much in FA, and the draft is always a crapshoot - if a decent ILB isn't there early, we'll be stuck with throwing spitballs at 7th rounders again.

Think we keep Hawk, and it will be the same turtle approach from Ted. Same ol', same ol'... dunderdummy will invent new ways to embarrass us in the playoffs :(

Bossman641
02-20-2015, 12:54 PM
So apparently Hawk had injury issues during the year, which Rodgers hinted at a few times. I wonder if Hawk would be agreeable to taking a pay cut to be a backup. I can't imagine any teams wanting him as a starter at this point.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12352925/aj-hawk-green-bay-packers-had-ankle-surgery-remove-bone-spurs

Smidgeon
02-20-2015, 02:19 PM
I've heard of bone spurs before but know not how they affect someone.

Patler
02-20-2015, 03:22 PM
I've heard of bone spurs before but know not how they affect someone.

A bony growth that, can rub on tendons or muscles making it very painful to move at a joint. This could explain his lumbering gait and noticeable loss of speed and quickness this year.

gbgary
02-20-2015, 03:29 PM
brad jones released

Patler
02-20-2015, 03:34 PM
That's not a surprise.

I think Hawk stays, at least until camp.

Tony Oday
02-20-2015, 03:47 PM
Not sure it matters that much what Ted does personnel-wise... dunderdummy is still our DC - tough to overcome that.

We've had enough pieces on defense the last 2 years to make a serious run both years, and dunderdummy screwed us this year, and tortured us all of 2013 - he's such a liability that I don't think we can overcome his presence no matter what we do with the personnel.

That said, I think Barrington is a keeper - he showed enough to be pencilled in as the starter at one spot. We definitely need an infusion of youth and talent with a new starter and depth. Hawk and Jones need to go...

In the end, I doubt TT will do much in FA, and the draft is always a crapshoot - if a decent ILB isn't there early, we'll be stuck with throwing spitballs at 7th rounders again.

Think we keep Hawk, and it will be the same turtle approach from Ted. Same ol', same ol'... dunderdummy will invent new ways to embarrass us in the playoffs :(

Bullshit. Bostick follows the play and the Packers are in the Super Bowl and would have crushed the Patriots. Capers brought the D around towards the end, your hate clouds your vision.

mraynrand
02-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Bullshit. Bostick follows the play and the Packers are in the Super Bowl and would have crushed the Patriots. Capers brought the D around towards the end, your hate clouds your vision.

I feel the conflict within you; let go of your hate

mraynrand
02-20-2015, 04:27 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/LQx7NoYAJIozS/giphy-facebook_s.jpg
You CANNOT TRUST DUNDERDUMMY. EVER!

Smidgeon
02-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Feels appropriate:

New Hope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ezeYJUz-84

Empire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjsFAZWnA00

red
02-20-2015, 06:23 PM
A bony growth that, can rub on tendons or muscles making it very painful to move at a joint. This could explain his lumbering gait and noticeable loss of speed and quickness this year.

i was thinking about hawk the other day, didn't he lose a bunch of weight before this year or last year, so he could be quicker?

to see him moving so slowly this year, something had to be wrong, he's not old enough to be looking like ray nitschke hobbling down the field returning an int with two bad legs

Joemailman
02-20-2015, 06:34 PM
That's not a surprise.

I think Hawk stays, at least until camp.

Yes, they may want to wait and see if Carl Bradford and Nate Palmer look in the OTA's and minicamp like they have the instincts to play inside. Palmer is almost completely off the radar, but there were some good reports about him at ILB in camp before he hurt his knee. At 6-2, 248 he has prototypical size. He was not invited to the Combine in 2013, but the 40 and 3 cone times he put up at his Pro Day (4.7/6.98) would have been 5th and 1st among ILB's at the Combine.

Patler
02-20-2015, 10:48 PM
If they stay true to form, they won't draft either of these guys:

Meet the linebackers: A day after coach Mike McCarthy more or less said inside linebacker is the Packers' greatest need this offseason, two of the top inside linebackers in the draft -- Missississppi State's Benardrick McKinney and Miami's Denzel Perryman -- both confirmed they have formal interviews scheduled with the Packers during the combine. The Packers began their overhaul at the position by releasing veteran Brad Jones on Friday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/18803/four-things-we-learned-at-the-combine-packers

pbmax
02-21-2015, 08:02 AM
i was thinking about hawk the other day, didn't he lose a bunch of weight before this year or last year, so he could be quicker?

to see him moving so slowly this year, something had to be wrong, he's not old enough to be looking like ray nitschke hobbling down the field returning an int with two bad legs

Yeah, one of the articles mentions specifically he lost weight to take pressure of his leg.

