PDA

View Full Version : Who Should TT Draft In The 1st Round?

Joemailman
04-02-2015, 10:26 AM
The following players are projected to be gone by the time the Packers pick, but feel free to disagree with the prediction:

Leonard Williams, Jameis Winston, Dante Fowler Jr., Amari Cooper, Vic Beasley, Marcus Mariota, Kevin White, Brandon Scherff, Danny Shelton, La'el Collins, Shane Ray, Trae Waynes, DeVante Parker, Randy Gregory, Malcom Brown, Alvin Dupree, Landon Collins, Todd Gurley, Andrus Peat, Jaelen Strong, Ereck Flowers, Melvin Gordon, Dorial Green-Beckham, Kevin Johnson, Arik Armstead, T.J. Clemmings.

POLL TO FOLLOW

Joemailman
04-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Eric Kendricks. Don't mess around. Fix what's broken.

pittstang5
04-02-2015, 12:10 PM
I voted for Stephone Anthony - this was more of a who WILL TT draft, rather than SHOULD - IMO.

From this list, I'm having a tough time deciding from Kendricks, McKinney & Anthony. I'm cool with Anthony....I'm cool with one of those three too.

mission
04-02-2015, 02:03 PM
I'd prefer Kendricks, but think he'll be gone by #30 so I voted Anthony. He's rising according to the media even though word is that he's always been a first round guy according to a lot of team boards.

red
04-02-2015, 02:28 PM
To me with all I've read Kendricks sounds exactly like an aj hawk clone with a better tan

Joemailman
04-02-2015, 04:22 PM
To me with all I've read Kendricks sounds exactly like an aj hawk clone with a better tan

If the scouting reports are right he'll be better in coverage than Hawk ever was. Whether he'll be any more instinctive than Hawk was will remain to be seen.

texaspackerbacker
04-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Oh! So bad! You didn't even include Melvin Gordon in the poll. I see his name in the post, but not the poll. Much as I would LOVE to see Gordon playing for the Packers, it very likely won't happen - gone probably.

I would say CORNER is a higher priority early in the draft than ILB. A lot more of Matthews there along with Barrington will help a lot, along with a good ILB in the 2nd - 4th Round also. The best ILBs mentioned, though, seem like only borderline first round picks.

So if it ain't Gordon, I want a Corner in the first round.

Maxie the Taxi
04-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Anthony, no question. Just hope he's available.

smuggler
04-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Kendricks or Anthony and I'll be happy.

Bretsky
04-02-2015, 09:20 PM
Oh! So bad! You didn't even include Melvin Gordon in the poll. I see his name in the post, but not the poll. Much as I would LOVE to see Gordon playing for the Packers, it very likely won't happen - gone probably.

I would say CORNER is a higher priority early in the draft than ILB. A lot more of Matthews there along with Barrington will help a lot, along with a good ILB in the 2nd - 4th Round also. The best ILBs mentioned, though, seem like only borderline first round picks.

So if it ain't Gordon, I want a Corner in the first round.

DITTO..........They Didn't even give me the chance to go Homer...and debate between BPA or position of need.

If this draft is like others I'll be tortured as Gordon drops closer and closer to us and either he'll get snapped up right before or he'll be sitting there and TT will let him go

pbmax
04-02-2015, 09:52 PM
They are not going to draft a part time player (next two or three years likely) in Round 1. The only position they would do that at is QB if a franchise dropped to 30. Actually, maybe not even for a QB.

Joemailman
04-02-2015, 11:11 PM
DITTO..........They Didn't even give me the chance to go Homer...and debate between BPA or position of need.

If this draft is like others I'll be tortured as Gordon drops closer and closer to us and either he'll get snapped up right before or he'll be sitting there and TT will let him go

You can go homer. There's a trade up option and an other option. I don't see Gordon getting past Cowboys at 27, and could go earlier than that.

smuggler
04-03-2015, 12:48 AM
Gordo to Chargers seems almost too perfect.

vince
04-03-2015, 02:06 AM
Trade down enough to pick up Anthony or Kendricks a bit lower and pick up a 3.

