PDA

View Full Version : AJ Hawk released

rollo
02-25-2015, 03:42 PM
My first thread better be memorable.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out buddy.

Seriously though, appreciate the efforts throughout the years but it was his time to go.

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 24s24 seconds ago
#Packers have cut LB A.J. Hawk.

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 17s18 seconds ago
#Packers GM Ted Thompson: “A.J. is a consummate Packer and we are grateful for all that he has given and how he represented the organization

SMBASS
02-25-2015, 03:47 PM
@TyDunne: And #Packers ILB A.J. Hawk announces on his podcast that he has been released after nine seasons with the team: http://t.co/f0FzN381aT

@jasonjwilde: Hawk: “I spent nine great years in Green Bay. I had awesome teammates and coaches and a great medical staff and equipment staff."

@jasonjwilde: Hawk: "I loved everything about playing for one of the greatest franchises in all of sports. The fans in Green Bay are incredible."

@TyDunne: Hawk: "The fans in Green Bay are incredible. Between playing at Lambeau Field as well as seeing them on the road, they always supported us."

@TyDunne: More Hawk: "I am looking forward to my next opportunity in the NFL, but I’ll always cherish my years as a Green Bay Packer.”

@TyDunne: So as @TomSilverstein wrote last week, the #Packers will now* be about $30 million under the salary cap. A lot of money to sign their FA's.

Zool
02-25-2015, 03:49 PM
Ding dong the witch is dead!

mission
02-25-2015, 03:51 PM
This forces them to completely revamp the ILBs... I'd suspect at least one middle-tier FA signing and a couple draft picks.

Personally I like Barrington and CM3 rotating. If they could get one of the stud rookies and a good FA as insurance, I'd feel great about the situation.

Just glad to see the bleeding stop today.

Striker
02-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Seems like a good, classy guy. Too bad he never lived up to his lofty top 5 status.

SMBASS
02-25-2015, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately Hawk never ended up being the player I thought he would be. Never really, "hated" the guy as he seemed to be a good person and teammate but our ILB play has been putrid for so long I'm really looking forward to some upgrades in that area.

red
02-25-2015, 03:56 PM
wow

now we are in a tough spot

we have 1 ILB on the roster

Bossman641
02-25-2015, 04:09 PM
I didn't think they could cut him yet cause he just had surgery. Don't players have to pass a medical in order to be cut?

Anyways, thanks for the service but ready for some new blood.

SMBASS
02-25-2015, 04:11 PM
I didn't think they could cut him yet cause he just had surgery. Don't players have to pass a medical in order to be cut?

Anyways, thanks for the service but ready for some new blood.

I'm guessing there is some type of injury settlement included in his release.

Rutnstrut
02-25-2015, 04:17 PM
Hopefully some of his durability rubbed off on Clay, I won't hold my breath on that one though. I have always liked Hawk and the fact that you could count on him to play, it's too bad he couldn't be dependable and good.

Joemailman
02-25-2015, 04:19 PM
Hawk never was a great player, but he made a significant contribution to this team winning a Super Bowl. I'm glad they're making these changes, but he has my respect.

Tony Oday
02-25-2015, 04:19 PM
Is Brad Jones gone yet? Never hated Hawk but we can do better!

pbmax
02-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Wow. Did not expect this. Thought there would be one more year.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 10m10 minutes ago
Hawk said he realized early in the season he'd need MRI on his ankle once the season was over. Doesn't believe it affected his play.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 24m24 minutes ago
Hawk found out he was released last week. #Packers waited until he was back from charity cruise to announce.

Michael Tanier ‏@MikeTanier 35m35 minutes ago
So ends the #Packers career of AJ Hawk, who was so overrated he was underrated that he was overrated.

Bossman641
02-25-2015, 04:23 PM
Is Brad Jones gone yet? Never hated Hawk but we can do better!

Jones got cut last week.

Bossman641
02-25-2015, 04:24 PM
Wow. Did not expect this. Thought there would be one more year.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 10m10 minutes ago
Hawk said he realized early in the season he'd need MRI on his ankle once the season was over. Doesn't believe it affected his play.

Ya I was expecting him to return as a backup

Tony Oday
02-25-2015, 04:36 PM
Awesome, been actually working not screwing around on the internet! ;) We will be drafting heavy on LBs this year!

Carolina_Packer
02-25-2015, 04:36 PM
I agree with those who have given him props for being a solid, steady contributor with flashes, but generally did not take over games with his talent. In some respects, he was never asked to. I think he is a stand-up guy, and his leadership will be missed. If you think Barrington is our thumper, then we need a chase/cover linebacker, and that guy is probably not on the roster right now. I don't know if there is a C.J. Mosely or Ryan Shazier available this year, but Ted will find someone. They have to now!

