PDA

View Full Version : 49ers Borland Retires

Striker
03-16-2015, 09:19 PM
BERKELEY, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland, one of the NFL's top rookies last season, told "Outside the Lines" on Monday that he is retiring because of concerns about the long-term effects of repetitive head trauma.

Borland, 24, said he notified the 49ers on Friday. He said he made his decision after consulting with family members, concussion researchers, friends and current and former teammates, and studying what is known about the relationship between football and neurodegenerative disease.

"I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," Borland told "Outside the Lines." "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk."

Borland becomes the most prominent NFL player to leave the game in his prime because of concerns about brain injuries. More than 70 former players have been diagnosed with progressive neurological disease following their deaths, and numerous studies have shown a connection between the repetitive head trauma associated with football, brain damage and issues such as depression and memory loss.

"I feel largely the same, as sharp as I've ever been, for me it's wanting to be proactive," said Borland. "I'm concerned that if you wait till you have symptoms, it's too late. ... There are a lot of unknowns. I can't claim that X will happen. I just want to live a long healthy life, and I don't want to have any neurological diseases or die younger than I would otherwise."

Borland was expected to be a key part of the 49ers defense this season after the retirement last week of All-Pro linebacker Patrick Willis. Borland replaced Willis, 30, after six games last season; Willis had sustained a toe injury.

Willis' retirement had no role in his decision, Borland said.

Borland said there was no chance he would change his mind. The third-round draft pick who starred at the University of Wisconsin said he has had just two diagnosed concussions: one while playing soccer in the eighth grade, the other playing football as a sophomore in high school.

Borland, who is listed at 5-foot-11, 248 pounds, earned accolades for his aggressiveness and instincts at inside linebacker. He had 107 tackles and a sack in 14 games, eight of them starts. He was the NFC's defensive player of the week for his performance against the New York Giants in Week 11. He led the team with 13 tackles in that game and became the first 49ers rookie linebacker in history with two interceptions in one game. He received one vote for NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

His success last season did not make his decision more difficult, Borland said: "I've thought about what I could accomplish in football, but for me personally, when you read about Mike Webster and Dave Duerson and Ray Easterling, you read all these stories and to be the type of player I want to be in football, I think I'd have to take on some risks that as a person I don't want to take on." Borland was referring to former NFL greats who were diagnosed with a devastating brain disease, Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, or CTE, after their deaths. Duerson and Easterling committed suicide.

Borland said he began to have misgivings during training camp. He said he sustained what he believed to be a concussion stuffing a running play but played through it, in part because he was trying to make the team. "I just thought to myself, 'What am I doing? Is this how I'm going to live my adult life, banging my head, especially with what I've learned and knew about the dangers?'"

He said the issue "gathered steam" as the season progressed. Before the fourth game of the pre-season, at Houston, he wrote a letter to his parents, informing them that he thought that his career in the NFL would be brief because of his concerns about the potential long-term effects of the head injuries.

After the season, Borland said, he consulted with prominent concussion researchers and former players to affirm his decision. He also scheduled baseline tests to monitor his neurological wellbeing going forward "and contribute to the greater research." After thinking through the potential repercussions, Borland said the decision was ultimately "simple."

He said part of the reason he waited until now was because he wanted to inform his family and friends, including a few 49er teammates. He said he also wanted to have time to contact the researchers and study the issue further.

Borland, who earned a bachelor's degree in history at the University of Wisconsin, said he plans to return to school and possibly pursue a career in sports management. He had a four-year contract with the 49ers worth just under $3 million, which included a signing bonus of $617,436.

The decision to retire had nothing to do with the 49ers, Borland said. He said that his feelings toward the team and his teammates marked one of the hardest aspects of the decision.

"It's an incredible organization, and they truly looked out for players' best interests," he said.

Borland is the fourth NFL player age 30 or younger to announce his retirement in the past week. Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Jason Worilds, 27, said he retired "after much thought and consideration" to pursue "other interests." Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker, 26, said he left the game because he no longer had "the burning desire necessary to play the game for a living."

Willis said he retired due to constant pain in his feet, among other reasons. He was placed on the season-ending injured reserve Nov. 11 after getting hurt on Oct. 13.

Borland had a decorated career at Wisconsin, where he was named the Big Ten's defensive player of the year and linebacker of the year as a senior. He was a first-team All-American selection and multiple recipient of All-Big Ten honors.

Whoa.

red
03-16-2015, 09:38 PM
i think this is gonna be a trend

Bossman641
03-16-2015, 09:40 PM
A lot of fears he would have a short career but I was not expecting this short

pbmax
03-16-2015, 09:58 PM
Wow. Thought it would be his shoulders, wonder how many concussions he had in the Pros?

That is two Badgers who retired early. Borland and Moffitt.

red
03-16-2015, 10:02 PM
he said he just had the one in training camp, and he hid it cause he wanted to make the team

Patler
03-16-2015, 10:07 PM

Will Abbredderis be far behind?????

pbmax
03-16-2015, 10:24 PM
Will Abbredderis be far behind?????

Good question. Though Tauscher and Thomas had no problem grinding it out.

Magic needs the Gazoo helmet.

esoxx
03-16-2015, 10:45 PM
Thus marks the beginning of the end of pro football, at least as we know it.

