PDA

View Full Version : Holy relic bought at goodwill for 58 cents

red
02-10-2015, 06:22 PM
A man in Tennessee bought a vintage West Point coaching jacket from his local Goodwill for 58 cents

upon closer inspection he found letters and numbers inside that spelled out Lombari-46

the man had had it authenticated and valued at $20,000, it is now up for auction

for those that don't know, ST. Vincent Thomas Lombardi (who many of us refer to as our lord and savior, or God) was an assistant coach at west point

i'm not sure what 46 means, it can't be the year because he wasn't at west point until 1948, maybe size?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/goodwill-shopper-unwittingly-buys--20-000-vince-lombardi-jacket-180718701.html

heres the live auction, for any rats with some spare money

http://sports.ha.com/itm/football/1949-53-vince-lombardi-game-worn-us-army-west-point-coaching-jacket-mears-authentic/a/7130-80088.s

Cheesehead Craig
02-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Thread whore.

Joemailman
02-11-2015, 09:58 AM
Holy Lombardi Relic Batman!

mraynrand
02-11-2015, 03:50 PM
I once dropped a 'holy relic' at goodwill. I bet it didn't net them 58 cents though.

Deputy Nutz
02-11-2015, 07:22 PM
They should burn it, Lombardi was a traitor and abandoned Green Bay for the bright lights of Washington D.C.

mraynrand
02-11-2015, 08:59 PM
They should burn it, Lombardi was a traitor and abandoned Green Bay for the bright lights of Washington D.C.

Doesn't this belong in the "Official Vince the dead Legend" thread?

Patler
02-12-2015, 02:29 AM

If Lombardi had spent a year bashing the Packers in both words and action, I might agree.
If Lombardi had actively tried to undermine the Packers, I might agree.
If Lombardi had shown himself to be a bit of a pervert, I might agree.

Instead, Lombardi left with class for a partial ownership opportunity that he could never have in GB. Many, many fans were upset and saddened, some may have felt a bit betrayed; but most understood.

Favre could have had the same; but he handled his departure much differently. Many, many sports figures have left their primary teams with great animosity toward the owners/management, but have avoided alienating the fans. Favre didn't even seem to try.

KYPack
02-12-2015, 10:02 AM
Yeah, Brent did things a little poorly.

But, Vince Lombardi, Curly Lambeau, & Paul Hornung all left the Pack for greener pastures.

So 4 is in some pretty good company.

BZnDallas
02-12-2015, 04:05 PM
If Lombardi had spent a year bashing the Packers in both words and action, I might agree.
If Lombardi had actively tried to undermine the Packers, I might agree.
If Lombardi had shown himself to be a bit of a pervert, I might agree.

Instead, Lombardi left with class for a partial ownership opportunity that he could never have in GB. Many, many fans were upset and saddened, some may have felt a bit betrayed; but most understood.

Favre could have had the same; but he handled his departure much differently. Many, many sports figures have left their primary teams with great animosity toward the owners/management, but have avoided alienating the fans. Favre didn't even seem to try.

THANKS TED

woodbuck27
02-12-2015, 07:35 PM
A man in Tennessee bought a vintage West Point coaching jacket from his local Goodwill for 58 cents

upon closer inspection he found letters and numbers inside that spelled out Lombari-46

i'm not sure what 46 means, it can't be the year because he wasn't at west point until 1948, maybe size?

" i'm not sure what 46 means, it can't be the year because he wasn't at west point until 1948, maybe size?" red

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1hEUp4qt0VbxnjawrsK8j9lYuxX78F EATxY58ZzlVzDpQy0on

Vince Lombardi played football at the guard position.

http://www.vincelombardi.com/images/gallery/vl04.jpg

He was a barrel chested man.

It's not inconceivable that he had a 46 inch chest size.

I looked for his vital stats and wasn't successful in my research.

Patler
02-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Yeah, Brent did things a little poorly.

But, Vince Lombardi, Curly Lambeau, & Paul Hornung all left the Pack for greener pastures.

So 4 is in some pretty good company.

