PDA

View Full Version : Cobb Signs With Packers

pbmax
03-07-2015, 09:21 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 50s50 seconds ago
Randall Cobb back to Green Bay on a 4-year, $40 million deal, per source.

pbmax
03-07-2015, 09:24 PM
WOO-HOO!

Since I did not call this at all (though I do wonder if Jordy got a heads up).

Going to guess about details that there isn't a ton of guaranteed money given that he will be able to take another shot at FA when he is 28. Will be interesting.

EDIT:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 27s28 seconds ago
Randall Cobb and the #Packers have reached a 4-year deal worth $40M, source said (as @AdamSchefter said 1st). Has $17M guaranteed

Less than some predicted, but not exactly peanuts either.

esoxx
03-07-2015, 09:28 PM
Alright!!!!

I'm moving on from stage two.

pbmax
03-07-2015, 09:28 PM
Alright!!!!

I'm moving on from stage two.

This will help you with Stage 3:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 44s44 seconds ago
Randall Cobb had 6-7 offers today, I’m told. He turned down considerably more money elsewhere to sign with the #Packers.

red
03-07-2015, 09:33 PM
WOW

awesome

kudos to cobb, it does look like he has given a pretty sizable hometown discount

esoxx

Randall Cobb had 6-7 offers today, I’m told. He turned down considerably more money elsewhere to sign with the #Packers.

Hell, I'm skipping stages 3 & 4!

Love the signing! Keep this machine humming.

Thanks Ted!

red

THANK YOU RANDALL

Bossman641
03-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Fuck ya

ptisme
03-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Twitter rumor is Bulaga is next.

RashanGary
03-07-2015, 09:40 PM
:)

RashanGary
03-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Twitter rumor is Bulaga is next.

Would be nice to keep the band together!

gbgary
03-07-2015, 09:45 PM
we knew this would happen all along. lol

red
03-07-2015, 09:46 PM
we knew this would happen all along. lol

never a doubt

and he's still in line for one more big contract

gbgary
03-07-2015, 09:47 PM
never a doubt

we can start sweating that one now.

SMBASS
03-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Very surprised and extremely happy about this. Thank you Randall!

red
03-07-2015, 10:04 PM
i read this earlier today and just blew it off as misreporting the story we saw that if the packers were to re sign him it would be at a big discount

i didnt read the whole story and realize it came from cobbs camp

Charles RobinsonVerified account ‏@CharlesRobinson

Per Randall Cobb, a return to #Packers would likely be for $1-2 mil less per yr than elsewhere (not counting non-personal income tax states)

seems like the camp got the offer and let this "leak" to the team, who then upped the offer

both sides give a little, and both sides win

red
03-07-2015, 10:06 PM
we can start sweating that one now.

no way he gets more then 12 a year on that one

not after we give janis 11 a year in 2018

red
03-07-2015, 10:06 PM
mad, your softwares fucking up

more then 3 people are on the site at the same time, the old burros can't keep up

mraynrand
03-07-2015, 10:10 PM
Fuck ya

Fuck yeah?

smuggler
03-07-2015, 11:20 PM
Thank the cheesehead in the sky!

pbmax
03-07-2015, 11:27 PM
i read this earlier today and just blew it off as misreporting the story we saw that if the packers were to re sign him it would be at a big discount

i didnt read the whole story and realize it came from cobbs camp

seems like the camp got the offer and let this "leak" to the team, who then upped the offer

both sides give a little, and both sides win

Wilde had the same thing. They leaked it to both, apparently. Demovsky credited them both in his writeup.

Carolina_Packer
03-07-2015, 11:50 PM
never a doubt

In 4 years, Jordy will be 33. Not completely over the hill for a receiver, but no spring chicken either. At that point, if Cobb is the undisputed leading receiver with a year to go on his deal, extend him like they did Jordy last year. Then the Packers can either sign Jordy to a two year deal at that point if he's still productive, or move on if necessary. Who knows what Adams might be at that point, but this is awesome news. Now let's get Bulaga signed.

wpony
03-08-2015, 03:09 AM
If he turned down 7 other offers today wouldnt that be tampering ??