Ah, it was a good run.

red
03-16-2015, 11:40 PM

Ah, it was a good run.

i'm thinking the exact same thing

and so the end begins

gbgary
03-16-2015, 11:54 PM
Wow. Thought it would be his shoulders, wonder how many concussions he had in the Pros?

evidently/luckily just two since the eighth grade. none in the pros.

pittstang5
03-17-2015, 07:10 AM
That's a shame. I liked him in the draft and actually hoped the Packers would have drafted him, but San Fran snuck in early and grabbed him.

This just adds another team in the ILB sweepstakes.

mraynrand
03-17-2015, 07:33 AM
breach of contract?

Joemailman
03-17-2015, 07:38 AM
breach of contract?

I'd thought about that. But given the concern about head trauma, I don't think they want to take on that fight. The money they might collect wouldn't be worth the PR fallout. 3/4 of his signing bonus would be about 450,000.

SkinBasket
03-17-2015, 08:06 AM
Just like, but not nearly as bad as, Larry Sanders - I guess it's easier to pursue your other interests and worry about your health after you've grabbed a gob of cash from the league. At least Borland quit at $1 million instead of $20-$25.

mraynrand
03-17-2015, 08:36 AM
Larry?

Patler
03-17-2015, 09:16 AM
Just like, but not nearly as bad as, Larry Sanders - I guess it's easier to pursue your other interests and worry about your health after you've grabbed a gob of cash from the league. At least Borland quit at $1 million instead of $20-$25.

Ya, I thought about both. At least Sanders spent some years in the league, was a starter and proven performer (at times) and his "problems" were well-known. Many thought the Bucks were crazy to give him that much cash.

Borland pocketed a million $ for a season he probably expected not to play much as a rookie. Then suddenly in the off season he has an epiphany and understands there are risks of head trauma, so he quits.

Joemailman
03-17-2015, 10:01 AM
Jeff Miller, the NFL's senior vice president of health and safety policy, released the following statement Tuesday morning.

"We respect Chris Borland's decision and wish him all the best. Playing any sport is a personal decision," the statement read.

"By any measure, football has never been safer and we continue to make progress with rule changes, safer tackling techniques at all levels of football, and better equipment, protocols and medical care for players. Concussions in NFL games were down 25 percent last year, continuing a three-year downward trend. We continue to make significant investments in independent research to advance the science and understanding of these issues. We are seeing a growing culture of safety. Everyone involved in the game knows that there is more work to do and player safety will continue to be our top priority.".

pbmax
03-17-2015, 10:16 AM
I feel no more sorry for the 49ers than I do for a player dumped 3 days before the roster bonus is due. A signing bonus is an inducement to get a player to sign a deal and offload risk to the team. The risk was their's to bear, not his.

The CBA language (or wherever its written) to allow (partial) recovery of that bonus changes the nature of that payment substantially. Its not a bonus anymore, its an advance on future salary.

The idea that a player is beholden to a contract but the team is not is dumb.

red
03-17-2015, 10:23 AM
where the hell is bretsky? this seems like the perfect thing to shove in his face

Patler
03-17-2015, 11:28 AM
I don't feel sorry for the 49ers either, nor am I drawing distinctions between the players and teams responsibilities and obligations. Just pointing out a situation in which, perhaps, a player took advantage of the team. People tend to see the reverse more often.

I wonder if it is really concern about his head. There were several stories last year that he already required another shoulder "fix", after having three already. Perhaps he was looking for funds to take care of that, and never did intend to play long because of it. Best case scenario, the team would pick up the tab. Worst case scenario, he would have the cash to pay for it himself. (Don't know how insurance would treat it otherwise.)

MadScientist
03-17-2015, 11:35 AM

Ah, it was a good run.

Yea, this trend is not looking good for football's long term future. I think the next step will be shock sensors in the helmets. After calibration there will be a mandatory concussion check after a specified shock, and a mandatory removal from game after a specified higher shock level. The levels might change if a player has had a concussion in previous weeks. Doing this would prevent players from 'playing through' concussions, reducing the chances of injuring an already injured brain.

Unfortunately, while improving long-term health, the knowledge of how much damage players are doing to their brains during a game may wind up scaring even more players off.

denverYooper
03-17-2015, 11:45 AM
i'm thinking the exact same thing

and so the end begins

Ted knew it. He's poised the team to go out on top.

Fosco33
03-17-2015, 11:48 AM
If/When they are able to specifically identify the effects of micro concussions and the major dingers - and some connection of history/personal effect, then a player can make an informed decision.

I.e. - farmers and coal miners know the risks and life expediencies but still decide to pursue that career for a host of reasons.

One of my best friends was a lineman at UW - had spinal stenosis after an awkward hit and gave up football immediately (he was in line for starter as Junior and was as good bet as anyone to make an NFL team). He weighed that risk and made a decision.

Not much different than many others for that condition but now seemingly becoming more common for pro athletes and concussion risks...

mraynrand
03-17-2015, 11:52 AM
Ya, I thought about both. At least Sanders spent some years in the league, was a starter and proven performer (at times) and his "problems" were well-known. Many thought the Bucks were crazy to give him that much cash.

Borland pocketed a million $ for a season he probably expected not to play much as a rookie. Then suddenly in the off season he has an epiphany and understands there are risks of head trauma, so he quits.