A guy can hope...

texaspackerbacker
04-03-2015, 08:17 AM
You can go homer. There's a trade up option and an other option. I don't see Gordon getting past Cowboys at 27, and could go earlier than that.

I have an advantage over most of you guys. I have a second favorite team hahahaha. If the Packers can't get Melvin Gordon, the next best thing - and IMO, the most obvious thing - is Jerry Jones snags him.

Gordon WILL be a superstar in the NFL; It's just a question of where. As for his being a "part time player", what is it? One or two more years on Lacy's rookie contract? Then, I think he walks quicker than you can say "Demarco Murray". Besides, regarding that "we can't afford or wouldn't have him" as a part time player, I have to ask, how much money/cap room would it cost us? Lacy gets what? $837,000 I think? Gordon as a first rounder would get a little bit more, but not anything too extreme on a rookie contract. We can't afford another $1 or 1.5 million? Or is it the risking of a #1 draft pick? Maybe there is logic to that, but if Gordon is half as special as I think, grabbing a Corner in the 2nd and an ILB in the 3rd instead of 1st and 2nd would be a risk well worth taking.

Here's an idea: while the Cowboys are thinking at #27 and Gordon is still there, trade them Lacy to move up and get Gordon - let them throw in a #2 or a #3 pick in the deal.

Maxie the Taxi
04-03-2015, 10:26 AM
I hope Dallas does draft Gordon...which would mean Todd Gurley went earlier to San Diego or Oakland. Everything else being equal (i.e., Gurley's ACL injury is not a factor) Gurley is a better NFL RB than Gordon. If I'm wrong, then all of these guys are wrong too: Scout: Todd Gurley best RB in draft since Adrian Peterson (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000483229/article/scout-todd-gurley-best-rb-in-draft-since-adrian-peterson)

smuggler
04-03-2015, 10:50 AM
Push all those non-QB, non-RB players down to 30, 'kay thanks!

Pugger
04-03-2015, 01:04 PM
Kendricks or Anthony and I'll be happy.

Will either guy be there at #30? That is the question.

red
04-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Will either guy be there at #30? That is the question.

they probably both will be

i've said for months that this draft looked to be very weak at ILB, i think a lot of these guys are being way over projected right now

we see this every year.

anthony is the guy this year. about a month or two ago it came out that the packers were high on him, and people started saying green bay might even take him in the second. then it started turning to, if the packers are willing to take him in the 2nd, well team X might since they need an ILB. then it gets all the way up to the point where green bay might take him in the 1st, now all of a sudden out of the blue people are worried that he won't be there when we pick

a lot of these guys we're talking about as possible first round picks are still projected by a lot of people to be mid to later round picks

Maxie the Taxi
04-03-2015, 02:25 PM
That's how it works, red. The combine performances made a definite difference. For instance, Anthony proved athletic and fast. Dawson was a bust. Perryman's height shrunk.

It's all a crap shoot as scouts do more research and players have their pro days and dui arrests. Nothing makes that more clear than the mock draft computer games. Where people get drafted depends on who is compiling the big board. And there's a big board for every team and scout out there.

The only one that matters is the one TT is drawing up...and none of us knows what it looks like.

Carolina_Packer
04-03-2015, 03:14 PM
I like Eric Kendricks, and it fills an immediate need. The scouting reports say he can cover a TE, so then you'd have your thumper in Barrington and your sideline to sideline/cover ILB with Kendricks. I think he's a better athlete than A.J. Hawk, comparing both coming into the NFL.

According to Peter King's mock draft, he has TT taking Denzel Perryman, even making the comment that the Packers love him. I'm sure they love a lot of players, but when have you ever known the team to really tip their hand? I guess HHCD was easy to spot from a mile away as a pick last year.