Patler
03-08-2015, 06:09 AM
If he turned down 7 other offers today wouldnt that be tampering ??

No. Agents were permitted to negotiate terms with other teams beginning 3/7, but could not sign a contract with another team until 3/10.

pbmax
03-08-2015, 09:28 AM
Leading Twitter theory is that the legal tampering window actually helps teams resign players because it gives a clear indication of the market that can be expected. Brandt, Wilde and Huber all espoused this today.

In Cobb's case, it pushed his price below $12 mil. In Shields case, it go him above $11 mil.

pbmax
03-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Sportsfeedia.com ‏@sportsfeedia 2h2 hours ago
Randall #Cobb has caught 75.2 percent of his targets since he entered the league in 2011, the highest rate in the NFL among wide receivers.

Charles Robinson @CharlesRobinson · 11h 11 hours ago
Told that Randall Cobb turned down possibly as much as $1.5 million a season to return to #Packers. That's some love.

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Leading Twitter theory is that the legal tampering window actually helps teams resign players because it gives a clear indication of the market that can be expected. Brandt, Wilde and Huber all espoused this today.

In Cobb's case, it pushed his price below $12 mil. In Shields case, it go him above $11 mil.

Didn't Shields sign for under $10M?

Joemailman
03-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Didn't Shields sign for under $10M?

4-39. 12.5 signing bonus.

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2015, 02:06 PM
4-39. 12.5 signing bonus.

But didn't Cobb get at least $14 guaranteed? I'm confused. It seems on one hand he saying Cobb's value decreased, but it seems like he's talking average/year. On the other hand, Shields value was increased, but it seems he's talking guaranteed money.

pbmax
03-08-2015, 04:07 PM
But didn't Cobb get at least $14 guaranteed? I'm confused. It seems on one hand he saying Cobb's value decreased, but it seems like he's talking average/year. On the other hand, Shields value was increased, but it seems he's talking guaranteed money.

Cobb seems to have come off his top line number (Robinson says $1.5 mil down, JSO/Spoon/Dunne say as much as $2 mil) after being allowed to talk to other teams. Packers went up from $9 mpy.

Shields number went up, but my memory was wrong. He topped $11 mil in signing bonus ($12.5) and topped $10 per year in the first two years. Packers had been offering just north of $6 mil per year. I don't have Shields rumored request to compare this two.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000332043/article/sam-shields-packers-strike-fouryear-39m-contract

A person who has seen the contract tells NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport the deal is worth $39 million over four years. NFL Media's Albert Breer adds that Shields received a $12.5 million signing bonus and will collect $21 million over the first two years of the pact.

wist43
03-08-2015, 10:13 PM
Good to have to Cobb back... now if we can just fix the mess at ILB, get a decent TE, and dump dunderdummy - we'd have a good shot at a SB.

But alas, dunderdummy is still the biggest roadblock to winning another championship.

woodbuck27
03-09-2015, 06:25 AM

This off season as I saw need; so far has been perfect !

a) The management made the prudent changes that I felt were needed.

b) TT let the Deadwood go.

c) TT signed a star player >>> Randall Cobb. Without his potential service the Packer 'O' would have been stressed. TT managed to do so and Randall Cobb's loyalty to TT and the Green Bay Packers is now evident.

I was playing Texas Hold'Em yesterday and Mae announced the signing. She loves the Packers (and as I do ...the Montreal Canadians). I whipped out of my chair and jumped as high as I could to get my head to the ceiling. Thank God for Karate. :-| I tried Packerrats again... without success:

The LINK to this site was re-routed for some reason. My next thought :

It's just some maintenance thing as in times past. I took faith in the Powers that exist here. The next ... just how grateful I am to Packerrats and 'the MAN/People' and the membership that keep it up and running. Many many appreciations Lads & Lassie's. So OK....I turned on the NFL Network and tried Packerrats again....without any success? My next thought...Packerrats suffered a terrorist attack. Ohh...what rotten luck !