Ahh..Larry Sanders was a basketball reference. Did Larry wear a helmet?

mraynrand
03-17-2015, 11:54 AM
The idea that a player is beholden to a contract but the team is not is dumb.

raise your hand if you disagree. thought so.

pbmax
03-17-2015, 11:58 AM
raise your hand if you disagree. thought so.

Two posters compared Borland to Sanders, mentioned gobs of cash and quitting.

Does anyone describe teams that way when they part with players?

pbmax
03-17-2015, 11:59 AM
If/When they are able to specifically identify the effects of micro concussions and the major dingers - and some connection of history/personal effect, then a player can make an informed decision.

I.e. - farmers and coal miners know the risks and life expediencies but still decide to pursue that career for a host of reasons.

One of my best friends was a lineman at UW - had spinal stenosis after an awkward hit and gave up football immediately (he was in line for starter as Junior and was as good bet as anyone to make an NFL team). He weighed that risk and made a decision.

Not much different than many others for that condition but now seemingly becoming more common for pro athletes and concussion risks...

Famers and coal miners probably have fewer choices.

mraynrand
03-17-2015, 12:03 PM
Two posters compared Borland to Sanders, mentioned gobs of cash and quitting.

Does anyone describe teams that way when they part with players?

So you are saying teams are not allowed by contract to cut players?

pbmax
03-17-2015, 12:04 PM
So you are saying teams are not allowed by contract to cut players?

Not at all. But the reaction to each side exercising their contractual rights is asymmetric.

mraynrand
03-17-2015, 12:07 PM
Famers and coal miners probably have fewer choices.

? A lot of football players have no other skills I should think. Either play football, or what, fall back on your degree in electrical engineering? Or go work in the coal mine more likely.

mraynrand
03-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Not at all. But the reaction to each side exercising their contractual rights is asymmetric.

Probably because one circumstance - quitting after making "gobs of cash" is so rare as to be challenging to even find a second example in the same sport. And do the players have a contractual right to quit? Did Larry give two week's notice?

pbmax
03-17-2015, 12:09 PM
? A lot of football players have no other skills I should think. Either play football, or what, fall back on your degree in electrical engineering? Or go work in the coal mine more likely.

Possibly. But football players have a decent shot of having had a very good payday. Gives you a head start on the second career.

mraynrand
03-17-2015, 12:13 PM
Possibly. But football players have a decent shot of having had a very good payday. Gives you a head start on the second career.

I'm guessing you didn't see all those restaurants close their doors. :)

pbmax
03-17-2015, 12:14 PM
Probably because one circumstance - quitting after making "gobs of cash" is so rare as to be challenging to even find a second example in the same sport. And do the players have a contractual right to quit? Did Larry give two week's notice?

The NFL seems to think so. Unsure about Larry.

Though Larry and his 5 year guaranteed contract is an interesting phenomenon. Teams must realize such revenue from the stars that they would actually like to sign up for life, that they have agreed to the guaranteed language or minimum spending and still hand out five year deals to lesser known players.

I'm not sure if its like being the lead singer in a mediocre band or the drummer in a great one.

pbmax
03-17-2015, 12:14 PM
I'm guessing you didn't see all those restaurants close their doors. :)

Reminds me I have never been to Brett's Steakhouse.

mraynrand
03-17-2015, 12:17 PM

Better eats are available at The Broke Spoke.

texaspackerbacker
03-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Borland made a little over a million with his bonus and one year's salary. If the goal is to live a decent normal life, he's set - who among us couldn't do well with a million head start. I would think, though, there are enough safeguards and protections that playing at least a few more years and making maybe double digit millions would have been worth the risk for somebody with that kind of God-given talent.

I've always said, I will never feel sorry for an athlete making that kind of money playing a sport we all would love playing for a tiny fraction as much. If that applies to somebody suffering the effects of head injury, I guess it also applies to somebody erring on the side of caution to prevent it. I do NOT see this as the start of any significant trend. The minimal risk and HUGE reward for playing will be just too overwhelming for most people.

pbmax
03-17-2015, 12:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12496480/san-francisco-49ers-linebacker-chris-borland-retires-head-injury-concerns

He sustained a head injury in pre-season that wasn't severe enough to require treatment. By Week 4, he had written his parents that it might be a one year career.

His father sounds like their were always concerns about football in the family. None of his sons played until high school.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/chris-borland-father-jeff-borland-san-francisco-49ers-retire-one-year-031715

denverYooper
03-17-2015, 01:01 PM

I like this take. The overall pool of available bodies will get smaller, but plenty of freakishly gifted individuals will still decide to leverage those gifts to make a lot of money in a relatively short amount of time.

I also feel like this will drive some innovation in protective gear. This is America--when a lawsuit opens a niche, technology fills it.

Carolina_Packer
03-17-2015, 01:43 PM
From an SI article, similar to the initial article posted at the top the thread.

"Borland earned a bachelor's degree in history from Wisconsin and says he'll probably go back to study sports management. In truth, his sense of history led him to a decision that he may never regret -- and other NFL players could use this type of management."