I'm not sure you can call Hornung being picked in the expansion draft leaving "for greener pastures." :grin: He never played for the Saints, but even if he had, it wasn't a very green pasture.

Better examples might be Herb Adderley and Forrest Gregg, who both won a Super Bowl with the Cowboys.

I have no problem with Favre playing elsewhere if he wanted to continue his career. I don't respect many of the other things he did and a lot of what he said for several years.

Patler
02-13-2015, 12:04 AM
Why would anyone write the size next to their name?
I would think it might be a locker number, building number, room number or something like that more than his size or the year. You write your name in clothing for identification purposes. Anything else hand written would be for a similar purpose, identification and return.

woodbuck27
02-13-2015, 06:50 AM
I'm not sure you can call Hornung being picked in the expansion draft leaving "for greener pastures." :grin: He never played for the Saints, but even if he had, it wasn't a very green pasture.

Better examples might be Herb Adderley and Forrest Gregg, who both won a Super Bowl with the Cowboys.

I have no problem with Favre playing elsewhere if he wanted to continue his career. I don't respect many of the other things he did and a lot of what he said for several years.

" I don't respect many of the other things he did and a lot of what he said for several years. " Patler

He did things that disappointed me too Patler ( I also lost respect for Favre) but I've forgiven that.

It really came down to all he did that was good for the Green Bay Packers; to build up Packer Nation after such a long period of serious decline. To become the 'face of the NFL' for many years.

It was easy for me to forgive him because Favre wss truly unique/special in a great way.

Maybe? .... think about all the good/great memories. That may overcome the bad!?

sharpe1027
02-13-2015, 07:06 AM
Favre: Great player, immature person. /end topic

Anyone else doubt the authenticity? What if a Packer fan owned the jacket and wrote on it in the 60s?

Patler
02-13-2015, 09:11 AM
" I don't respect many of the other things he did and a lot of what he said for several years. " Patler

He did things that disappointed me too Patler ( I also lost respect for Favre) but I've forgiven that.

It really came down to all he did that was good for the Green Bay Packers; to build up Packer Nation after such a long period of serious decline. To become the 'face of the NFL' for many years.

It was easy for me to forgive him because Favre wss truly unique/special in a great way.

Maybe? .... think about all the good/great memories. That may overcome the bad!?

As much as he was a unifying figure for the Packers while he played there, he was a polarizing figure in the years after he left. His actions during that time gave me a more full and complete picture of the man. What ever the prevailing attitude of the "Packer Nation" was in the '70s and '80s, which Harlan, Wolf, Favre and others elevated, it paled in comparison to the venom that was created in the handling of Favre's departure. There was never a more uncomfortable time to be a Packer fan.

There is nothing for me to forgive, Favre did nothing to me. He is what he is. Like all of us, he is a mixture of good and bad. It's only the proportions of each that vary under differing conditions.

Unique or special people, as you referred to Favre, in my opinion, are no more deserving of forgiveness than common and ordinary people. People do not earn forgiveness from their previous good deeds. People earn forgiveness from what they do later. People who are contrite earn forgiveness. People who recognize the harm they've caused and try to correct it earn forgiveness. I have no idea if Favre even recognizes his mistakes, let alone regrets them. Forgiveness is for those he affected. That's not me. I simply try to see what he was and is. I hope to give him the opportunity to be what he will be, whether that is good or bad.

Deputy Nutz
02-13-2015, 09:52 AM
As much as he was a unifying figure for the Packers while he played there, he was a polarizing figure in the years after he left. His actions during that time gave me a more full and complete picture of the man. What ever the prevailing attitude of the "Packer Nation" was in the '70s and '80s, which Harlan, Wolf, Favre and others elevated, it paled in comparison to the venom that was created in the handling of Favre's departure. There was never a more uncomfortable time to be a Packer fan.

There is nothing for me to forgive, Favre did nothing to me. He is what he is. Like all of us, he is a mixture of good and bad. It's only the proportions of each that vary under differing conditions.