I tried again later Sunday the 8th March and for any Irish Americans here we're only this and 7 days shy of OUR DAY... St. Patrick's Day and:

https://twitter.com/packers_uk/status/556916636884942849

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0fSe7N6wMUzaV7qf4SnsLZSplXWISV 5xCcQFHD6QpiIEME2Dy

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROIEU_QIdEQrtuD1Ug3y80Ida08RBpR 56l7JWDdfhsnWnITi-9

Randall Cobb is almost invisible. He's 'a lunch pail hard worker' and reliable when the bell rings.

What a relief I feel and THANK YOU Ted Thompson for somehow (in the trench's) retaining this solid Green Bay Packer and my favourite Packer player. Randall Cobb is $$$$$ MONEY $$$$$ !

OK so what's next?

#1 A .... We need to get strength for 'the head of the snake' ... the DL middle.

#1B ... We need to get better at inside LBer.

We need more athleticism at TE ... 'solid blocking' .... Red Zone help and catch and extend' and CB.

Pugger
03-09-2015, 08:30 AM
mad, your softwares fucking up

more then 3 people are on the site at the same time, the old burros can't keep up

Yes, I couldn't get in here at all yesterday.

I am so happy to have Cobb back! I truly feared we were gonna lose him. :cow:

Next up: Bulaga?

Pugger
03-09-2015, 08:32 AM

Brandt? Where is he writing stuff?

pbmax
03-09-2015, 08:54 AM
Brandt? Where is he writing stuff?

He appears on Peter King's MMQB and I think still at National Football Post.

Cheesehead Craig
03-09-2015, 08:55 AM
Interesting that Jax was looking at both him and Thomas from Denver. That would have been some serious upgrades for young Bortles to have thrown to.

Pugger
03-09-2015, 01:10 PM
Interesting that Jax was looking at both him and Thomas from Denver. That would have been some serious upgrades for young Bortles to have thrown to.

This looks like another decent draft for WRs so maybe Jax and Oakland can draft a couple WRs for their young QBs.

red
03-09-2015, 03:30 PM
No. Agents were permitted to negotiate terms with other teams beginning 3/7, but could not sign a contract with another team until 3/10.

or not, according to the nfl today

what a bunch of idiots

"you can talk to other teams about signing there, but you can't talk numbers, and you can't agree to anything. at least not until out live free agent show airs"

Guiness
03-09-2015, 03:40 PM
or not, according to the nfl today

what a bunch of idiots

"you can talk to other teams about signing there, but you can't talk numbers, and you can't agree to anything. at least not until out live free agent show airs"

They've got a great set of rules to go by. From http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/07/league-reminds-teams-of-rules-for-three-day-negotiating-period/

1. A team is allowed to submit a written summary of its negotiating position to agents for free agents still under contract with other teams, including length of contract, signing bonus, compensation, and related subjects.

2. A team is allowed to adjust its negotiating position based on the position presented by a player’s agent.

3. While negotiations may occur, teams must say that they are not making offers.

4. Teams cannot execute contracts with free agents from other teams, submit a draft contract, enter into an express or implied agreement or make any promises about the terms that would be available once the free-agency period opens, or provide assurances of intent as to the future execution of a contract.

5. Teams also cannot discuss or make travel arrangements for a player to visit once the market opens, or to communicate directly with a player.

6. If a player has no agent, the team can’t negotiate with the player at all.

7. The period applies only to looming unrestricted free agents; it doesn’t include restricted free agents or players who have been tagged.

pbmax
03-09-2015, 03:41 PM
That policy is the sign of someone who has actually never worked a job beside lawyer in his life.

Cheesehead Craig
03-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Is this what the NFL has in mind for this period?

Dear Mr. Suh,

Under NFL Rules, WE cannot OFFER YOU a contract at this time. We are not allowed to get into any specifics on A CONTRACT, even a hypothetical $60M GUARANTEED contract. We are not saying that at all. Nor are we saying that we would give you a mythical 6 YEAR contract that would pay you $114 MILLION DOLLARS either, not at all. WE do not WANT YOU to BADLY misunderstand our intentions with this remittance. NO potential INCOME is either inferred or guaranteed in this letter so as not to TAX the league’s legal offices. We only wish you would WARM up to the thought of WEATHER you would like to entertain the idea of Miami.