And I always find this kind of decision curious. He clearly wasn't among the 53 best this year. Why didn't they sit his butt down on IR-DTR and have the surgery?

Patler
02-21-2015, 08:30 AM
Yeah, one of the articles mentions specifically he lost weight to take pressure of his leg.

And I always find this kind of decision curious. He clearly wasn't among the 53 best this year. Why didn't they sit his butt down on IR-DTR and have the surgery?

IR-DTR wasn't really an option after Tretter got hurt. They needed to use that for him, since they had no idea how Linsley would handle it at center. If there was a chance that Hawk could play through it, he needed to try at that point.

But, ....Why didn't he get it fixed last off season, instead of choosing to just lose weight? One article indicated he has been dealing with this a couple years, but it has been getting worse. Are there risks to the surgery that we are unaware of?

pbmax
02-21-2015, 09:59 AM
IR-DTR wasn't really an option after Tretter got hurt. They needed to use that for him, since they had no idea how Linsley would handle it at center. If there was a chance that Hawk could play through it, he needed to try at that point.

But, ....Why didn't he get it fixed last off season, instead of choosing to just lose weight? One article indicated he has been dealing with this a couple years, but it has been getting worse. Are there risks to the surgery that we are unaware of?

Assuming he lost the weight in the offseason, he had to know before camp there was a problem. He could have chosen surgery at almost any time, including before Tretter's injury. After that it wasn't an option, but he has a lot of time and choices before that.

Patler
02-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Assuming he lost the weight in the offseason, he had to know before camp there was a problem. He could have chosen surgery at almost any time, including before Tretter's injury. After that it wasn't an option, but he has a lot of time and choices before that.

That was my point; why didn't he fix it last off season? It seems he knew about it. Had he chosen surgery at any point before Tretter's injury, and Hawks prognosis was really 6 weeks as they are saying now, my guess is that Tretter would still have gotten the IR-DTR when the season started, and they would have carried Hawk on the 53 for the month to six weeks he would have needed.

vince
02-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Surgery or no surgery, Hawk is too slow and unimpactful to pay what he's making. He's been rode hard for a long time. Time to put him to pasture and bring in a couple badasses who can play. If it has to be a couple rookies that'd work too. Not ideal but the only risk I see in hanging onto Hawk is him being on the field again next year. No risk in bringing him into camp I guess but he can't keep you from signing Cobb or Bulaga.

I could see Hawk getting cut or renegotiating before camp. I wouldn't complain a bit if it was because Ted needs the money to sign his replacement.

vince
02-21-2015, 07:02 PM
My fantasy scenario would be signing Rolando McClain and drafting Denzel Perryman. This dude knows how to tackle. I think he's quicker and more instinctive than some scouts will give him credit for.

Badass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTS9L_wODNU

Scouting Report from Walter Football (http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015dperryman.php)

Strengths:
Instinctive
Extremely physical
Fabulous run-defender
Takes on blocks extremely well
Adept at shedding blocks
Excellent tackler
Quick, covers a lot of ground
Enough quickness to defend perimeter runs
Play recognition
Intelligence
Hard hitter
Takes on blocks
Can shed blocks
Gets depth in his pass drops
Aggressive attitude
Blitzing ability
Explosive
Good open-field tackling
Made some plays in pass coverage
Scheme versatility

Weaknesses:
Lacks elite speed
Lacks length
Short
Could be limited in pass coverage

Summary: Before the NFL became a league that was passing based, middle linebackers like Perryman were a prime commodity to build a defense around. With the league trending toward the aerial offense, middle linebackers have been downgraded in their emphasis in the NFL draft. Still, quality middle linebackers are a critical ingredient to any good defense and there are plenty of teams interested in drafting Perryman early in the 2015 NFL Draft.

Perryman steadily improved over the past three season as a tough defender for the Hurricanes. He notched 64 tackles with six tackles for a loss, two passes broken up, one forced fumble and an interception returned 41 yards for a touchdown in 2012. Perryman took his game to another level as a junior with 108 tackles with five tackles for a loss, one sack and three passes broken up in 2013. He considered entering the 2014 NFL Draft, but decided to return to school.

2014 was Perryman's best season with 110 tackles with 9.5 for a loss, three forced fumbles, two sacks, five passes broken up and one interception. He had a big impact in a number of games and showed an improved ability to play the pass.

