PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Montgomery headed to Packers' staff for TBD (Defensive?) Role

denverYooper
02-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Looks like Green Bay's defensive staff might be picking up at least one new coach.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-jerry-montgomery-leaving-sooners-for-green-bay-packers/article/5392369

Montgomery, who has coached Sooner defensive linemen the last two seasons, has accepted an NFL position, the school announced in a Tuesday afternoon news release.

Multiple sources confirmed to The Oklahoman that Montgomery has accepted a position on the Green Bay Packers’ staff.

pbmax
02-10-2015, 05:14 PM
Yep, this one was for red who M3 clearly saw was disappointed by the lack of staff changes on D.

One of the GBPG guys says there is no indication that any current staff are leaving.

He is from the Big 12, home of McCarthy buddy Kevin Sumlin. He would be very familiar with spread concepts that flourish inside the Big 12 on offense.

pbmax
02-10-2015, 05:20 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 6m6 minutes ago
Montgomery isn't replacing anybody on #Packers staff. Likely to be asst. DL coach. There's 2 coaches now with LBs and DBs.

Who is the second LB coach?

Smidgeon
02-10-2015, 05:46 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 6m6 minutes ago
Montgomery isn't replacing anybody on #Packers staff. Likely to be asst. DL coach. There's 2 coaches now with LBs and DBs.

Who is the second LB coach?

Didn't the D quality coach join Winston Moss after K Greene left?

KYPack
02-10-2015, 11:00 PM
Aren't we still short an OLB type coach.

That said, Moss seemed to work a little magic moving CMIII around.

red
02-10-2015, 11:12 PM
clearly m3 thinks we can fix the coaching problem by just adding more coaches to the mix

Joemailman
02-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Packers interviewed Badger DC Aranda before signing Montgomery. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/uw-defensive-coordinator-dave-aranda-interviewed-with-packers-b99443337z1-291566391.html Just wondering how the die-hard Badger fans would have felt if the Packers hired him away from the Badgers.

pbmax
02-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Packers interviewed Badger DC Aranda before signing Montgomery. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/uw-defensive-coordinator-dave-aranda-interviewed-with-packers-b99443337z1-291566391.html Just wondering how the die-hard Badger fans would have felt if the Packers hired him away from the Badgers.

Sad. He's done great work in two seasons.

pbmax
02-11-2015, 09:44 PM
Aren't we still short an OLB type coach.

That said, Moss seemed to work a little magic moving CMIII around.

Smidgeon nailed this one, this guy got promoted last offseason after KG left.

Scott McCurley - Assistant Linebackers

pbmax
02-11-2015, 10:10 PM
I am guessing they are doing a serious restructuring. Ted was involved in Aranda's interview according to Bob. Aranda seems WAY over-qualified to be a general assistant, and same can probably be said of Montgomery. I can't imagine Ted being involved in the hiring of a position Bob is describing as one step about Quality Control, which is entry level. Neither has coached in the NFL though.

Bob says the job interview came without a job description though, which is not usually a good thing.

A source told the Journal Sentinel that Aranda met with coach Mike McCarthy, defensive coordinator Dom Capers and general manager Ted Thompson, among others, during his daylong interview on Friday.

... snip ...

The Packers interviewed candidates last week without a defined job description, according to a source. The most logical position would be as an assistant coach on the defensive front seven or general defensive assistant.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/uw-defensive-coordinator-dave-aranda-interviewed-with-packers-b99443337z1-291566391.html

texaspackerbacker
02-11-2015, 10:38 PM
The thing this set of facts tells me is that the Packers LIKE the Capers style of Defense - scheming, trickery, etc. often compensating for inadquate personnel - as Aranda basically does the same for the Badgers. I don't know anything about Montgomery's way of doing things, but we can probably assume he has the same philosophy. My guess is the new guy will be groomed to take Capers' place in a few years when he retires. I heartily approve of this, although I, as a Badger fan, would have been very disappointed if we lost Aranda. Best case: Aranda told Ted he should DRAFT MELVIN GORDON.