I'm not exactly sure if Sports Management means becoming a player agent, but that would be a somewhat odd choice of second career, so soon after leaving the game for safety reasons. If he were to become a player agent, would he have more credibility or less? Obviously you don't have to have played ball to be an agent or a coach, but perhaps you understand things better. If he does decide to become a player agent, it's sort of a weird place to be. It would almost be like saying, "safety concerns caused met to quit playing, but let me make a percentage off of your decision to play." I know he's doing what's best for him, but I'm not sure how you be involved like that given your reasons for leaving the game.

pbmax
03-17-2015, 01:44 PM
I like this take. The overall pool of available bodies will get smaller, but plenty of freakishly gifted individuals will still decide to leverage those gifts to make a lot of money in a relatively short amount of time.

I also feel like this will drive some innovation in protective gear. This is America--when a lawsuit opens a niche, technology fills it.

They also could get creative, change the rules around the LOS and create some space.

Roger could actually develop a relationship with coaches and get them to stop teaching players to tackle (and force fumbles) with their heads.

Fritz
03-17-2015, 02:00 PM
where the hell is bretsky? this seems like the perfect thing to shove in his face

Funny, that's the first thing that I thought of when I heard the story this morning.

mraynrand
03-17-2015, 02:13 PM
From an SI article, similar to the initial article posted at the top the thread.

"Borland earned a bachelor's degree in history from Wisconsin and says he'll probably go back to study sports management. In truth, his sense of history led him to a decision that he may never regret -- and other NFL players could use this type of management."

I'm not exactly sure if Sports Management means becoming a player agent, but that would be a somewhat odd choice of second career, so soon after leaving the game for safety reasons. If he were to become a player agent, would he have more credibility or less? Obviously you don't have to have played ball to be an agent or a coach, but perhaps you understand things better. If he does decide to become a player agent, it's sort of a weird place to be. It would almost be like saying, "safety concerns caused met to quit playing, but let me make a percentage off of your decision to play." I know he's doing what's best for him, but I'm not sure how you be involved like that given your reasons for leaving the game.

He could organize the shuffleboard tourney aboard the Pacific Princess.

gbgary
03-17-2015, 07:05 PM

tailgated several times but never stepped inside.

Bretsky
03-20-2015, 07:48 PM

Piss off red...lol.....

red
03-20-2015, 07:57 PM
Piss off red...lol.....

WHERE WAS YOU GOD ON THAT ONE?????????????????????

LOLLOLOLOLOLOL

Cheesehead Craig
03-20-2015, 08:03 PM

Ah, it was a good run.

This is not some great tipping point. There have been far more popular and productive players that have left early. Sanders, Robert Smith, and heck, Staubach left early for long term health reasons way back.

Football in the US is down for youth by over 20% and is getting worse. The NFL is king for now, but their days are numbered. Borland's actions aren't a blazing trail, just a symptom of what's been going on for years.

Patler
03-21-2015, 07:44 AM
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/chris-borland-father-jeff-borland-san-francisco-49ers-retire-one-year-031715

But before his rookie season even began, Borland had told his family it might be his one and only year in the NFL.

All five of Borland's siblings made sure they attended at least one game in 2014 because they knew it might be their only chance to see him on the field. Jeff and Zebbie, Chris' mom, also attended games and saw how their son could succeed at the highest level of the game, all the while realizing the potential dangers of the game were on his mind.

The quote is from the article linked to by pbmax.

So, Borland knew he might play just one season even before the season started? Yet, he agreed to play four years and accepted over $1 million of a contract having a total value of less than $3 million. He agreed to provide four years, but did he have the intention to provide only what normally would be expected to be the least productive and the least active of the four seasons contracted for? Was his intention to play a little special teams, a few snaps here and there behind the experienced guys, bank a million dollars, and call it a career?

When the player quits after only a very short time of a long term contract, he accepts pay in the form of a bonus, but then refuses to provide the services contracted for. When the team cuts a player, they refuse to make future payments, but don't expect the player to provide any services either. In Borland's case, the money aspect is relatively small, but the issue is there nonetheless. Did he accept payment in advance for services he never intended to provide?

Patler
03-21-2015, 07:59 AM
This is not some great tipping point. There have been far more popular and productive players that have left early. Sanders, Robert Smith, and heck, Staubach left early for long term health reasons way back.

Football in the US is down for youth by over 20% and is getting worse. The NFL is king for now, but their days are numbered. Borland's actions aren't a blazing trail, just a symptom of what's been going on for years.

Yup. Jim Brown was as big of a name in the NFL as there was at the time. He retired after playing his last season at age 29. His stated reason at the time was to pursue his acting career, but it didn't take him long to make controversial statements about his other motivations for quitting.

Five years from now, few fans or players will even remember who Chris Borland was. His decision might influence the decisions of a few players or parents about playing the game right now. A few years from now, his decision will have no impact.

pbmax
03-21-2015, 08:21 AM

So, Borland knew he might play just one season even before the season started?

Can't be sure because fox sports doesn't name their source (which I take to mean they've seen it reported multiple times elsewhere) but I think they are confusing the head injury in training camp and the communication he had with his family in-season. ESPN, which seems to be the source of these facts, makes a clear distinction over these two time frames.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12496480/san-francisco-49ers-linebacker-chris-borland-retires-head-injury-concerns

But Fox Sports does not. I noticed that discrepancy which is why I posted both links. ESPN indicates their source (Borland himself on head injury preseason and father on letter) but nowhere have I seen the Fox stuff reported with sources. I think its a bad summary of other people's work.

esoxx
03-21-2015, 10:04 AM

Sanders, Smith, and Staubach are all apples/oranges comparisons. None of them played one year and then quit b/c of potential injury. One freakin' year.

