PDA

View Full Version : Official 2015 NFL Combine Thread

Joemailman
02-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Starts February 17 Workouts start February 20.

http://www.nfl.com/combine

I'll be interested in the ILB's. Will guys like Eric Kendricks look strong enough to play inside? Will guys like McKinney and Perryman look like they have the agility to be 3 down players?

Should be exciting.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/R0rPdDaAWNI/AAAAAAAAD00/TsGIUkEw_kg/s400/mikeshermansleeping.jpg

red
02-16-2015, 01:41 PM
i'm interested in seeing some measurements

perryman to me looks very short on the field, much shorter then the 6'1 he's listed at

much like a few years back at training camp when i stoop next to nick barnett while he was in his cleats, and my 5'11 ass was looking down at his "6'2" self

i hope some other ILB's with better height and coverage skills step up. the top of the draft guys don't impress me at all

Joemailman
02-16-2015, 01:49 PM
I've seen Perryman listed at 5-11 (CBS). NFL.com has him listed at 6-0. he could be a 1st round pick if he's anything over 6.

smuggler
02-16-2015, 01:52 PM
The combine measurements will be accurate. You can see them on nfl.com or nfldraftscout.com

pbmax
02-16-2015, 05:25 PM
i'm interested in seeing some measurements

perryman to me looks very short on the field, much shorter then the 6'1 he's listed at

much like a few years back at training camp when i stoop next to nick barnett while he was in his cleats, and my 5'11 ass was looking down at his "6'2" self

i hope some other ILB's with better height and coverage skills step up. the top of the draft guys don't impress me at all

What was his Combine height?

Joemailman
02-16-2015, 05:25 PM
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=10426

Another top rated blocker who needs to turn in a good combine performance is Tyler Sambrailo. The Colorado State tackle struggled at times during the Senior Bowl and teams came away questioning his functional football strength. On the other hand his athleticism is not a concern (still remember watching as Sambrailo caught a touchdown pass last season). Sambrailo may not have the fastest forty time on Friday but check and see how his shuttle and 3-cone times stack up against the rest of the offensive linemen. There’s still a chance Sambrailo slides into the late part of round one. I previously posted on the Seattle Seahawks admiration for Sambrailo and now hear the Green Bay Packers are in the mix. The team could lose Bryan Bulaga via free agency in the coming weeks and the feeling is Sambrailo’s athleticism and ability to easily move around the field makes him a perfect fit for the Aaron Rodgers led Packers.

red
02-16-2015, 05:41 PM
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=10426

yuck

NO,to offensive line projects in the first round please

i'm liking the whole "trade out of the first" idea more and more the longer i look at this draft class

in fact, i wouldn't mind trading our first and second round picks for a couple of decent vets

and lets not forget, we have barclay who didn't do too bad last year in a starting role, if/when we lose bulaga

Pugger
02-16-2015, 06:26 PM
We also will be in the market for another TE in this draft with only Q and RichRod still around worth a darn.

Joemailman
02-16-2015, 06:32 PM
What was his Combine height?

Combine hasn't started yet. Starts tomorrow.

denverYooper
02-16-2015, 06:34 PM
Combine hasn't started yet. Starts tomorrow.

I think he meant Nick Barnett's combine height.

Joemailman
02-16-2015, 06:39 PM
I think he meant Nick Barnett's combine height.

Ah. 6-1 5/8

pbmax
02-16-2015, 07:17 PM
Ah. 6-1 5/8

Then I will assume Red was drunk while at camp, standing next to Barnett. Or the guy he thought was Barnett in a 56 jersey.

red
02-16-2015, 08:16 PM
Then I will assume Red was drunk while at camp, standing next to Barnett. Or the guy he thought was Barnett in a 56 jersey.

NOPE, not drunk, very sober

and i towered over barnett, i was shocked, i was even checked to see if i was on a curb, or if he was on a bike

smuggler
02-16-2015, 09:30 PM
Don't forget there is a bit of play in the spine, and years of slamming your shoulders into other huge men *will* compress your discs.

woodbuck27
02-16-2015, 10:26 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/16/mike-mayock-three-wrs-could-push-chris-johnsons-40-record/

Mike Mayock: Three WRs could push Chris Johnson’s 40 record

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 16, 2015, 9:46 AM EST

smuggler
02-17-2015, 02:10 AM
Hey, thanks Mayock, now Dorsett won't be a sleeper anymore. Fucker.

woodbuck27
02-17-2015, 07:18 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2015/2/13/8032285/2015-nfl-combine-preview-players-to-watch-sleepers

8 players ready to break out at the 2015 NFL Combine

By: Dan Kadar  @MockingTheDraft on Feb 13, 2015, 10:05 AM

Comment woodbuck27:

The article includes comments on a player where we have need:

TE Jesse James (Sandra Bullock may throw her hands in the air and scream..ohh No ...not another one? Can you see this fellas endorsement potential? He might make Clay Matthews jealous?