For the NFL, Perryman looks like a three-down starting middle linebacker. He is a tough run-defender who is a force in the tackle box. Perryman takes on blocks well and is quick to read his keys. He has good instincts and uses them to limit runs. Perry is also a good tackler and a very physical defender. He will tackle backs with violence and plays with a mean streak. While Perryman doesn't have elite speed, he is quick enough to get to runs on the perimeter.

Perryman might not have the skill set to be a pass-defender who can cover in man like some elite middle linebackers in the NFL, Luke Kuechly for example. Still, Perryman does well to read the eyes of quarterbacks and disrupt passing lanes. He moves well in zone and picks up targets in his area. Perryman doesn't have great length, fluidity or is extreme speed. Thus, he is somewhat limited in pass coverage. However, Perryman could improve with NFL coaching.

Perryman also is a leader. He commands the defense and provides a real presence with his physicality. Sources say that Perryman could go late in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft and shouldn't get out of the second round.

smuggler
02-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Perryman is a leader. I like him. Not sure if he's one of the 30 best players in the draft, though...

red
02-21-2015, 10:13 PM
the big problem with perryman is that he is not 6'1 like the video says, he's 5'11

is that tall enough?

we had that high motor short ILB a couple years ago that we let walk even though some of us wanted him to get a real shot. he was too short, at about the same height as perryman

vince
02-21-2015, 10:34 PM
the big problem with perryman is that he is not 6'1 like the video says, he's 5'11

is that tall enough?

we had that high motor short ILB a couple years ago that we let walk even though some of us wanted him to get a real shot. he was too short, at about the same height as perryman
What the hell was that guy's name? He was closer to 5'9 than 5'11" I'd say. I remember him from watching training camps up close and in person. Ol' whatshisname was clearly the shortest guy on the team back then. He almost looked like a midget out there.

Plus, the short 6th round pick who moved around the league trying to stay on a roster didn't play like Denzel Perryman. If he can tackle Marshawn Lynch like he does in his highlight reel then I think 5'11" is tall enough.

smuggler
02-21-2015, 10:47 PM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=81533&draftyear=2011&genpos=olb

5'10" 5/8

He was limited athletically, and then suffered a nasty knee injury on a dirty block. The dumb thing was that the Texans had Cushing knocked out for the season the week before and bitched something fierce about how the crackback blocks were dirty. Then the very next week, Duane Brown fucked up DJ's knee in the exact same fashion.

In a little more than 5 games in 2012, DJ Smith had two sacks, three stuffs, four passes defensed. He was very productive. He just couldn't pass his physical with us after the knee injury.

red
02-22-2015, 02:38 PM
i missed almost all of the LBer workouts today, but i cringed when mayock closed out the group by saying he was really disappointed by the lack of athleticism by the group

the group that had all the guys we're looking at for the middle of our defense

not good

btw, perryman looked short, fat and slow

Carolina_Packer
02-22-2015, 03:08 PM
I enjoy reading the lists of sleeper picks: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2342022-nfl-draft-2015-identifying-the-biggest-sleeper-at-every-position/page/12 Check out the write up on Zach Vigil and look up some Youtube on this kid. Seems very instinctive, and will likely be overlooked. If you could get him late or undrafted, I think that would be a nice pickup.

Joemailman
02-22-2015, 04:52 PM
i missed almost all of the LBer workouts today, but i cringed when mayock closed out the group by saying he was really disappointed by the lack of athleticism by the group

the group that had all the guys we're looking at for the middle of our defense

not good

btw, perryman looked short, fat and slow

I doubt that TT has a 1st round grade on any ILB. That's okay though. You can get good ILB's later. Desmond Bishop was a 6th round pick. Sam Barrington was a 7th round pick.

vince
02-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Somewhere, somehow, Ted needs someone to plug into the starting lineup day 1. It's probably too much to expect two new guys right away but they could use that too IMO.

Choosing two among Barrington, Lattimore, Hawk, another low-round draft pick, Palmer and Bradford isn't exactly an embarrassment of riches there.

red
02-22-2015, 06:08 PM
Somewhere, somehow, Ted needs someone to plug into the starting lineup day 1. It's probably too much to expect two new guys right away but they could use that too IMO.

