PDA

View Full Version : Favre: Young Packers running out of time

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Associated Press
Posted: 12 hours ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) - Brett Favre still sees talent on offense, and understands it will take some time for the Green Bay Packers' young players to blossom.

But after a rough outing at Cincinnati and with the preseason finale against Tennessee only two days away, Favre seems impatient with the progress his revamped offense is making.

"We have a long ways to go, but a short time to do it," Favre said Wednesday, venting moderate hints of frustration to - and at - reporters in a tenser-than-usual group interview session.

Favre says he and the team are running out of time to work out the kinks in their new-look offense.

"It is preseason. Call it what you want," Favre said. "But you'd like to be able to gauge something off these games, and I don't know. I really don't. There's a lot of potential, but that in itself doesn't get it done."

In the wake of a 48-17 loss at Cincinnati on Monday night, Favre said he heard "numerous people" saying that it's better to get mistakes out of the way during the preseason, a bit of long-standing NFL logic that Favre doesn't necessarily buy.

The games might not count, but the mistakes do.

"Yeah, we got it out of our system. That sounds great," Favre said. "But you don't want to carry that over. If you're going to make mistakes, make them now and be able to correct them and get better off of them."

Favre made a few mistakes of his own Monday night. He lost a fumble that was run back for a touchdown and had a tipped pass intercepted.

"I'm my own worst critic," Favre said. "I want to play perfectly, and there's only one way I know how to play and that is aggressive. At times it's not pretty. Does it hurt the team at times? I don't know, I'll leave that up to you guys to decide. But I will go down swinging."

Favre said he did see some positive developments after reviewing game film of the Cincinnati loss. The pass protection was improved, he said, and rookie guards Jason Spitz and Tony Moll played well.

But Favre said the team still needs to improve its running game and find the "right mix" in the passing game.

Favre didn't quite know what to expect in the preseason, but isn't surprised at the offense's uneven performance. The offense looked lost in its preseason opener at San Diego on Aug. 12, but performed well in a home game against Atlanta the following week.

"I'm not that surprised by the up and down part of it, because there is a lot of inexperience and some new guys we're trying to fit in," Favre said.

In addition to the two rookie guards in the starting lineup, the Packers are trying to install a new zone-blocking system and are looking for a No. 2 receiver to emerge, a role that could fall to another rookie, Greg Jennings.

Favre said the young players are looking for leadership.

"It's kind of like being on a camping trip and you're waiting for someone to lead you on a hike or a fishing trip," Favre said. "Where do we go next? What do we do? Not that someone in that group couldn't do it themselves. It's kind of like, is it my place to do it? Let's wait for this person to show us where we're going on a horseback ride or whatever. How do we saddle the horse? That's kind of what it seems like to me."

But the homespun analogies quickly came to a halt as Favre's impatience extended to the media.

Asked whether he had thought about the possibility young players might not hit their stride this year, Favre said, "It might not be. What do you want me to do, quit? You're asking me this question, I'm well aware of it. Are you saying that it's not worth it?

"I'd love to play for everyone, but I'm not that good. (I've) got enough to worry about myself. ... I have enough people telling me I'm too old and can't do it."

Favre is cutting back on some media accessibility this year. He says he will resume talking to reporters after games - something he cut out at the end of last season, as questions about his potential retirement dominated Cheesehead Nation - but will cut back his midweek interview sessions from once a week to once every other week.

Favre said it was more fun to talk when the Packers were winning.

"Everybody was having a good time," Favre said. "Now, it seems like every time something's brought up, it's negative: 'You guys may not be that good this year, are you well aware of that? Are you going to be around next year?' If you were up here, what would you want to do?"

All his concerns aside, Favre said he still enjoys football.

"Do I enjoy losing? No, but I enjoy the challenge of competing every week and I have no idea what to expect this year, I really don't," Favre said. "Is that scary? Not really. I'd love to think we're going to the Super Bowl. But we have to worry about winning a game first."

mmmdk
08-31-2006, 10:21 AM
Yup, I saw the whole news conf. and Favre was pretty frank. I think growing pains are inevitable and I think the Packers will stink in september but still scrap out a win. Throughout the season we'll see better play but a winning season would be a miracle.

Ballboy
08-31-2006, 10:27 AM
what I found most interesting about this topic is the fact he talks about a leader on the team....do we have one? Yeah, I suppose Brett is the untalked leader, but I don't see him as the vocal leader, getting into players faces on the sidelines.

Why not Donal Driver? He will be here for a few more years, he is sort of loud and likes the spotlight? DD, get loud, get in players faces, be a cheerleader on the sidelines.

Say what you will about Ray Lewis, but one thing you cannot take from him is his will to win, get in players faces, cheer for both the offense and defense.....just gettin people jacked up!!!

MJZiggy
08-31-2006, 10:42 AM
Welcome to the forum Ballboy. I thought Brett was the undisputed leader on offense (with Hendo jumping in there sometimes) and Manuel was emerging as a leader there. I've heard that through his whole rehab he's been standing on the sidelines yelling instructions like a coach. We do need a Reggie, though.

