PDA

View Full Version : Adams Ready for Second Year Jump Says Rodgers

pbmax
06-11-2015, 08:00 AM
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=50031

“In my mind, he has humongous upside – and he’s starting to reach that upside,” Rodgers said after the team’s open-to-the-public organized team activity practice. “I think the opportunities are going to come for him. He’s got two great guys to play with. His attention to detail is very impressive and his approach."

hoosier
06-11-2015, 08:19 AM
Cletidus Hunt had a humongous upside too but unfortunately it only realized itself as a humongous backside. That said, Green Bay receivers under TT and MM don't seem to suffer from the curse of untapped potential. Is that because TT knows how to pick em or because MM's staff knows how to develop them? Or because ARod could make Robert Ferguson look like a star?

pbmax
06-11-2015, 08:24 AM
Turd was one of the few players Favre called out publicly. Have to think he was resistant to learning in some way.

Pugger
06-11-2015, 08:51 AM
Cletidus Hunt had a humongous upside too but unfortunately it only realized itself as a humongous backside. That said, Green Bay receivers under TT and MM don't seem to suffer from the curse of untapped potential. Is that because TT knows how to pick em or because MM's staff knows how to develop them? Or because ARod could make Robert Ferguson look like a star?

Yes.

Guiness
06-11-2015, 09:45 AM
Turd was one of the few players Favre called out publicly. Have to think he was resistant to learning in some way.

Work ethic, etc, was never RFs problem, he just could never take that last step to put it all together. The Bush of the WRs I guess you'd say.

smuggler
06-11-2015, 12:58 PM
I don't think the traumatic impact with Donovan Darius helped his progression, either.

Pugger
06-11-2015, 02:32 PM
I don't think the traumatic impact with Donovan Darius helped his progression, either.

Yes, he was never the same after that hit.

Fritz
06-12-2015, 09:46 AM
If Adams can make that jump, and Janis can make a big jump, that will bode well for this receiving corps. I am excited by the possibility of Janis stretching defenses.

sharpe1027
06-12-2015, 09:57 AM
If Adams can make that jump, and Janis can make a big jump, that will bode well for this receiving corps. I am excited by the possibility of Janis stretching defenses.

Janis couldn't even make it on the field last year. It would be a big jump just to get him a few catches. Screw it, I'm on board. Hope springs eternal... :glug:

Tony Oday
06-12-2015, 10:02 AM
With our QB, O-Line and RB this should be good. RR and Quarless make a jump it would be MUCH better than a 4th WR making the Jump.

Freak Out
06-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Work ethic, etc, was never RFs problem, he just could never take that last step to put it all together. The Bush of the WRs I guess you'd say.

Wow....what a slap in the face. Bush was much better than Turd...even though we cursed his name quite a few times. :)

Patler
06-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Janis couldn't even make it on the field last year. It would be a big jump just to get him a few catches. Screw it, I'm on board. Hope springs eternal... :glug:

One of the coaches said he was ready to play, the problem was that they had a lineup that was working, and there was no reason to change it. He mentioned that it was unfair to Janis that he did not get on the field.

Smidgeon
06-12-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm onboard the Janis hype train, but I'm also thinking the hype this year is about potential. You don't get the same "he's about to shine" with him as you do with Adams. It's more the "he's earning trust and making plays, but he still needs to improve".

I think Janis might be a player that makes the big jump going into year three instead of 2. He'll be on the field more, but not quite as we all hope.

Guiness
06-12-2015, 12:02 PM
Wow....what a slap in the face. Bush was much better than Turd...even though we cursed his name quite a few times. :)

Ferguson was a good special teams player and acknowledged hard worker that never broke through to be a viable starter. He was ok as a 4th WR. Bush was much the same, excelled on ST but you didn't want him at CB except maybe as a dime back. I think a lot of the difference was that Ferguson was drafted in the 2nd round, and expected to become a starter, whereas Bush was a UDFA, so everything beyond a camp body was a bonus.

sharpe1027
06-12-2015, 01:21 PM
One of the coaches said he was ready to play, the problem was that they had a lineup that was working, and there was no reason to change it. He mentioned that it was unfair to Janis that he did not get on the field.

Maybe so, but he couldn't even get active ahead of Boykin. Maybe he was marginally better than Boykin, but the excuse that he was only left out because "there was no reason to change it," rings hollow. The "reason" should have been that he was clearly the better option. That is why I am tempering my expectations.

Guiness
06-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Maybe so, but he couldn't even get active ahead of Boykin. Maybe he was marginally better than Boykin, but the excuse that he was only left out because "there was no reason to change it," rings hollow. The "reason" should have been that he was clearly the better option. That is why I am tempering my expectations.

That's where I tend to fall as well - by that time in the season, Boykin was obviously out of their plans for the future, he was getting few offensive snaps and no looks, so why not give the guy you're hoping is the future some reps? The only reason I can think of that would support the story that there was no room for Janis is that he couldn't play STs. I know Boykin played them, but I don't know if he was much of a contributor that way.

smuggler
06-12-2015, 02:54 PM
I think that GB just didn't want him ingraining the 'wrong' techs he brought with him from a small school. It's harder to learn the right way when you've been practicing and playing under the wrong for so long... Not like we were desperate for him, so let him do things right!

Pugger
06-12-2015, 03:45 PM

I agree with you. I would think the coaches would put the best guys out there - or those who had the best week of practice out there on game days. It will be fun to see how he does this summer.

KYPack
06-12-2015, 04:48 PM
I'm onboard the Janis hype train, but I'm also thinking the hype this year is about potential. You don't get the same "he's about to shine" with him as you do with Adams. It's more the "he's earning trust and making plays, but he still needs to improve".

