PDA

View Full Version : How many new faces one week from today?

MuttnJeff
08-31-2006, 02:26 PM
The Packers are near the top of the picking list for the waiver wire this year. Plus the roster behind the starters is weak. I would not be surprised if there are 4 or 5 players from other teams brought on. Some positions of need (in order of likelihood):

offensive line
defensive end
safety
fullback
wideout
running back

BlueBrewer
08-31-2006, 02:47 PM
I would love to see a capable running back come to the team.

falco
08-31-2006, 02:47 PM
The Packers are near the top of the picking list for the waiver wire this year. Plus the roster behind the starters is weak. I would not be surprised if there are 4 or 5 players from other teams brought on. Some positions of need (in order of likelihood):

offensive line
defensive end
safety
fullback
wideout
running back

What might be a better question is who will be cut to make room for those players? Its pretty easy to guess who'll get cut to trim us to 53 (or at least close); but we'll have to cut one player below that for each player we pick up from another team; those decisions will be interesting.

MuttnJeff
08-31-2006, 02:59 PM
What might be a better question is who will be cut to make room for those players?

There are plenty of guys who might make the 53 who could get swapped-out the next day. Davenport. Montgomery. Coston. Martin (the QB). Leech. Lee. the 4th safety.

they only have about 6 or 7 sure O-linemen.

This is not a team where it is hard to find vulnerable roster spots.

sepporepi
08-31-2006, 04:56 PM
I looked at the roster at packers.com and this is my prediction for the opening day.

QB Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Ingle Martin
RB Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport, Samkon Gado
FB William Henderson, (FA)
WR: Robert Ferguson, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Rod Gardner, Ruvell Martin
TE Bubba Franks, David Martin, Donald Lee
LT Chad Clifton, Daryn Colledge
LG Jason Spitz, FA
C Scott Wells, Chris White
RG Tony Moll, (FA)
RT Mark Tauscher, Junius Coston

Total: 24-26
On Roster so far 23

Defense
LDE Aaron Kampman, Dave Tollefson
LDT Colin Cole, Kenderick Allen, Cullen Jenkins
RDT Ryan Pickett, Corey Williams
RDE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Michael Montgomery?, Jason Hunter?
SAM Ben Taylor, Brady Popping
MIKE Nick Barnett, Abdul Hodge
WILL A.J. Hawk, Roy Manning
LCB Charles Woodson, Ahmad Carroll
RCB Al Harris, Jason Horton, Mike Hawkins
SS Marquand Manuel, Tyrone Culver
FS Nick Collins, (FA)

Total: 24-25
On Roster so far: 24/(23)

Special Teams
Dave Rayner ,Jon Ryan, Rob Davis

Total: 3

So I think they will bring in
maybe 1 FB
1-2 G
1S
Maybe the cut/trade one DL for another DL or something of the above

HarveyWallbangers
08-31-2006, 05:30 PM
sepporepi,

I'd agree--although I wouldn't be surprised if they brought in a DE either.

CaliforniaCheez
08-31-2006, 08:18 PM
2 players not currently on the roster will be there.

I think it will be a replacement for Martin and a replacement for Leach.

woodbuck27
08-31-2006, 08:23 PM
I would love to see a capable running back come to the team.

What for...

untill we get OUR OL conditioned / ready ...just to offer some decent

PROTECTION? It's referred to as BLOCKING. :mrgreen:

PACKER FAN FAITH ! (See Below)

Do something REAL Ted... to HELP OUR OL.

woodbuck27
08-31-2006, 08:32 PM
sepporepi;

First welcome to PACKERRATS. I don't recall seeing your previous posts Packer fan. post often.

Nice post this one... and I almost agree with your CUTs,

but I believe that Vonta Leach remains as we need his blocking skills and well... he made a catch in the Bengals Game. :mrgreen:

GO PACK GO ! PACKER FAN FAITH.

Heads up on Offense... Ted ! HELP Please.

woodbuck27
08-31-2006, 08:48 PM
sepporepi,

I'd agree--although I wouldn't be surprised if they brought in a DE either.

Harvey:

T2 hasn't made a whole lot of noise in that direction (DE) and he won't. Yet,

" he'll say that he feels that with the likes of Aaron Kampman and KGB whom the Packer Coach's have alot of confidence in... and well... their developing backups ie Mongomery and Tollefson that there isn't a need at DE. That he likes what he's seeing on the DL so far overall and the OL is developing, that soon will get there, as he has full confidence in Coach McCarthy and his staff."

He'll say that...

"it certainly will take some time, but that he's very confident we'll get there this season with the talent on the team and after working so hard in TC."

Ted will assure us by saying (in a BIG wrap-up):

"To simply trust that, as he certainly does."

In other words. It's really all about...

Packer Fan Faith... in Ted Thompson. TRUST.

MJZiggy
08-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Sepporepi, Nice list, I believe that they were planning on keeping 6 receivers so you can add one more in there depending on who they turn to for k/p returns. I'm hoping they don't use Woodson and Jennings both in that capacity. Also, they were trying other guys at the FB position, including Sam, although they haven't played him there this week.
___

I would also be very surprised if TT brought in any o-line guys with the intention of starting them. These guys have to learn their timing and flow and putting another body in there now would likely do more harm than good in the short run at least (meaning the Chicago game and first half of the season).

M3 is also working the guards/tackles to play by sides not position so you end up with the backups backing up both tackle and guard and the starters able to play both positions on their side so if anyone has to get moved, they do it that way. I'm not sure how it affects the cuts, but it seemed interesting.

MuttnJeff
09-01-2006, 09:00 AM
sepporepi,

There is nothing particularly wrong with keeping these players that you list: Ingle Martin, Junius Coston , Ruvell Martin, Dave Tollefson, Roy Manning, Michael Montgomery, Jason Hunter, Davenport

I just think there will be surprises because the Packers are feeding near the top of the waiver trough, and there are 31 other teams. I guess one or two of these marginal guys will get swapped with players from other teams.

MuttnJeff
09-01-2006, 09:03 AM
I would also be very surprised if TT brought in any o-line guys with the intention of starting them.

The guys being swapped would be mainly special teams players. the 48-53 roster spots.

Green Bud Packer
09-01-2006, 09:12 AM
the Packers are feeding near the top of the waiver trough.good point muttnjeff. which one of you is posting,mutt or jeff?

Terry
09-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Well, sepporepi, what do you think? Think maybe Ingle Martin and Herron got themselves spots on the roster today?

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Herron played hard. I thought Ingle Martin looked like crap.

MJZiggy
09-01-2006, 07:10 PM
After watching this game, I think there will be lots of new faces come Monday.

Willard
09-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Hopefully Denver or Atlanta cuts a competent OG who is well versed in ZBS. Anybody know if this is likely?

justanotherpackfan
09-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Herron played hard. I thought Ingle Martin looked like crap.
We can't release Ingle....He has 80 speed in Madden.

Brohm
09-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Hopefully Denver or Atlanta cuts a competent OG who is well versed in ZBS. Anybody know if this is likely?

No doubt. Moll has some nice potential, but would rather see him learn behind Taucher and (insert experienced ZBS guard here). Clifton and Spitz (more of a gamer) on the left side with Colledge learning behind them and we would seem to be set up pretty good for the O-line of the future with some competancy in the present.

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2006, 07:24 PM
We can't release Ingle....He has 80 speed in Madden.

:D

Rumor has it that the Broncos might try to stash Greg Eslinger on the practice squad. Chris Kuper, a kid from North Dakota who I wanted the Packers to draft, has looked like a late round steal for the Broncos.