PDA

View Full Version : Jared Allen, Base OLB?

pbmax
05-10-2015, 07:51 AM
Vic Fangio will have Jared Allen at a new position when not in nickel.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/10/vic-fangio-thinks-jared-allen-can-have-a-rebirth-in-new-defense/

“He did well in the minicamp we had here, and I think he was excited about it,” Fangio said, via ESPN.com. “Like I told him, I think he can have a rebirth to his career here playing a little bit of a new position. But in the NFL today, you play more nickel than you actually play base. For some teams they play nickel 65 to 75 percent of the time. He’ll be playing his normal position then. So it’s not as drastic of a change as you might think.”

Guiness
05-10-2015, 09:30 AM
Vic Fangio will have Jared Allen at a new position when not in nickel.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/10/vic-fangio-thinks-jared-allen-can-have-a-rebirth-in-new-defense/

Doesn't seem to me like he's suited for that move - he's a great DE, but I thought he'd be too stiff to make this move - more Kampman than Peppers - and no, not because he's white!

red
05-10-2015, 10:28 AM
yeah, peppers was able to do it because he's a freak

not sure i see it with allen

mraynrand
05-10-2015, 11:27 AM
For some teams they play nickel 65 to 75 percent of the time.

What about Allen as a lineman in the 2-4?

pbmax
05-10-2015, 01:20 PM
What about Allen as a lineman in the 2-4?

Don't forgot rule 403.c.2, if a player has his hand in the dirt in a 3-4 defense, he is a lineman. Two point stance? Linebacker.

bobblehead
05-10-2015, 01:36 PM
Doesn't seem to me like he's suited for that move - he's a great DE, but I thought he'd be too stiff to make this move - more Kampman than Peppers - and no, not because he's white!

I disagree on Kampman. He was coming around nicely at the position when he blew out his knee. I wish it hadn't happened because I would have like to see how he finished that season.

I agree on Allen though. He is more quick twitch athlete than fluid athlete. He likely can't move in a way required to play in space.

mraynrand
05-10-2015, 03:45 PM
I disagree on Kampman. He was coming around nicely at the position when he blew out his knee.

Bwaa ha ha!

Rutnstrut
05-10-2015, 08:39 PM
I would be willing to bet Allen will do just fine. I think he is a much better player and athlete than people give him credit for.

bobblehead
05-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Bwaa ha ha!

Still waiting for clay to match that 15.5 sack season btw.

Zool
05-11-2015, 02:39 PM
Allen has never set a good edge against the run, he's a 1 trick pony but made a living getting after the QB. Last year he looked like he lost a step. If anyone can find him in a coverage situation, you throw at him 100% of the time.

Cheesehead Craig
05-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Allen has never set a good edge against the run, he's a 1 trick pony but made a living getting after the QB. Last year he looked like he lost a step. If anyone can find him in a coverage situation, you throw at him 100% of the time.

This. He may have been good vs the run at some point, but not anymore. I don't see him as a guy who can do well in space in coverage situations at all.

mraynrand
05-11-2015, 06:37 PM
Still waiting for clay to match that 15.5 sack season btw.

How would Clay do that when he's in coverage and can't just rush the passer from the weak side all the time. Two very different players with vastly different skill sets asked to do very different things. Weird that you would try to equate them, except for the fact that you bizarrely think that Kampman was improving in coverage before his demise. Nothing could be further from reality (except maybe your political views! :wink:)

Patler
05-11-2015, 08:35 PM
Vandermause thought Kampman was making progress:

It’s absurd to call Kampman a bust in the 3-4 defense, as some observers have done. While it’s obvious he was a better fit as an end in the 4-3 defense, he was making strides as an outside linebacker in the 3-4 before blowing out a knee in November.

http://archive.packersnews.com/article/20100307/PKR07/100307035/Mike-Vandermause-column-Green-Bay-Packers-fiill-one-need-another-lingers

vince
05-15-2015, 09:39 AM
yeah, peppers was able to do it because he's a freak

not sure i see it with allen
Agree. He won't be dropping to cover in space too often. We think Perry's stiff in space I can't wait to see Allen trying to cover. Maybe McCarthy can force that to happen week 1. There's either a mismatch or predictability there.