PDA

View Full Version : Official CTE - Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy - Related Health Issues - NFL Players Thread

woodbuck27
02-15-2015, 08:30 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/10/tony-dorsett-on-living-with-cte-i-didnt-know-end-would-be-like-this-but-im-battling/

Tony Dorsett on living with CTE: I didn’t know end would be like this, but I’m battling

Posted by Josh Alper on February 10, 2015, 10:14 AM EST

CTE may be .... " a cause of memory loss, emotional outbursts, depression and dementia for others who have suffered it.

Dorsett has been experiencing some of those things for a while, saying at the time of his diagnosis that it’s “painful” for his daughters to say that they’re scared of him at times. ..."

Comment woodbuck27:

I decided to get a thread up on this health issue. As fans of the game we should learn as much about this stuff as we might desire to.

It was reported today on the evening news that a former NHL hockey player Steve Montador ... was found dead in his residence. I havn't followed up on any details yet. Steve Montador did suffer concussions in his career according to that news report.

Right now I'm thinking of how Junior Seau went. This concussion issue is a major concern.

Joemailman
02-16-2015, 06:30 AM
Tony Dorsett played until he was 34 and was involved in almost 4000 rushing attempts/receptions. Junior Seau played into his 40's and was involved in about 2000 tackles. Players involved in that many collisions are going to be putting themselves at risk. Of course, for them it was probably even worse than it is now because the NFL didn't have the concussion protocols that have now.

woodbuck27
02-16-2015, 07:09 AM
Tony Dorsett played until he was 34 and was involved in almost 4000 rushing attempts/receptions. Junior Seau played into his 40's and was involved in about 2000 tackles. Players involved in that many collisions are going to be putting themselves at risk. Of course, for them it was probably even worse than it is now because the NFL didn't have the concussion protocols that have now.

He was a gifted/exciting RB. He won the Heisman Trophy, is a member of the Pro Football and College Football HOF's. His stat's were impressive and he proved to be near the top of all NFL RB's in NFL history. 'Only one'
RB may be considered to be better and that fella is my pick for the greatest NFL player All Time...the Cleveland Browns Jim Brown.

It's sad to read stuff like this on the current lives of retired NFL players that were held in such esteem during their careers. Worse the fact that many of these guys are living difficult financial lives. We see a player like Seattle RB marshawn Lynch take such punishment and the same with our Packer RB Eddie Lacy.NFL RB's are so fortunate to reach second contract status.

I can see Seattle's RB Marshawn Lynch saying 'no more'.It's no good earning excess millions of dollars and not being able to love your life. To feel vital and fortunate for your NFL career.

Then you have the other side of it. The Favre's and Peyton Manning that hang on too long. Peyton Manning looks so desperate right now. Chasing a dream of another Super Bowl and NFL records at what cost? I see what Manning is doing right now and reflect back on Brett Favre's passion to continue and see the wrong in such obsession.

woodbuck27
02-16-2015, 08:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Dorsett

Dorsett hosts the Tony Dorsett Celebrity Golf Classic for McGuire Memorial.

This event, in its 17th year, has raised nearly $5 million in support of 'McGuire Memorial's mission' in Pittsburgh.

Today Tony Dorsett gives back to the game supporting current and former NFL players who suffer 'sleep apnea'.