PDA

View Full Version : Source: Packers to Re-sign Bulaga Tonight

smuggler
03-07-2015, 11:35 AM
The same source reported the Sam Shields signing on the eve of FA last year.

red
03-07-2015, 11:47 AM
if this comes from anyone names joe arrigo, then you can take this "info" and shove it up his fake ass

smuggler
03-07-2015, 11:49 AM
The reporter is Michael Rodney from Packer Update. He did not reveal a source.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PackerUpdate/status/574247634409410561

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-07-2015, 01:40 PM
I hope he's right. Bulaga would be a lot harder to replace than Cobb. Plus if we lose Cobb, I hope they go after Jordan Cameron. Would be cheaper than Cobb and would make the offense even better than last year.

smuggler
03-07-2015, 01:42 PM
Assuming Cameron could stay healthy. He had two concussions last season. Not a good sign for future success...

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-07-2015, 01:47 PM
I'd be willing to take the risk. Bulaga has had two season ending injuries in 5 years. Cobb has had one in four. Rodgers had a period with concussion issues. His talent and potentially reasonable price tag would be worth the risk.

gbgary
03-07-2015, 02:05 PM
very good news if true.

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2015, 02:35 PM
I'd be willing to take the risk. Bulaga has had two season ending injuries in 5 years. Cobb has had one in four. Rodgers had a period with concussion issues. His talent and potentially reasonable price tag would be worth the risk.

Bulaga also had two separate knee injuries in another season that caused him to miss 4 full games and portions of others. I'd rather have Cobb back. I think Barclay/Tretter have a better chance of replacing Bulaga than Abby would replace Cobb. If they went the draft route, rookie RTs are generally more ready to play than WRs in our offense.

pbmax
03-07-2015, 02:57 PM
I take this, if true, to mean Randall isn't coming back unless at Packers price.

mission
03-07-2015, 02:57 PM
Rodney has been right on everything when he actually makes a claim.
He says he has absolutely no info on the Cobb situation so I would tend to trust him until he lets us down. :)

pbmax
03-07-2015, 03:03 PM
Rodney has been right on everything when he actually makes a claim.
He says he has absolutely no info on the Cobb situation so I would tend to trust him until he lets us down. :)

He's not 100% but its been a while since I followed him. He does have a better average than the pretenders and the guessers.

Pugger
03-07-2015, 03:05 PM
Man, this would be good news indeed. Our line played very well, especially in the second half of the season. Keeping The Franchise upright is our top priority.

pbmax
03-07-2015, 03:07 PM
If these are close to the numbers for Bulaga eventually, then the either/or with Cobb makes a little more sense.

Michael Rodney
@PackerUpdate
Follow
@andrewhenning I projected $38M-$40M for 5 with about $15M guaranteed a few months ago. We'll see.

red
03-07-2015, 03:10 PM
still no rumblings from anywhere else about this

pbmax
03-07-2015, 03:58 PM
still no rumblings from anywhere else about this

FA doesn't truly open until Tuesday morning. So before FA could be Monday at midnight.

call_me_ishmael
03-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Bulaga also had two separate knee injuries in another season that caused him to miss 4 full games and portions of others. I'd rather have Cobb back. I think Barclay/Tretter have a better chance of replacing Bulaga than Abby would replace Cobb. If they went the draft route, rookie RTs are generally more ready to play than WRs in our offense.

Agreed. What is your ceiling for Cobb money?

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2015, 04:04 PM
If these are close to the numbers for Bulaga eventually, then the either/or with Cobb makes a little more sense.

Michael Rodney
@PackerUpdate
Follow
@andrewhenning I projected $38M-$40M for 5 with about $15M guaranteed a few months ago. We'll see.

For Bulaga?

pbmax
03-07-2015, 04:08 PM
For Bulaga?

Yep. Top RTs are at $7 mil per right now with one exception I think.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-07-2015, 04:17 PM
Agreed. What is your ceiling for Cobb money?

I find this position interesting. I would love both back of course, but if I had to choose one its easily Bulaga. Generally, it probably takes longer to develop WRs than Tackles, but I tend to think the opposite maybe true with the packers based off TT track record drafting WR's and who we have at QB.