Current ILB Depth Chart

http://i62.tinypic.com/34ni25c.jpg

Here are all the LB's...which ones would be candidates for going to ILB? Joe Thomas was making a name in TC last year. Could he step up?

http://i59.tinypic.com/i1ibn5.jpg

King Friday
02-25-2015, 04:45 PM
AJ Hawk was a good player for the Packers...and he probably still has a few years left in the league somewhere as a situational player. However, he wasn't worth the value of his contract anymore...and it was time for Green Bay to move on and find an upgrade.

pbmax
02-25-2015, 04:55 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 14m14 minutes ago
Per official #NFL transaction wire, #Packers LB A.J. Hawk was waived/failed physical.

Joemailman
02-25-2015, 05:13 PM
I agree with those who have given him props for being a solid, steady contributor with flashes, but generally did not take over games with his talent. In some respects, he was never asked to. I think he is a stand-up guy, and his leadership will be missed. If you think Barrington is our thumper, then we need a chase/cover linebacker, and that guy is probably not on the roster right now. I don't know if there is a C.J. Mosely or Ryan Shazier available this year, but Ted will find someone. They have to now!

Current ILB Depth Chart

http://i62.tinypic.com/34ni25c.jpg

Here are all the LB's...which ones would be candidates for going to ILB? Joe Thomas was making a name in TC last year. Could he step up?

http://i59.tinypic.com/i1ibn5.jpg

Bradford and Palmer will get a long look when OTA's start in the spring. Thomas needs to bulk up a bit if that weight is accurate.

I don't think there's anyone as good as Mosely or Shazier in this year's draft. There is probably value in the 3-4 round at ILB.

Smidgeon
02-25-2015, 05:17 PM
The most impressive thing? Played 142 of 144 games.

red
02-25-2015, 05:34 PM
bad day for the top of the 2006 draft

lions release reggie bush also

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-25-2015, 05:48 PM
Hawk was a solid, but not great, player for the packers. I'm glad he was a packer and glad he is gone. Excited to see who they bring in to replace him. I believe even a small improvement in talent at this position will make huge improvements in our defense.

esoxx
02-25-2015, 05:49 PM
Burn in hell!

Pugger
02-25-2015, 05:50 PM
Bradford and Palmer will get a long look when OTA's start in the spring. Thomas needs to bulk up a bit if that weight is accurate.

I don't think there's anyone as good as Mosely or Shazier in this year's draft. There is probably value in the 3-4 round at ILB.

From all accounts this isn't a stellar year for ILBs at the top anyway so Ted most likely will find a mid-level FA and a couple draft picks on the second day.

wist43
02-25-2015, 06:00 PM
Hawk had an average career - maybe even slightly below average career.

Good riddance.

mraynrand
02-25-2015, 06:06 PM
Burn in hell!

I loved everything about playing for one of the greatest franchises in all of sports. The fans in Green Bay are incredible.

I'm betting Esoxx isn't in Green Bay.

mraynrand
02-25-2015, 06:08 PM
Best Wishes to George Koonce.

esoxx
02-25-2015, 07:35 PM
I'm betting Esoxx isn't in Green Bay.

I'm still in stage two phase from Seattle loss; anger.

hoosier
02-25-2015, 07:57 PM
The most impressive thing? Played 142 of 144 games.

Yeah, both a blessing and a curse.

King Friday
02-25-2015, 08:12 PM
Hawk had an average career - maybe even slightly below average career.

Good riddance.

Actually Wist, you are very wrong.

Compared to other guys taken at #5 overall within a few years of Hawk, he was surprisingly ABOVE average.

Everyone on here seems to think that the #5 pick ALWAYS becomes a HOF player...but that is actually far from true.

Patler
02-25-2015, 08:19 PM
I wonder if anyone like Mulumba, Perry or Neal could play inside in some situations.

call_me_ishmael
02-25-2015, 08:20 PM
AJ is all class. I have mixed feelings. It's clear he's not a great player anymore but he seems like a genuinely good dude. Hard not to root for him and appreciate him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZCfmlJN510&feature=youtu.be

Patler
02-25-2015, 08:41 PM
Maybe AJ and his brother-in-law can sell themselves as a package deal:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?27683-Big-news-on-QB-FA-front!

KYPack
02-25-2015, 09:02 PM
I'm still in stage two phase from Seattle loss; anger.

I'm in a mid stage, too.

My brother called me Monday and asked if I was done being pissed off.

Said, "I guess so".

Cheesehead Craig
02-25-2015, 09:36 PM
AJ was durable as hell and really was what the injury prone Packers defense needed for a long time. I never thought he was going to be a multi year Pro-Bowl player when we drafted him, but I appreciated what he did do. As others have said, he'll always have my respect. Never whined, never complained.

smuggler
02-25-2015, 10:24 PM
I don't see how this is anything but a step forward for the Packers.