pbmax
02-12-2015, 12:48 AM
The thing this set of facts tells me is that the Packers LIKE the Capers style of Defense - scheming, trickery, etc. often compensating for inadquate personnel - as Aranda basically does the same for the Badgers. I don't know anything about Montgomery's way of doing things, but we can probably assume he has the same philosophy. My guess is the new guy will be groomed to take Capers' place in a few years when he retires. I heartily approve of this, although I, as a Badger fan, would have been very disappointed if we lost Aranda. Best case: Aranda told Ted he should DRAFT MELVIN GORDON.

Or that they both come from backgrounds that run a 3-4 defense.

Patler
02-12-2015, 01:52 AM
My guess is the new guy will be groomed to take Capers' place in a few years when he retires.

That was my first impression. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Capers has told MM he will retire in a year or three; and that MM is looking to build in a ready replacement who knows the players and is versed in the current scheme so any transition is smooth.

Smidgeon
02-12-2015, 10:02 AM
That was my first impression. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Capers has told MM he will retire in a year or three; and that MM is looking to build in a ready replacement who knows the players and is versed in the current scheme so any transition is smooth.

No one on the current staff can do that? Or is the Montgomery hiring is more of a "hire the next bottom rung and then promote everyone up a step" sort of thing?

pbmax
02-12-2015, 10:39 AM
No one on the current staff can do that? Or is the Montgomery hiring is more of a "hire the next bottom rung and then promote everyone up a step" sort of thing?

It is a little weird, but the only guy on staff who is cut his teeth in Capers D is Perry. Thompson's involvement seems to mean something is going on more than usual.

Other than possibly forcing M3's hand on D coaches after 2008, he doesn't meddle too much.

pbmax
02-12-2015, 11:17 AM
Answers today at 12 Noon.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1h1 hour ago
#Packers HC Mike McCarthy will hold a press conference today at 12 p.m. CT. Watch it live on http://packers.com .

Smidgeon
02-12-2015, 12:41 PM
Defensive Front Assistant:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/12/packers-pass-out-a-bunch-of-new-titles-during-shakeup/

What does that mean? Makes it sound like Patler and tpb may be onto something.

EDIT:

Money quote: "Jerry Montgomery will primarily be working hand-in-hand with Dom Capers."

and:

"He's someone we've been looking at for a couple of years. These are types of decisions and things we're looking at long term."

LP
02-12-2015, 01:33 PM

If they're looking for a smooth transition, I hope the new guy has bad hair so as not to upset Wist's applecart too much.

mraynrand
02-12-2015, 02:04 PM
Jerry Montgomery:

http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/daredevil-born-again.jpg

DunderDummy reboot; the mask hides the spraypainthair. And the fact that DD is blind did not escape my notice.

mraynrand
02-12-2015, 02:10 PM
If they're looking for a smooth transition, I hope the new guy has bad hair so as not to upset Wist's applecart too much.

He probably negotiated a spray hair provision in his contract:

http://blog.iclick.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/hair-spray.gif

Or he get's Stubby's old sharpie
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/c6/d9/0a/c6d90aa152607922088a4ca1d19bfe16.jpg

Pugger
02-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Defensive Front Assistant:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/12/packers-pass-out-a-bunch-of-new-titles-during-shakeup/

What does that mean? Makes it sound like Patler and tpb may be onto something.

EDIT:

Money quote: "Jerry Montgomery will primarily be working hand-in-hand with Dom Capers."

and:

"He's someone we've been looking at for a couple of years. These are types of decisions and things we're looking at long term."

No doubt they are grooming Montgomery to be Capers' heir apparent.

Smidgeon
02-12-2015, 03:21 PM
I do not follow college football. Does anyone know anything about Montgomery besides what's being reported in relation to this hiring?

