PDA

View Full Version : Its Sunday, McGinn Sees a Mutiny

pbmax
02-22-2015, 04:56 PM
His email Inbox is full of complaints after McCarthy huffed "wouldn't change a thing" at his post game press conference.

He sees the Apocalypse coming over the horizon on the Executive Committee. Though he admits he sees no evidence of this (?). And somehow, Bob manages to come off even-handed while throwing mud at passers-by.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-play-calling-may-best-be-left-to-mike-mccarthy-b99448616z1-293322301.html

Despite his best efforts to make you think the walls are closing in, he does have a point.

The one thing NOT wrong with the offense was play calling. Late game situations, challenge management, injury info from the field and on the bench were all issues.

To fix those and Special Teams, McCarthy has given up one of his chief contributions. Play calling isn't rocket science and Clements has plenty of experience and trust with Rodgers, but M3 will need to deliver on his new duties in a spectacular fashion to match his no-longer-available offensive role.

Lost in all the discussion is that McCarthy DOES need to re-evaluate his strategic approach at the end of halves and close games late (both with a lead and without). But there is no evidence that he will do so, and we don't know whether Clements and Rodgers will be able to do so without his approval.

vince
02-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Bob's really good at sticking his finger in the air, seeing which way the wind's blowing, stirring the pot and rustling up the natives to make the flagship publisher a few bucks.

No matter what's said publicly, it stands to reason there is a degree of doubt within the organization whether McCarthy can win another Super Bowl.good one Bob. That's why many put the press a notch below lawyers and drug dealers in the hierarchy of slime.

It's legitimate to question the change in coaching structure but I don't think Bob cares one way or another. There's no money in supporting it at this point in time and that's all that matters.

Cheesehead Craig
02-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Bob's really good at sticking his finger in the air, seeing which way the wind's blowing, stirring the pot and rustling up the natives to make the flagship publisher a few bucks.
good one Bob. That's why many put the press a notch below lawyers and drug dealers in the hierarchy of slime.

It's legitimate to question the change in coaching structure but I don't think Bob cares one way or another. There's no money in supporting it at this point in time and that's all that matters.

Bingo. Bob is just trying anything to sell papers.

mraynrand
02-23-2015, 11:39 AM
To fix those and Special Teams, McCarthy has given up one of his chief contributions. Play calling isn't rocket science and Clements has plenty of experience and trust with Rodgers, but M3 will need to deliver on his new duties in a spectacular fashion to match his no-longer-available offensive role.

It's hard for me to believe it will be a dramatic cut-off. The offseason to craft game plans. The whole offseason and training camps and practices to rehearse plays for various schemes and situations. The week of preparation. The input/feedback through the headset on the sideline during games. Any feedback during TO/halftime or while the D is on the field. Plenty of opportunities for Stubby to leave a huge impact on the offensive play calling.

pbmax
02-23-2015, 02:07 PM
It's hard for me to believe it will be a dramatic cut-off. The offseason to craft game plans. The whole offseason and training camps and practices to rehearse plays for various schemes and situations. The week of preparation. The input/feedback through the headset on the sideline during games. Any feedback during TO/halftime or while the D is on the field. Plenty of opportunities for Stubby to leave a huge impact on the offensive play calling.

My fear is that his impact will be reduced to when to initiate the 4 minute offense.

gbgary
02-23-2015, 03:22 PM

Carolina_Packer
02-23-2015, 03:37 PM
I don't know if MM ever considered something like this, but what if he had made Clements the associate head coach and made him like a bench coach in baseball, kind of a right hand man that the manager can lean on, bounce ideas off of in-game, and could oversee game day management. Then MM could have retained play calling duties. Perhaps that would have been too confusing for the players to know who was really in charge. I'm sure they'll see a lot more of MM in the meeting rooms now. If that leads to more accountability, I'm glad for it.

wist43
02-24-2015, 07:54 PM
His email Inbox is full of complaints after McCarthy huffed "wouldn't change a thing" at his post game press conference.

He sees the Apocalypse coming over the horizon on the Executive Committee. Though he admits he sees no evidence of this (?). And somehow, Bob manages to come off even-handed while throwing mud at passers-by.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-play-calling-may-best-be-left-to-mike-mccarthy-b99448616z1-293322301.html

Despite his best efforts to make you think the walls are closing in, he does have a point.

The one thing NOT wrong with the offense was play calling. Late game situations, challenge management, injury info from the field and on the bench were all issues.

Lost in all the discussion is that McCarthy DOES need to re-evaluate his strategic approach at the end of halves and close games late (both with a lead and without). But there is no evidence that he will do so, and we don't know whether Clements and Rodgers will be able to do so without his approval.

For all of MM's ability and strengths - he's nothing short of a complete moron in some aspects of game management.

Challenges?? Forget about it... just the dumbest, most idiotic coach in the league - can't imagine anyone is worse.

Clock management?? Terrible... has a bad habit of trying to run the clock out beginning in the 3rd quarter when he has even a modest lead.

Staff management?? How long did it take to fire Slocum?? and Dunderdummy is still in town - no excuse for either situation.