We also didn't have a climate of hysteria surrounding concussions during any of those players time frames. There's a climate of fear on long term impact out there now. I'm not sure how anyone can deny that.

Patler
03-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Football is very late to the table on concussion concern. Hockey was going to die 25 years ago because of it. It didn't.

I don't know if it originated with USA Hockey or not, but the "Heads Up" program was huge in youth hockey 25 years ago. There were posters up in all the rinks, pamphlets were mailed to all registered players, instruction in it was part of coaching clinics. We had players doing drills on the ice to look up at the boards if they got knocked to the ice and were sliding headfirst toward the boards. (Unfortunately, the natural tendency is for kids to look down and tuck in there heads, taking the impact on the top of their helmet.) The emphasis was more for preventing spinal injuries, but if they lifted their heads they would naturally turn their bodies and take some of the impact on their shoulders or chests.

There were some rule changes, some emphasis on enforcement, etc. It was a big concern for a while, is still talked about, but didn't kill the sport in spite of what many feared with the punch-drunk players that were being talked about, and the occasional spinal injury that occurred.

Then there is boxing, which has the goal of inflicting a concussion on your oponent.......

red
03-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Yeah, but isn't boxing pretty much done? Yeah there's Jr vs Manny coming up, but didn't the sport die around the time Tyson bit off hoyfields ear?

And hockey is barely there, hockey is like the 15th most popular sport behind, lawn jarts and keno

pbmax
03-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Football is very late to the table on concussion concern. Hockey was going to die 25 years ago because of it. It didn't.

I don't know if it originated with USA Hockey or not, but the "Heads Up" program was huge in youth hockey 25 years ago. There were posters up in all the rinks, pamphlets were mailed to all registered players, instruction in it was part of coaching clinics. We had players doing drills on the ice to look up at the boards if they got knocked to the ice and were sliding headfirst toward the boards. (Unfortunately, the natural tendency is for kids to look down and tuck in there heads, taking the impact on the top of their helmet.) The emphasis was more for preventing spinal injuries, but if they lifted their heads they would naturally turn their bodies and take some of the impact on their shoulders or chests.

There were some rule changes, some emphasis on enforcement, etc. It was a big concern for a while, is still talked about, but didn't kill the sport in spite of what many feared with the punch-drunk players that were being talked about, and the occasional spinal injury that occurred.

Then there is boxing, which has the goal of inflicting a concussion on your oponent.......

I remember much of this (pro version, not so much youth hickey). Prior to it, the mandated use of helmets was a resistance point, but even that was eventually accepted after they grandfathered in the older players.

mraynrand
03-21-2015, 05:45 PM
I remember much of this (pro version, not so much youth hickey). Prior to it, the mandated use of helmets was a resistance point, but even that was eventually accepted after they grandfathered in the older players.

I remember a youth hickey

red
03-21-2015, 05:52 PM

yeah, but with the flowing hair they had back then they had extra protection, plus who in their right mind would want to cover that up?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/uhuHJQDwIUAwnMWnfLO9WWDJu_b0U_2Q8gjhRCOd9ZW8uqdoN0 NSC7zqhJTQCOUp2Kc1ggOX9hYIT_LIMefywO-lwOSJgbKetTisZVNHldV6q2N_uMQ

http://s1.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/1-jaromir-jagr-hair-classic-hockey-hair.jpg

Joemailman
03-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Yeah, but isn't boxing pretty much done? Yeah there's Jr vs Manny coming up, but didn't the sport die around the time Tyson bit off hoyfields ear?

And hockey is barely there, hockey is like the 15th most popular sport behind, lawn jarts and keno

Hockey is he 4th most popular team sport in the U.S. That may come as a surprise to people in Wisconsin, since Wisconsin has no professional team in hockey.

Patler
03-21-2015, 08:23 PM
Hockey is he 4th most popular team sport in the U.S. That may come as a surprise to people in Wisconsin, since Wisconsin has no professional team in hockey.

They don't have an NHL team, but they do have a professional team with the Admirals in Milwaukee.

Guiness
03-21-2015, 08:53 PM

So, Borland knew he might play just one season even before the season started? Yet, he agreed to play four years and accepted over $1 million of a contract having a total value of less than $3 million. He agreed to provide four years, but did he have the intention to provide only what normally would be expected to be the least productive and the least active of the four seasons contracted for? Was his intention to play a little special teams, a few snaps here and there behind the experienced guys, bank a million dollars, and call it a career?

When the player quits after only a very short time of a long term contract, he accepts pay in the form of a bonus, but then refuses to provide the services contracted for. When the team cuts a player, they refuse to make future payments, but don't expect the player to provide any services either. In Borland's case, the money aspect is relatively small, but the issue is there nonetheless. Did he accept payment in advance for services he never intended to provide?

Is a signing bonus for future play though? It seems to me that NFL contracts are inherently 'pay as you go' type. A signing bonus is just that - a bonus, an enticement to sign a long term contract and/or a recognition of past performance and that it will lead to more. A signing bonus is earned...when the signing occurs.