Maxie the Taxi
02-12-2015, 04:31 PM
I do not follow college football. Does anyone know anything about Montgomery besides what's being reported in relation to this hiring?

I do know that Montgomery coached Jordan Phillips for two years at Oklahoma. Phillips is a 6'6" 334 lbs. NT that may be there in the 1st Round for TT to draft. From his prospect profile:

Bottom Line Nose tackle with desired height, weight and speed. Flashes talent necessary to project a ceiling as a dominant run stuffer best suited for a 3-4 defense. Phillips' ability to eat up blocks should help him earn a high grade, but it's his potential as a big athlete with above-average range for the position that could turn him into a Pro Bowl nose.

However, the negatives on Phillips have to do with his "motor"--

Weaknesses Scouts consider him a flash player who can dominate a game but will disappear during stretches. Needs to play with better knee bend and lower pad level. Loses some leverage and becomes top-heavy wrestler at times. Not effective as pass rusher. Stalls out early and settles for looking to bat down passes. Doesn't crank up a consistent bull rush. Consistency of motor could be improved.

If anybody knows the "real" Phillips, it's Montgomery. He can bend TT's ear and save us from making a big mistake or encourage us to draft a future pro-bowler.

[Scouting profile from NFL Draft Tracker: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/jordan-phillips?id=2552492]

pbmax
02-12-2015, 04:48 PM
Its been reported about him before, though not today so much, that he is a rising Ast Coach for a very visible and well regarded college program.

He's working for Stoops who is a Defensive coach by training. He was named co-coordinator for this year. And he was named one of the 10 best recruiters in the nation this year by ESPN (think that was the source).

Capers, in M3's words, wanted someone to work "side by side" with. So that kind of adds fuel to the successor idea, however, this is a young coach who had not previously been a coordinator. So Capers might not be grooming his replacement. Not yet anyway.

woodbuck27
02-12-2015, 06:36 PM
I do know that Montgomery coached Jordan Phillips for two years at Oklahoma. Phillips is a 6'6" 334 lbs. NT that may be there in the 1st Round for TT to draft.

Edit

If anybody knows the "real" Phillips, it's Montgomery. He can bend TT's ear and save us from making a big mistake or encourage us to draft a future pro-bowler.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/jordan-phillips?id=2552492]

A discussion on DT Jordan Phillips began today ... Post # 156 of the OFFICIAL 2015 NFL DRAFT THREAD.

woodbuck27
02-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Its been reported about him before, though not today so much, that he is a rising Ast Coach for a very visible and well regarded college program.

He's working for Stoops who is a Defensive coach by training. He was named co-coordinator for this year. And he was named one of the 10 best recruiters in the nation this year by ESPN (think that was the source).

Capers, in M3's words, wanted someone to work "side by side" with. So that kind of adds fuel to the successor idea, however, this is a young coach who had not previously been a coordinator. So Capers might not be grooming his replacement. Not yet anyway.

http://newsok.com/article/5392648?slideout=1

How much will Oklahoma football miss Jerry Montgomery?

By: Berry Tramel Published: February 11, 2015

" This week, the Green Bay Packers took the best part of Bob Stoops’ car. Jerry Montgomery, the recruiting whiz who also coached up the OU defensive line to success, resigned to join the Packer staff. Stoops has lost the prize of his staff. "

" reports say Montgomery is going to Green Bay as * a quality control coach, which is not as prestigious as being on Stoops’ staff. So I don’t know. "

* Jerry Montgomery was officially named to the Green Bay Packers' staff Thursday as a defensive front assistant

Comment woodbuck27:

The Oklahoma Sooners hired Montgomery from Michigan two years ago. He turned the DL into one of the Big 12's best during the 2013 season.

The Sooners finished the year by overwhelming Alabama in the Allstate Sugar Bowl. Alabama QB AJ McCarron was sacked seven times.

Jerry Montgomery obviously has skills (including people skills) but are the Packers sure of his destination and their future?