PDA

View Full Version : How old are the PackerRat faithful?

Homer Jay
08-31-2006, 11:33 AM
I'll try again.

I'm 50 and if I'm lucky I'll see 51 in December.

MJZiggy
08-31-2006, 11:39 AM
What if we've been trying really hard NOT to remember Forrest Gregg as coach?

Homer Jay
08-31-2006, 11:43 AM
What if we've been trying really hard NOT to remember Forrest Gregg as coach?

If you find a way, please pass it along.

MJZiggy
08-31-2006, 11:50 AM
At my house, we simply don't speak that name or refer to the existence of that chapter in our storied existence (unless some cruel member chooses to remind the youngins of how bad things COULD be.)

jack's smirking revenge
08-31-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm in the Forrest Gregg category, but I don't remember FG. I've always been a Packer fan (by association through my family), but I haven't always paid attention. Living in Europe for a good portion of my life made paying attention to the Pack somewhat problematic.

tyler

hurleyfan
08-31-2006, 08:11 PM
What category are we in if we "SAW" the Icebowl (45-55) and remembder some of it?!?!

BallHawk
08-31-2006, 09:04 PM
Goddamn, I can barely remember SB 32. Let's see I can remember we lost, I put notes in the easybake oven 'cuz I thought it would help us win, I remember being shouted at for celebrating TD's injury, and I remember the solemn car ride home. :sad:

Bossman641
08-31-2006, 09:05 PM
22 here. I briefly remember the Majik man. I'm probably a little spoiled in that I only really remember the winning years. Hopefully I won't become too accustomed to seeing the Pack lose.

hurleyfan
08-31-2006, 09:09 PM
Goddamn, I can barely remember SB 32. Let's see I can remember we lost, I put notes in the easybake oven 'cuz I thought it would help us win, I remember being shouted at for celebrating TD's injury, and I remember the solemn car ride home. :sad:

What's an easybake oven?

BallHawk
08-31-2006, 09:13 PM
What's an easybake oven?

http://www.futuretoys.com/littletikes/step2oven.jpg

hurleyfan
08-31-2006, 09:16 PM
What's an easybake oven?

That sure looks different than the ones my sisters had SOOO many years ago!

Think there was a lightbulb used for the "heat" ??

GBRulz
08-31-2006, 09:34 PM
wow, is that what those things look like these days??

digitaldean
08-31-2006, 09:45 PM
Remember the Bengston days when I was a little kid and grew up with a who's who of bad coaches, Devine, Starr, Gregg and Infante. (BTW, Starr may have been a mediocre coach, but is a class individual on and off the field)

First game I saw at Lambeau Field was the night Tim Lewis's NFL career was ended. :cry:

Boy, before Ron Wolf and Holmgren came we had the experts like Frank Deford of SI saying the Packers should move to Milwaukee because Green Bay was not worthy of having an NFL franchise.

I do know that today's fans will not put up with mediocrity, but we can't call for MM or TT's head after this season.

MJZiggy
08-31-2006, 09:51 PM
(BTW, Starr may have been a mediocre coach, but is a class individual on and off the field)

I do know that today's fans will not put up with mediocrity, but we can't call for MM or TT's head after this season.

Absolutely!

Joemailman
08-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Seeing as how I'm among the eldest 14%, I expect you young whippersnappers to start showing a little more respect. And stay off of my lawn!

esoxx
08-31-2006, 10:57 PM
Goddamn, I can barely remember SB 32.

Yah, me neither. I was so pissed I got absolutely shit faced to try and numb the pain. Didn't help.

Deputy Nutz
09-01-2006, 01:04 AM
See it is all how you choose to remember Super Bowl 32. I like many got drunk, but I can see I was smarter than the rest of you, I turned the tv off before the game ended, so truthfully I don't remember who won the game, hell it could have been the Packers for all I know.

Iron Mike
09-01-2006, 06:55 AM
What's an easybake oven?

That's not an easy-bake, this is:

http://www.bermudanow.com/intlshopplaza/images/easybake.jpg

GBRulz
09-01-2006, 07:54 AM
We watched the game at the Brown County Arena, they had a huge party there. .... imagine thousands of people leaving the bars after the game....thousands in the streets, yet you could barely hear a pin drop.

A serious, yet unimportant question.... how much revenue did bars lose out on due to the loss? I mean nobody stayed around. the game was over and people put their heads down and went home.