Thanks for your time,

The Miami Dolphins.

Joemailman
03-09-2015, 04:03 PM
3. While negotiations may occur, teams must say that they are not making offers.

That's a fine line to adhere to. Too fine for GM's, players and agents. I guess the teams were supposed to say "If, hypothetically speaking, we were to be interested in signing you, this is how much we would offer in said hypothetical situation."

Still, this might have worked if you didn't have players tweeting about where they would be playing next year. And agents releasing numbers.

Patler
03-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Actually, the rules do make sense. They can discuss every term imaginable, even tentatively agree on all of them, but neither side can bind the other until after the critical time when a team formalizes its offer, and the player can then accept. Since they started this, the start of free agency is not as frenzied as it was.

In the past, teams would hold players hostage. If they were the first visit, they would make an offer, good only until the player left. Players could do somewhat the same. Now, both sides have they chance to assess interest from numerous options without being forced into making a decision before hearing what other potential partners have to offer. Agents can check with several teams, teams can see what several similar players are expecting without losing one before you can even talk to them.

vince
03-10-2015, 04:29 AM
Cobb Made the Right Call Sticking With the Packers (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/03/09/randall-cobb-made-the-right-call-sticking-with-the-packers/?wprss=rss_redskins)

Randall Cobb posted good success rate versus coverage for each route (SRVC) scores on the routes he ran most often. His post, flat and slant routes fall between an 80.5 percent to 81.3 perecnt SRVC number. That means Cobb was beating the defender covering him far more often than not on those plays. He was also quite productive on those patterns, as he scored most of his PPR fantasy points when executing them, in addition to corners (18.3). Cobb performed excellently on what the Packers asked him to regularly do in their offense. In reality, Cobb posted good SRVC on almost all branches of the route tree, except outs. No one route reaches into the 90 percent range, but such consistency speaks to how well rounded of a player Cobb is. He’s become a true technician, able to execute the subtle nuances a receiver must use to release at the line of scrimmage, and separate from coverage:

He is also more than just a slot or gadget player in Green Bay. Cobb is a complete receiver. When comparing him to a true NFL slot and gadget receiver, Percy Harvin, you can see Cobb’s SRVC scores on vertical routes—nines, posts and corner—are far superior. The Packers’ receiver is a true threat at every level of the field, whereas Harvin and other players of that ilk typically are not.

The routes Cobb runs most often and records the best SRVC scores on — posts, slants, flats and corners — require a pristine degree of timing and precision. These throws are difficult, and call for the quarterback to hit the receiver right at the perfect time. Of course, Rodgers is the ideal man for that job. He gets the pass out to Cobb at the breaking moment in routes, so that the dynamic receiver can make plays after the catch.

The Packers got Cobb “out in space” on 12.2 percent of the 245 routes from this sample. He rewarded them by breaking at least one tackle on 70 percent of those attempts. This ability separated him from other receivers who will hit the open market, such as Michael Crabtree, who was brought down by first contact on 56.5 percent of his in space attempts.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 12:46 PM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 28m28 minutes ago
Source confirms @TomPelissero report on Cobb contract $15.1 million in 1st yr. Very important Number: $21M in 1st 2 yrs, big number,

Am I nuts or does the number for the first two years seem entirely expected and appropriate?

Fritz
03-10-2015, 01:40 PM
I like that Ted pays up front. Keeps the Packers from the cap hell the Lions put themselves in.

Patler
03-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 28m28 minutes ago
Source confirms @TomPelissero report on Cobb contract $15.1 million in 1st yr. Very important Number: $21M in 1st 2 yrs, big number,

Am I nuts or does the number for the first two years seem entirely expected and appropriate?

It may be expected and appropriate, but I'm not sure if that indicates whether or not you are nuts! :-) :-)

pbmax
03-10-2015, 04:18 PM
It may be expected and appropriate, but I'm not sure if that indicates whether or not you are nuts! :-) :-)

Quite! But I don't think $21 million over two years is front-loaded (Dougherty's description) the way the term usually is applied.

