PDA

View Full Version : McGinn...Questioning the Hiring of another friend who assisted a failing Special Teams

Bretsky
02-22-2015, 09:15 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/did-packers-mccarthy-make-right-call-with-zook-for-special-teams-b99449492z1-293538271.html

Bretsky
02-22-2015, 09:16 PM
GOOD FOR BOB MCGINN

Right when that Slocum was fired as all I could think of was Fire Zook too.

There were qualified candidates and once again MM hired the assistant of a failed unit.

I wish I were the Packers Assistant Special Teams coach now; I'd have a nice job in about 4 years as well

red
02-22-2015, 09:39 PM
Right when that Slocum was fired as all I could think of was Fire Zook too.

yeah, but only one person on here had enough balls to start a "fire zook thread"

smuggler
02-22-2015, 09:47 PM
http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Orson-Welles-Slow-Clap-Reaction-Gif.gif

mraynrand
02-23-2015, 07:24 AM
DeHaven, 66, assisted Richard Rodgers, the father of the Packers' tight end, in 2013-'14. Earlier this month, Rivera reassigned Rodgers and promoted DeHaven to the No. 1 post.

My strong belief is that Seely, April and, if permitted, DeHaven all would have gone with the Packers in a heartbeat.

Shouldn't Rivera have done a bunch of interviews and hired someone else, Bob? (like Seely and April?) Why is such a great ST coach like DeHaven sitting second on the totem pole at Carolina, of all places? Sounds like Rivera did the same thing as Stubby. Yet...crickets. :crazy:

vince
02-23-2015, 08:02 AM
I don't care if he hires a friend from the coaching fraternity, his own son (like many have done), or Ron Wolf's son - as long as they get the job done. Coaches need to work work well together and past history gives a lot of information about that. Interviews are far less accurate. Time will tell on Zook but it's a little early to conclude it hasn't or won't work. If it works, all will be forgotten, but if it fails, Bob will have predicted it.

mraynrand
02-23-2015, 09:10 AM
After spending the entire column on nonsense, Bob gets to the critical factors in the final lines. Packers draft starters, packers draft TEs over LBs, packers don't draft ST players, (packers haven't devoted the kind of time to ST as other teams have). Still, it's a lot of snarky BS in there. Packers draft and develop with coaches as well as players. Both assistants for ST and DC could eventually take those jobs. In the mean time, Stubby better be right about applying his unique brand of leadership oversight to silence his distractors (like the anonymous ST coach who talks to Bob McGinn, initials: S.S.)

pbmax
02-23-2015, 09:17 AM
After spending the entire column on nonsense, Bob gets to the critical factors in the final lines. Packers draft starters, packers draft TEs over LBs, packers don't draft ST players, (packers haven't devoted the kind of time to ST as other teams have). Still, it's a lot of snarky BS in there. Packers draft and develop with coaches as well as players. Both assistants for ST and DC could eventually take those jobs. In the mean time, Stubby better be right about applying his unique brand of leadership oversight to silence his distractors (like the anonymous ST coach who talks to Bob McGinn, initials: S.S.)

I have no doubt that if veteran buy-in is what was needed, M3 can get that. His relationship with players and their focus is among the things he does best.

Its the weird schemes that have me concerned. He has always advocated aggressive tactics on ST and then there are times they can barely block a return or cover a kick.

pbmax
02-23-2015, 09:23 AM
Yes Bob, this is exactly the way McCarthy and Thompson operate. McGinn wouldn't even draft like this, in a panicky, emotional lather to grab names you know. This article is terrible.

Even before watching that tape, the coach of the Green Bay Packers undoubtedly knew he was going to fire Shawn Slocum.

As ruthless as it might have seemed, McCarthy should have delivered the news to Slocum upon deplaning at Austin Straubel International or no later than the next morning. It's likely Slocum would have appreciated it, too, because he would have had another 12 days to find a job. His pink slip arrived Jan. 30.

McCarthy's next action should have been to get phone numbers for Brad Seely or Bobby April from administrative coordinator Matt Klein or another team staffer and call the two special-teams coordinators before the day was out.

pbmax
02-23-2015, 10:45 AM
Zook is not Slocum. Slouch was legacy of his father. We don't know what he actually knows and has earned.

Zook coordinated a Defense to a National Championship. McGinn treating him like a "buddy" hired for a job he is not qualified for doesn't stand up to immediate scrutiny. If Bob wants to tell us Zook isn't up to coordinating ST, he needs more that a 3 year stint in the 1990s.

Joemailman
02-23-2015, 04:40 PM
I'm starting to thing Bretsky is actually Bob McGinn.

Bretsky
02-23-2015, 09:42 PM
I'm starting to thing Bretsky is actually Bob McGinn.

Bob McGinnn is not that smart............but I do think he steals some of my ideas and used me as a "source" for some of his articles :)))