PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy Family Foundation Fundraiser Tidbits

mraynrand
06-16-2015, 12:04 PM
For several years now, Mike McCarthy and Family have been involved in a charity fundraiser for American Family Children's Hospital. A friend bought a table at the event and I got to go. Here's what I take away from the event:

- Stubby is a pretty decent guy, but he has no public speaking chops. The charity is a reasonable thing to support. His wife and family seem pretty nice too.

- there were a ton of Packer celebrities there, including at least 5 guys from the Ice Bowl/Superbowl I/II. I believe that even after Jerry Kramer is dead, when someone says 'Ice bowl' his corpse will reflexively respond

- got to meet a lot of players and coaches:

- Started the evening walking up to a group consisting of Trgovic, Jayrone Elliott and Lane Taylor. Elliott talked about Ohio for half a minute and then was off to talk with the hot young white chicks. Dude is a playa. Lane Taylor took off when I talked too much about the tight ends. he didn't know any of the rookies' names. Turgo did not seem to want to talk football. Tough-minded kinda guy, sprinkles in "good kid" "great group" "excited for this year" a lot. he gave me a funny look when I asked how much he would use the 2-4 this year. i explained Neal and Jones as the 2 down linemen and he nodded and said "You've seen Perry play, right?" "Sure, he's mostly on the line pass rushing and in run support" says Mraynrand. "yeah, that's a 3-4 or a 3-3 front with nickel. Nickel is base." Asked him if Raji would 2 gap and he said "Never" said Pennel wold not have made the team with Raji healthy. moved on

- Talked with Spraypainthair for about 10-20 minutes. Guy is awesome. First, the hair. It's real, but it's colored. It is brillopad in texture, but is combed very strangely, right to left. It does not move. Talked a lot about the players he liked. Told my friend he will miss Twill, but those are the breaks. Agreed with me that House "got a lot of cash" Nodded when I said I though he could be unreliable. Asked him who would be the starter in the slot "Hyde on first and second down" and mentioned Rollins playing slot this year as well. "Smart kid, natural athlete and player; knows to keep his rookie mouth shut." Did not mention Hayward at all. Seattle loss was toughest of his career. knew all the stats of the game, almost minute by minute. Coaches and players do not dwell on the past. Tailors defensive scheme (D-line numbers) for each team, but likes to have different groups be able to handle everything, because that's the way it is in the NFL. It's a passing league

mraynrand
06-16-2015, 12:09 PM
- A little after spray paint hair, Chmura, Flanagan and Winters walked up. Talked to Chewy for a while (we were at his son's graduation the day before at Waukesha West). Chewy is large and in charge - he's very huge and in great shape. Talked to him about his radio program because we know some guys in common in Cleveland. Flanagan is WHITE - totally gray hair, is smaller than me. Winters kinda was aloof. Never said a word. Moved on.

Bumped into Paul Coffman and said hello and something stupid about watching him play in high school. he looks TINY. Much smaller than me and totally bald. At first I thought it was Mike Murphy.

- Next bumped into Edgar Bennett. Very nice guy. Congratulated him on the O-coordinator job, told him he would be head coach in a few years. he just chuckled. He was not wearing furs.

mraynrand
06-16-2015, 12:15 PM
Talked to Campen earlier in the evening. When I said I thought the Packers would never draft a pure center he said "thank God they did, I was getting tired of training guards and tackles." Asked him if Tretter would back up all along the line or compete for a starting spot and he said "Yes"

Revealed that Packers would never go below 18 on QB wonderlic; said Raiders were insane to draft Jamarcus Russell. Packers not only look at wonderlic score, but have all the questions ranked so a guy who answers the top 18 correct could be valued over a guy who got a 25 (for example).

"centers are the smartest players on the team"

Still claims responsibility for starting Favre's career.

Didn't get to ask about zone/power

mraynrand
06-16-2015, 12:22 PM
Saw Chris Jacke there. No one seemed to talk to him. Still has a mullet-like hairdo

esoxx
06-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback mraynrand. Good stuff

I got the same vibe from Winters. I lived in GB for six years during the oughts and seen him around from time to time. Also saw him and a lady friend at Packer game last year. Doesn't seem like he wants anything to do with John Q. Public. At least that's my read.

Wonder if Capers would have known what you were referencing if you suddenly said "579."

Bossman641
06-16-2015, 03:54 PM
Talked to Campen earlier in the evening. When I said I thought the Packers would never draft a pure center he said "thank God they did, I was getting tired of training guards and tackles." Asked him if Tretter would back up all along the line or compete for a starting spot and he said "Yes"

Did you remind him the season starts in September and not November?

pbmax
06-16-2015, 07:17 PM
he gave me a funny look when I asked how much he would use the 2-4 this year. i explained Neal and Jones as the 2 down linemen and he nodded and said "You've seen Perry play, right?" "Sure, he's mostly on the line pass rushing and in run support" says Mraynrand. "yeah, that's a 3-4 or a 3-3 front with nickel. Nickel is base." Asked him if Raji would 2 gap and he said "Never" said Pennel wold not have made the team with Raji healthy. moved on

For some reason this puts a huge smile on my face.

:D

KYPack
06-16-2015, 07:47 PM
GREAT stuff, Rand.

I semi-didn't know ya had it in ya.

Pugger
06-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the feedback mraynrand. Good stuff

I got the same vibe from Winters. I lived in GB for six years during the oughts and seen him around from time to time. Also saw him and a lady friend at Packer game last year. Doesn't seem like he wants anything to do with John Q. Public. At least that's my read.

Wonder if Capers would have known what you were referencing if you suddenly said "579."

Perhaps its because he's from New York? ;-) He did a nice alumni video interview on Packers.com.

Freak Out
06-17-2015, 05:32 PM
Funny stuff.

wootah
06-23-2015, 05:33 AM
Thanks for posting the stories, man. I'd rep but this commie site says I have to spread some love first...