PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars agreed to terms with CB Davon House on a multi-year contract.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Jaguars agreed to terms with CB Davon House on a multi-year contract.
He'll get $6.25 million per year. House is not yet 26 years old and flashed impressive press-man coverage ability as a reserve in Green Bay the past two seasons. At 6-foot 1/2 and 200 pounds, House is the type of lengthy corner who's flourished in Seattle and will fit ex-Seahawks DC Gus Bradley's Jaguars scheme. We're a bit surprised the Packers let House get away, but they weren't going to pay him as much as the Jags did. Look for House to start opposite Demetrius McCray in Jacksonville, with Aaron Colvin also pressing for snaps.

Related: Packers
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Teamcheez1
03-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Jaguars agreed to terms with CB Davon House on a multi-year contract.
He'll get $6.25 million per year. House is not yet 26 years old and flashed impressive press-man coverage ability as a reserve in Green Bay the past two seasons. At 6-foot 1/2 and 200 pounds, House is the type of lengthy corner who's flourished in Seattle and will fit ex-Seahawks DC Gus Bradley's Jaguars scheme. We're a bit surprised the Packers let House get away, but they weren't going to pay him as much as the Jags did. Look for House to start opposite Demetrius McCray in Jacksonville, with Aaron Colvin also pressing for snaps.

Related: Packers
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

After reading this one would be lead to believe he was the best secondary player on our team.

Bossman641
03-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Wow, 6.25M a year?? Jacksonville certainly has money to blow.

Would have been nice to keep him but not for that dough. Hopefully TWill comes back for another 2 years while we groom some replacements.

Patler
03-10-2015, 11:19 AM
The injuries have been an issue, but could be a kid who needs an extended opportunity, sort of like Al Harris before coming to GB. Not that I expect House to be as good as Harris was, but for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was his own injuries, his career never got any traction in GB.

The one bigger type CB the Packers had who could go in and be physical with big WRs. I had had hopes for him in GB. Sounded like a good kid in his interviews. I wish him well.

Tony Oday
03-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Holy crap that is a lot for what seemed to be a mid tier oft injured CB.

Carolina_Packer
03-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Good for him. Now Green Bay kinda has to try and hang on to Tramon. If they lose him too, that would really challenge their experienced depth. Perhaps that would be a place to look in free agency, if Tramon wants too many years, or too much dough.

Patler
03-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Holy crap that is a lot for what seemed to be a mid tier oft injured CB.

Maybe not. From McGinn's survey of scouts asking for comments on Packer free agents:

"Interesting prospect. He'd be a real good No. 3 corner who for some teams may have a chance to be a No. 2. Nowadays, you need three good corners. Ideally, you'd love to pay for the value of a No. 3. I just think he could fall into a starting position. If he gets paid as a No. 3 it'll be top of the market. If he gets paid as a No. 2 it'll be at the low end. That's between $4 and $6 million..."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/how-nfl-scouts-view-packers-free-agents-b99458669z1-295704511.html

Patler
03-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Contract rumored to include $10 million guaranteed. Packers were said to have offered a similar overall contract value, but with only $5 million guaranteed.

Didn't realize this, his head coach and position coach from New Mexico State are now on the Jaguar's staff:

House will be reunited with his former head coach, DeWayne Walker, who is the secondary coach in Jacksonville, and former position coach with the Aggies, Mike Rutenberg.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/295761761.html

pbmax
03-10-2015, 12:43 PM
Would I rather have House or Tramontana? I'd say House.

Would I rather have House at $10 mil guaranteed and $6.25 per or Tramontana at less than $5 mil guaranteed and $5 mil per year?

That's a tossup.

But I do want TWill back now. Though I fully expect his replacement is either on the roster or will be drafted.

3irty1
03-10-2015, 12:49 PM
This is just an average salary for a player in the top half on an NFL roster who isn't on a rookie contract anymore. For salary purposes a team's top 3 CB's are all starters. The price is reasonable, could even turn out to be a steal if House has another season like this last one.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 12:55 PM
michael orta ‏@Ortapalooza 1h1 hour ago
Per @PFF The QB Rating for QBs throwing at Davon House in 2014 as 76.6, good for 26th among CBs playing 25% of Def Snaps or more.