George Cumby
02-25-2015, 10:48 PM
AJ is all class. I have mixed feelings. It's clear he's not a great player anymore but he seems like a genuinely good dude. Hard not to root for him and appreciate him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZCfmlJN510&feature=youtu.be

This. The guy had a solid career. Burdened by the expectations of his position in a weak draft he disappointed lots of fans. Had he been taken even in the late first round, the Choir of Haters would be much quieter.

921 combined tackles, 19 sacks and 33 passes defensed. Not spectacular but dependable.

By all accounts a good person, teammate and Packer, I'm sorry to see him go. I wish him the best but sure hope we can replace with someone more dynamic.

Patler
02-26-2015, 06:14 AM
I think most think of Chad Greenway as having a much better career. I am surprised at how close their stats are in sacks, interceptions and passes defensed:

A.J. Hawk - 19 sacks, 9 int., 33 passes defensed, 921 tackles, 3 fumbles forced.
Greenway -15.5 sacks, 9 int., 30 passes defensed, 992 tackles, 8 fumbles forced.

Hawk has played 142 games, Greenway 124

Carolina_Packer
02-26-2015, 06:55 AM
I think most think of Chad Greenway as having a much better career. I am surprised at how close their stats are in sacks, interceptions and passes defensed:

A.J. Hawk - 19 sacks, 9 int., 33 passes defensed, 921 tackles, 3 fumbles forced.
Greenway -15.5 sacks, 9 int., 30 passes defensed, 992 tackles, 8 fumbles forced.

Hawk has played 142 games, Greenway 124

At least Hawk contributed a lot better than this former #6 pick: http://www.mynfldraft.com/1981

Man, Green Bay was baaadddd at drafting in those days.

I wonder what the percent chance of a player making it in the league by draft round. If you look at the 2006 draft first round, there are some definite busts in the first round, so from that standpoint, you have to be happy with what A.J. was able to bring to the table. http://www.mynfldraft.com/2006 Of the guys draft #7 or later, can you say you would have rather had too many others, relative to what was available? Ngata...yes, Hali...yes Green Bay was running a 4-3 at that point, so they were probably not seen as the best fit, but I think they would have been as productive in Green Bay as they were with the teams they ended up with.

Patler
02-26-2015, 07:22 AM
2006 is a great example of why you can't gauge a player's draft position relative to those of other years. In any year a GM can choose from only those who are available. Looking at the 2006 1st round, there certainly are a lot who didn't do much. Hawk doesn't look so bad relative to what was available that year. A few you would like to have had instead, but not that many.

As one of the articles pointed out, Hawk is a great example of why we shouldn't get too hung up on combine numbers. He had very good numbers for a linebacker, but didn't play that way.

mraynrand
02-26-2015, 10:22 AM
2006 is a great example of why you can't gauge a player's draft position relative to those of other years. In any year a GM can choose from only those who are available. Looking at the 2006 1st round, there certainly are a lot who didn't do much. Hawk doesn't look so bad relative to what was available that year. A few you would like to have had instead, but not that many.

As one of the articles pointed out, Hawk is a great example of why we shouldn't get too hung up on combine numbers. He had very good numbers for a linebacker, but didn't play that way.

yeah, and drafts are ripe for retrospective shoulda couldas. It's always very very easy to craft alternative great scenarios. But, at the time, there were a few, including the Urinal Scented's own, Sunday Scabies, 'Scoops' McGinn, who thought the Pack shoulda traded down and picked Ngata.

pbmax
02-26-2015, 10:46 AM
Spot Pete Dougherty's error:

But the scouts going into that draft who were concerned that he'd maxed out at Ohio State proved to be correct. He was constant and assignment-dependable at middle linebacker when the Packers played a 4-3 and inside linebacker when they switched to a 3-4 in 2009, but he wasn't a difference maker in any sense, even the year he went to the Pro Bowl in 2010.

Given the number of fronts the Packers line up in, it might technically be true, but doesn't really convey AJ's Packer time.

George Cumby
02-26-2015, 10:55 AM
When Packers played 4-3, Hawk was outside.

pbmax
02-26-2015, 10:57 AM
When Packers played 4-3, Hawk was outside.

Yep. He wasn't middle at ALL. Was WOLB. Now for an OLB, he was perhaps short, but not by much for a 4-3 where he would not be rushing the passer. And there are a lot of very good 5-11, 6-0 ILBs today in the game.

red
02-26-2015, 10:57 AM
yet, he was the WLB, the playmaker of the 4-3

he was never MLB when we ran the 4-3

George Cumby
02-26-2015, 11:04 AM
Also, iirc, many of the reports on Hawk at the time indicated he was NFL ready, which was true, his rookie year was pretty good.

Also, Iirc, a lot of teams liked him and would have taken him, given the chance.

LP
02-26-2015, 01:53 PM
Never whined, never complained.
Guess he won't be posting here.

