PDA

View Full Version : Hey Bretsky, Vikes trade for Bollinger

Rastak
08-31-2006, 05:33 PM
DT CJ Mosley for Brooks Bollinger......

HarveyWallbangers
08-31-2006, 05:37 PM
You're joking, right?

I'm a Bollinger guy. He's a North Dakota kid. He can be okay managing games, but I thought Mosley had some good potential. Man, has his star fallen off.

Rastak
08-31-2006, 05:38 PM
You're joking, right?

I'm a Bollinger guy. He's a North Dakota kid. He can be okay managing games, but I thought Mosley had some good potential. Man, has his star fallen off.

Vikings deal Mosley for Bollinger
Thursday, August 31st, 2006 by Judd Zulgad The Vikings have acquired fourth-year quarterback Brooks Bollinger from the New York Jets for second-year nose tackle C.J. Mosley, according to NFL sources. Bollinger and Mosley both must complete physicals before the trade becomes officials.

Mosley has left the team in Dallas and is headed to New York. Bollinger played in only one game over his first two seasons with the Jets after playing college football at Wisconsin.

With Chad Pennington hurt last season, however, Bollinger started nine times and played in 11 games, completing 150 of 266 passes for 1,558 yards and seven touchdowns with six interceptions.

Bollinger figures to become the Vikings’ backup quarterback. Mike McMahon likely will be released this weekend when cuts are made to 53.

ahaha
08-31-2006, 05:39 PM
This obsession the Vikings have with former Wisconsin sports stars is getting real 'John Mark Karr'ish. Quite scary!

Rastak
08-31-2006, 05:49 PM
Hmmmmm, there is confusion now.....

Might not have been Mosley,,,,

According to KFFL.com the jets got Kolodziej. We still have Mosley.

Vikings | Bollinger acquired
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 15:45:33 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings have acquired QB Brooks Bollinger from the New York Jets in exchange for DL Ross Kolodziej. The deal will be finalized once both players pass their physicals.

gbpackfan
08-31-2006, 06:00 PM
HA HA HA. Either way, it doesn't matter. Bollinger sucks. But they really didn't give up anything to get him. Interesting though.

Rastak
08-31-2006, 06:09 PM
HA HA HA. Either way, it doesn't matter. Bollinger sucks. But they really didn't give up anything to get him. Interesting though.

Yea, both guys were on the bubble (Koj and Mosley) so one was going to get cut......

Bretsky
08-31-2006, 06:23 PM

Bollinger will be a backup for more years in the NFL. Incredibly smart dude; but I'm not sure why Minnesota would want him with their new draft pick ? Unless he definitely needs more time to develop.

Frickin Minnesota Badgers.

Bollinger was a great College QB FOR THE BADGERS SYSTEM. But he's a below average 2nd string QB who is very smart. I see him coaching in the NFL within 10 years like Bevell.

B

Rastak
08-31-2006, 06:59 PM

Bollinger will be a backup for more years in the NFL. Incredibly smart dude; but I'm not sure why Minnesota would want him with their new draft pick ? Unless he definitely needs more time to develop.

Frickin Minnesota Badgers.

Bollinger was a great College QB FOR THE BADGERS SYSTEM. But he's a below average 2nd string QB who is very smart. I see him coaching in the NFL within 10 years like Bevell.

B

McMahaon is horrible so either he'll (Bollinger) be second or third string....I'm guessing second...although Tarvaris Jackson has played quite well thus far.

Lare
08-31-2006, 07:52 PM
I read on another site that the Vikings are trying to sign Tommy Thompson as a scouting advisor. According to reports he meets all of their hiring requirements, which basically means he has worked for or been affiliated with anything related to Wisconsin.

Rastak
08-31-2006, 07:54 PM
I read on another site that the Vikings are trying to sign Tommy Thompson as a scouting advisor. According to reports he meets all of their hiring requirements, which basically means he has worked for or been affiliated with anybody that is related to Wisconsin.

No no no..........it's either former Badgers or former Eagles....

HarveyWallbangers
08-31-2006, 09:23 PM
They traded Mosley. I'm a little surprised. Mosley is a big guy with some upside. Ross K. just isn't very good with little upside. Of course, he likely had ZERO trade value.

Zool
08-31-2006, 10:15 PM
This is probably one of those trades where both guys were going to be cut so why risk someone else picking up a guy you want.

Rastak
08-31-2006, 10:19 PM
They traded Mosley. I'm a little surprised. Mosley is a big guy with some upside. Ross K. just isn't very good with little upside. Of course, he likely had ZERO trade value.

Ross K clearly outplayed CJ in the preseason....word from the media was CJ was getting cut....I am surprised CJ didn't show better this preseason, he looked good last year, relativly speaking.

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Vikes also gave up an "undisclosed draft choice" for Bollinger.