That ain't bad. That was a definite loss, situation a lot like Bulaga minus a serious number of starts. But probably not as many snaps s you might think.

Patler
03-10-2015, 01:19 PM
The thing that seemed odd to me is that House didn't play more. They claim Williams can still play inside, so why didn't he, with House playing outside? Were they patiently waiting for Hayward to play more like he did as a rookie?

CB has to be considered a position of need right now. If they sign TW, one starting corner is getting old, maybe showed it a bit last year and will always be a concern going forward simply due to his age. The other starter misses games every year. Behind them is a guy perhaps not suited to playing outside, another who they can't seem to determine if he is a corner or a safety, and the third is a basketball player. Things could be sketchy if they lose one of the starters, and desperate in a game if they lose both.

Can't wait for that 2nd or 3rd round draft pick to show up in camp!

pbmax
03-10-2015, 01:30 PM
Richardson and Banjo! have been tendered by the Packers today.

Fritz
03-10-2015, 01:30 PM
That J-Ville contract doesn't seem excessive in terms of cost of length. Damn. I wish the Pack had signed him for that.

The way the market's playing out, T-Will might get that kind of money now.

Well, when you structure your pay scale and your approach to it the way the Packers do, you're bound to lose some good players.

He was more inconsistent this year than I'd hoped he would be, but he seemed ready to step in. We'll see how he does with the Jags.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Patler has a good question: at one point, with Hyde having a middling (injury?) camp and Hayward still working his way back, Williams seemed ticketed in the early part of the season to be inside more (and he was) with House getting more time outside. No one was happy that with both Hayward and Hyde healthy that Williams was moving inside.

That experiment didn't last long and soon Williams was back outside. I want to say maybe Shields got banged up pre-concussion? Was that early? Williams had to leave a game early as well.

Anyone remember any more details of how that came to be?

The upshot was that both Hayward and Hyde played more as the season went on and Hayward especially seemed to regain form. House looked OK as outside guy when Shields had a concussion (before Falcons game or so I think) but then he hurt his arm/shoulder.

Fritz
03-10-2015, 01:37 PM
House really played well against the Falcons when he came in in relief, but then he got hurt and did not play as much.

Maybe he did need extended playing time. He flashed a lot of promise but then again he seemed to play soft oftentimes.

denverYooper
03-10-2015, 02:51 PM
Contract rumored to include $10 million guaranteed. Packers were said to have offered a similar overall contract value, but with only $5 million guaranteed.

Didn't realize this, his head coach and position coach from New Mexico State are now on the Jaguar's staff:

The HC there was Seattle's DC under Carroll for a couple of years also. They seem to like bigger corners in that system.

Patler
03-10-2015, 03:22 PM
If the issue really was the guarantee, and not so much the overall contract amount, House and the Packers might have viewed the situation exactly the same, but from opposite side:

GB was OK with risking $1.25M/yr but not $2.5M/yr guaranteed to a guy who might not play.
House, knowing his own injury history absolutely needed the higher guarantee.

Joemailman
03-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Michael Rodney @PackerUpdate ยท 4h 4 hours ago

People disappointed that House is gone will be happy a year from now when Hayward is re-signed. He's the better player.
0 replies 4 retweets 8 favorites

Hope he's right.

vince
03-11-2015, 12:45 AM
The thing that seemed odd to me is that House didn't play more. They claim Williams can still play inside, so why didn't he, with House playing outside? Were they patiently waiting for Hayward to play more like he did as a rookie?

CB has to be considered a position of need right now. If they sign TW, one starting corner is getting old, maybe showed it a bit last year and will always be a concern going forward simply due to his age. The other starter misses games every year. Behind them is a guy perhaps not suited to playing outside, another who they can't seem to determine if he is a corner or a safety, and the third is a basketball player. Things could be sketchy if they lose one of the starters, and desperate in a game if they lose both.

Can't wait for that 2nd or 3rd round draft pick to show up in camp!
My recollection is that House got beat a few times over the top and they lost confidence in him. He had some rough games. Maybe it was injury.

Pugger
03-11-2015, 08:43 AM
House's issue is he can't stay on the field.