Unique or special people, as you referred to Favre, in my opinion, are no more deserving of forgiveness than common and ordinary people. People do not earn forgiveness from their previous good deeds. People earn forgiveness from what they do later. People who are contrite earn forgiveness. People who recognize the harm they've caused and try to correct it earn forgiveness. I have no idea if Favre even recognizes his mistakes, let alone regrets them. Forgiveness is for those he affected. That's not me. I simply try to see what he was and is. I hope to give him the opportunity to be what he will be, whether that is good or bad.

I am sure that Packer fans of the 60s were not real happy that Lombardi left the team for greener pastures. They probably thought it sucked, but Lombardi died very shortly afterwards so not many people can hold a grudge after that. Lombardi has the fricking Super Bowl trophy named after him, he is a source of pride for the Packers. So is Curly Lambeau, and he really had issues with the Packer and the city of Green Bay. It was a real love hate relationship. Favre should be a source of pride for the franchise, as well. His play on the field should be enough regardless of the messy divorce from the Packers. The dust has settled, why kick it back up again when we all should be treated to one of the great homecomings in Packer history.

I think we all need to just get over it. So the Packers lost a few fans and Favre lost a few fans in the matter. Does it really matter? Favre is one of the greatest if not the greatest player in the history of Green Bay and people really need to get over it, and let this feud die. It is really a huge black eye for the franchise and the history of the Green Bay Packers.

Deputy Nutz
02-13-2015, 09:55 AM
" i'm not sure what 46 means, it can't be the year because he wasn't at west point until 1948, maybe size?" red

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1hEUp4qt0VbxnjawrsK8j9lYuxX78F EATxY58ZzlVzDpQy0on

Vince Lombardi played football at the guard position.

http://www.vincelombardi.com/images/gallery/vl04.jpg

He was a barrel chested man.

It's not inconceivable that he had a 46 inch chest size.

I looked for his vital stats and wasn't successful in my research.

It could be his number, or something to do with being a cadet? I am a pretty barrel chested human and I at one time had a 56 inch chest, now I am a 54. So a 46 wouldn't be incredibly large.

Deputy Nutz
02-13-2015, 09:55 AM
sorry I trolled this thread.

woodbuck27
02-13-2015, 10:02 AM
I am sure that Packer fans of the 60s were not real happy that Lombardi left the team for greener pastures. They probably thought it sucked, but Lombardi died very shortly afterwards so not many people can hold a grudge after that. Lombardi has the fricking Super Bowl trophy named after him, he is a source of pride for the Packers. So is Curly Lambeau, and he really had issues with the Packer and the city of Green Bay. It was a real love hate relationship. Favre should be a source of pride for the franchise, as well. His play on the field should be enough regardless of the messy divorce from the Packers. The dust has settled, why kick it back up again when we all should be treated to one of the great homecomings in Packer history.

I think we all need to just get over it. So the Packers lost a few fans and Favre lost a few fans in the matter. Does it really matter? Favre is one of the greatest if not the greatest player in the history of Green Bay and people really need to get over it, and let this feud die. It is really a huge black eye for the franchise and the history of the Green Bay Packers.

I can positively report this as a fact:

I try to be honest with myself as a fan of Brett Favre in terms of how he is perceived today.

Brett Favre gets a great deal of love and appreciation from Packer fans.

His homecoming for the induction into the Green Bay Packer HOF and Number retirement will be an enormous celebration and success.

Congratulations to the Green Bay Packers Organization and Brett Favre and his Family.

KYPack
02-13-2015, 11:04 AM

I meant $, not grass.

Paul wanted to play for NO, for the upside to his paycheck.

He had negotiated a deal with the Saints that would have paid him a bundle to play down there.

One doctor had cleared him to play. When he still had nerve pain, he saw a doc in San Diego (Saints TC headquarters).

This doc told him one lick to his neck and he would be a quad.

Paul announced his retirement and (as you said) never played a game for the Saints.

He still made about triple his GB salary with radio TV and endorsement deals.