Packers4Glory
09-01-2006, 04:28 AM
i'm one of the few it seems that still like that guy. Get him in the right system and I think he can be a good QB. some guys bounce around quite a bit before figuring things out and finding a system that suits their abilities.

Rastak
09-01-2006, 05:14 AM
Vikes also gave up an "undisclosed draft choice" for Bollinger.

Yea I saw that, why are draft choices "undisclosed" anyway?

run pMc
09-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Not sure, but sometimes undisclosed turns out to be conditional...
or they've agreed in principle, but have yet to hash out all the details.

That said, with Bevell the OC, I'm not too surprised he's gonna get another Alvarez QB. Not to bash BB; I liked the guy when he was a Badger...but he's a backup. I don't think he's gonna win many games for MIN.

McMahon has had a bad pre-season, and MIN really likes Tavaris Jackson as the QB of the future. They couldn't sign AJ Feeley because Brad Johnson is a starting QA making backup $$$ and it would look really bad to sign your backup for more than your starter.

MIN QB situation is looking a little dicey. Giving up a player + a draft pick for Brooks is a "now" move, not a future move.

Rastak
09-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Not sure, but sometimes undisclosed turns out to be conditional...
or they've agreed in principle, but have yet to hash out all the details.

That said, with Bevell the OC, I'm not too surprised he's gonna get another Alvarez QB. Not to bash BB; I liked the guy when he was a Badger...but he's a backup. I don't think he's gonna win many games for MIN.

McMahon has had a bad pre-season, and MIN really likes Tavaris Jackson as the QB of the future. They couldn't sign AJ Feeley because Brad Johnson is a starting QA making backup $$$ and it would look really bad to sign your backup for more than your starter.

MIN QB situation is looking a little dicey. Giving up a player + a draft pick for Brooks is a "now" move, not a future move.

What I'm hearing is a 7th round pick by the way...

Zool
09-01-2006, 09:47 AM
A guy who was going to get cut and a 7th round pick for a backup QB with a few actual starts, that seems more than reasonable. I doubt they think he's going to come in and set the world on fire, but he's a hellova lot better than JT O'Sullivan.

Rastak
09-01-2006, 09:57 AM
A guy who was going to get cut and a 7th round pick for a backup QB with a few actual starts, that seems more than reasonable. I doubt they think he's going to come in and set the world on fire, but he's a hellova lot better than JT O'Sullivan.

O'Sullivan and McMahon were just awful this preseason. O'Sullivan was particularly putrid last night.

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2006, 10:34 AM
I don't know. They had some depth at DT. The guy they were going to cut looked decent to me last year, and I thought he would have some trade value. I know McMahon has sucked, but as much as I like Brooks on a personal level, I don't know that he'd be much better than Tarvaris Jackson THIS YEAR. It just smells like a Mike Sherman trade. Trading late picks like they were nothing (e.g. Truluck, Brad Bedell, etc.) for guys that aren't really going to improve the team. Plus, Bollinger was going to be cut because he was behind Pennington, Ramsey, and their rookie QB (Clemens). Sure, they might have missed out on Bollinger when he was a FA, but I would think that the Vikings job would have been attractive to him. How many other teams would he be the #2 QB and be close to home? Either way, it's probably not a big deal, but if I were GM, I would have waited. I imagine there are going to be a lot of Brooks Bollinger caliber QBs hitting the waiver wires in the next week. Hell, the Vikings would have a chance on getting Brian Wrobel this weekend.
:D

Zool
09-01-2006, 10:34 AM

O'Sullivan and McMahon were just awful this preseason. O'Sullivan was particularly putrid last night.

Yes...yes he was. And was that a mullet I saw him sporting? The only thing I would be worried about as a Vikings fan is a Brad Johnson injury. Jackson has looked good against 2's and 3's but 1's might be a different story.

I would think they follow the same route with him that Cinci had Palmer on. Sit this year. Start next year watching and take over during the season. Oh, and draft a RB. Chester will not be the answer.

Rastak
09-01-2006, 10:40 AM

Yes...yes he was. And was that a mullet I saw him sporting? The only thing I would be worried about as a Vikings fan is a Brad Johnson injury. Jackson has looked good against 2's and 3's but 1's might be a different story.

I would think they follow the same route with him that Cinci had Palmer on. Sit this year. Start next year watching and take over during the season. Oh, and draft a RB. Chester will not be the answer.

Jackson didn't look too good last night, but he looked okay when he got one series with the 1's against Baltimore. I wouldn't want him starting this year though.....

Fosco33
09-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Brooks was a prick at UW - always thought his shit didn't stink - scraping w/ drunk guys and having the lineman take care of the fights. I'm glad he got some PT last year and it proves he'll be a backup for awhile.

Now, his Dad is a class act - real nice guy and a smart football man. I got to talk w/ him once working at the telefund - he even gave some cash.