GBRulz
09-01-2006, 07:55 AM
What category are we in if we "SAW" the Icebowl (45-55) and remembder some of it?!?!

hmmm, that you didn't drink enough? :wink:

the_idle_threat
09-01-2006, 08:00 AM
I watched SB 32 while I was away at college. I was with a friend and some gals who were all from Denver. :evil:

They were actually not too jerky about it given the circumstances ... that Denver was supposed to get killed and instead pulled the amazing upset.

Green Bud Packer
09-01-2006, 08:55 AM
i've lived thru lombardi to mccarthy although my first memory of lombardi is as redskins g.m. from bengston on down,outside of the holmgren years,forrest gregg football is my fav.the pack was tuff and full of characters. i've never seen the packer-bear rivalry as intense.i got to watch hof james lofton.it wasn't the best football but man it was entertaining.

Homer Jay
09-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Forrest Gregg vs. Mike Ditka. Now that was a rivalry. Two guys who truly hated each other, and, their teams showed it. Not many wins for the Packers, but, it wasn't for lack of effort.

KYPack
09-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Forrest Gregg vs. Mike Ditka. Now that was a rivalry. Two guys who truly hated each other, and, their teams showed it. Not many wins for the Packers, but, it wasn't for lack of effort.

That was some strange, sick shit. I loved it, but yer right, it wasn't much for football, from a Packer perspective.

That was strictly wierd macho angst.

I alwaysthought they shudda had Mike & Forrest go at it on the 50 & get it over with!

FavreChild
09-01-2006, 06:59 PM
My dad always bought those team picture plaques, so those were hanging in the house, even during the Forest Gregg era. I think I have the same birthday as Randy Wright, and when I was very young, I thought that was pretty cool.

The first year I remember watching football was '85, and unfortunately we all remember the participants in that game. We had a SuperBowl party, and I thought I would be creative and make some "decorations" for the game. Well, the Bears were the team I was familiar with, so I started making some "Go Bears" signs. My parents politely explained that not everyone attending the party would be rooting for the Bears, so I might want to make some Patriots signs, too.

Scott Campbell
09-01-2006, 07:13 PM
My dad always bought those team picture plaques, so those were hanging in the house, even during the Forest Gregg era. I think I have the same birthday as Randy Wright, and when I was very young, I thought that was pretty cool.

The first year I remember watching football was '85, and unfortunately we all remember the participants in that game. We had a SuperBowl party, and I thought I would be creative and make some "decorations" for the game. Well, the Bears were the team I was familiar with, so I started making some "Go Bears" signs. My parents politely explained that not everyone attending the party would be rooting for the Bears, so I might want to make some Patriots signs, too.

Yikes. You're lucky you didn't end up in Juvenile Hall.

GBRulz
09-01-2006, 07:23 PM
or an orphanage!!

MJZiggy
09-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Or Chicago!! :shock:

oregonpackfan
09-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Yes, I am amoung the 55 age set(soon to be 56 in 3 weeks) and I saw the Ice Bowl on TV.

At the time, I was a teen-aged kid living in Rice Lake. While it was -13 below zero in Green Bay, it was -20 below zero at home. Remember in those days the temperature was straight Fahrenheit--there was no "Wind Chill Factor." Not only was it straight cold, there was a wind blowing that day.

I remember thinking how bitterly cold those players must be as I watched the game with a roaring fire in our fireplace. Lombardi also banned his players wearing gloves. He foolishly viewed it as a sign of toughness. Most of the Cowboys players wore gloves while the Packers played barehanded.

It was also one of the most tense-filled, exciting games to watch. If you have never watched the game on video, go out, find it, and watch it. It is a "Must-see" game for Packer fans, especially those who are too young to remember seeing it. It will give you a deeper appreciation of the Lombardi era and what it means to be a Packer fan.

OPF

Brando19
09-03-2006, 12:52 PM
I am 22 years old. Living through the Favre era has indeed spoiled me. I don't know what to think now that the Packers have had a losing record.

MJZiggy
09-03-2006, 01:21 PM
The phrase, if I recall, is "we'll get 'em next year."

It's next year. We'll get 'em.

Kiwon
09-05-2006, 03:37 AM
I remember QB Bobby Douglas leading the Bears in rushing each year before Walter Payton came along.