If you read this article on ILB's, Kendricks is the top of the list, and Anthony is down the list. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2015/4/2/8329337/2015-nfl-draft-inside-linebacker-rankings-eric-kendricks-paul-dawson

It would interesting to see who they have given first round grades on their big board.

red
04-03-2015, 05:38 PM
i can show you 20 different list that have all the ILBs going in all different kinds of orders

hell, i think it was the USA today draft magazine that only had 1 first round ILB (Mckinney) one guy as a second rounder (can't remember who) and all the rest as mid to late rounders

others think Mckinney is a sure fire bust because is football IQ is shit

its funny you should think that kendricks is more athletic then hawk was coming out

kendricks combine numbers (he did not complete the whole workout cause he pulled a hamstring, not sure if it was packer hamstring or not)

6'0, 232 pounds (played in college in the 220's)
40 yard dash- 4.61
20 yard dash -2.64
10 yard- 1.57
reps of 225 - 19
vertical- 38
broad jump- 10'4
didn't do 20 yrd shuttle or 3 cone

Hawk

6'1, 248
40 Yrd Dash: 4.65 (at his pro day he ran a 4.47, but ohio states pro day times are always very fast)
20 Yrd Dash: 2.72
10 Yrd Dash: 1.57
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 24
Vertical Jump: 40
Broad Jump: 09'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 3.96
3-Cone Drill: 6.82

red
04-03-2015, 05:50 PM
That's how it works, red. The combine performances made a definite difference. For instance, Anthony proved athletic and fast. Dawson was a bust. Perryman's height shrunk.

It's all a crap shoot as scouts do more research and players have their pro days and dui arrests. Nothing makes that more clear than the mock draft computer games. Where people get drafted depends on who is compiling the big board. And there's a big board for every team and scout out there.

The only one that matters is the one TT is drawing up...and none of us knows what it looks like.

its funny, i've got all the lindy's draft mags for the last 6 or so years. its amazing how much of a crap shoot the draft is when you go back and read some of the things that experts thought of many of the players

for instance, in 2009, on their big board

#1- michael crabtree - bust
#2 aaron Curry- out of the league by 2013

on the other hand

#46- clay mathews Jr

wist43
04-03-2015, 05:58 PM
Of the guys I've looked at on that list, so far I like...

Marcus Peters, CB, Washington
PJ Williams, CB, FSU
Bernardrick McKinney, LB, MSU

Depending on how the draft falls, maybe trade down for any one of those guys - or again, depending on how it falls, stay put for one of those guys.

I didn't like what I've seen of Kendricks to want him in the first round.

Just starting to look thru players now though.

Carolina_Packer
04-03-2015, 08:29 PM
I hope they get the best available player, whether that's Kendricks in the 1st in their estimation or not. I'm sure they will address ILB and CB early, but whatever order they do it, I'm sure they know what they are doing. I think this discussion, and the list shows that there is no obvious choice, as much as there was last year.

wist43
04-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Two more guys I've checked out and like quite a bit...

Shaq Thompson, LB/RB, Washington
Quinten Rollins, CB, Miami-OH

Thomspon could be a steal if he's there at 30. He plays much faster than the 4.6 he's listed at... I wouldn't hesitate to play him inside. He's undersized and consideration would have to be given to keeping him fairly clean; but on passing downs I could see the guy being a seek and destroy rover playing underneath zones, man, and blitzing occassionally.

Rollins would be a nice fit in the 2nd round... not sure he'll be there at our 2nd pick.

call_me_ishmael
04-04-2015, 03:00 AM
I don't know how anyone could have watched Clay play his senior year of college and not realize he was a beast. I believe it was OSU that they were playing on Saturday Night football, and I was blown away by his speed. It was obvious from day one seeing him that he'd be a great player. Acceleration was off the charts.

Bretsky
04-04-2015, 04:01 AM
Two more guys I've checked out and like quite a bit...