I think Janis might be a player that makes the big jump going into year three instead of 2. He'll be on the field more, but not quite as we all hope.

I sing with the chorus here.

It probably took Janis all of his first season to learn how to use his practice reps.

Now he's got to learn how to play in a regular season game.

Guiness
06-12-2015, 06:11 PM

It probably took Janis all of his first season to learn how to use his practice reps.

Keep whistlin' Dixie, KY, I've a feeling it'll be just as useful. Don't know why I'm so pessimistic about this guy, but I am. Maybe it's because everybody wants him to succeed so badly that I just shake my head at how far he has to go to even make the team, with probably only one WR spot up for grabs (assuming Montgomery doesn't pull a Corey Rodgers).

Patler
06-12-2015, 06:47 PM

I'm not expecting him to be anything more than Boykin. He certainly wasn't going to unseat Adams for #3 WR, last year, nor will he this year.

I think the point was they had a rotation that didn't include Boykin or any 4th WR much at all, and that is what was working that they were unwilling to change just to give Janis some playing time. They were comfortable with Boykin in his role on STs, so again, no reason to change.

What would have been interesting is if Nelson, Cobb or Adams had missed games late in the year. Would it have been Boykin or Janis moving into the 3rd WR role?

This year he is fighting for the #5 spot, which absent injuries will likely be inactive a good part of the time. I expect Montgomery to get the #4 spot by default because he will be returning kicks.

pbmax
06-12-2015, 07:33 PM
Janis will be on the team somewhere. They aren't going to give up the measurables in Year 2 unless he goes backwards. Or unless he tackles Rodgers, punches a coach, dates his daughter, falls down and loses a leg,

Guiness
06-12-2015, 11:52 PM
Janis will be on the team somewhere. They aren't going to give up the measurables in Year 2 unless he goes backwards. Or unless he tackles Rodgers, punches a coach, dates his daughter, falls down and loses a leg,

Ah, coach punching. The downfall of many a rising star.

Speaking of someone with an apparent history of it, Barbre's doing pretty well in Philly, but how long will it be, really, before he clock Chip one?

KYPack
06-13-2015, 12:47 AM
Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post

Keep whistlin' Dixie, KY, I've a feeling it'll be just as useful. Don't know why I'm so pessimistic about this guy, but I am. Maybe it's because everybody wants him to succeed so badly that I just shake my head at how far he has to go to even make the team, with probably only one WR spot up for grabs (assuming Montgomery doesn't pull a Corey Rodgers).

Pure, 100% camp hope, with a shot of Kool-aide on the side.

3irty1
06-13-2015, 07:43 AM
The beauty of a guy like Janis is that he can do a lot of damage with just a handful of snaps per game. That's the kind of guy you love coming off the bench.

Pugger
06-13-2015, 09:21 AM
Ah, coach punching. The downfall of many a rising star.

Speaking of someone with an apparent history of it, Barbre's doing pretty well in Philly, but how long will it be, really, before he clock Chip one?

Barbre had a history doing this? First I heard of it. Tell us the particulars.

KYPack
06-13-2015, 10:29 AM
Barbre had a history doing this? First I heard of it. Tell us the particulars.

There were rumors to that effect on PR during Barbre's time with the team.

Nobody really knows if it's true or just a PR "sea story", but it's cool so everybody keeps it goin'.

Guiness
06-13-2015, 12:34 PM

Nobody really knows if it's true or just a PR "sea story", but it's cool so everybody keeps it goin'.

Yup, you gotta mention that, touch on something about Odell Thurman and throw in a little Taco Wallace love to maintain your status around here!

sharpe1027
06-13-2015, 12:36 PM
I'm not expecting him to be anything more than Boykin. He certainly wasn't going to unseat Adams for #3 WR, last year, nor will he this year.

I think the point was they had a rotation that didn't include Boykin or any 4th WR much at all, and that is what was working that they were unwilling to change just to give Janis some playing time. They were comfortable with Boykin in his role on STs, so again, no reason to change.

What would have been interesting is if Nelson, Cobb or Adams had missed games late in the year. Would it have been Boykin or Janis moving into the 3rd WR role?

This year he is fighting for the #5 spot, which absent injuries will likely be inactive a good part of the time. I expect Montgomery to get the #4 spot by default because he will be returning kicks.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood the intent when you quoted my original post saying it will be a big jump just to get him some catches. Yes, expecting him to maybe get a few catches like Boykin did last year is more realistic.

Patler
06-13-2015, 01:41 PM

Wasn't that a totally fabricated story, from someone's comment that "he must have it a coach or something"? Others started goofing with it to the point that years later people remember it as maybe true.

Guiness
06-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Wasn't that a totally fabricated story, from someone's comment that "he must have it a coach or something"? Others started goofing with it to the point that years later people remember it as maybe true.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up. Was 2008 or 2009 season I think, the cupboard was pretty bare at guard Colledge and Moll and a Tauscher limping onto the field at RT. Barbre had been around for a few seasons but he was not seeing the field.

When someone here asked why, the response (wish I knew who said it?? I want to say Bresky, or maybe Skin?) was that he heard he'd punched a coach.

pbmax
06-13-2015, 03:21 PM
But seriously, Chris Jacke was dating a daughter of Mike Holmgren.

Guiness
06-13-2015, 05:50 PM
But seriously, Chris Jacke was dating a daughter of Mike Holmgren.

Was her nickname 'The Walrus' too? Cause if so, she'd likely have been happy for any date she got.