PDA

View Full Version : McGinn's predraft rankings of the Packers draft picks

Patler
05-03-2015, 05:35 AM
I always look back to McGinn's rankings of the players the Packers pick. Frequently, the Packers seem to take guys higher than McGinn's predraft rankings might suggest, This year was a bit different.

Here are McGinn's predraft rankings:

Randall - #2 ranked safety, included in McGinn's "top 100" list, mocked as 20th pick.
Rollins - #4 ranked safety, included in McGinn's "top 100".
Montgomery - #1 ranked KR, 3rd of "others" after 14 ranked WRs, included in "top 100".
Ryan - #7 ranked ILB.
Hundley - #4 ranked QB, included in "top 100".
Ripkowski - 2nd of "others" after 3 ranked FBs.
Ringo - not listed.
Backman - not listed.

Obviously, this means little, or nothing. I just find it interesting.

Bretsky
05-03-2015, 06:55 AM
For those who like TT (I am not one but I'm not a hater either) you have to consider those sixth round picks classic TT upside over production picks and for those who don't like TT they are the I'm smarter than everybody else picks.
Well, maybe except of the fullback. Honestly I hate that pick; we can get the top fullback every year in the draft in round 5 or 6 and I think Kuhn is still just fine and we still have better needs.

In round six there were a lot of guys out there with real time college production on their resumes who were "rated" way better than what Green Bay Picked. Several of us threw names out there.

Instead TT plucked a couple guys most have never heard of....assuming based on high end upside. I hope Ted is right.

King Friday
05-03-2015, 09:26 AM
I think Kuhn is still just fine and we still have better needs.

I think Kuhn is old and has the potential to start breaking down at any point. I'm sorry...but a kid just out of college is probably a better option as a battering ram than some guy in his 30s, and I'm sure this kid also has more speed than Kuhn. Ripkowski also apparently has very reliable hands as a receiver...which would be a tremendous addition. Kuhn no longer has the capacity to provide anything out of the backfield...he's so damn slow he can't get out of the backfield to even become a receiver. Kuhn used to be a guy who could make a catch a week. He's not that guy anymore, and it is a liability in his game.

vince
05-03-2015, 12:55 PM
For those who like TT (I am not one but I'm not a hater either) you have to consider those sixth round picks classic TT upside over production picks and for those who don't like TT they are the I'm smarter than everybody else picks.
Well, maybe except of the fullback. Honestly I hate that pick; we can get the top fullback every year in the draft in round 5 or 6 and I think Kuhn is still just fine and we still have better needs.

In round six there were a lot of guys out there with real time college production on their resumes who were "rated" way better than what Green Bay Picked. Several of us threw names out there.

Instead TT plucked a couple guys most have never heard of....assuming based on high end upside. I hope Ted is right.
It's all "assuming." Those names you and others threw out were not "rated way better" by the Packers scouting department obviously. Ted stayed true to their board and listened to his scouts' projections.

How any of us can honestly think we know more about projecting NFL talent and how to run a draft than the guy who's proven to be the best in the business at it is beyond me. Most guys at the bottom of the draft and undrafted's don't hit. More of Ted's hit than anyone else in the world.

pbmax
05-03-2015, 01:46 PM
The lesson should have been Nick Collins. Everyone throws a fit about the pick being a reach, only to learn over the course of a few days that some other quality franchises had him highly rated too.

I give credit to Kiper for reminding everyone that value matters when making a pick. Now we need someone to remind us that scouting information that is publicly available is poor.