PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks Targeting Tramontana

pbmax
03-05-2015, 12:58 AM
According to the voices in Bob McGinn's head.

http://t.co/MwJo1RY368

Patler
03-05-2015, 04:44 AM
Interesting contract numbers in the article:

Meanwhile, the Packers have told Williams they'll take him back on a two-year contract worth $8 million, according to a source. The team's proposal was rejected.

Williams would prefer returning to Green Bay but is seeking a three- or even four-year contract averaging at least $5 million. The source said Williams wanted significant guaranteed money as protection against being released.

Williams has been very public about his preference for returning to GB. The length of the contract is relatively irrelevant to the team, if the guaranteed portion is acceptable. Williams wants $5M/yr, the team has offered $4M; the difference seems manageable. The hang-up seems to be the guaranteed portion. Peppers 3 year deal is for a significantly higher average, but had a signing bonus of just $7.5. The Packers generally are willing to pay well, just won't guarantee a lot for older players. If Williams finds that others aren't willing to guarantee $8-10M or more on a three or four year deal, it looks like he could be back in GB.

I wonder if they have made an offer to House, or if this indicates their preference is for Williams.

Patler
03-05-2015, 07:17 AM
Some interesting info from another article about Williams in the GBPG:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2015/03/04/free-agent-countdown-cb-tramon-williams/24399299/

Williams has played in 140 of a possible 141 games since then and epitomized dependability. His 22 interceptions since 2010 (including playoffs) trail only Seattle's Richard Sherman for most among NFL defenders.

Williams' ability to hold off the hands of time can't be discounted, either. He played more snaps (1,134) than any other defensive player in 2014.

But. ...... are these stats from 2014 an indication that the end is here?

According to Pro Football Focus, opposing quarterbacks completed 63-of-98 passes (64.3 percent) for 743 yards and eight touchdowns against Williams' coverage for a 101.7 passer rating, the highest of his career.

pbmax
03-05-2015, 09:31 AM
Williams has never been a darling of advanced stats (sometimes it looks like he shouldn't be starting) but even I was surprised by how much they said Shields outplayed him this year.

Patler
03-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Williams has never been a darling of advanced stats (sometimes it looks like he shouldn't be starting) but even I was surprised by how much they said Shields outplayed him this year.

House, too; which makes me wonder who the Packers prefer if $ isn't an issue.

red
03-05-2015, 11:00 AM

shocking, cause my eyes told me shields had a shitty year, tramon had a better year then last year and house was a JAG

Tony Oday
03-05-2015, 01:29 PM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/3/5/8156029/tramon-williams-reportedly-rejects-two-year-deal-worth-8-million

Rejected a great deal...

mraynrand
03-05-2015, 01:35 PM
I thought targeting was illegal - or is that only in college football?

mraynrand
03-05-2015, 01:37 PM
"The source said Williams wanted significant guaranteed money as protection against being released."

it's all about the GM.

vince
03-06-2015, 12:48 AM
Not too surprising that Tramon doesn't like that deal at this point. He's made twice that much for the last few years.

Even so, this doesn't make sense... At the key time for position jockeying by agents, the SEAHAWKS are chasing an old corner who might be losing a step and who doesn't tackle real well? I could see Williams being their second or third choice but not their first. Seattle could be using him as a decoy for who they're really interested in which would be pretty convenient for Williams to play along with too.

Bretsky
03-06-2015, 06:37 AM
Interesting contract numbers in the article:

Williams has been very public about his preference for returning to GB. The length of the contract is relatively irrelevant to the team, if the guaranteed portion is acceptable. Williams wants $5M/yr, the team has offered $4M; the difference seems manageable. The hang-up seems to be the guaranteed portion. Peppers 3 year deal is for a significantly higher average, but had a signing bonus of just $7.5. The Packers generally are willing to pay well, just won't guarantee a lot for older players. If Williams finds that others aren't willing to guarantee $8-10M or more on a three or four year deal, it looks like he could be back in GB.

I wonder if they have made an offer to House, or if this indicates their preference is for Williams.

I would give Williams between 5=6MIL on a two year deal
Cap is going up; use it on the guys who want to stay here if there are any

Pugger
03-06-2015, 07:51 AM
Not too surprising that Tramon doesn't like that deal at this point. He's made twice that much for the last few years.

Even so, this doesn't make sense... At the key time for position jockeying by agents, the SEAHAWKS are chasing an old corner who might be losing a step and who doesn't tackle real well? I could see Williams being their second or third choice but not their first. Seattle could be using him as a decoy for who they're really interested in which would be pretty convenient for Williams to play along with too.

