PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy the Packers next starter at CB?

Patler
04-10-2015, 08:21 AM
I doubt it. Not in 2015, anyway, But maybe we will see why they kept him on the roster after an up and down training camp last year. The off season fluff piece about Demetri Goodson:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-cornerback-demetri-goodson-wants-to-tackle-starting-role-b99478273z1-299280341.html

Then there's the 2014 sixth-round pick Goodson — a former Gonzaga point guard — who might be the best-kept secret on the roster.

He played zero defensive snaps as a rookie, finishing with six special teams tackles in six games.

He also starred daily on the scout team during practice. By Goodson's count, he picked off Aaron Rodgers "six or seven times."

Pugger
04-10-2015, 09:19 AM
The coaches must see something in him to keep him on the roster and let Williams and House walk. It is difficult for us to know seeing practices are closed to the public and media after TC concludes.

Joemailman
04-10-2015, 09:19 AM
A fluff piece for sure, but his point about facing Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson in practice every day is a valid one. Plus, Whitt has been the best Packers position coach at developing young talent. I expect Hayward to start outside this year, but Goodson's speed and vertical may make him the better player there eventually.

pittstang5
04-10-2015, 09:28 AM
The coaches must see something in him to keep him on the roster and let Williams and House walk. It is difficult for us to know seeing practices are closed to the public and media after TC concludes.

And must have seen something to keep him over Rolle. Still hurts that he left for Houston and ending up getting 3 INTs in 6 games.

Zool
04-10-2015, 09:36 AM
A fluff piece for sure, but his point about facing Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson in practice every day is a valid one. Plus, Whitt has been the best Packers position coach at developing young talent. I expect Hayward to start outside this year, but Goodson's speed and vertical may make him the better player there eventually.

Plus, Hayward seems to play much better in the slot. He does most of his damage there.

mraynrand
04-10-2015, 09:46 AM
And must have seen something to keep him over Rolle. Still hurts that he left for Houston and ending up getting 3 INTs in 6 games.

Did you see the INTs? I saw two and they were totally random. Guy was probably in the wrong spot on both of them.

Guiness
04-10-2015, 09:50 AM

Was thinking myself that he must've shown more than Rolle.

vince
04-10-2015, 09:51 AM
We fans know nothing whatsoever about the extent of his development at this point. We have to wait until camp to have much of an idea. I think there's a good chance he's improved and I like his competitive mindset but how much is anyone's guess.

Our experience at Safety indicates that relying on a late round pick and/or UDFA to develop has its down-side risk. A relatively high draft pick this year rather than next would add to the competition and then if Goodson rises and earns playing time we would likely have a lot more confidence going into the year.

Patler
04-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Our experience at Safety indicates that relying on a late round pick and/or UDFA to develop has its down-side risk. A relatively high draft pick this year rather than next would add to the competition and then if Goodson rises and earns playing time we would likely have a lot more confidence going into the year.

On the other hand, the experiences with Shields and Williams indicate that you can find quality corners outside of thos drafted high. The Packers clearly need to bring in another quality prospect, but Goodson will be an interesting story to follow in camp.

vince
04-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Yep. Without looking it up (or even knowing where to find it) I'd say Ted's late/undrafted successes outnumber other GMs. Even at that though, the odds of finding success diminish considerably with each round. It can happen, and once they're on the team, where/whether they were drafted gets thrown out the window. But without knowing who, what, when and where at this point, the chances for a nameless rookie to come in and have quick success or challenge for the starting position/playing time in 2015 are higher if he's a high pick.

pbmax
04-10-2015, 10:22 AM
I wonder, especially given that safeties don't get paid like CBs, if they are truly easier to find than CBs. The Packers' experience would seem to indicate they are harder to find late.

Could also be a strength of Whitt's, and not such a strength of Perry's, to develop raw players.

pittstang5
04-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Did you see the INTs? I saw two and they were totally random. Guy was probably in the wrong spot on both of them.