WR's since 05 include: Murphy (looked good), Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Cobb, Adams..Lots of hits.
T's since 05 include: Bulaga, Bahkitari...can't think of any other hits.

Hopefully we somehow find a way to bring both back.

smuggler
03-07-2015, 08:16 PM
still no word to corroborate this story and it's half past 9 eastern time...

wist43
03-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Not sure if that's too much money to give a sometimes leaky, sometimes injured, slightly above average when healthy RT??

To be sure the position is a complete mess when he's not in there, but that speaks to how inept TT/MM's approach to the OL has been in general - even though the OL seemed to make some positive strides last year.

Hopefully he'll stay healthy.

wist43
03-07-2015, 09:05 PM
I find this position interesting. I would love both back of course, but if I had to choose one its easily Bulaga. Generally, it probably takes longer to develop WRs than Tackles, but I tend to think the opposite maybe true with the packers based off TT track record drafting WR's and who we have at QB.

WR's since 05 include: Murphy (looked good), Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Cobb, Adams..Lots of hits.
T's since 05 include: Bulaga, Bahkitari...can't think of any other hits.

Hopefully we somehow find a way to bring both back.

Why they didn't keep Charles Johnson last year is beyond me... he's certainly looking good for the Vikings.

pbmax
03-07-2015, 09:10 PM
They PS him in 2013 and he was claimed by Cleveland, who found out he had a torn ACL. He went on their IR.

Likes took him off the Browns PS in 2014.

wist43
03-07-2015, 10:12 PM
They PS him in 2013 and he was claimed by Cleveland, who found out he had a torn ACL. He went on their IR.

Likes took him off the Browns PS in 2014.

That's just it, I wouldn't have exposed him... who did they keep instead?? It was just a ST's decision, can't remember what bartender they kept instead.

mraynrand
03-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Why they didn't keep Charles Johnson last year is beyond me... he's certainly looking good for the Vikings.

I can see each of his 31 exquisite Moss-like receptions in ultra HD memory vision.

red
03-07-2015, 10:20 PM
That's just it, I wouldn't have exposed him... who did they keep instead?? It was just a ST's decision, can't remember what bartender they kept instead.

thats probably why janis was a healthy scratch all year instead of on the practice squad

Cheesehead Craig
03-07-2015, 10:20 PM
We had Jordy, Cobb, Jones, and Finley. I don't think a WR that was a project at the time was really a priority. I don't recall anyone at the time complaining when he was signed off the PS.

smuggler
03-07-2015, 10:36 PM
This doesn't have much to do with Bryan Bulaga, but I watched combine drills for Devin Funchess and the combine drills of Richard Rodgers and I don't see a very big difference between the two. The interviews, on the other hand, seem to favor R2.

Carolina_Packer
03-07-2015, 11:59 PM
We had Jordy, Cobb, Jones, and Finley. I don't think a WR that was a project at the time was really a priority. I don't recall anyone at the time complaining when he was signed off the PS.

I was hoping he would make the roster, but figured he wouldn't since 1) he got dinged up in 2013 TC, which probably is what turned into the knee injury, and 2) they had a crowded receiving corps. It's a shame that our trainers didn't discover his injury first. TT put Kevin Dorsey on IR in 2013, I'm sure he would have done the same with Johnson, had he been aware.

Patler
03-08-2015, 08:04 AM

Johnson was hurt the first day of rookie camp and did not participate in anything after that until the last week of training camp. Reports were that he looked like a fish out of water the week he did practice. They had Nelson, Jones, and Cobb. Boykin earned a spot with a good preseason and went on the have a 49 reception season. The Packers kept Jeremy Ross, expecting him to be their return man. They kept 4 TEs with Finley, Quarless, Taylor and Bostick, who they had hope for as well. That was 9 spots tied up with pass catchers.

