PDA

View Full Version : Slocum's Final Words

pbmax
02-23-2015, 10:56 AM
On that fateful Sunday, did Shawn Slocum actually say:

"If your name isn't Jordy Nelson or Micah Hyde, don't try to field the ball."

I REALLY doubt that is the message during the game. But given the recent strategy of teams facing onside kicks (sending blockers into the kickoff team), it might be possible. But it doesn't seem like the kind of reminder or encouragement a coach would use mid-game.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/18803/four-things-we-learned-at-the-combine-packers

Don’t blame Slocum: If you want to blame former Green Bay Packers special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum for the botched onside kick recovery in the NFC Championship Game loss to the Seattle Seahawks, you should know this: According to a person familiar with Slocum’s instructions on the sideline, one of the last things he told his hands team before the play was this: "If your name isn't Jordy Nelson or Micah Hyde, don't try to field the ball." Of course, we all know that Brandon Bostick, who was released earlier this week, tried to catch it and failed, allowing the Seahawks to recover. Two weeks later Slocum, whose special teams units were problematic all season and allowed the Seahawks to run a fake field goal for a touchdown, was fired.

Pugger
02-23-2015, 11:37 AM
He may have not said those exact words but from all accounts Bostick didn't follow instructions very well. I thought there was a report that he was told to block the guy who ended up recovering the damn ball.

I also don't buy the idea Slocum was fired because of the NFCC game. His charges had been under-performing for years. Its a wonder he survived as long as he did.

mraynrand
02-23-2015, 12:21 PM
I thought this thread was going to report that Red killed Slocum

mraynrand
02-23-2015, 12:23 PM
BTW, I highly doubt Slocum said exactly that, especially since all sorts of OTHER kinds of crazy things can happen during onside kicks.

Bossman641
02-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Slocum wouldn't be smart enough to point that out

http://dvdmedia.ign.com/media/reviews/image/gladiator/gladiator_3.jpg

Joemailman
02-23-2015, 04:44 PM
I think he said it followed by "Anybody screws this up, I'm taking you down with me."

mission
02-23-2015, 08:13 PM
So why the hell are you running a scheme that allows only 18% of your fielded players to make a play on the ball on the most crucial play of the year???

Joemailman
02-23-2015, 08:56 PM
So why the hell are you running a scheme that allows only 18% of your fielded players to make a play on the ball on the most crucial play of the year???

I think it's hard to argue with the play they had called. They had the kick covered perfectly. Jordy Nelson was in perfect position to grab the ball until Bostick got in the way.

Bretsky
02-23-2015, 09:34 PM
I wonder what he said when Buffalo returned the Punt for a TD, on the 7 blocked kicks, and the TD they gave up

He game me tons of confidence

Bretsky
02-23-2015, 09:36 PM
I vote for who cares.....he consistently Mandariched as a Special Teams Coach

Rutnstrut
02-25-2015, 12:41 AM
Slocums final words. "I would've gotten away with it, if not for those meddling PackerRats"

mraynrand
02-25-2015, 05:00 AM
Slocums final words. "I would've gotten away with it, if not for those meddling PackerRats"

gud one.

Why, it's Mr. Slocum!!!
http://mises.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/phantom_scooby_doo_unmask_1_1750.jpg

MadScientist
02-25-2015, 01:04 PM
Slocum's final words:
"Ow! That door just hit my ass."

Striker
02-25-2015, 03:06 PM
Even if he did, clearly Bostick (who was benched for not being assignment sure) continued to not listen.

The blocked kicks and fake FG would do him in regardless.