I knew someone was going to come in here and say something like that. Who cares how he did it, the point is he did it. It just added to my questioning of why Goodson was kept over Rolle. I saw more from Rolle in the preseason then I did Goodson. Goodson looked lost and was always a step or two behind, yet he gets a spot on the 53 and Rolle is essentially cut.

Patler
04-10-2015, 10:24 AM
If Goodson were a rookie, I wouldn't give him much chance of contributing. A year of practices and working with his coaches, plus apparent drive and athleticism, might allow him to challenge even a high draft pick this year.

Patler
04-10-2015, 10:27 AM
I knew someone was going to come in here and say something like that. Who cares how he did it, the point is he did it. It just added to my questioning of why Goodson was kept over Rolle. I saw more from Rolle in the preseason then I did Goodson. Goodson looked lost and was always a step or two behind, yet he gets a spot on the 53 and Rolle is essentially cut.

I tend to think it would be because they saw more potential in Goodson long term. Whichever one occupied that roster spot was not expected to play, and in fact Goodson didn't, so they weren't looking at immediate performance, but long term potential, I think.

pittstang5
04-10-2015, 10:40 AM
I tend to think it would be because they saw more potential in Goodson long term. Whichever one occupied that roster spot was not expected to play, and in fact Goodson didn't, so they weren't looking at immediate performance, but performance long term, I think.

Yes, I get that. But I was looking at short term and felt Goodson's performance in the preseason (sucked) that he'd be safe on the Practice Squad.

Shields is good for being out a game or two, Hayward - you had to worry about his hamstring injury coming back, House was wishy/washy and got hurt a lot too and Hyde was switching to safety. I'd rather have Rolle come in for a game or two over Goodson.

Patler
04-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Yes, I get that. But I was looking at short term and felt Goodson's performance in the preseason (sucked) that he'd be safe on the Practice Squad.

Shields is good for being out a game or two, Hayward - you had to worry about his hamstring injury coming back, House was wishy/washy and got hurt a lot too and Hyde was switching to safety. I'd rather have Rolle come in for a game or two over Goodson.

Williams, Shields, Hayward, House, Hyde - there were five guys ahead of Rolle/Goodson for playing time at corner. I don't think they were worried that much about immediate contribution form the 6th CB on the roster. Rolle had spent a good portion of 2013 on the practice squad, so maybe they thought he was safer there than was Goodson because of his better athleticism or something.

I would like to have Rolle in the mix this year, but I suspect there are others of equal promise out there. Just need to find another one.

Carolina_Packer
04-10-2015, 11:26 AM
Carl Bradford, although drafted higher than Goodson, can be viewed as the same type of project since they likely thought of him as an OLB, and may now be looking at him at ILB. A lot of people commented in another thread about how he looked lost too. Welcome to the NFL, rook!

mraynrand
04-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Who cares how he did it, the point is he did it.

I do. And so should you. If Rolle was some sort of super stud, I'd be concerned about him getting away, and what that says about the Packer organization (but what about every other organization too? I mean it is Catawba college for crissakes). However, if more likely, he was just fortunately placed in an advantageous spot to grab a few INTs, it means just that. I suppose now we're all expecting a matchup between pro bowlers Jumal Rolle and Charles Johnson, right? Seriously, gotta be reasonable about these guys hanging on at the bottom of the roster. At least wait a few years before passing judgement. My prediction is that all these guys will look pretty marginal in the long run.

pittstang5
04-10-2015, 01:50 PM
I do. And so should you. If Rolle was some sort of super stud, I'd be concerned about him getting away, and what that says about the Packer organization (but what about every other organization too? I mean it is Catawba college for crissakes). However, if more likely, he was just fortunately placed in an advantageous spot to grab a few INTs, it means just that. I suppose now we're all expecting a matchup between pro bowlers Jumal Rolle and Charles Johnson, right? Seriously, gotta be reasonable about these guys hanging on at the bottom of the roster. At least wait a few years before passing judgement. My prediction is that all these guys will look pretty marginal in the long run.