Johnson gave them no reason to keep him on the regular roster over someone else. He had had a sketchy college career. Some saw him more as a higher priority free agent rather than a draft pick. Practice squad was where he belonged with what he had done to that point. He was on the Packers PS for 5 weeks until the Browns signed him, and the very next day both Jones and Cobb were injured in the game against the Ravens. The week after that game, Cobb was placed on IR-DR and Myles White was signed to the regular roster. That would have been the spot for Johnson, but they had just lost him to the Browns on Saturday, but he wouldn't have played anyway because of the ACL injury.

If anyone screwed up, it was the Browns who had him all through camp in 2014 and initially kept him on their 53 man roster, then cut him after making waiver claims on others, and signed him to their practice squad. Three weeks later, the Vikings signed him.

Interesting tidbit - Johnson is a year and a half older than Randall Cobb.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

pbmax
03-08-2015, 09:31 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/receiver-randall-cobb-reaches-four-year-40-million-deal-with-packers-b99457030z1-295512261.html

At the same time the Packers nailed down a deal with Cobb, they were facing the prospect of losing their No. 2 priority in free agency, right tackle Bryan Bulaga. Two NFL sources familiar with the offensive tackle market said they had been told Bulaga was seeking a contract worth between $7 million and $8 million per year.

One of the sources said the Packers had no intention of paying Bulaga $7 million per year. The sources indicated that the teams showing the most interest in Bulaga were Jacksonville, Washington and Tampa Bay, all of whom have great need on the offensive line.

Joemailman
03-08-2015, 09:49 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/receiver-randall-cobb-reaches-four-year-40-million-deal-with-packers-b99457030z1-295512261.html

At the same time the Packers nailed down a deal with Cobb, they were facing the prospect of losing their No. 2 priority in free agency, right tackle Bryan Bulaga. Two NFL sources familiar with the offensive tackle market said they had been told Bulaga was seeking a contract worth between $7 million and $8 million per year.

One of the sources said the Packers had no intention of paying Bulaga $7 million per year. The sources indicated that the teams showing the most interest in Bulaga were Jacksonville, Washington and Tampa Bay, all of whom have great need on the offensive line.

Same sources who said Packers wanted to pay Cobb 8-9 million? 7 million would seem to be pretty reasonable for Bulaga . That puts him right at the top of RT's in the NFL. Right where he should be IMO.

pbmax
03-08-2015, 10:01 AM
Same sources who said Packers wanted to pay Cobb 8-9 million? 7 million would seem to be pretty reasonable for Bulaga . That puts him right at the top of RT's in the NFL. Right where he should be IMO.

It sounds reasonable the Packers initially set a price between 8 and 9 for Cobb and he set one at 12. Would explain the lack of negotiations all season long until the legal tampering period.

But its hard to parse average per year with what really matters in these deals; the guaranteed money and the first two years. Cobb hears back from the Raiders and Jax that he will get between $11 and $11.5 per year is the inference we are supposed to draw, but there are more variables than that.

Bulaga could be the same $1-2 mil above the Packers price. Silverstein pointed out in his piece that Lang is due for a new deal next year and Sitton and Bach are the year after that.

Joemailman
03-08-2015, 10:44 AM
I

Bulge could be the same $1-2 mil above the Packers price. Silverstein pointed out in his piece that Lang is due for a new deal next year and Sitton and Bach are the year after that.

I would prioritize signing Bulaga now over signing Lang next year. Bulaga is one of the top RT's in the NFL. Lang is a solid, but non-elite Guard. I would rather lose Lang, and replace with him Tretter, than lose Bulaga.

pbmax
03-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Correction, Lang is signed through 2016. Spoon had the wrong year.

Patler
03-08-2015, 11:27 AM
I would prioritize signing Bulaga now over signing Lang next year. Bulaga is one of the top RT's in the NFL. Lang is a solid, but non-elite Guard. I would rather lose Lang, and replace with him Tretter, than lose Bulaga.

I agree to a certain extent they have to live in the present. A lot can happen between now and when the others need to be re-signed. On the other hand, if your planning is that Sitton and Bakhtiari will each deserve new contracts better than whatever Bulaga gets, you are setting a floor this year for those negotiations that could happen perhaps as early as next year. They can't ignore that aspect either.