Shaq Thompson, LB/RB, Washington
Quinten Rollins, CB, Miami-OH

Thomspon could be a steal if he's there at 30. He plays much faster than the 4.6 he's listed at... I wouldn't hesitate to play him inside. He's undersized and consideration would have to be given to keeping him fairly clean; but on passing downs I could see the guy being a seek and destroy rover playing underneath zones, man, and blitzing occassionally.

Rollins would be a nice fit in the 2nd round... not sure he'll be there at our 2nd pick.

On board with Shaq Thompson as well if he falls a bit; that dude can do a lot of things and is a bit freakish as an athlete

Max Williams would not surprise at all either

Pugger
04-04-2015, 10:12 AM
TBH the draft can't come quick enough. This waiting is getting old. Every Packer forums is loaded with mock drafts. :wait:

red
04-04-2015, 10:51 AM
TBH the draft can't come quick enough. This waiting is getting old. Every Packer forums is loaded with mock drafts. :wait:

only 4 more weeks

:roll:

Bretsky
04-04-2015, 02:18 PM
IS ANYBODY GOING TO CHICAGO TO ATTEND THE DRAFT ?

I have to catch up; hands down this is the year I have studied the least up to this point. I miss that knucklehead Lurker.....still remember our fights where I kept pimping Brooks Reed and he was pimping Donte Mock...sp ?

Instead TT plucked the Sherry

red
04-04-2015, 04:09 PM
IS ANYBODY GOING TO CHICAGO TO ATTEND THE DRAFT ?

I have to catch up; hands down this is the year I have studied the least up to this point. I miss that knucklehead Lurker.....still remember our fights where I kept pimping Brooks Reed and he was pimping Donte Mock...sp ?

Instead TT plucked the Sherry

no

i don't think any of the players are gonna show up either

Bretsky
04-04-2015, 09:29 PM
That would be classic..Red and I attend draft and rant about Brandon Flowers.....end up too drunk and miss the Packers pick anyways......lol

red
04-04-2015, 10:00 PM
That would be classic..Red and I attend draft and rant about Brandon Flowers.....end up too drunk and miss the Packers pick anyways......lol

no, we'd show up and get shit faced while waiting the 4 hours for the packs pick, only for TT to trade out of the first

and of course we wouldn't have day 2 tickets

red
04-04-2015, 10:01 PM
GET THE FUCKING BALL TO DEKKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pbmax
04-04-2015, 11:01 PM
I am going to need to rest after that one. Probably another beer.

smuggler
04-05-2015, 04:18 PM
The year we drafted Jordy, wasn't day 1 rounds 1-3? Then 3-7 made up day 2.

IIRC they added a third day recently. (4years ago?)

red
04-05-2015, 06:48 PM
The year we drafted Jordy, wasn't day 1 rounds 1-3? Then 3-7 made up day 2.

IIRC they added a third day recently. (4years ago?)

they just changed it up in the last couple of years so they can make round 1 a prime-time TV event

2010 was the first year they started it on a thursday with round 1, then rounds 2-3 on friday, the rest on saturday

the good ole days had rounds 1 and 2 on saturday and the rest on sunday

pbmax
04-05-2015, 09:23 PM
they just changed it up in the last couple of years so they can make round 1 a prime-time TV event

2010 was the first year they started it on a thursday with round 1, then rounds 2-3 on friday, the rest on saturday

the good ole days had rounds 1 and 2 on saturday and the rest on sunday

The good old days had the draft on Tuesday starting at 7 am central. You had to skip class to watch.

Patler
04-05-2015, 11:41 PM
The good old days had the draft on Tuesday starting at 7 am central. You had to skip class to watch.

The good old days had the draft held on a Monday in November, with some players not even finding out who picked them for a couple days. Fans were lucky to know by the weekend.

smuggler
04-06-2015, 01:27 AM
Same good ole days that had teams picking players based on their College listings for height / weight / position /stats... heh