PDA

View Full Version : Knowing Walker was gone, why didnt we draft...

packers11
08-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Maurice Stovall.... Hes 6-5 and a perfect replacement for Walker........
Driver,Jennings,Stovall...

He was picked in the 90th selection when we had already picked 5 players before him... AND OUR BOY Cory Rodgers was picked in the 104th selection.....

What I don't get is why T.T drafted two people that are the same height 6`0 and basically were the same type of player comming out of college.... Why wouldn't he go after somoene tall like Stovall...

He has been having a pretty decent preseason SO I HEAR and it reminds people of Joe Jurevicius...

Thoughts?? I know the past is the past and we cannot change it but looking at the draft now... Wouldn't it make more sense to take two different types of recievers... Jennings.. Then Stovall??

MJZiggy
08-31-2006, 01:43 PM
I can't be absolutely certain about this, but it seems to me that Rodgers was probably drafted more for his return abilities than his receiving abilities. Besides, if Rodgers was picked at104, then Stovall wasn't available in that round.

packers11
08-31-2006, 01:48 PM
I can't be absolutely certain about this, but it seems to me that Rodgers was probably drafted more for his return abilities than his receiving abilities. Besides, if Rodgers was picked at104, then Stovall wasn't available in that round.

yes I know he would of already been taken... But since walker was gone Im sure TT could of came up with a deal trading the other 6 or so draft picks we had...

O wait... TT trading up... thats unheard of :wink:

MJZiggy
08-31-2006, 01:55 PM
But then we'd have lost out on Blackmon, Ingle Martin, Tony Moll, Johnny Jolly, Tyrone Culver, and Dave Tollefson. I think we'd have missed a few of these kids.

retailguy
08-31-2006, 01:55 PM
Maurice Stovall.... Hes 6-5 and a perfect replacement for Walker........
Driver,Jennings,Stovall...

He was picked in the 90th selection when we had already picked 5 players before him... AND OUR BOY Cory Rodgers was picked in the 104th selection.....

What I don't get is why T.T drafted two people that are the same height 6`0 and basically were the same type of player comming out of college.... Why wouldn't he go after somoene tall like Stovall...

He has been having a pretty decent preseason SO I HEAR and it reminds people of Joe Jurevicius...

Thoughts?? I know the past is the past and we cannot change it but looking at the draft now... Wouldn't it make more sense to take two different types of recievers... Jennings.. Then Stovall??

TT was looking for quantity and value at the selection point. He's said repeatedly that he took the best football player available at the moment he drafted, or if he thought he could still get the player he wanted lower, he traded down. Stovall wasn't, apparently on the radar with the pick we had before he was drafted.

You are (probably unknowingly) advocating the Mike Sherman drafting method. That method is no longer being used in Green Bay...

Tarlam!
08-31-2006, 02:04 PM
I am delighted with the 2nd TT draft. Time will tell, but I count 3 Pro Bowlers in A.J, Hodge and Jennings in that order....

Tony Oday
08-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Stovall Was my draft day pick I wanted him BAD but alas we didnt get him...

Badgepack
08-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Heck, we could have gotten Hank Baskett with our very last pick, or signed him as an undrafted free agent. 6'3" 7 ft high jumper, :evil:

falco
08-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Heck, we could have gotten Hank Baskett with our very last pick, or signed him as an undrafted free agent. 6'3" 7 ft high jumper, :evil:

Baskett would easily have been our #4.

I like TT's draft this year so far though. I think Colledge will end up being a decent tackle.

Last years draft is not looking so hot; if a couple players don't come out of there thats going to set our rebuilding back another year.

run pMc
09-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Well, IMO last year's draft is so-so. Maybe I got used to the Sherman (as GM) drafts.
Rodgers - backup, will get 1st shot at succeeding Favre. Much better this TC vs. last year, but time will tell. Franchise QB's are hard to find.
Collins - so far so good; GB got a starter here.
Murphy - bad luck there. GB could have really used him.
Underwood - an up-and-coming player after a forgettable rookie year. Bad luck here with the ACL injury.
Poppinga - Good ST player, may pan out as decent backup LB or blitzer. Not enough playing time to say for sure.
Coston - Project for sure. Probably a backup.
Hawkins - Raw. Still a project. Seems injury-prone.
Montgomery - Haven't heard much about him. Shown flashes, a backup?
Bragg - waived
Campbell - waived/IR
Whitticker - probably not suited for ZBS; started something like 14 games last year.

I'd call it a so-so draft. Whitticker and Collins started for us last year, and TT upgraded the depth. If healthy, Murphy and Poppinga would have pushed for time last year, and losing Underwood this year hurts our S depth.

run pMc
09-01-2006, 09:09 AM
I think Colledge will end up a better OT than OG. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at LT at some point this year. Clifton's still hurt. We need another Spitz clone...not sure Moll can get it done. If Ahman stays healthy, the run game will come along. Maybe not against a tough CHI def, but it will get there.

Yeah, I was hoping we'd take a late round pick on Baskett. He sounded like a bigger DD. With the KoRo drama, I bet MIN wishes they could trade McMullen back to PHI for him.