You'll find him here at NO. 83 at present. The top ranked TE is Max Williams and Draft Scouts has him ranked at NO. 35. If TT wants him and can trade down into the top of Round 2 he may be the first new Packer prospect selected?

TT should select a decent prospect at CB. The article projects that if this fella measures well in the Combine that he may move up about ten spots from where Draft Scout has him at present.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/CB

Draft Scouts NO. 75 Ranked prospect. DB Jacoby Glenn, Central Florida 6 ' - 0 " and 178 lbs Doesn't he need a little more muscle weight?

Drafttec has Jacoby Glenn slotted to go at NO. 106 in Round 4.

http://www.drafttek.com/2015-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round4.asp

woodbuck27
02-17-2015, 08:35 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2015/2/16/8040297/2015-nfl-combine-preview

2015 NFL Combine preview: 8 key storylines to know

By: Dan Kadar  @MockingTheDraft on Feb 16, 2015, 9:00 AM

Comment woodbuck27:

Now TT will be away at the Combine doing his favourite thing. Personally evaluating draft prospects.

The Franchise Tag period opens today.

Will Ted Thompson ensure that Randall Cobb remains a Packer with the Franchise Tag? I don't believe that TT will commit that much money (about $12.8 M$) to the WR position. Randall Cobb is rumored to be looking for $ 9 M$/year and every day this drags out until Mar. 9 will bother me. Randall Cobb may be smart desiring a short 2-3 year contract and as he's young. Wait for the big final contract as he should have loads of confidence that he'll prove upside.

Will it go (not down) like this?

TT will offer Randall Cobb about $7-7.5 M$ for 4 years with a guaranteed $15 M$. That won't thrill Randall Cobb and come March 10 he'll hit the market and get scooped up.

I really like Randal Cobb. He's such a good weapon and contributor in terms of the fact he's a zero distraction. I really want him to stay but TT has a way of stalling and I term that playing it too cute.

I'm reading and hearing stuff that informs me not to get my hopes too high and Randall Cobb remaining a Green Bay Packer. If I was Aaron Rodgers I'd be concerned. I'd be asking TT what his game is? Maybe Aaron Rodgers stays away from such stuff; but I lean on... "demonstrate some balls Aaron".

woodbuck27
02-17-2015, 10:32 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2366678-nfl-draft-combine-2015-position-by-position-primer/page/2

NFL Draft Combine 2015: Position-by-Position Primer

By Justis Mosqueda , Featured Columnist ....... Feb 17, 2015

Pugger
02-17-2015, 10:55 AM
I was reading something earlier this morning online - I can't seem to find it now - but it basically questioned the practicality of the Combine. The author questioned what good all of these measurements are for when the kids are wearing shorts. He suggested the participants should do the drills in pads, even the 40. Some of the stuff the prospects prepare for in this event are things they never will do again in a game.

Smidgeon
02-17-2015, 12:23 PM
I was reading something earlier this morning online - I can't seem to find it now - but it basically questioned the practicality of the Combine. The author questioned what good all of these measurements are for when the kids are wearing shorts. He suggested the participants should do the drills in pads, even the 40. Some of the stuff the prospects prepare for in this event are things they never will do again in a game.

Years ago I heard a similar argument. One of that article's arguments was instead of a benchpress, do a standing strength test (where I suppose you'd push on something that would lift weights via a pulley). It would provide a more concrete example of strength.

Of course, the problem with switching is that there would be no "history of combine numbers" to which to compare it. Is pushing this weight 48 times the equivalent of benchpressing 25 or 30? And such.

MadScientist
02-17-2015, 01:19 PM
The top ranked TE is Max Williams and Draft Scouts has him ranked at NO. 35. If TT wants him and can trade down into the top of Round 2 he may be the first new Packer prospect selected?

If TT wants him, he will take him at 30. You can never trade down to get somebody, you can only trade up for a player.

pittstang5
02-17-2015, 01:27 PM
The biggest question:

When will Rich Eisen run his 40?

red
02-17-2015, 01:49 PM
The biggest question:

When will Rich Eisen run his 40?

