PDA

View Full Version : Andre Johnson

Tony Oday
03-09-2015, 04:24 PM
What do you think? 33 years old but can you imagine this guy with Nelson and Cobb? Who needs a TE with those three with our young guys.

Patler
03-09-2015, 04:33 PM
Na, the guy is washed up. "Only" 85 catches last year for less than 1000 yards. He's a shell of his former self! :-)

I wonder how badly he wants a shot at a Super Bowl (compared to wanting $)?

Tony Oday
03-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Oh yeah the $$ is a huge thing...but he would win here.

Patler
03-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Oh yeah the $$ is a huge thing...but he would win here.

I wonder if money is a big thing for him? One site indicates he has already received $89M cash over his career. He's 33 years old. Maybe he would like to come to GB for a vet minimum contract to have a shot at the SB!

pbmax
03-09-2015, 04:51 PM
He also was released/waived, not a normal FA. So he doesn't count against compensatory picks. Same as Peppers last year.

HarveyWallbangers
03-09-2015, 04:51 PM
I'd think we're good at WR with Janis in year 2 and Abby back. I'd rather kick the tires on Jordan Cameron or the backup TE from Denver.

Joemailman
03-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Unless he were want to play for very little money (relatively speaking), I wouldn't do it. He would be an unnecessary luxury. It would likely slow down the progress of Adams, who I think is capable of putting up 800-900 yards this year.

red
03-09-2015, 05:38 PM
unless he wants to play ILB or TE then i would rather hang on to the money

like harv said, with jordy cobb, adams, janis and abby, we are more then fine at WR for next year

MadtownPacker
03-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Had Cobb been the greedy kneegrow many accused him of this wouldn't be a bad move. Unless he plays for pennies there is no need for him.

Joemailman
03-09-2015, 06:07 PM
There are contenders who need a WR worse than the Packers. I could see him in Seattle or New England.

Guiness
03-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Can't see him coming to GB - with a clear #1 and 2, there's no need for him and I also don't see him coming that cheap.

I wonder why Houston dumped him? Is there cap in bad shape? He and Watt are the face of the franchise, and he's been an exemplary citizen.

red
03-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Can't see him coming to GB - with a clear #1 and 2, there's no need for him and I also don't see him coming that cheap.

I wonder why Houston dumped him? Is there cap in bad shape? He and Watt are the face of the franchise, and he's been an exemplary citizen.

he's a 33 year old clearly on the downside with no one to throw him the ball due to make 21 million over the next two years

really a no brainer

pittstang5
03-09-2015, 07:07 PM
unless he wants to play ILB or TE then i would rather hang on to the money

like harv said, with jordy cobb, adams, janis and abby, we are more then fine at WR for next year

Plus, I have a feeling TT's gonna take another WR this year in the draft, maybe early. It's another good year for WRs.

mraynrand
03-10-2015, 07:19 AM
He could back up Janis at TE! Mismatch! @JSOtopcommentator

yetisnowman
03-10-2015, 09:26 AM

No need? Some of you guys really confuse me. 'man we don't need Andre Johnson we got Jeff Janis.' Our receiving core is talented but not perfect, and we are an injury to Cobb or Nelson away from being downright flimsy. Depth and versatilty would be a huge plus. He could catch 50 balls with his eyes closed for us next year. Now is he worth what he will command given our other needs? Probably not. But I find the notion that we have no need for Andre Johnson pretty foolish.

ThunderDan
03-10-2015, 09:47 AM
No need? Some of you guys really confuse me. 'man we don't need Andre Johnson we got Jeff Janis.' Our receiving core is talented but not perfect, and we are an injury to Cobb or Nelson away from being downright flimsy. Depth and versatilty would be a huge plus. He could catch 50 balls with his eyes closed for us next year. Now is he worth what he will command given our other needs? Probably not. But I find the notion that we have no need for Andre Johnson pretty foolish.

Kind of like in 2007 when people were screaming to bring Randy Moss in. Somehow without his guaranteed 1,400 yards and 10 TDs we made it to the NFC Championship game.

ThunderDan
03-10-2015, 09:50 AM

Who's catches and yards is he taking? The Pack threw for 4,200 yards. Maybe we could push that to 4,600 yards but after that you are taking touches away from Lacy/Starks.

Pugger
03-10-2015, 10:00 AM

Johnson would be a luxury now that we kept Cobb and we have more pressing needs elsewhere. If he were to take a substantial pay cut perhaps TT'd consider it.

Tony Oday
03-10-2015, 10:15 AM
he would be a pretty good Red Zone Threat.

pittstang5
03-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Sounds like he has the Packers on his list of teams he'd like to play for:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/10/andre-johnson-eyeing-four-teams/

I think it would be cool to have him, but this isn't TT's style. My money is on the Patriots or Seattle

Bossman641
03-10-2015, 11:12 AM
Depends how big a pay cut he'd be willing to take. With how much 3 WR the Packers play, he'd be a pseudo starter. You'd be stunting the development of Adams and Janis is the only drawback. I just don't see Johnson taking a near-minimum contract however.

yetisnowman
03-10-2015, 01:54 PM
Who's catches and yards is he taking? The Pack threw for 4,200 yards. Maybe we could push that to 4,600 yards but after that you are taking touches away from Lacy/Starks.

Fair point. Perhaps he takes a little from everybody. And we throw for more yards total. Imagine our 4 wide sets and goalline options. Scary.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 01:55 PM
I'm with Rand and JSOCommenter. He would make a fabulous TE or H-back in the red zone.