*not-withstanding the actual language of the CBA*

Rastak
03-21-2015, 09:43 PM
Sanders, Smith, and Staubach are all apples/oranges comparisons. None of them played one year and then quit b/c of potential injury. One freakin' year.

We also didn't have a climate of hysteria surrounding concussions during any of those players time frames. There's a climate of fear on long term impact out there now. I'm not sure how anyone can deny that.

It's really not hysteria, it's cold hard facts at this point it seems. I feel bad for these guys despite their millions.

esoxx
03-21-2015, 10:00 PM
What are these cold hard facts you speak of?

When one of the best rookies in the league last year plays one season and then quits saying he doesn't want to lose 10-15 years off his lifespan, that is hysteria. What proof do you have it shotens lifespans to this degree?

Hell, how the hell did Chuck Bednarik make it to the ripe age of 89 playing as long as he did?

Hysteria.

Rastak
03-21-2015, 10:06 PM

When one of the best rookies in the league last year plays one season and then quits saying he doesn't want to lose 10-15 years off his lifespan, that is hysteria. What proof do you have it shotens lifespans to this degree?

Hell, how the hell did Chuck Bednarik make it to the ripe age of 89 playing as long as he did?

Hysteria.

Dude, I'm not going to run down every story but this ain't fucking cool....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24732026/report-76-of-79-nfl-player-brains-studied-show-signs-of-cte

Read it or ignore it if you will....

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/big-issues/201102/jeanne-marie-laskas-nfl-concussions-fred-mcneill

I'm sure the was coincidental.

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/dave-duerson-the-ferocious-life-and-tragic-death-of-a-super-bowl-star-20121002

It goes on and on. How can you call the complete destruction of people's lives hysteria? They brought it on themselves in my opinion but it's real and serious.

pbmax
03-21-2015, 10:09 PM

Hysteria.

Players in years gone by had terrible helmets. As a result, they didn't use their heads to tackle. They just clotheslined your neck.

Occasionally they broke some capillaries that way and you had a hickey for a while.

http://prod.static.eagles.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/PHI/photos/features/615_chuck_bednarik_102313.jpg

Rastak
03-21-2015, 10:14 PM
I chatted with an Australian dude in the 90's who asked me the same thing. "If they didn't wear so much armour and played it like Rugby wouldn't there be fewer serious injuries?"

pbmax
03-21-2015, 10:16 PM
I chatted with an Australian dude in the 90's who asked me the same thing. "If they didn't wear so much armour and played it like Rugby wouldn't there be fewer serious injuries?"

Yep. Law of unintended consequences. They designed today's helmets to stop skull fractures and lacerations. They unintentionally made a fumble generator and Chuck Cecil.

Rastak
03-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Yep. Law of unintended consequences. They designed today's helmets to stop skull fractures and lacerations. They unintentionally made a fumble generator and Chuck Cecil.

And apparently brain dead people in numbers far larger than the general public. I love the NFL and do not want to see it dismantled.....but damn, this ain't cool.

esoxx
03-21-2015, 10:28 PM
Dude, I'm not going to run down every story but this ain't fucking cool....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24732026/report-76-of-79-nfl-player-brains-studied-show-signs-of-cte

Read it or ignore it if you will....

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/big-issues/201102/jeanne-marie-laskas-nfl-concussions-fred-mcneill

I'm sure the was coincidental.

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/dave-duerson-the-ferocious-life-and-tragic-death-of-a-super-bowl-star-20121002

It goes on and on. How can you call the complete destruction of people's lives hysteria? They brought it on themselves in my opinion but it's real and serious.
So if it's confirmed as fact that football causes the complete destruction of people's lives (no hyteria there), then why is anyone still playing this sport?

Is Chris Borland just smarter than everyone else?

Maybe the better question is, if you think football causes complete destruction of people's lives then why do you continue to watch and maybe attend games in person? That seems a bit hypocritical.

pbmax
03-21-2015, 10:28 PM
And apparently brain dead people in numbers far larger than the general public. I love the NFL and do not want to see it dismantled.....but damn, this ain't cool.

Coaching and rules changes. Plus a Commissioner who isn't governing via Press Release. Eminently doable. But it will wait until there is some kinda catastrophe, the PR or real variety.

Rastak
03-21-2015, 10:31 PM
So if it's confirmed as fact that football causes the complete destruction of people's lives (no hyteria there), then why is anyone still playing this sport?

Maybe the better question is, if you think football causes complete destruction of people's lives then why do you continue to watch and maybe attend games in person? That seems a bit hypocritical.

He and Robert Smith and Jim Brown might be smarter than the average cat.

Good question on why I watch.....same reason you do and the dudes back in Rome watched people hacked to death. It ain't us being fucked over...we're watching.