Who knows

what we do know is that it will be mentioned every 10 minutes all week long until he does it

pittstang5
02-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Who knows

what we do know is that it will be mentioned every 10 minutes all week long until he does it

Yes, that is annoying, but it's funny when they match him running with the other participants.

Smidgeon
02-17-2015, 02:46 PM
Yes, that is annoying, but it's funny when they match him running with the other participants.

The only year I watched it, he beat only one guy: a DT who tripped and fell during his run.

red
02-17-2015, 03:13 PM

it was funny when they did it the first time like 5 years ago

now its just dumb

pbmax
02-17-2015, 05:56 PM

They are looking for comparisons to other players, and draftees to one another. They have 30 years of data to go with now. Changing the test would invalidate a lot of data.

It would make more sense to introduce new disciplines and get some numbers before retiring any.

Joemailman
02-17-2015, 06:45 PM
The only year I watched it, he beat only one guy: a DT who tripped and fell during his run.

Ol' Cleedeeus says "Eisen would never beat me!"

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb449/route25/ol%20cleedeeus.jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/route25/media/ol%20cleedeeus.jpg.html)

woodbuck27
02-17-2015, 09:33 PM
If TT wants him, he will take him at 30. You can never trade down to get somebody, you can only trade up for a player.

Actually if he really wants TE Maxx Williams (Minnesota) TT would have to 'most likely' trade up as he's being mocked to Baltimore @ NO. 26 and Denver @ NO. 28.

Today I saw a mock where WR/TE Devin Funchess goes to Green Bay. I'm not high on him (video and scouting analysis and drops - blocking) but he can get into the air:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000470602/article/devin-funchess-flashes-leaping-ability-at-img-academy

Devin Funchess flashes leaping ability at IMG Academy

By: Chase Goodbread ... College Football 24/7 writer

Published: Feb. 15, 2015 at 12:41 p.m. ... Updated: Feb. 15, 2015 at 01:06 p.m

woodbuck27
02-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Pre Combine Mocks from NFLDRAFTSCOUT.Com (Rob Rang & Dane Brugler 2-16-15 and Pat KIrwan 2-11-15:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

Green Bay gets:

(Rang) Jordan Phillips - DT | Oklahoma

(Brugler) Quinten Rollins - CB | Miami (Ohio)

( Kirwan) Devin Funchess- WR | Michigan

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
02-18-2015, 06:54 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25071982/nfl-combine-heres-interview-schedule-for-each-coach-and-gm

2015 NFL Combine: Here's interview schedule for each coach and GM

By: John Breech | CBSSports.com

February 17, 2015 5:57 pm ET

Comment woodbuck27:

Packers EVP, General Manager & Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson is scheduled to speak 'first up' on Thurs. 19 Feb @ 10 AM ET

Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy is scheduled for Thursday 19 Feb, 2015 @ 3 PM ET

woodbuck27
02-18-2015, 06:59 AM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2015/2/17/8039297/2015-nfl-scouting-combine-schedule-TV-drills-projections

2015 NFL Scouting Combine: Schedule, Drills, Projections

By: Invictus XI  @KSIXI on Feb 17, 2015, 12:00p

The NFL Combine will be broadcast on NFL Network from Feb. 17-23. Here is the position-by-position workout schedule:

Friday, Feb. 20: Tight Ends, Offensive Linemen, Special Teams

Saturday, Feb.21: Quarterbacks, Running Backs, Wide Receivers

Sunday, Feb. 22: Defensive Line, Linebackers

Monday, Feb. 23: Defensive Backs

Smidgeon
02-18-2015, 08:36 AM
They are looking for comparisons to other players, and draftees to one another. They have 30 years of data to go with now. Changing the test would invalidate a lot of data.

It would make more sense to introduce new disciplines and get some numbers before retiring any.

Yeah. I was thinking about this too. For maybe five years, they'd double the drills: the old ones plus the new ones. Then retire the old ones to retain some continuity throughout the process.

Not going to happen even though the results of those types of drills would be more directly applicable.

pbmax
02-18-2015, 08:47 AM
Yeah. I was thinking about this too. For maybe five years, they'd double the drills: the old ones plus the new ones. Then retire the old ones to retain some continuity throughout the process.

Not going to happen even though the results of those types of drills would be more directly applicable.

Heard a variation of this complaint from Dan Patrick. Commenting on Tom Brady's combine workout video that has surfaced on You Tube, he said "I don't care if he runs fast, only that he runs smart."

I would like to see a drill that would be able to measure that. Maybe some variation of Windows minesweeper.

He did redeem himself and say he would learn more in the interview than in the combine. Which is what every team says.