Zool
02-26-2015, 01:55 PM

/thread?

Rutnstrut
02-26-2015, 09:34 PM
From all accounts this isn't a stellar year for ILBs at the top anyway so Ted most likely will find a mid-level FA and a couple draft picks on the second day.

That's what he would do any year.

smuggler
02-26-2015, 10:19 PM
it's actually not completely true to say that Hawk never played middle linebacker because when Barnett was injured they did occasionally put Hawk in the middle. I thought that was where he played the best honestly.

Guiness
02-26-2015, 10:56 PM
What about the timing of this? Did he have any money that he was going to earn in the next little while or have a guarantee that activated? I don't think so. I guess they decided his time was up with the team and didn't even want him around in camp.

vince
02-27-2015, 12:32 AM
Ted don't need no stinkin draft.

Packers sign Indoor Football League's Josh Francis, ILB. (http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/2/26/8114177/packers-sign-ilb-josh-francis-from-wichita-falls-nighthawks-of-ifl)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4b2kW-V3YM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPOKqwa9aTg

woodbuck27
02-27-2015, 07:05 AM
Jones got cut last week.

I've taken a break fr. Winter and not up to date. I learned yesterday that Hawk was released.
The first ? that came to mind...... Brad Jones? I felt releasing him was important for the immediate future.

Free Agents available and not in any order:

David Harris NY Jets ...v. solid yet aging and likely costly. he might sign with the Pack as it's a huge change fr. NY and the Jets LOL. Part of a two year program window for the right cost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Spikes

Brandon Spikes (Buffalo Bills) Good Vs the Rush and he hit hard (intimidation). The cost should be good for TT but will he get away from Buffalo? I loved him as a Patriot

Rolondo McClain (Dallas Boys) Has had some personal issues that may exclude him (RISK);a past with injuries but he was solid last season...

Rey Maualuga (NY Jets) ... Will TT like his upside? and he should be affordable.

Mason Foster Tampa Bay BUC's ... I like this guy if he can fit into *^&??1? Dom Capers %&^@!?#! 3-4 'whatever it is 'D' ?

OK I have to finally get this off my chest hahaha ... because of all things in NFCC 2014-15 this is my worst complaint.

Damn I'll hopefully :???: not forget the way Seattle street slapped the Packers on the 1st and 10 play that never gave Aaron Rodgers and the Packers Aaron Rodgers led 'O' [/B] a fricken chance. How that never got him FIRED I'll never know?? I play Texas Hold'Em and I'm positive if Dom Capers was sitting at my five table his $$$$$$ would be mine.

A Stupid silly untrustworthy man (without a check on his loser nonsence) until just maybe Mike McCarthy gets to doing his job of managing. As Bill Belichick often says...Mike McCarthy 'just do your job' and toughen the hell up.

TT will get try to get help at ILB in FA if the right fit is there in FA and after that it's the Draft.

Isn't the 4-3 D the best option? :

Depth Chart:

http://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart.html

Roster:

http://www.packers.com/team/players.html

Pugger
02-27-2015, 08:32 AM

:lol:

Joemailman
02-27-2015, 08:54 AM
What about the timing of this? Did he have any money that he was going to earn in the next little while or have a guarantee that activated? I don't think so. I guess they decided his time was up with the team and didn't even want him around in camp.

They saved a million. His contract this year had an 800,000 roster bonus and 250,000 workout bonus.

mraynrand
02-27-2015, 11:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPOKqwa9aTg

He plays like a quarterback out there!

mraynrand
02-27-2015, 11:34 AM
I like how Francis never gives up on plays, but still doesn't throw interceptions.

Maxie the Taxi
02-27-2015, 01:08 PM
Ted don't need no stinkin draft.

Packers sign Indoor Football League's Josh Francis, ILB. (http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/2/26/8114177/packers-sign-ilb-josh-francis-from-wichita-falls-nighthawks-of-ifl)

Francis "measured in at 5' 11-3/4" and 228 pounds, ran a 4.65-second forty-yard dash, and put up 25 reps on the bench press." That might say something about who TT is likely to draft at ILB.

Shaq Thompson, Denzel Perryman and Eric Kendricks have the same size (Perryman is 236 lbs and an inch shorter) and similar measurables.

Benardrick McKinney is 6'4" 246 lbs. McKinney ran a 4.66 at the combine but looks slower on the field than the other three.

On the other hand, Paul Dawson is 6'0" 235 lbs and ran like a brick (4.93).

It would surprise me if TT drafted Dawson, but he's surprised me before.:-)

mraynrand
02-27-2015, 01:11 PM
Francis "measured in at 5' 11-3/4" and 228 pounds, ran a 4.65-second forty-yard dash, and put up 25 reps on the bench press." That might say something about who TT is likely to draft at ILB.

Slow Shazier!