Hey now, slow down there. No one is saying Rolle is the next "super stud," nor am I saying the Packers left a probowler go. My point was simply, 3 ints is 3 ints. You can't discount that no matter how he got them. For a a guy that was "hanging on the bottom of the roster," that's pretty damn good.

I'm not looking to get into a pissing match here, but Rolle outperformed Goodson in the preseason - plain and simple. Rolle continues his ascension in this league by getting picked up and then having a hell of an end of the year. During the same time, Goodson can't find the field. I, and others too, questioned why Goodson was kept over Rolle. Rolle getting on the Texans 53 then having the end of the year he did, only left us Packers fans questioning whether TT may have let a good player go - especially now since the CB position in Packerland is what it is with House and T-Will gone. That's all I'm pointing out. I can only go off of what I see, and I saw Rolle as the better option at the time. I'm not saying he'll be the next Revis or Richard Sherman, but I thought he was the better option over Goodson.

In my original post, I stated - they (the coaches), must have seen something in Goodson to protect him from being grabbed up. Unfortunately, I have no clue what that is. As a Packer fan, I hope they made the right move and until I see something positive from Goodson, I'm going to think Rolle was the better option.

Had House or Williams been re-signed, I don't think were having this conversation. But the fact that the CB situation in Packerland is what it is, I'm thinking the Pack would be in better shape if Rolle were still with the team.

mraynrand
04-10-2015, 02:47 PM
^^^ Good post. I just wonder if Packer brass saw Goodson as having a higher ceiling. Still, both guys probably are depth at best. They will have to address that position in the draft or RFA, if for no other reason but to create competition.

Joemailman
04-10-2015, 03:00 PM
I think the Goodson/Rolle decision probably just came down to perceived upside. Rolle might have been better as a rookie, but I don't think TT makes roster decisions based on what a player can give him as a rookie. He's looking down the road a bit. The thing to remember about Goodson is that he only played 19 games in college at CB. He's still learning the position. Rolle wasn't signed off the Packers practice squad until October 1. Perhaps by then Goodson was already starting to show improvement in practice.

HarveyWallbangers
04-10-2015, 06:15 PM
I wish we had both Rolle and Goodson. Not sure why Ted didn't activate Rolle when Houston came calling. They had an open roster spot. Isn't Rolle younger than Goodson? I think Rolle has upside too. I'm not one to question personnel decisions much, but I question that one.

Bretsky
04-10-2015, 06:22 PM
I liked Roell better than Goodson

And now Patler.....is bringing on the possibility that Goodson will come the next Victim of THE CURSE

Goodson's career is probably ruined

Guiness
04-10-2015, 07:20 PM
I wish we had both Rolle and Goodson. Not sure why Ted didn't activate Rolle when Houston came calling. They had an open roster spot. Isn't Rolle younger than Goodson? I think Rolle has upside too. I'm not one to question personnel decisions much, but I question that one.

I think when Houston came calling, it was too late - it was obviously a better opportunity for him than the Packers, he was pretty much guaranteed to see the field, even start, whereas with the Packers he was not even likely to be game day active.

As far as his interceptions, I'll only be concerned if he repeats that feat. Who was the Packer DB drafted as part of the reaction to Moss who caught 5 or so, and was off the team a couple years later?

smuggler
04-10-2015, 08:04 PM
You are thinking of Antuan Edwards, but he was a safety. Vinson would probably have been a good player if not for knees made of crafting plaster. Mike McKenzie was worth his 2nd round pick, attitude aside. Edwards was a clean first-round bust aside from a solid/decent rookie year.

Patler
04-10-2015, 10:48 PM
... Not sure why Ted didn't activate Rolle when Houston came calling. They had an open roster spot...

I think when Houston came calling, it was too late - it was obviously a better opportunity for him than the Packers, he was pretty much guaranteed to see the field, even start, whereas with the Packers he was not even likely to be game day active.

A recent article confirmed what Guiness wrote. Apparently, GB made an offer to Rolle when Houston made its offer, but Rolle rejected it because he felt his opportunity to play in Houston was much better.