Patler
02-13-2015, 11:25 AM

From my personal experiences at the time, there was little anger among fans when Lombardi left. Disappointment and frustration, but not anger. Lombardi left because he got an ownership interest in the Redskins. He had said for several years that he was interested in becoming a part owner eventually. Green Bay could never offer that. There was even talk about if the Packers could have made changes to allow some typical ownership benefits for a head coach.

Why do people say it is time to get over the Favre situation? What is there to get over? It is simply history. I don't deny what he did as a player good and bad. Some want to remember only the good. I prefer more objectivity.

Deputy Nutz
02-13-2015, 11:37 AM
Do you prefer more objectivity with just Favre, or with all of the sports personalities your follow?

esoxx
02-13-2015, 11:43 AM
I meant $, not grass.

He had negotiated a deal with the Saints that would have paid him a bundle to play down there.

One doctor had cleared him to play. When he still had nerve pain, he saw a doc in San Diego (Saints TC headquarters).

Paul announced his retirement and (as you said) never played a game for the Saints.

Jim Taylor succeeded in getting out of GB for the greener pastures of NO. He didn't leave on good terms. He was pissed off at VL and felt underpaid/underappreciated. Some reports indicate they barely spoke in Taylor's last year in GB. The Pack had drafted the Gold Dust Twins Anderson & Grabowski and paid them way more than Jim & Paul ever made.

Often times things get ugly towards the end. I only care what they did on the field (assuming they didn't lop people's heads off like the Juice).

woodbuck27
02-13-2015, 11:53 AM
From my personal experiences at the time, there was little anger among fans when Lombardi left. Disappointment and frustration, but not anger. Lombardi left because he got an ownership interest in the Redskins. He had said for several years that he was interested in becoming a part owner eventually. Green Bay could never offer that. There was even talk about if the Packers could have made changes to allow some typical ownership benefits for a head coach.

Why do people say it is time to get over the Favre situation? What is there to get over? It is simply history. I don't deny what he did as a player good and bad. Some want to remember only the good. I prefer more objectivity.

No you don't have to 'just get over it'.

That has to come of yourself.

I know this. I'll likely be away on a long vacation during the time of this ceremony. I'll not see it recorded in full or parts for some time after but that day I'll be toasting Brett Favre if I'm alive.

I do think as it stands now that as many Green Bay Packer fans as possible should be able to at least see his number retirement ceremony just like a prominent NHL player in his home venue. That number retirement ceremony is the greatest honor and all of his fans should enjoy it first hand.

The retirement of any Montreal Canadians number wasn't held at the YMCA ! It took place at the home of the hockey team. The Montreal Forum or the Bell Center in later years.

That should by all means be held prior to a Packer game next season at Lambeau Field. I'm disappointed that isn't as planned today. I hope that changes. The fans need to see this and accept whatever healing and it shouldn't just be available to the sponsors and certain dignitaries in some restrictive venue.

I predict that Packer Nation will strongly agree with me.

Patler
02-13-2015, 11:58 AM
I meant $, not grass.

Hornung left because the Saints selected him in the expansion draft. Thereafter, he simply negotiated the best deal that he could. Lombardi didn't think Hornung would be selected, because the rumors were strong the previous year that his career was done due to his recurring neck problems. One storyline is that he told Hornung he would be unprotected, and Hornung went to Fears (who he knew well in GB) and convinced Fears that he (Hornung) could serve a great promotional role for the Saints. Some even say that both Fears and Hornung suspected Hornung would never play, but drafting him would be a PR win anyway.

I always thought trading for Taylor was the better PR move by the Saints, not drafting Hornung. Taylor was a Louisiana legend and though in decline, didn't seem done. Hornung's career looked to be about done.

Patler
02-13-2015, 12:02 PM
No you don't have to 'just get over it'.

That has to come of yourself.

I know this. I'll likely be away on a long vacation during the time of this ceremony. I'll not see it recorded in full or parts for some time after but that day I'll be toasting Brett Favre if I'm alive.

I do think as it stands now that as many Green Bay Packer fans as possible should be able to at least see his number retirement ceremony just like a prominent NHL player in his home venue. That number retirement ceremony is the greatest honor and all of his fans should enjoy it first hand.

