PDA

View Full Version : What a pro athlete's paystub looks like.

Patler
05-23-2015, 05:52 AM
Andrew McCutcheon left his paystub in the locker room, so naturally it ended up on Deadspin. Some highlights from his two week pay:

Gross pay - $820,659.88 ($10 million/year)
Fed income tax - $322,074,
Medicare - $19,285.
State taxes - $16,775 (PA, MO & IL all got a cut of this one!).

$9,856 went to the "Pittsburgh Professional Athlete Fee". I assume a special city tax, presumably for facilities.

Here's the photo

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--vCX1Oicl--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/1263616356002227236.jpg

Patler
05-23-2015, 06:02 AM
More info on the "Pittsburgh Professional Athlete Fee", which is paid by any nonresident who uses public facilities to perform:

The City Code, Title II, Article X, Chapter 271 imposes a usage fee equal to three percent (3%) of earned income upon each non-resident who uses a publicly funded facility to engage in an athletic event or otherwise render a performance for which a non-resident receives remuneration. The usage fee is a percentage of the individual’s income attributable to such individual’s usage of the facility.

A copy of the ordinance:
http://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/finance/10_UF-1_sports_regs.pdf

bobblehead
05-23-2015, 09:18 AM
This seems political to me and my feelings are hurt. Move it.

Cheesehead Craig
05-23-2015, 12:04 PM
He's only putting $1500 in his 401k? Great, another future SS leech.

sharpe1027
05-23-2015, 01:36 PM

Isn't that the max amount to still get the tax benefit?

Patler
05-23-2015, 02:54 PM
Isn't that the max amount to still get the tax benefit?

Yup. No reason for him to put any more than that in it.

run pMc
05-23-2015, 03:50 PM
He'll get a pension too. MLB offers a pension plan.

Guiness
05-24-2015, 05:58 PM
The 'Pro Athlete Fee' is an interesting spin, and not something that gets any press. I assume it's one of the ways the state recovers the monies laid out to subsidize a stadium - the owners get tax breaks, concessions stands in a public building, profit from parking fees to keep the teams in the state- and it gets clawed back from the athletes who have much less say over where they go.

Is medicare is also a %age of gross? 20K*12 months = 240K, pretty crazy amount. I'm guessing significantly more than you'd pay for the best in private coverage...

Rastak
05-24-2015, 07:51 PM

What's a SS leach? It seems if you pay in you should expect something back per the deal we all understood.

Anyway, wish my pay stub looked like that.

mraynrand
05-25-2015, 10:55 AM
What's a SS leach? It seems if you pay in you should expect something back per the deal we all understood.

LOL. What did you understand?

Brandon494
05-25-2015, 11:06 AM
Imagine what Cano's contract looks like...he signed a 10 year $240M contract.

If you son if trying to decide between baseball and football I think baseball is the easy decision here.

Patler
05-25-2015, 12:12 PM

If you son if trying to decide between baseball and football I think baseball is the easy decision here.

Especially if he pitches left handed.

sharpe1027
05-25-2015, 03:55 PM

High School players are also something like 6 times more likely to play in the MLB (0.5%) than in the NFL (0.08%).

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Probability-of-going-pro-methodology_Update2013.pdf

I imagine that the longevity of careers and lack of severe brain injuries also is pretty one-sided.

Then again, 99% will not make either league and even fewer will earn much more than the minimum, so play what you enjoy.

Rastak
05-25-2015, 08:10 PM
LOL. What did you understand?

I think we can all understand I had one too many. :-)

I guess all of us that understand what SS is supposed to be.....:glug:

mraynrand
05-26-2015, 06:20 AM
I guess all of us that understand what SS was supposed to be.....:glug:

yup

Cheesehead Craig
05-26-2015, 07:58 AM
Sorry, I meant the SS crack to be a joke and didn't mean to get it all political in here. I'll go back to the Community Ed booklet and register for their Humor on Websites workshop.

mraynrand
05-26-2015, 08:48 AM
I'll go back to the Community Ed booklet and register for their Humor on Websites workshop.

I failed that course

Patler
05-26-2015, 10:14 AM
High School players are also something like 6 times more likely to play in the MLB (0.5%) than in the NFL (0.08%).

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Probability-of-going-pro-methodology_Update2013.pdf

I imagine that the longevity of careers and lack of severe brain injuries also is pretty one-sided.

Then again, 99% will not make either league and even fewer will earn much more than the minimum, so play what you enjoy.

I think it is measuring "professional", not MLB or NFL. There aren't a lot of professional opportunities in football other than the NFL. Hockey, baseball and basketball have their "minor leagues" as well as professional leagues in other countries.

sharpe1027
05-26-2015, 12:54 PM
I think it is measuring "professional", not MLB or NFL. There aren't a lot of professional opportunities in football other than the NFL. Hockey, baseball and basketball have their "minor leagues" as well as professional leagues in other countries.

As best as I can determine, it is the percentage drafted. So, undrafted FA's aren't counted, but drafted players that are cut or never make it to the final rosters are counted. There are a lot more players drafted for MLB because of the minors; but that is still a paying gig with a potential big payout down the road. Also, part of the differences is that there are also twice as many high school football players as there are high school baseball players.

As I said, the odds are so small regardless. So, you might as well just do what you like the most (and you're probably more likely to be better at something you like anyway).