Look Essox, I love football but it seems like this shit is for real. That's all I'm saying.

pbmax
03-22-2015, 11:03 AM
Matt Maiocco
@MaioccoCSN

Ex-49ers LB Chris Borland makes it easy on his old team, as he voluntarily gives back 3/4 of his signing bonus.
http://origin.csnbayarea.com/49ers/borland-give-back-portion-signing-bonus

Patler
03-22-2015, 11:26 AM
Matt Maiocco
@MaioccoCSN

Ex-49ers LB Chris Borland makes it easy on his old team, as he voluntarily gives back 3/4 of his signing bonus.
http://origin.csnbayarea.com/49ers/borland-give-back-portion-signing-bonus

I am impressed. I respect that a whole bunch!

pbmax
03-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Now the 49ers should insist he keep it.

red
03-22-2015, 12:02 PM

yup, its not like nfl teams are hurting for money

and you could say he easily outplayed his contract last year

smuggler
03-22-2015, 12:37 PM
Absolutely, red. The real harm in his retiring is the opportunity cost of the draft pick, which is sunk, baby, sunk. The signing bonus should be his to keep. It's an incentive to sign, which he did. There are forces that compel him to serve out the contract, but he retired anyway.

red
03-22-2015, 01:17 PM
totally agree about a signing bonus being incentive to sign, that should be his no matter what, just like it would be his if he was cut last year

teams can avoid this by giving roster bonuses instead of signing bonuses, but then they wouldn't be able to stretch the cap hit out over 5 years

Rastak
03-22-2015, 02:36 PM

Why?

The 49ers are a business and they blew on 3rd round pick on a guy who doesn't want to play. My position on this is that these head injuries are a huge concern and I really feel for the guys that play but if you don't want to assume the risk don't accept the pile of money in the first place.

mraynrand
03-22-2015, 04:19 PM
I agree with Esoxx about the hysteria. Sure, there are a lot of professions that are safer than pro football, like accounting, etc. But there are those that are a lot harder and riskier. Try being on a fishing boat off Alaska. I don't see you guys lamenting the danger those guys face. Why do they do it? Shouldn't it be banned? What could be more mundane than putting your life on the line so Rastak can get cheaper cod or halibut, or whatever in the Twin Cities? Football is risk-reward, like any other endeavor. The rewards are very high, and the risk is very low. Of course, if you are one of the few who lose your mental capacities, it's a huge suck. Just like if you're the guy who gets swept off the deck into the Bering Straits.

pbmax
03-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Why?

The 49ers are a business and they blew on 3rd round pick on a guy who doesn't want to play. My position on this is that these head injuries are a huge concern and I really feel for the guys that play but if you don't want to assume the risk don't accept the pile of money in the first place.

If its a signing bonus then its his. If its not his, and he must play a certain number of games to vest it, then call it something else.

Or, just stop goofing around, outlaw bonuses, guarantee the contracts and limit them to four years.

It would be much more efficient. And several reporters and bloggers could be employed elsewhere to decipher money on the front and back ends and the points of movie contracts.

Rastak
03-22-2015, 05:44 PM
If its a signing bonus then its his. If its not his, and he must play a certain number of games to vest it, then call it something else.

Or, just stop goofing around, outlaw bonuses, guarantee the contracts and limit them to four years.

It would be much more efficient. And several reporters and bloggers could be employed elsewhere to decipher money on the front and back ends and the points of movie contracts.

Well, the term "signing bonus" is kind of generic. I have not read an NFL contract but I would assume the language is something like "We agree to fork out 400k and you agree to make yourself available to play for the duration of the contract. It would be similar to taking any kind of job with a up front bonus and language saying if you walk out we get that back since you didn't deliver the services we paid for.

Rastak
03-22-2015, 06:41 PM
I agree with Esoxx about the hysteria. Sure, there are a lot of professions that are safer than pro football, like accounting, etc. But there are those that are a lot harder and riskier. Try being on a fishing boat off Alaska. I don't see you guys lamenting the danger those guys face. Why do they do it? Shouldn't it be banned? What could be more mundane than putting your life on the line so Rastak can get cheaper cod or halibut, or whatever in the Twin Cities? Football is risk-reward, like any other endeavor. The rewards are very high, and the risk is very low. Of course, if you are one of the few who lose your mental capacities, it's a huge suck. Just like if you're the guy who gets swept off the deck into the Bering Straits.

Thing is, what is the percentage? They studied 77 brains and something like 75 were fucked up. Look, I'm neither a scientist nor a DR. I hope it isn't a large portion of retired players but it seems to be. Rewards are high but I'm not sure where you get the risks are low.

I got kicked in the nutsack a couple years back reading an article about a guy named Scott Kooistra. The article talked about how his life was basically destroyed one fine day in a pre-season game. I was like Scott Kooistra....who the fuck is that. Then I recall he was carted off in a Vikings pre-season game. He was a fringe dude so I gave it no further thought. This fucker broke his neck and I couldn't give a shit because he wasn't a starter.....anyway, kind of woke me up that these guys get a ton of money but can pay a pretty hefty price. Seems like most of them have some sort of permanent physical disability....and no I do not have the numbers.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_20719523/minnesota-vikings-lineman-scott-kooistra-rebuilding-life-after

pbmax
03-22-2015, 10:55 PM
Well, the term "signing bonus" is kind of generic. I have not read an NFL contract but I would assume the language is something like "We agree to fork out 400k and you agree to make yourself available to play for the duration of the contract. It would be similar to taking any kind of job with a up front bonus and language saying if you walk out we get that back since you didn't deliver the services we paid for.

I think it was always a signing bonus and was the players', but there was a great hue and cry raised when players got themselves in trouble and weren't available because of suspensions or legal issues during the Great Thuggery of 2007. That was when the forfeiture language was inserted into contracts. Prior to that, teams had nowhere to turn and were losing the arbitration hearings.