The retirement of any Montreal Canadians number wasn't held at the YMCA ! It took place at the home of the hockey team. The Montreal Forum or the Bell Center in later years.

That should by all means be held prior to a Packer game next season at Lambeau Field. I'm disappointed that isn't as planned today. I hope that changes. The fans need to see this and accept whatever healing and it shouldn't just be available to the sponsors and certain dignitaries in some restrictive venue.

I predict that Packer Nation will strongly agree with me.

Are you confusing his Packer HOF induction with his number retirement? Retiring his number has always been planned for a game, they just haven't decided yet which game it will be.

pbmax
02-13-2015, 12:10 PM
Are you confusing his Packer HOF induction with his number retirement? Retiring his number has always been planned for a game, they just haven't decided yet which game it will be.

Actually, they are retiring the number at the Packer HoF ceremony, that was in the announcement that came out a few days ago.

They will then have the public reveal of the number in the stadium during a game in the 2015 season.

Patler
02-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Actually, they are retiring the number at the Packer HoF ceremony, that was in the announcement that came out a few days ago.

They will then have the public reveal of the number in the stadium during a game in the 2015 season.

What are they doing to retire it? There is no announcement to be made, Harlan took care of that years ago, and it was reinforced by the first announcement of the unveiling by Murphy, scuttled only when Favre decided to continue playing. The only thing of significance yet to occur is the unveiling. The fact of the retirement has been a done deal for years.

Deputy Nutz
02-13-2015, 12:40 PM
Statue????

Patler
02-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Statue????

Wouldn't any statue be part of the HOF ceremony, not the number retirement?. I just wonder what "extra" there will be for Favre that other Packer HOF inductees haven't gotten at the HOF ceremony.

If they were making an announcement that the number is being retired, that would be something. Maybe they will have an "official" team proclamation, or something, but the significance of it is completely gone, since they already scheduled one unveiling ceremony already.

Smidgeon
02-13-2015, 01:23 PM
I think they need Favre to (if it's in the Atrium) descend from the ceiling with fireworks exploding outside and Motorhead performing off to the side. If it's in the stadium, he needs to jump from a helicopter onto a huge inflated landing pad with fireworks from the roof of Lambeau and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing some soul-tearing monstrosity while the Rockettes and Blue Angels do their thing.

And Favre would land from his huge drop, take off the helmet, and be standing there in biceps and a tuxedo. And put on his baseball cap he always wore. Then he'd go to toss the helmet to Jerry Glanville (which would be intercepted poetically by an assistant seeking to intercept Favre's final pass), walk to the podium while greeted by the thunderous cheers of tens of thousands of fans and jokingly say into the microphone "Beat that, Aaron."

The crowd laughs at the inside joke that the show's always been about Favre, until the "assistant" who intercepted Favre's helmet steps forward...AND IT'S AARON FREAKIN RODGERS!!! HE ALREADY STOLE IT!!!!

They embrace briefly in mutual respect, Ron Wolf, M1, Bob Harlan, Mark Murphy, T2, and M3 all step up behind the duo (strangely M2 is nowhere to be found), the crowd goes absolutely wild, ESPN, CNN, and the Wall Street Journal representatives are all on hand losing all dignity in admiration, and the TV and radio feeds start failing due to pure awesomeness. TVs across the nation start turning themselves on just to display the glory of the Packers, regardless of whether they have a power supply or not. Ratings jump to never-before-seen levels as 100% of units across the nation are watching this moment in between the ever-growing static.

Favre shakes hands with the men behind him and with Aaron, then T2, M3, Murphy, and Aaron leave the stage as they were only there as representations of the current Packers organization, leaving the spotlights being wielded by circling helicopters and Good Year blimps resting on the four people still living who changed the Packers forever.

Favre will step forward again, attempting to quiet the crowd several times.

Eventually it dies down to a dull roar, and Favre says, "You know, the only person we're missing here is Reggie." And a voice comes from Heaven: "Hey, Reggie here. Don't you worry about me. I've already drafted you to my football team up here. We got Barry Sanders and Don Hutson too. Still have to wait a while until you arrive though. See you soon."