Its not front loaded like Woodson and Pickett's deals were.

The only notable thing is that it doesn't seem to have funny money in the out years and its not a JJones looming cap disaster at the back end either.

Joemailman
03-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Cobb gets 15 million in 2015 (13 million signing bonus), but 2015 cap hit is only 5.35 million. Biggest cap hits are 2017-2018 at 12.75 million. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/randall-cobb/

Patler
03-10-2015, 05:18 PM
Quite! But I don't think $21 million over two years is front-loaded (Dougherty's description) the way the term usually is applied.

Its not front loaded like Woodson and Pickett's deals were.

The only notable thing is that it doesn't seem to have funny money in the out years and its not a JJones looming cap disaster at the back end either.

Agreed, it is actually fairly well split, front to back from a cash perspective I'm guessing you will see something like $14M signing bonus and just $1.1 salary in 2015, $5.9 in salary and new bonuses in 2016, $9M salary and new bonuses in 2017 and $10M in salary and new bonuses in 2018.

This is the type of contract we have seen from the packers lately. Decent bonus and little salary in year one, more but not a big salary in year two. Year three salary is bigger than the cap hit to release him. For practical purposes, the player has just over half his contract guaranteed, because nothing happens after year one, and there is no incentive (cap wise) for the team to do anything until maybe year three.

Nelson's is somewhat similar.

red
03-10-2015, 05:32 PM
yeah, that seems like a very typical TT deal. not a lot if any funny money, and the type of deal where the player has a good chance of seeing the end of it

pbmax
03-10-2015, 05:33 PM
yeah, that seems like a very typical TT deal. not a lot if any funny money, and the type of deal where the player has a good chance of seeing the end of it

This is a very underrated point red. The deal gives a player a chance at seeing all the money while giving the team an out if the bottom goes out of the players production. Its not a guarantee in any sense, but it is realistic.

red
03-10-2015, 05:41 PM
This is a very underrated point red. The deal gives a player a chance at seeing all the money while giving the team an out if the bottom goes out of the players production. Its not a guarantee in any sense, but it is realistic.

yup, this is where we got in the big argument for the first time last year about whether players are smart enough to know the difference between a real money deal and a funny money deal

like jennings and how he took the queens offer that on the surface had slightly more money then we offered, but can now be cut at anytime now that his cap numbered just jumped. meanwhile, he would have gotten a deal a lot like jordy or cobb got where he would have actually seen more of the money

pbmax
03-10-2015, 05:51 PM
yup, this is where we got in the big argument for the first time last year about whether players are smart enough to know the difference between a real money deal and a funny money deal

like jennings and how he took the queens offer that on the surface had slightly more money then we offered, but can now be cut at anytime now that his cap numbered just jumped. meanwhile, he would have gotten a deal a lot like jordy or cobb got where he would have actually seen more of the money

I think Jennings was burned by his injury and low production. He thought he would be in another stratosphere waiting for a year. Not sure if he was burned by contract structure.

Did the Packers ever offer him that deal again? Pretty sure it was less the second time around.

red
03-10-2015, 06:03 PM
I think Jennings was burned by his injury and low production. He thought he would be in another stratosphere waiting for a year. Not sure if he was burned by contract structure.

Did the Packers ever offer him that deal again? Pretty sure it was less the second time around.

i don't know if we know if that offer was left on the table, or if it was pulled like raji's

pbmax
03-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Here are the details. Looks a lot like the last few big Packer contracts.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/11/randall-cobb-gets-13-million-to-sign/

Cobb receives $13 million to sign, along with a base salary of $1.2 million in 2015. For 2016, Cobb has a $3.5-million roster bonus due on the third day of the league year, plus a salary of $1.5 million.

In 2017 and 2018, the salaries are $8.6 million in each year.

Cobb also can earn $400,000 per year in workout bonuses and up to $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses. For every game he’s not on the roster, the four-year, $40 million deal shrinks by $31,250.

The cap numbers are $5.35 million in 2015, $9.15 million in 2016, $12.75 million in 2017, and $12.75 million in 2018.