I too don't understand why Seattle would want to pursue an aging CB like Williams either, especially for the money TWill supposedly wants. I suspect Tramon is going to be disappointed when FA begins and will end up returning to us in the end like James Jones did a couple of years ago.

Patler
03-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Williams is a puzzle to me. The stats I quoted earlier are troubling:

According to Pro Football Focus, opposing quarterbacks completed 63-of-98 passes (64.3 percent) for 743 yards and eight touchdowns against Williams' coverage for a 101.7 passer rating, the highest of his career.

As a team, the Packers yielded 333 of 564 (59%) for 3623 yards, and 26 TDs for a QB rating of 82.0. Williams looks to have been a bit of a weak link in the pass defense. Of course, that judgement has to be tempered by the recognition that he played more snaps than any other player on defense. That impacted the raw numbers; however, the completion percentage and opposing QB rate are a concern and not elevated from having played more.

Cheesehead Craig
03-06-2015, 11:54 AM
I would give Williams between 5=6MIL on a two year deal
Cap is going up; use it on the guys who want to stay here if there are any

Hey Bretsky, the Jagoff has left. Any thoughts on the new autosig?

bobblehead
03-06-2015, 12:01 PM

Shields gets no love around here. I often wonder what games people are watching. He all but stonewalled Dez Bryant....tell me how many DBs played dez as well as shields did?

bobblehead
03-06-2015, 12:02 PM
shocking, cause my eyes told me shields had a shitty year, tramon had a better year then last year and house was a JAG

I rest my case. You think Jones is shitty (correct), but then you come back with this. I just don't get it. Shields is a stud who shuts down #1's. What isn't to like?

Patler
03-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Yet neither Shields nor Williams could slow down Julio Jones at all. Only Davon House put up resistance against him, breaking up several passes once he got into the game.

bobblehead
03-06-2015, 12:20 PM
Yet neither Shields nor Williams could slow down Julio Jones at all. Only Davon House put up resistance against him, breaking up several passes once he got into the game.

MM put them into counting possessions mindset. I fully believe that. They were both playing soft as shit against him, avoiding the "big play". And as I have said, once you start playing that way, it takes until next sunday to get it back. House on the other hand came in cold and hungry.

pbmax
03-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Shields gets no love around here. I often wonder what games people are watching. He all but stonewalled Dez Bryant....tell me how many DBs played dez as well as shields did?

Two things I can think of. One, he does allow some long plays. The second is the bail zone coverage where Hyde or Hayward has short and Shields is running deep. A lot of passes get completed into that gap and Shields is in the vicinity, and gets the blame unless Hyde tips the ball.

red
03-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Two things I can think of. One, he does allow some long plays. The second is the bail zone coverage where Hyde or Hayward has short and Shields is running deep. A lot of passes get completed into that gap and Shields is in the vicinity, and gets the blame unless Hyde tips the ball.

this could very well be why i think he's not that great. a lot of big plays or big completions with him being the closest guy, but not really close

and didn't he miss a lot of tackles?

Joemailman
03-06-2015, 04:15 PM
Originally I didn't think Tramon would be back. But when I hear that he wants a 3-4 year deal at 5 mil per and the Packers are offering a 2 year deal at 4 mil per, that sounds close enough that they should be able to work out a deal. Especially since Tramon has made it clear he'd like to stay in Green Bay.

pbmax
03-06-2015, 06:41 PM
That is something to remember. The leaks about team intentions are coming from agents, who have a vested interest in driving up the market by generating (sometimes puffed up) interest from multiple teams.

Joemailman
03-13-2015, 04:19 PM
Dear TT and TWill,

Just get the damn contract done and signed already. That is all.

Sincerely,

Joemailman

mraynrand
03-13-2015, 04:44 PM
MM put them into counting possessions mindset. I fully believe that. They were both playing soft as shit against him, avoiding the "big play". And as I have said, once you start playing that way, it takes until next sunday to get it back. House on the other hand came in cold and hungry.

probably your best post in months.

woodbuck27
03-15-2015, 03:48 AM
Ok so shit. SCREW the Seahawks. There's no damn way he gets to go to Seattle as what a fight for NO. 2 CB behind Richard Sherman ...... and now on then other side.

Compromise TT. 2 Years at 5 million. 6 Million guaranteed.

We cannot afford to lose a CB.

Sign him already Mr. Thompson.