Its time now to switch from believing the Combine is overrated to complaining about the media complaining about the Combine being overrated.

woodbuck27
02-18-2015, 09:06 AM
What would matter most to me:

Intelligence and character. How extroverted is he? Who were his mentors? How would be describe his upbringing? Good or bad how did he deal with that? What value does he place on money?

Is the prospect a winner? Has he contributed to winning teams in his past? How did he see his role on such winning or championship teams?

SkinBasket
02-18-2015, 05:06 PM
Can't wait for all the shots of Winston or some other dramatic story of this draft gazing pensively on the sidelines while the drills happen off camera. It's going to be fucking awesome!

Pugger
02-19-2015, 10:47 AM
Actually if he really wants TE Maxx Williams (Minnesota) TT would have to 'most likely' trade up as he's being mocked to Baltimore @ NO. 26 and Denver @ NO. 28.

Today I saw a mock where WR/TE Devin Funchess goes to Green Bay. I'm not high on him (video and scouting analysis and drops - blocking) but he can get into the air:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000470602/article/devin-funchess-flashes-leaping-ability-at-img-academy

Devin Funchess flashes leaping ability at IMG Academy

By: Chase Goodbread ... College Football 24/7 writer

Published: Feb. 15, 2015 at 12:41 p.m. ... Updated: Feb. 15, 2015 at 01:06 p.m

If he performs well in this upcoming combine he might be gone by #26.

SkinBasket
02-23-2015, 11:45 AM
This thread is about as exciting as the combine, all we need is commercial breaks every 5-10 minutes. I was hoping someone would have something intelligent to say about something regarding the combine. I guess I set the bar too high sometimes.

Pugger
02-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Pre Combine Mocks from NFLDRAFTSCOUT.Com (Rob Rang & Dane Brugler 2-16-15 and Pat KIrwan 2-11-15:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

Green Bay gets:

(Rang) Jordan Phillips - DT | Oklahoma

(Brugler) Quinten Rollins - CB | Miami (Ohio)

( Kirwan) Devin Funchess- WR | Michigan

GO PACK GO !

This is a pretty good WR class and Ted has done well getting WRs in the second round. This is also a really good year for defensive tackles. I wouldn't mind it if Ted got a good big guy in there to stuff the run. This isn't the best ILB class so I hope, unless somebody falls, Ted looks for one on the second day of the draft.

mraynrand
02-23-2015, 11:52 AM
This thread is about as exciting as the combine, all we need is commercial breaks every 5-10 minutes. I was hoping someone would have something intelligent to say about something regarding the combine. I guess I set the bar too high sometimes.

Solaris looked cute in his green jammies.

mraynrand
02-23-2015, 11:53 AM
I guess I set the bar too high sometimes.

Are you trying to suggest there is a bar at Packerrats?

Pugger
02-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Can't wait for all the shots of Winston or some other dramatic story of this draft gazing pensively on the sidelines while the drills happen off camera. It's going to be fucking awesome!

Winston really shined in this combine. I guess his interviews were superb and his passing was stellar. Mariota seems to be the better athlete while Winston is the better passer, but not by a lot. Too bad these kids will be stuck on crappy teams in 2015...

SkinBasket
02-23-2015, 01:25 PM
I liked the way Funchess looked in that he could create mismatches ala Finley by lining him up in different places. But he also didn't look very smart, so I don't know if he's smart enough to utilize in a dynamic offense. So, anybody know if he's like retarded or not?

SkinBasket
02-23-2015, 01:25 PM
And his name is kind of stupid, which is what I base 40% of my evaluations on in the combine.

pbmax
02-23-2015, 02:30 PM
They are televising the wrong events:

Petersen's agent Ben Dogra Has Heated Confrontation with Rob Brzezinski, Vikes VP of Bird Proof Glass (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25079053/tensions-rise-between-adrian-petersons-agent-vikings-exec-in-indy)

Mark Dominik had to separate them. He works for ESPN but apparently he escaped their compound without a camera crew in tow.

mraynrand
02-23-2015, 03:41 PM

Petersen's agent Ben Dogra Has Heated Confrontation with Rob Brzezinski, Vikes VP of Bird Proof Glass (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25079053/tensions-rise-between-adrian-petersons-agent-vikings-exec-in-indy)

Mark Dominik had to separate them. He works for ESPN but apparently he escaped their compound without a camera crew in tow.

did they stay within the cones?

Joemailman
02-23-2015, 04:33 PM
I liked the way Funchess looked in that he could create mismatches ala Finley by lining him up in different places. But he also didn't look very smart, so I don't know if he's smart enough to utilize in a dynamic offense. So, anybody know if he's like retarded or not?