The article also gave some insight into TT's thinking on roster management. Several times he has left an open roster spot for several weeks, and had one before Rolle left. If he had offered a contract to Rolle when there was no other team interested, Rolle probably would have signed, so why didn't he? TT said with an open roster spot they felt they had their entire practice squad protected. If anyone was offered a contract, they could counter the offer without having to release anyone. If the team has few injuries, he can leave a spot open until he needs it if injuries thin a position, or to try to keep a practice squad player who gets an offer.

Patler
04-10-2015, 10:53 PM

And now Patler.....is bringing on the possibility that Goodson will come the next Victim of THE CURSE

:lol: Could be, although I think it applies most strongly to O-linemen.

Fritz
04-11-2015, 07:14 AM
A recent article confirmed what Guiness wrote. Apparently, GB made an offer to Rolle when Houston made its offer, but Rolle rejected it because he felt his opportunity to play in Houston was much better.

The article also gave some insight into TT's thinking on roster management. Several times he has left an open roster spot for several weeks, and had one before Rolle left. If he had offered a contract to Rolle when there was no other team interested, Rolle probably would have signed, so why didn't he? TT said with an open roster spot they felt they had their entire practice squad protected. If anyone was offered a contract, they could counter the offer without having to release anyone. If the team has few injuries, he can leave a spot open until he needs it if injuries thin a position, or to try to keep a practice squad player who gets an offer.

Which could mean - though not necessarily - that there was someone on the PS they liked more than Rolle. Or it could mean they were trying to stay flexible, depending on injuries to determine who gets offered a contract. Which means they're all fodder.

Pugger
04-11-2015, 07:23 AM
^^^ Good post. I just wonder if Packer brass saw Goodson as having a higher ceiling. Still, both guys probably are depth at best. They will have to address that position in the draft or RFA, if for no other reason but to create competition.

This has to be why he was kept over Rolle.

Carolina_Packer
04-11-2015, 07:24 AM
http://totalpackers.com/2015/03/24/now-the-packers-are-sorry-about-jumal-rolle/

I had never seen this site. This guy is gonzo, which I suppose you have to be to stand out in a crowded world of fan sites.

The easiest thing to do is second guess and take pot shots at people who actually get to make the decisions, but then how would fan sites exist without the level of nitpicking this guy is displaying. Sure, be disappointed in a decision, but don't act like there is no plan. You just may not like the plan. TT clearly is not perfect, but all GM's have hits and misses. It looks like he may have missed on this one, but as one of the commenters said, if he found a Jumal Rolle before, he can find one again.

mraynrand
04-11-2015, 07:52 AM
but as one of the commenters said, if he found a Jumal Rolle before, he can find one again.

perhaps it's just a dead time of the offseason, but Jumal Rolle is beginning to achieve epic status. The All pro, hall of fame, 15 year corner Ted let get away! :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
04-11-2015, 11:06 AM
http://totalpackers.com/2015/03/24/now-the-packers-are-sorry-about-jumal-rolle/

I had never seen this site. This guy is gonzo, which I suppose you have to be to stand out in a crowded world of fan sites.

The easiest thing to do is second guess and take pot shots at people who actually get to make the decisions, but then how would fan sites exist without the level of nitpicking this guy is displaying. Sure, be disappointed in a decision, but don't act like there is no plan. You just may not like the plan. TT clearly is not perfect, but all GM's have hits and misses. It looks like he may have missed on this one, but as one of the commenters said, if he found a Jumal Rolle before, he can find one again.

Guys like this are part of what's wrong with sports today. I actually agree with much of his sentiment but not in his way of expressing himself. I guess you get more clicks to your website this way. I don't know if people are generally more rude nowadays or if the anonymity of a computer draws it out of people more.

mraynrand
04-11-2015, 12:08 PM
I don't know if people are generally more rude nowadays or if the anonymity of a computer draws it out of people more.

both?

Joemailman
04-11-2015, 12:12 PM
I don't know if people are generally more rude nowadays or if the anonymity of a computer draws it out of people more.