I suspect the concern with Bulaga is his availability. Lang has missed just one game since becoming a starter four years ago. If they tie up so much in Bulaga that they can't sign Lang, and then Bulaga goes down as he has in the past, they've lost the entire right side of their line.

Ideally, they find a younger version of Sitton this year or next, and they can replace one of the two "old men" on their O-line with someone playing on his rookie contract.

red
03-08-2015, 11:32 AM
got this from rotoworld

Bryan Bulaga - T - Packers

Free agent RT Bryan Bulaga is seeking $7.5 million to $8 million per year.
A source told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel the Packers have set Bulaga's price at $7 million annually and are prepared to let him walk if he doesn't accept. Green Bay's fallback option is Don Barclay. Bulaga's market value increased on Saturday, when the Texans and Cowboys locked up Derek Newton ($5.3 million annually) and Doug Free ($5 million), respectively. Bulaga is the top tackle and arguably the No. 2 offensive lineman left in free agency, behind only Mike Iupati.
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
Mar 7 - 11:51 PM

Patler
03-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Correction, Lang is signed through 2016. Spoon had the wrong year.

That sounds better, because I've been thinking that 2016 didn't have a lot of significant FAs, as we know the players now. Daniels, Hayward and Crosby, but no one else very critical at present. Hopefully, that changes this year to give us a lot more players to agonize over next off-season.

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2015, 01:26 PM
got this from rotoworld

I'm with the Packers on this. Talent wise he might be worth more. However, if you are going over that, then I think you are paying a contract as if he didn't have injury concerns. His injury concerns should knock his next contract down to the range that the Packers are offering. But, teams make unwise decisions in free agency.

Joemailman
03-08-2015, 01:43 PM
Bulaga is reportedly seeking 7-8 million per. Packers have reportedly set his value at 7 million per. This sounds like a deal that should get done.

Fritz
03-09-2015, 10:14 AM
Bulaga is reportedly seeking 7-8 million per. Packers have reportedly set his value at 7 million per. This sounds like a deal that should get done.

Thought I'd read that the Packers were firm that they wouldn't go higher than five per. I think that the injury concerns are the issue - I'd love to have the guy back, but he has missed a whole lot of football. Is he the next Mike Flanagan or the next Justin Harrell?

Joemailman
03-09-2015, 10:50 AM
Thought I'd read that the Packers were firm that they wouldn't go higher than five per. I think that the injury concerns are the issue - I'd love to have the guy back, but he has missed a whole lot of football. Is he the next Mike Flanagan or the next Justin Harrell?

I thought I had read that the Packers had a maximum value of 7 million on Bulaga. Maybe not. If they're only offering him 5 million, he'll be gone.

Fritz
03-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Can't find where I saw that number, so maybe I made it up, but here's the line that catches my attention from the JSO:

"One source said the Packers were deadset against paying $7 million per year for Bulaga and were prepared to let him walk if that occurred."

Pugger
03-09-2015, 12:58 PM
How many sources said Cobb was out the door with suitors lined up to offer him the moon?

Packers4Glory
03-10-2015, 08:31 AM
if they don't resign Bulaga might as well write off super bowl aspirations next year. there isn't anyone on the roster who can step in and is ready, nor will there be anyone in the draft I'd want to gamble on being able to do the job good enough. Lines win championships.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 09:04 AM
if they don't resign Bulaga might as well write off super bowl aspirations next year. there isn't anyone on the roster who can step in and is ready, nor will there be anyone in the draft I'd want to gamble on being able to do the job good enough. Lines win championships.

They made the playoffs without their QB when Bulaga was out in 2013 and they were competitive with the 49ers in the playoffs despite the rust on offense.

The line might have been a better run blocking unit in 2013, though Barclay needed to get better at pass pro. He will have had two offseasons to improve (minus rehab) plus they have Tretter now and whoever else shows up from the draft.

Its survivable.

Smidgeon
03-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Only took three more days than the original post suggested...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/10/packers-closing-in-on-a-deal-to-keep-tackle-bryan-bulaga/

Tony Oday
03-10-2015, 12:03 PM

Mr. Packers4Glory, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Carolina_Packer
03-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Smidge, that is the news I've been waiting to hear. Let's hope in a few hours it's official.