Guiness
03-22-2015, 11:57 PM

I hear ya. In university, I was a third string db on a team that had the league's leading rusher, he broke the league's season record at the time. He was a short guy, the MO to tackle him was to get your helmet between his knees. Sat in the change room after practice waiting for the cobwebs to clear more than once...smh

Patler
03-23-2015, 06:42 AM
It is quite clear in the CBA:

Forfeitable Breach. Any player who ....

(iv) voluntarily retires (collectively, any "Forfeitable
Breach") may be required to forfeit signing bonus, roster bonus, option bonus and/or
reporting bonus, and no other Salary, for each League Year in which a Forfeitable
Breach occurs (collectively, "Forfeitable Salary Allocations"), as set forth below:
(vi) Retirement. Should a Forfeitable Breach occur due to player's retirement,
a Club may demand repayment of all Forfeitable Salary Allocations attributable to
the proportionate amount, if any, for the present year and the Forfeitable Salary Allocations
for future years. If the player fails to repay such amounts, then the Club may seek
an award from the System Arbitrator pursuant to Article 1 5, for repayment of all Forfeitable
Salary Allocations attributable to present and future years . Repayment of Forfeitable
Salary Allocations attributable to future League Years must be made by June 1 st of each
League Year for which each Forfeitable Salary Allocation is attributable. If the player
returns to play for the Club in the subsequent season, then the Club must either (a) take
the player back under his existing contract with no forfeiture of the remaining Forfeitable
Salary Allocations, or (b) release the player and seek repayment of any remaining
Forfeitable Salary Allocations for future League Years.

Guiness
03-23-2015, 07:27 AM

Oh, I know it's clear in the language. Doesn't make it right, except to those that benefit from it.

pbmax
03-23-2015, 07:55 AM

Point was that it was added after signing bonuses had become a regular feature of deals. Teams lost several cases trying to get money back before that was added.

mraynrand
03-23-2015, 08:42 AM
Thing is, what is the percentage? They studied 77 brains and something like 75 were fucked up. Look, I'm neither a scientist nor a DR. I hope it isn't a large portion of retired players but it seems to be. Rewards are high but I'm not sure where you get the risks are low.

I got kicked in the nutsack a couple years back reading an article about a guy named Scott Kooistra. The article talked about how his life was basically destroyed one fine day in a pre-season game. I was like Scott Kooistra....who the fuck is that. Then I recall he was carted off in a Vikings pre-season game. He was a fringe dude so I gave it no further thought. This fucker broke his neck and I couldn't give a shit because he wasn't a starter.....anyway, kind of woke me up that these guys get a ton of money but can pay a pretty hefty price. Seems like most of them have some sort of permanent physical disability....and no I do not have the numbers.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_20719523/minnesota-vikings-lineman-scott-kooistra-rebuilding-life-after

again, it's risk-reward. Far more kids get killed or paralyzed biking than playing football. Want to outlaw bikes? How about skateboards, skis, etc. etc. 40,000 people die on the highways each year. Want to reduce the speed limit to 15? If you live long enough, you get alzheimers (at least for now). By the time you're 80, you have a 100% chance of having compromised mental capacity due to alzheimer's or ALZ-like protein sludge - among other things. The brain studies I've seen look at brain 'damage' in a comparison to 'normal' brain, but not so much functional studies, compared to other similarly aged adults (and I don't see comparisons of life expectancy among professions, typically, just comparisons to pristine, protected brains). OF course there are other studies showing that the conditioned NFL athlete has a lot better prognosis for other diseases, due to a lifetime of exercise, brought on by a dedication to a sport. There are many more factors to consider. It's not that the concussion stuff isn't for real, it's just that the approach to it is hysterical, as it is out of proportion. That's my point.

Yep, it's a brutal game, and it has long lasting effects. So do other things.

vince
03-23-2015, 11:34 AM

I'd say it has very little to do with intelligence and everything to do with specific circumstances and personal values. I think you're right about the risks in general but different people have different risk tolerances and exposure to the risks as well.

Concussions become progressively "easy" to sustain and potentially more damaging with each occurrence, so the risks vary by individual. If Borland sustained a concussion on a nondescript play in practice, that might have given him an inclination that he's maybe at higher risk than most.

Then add on this sidenote (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2399315-chris-borland-retires-from-nfl-at-age-24-latest-details-comments-and-reaction):

Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area reported that Borland was dealing with chronic problems in both shoulders and that the linebacker was so beat up following last season that one person close to him thought he would seriously consider retirement due to the issues.

mraynrand
03-23-2015, 11:49 AM

not at all:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-20/an-nfl-offensive-lineman-just-published-an-insanely-complex-study-in-a-math-journal

Cheesehead Craig
03-23-2015, 01:47 PM

It's not apples/oranges. They all left as they didn't want to be so hurt they couldn't enjoy their later years to their fullest. Doesn't matter how long they played, the rationale behind their decisions are the same.

smuggler
03-23-2015, 02:46 PM
People whose brain cavities have more fluid and less brain seem to be slightly more susceptible. That might seem derogatory, but it's not. Biological anomalies between this person or that, and these are subtle variances.