Go do your whining somewhere else, moron. :razz:

pbmax
04-11-2015, 12:25 PM

He doesn't play O line. He might avoid the proverbial lightning strike.

pbmax
04-11-2015, 12:36 PM
perhaps it's just a dead time of the offseason, but Jumal Rolle is beginning to achieve epic status. The All pro, hall of fame, 15 year corner Ted let get away! :wink:

The highest fan bestowed honors are as follows:

1. Just You Wait Emergency Starter (Harris, Bigby)

2. All Pro Elect UDFA, Camp Edition. Its a miracle they got him signed to the PS.

3. Bretsky's Draft Lock (the Chaddies)

4. Patler's Offseason Workout Warrior Awards (the Atlas Awards)*

5. pbmax's Athletic Wonder Who Cannot Actually Play Football (the Sherrys)

* (must feature M3 praise to be eligible)

pbmax
04-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Dammit. Forgot the actual number 1 fan award:

1. The Bruce Wilkerson Thanks for Saving Our Ass Award

2. Just You Wait Emergency Starter (Harris, Bigby, maybe name this the Tankys)

3. All Pro Elect UDFA, Camp Edition. Its a miracle they got him signed to the PS.

4. Bretsky's Draft Lock (the Chaddies)

5. Patler's Offseason Workout Warrior Awards (the Atlas Awards)*

6. pbmax's Athletic Wonder Who Cannot Actually Play Football (the Sherrys)

* (must feature M3 praise to be eligible)

Patler
04-11-2015, 12:58 PM
It appears TT had a plan to keep both Rolle and Goodson, it just didn't work quite as he had hoped.

Why didn't he sign Rolle to the active roster a week or so earlier when he had an opening? Lots of reasons, probably, some of which might include:

- he knew he needed a spot in a month to activate Tretter, if he didn't have a thin position due to injuries, why not keep the opening while he could?
- the practice squad also included others he didn't want to lose. Banjo, Dorsey, Allen, Doughty, Hill, Hubbard, Perillo, Robinson, Vujnovich and White were on the squad at the time.
- the day after Rolle left, they signed Luther Robinson to the active roster as both Boyd and Jones were hurt. The open spot was gone.
- Dorsey, Perillo and Banjo ultimately made it to the active roster later in the season, too.
- Hubbard, White and Vujnoichand never made it to the active roster, but are still with the Packers, so they obviously liked them too.

Rolle may not even have been the one they liked the most on PS. Who knows? When push came to shove because of the competing offer, he tried to keep Rolle, but if Rolle and Banjo both had offers, might it have been Banjo he focused on?

Striker
04-11-2015, 02:54 PM
Guys like this are part of what's wrong with sports today. I actually agree with much of his sentiment but not in his way of expressing himself. I guess you get more clicks to your website this way. I don't know if people are generally more rude nowadays or if the anonymity of a computer draws it out of people more.

He makes some of the posters here look absolutely eloquent by comparison.

pbmax
04-11-2015, 03:29 PM

If that was all it took, this site would be worth a fortune now.

vince
04-11-2015, 08:23 PM
The Carl Bradford/Joe Thomas article is scheduled for next week. Khyri Thornton the week after. Elliott and Hubbard OLBs after that.

I actually do look forward to seeing how some of these guys develop.

Can't wait to usher in the Kyle Sebetic - special teams demon - era.

Bretsky
04-11-2015, 09:35 PM
He doesn't play O line. He might avoid the proverbial lightning strike.

It's like the stock market; hit it big on the tech sector so now it's time to dominate the pharmaceuticals

Patler owns the OL curse; now he's broadening his horizons. This guys career may be over very soon.

Fritz
04-14-2015, 07:47 AM
Goodson sure talks like a cornerback.

smuggler
04-14-2015, 08:42 AM
Athletically, he's there. The technique was bad last year. Only time will tell if he's gotten any better.

Bossman641
04-14-2015, 09:07 AM
If Goodson is going to develop he needs to do it quickly as he will already be 26 when the season starts.