Choosing two among Barrington, Lattimore, Hawk, another low-round draft pick, Palmer and Bradford isn't exactly an embarrassment of riches there.

i agree, we need to find someone new to start day 1, and i don't know if that guys in the draft, and i don't know if he's a free agent right now

right now our starters for next year are barrington and hawk

yuck

i say trade the first round pick for a decent starter ILB, if there is one (i have no clue who that player is, but we need him bad)

smuggler
02-22-2015, 06:14 PM
As long as rook is ready by playoff time.

red
02-22-2015, 07:17 PM
That was my point; why didn't he fix it last off season? It seems he knew about it. Had he chosen surgery at any point before Tretter's injury, and Hawks prognosis was really 6 weeks as they are saying now, my guess is that Tretter would still have gotten the IR-DTR when the season started, and they would have carried Hawk on the 53 for the month to six weeks he would have needed.

is hawk one of those "natural healers"? we know he use to sleep in the hyperbolic chamber, he always struck me as a "holistic healer" type of guy

do we know of any previous surgeries he's ever had?

i can tell you first hand, ankle injuries can slow you waaaaaay down

smuggler
02-22-2015, 09:50 PM
He's never had a surgery to my knowledge. At one point early in his career it was mentioned that he had never dealt with injuries in his playing history and that was his biggest challenge in transferring to the pro game.

wist43
02-22-2015, 11:03 PM

Well, Bostick didn't make the play, and Capers managed to fart the game away... granted he got a lot of help, but that doesn't let Capers off the hook.

He can't be trusted... it's why he's gotten fired everywhere he's been - except here of course. He'll be allowed to go on torpedoing season after season as long as he wants. TT and MM will never hold him accountable. Why some of you guys endlessly defend the guy is beyond me.

mraynrand
02-23-2015, 07:09 AM
Well, Bostick didn't make the play, and Capers managed to fart the game away... granted he got a lot of help, but that doesn't let Capers off the hook.

He can't be trusted... it's why he's gotten fired everywhere he's been - except here of course. He'll be allowed to go on torpedoing season after season as long as he wants. TT and MM will never hold him accountable. Why some of you guys endlessly defend the guy is beyond me.

Doesn't seem like it based on off-season moves.

red
02-25-2015, 04:43 PM
i'm starting to think that moving clay inside full time is the best move

we have enough talent at OLB, and the draft is full of OLB prospects

we WILL NOT find a talent like clay, or get anywhere close to that level, for ILB in this draft, and free agency doesn't have much either

Joemailman
02-25-2015, 05:37 PM
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/

Staying with the Pack, I’m told they are very high on Stephone Anthony, who would fill a need at inside linebacker. Anthony had 16 official visits at the combine and the first team he met with was Green Bay. I was informed Anthony is a favorite of defensive coordinator Dom Capers.

Cheesehead Craig
02-25-2015, 09:37 PM
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/
Staying with the Pack, I’m told they are very high on Stephone Anthony, who would fill a need at inside linebacker. Anthony had 16 official visits at the combine and the first team he met with was Green Bay. I was informed Anthony is a favorite of defensive coordinator Dom Capers.

Ah shit, that means he's unsound.

red
03-04-2015, 05:07 PM
49ers are trying to Michael Wilhoite for a 6th or 7th round pick

guy started every game this year, had 87 tackles, 6 passes defended and 2 ints

anyone watch him at all?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/04/report-49ers-offering-lb-michael-wilhoite-in-trade/

seems to be able to do the one thing none of our ILB's have been able to do, cover people

Bossman641
03-04-2015, 06:32 PM
Something tells me he will end up with the Bears

wpony
03-06-2015, 12:31 PM
He sounds really interesting and he was only making a little under 600,000 a yr so he might be signable with out breaking the bank sounds like the kind of player TT loves if hes not good enough to start would make a good backup

Carolina_Packer
03-06-2015, 10:11 PM
49ers are trying to Michael Wilhoite for a 6th or 7th round pick

guy started every game this year, had 87 tackles, 6 passes defended and 2 ints

anyone watch him at all?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/04/report-49ers-offering-lb-michael-wilhoite-in-trade/

seems to be able to do the one thing none of our ILB's have been able to do, cover people

Could be like a Brandon Chillar type in terms of low risk, possible productive reward. Chillar didn't turn out to be much, but the Packers didn't invest a lot in him.

Carolina_Packer
03-06-2015, 10:23 PM
Something tells me this Zach Vigil, ILB out of Utah Sate will have a good chance at making a team. What do you think of him?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/zach-vigil?id=2552324

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvE7Lsac7s4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOgnR5hzzIg

He's projected to be an ILB in a 3-4. He could be a late round, priority free agent to keep an eye on.

Bretsky
03-07-2015, 12:45 AM
Something tells me this Zach Vigil, ILB out of Utah Sate will have a good chance at making a team. What do you think of him?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/zach-vigil?id=2552324

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvE7Lsac7s4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOgnR5hzzIg

He's projected to be an ILB in a 3-4. He could be a late round, priority free agent to keep an eye on.