PA Pack Fan
08-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Hey Ziggy,
Get rid of your stupid sig emblem. Looks retarded.

Homer Jay
08-31-2006, 11:04 AM
I liked this Brett Favre. My favorite answer was "I know this might be a tough year, but,what do you want me to do, quit?" I think he was telling his young teammates that it was time for them to step up and stop waiting for somebody else to do it. It seems like he is getting tired of the "experts" and the constant gloom and doom questions. I still look for a big year from # 4.

RashanGary
08-31-2006, 11:08 AM
Favre has a very harsh and clear reality to face. Almost every player on the Packers roster is worse now than they will be in 3 years.

Favre is about to undergo a very rough season with growing pains that he will never get to benefit from. By the time Hawk, Jennings, Collins, Spitz and Moll are good NFL players, Aaron Rodgers will be enjoying Favre's tough work.

The fact is, the Packers are young, inexperienced and in many ways a bad football team. They have alot of young promising pieces and many will probably contribute early but they are not vets. They are good for their experinece level but bad when compared to other starters.

Favre doesn't deserve this crappy team, but he had his chances with great ones and part of life is dealing with the hard times too. He needs to man up, shut the fuk up and play his best. It's going to be hard but whining like a fuking pansie gets not respect or empathy from me. Just do your damn job and retire if you don't like it.

jack's smirking revenge
08-31-2006, 11:08 AM
I guess I got a different read from the interview. I thought he sounded frustrated and impatient. I think his "frankness" is good because it will motivate the team, but it sounds to me like he knows the team isn't where it should be or where he thought it would be and he is stuck. I guess the impression I got is kind of a "I didn't build this team, I'm not leading this team" attitude. Not necessarily negative, but what I'd expect from a QB who is on the doorstep of retirement and wants a greater exit than what he's anticipating.

To me, he sounded submissive.

tyler

Packnut
08-31-2006, 11:09 AM
I liked this Brett Favre. My favorite answer was "I know this might be a tough year, but,what do you want me to do, quit?" I think he was telling his young teammates that it was time for them to step up and stop waiting for somebody else to do it. It seems like he is getting tired of the "experts" and the constant gloom and doom questions. I still look for a big year from # 4.

If he gets some time in the pocket, he will have a big year. However, that's a huge IF

GBRulz
08-31-2006, 11:10 AM
Hey Ziggy,

Quality first post :roll:

MJZiggy
08-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Hey Ziggy,

It's there for a reason. Speaking of which, B, Harv, what do you guys want to do?

Tony Oday
08-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Hey Ziggy,

Agreed thanks for the contribution...

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Hey Ziggy,

:shock: Wow, that was uncalled for.

digitaldean
08-31-2006, 09:13 PM

I don't blame him for getting PO'd. It's amazing, when we had Holmgren/Shermy and our teams got to the playoffs, all was good with the nat'l media. Now you can't go 5 minutes on SportsCenter or NFL Live (ESPN) without them hacking Favre apart.

These same clowns that were singing his praises less than 2 seasons ago now are on him like a shark to fresh meat. After all of the negativity and the questioning of his ability, etc. Sean Salisbury, Jim Rome, Steve Young. . . they're all the same.

I am glad he showed a little p!ss and vinegar in him. Granted some of the will he / won't he retire crap was his own making, but some of the bonehead questions at these press conferences are astounding.

I hope he has the same fire to get in his lineman's face when the whiff on a blitzing LB or a WR does a Ben Steele imitation and drops a ball between the numbers.

I want him in the fray 100% committed and it looks like he is. If he isn't, like Dickey was at the end of his career, then yank him.

Rastak
08-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Hey Ziggy,

Yea, that was very insightful. Any other interesting football related observations?

digitaldean
08-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Hey Ziggy,

Nothing like getting on someone's good side to kick things off. :razz:

the_idle_threat
08-31-2006, 11:34 PM
Hey Ziggy,

Welcome to the forum, PA Pack Fan ... 199 more posts like this and you'll be eligible to visit the Garbage Can, where you apparently belong!

run pMc
09-01-2006, 09:22 AM
At the risk of continuing the negativity in this thread...

Jim Rome and Sean Salisbury are morons.

For that matter, most of the people on ESPN could qualify as village idiots.

Chubbyhubby
09-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Brett Favre is telling how it is. The team is talented but young and we will be making mistakes. This is probably his last year. He wants to go out strong. I see a big year for Favre.

Funny how the Packers D was getting so much attention in traning camp and the media was hyping the D up and then they bombed on Monday Night.

There must be a curse when the Packers play on MNF. They seem to crumble.

Should be intresting to watch tomrrow.

Zool
09-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Hey Ziggy,
Get rid of your stupid sig emblem. Looks retarded.The jerk store called, they're all out of you.