Overall MM is a very good coach - but it was coaching on both sides of the ball, more than anything else that cost us the last 2 Superbowls. We had the player talent to win both of the last 2 Superbowls; but above average, but not quite good enough coaching prevented us from getting it done.

Zool
02-25-2015, 08:09 AM
For all of MM's ability and strengths - he's nothing short of a complete moron in some aspects of game management.

Challenges?? Forget about it... just the dumbest, most idiotic coach in the league - can't imagine anyone is worse.

Clock management?? Terrible... has a bad habit of trying to run the clock out beginning in the 3rd quarter when he has even a modest lead.

Staff management?? How long did it take to fire Slocum?? and Dunderdummy is still in town - no excuse for either situation.

Overall MM is a very good coach - but it was coaching on both sides of the ball, more than anything else that cost us the last 2 Superbowls. We had the player talent to win both of the last 2 Superbowls; but above average, but not quite good enough coaching prevented us from getting it done.

http://misterelevant.com/2014/08/12/the-coaching-challenge-challenge-flag-success-rates/

pbmax
02-25-2015, 08:43 AM
Oddly, McCarthy's chief talent is somehow getting other team's challenges denied even when it looks clear they had a point. He is good for 70% of opponent's challenges rejected.

Somehow.

pbmax
02-25-2015, 08:46 AM
By the way, that JerseyAl dude linked to a packertalknet or something blog that explicitly made the case that the Executive Committee made McCarthy change his role. So expect this as an ill informed meme throughout the offseason.

McGinn is really a master at this.

mraynrand
02-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Oddly, McCarthy's chief talent is somehow getting other team's challenges denied even when it looks clear they had a point. He is good for 70% of opponent's challenges rejected.

Somehow.

I would bet this is due to desperation - coaches challenging questionable stuff, because they are in the process of being crushed and need something anything to stem the tide.

mraynrand
02-25-2015, 09:47 AM

Yap, yap, yap.
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/90/pics/90ksinatra1.jpg

Patler
02-25-2015, 10:22 AM
Regarding the use of challenges, it is not always about expecting to win the challenge. Coaches have developed strategies for using challenges beyond only those plays they think for sure will be reversed, especially as they near the end of the game. Two remarks made by McCarthy in the last couple years come to mind:

- Once he said a challenge was used even though there was only minimal chance of the play being reversed because he wanted a timeout anyway. The challenge would otherwise have gone on unused, and you never know what might show up about possession etc. in the slow motion of a replay. If you wanted to call a timeout anyway, there is no penalty for being wrong on the challenge in that situation, and the timeout for the challenge may be longer than a regular timeout if the goal was to interrupt the other team's momentum.

- Another time when the Packers had the lead and again it was close to the two-minute warning he used a challenge simply because it was such a key play. If something showed up to reverse the call, it could have been game determinative (I think it might've been fourth-down.) Again he said they really didn't expect to win the challenge, but he thought it was worth taking the chance. I think MM has used this purpose several times.

Most often, challenges go on used. If the possible loss of a timeout in the situation is not critical, with all the odd things we have seen come from replays it can be worth the chance even if you don't think you will win the challenge.

Bossman641
02-25-2015, 10:30 AM

The same player talent you constantly harp on as being awful, pathetic, the worst front 7 to ever line up on a field, etc? Sometimes I can't figure you out Wist.

Striker
02-25-2015, 03:04 PM
http://misterelevant.com/2014/08/12/the-coaching-challenge-challenge-flag-success-rates/

Pfft...your facts mean nothing here.

wist43
02-25-2015, 05:55 PM
The same player talent you constantly harp on as being awful, pathetic, the worst front 7 to ever line up on a field, etc? Sometimes I can't figure you out Wist.

The player talent in the front seven was horrid in 2011-12, and TT did next to nothing to fix the problem. Since then he has made a committment to improve the front seven, and I've said that I like most of those players. My complaint has been that in the acquisition of front seven talent TT has not paid any mind to whether they fit a 3-4 or not, and predictably dunderdummy went straight out and misused the talent TT gave him and put up equally predictable abysmal numbers.

Last year was the first year since our SB that dunderdummy actually used the front seven even close to the way they should have been used - and the results were much better. 2013 dunderdummy was a disaster almost the entire year in terms of using the personnel correctly - only in the playoff game against the Niners did he play them correctly.

We had the overall talent to win the last 2 SB's IMO - we didn't win those SB's primarily b/c of dunderdummy, but also b/c of MM in the Seattle game. That said, MM is responsible for the coaching staff, and dunderdummy is still there... so that's on him too.

wist43
02-25-2015, 05:58 PM
I don't care what the stats say about MM's challenge percentage - sometimes the challenge is a no-brainer, i.e. an obviously horrible call on the field, and we all go to the fridge knowing full-well that it will be overturned; but for shear WTF challenges, MM is an artist... for those, you go to the fridge thinking "... WTF is he thinking"??

mraynrand
02-25-2015, 05:59 PM
only in the playoff game against the Niners did he play them correctly.

untrue