Even if he's up and down where does TT want to be at that position entering the DRAFT?

PACKERS !

SkinBasket
03-15-2015, 05:41 AM
[QUOTE=woodbuck27;830866]Even if he's up and down where does TT want to be at that position entering the DRAFT?/QUOTE]

Obviously he has no plan, which has been proven time and time again by those like you who wail and lament his careless, uncalculated decisions which have led this team to ruin season after season. Excellent post.

smuggler
03-15-2015, 08:12 AM
I'd think 2/7 fully gtd with some escalators that could boost his salary.

pbmax
03-15-2015, 09:36 AM
I'd think 2/7 fully gtd with some escalators that could boost his salary.

I think they were offering $4 mil per earlier. Not sure about guarantee.

pittstang5
03-15-2015, 09:59 AM
The longer this plays out, the more I think TWill isn't coming back. The CB FA market is bare. Culliver - the last remaining FA CB that I would have been good with signing, signed with the Redskins on Friday. There is no one else out there worth a damn IMO. If TT wanted TWill back, I'd think he'd be back by now. OR maybe TWill is butt hurt and doesn't want to come back.

Letting House go and regardless if Twill is signed back or not - You can bet TT is taking a CB early in April.

mraynrand
03-15-2015, 10:52 AM
The longer this plays out, the more I think TWill isn't coming back. The CB FA market is bare. Culliver - the last remaining FA CB that I would have been good with signing, signed with the Redskins on Friday. There is no one else out there worth a damn IMO. If TT wanted TWill back, I'd think he'd be back by now. OR maybe TWill is butt hurt and doesn't want to come back.

Letting House go and regardless if Twill is signed back or not - You can bet TT is taking a CB early in April.

so you think corner will be the #1 pick? Who will it be?

mraynrand
03-15-2015, 10:54 AM
I'm biased in Twill's favor. INTs in the 2010 playoffs and then 2013 the guy turns around the playoff game versus SF with his INT and then goes after Kapernick during the return. I love his competitiveness. Plus, he tackled a whole lot better second half of 2014. It's worth a little more to have a guy like that on the team. Unless of course, he just can't go anymore.

mraynrand
03-15-2015, 10:59 AM
I'd like to see the Packers get Byron Jones from Uconn. He's their kinda guy. Tons of experience as a starter and leader; height and speed measurables. Might get priced out of the market if he's too fast at pro day. Injury may drop value...

pittstang5
03-15-2015, 11:04 AM
so you think corner will be the #1 pick? Who will it be?

Could be. When I say early, I'm thinking 1st - 3rd rounds. A lot depends on who's available. But, TT has ignored positions that we all thought he would target in the draft, so who knows.

mraynrand
03-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Could be. When I say early, I'm thinking 1st - 3rd rounds. A lot depends on who's available. But, TT has ignored positions that we all thought he would target in the draft, so who knows.

good points. And I was poking you a bit. I think the draft starts on April 30, so only the first round is in April, no? :wink:

pittstang5
03-15-2015, 11:17 AM
good points. And I was poking you a bit. I think the draft starts on April 30, so only the first round is in April, no? :wink:

Ah ha - didn't realize the draft was at the very end April.

Good one. :-)

red
03-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Could be. When I say early, I'm thinking 1st - 3rd rounds. A lot depends on who's available. But, TT has ignored positions that we all thought he would target in the draft, so who knows..

even if we lose Twill

i'm not sure we're all that desperate for a CB. we got shields, he's paid as a #1, then the team is pretty high on both hyde and hayward.

we need depth, but i don't know if we need top of the draft talent.

i think we will have enough of a need, where if a player drops and he's good value for the position we could take him, unlike, say QB.

but IMO, its not a massive must need priority

its not like ILB where we HAVE to draft 1 or 2 in the first few rounds

Joemailman
03-15-2015, 01:23 PM
ยป The Browns are hosting Tramon Williams on Sunday, according to Rapoport. Cleveland is looking for help at cornerback. Williams previously met with the Saints.

He must really be unhappy with the offers he's gotten thus far.

mraynrand
03-15-2015, 03:22 PM
He must really be unhappy with the offers he's gotten thus far.

and Cleveland is desperate because they are stupid. Lost Buster Skrine for 4/25 when they probably could have had him for a song a few months earlier. But no one is capable of evaluating and projecting future talent. Thank god for TT.

pbmax
03-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Surprised none of the Packer FAs (or even FAs to be prior to signing) have not been courted harder by the Raiders and Reggie.