Patler
03-10-2015, 12:42 PM
Bulaga's expected signing is everywhere now, JSO, GBPG and NFL.com.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin 33m33 minutes ago
Source: Though discussions are on-going, OT Bryan Bulaga's ultimate deal should come in, roughly, around the $7M per year mark.

Not so much a hometown discount if true. He's not the best RT, but this figure puts him in Top 5 even after this year's deals and cap increase. Wonder how many years it will be?

Fritz
03-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Sounds like TT had to bend (over?) on this one. I'd have thought he'd have been more willing to stretch to keep House than Bulaga, considering he's got Barclay waiting in the wings. But then again, you want to protect the GOAT.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Sounds like TT had to bend (over?) on this one. I'd have thought he'd have been more willing to stretch to keep House than Bulaga, considering he's got Barclay waiting in the wings. But then again, you want to protect the GOAT.

A backup Tackle with fewer starts than House had got over $6 mpy. That kinda torpedoed the original Packers offer that probably topped out at $6 mpy.

backup Tackle with ridiculous deal was Dallas tackle Jermey Parnell.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 01:48 PM
OK, maybe declaring hometown discounts over was premature, Charles Robinson doesn't agree with me.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 6m6 minutes ago
You should move here, Uncle Charles. RT @CharlesRobinson: Must be something about Green Bay. #Packers got two solid hometown discounts.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 12m12 minutes ago
Kind of interesting that the #Packers gave second contracts to 5 of their 7-man 2010 draft class. Also all seven finished rookie deals in GB

Won't be repeated with 2011 or 2012, but impressive none-the-less.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 01:59 PM
It's done. Now I wonder of Packer Update was right and it was done 3 days ago, or if Spoon and JSO are right that the Packers had to come up over their previous top number.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 45m45 minutes ago
For #Packers OT Bryan Bulaga, it’s a 5-year deal worth an average of just under $7M per year, source said.

red
03-10-2015, 02:16 PM
good news

of course the original rumor monger will call this one a win, even though he got it wrong

Patler
03-10-2015, 02:32 PM
It's done. Now I wonder of Packer Update was right and it was done 3 days ago, or if Spoon and JSO are right that the Packers had to come up over their previous top number.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 45m45 minutes ago
For #Packers OT Bryan Bulaga, it’s a 5-year deal worth an average of just under $7M per year, source said.

Wasn't it said the Packers didn't want to go over $7M/yr? It sounds like they didn't.

By 3 or 4 years from now, that will sound cheap. Assuming, of course, that Bulaga is playing and not spending half his time on IR.

red
03-10-2015, 07:58 PM
so, on one hand, they're saying the packers had to come up to match him. on the other hand it was said that bulaga wanted 7-8 million a year and the team wasn't going over 7.

the numbers are 5 years, 35 million

what am i missing?

pbmax
03-10-2015, 08:13 PM
so, on one hand, they're saying the packers had to come up to match him. on the other hand it was said that bulaga wanted 7-8 million a year and the team wasn't going over 7.

the numbers are 5 years, 35 million

what am i missing?

Where did you get the number?

Reports were that BB was $7-8 and Packers wouldn't go to $7. Earlier reports had them much closer to $6. If they came up $750,000, still a win for him. Plus there are guarantees to wonder about.

And not to worry anyone, but last I read, they were still going over the fine print with Condon, deal had not been submitted.

smuggler
03-11-2015, 12:01 AM
More than a week ago, word was 5/37.5, so I consider it a slight value signing based on risk, and a considerable signing value based on talent. How many better RTs in the league? One? Two?

vince
03-11-2015, 12:17 AM
More than a week ago, word was 5/37.5, so I consider it a slight value signing based on risk, and a considerable signing value based on talent. How many better RTs in the league? One? Two?agreed. This is a five year deal with Bulaga? Stay healthy big boy and that's a steal.

HarveyWallbangers
03-11-2015, 02:04 AM
5yr/$33.75M; wonder how much the guarantees are.