The video boards then start up a video montage of Favre's playing career while Pearl Jam and Pink Floyd and Rush are all on hand performing instrumental dueling band awesomeness. The adrenaline cranks higher than it's ever been cranked before, resulting in even the moon dimming significantly.

And the TV feeds suddenly burst out of their static with a miraculous moment of clarity as they catch Brad Childress in the audience with tears streaming down his face.

Somehow that brief glimpse of Chilly's face on the Jumbotron and in TVs across the nation was enough to unite the entire Packers' fanbase and NFL fans everywhere in one thought: All is well.

Except for the Vikings fans. They're all crying too. As it should be.

Or the statue thing. That works too.

POSTSCRIPT: I'm really short on sleep. This is probably the result of sleep deprivation. But I'll let it stand for posterity.

woodbuck27
02-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Wouldn't any statue be part of the HOF ceremony, not the number retirement?. I just wonder what "extra" there will be for Favre that other Packer HOF inductees haven't gotten at the HOF ceremony.

If they were making an announcement that the number is being retired, that would be something. Maybe they will have an "official" team proclamation, or something, but the significance of it is completely gone, since they already scheduled one unveiling ceremony already.

Holy crap.

Another statue....if I was Brett Favre I'd say that's a tad embarrassing.

Too many questions and where are the answers? :-)

Who's going to be commissioned to sculpt a statue and on what time table?

woodbuck27
02-13-2015, 01:40 PM
I think they need Favre to (if it's in the Atrium) descend from the ceiling with fireworks exploding outside and Motorhead performing off to the side. If it's in the stadium, he needs to jump from a helicopter onto a huge inflated landing pad with fireworks from the roof of Lambeau and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing some soul-tearing monstrosity while the Rockettes and Blue Angels do their thing.

And Favre would land from his huge drop, take off the helmet, and be standing there in biceps and a tuxedo. And put on his baseball cap he always wore. Then he'd go to toss the helmet to Jerry Glanville (which would be intercepted poetically by an assistant seeking to intercept Favre's final pass), walk to the podium while greeted by the thunderous cheers of tens of thousands of fans and jokingly say into the microphone "Beat that, Aaron."

The crowd laughs at the inside joke that the show's always been about Favre, until the "assistant" who intercepted Favre's helmet steps forward...AND IT'S AARON FREAKIN RODGERS!!! HE ALREADY STOLE IT!!!!

They embrace briefly in mutual respect, Ron Wolf, M1, Bob Harlan, Mark Murphy, T2, and M3 all step up behind the duo (strangely M2 is nowhere to be found), the crowd goes absolutely wild, ESPN, CNN, and the Wall Street Journal representatives are all on hand losing all dignity in admiration, and the TV and radio feeds start failing due to pure awesomeness. TVs across the nation start turning themselves on just to display the glory of the Packers, regardless of whether they have a power supply or not. Ratings jump to never-before-seen levels as 100% of units across the nation are watching this moment in between the ever-growing static.

Favre shakes hands with the men behind him and with Aaron, then T2, M3, Murphy, and Aaron leave the stage as they were only there as representations of the current Packers organization, leaving the spotlights being wielded by circling helicopters and Good Year blimps resting on the four people still living who changed the Packers forever.

Favre will step forward again, attempting to quiet the crowd several times.

Eventually it dies down to a dull roar, and Favre says, "You know, the only person we're missing here is Reggie." And a voice comes from Heaven: "Hey, Reggie here. Don't you worry about me. I've already drafted you to my football team up here. We got Barry Sanders and Don Hutson too. Still have to wait a while until you arrive though. See you soon."

The video boards then start up a video montage of Favre's playing career while Pearl Jam and Pink Floyd and Rush are all on hand performing instrumental dueling band awesomeness. The adrenaline cranks higher than it's ever been cranked before, resulting in even the moon dimming significantly.

And the TV feeds suddenly burst out of their static with a miraculous moment of clarity as they catch Brad Childress in the audience with tears streaming down his face.

