PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating the departure of Hawk perhaps premature?

Patler
03-05-2015, 08:26 AM
Apparently, the Packers left open the possibility that they will bring him back:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/aj-hawk-remains-an-option-at-linebacker-for-packers-b99456276z1-295112521.html

smuggler
03-05-2015, 09:00 AM
It makes sense. If he's willing to accept a minimum contract and limited role, he could still contribute. If none of the new guys pan out, there are plenty of worse options for a fallback plan

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-05-2015, 10:05 AM
Maybe as a coach, but I don't want him back as a player. Give new blood his roster spot.

red
03-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Maybe as a coach, but I don't want him back as a player. Give new blood his roster spot.

we don't have new blood

we have 1 ILB and a draft coming up that doesn't have a ton of talent, and a pretty sad free agent class

it would be nice to have him back cheap so we at least don't get worse then we were last year

and maybe the ankle was the big problem, and he could return to being an average player. i'm fine with hawk on the roster next year at 1 or 2 million

wist43
03-05-2015, 11:02 AM
The "big problem" is that Hawk was an average player at best - when he was at his best. Now he's older and much slower... he hasn't been worth a roster spot the last 2 years, yet dunderdummy has convinced TT and MM that he's of use.

No surprise dunderdummy would want him back.

Tony Oday
03-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Hawk is not terrible, Jones is terrible.

red
03-05-2015, 04:58 PM
Hawk is not terrible, Jones is terrible.

yup

also, hawk has smarts and heart, jones does not

King Friday
03-05-2015, 07:40 PM
The "big problem" is that Hawk was an average player at best

He's also an average player at worst. There is something to be said for that. You can do a WHOLE LOT WORSE than Hawk. He shouldn't be a starter, but if he's willing to come back for a year at the vet min...considering our lack of ANYTHING at the position currently...it probably would make sense. He'd be a good guy to have around to teach whatever kids they bring in.

wist43
03-05-2015, 08:09 PM
He's also an average player at worst. There is something to be said for that. You can do a WHOLE LOT WORSE than Hawk. He shouldn't be a starter, but if he's willing to come back for a year at the vet min...considering our lack of ANYTHING at the position currently...it probably would make sense. He'd be a good guy to have around to teach whatever kids they bring in.

Yes, I'd agree with that... in his early-mid career he was average.

He was always slow to react and completely lacking in instincts, but he was fairly steady and stayed healthy for the most part. From the git-go we all complained about all of his tackles coming 5-7 yds downfield. The guy just never developed any instincts for the game.

At this stage, he's a wasted roster spot and doesn't belong on any NFL roster.

pbmax
03-05-2015, 09:47 PM
I dunno about average at worst. When he was in the games at the end of the season, it looked horrible for him.

I am not sure bone spurs were the whole story, because he seemed slow AND small.

red
03-06-2015, 03:51 PM
hawk going to visit the bengals next week

this would be a homecoming for hawk, he grew up right around there