We should really draft a smash mouth football player...Chris Borland comes to mind
Wait...Dammit...that was last year

mraynrand
03-07-2015, 08:29 AM
Packers just need to draft all Badgers - then maybe they can have playoff games that look like the Big Ten Championship.

pbmax
03-07-2015, 08:37 AM
He's a candidate for the dime linebacker spot now that Jones is gone.

red
03-07-2015, 04:42 PM
dolphins just released Dannell Ellerbe

he was hurt almost all of last year, but in 2013 had 101 tackles a sack and 2 ints playing MLB

anyone seen him play? he use to be a raven. miami signed him in 2013 to a 5 year 35 million

he's 29

mraynrand
03-07-2015, 10:19 PM

I wouldn't stay up late praying for him to play well.

smuggler
03-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Heh, mraynrand....

Carolina_Packer
03-07-2015, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't stay up late praying for him to play well.

Well, nobody's Burfict.

Carolina_Packer
03-13-2015, 04:00 PM
Now that the dust is settling on the free agency frenzy, do you see anyone from this list that looks interesting enough to consider for help at ILB?

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#position=LB

If he's healthy, and available talent being equal, should the Packers consider bringing Jamari Lattimore back? It would be for depth.

Joemailman
03-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Now that the dust is settling on the free agency frenzy, do you see anyone from this list that looks interesting enough to consider for help at ILB?

If he's healthy, and available talent being equal, should the Packers consider bringing Jamari Lattimore back? It would be for depth.

I don't think Lattimore has the instincts to play inside. In the wrong gap too often. Bradford and Palmer will be given the chance to show they can play inside. TT will probably draft at least 1. Matthews will probably play inside quite a bit. It will be a position with a lot of question marks.

red
03-13-2015, 04:55 PM

ick, nothing there

wist43
03-13-2015, 09:12 PM
dolphins just released Dannell Ellerbe

he was hurt almost all of last year, but in 2013 had 101 tackles a sack and 2 ints playing MLB

anyone seen him play? he use to be a raven. miami signed him in 2013 to a 5 year 35 million

he's 29

I like Ellerbe. When I've watched Raven games, he flashed quite a bit. Good athlete; had been pretty instinctive in Baltimore; don't really know what his full issues were with the Dolphins - injuries of course, but did he underperform when he was on the field?? I didn't follow him in Miami.

He played pretty well for the Ravens. Is Miami running a defense substantially different than Balt.?? Was he asked to play a different style/responsibility that didn't fit his game??

Still, even not knowing all of his issues with the Dolphins, I liked him quite a bit when he was with the Ravens. If we got that player? I'd argue that is a huge upgrade over Hawk.

Carolina_Packer
03-13-2015, 10:17 PM
I like Ellerbe. When I've watched Raven games, he flashed quite a bit. Good athlete; had been pretty instinctive in Baltimore; don't really know what his full issues were with the Dolphins - injuries of course, but did he underperform when he was on the field?? I didn't follow him in Miami.

He played pretty well for the Ravens. Is Miami running a defense substantially different than Balt.?? Was he asked to play a different style/responsibility that didn't fit his game??

Still, even not knowing all of his issues with the Dolphins, I liked him quite a bit when he was with the Ravens. If we got that player? I'd argue that is a huge upgrade over Hawk.

Ellerbe was traded to the Saints today for Kenny Stills. Good thought though. I liked him in Baltimore too.

Maxie the Taxi
03-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Ellerbe was traded to the Saints today for Kenny Stills. Good thought though. I liked him in Baltimore too.

Good news for the Pack. Saints might now be one less competitor for ILB in the draft.

Fritz
03-14-2015, 11:21 AM
What will he do in the offseason?

So far, cut one starter and one backup who made a lot for being so shitty.

Now he needs to find a couple replacements. I'd like to see him draft one early, but knowing TT, he'll draft one in, say, the fifth round. Then sign four UFA's.

smuggler
03-14-2015, 11:39 AM
Good news for the Pack. Saints might now be one less competitor for ILB in the draft.

Might be true, but the chances of the Phins taking Kendricks seem to have taken a moderate bump...

Carolina_Packer
03-21-2015, 10:14 PM
I vote for Mason Foster. I think he could be had for a bargain, and if he fits in, he'll get another deal. He's only 26. That said, it would be interesting how he compares to Lattimore. You'd think if they liked Lattimore just as much, they'd stick with him. I think a decision like this is coming. I think they need someone who has played, instead of just relying on all the remaining competition to be guys who have little or no pro experience.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2011mfoster_greg.php