No more than Finley.

Pugger
02-23-2015, 05:30 PM

We don't need another mentally challenged TE.

Pugger
02-23-2015, 05:31 PM

I think APs days in purple are numbered. I'll bet Dogra got pissed because MN will not trade AP to Dallas. Perhaps AP should "retire" and then pull a Favre?

Guiness
02-23-2015, 10:01 PM
Are you trying to suggest there is a bar at Packerrats?

Do they card?

mraynrand
02-24-2015, 09:11 AM
http://www.buildyourmarriage.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Mediocrity-Setting-the-Bar-Low.jpg

pbmax
02-24-2015, 09:29 AM
Rob Brzezinski sounds like a fun guy. I wonder if he is related to Mike Reinfeldt? Dogra is not the first person to experience the wrath of the cap guy.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/293769491.html

And then we told one another to perform an anatomically difficult act and went back to our seats.

smuggler
02-24-2015, 01:27 PM
After a bit of a lackluster combine, it's possible Shaq Thompson is back on the table. Not sure he'd make it to 30, but it might mean trading up for him is a realistic option. (Not that Thompson would.)

Zool
02-24-2015, 03:43 PM
No more than Finley.

What do he sposed to say?

Fritz
02-25-2015, 09:11 AM

My youngest daughter attends the University of Michigan and worked at the training table the last three years. She says about Funchess, and I quote, "He barely speaks English."

Now if we were talking about Mad, that'd be okay since it's his second language, but for a football player born and raised in the US, not so good. And not to put too fine a point on it, my daughter also says "if smarts is the question, he is not a good choice."

So to me it sounds kinda like Brandon Bostick 2.0, complete with the dropsies I've seen from Funchess.

Stay away from that one.

sharpe1027
02-25-2015, 09:17 AM
After a bit of a lackluster combine, it's possible Shaq Thompson is back on the table. Not sure he'd make it to 30, but it might mean trading up for him is a realistic option. (Not that Thompson would.)

Clay Matthews disagrees. TT would trade up for value.

mraynrand
02-25-2015, 09:50 AM

Throw it down, big man, throw it down!
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/3U9Wnb42GFmeUbOs8Av9FA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnbaexperts/Are-we-witnessing-a-tense-moment-or-the-blossoming-of-a-lifelong-friendship-Getty-Images.jpg

mraynrand
02-25-2015, 09:51 AM
My youngest daughter attends the University of Michigan and worked at the training table the last three years. She says about Funchess, and I quote, "He barely speaks English."

did you dust her for Funchess' fingerprints?

pbmax
02-25-2015, 01:13 PM
did you dust her for Funchess' fingerprints?

He wasn't able to hold on.

smuggler
02-25-2015, 03:42 PM
Now he's got an icyhot sick superburn to complement the icyhot muscle cream...

smuggler
02-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Clay Matthews disagrees. TT would trade up for value.

I had Clay in mind when I posted. If there is value in the player and a fair offer from a team looking to trade down, I know TT would consider it.

SkinBasket
02-26-2015, 05:24 AM
He wasn't able to hold on.

Nicely done.

Now if we were talking about Mad, that'd be okay since it's his second language, but for a football player born and raised in the US, not so good. And not to put too fine a point on it, my daughter also says "if smarts is the question, he is not a good choice."

So to me it sounds kinda like Brandon Bostick 2.0, complete with the dropsies I've seen from Funchess.

Stay away from that one.

Thanks fritz. Turns out some people you can judge by their cover. Mostly black people, but before you say anything racist, remember they ARE people too.

red
02-26-2015, 10:47 AM
funchess was a TE before he demanded to play wr his senior year, he ran a slow 4.7 at the combine, and had a slender body of a wr, not a TE

then he had the drops

i hope to god we don't draft him

smuggler
02-26-2015, 11:16 AM
I'm already seeing him as a 3rd rounder by some people. His 40 time has screwed him a bit.

mraynrand
02-26-2015, 11:26 AM
I'm already seeing him as a 3rd rounder by some people. His 40 time has screwed him a bit.

"Great Value Pick!!!!"

http://iameviltebow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/7MelKiperJr.jpg

smuggler
02-26-2015, 11:46 AM
The dumb won't wash away, no matter when you take him.... however much it amounts to. Remember when Aaron Hernandez was a draft steal?

pbmax
02-27-2015, 01:56 PM
All the combine data in one place:

https://t.co/T7lwkC1qCc