View Full Version : Samkon Gado

Joemailman
08-31-2006, 09:47 PM
Let's see it
Gado needs to pick his game up
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 30, 2006
Green Bay - An oasis in an otherwise barren land of despair last season, Green Bay Packers running back Samkon Gado raised hopes with his late-season success that he could be the kind of hidden gem starter Ahman Green was six years ago.

Samkon Gado, last year's surprise, has played about 30 snaps this pre-season and carried 13 times for 29 yards, a 2.2-yard average.

Gado spent the off-season as the No. 1 running back because of injuries Green and backup Najeh Davenport were still rehabilitating and had the ability to take his case to the new coaching staff without much competition around him.

But it turned out Gado was slow to adapt to the team's new zone blocking running scheme and failed to establish himself as at least a solid No. 2 through the first five weeks of training camp. As a result, he goes into the exhibition finale Friday against the Tennessee Titans needing to make believers out of the coaches that he can be effective in this system.

"There are a lot of guys who are on the bubble and this game is for them to see what they can do because they haven't had a lot of playing time in the pre-season," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "I don't think he's a bubble guy, but I'd like to see him be productive. That's what we're looking for. We'll give him some opportunities in the run game to see what he can do."

As a result of his subpar performance, Gado is in a heated battle with Davenport for the No. 2 position behind Green. Backup halfback is a critical position given that Green is coming off a torn thigh tendon, has played in just one exhibition game and probably won't be at full strength until mid-season. Even if Green is effective early on, the coaches will monitor his carries and use another running back to ease his workload.

Davenport has gotten far more opportunity than Gado to win the No. 2 position, but he has been only average in three games. He had little chance to do anything in the opener because of the breakdown of the offensive line, but the last two games - with better blocking - he has gained 50 yards on 16 carries, a 3.1-yard average.

Gado has received less opportunity in part because he pulled a groin muscle in the opener and missed the following game and because he was moved to fullback temporarily after William Henderson suffered a knee injury. All told, Gado has played about 30 snaps and carried 13 times for 29 yards, a 2.2-yard average.

"I feel like I haven't been able to do it in a game, partly due to injuries, partly due to (the return of) Ahman Green," he said. "It's just the situation. There's no one to blame for that. I feel like I'm best when I get the ball several times and as the game progresses you get a feel for it. It's kind of tough to do that going in for spot duty.

"But once again there's no one to blame. It's a new role I'm going to have to handle."

Last season, Gado was plucked off the street after being released by Kansas City and signed to the Packers' practice squad. After two weeks, he showed so much promise that he was promoted to help fill the void left after Green and Davenport suffered season-ending injuries.

He started five games and led the team in rushing with 582 yards on 143 carries (4.1 average) and caught 10 passes for 77 yards. His seven touchdowns (six rushing, one receiving) set a franchise rookie record.

The only downside of his season was that he suffered a sprained medical collateral ligament in his right knee and was forced to miss the final two games.

In camp this year, Jagodzinski has been trying to get Gado to play more instinctively and trust his judgment. It's been a struggle for a guy who took pre-med classes at Liberty University and intends on using his head quite a bit after football.

"Go north and south, that's all I want him to do," Jagodzinski said. "Just go ahead with no indecision and blow it up there for 4 yards. That's what I want to see him do. He needs to put his foot in the ground and go get it. He's just thinking (too much).

"You see it, go take it. That's what it comes down to. But if you go and blow it up in there you'll get your 3 or 4 yards per carry. You'll average over 4 yards per carry. But if you break your feet and try to think and pick a hole, it's not going to happen."

Gado said he thinks he knows the system as well as any other running back, but the lack of work he has received in the games hasn't given him the opportunity to show it.

In practice, he has been behind Green and Davenport since Green began practicing full-time Aug. 14 and has gotten only limited carries.

He said he at first wondered whether the power gap system the previous coaching staff used was a better fit for him, but he thinks once he has a breakout game he'll probably feel otherwise. He would like that to occur Friday.

"That's something I'm really looking forward to," he said. "That will provide an opportunity for me to get the reps that I've been looking for and hopefully I hold up and follow up on things in training camp and do the things I do well."

Gado will get his chance tomorrow with Green not scheduled to start. I would like to see him do well. He has more potential than Davenport to pick up yards after contact, something the Packers need with the OL still finding its legs.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-31-2006, 09:52 PM
I hope he does great. Good guy

MJZiggy
08-31-2006, 09:53 PM
You just can't not root for #35.

digitaldean
08-31-2006, 09:58 PM
I hope he does well Friday. He's proven last season that even with a cruddy line he could run the ball well.

He deserves to win #2 RB spot instead of Da Poop.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-31-2006, 10:24 PM
I hope he does well Friday. He's proven last season that even with a cruddy line he could run the ball well.

I agree

Joemailman
08-31-2006, 10:29 PM

I agree

I hope it happens. But with a new coaching staff, what he did last year doesn't mean much. He has to earn it by what he does now.

digitaldean
08-31-2006, 10:33 PM

I agree

I hope it happens. But with a new coaching staff, what he did last year doesn't mean much. He has to earn it by what he does now.

True enough. That's why Gado has to run his best tomorrow. Da Poop better start to consistently NOT run up the backs of his linemen also.

His injury history won't help him with MM either.

Kiwon
08-31-2006, 11:07 PM
I predict that Samkon's going to have a good game on Friday and earn his spot on the roster. He'll step up to the challenge and get 'er done!

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2006, 12:00 AM
I don't know. Gado has looked better than Herron and Da Poop. I gotta believe he makes the team.

Tarlam!
09-01-2006, 06:15 AM
I will slash somebody's friggin throat if my Samkon gets cut!

Or, my wrists.

Or, nothing, actually. I would be sad, though.... :sad:

Creepy
09-01-2006, 06:27 AM
He has already helped himself withthe two catches againts the Bengals. Davenport has not had a good reception all pre-season. The short pass is going to be used a lot this year, with flares and screeens added in. If gado is working well in those he will be of more value than Davenport. I believe Gb should keep Herron, Gado, and Beach. All show a good upside where Davenport looks more like an injury waiting to happen.

MJZiggy
09-01-2006, 07:59 AM
If you look back in the artcle, Jags said he's not on the bubble. He's fighting for that #2 spot. I wouldn't worry too much about him getting cut, then again, Jags doesn't really make personnel decisions either.

"There are a lot of guys who are on the bubble and this game is for them to see what they can do because they haven't had a lot of playing time in the pre-season," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "I don't think he's a bubble guy, but I'd like to see him be productive. That's what we're looking for. We'll give him some opportunities in the run game to see what he can do."

As a result of his subpar performance, Gado is in a heated battle with Davenport for the No. 2 position behind Green.

Tony Oday
09-01-2006, 09:37 AM
I will cheer for the Bears and Vikings if he gets cut!