Somehow that brief glimpse of Chilly's face on the Jumbotron and in TVs across the nation was enough to unite the entire Packers' fanbase and NFL fans everywhere in one thought: All is well.

Except for the Vikings fans. They're all crying too. As it should be.

POSTSCRIPT: I'm really short on sleep. This is probably the result of sleep deprivation. But I'll let it stand for posterity.

and somewhere amongst that adoring Lambeau Field rapturous crowd there's one small voice screaming:

"YOU SUCK FAVRE" Scott Campbell

PS .... Scott traveled to Green Bay 'in a trunk' with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

LP
02-13-2015, 02:05 PM
(strangely M2 is nowhere to be found),[/I]

He's taking a nap in the stands.

Deputy Nutz
02-13-2015, 02:24 PM

Well you get a Bust at the HOF not a statue, I am only referring to the Jersey and ring of honor ceremony in Green Bay.

pbmax
02-13-2015, 02:33 PM
What are they doing to retire it? .

Ever see the Boy Scouts retire the Stars and Stripes?

:lol:

Patler
02-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Ever see the Boy Scouts retire the Stars and Stripes?

:lol:

Funny, I was going to say maybe they would burn it (ala an old flag), but I thought it would be taken the wrong way!

Patler
02-13-2015, 02:59 PM
Well you get a Bust at the HOF not a statue, I am only referring to the Jersey and ring of honor ceremony in Green Bay.

Sorry, but a bust is a statue.
Besides, you brought up the question of a statue, not me. Why are you calling ME to task for it???

mraynrand
02-13-2015, 07:38 PM
I think they need Favre to (if it's in the Atrium) descend from the ceiling with fireworks exploding outside and Motorhead performing off to the side. If it's in the stadium, he needs to jump from a helicopter onto a huge inflated landing pad with fireworks from the roof of Lambeau and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing some soul-tearing monstrosity while the Rockettes and Blue Angels do their thing....

The whole thing: Awesomeness. It's better than having him ride in on a little green cart. Repped.

woodbuck27
02-13-2015, 08:12 PM
He's taking a nap in the stands.

Yeaaa! Off topic but of another relic.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAu1FwQsGS2fq5HuersG1OEW-bF5G2aXIIp-6RwTr4yXL8XCgq7Q

and two sides of the man.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2NoXsCQ7qlnCiB3y7XlrV5m6rHvmYa 6ZCn_ke4Pcvzsao_PS_

Mike 'I want you Sapp' Sherman is here !

pbmax
02-13-2015, 08:23 PM
I think Brett would prefer the Alman Brothers, otherwise dignified and subtle.

red
02-22-2015, 07:08 PM
an update

the auction has ended and the dude made $43,000 off his initial .58 cent purchase

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/12362216/sweater-once-owned-vince-lombardi-was-bought-goodwill-sells-auction-43020

gbgary
02-23-2015, 03:25 PM
cool story.

mraynrand
02-23-2015, 03:38 PM
an update

the auction has ended and the dude made $43,000 off his initial .58 cent purchase

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/12362216/sweater-once-owned-vince-lombardi-was-bought-goodwill-sells-auction-43020

now he can buy tickets to a game

pbmax
02-23-2015, 04:41 PM
now he can buy tickets to a game

No need. They hand out Redskins tickets for free with 8 gallon fill-ups at Shell in Virginia.

pbmax
03-24-2015, 08:41 PM
Local coverage of sweater purchaser. Headline and Sub-Head:

The Former Singer of Tit Pig Bought NFL Hall of Famer Vince Lombardi’s Sweater at a Goodwill for 58 Cents and Sold It for $43,020

But He Still Hates Macklemore

http://www.thestranger.com/music/sound-check/2015/03/18/21915064/the-former-singer-of-tit-pig-bought-vince-lombardis-sweater-at-a-goodwill-for-58-cents-and-sold-it-for-43020

mraynrand
03-24-2015, 10:17 PM
No need. They hand out Redskins tickets for free with 8 gallon fill-ups at Shell in Virginia.

that's probably what an old George Allen sweater is worth.