Sparkey
03-10-2015, 02:28 PM
He would probably be a better fit in Indy, lining up across from TY Hilton.

mraynrand
03-10-2015, 02:43 PM

practice squad defensive back? nm

Sparkey
03-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Opposite ?

KYPack
03-10-2015, 03:46 PM
A bit of noise down here in Cincy that the Bengals will make a serious run at him.

The Natty likes this kind of veteran high mid range FA, so it might be true.

mraynrand
03-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Opposite ?

you were fine; just goofing off :lol:

Joemailman
03-11-2015, 04:02 PM

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000478244/article/andre-johnson-announces-hes-signed-with-colts

Pugger
03-11-2015, 06:44 PM
He could have been a nice addition but we need to spend our money elsewhere.

Packers4Glory
03-11-2015, 06:52 PM
We are in on Harvin. Which is whatever he's really talented but we need a bigger target for those redzone woes.

pbmax
03-11-2015, 07:18 PM
We are in on Harvin. Which is whatever he's really talented but we need a bigger target for those redzone woes.

Harris is gone. Cobb is very wealthy now. Need some returners.

Patler
03-11-2015, 07:36 PM
Harris is gone. Cobb is very wealthy now. Need some returners.

Janis and Abbredderis. Isn't that what #4 and #5 WRs are for???

pbmax
03-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Janis and Abbredderis. Isn't that what #4 and #5 WRs are for???

Could be. I was just trying to explain why usually plugged into the Packers Ian Rapoport was linking them to Harvin.

Bretsky
03-12-2015, 06:21 PM
I'd think we're good at WR with Janis in year 2 and Abby back. I'd rather kick the tires on Jordan Cameron or the backup TE from Denver.

DITTO

red
03-12-2015, 06:40 PM
jordan cameron just re signed with the browns

2 years, 15 million

HarveyWallbangers
03-12-2015, 06:57 PM
Apparently, that report was wrong and he's going to Miami. Getting interesting.

pbmax
03-12-2015, 07:02 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 14s14 seconds ago
Source confirms Dolphins are "making progress" with TE Jordan Cameron. Deal likely would result in removal of tag from TE Charles Clay.

Charles Clay anyone?

And this is why its important that everyone feels respected in a process.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 46s46 seconds ago
In theory, TE Charles Clay could blow the Cameron-to-Miami deal up by signing the transition tender.

mraynrand
03-12-2015, 08:17 PM
Bills and Browns will fight over Clay it appears

vince
03-12-2015, 11:58 PM
Some of these rumors are funny. Packers have been "in" on Harvin, Johnson, and Revis. Riiiiight. Ted has one of his guys make a call just to see what the going over-priced rate is to be thorough and that means he's interested. Ted turns over every rock but he isn't throwing stupid money at short-term over-priced free agents. He waits a few weeks until the market comes to him.

I've read a couple pieces on Raji and he seems motivated to prove some things. I think he'll be a value signing and I think Ted's playing Williams perfectly too. He'd be nice to have back but it's going to be short-term and at the right price. I'm coming around on the idea of Heyward moving outside and drafting a guy or two at corner. He's better in the slot because he's around the ball more but I'm thinking he might hold up OK outside too. One of the things that hurts him inside is he's not a great blitzer. Hyde's much better inside against the run and playing on the other side of scrimmage against the run or pass.

He's fast and fluid enough, and plays the ball well enough to play outside I think. At least good enough to give Tramon a chance to find out that his market might be drying up.

A week ago I was ready to bend over and give Cobb, Bulaga and Williams what they were demanding. Cobb had the market coming for him so Ted had to move up on him but he held his gound and got Bulaga and he'll probably land Williams yet too for his price not theirs. Plus he has Raji and Guion both begging for a deal. A bunch of cap space yet if the right opportunity falls in his lap (ILB maybe?). The draft to load up with yet. Probably the best offense in the league. I sure am glad Ted Thompson's running the show. I acknowledge my full-fledged Packer fandom, but honestly have a hard time understanding how anyone can look at the job he's done - and continues to do - and think he's inept or actually want to see him fired. Nobody's perfect but nobody does it better than Ted. Maybe there are some guys right up there with him but I don't think any of em are better.

vince
03-13-2015, 01:30 AM
@PackerUpdate: Jets added 5 players over 30 this week. Packers have 4 players over 30 on roster - and 2 of them are K Mason Crosby and LS Brett Goode.,

Fritz
03-13-2015, 07:58 AM
And therein lies the difference. The quick-fixes, the patching-up that so many of us fans clamor for - it don't work.

Guiness
03-13-2015, 09:15 AM
@PackerUpdate: Jets added 5 players over 30 this week. Packers have 4 players over 30 on roster - and 2 of them are K Mason Crosby and LS Brett Goode.

Wow, really? Who the heck thinks that is a good idea?

Well, here are the players

@PackerUpdate: NYJ have signed/acquired David Harris, Brandon Marshall, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Darrelle Revis & Antonio Cromartie in past week. All are over 30.

They're looking for at least 3 of those guys to be day 1 starters. I know everyone wants a quick fix, and the new coach wants some tools to help him get some wins now so he gets some stability, but how can anyone think this will work out?

On a similar note

@WesHod: Jags signed 6 UFAs today. Packers have signed 5 UFAs since 2007.