PDA

View Full Version : Hawk fined for illegal hit

falco
08-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Head-to-head shot costs him $5,000
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 31, 2006

Green Bay - Rookie linebacker A.J. Hawk's welcome-to-the-NFL moment didn't come on a tackle he made or a pass he deflected this summer for the

It came with a notice from the league that he had been fined $5,000 for "impermissible use of the helmet" during the Atlanta game Aug. 19.

When asked about the play recently, Hawk said he had not yet received a letter from the National Football League but had been told by teammates he should probably expect one. Players were not made available to reporters Thursday but a league spokesman confirmed that Hawk had been fined.

Hawk collided head-to-head with Falcons quarterback D.J. Shockley as he came up the middle on a blitz. Though his intent might not have been to hit Shockley with his helmet, he appeared to leap as he attempted to sack the quarterback.

The officials flagged Hawk for a 15-yard personal foul penalty on the play.

The rules are clear about such collisions. According to the rule book, "No defensive player may hit the quarterback in the head, face or neck."

Helmet-to-helmet hits almost always draw a fine from the league office. Film of every game is reviewed and the NFL's director of football operations, Gene Washington, decides whether a player should be fined.

hurleyfan
08-31-2006, 08:52 PM
Falco,
I didn't see the game(just got to see the stinker against the Bengals!), did you see it? The play in question??

MasonCrosby
08-31-2006, 08:52 PM
eh, hawk's got fire in his veins i guess...

falco
08-31-2006, 08:57 PM
From what I remember from the hit it didn't seem that bad; I thought he was flagged for driving the quarterback into the ground; I don't even remember the helmet to helmet contact.

I just remember being happy he was being a bruiser, even though it drew a pnealty.

MasonCrosby
08-31-2006, 08:59 PM
From what I remember from the hit it didn't seem that bad; I thought he was flagged for driving the quarterback into the ground; I don't even remember the helmet to helmet contact.

I just remember being happy he was being a bruiser, even though it drew a pnealty.

yes, at least he tackles with force and authority unlike the weak way the team tackles most of the time

Tony Oday
09-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Pretty soon the QBs will have red jerseys on so you cant hit them...

Chubbyhubby
09-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Even though the play was pentalized and he got a fine You have to like the emotion he showed out there.

Speaking about Hawk last week. He didn't seem to stand out. I have read somewhere that during training camp he didn't stand out either.

I hope he continues to make big hits. Hope the money he recieved from the Packers being the 5th overall pick won't change his attiude.