PDA

View Full Version : Clifton Struggling

Joemailman
08-31-2006, 10:04 PM
Clifton having trouble getting into top form

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

It's not like it rates anywhere near the top of their concerns, but the Green Bay Packers are waiting for Chad Clifton to return to the prime form that landed him a near-elite contract for a left tackle three years ago.

Clifton missed all of the Packers' offseason practices this year because of arthroscopic surgery on his left ankle in January and on his right knee in May. He hasn't moved quite as well in preseason games as in past years and had his worst performance in his most recent outing, Monday night at Cincinnati, where in a little more than one half of game time he allowed a sack, a pressure and had two false-start penalties.

Clifton and right tackle Mark Tauscher are the anchors of an offensive line suffering through growing pains with rookies Jason Spitz and Tony Moll starting at guards. The team needs its two tackles — both are seven-year starters — in prime form, especially Clifton because as the back-side protector for quarterback Brett Favre, he's one of the most important players on the team.

But less than two weeks before the start of the regular season, Clifton is having some unexpected problems coming off his inactive offseason and then limited work in camp to reduce the wear on his knee.

"I thought he was a little rusty in the (opening) San Diego game, which you can (attribute) to not a ton of practice," said Joe Philbin, the Packers' offensive line coach. "But I thought he played pretty well against Atlanta (the second game). He certainly didn't play his best game Monday night. He'll certainly need to play better, he's aware of that. The other games, I don't think it was anything alarming there, but he did not play well enough on Monday night, that's for sure."

The slow start raises a question about Clifton's long-term health because of the devastating broken pelvis he sustained on the infamous Warren Sapp hit in 2002.

Clifton successfully returned from a long rehabilitation in 2003 and played so well the Packers signed him to a five-year contract that averages $5.392 million and included a $10 million signing bonus.

However, there's no knowing how that pelvic trauma has affected his legs over the long term, and what problems might develop over time. The 30-year-old had arthroscopic surgery on his knees in three of the last four offseasons.

"(The knee) probably does (affect him) a little bit," said Jeff Jagodzinski, the Packers' offensive coordinator. "But the thing is, it's probably going to be bothering him for the rest of his career, so he needs to play through that."

Said Philbin: "Two procedure penalties, that's too many for anybody to make, and that doesn't have anything to do with the knees. That gets you upset a little bit."

Clifton won't have much chance to work into regular-season form this week. The Packers had only had one day of practice, and that was a no-pads workout Wednesday. The team's unusual preseason schedule has it playing twice in only five days in the final week of camp, and coach Mike McCarthy said the starters probably will play only one series at most on Friday afternoon against Tennessee.

The Packers have been concerned all training camp about overworking Clifton and aggravating his knee, which flared up early in camp. He's one of their most irreplaceable players because of the crucial position he mans, and the lack of an NFL-proven backup for him. Jagodzinski said the Packers probably wouldn't move any current starters, such as Tauscher, to left tackle if Clifton gets injured, and that second-round pick Daryn Colledge probably would fill in instead.

The Packers put Colledge in as a starter at left guard after drafting him, though he played left tackle all four seasons in college at Boise State. He was too overpowered by the bigger defensive tackles early in camp, and after he struggled in the exhibition opener, McCarthy demoted him to backup at left guard and left tackle. Colledge played most of the second half against Cincinnati at left tackle and appeared more comfortable and natural playing against smaller, quicker ends.

"He didn't disappoint out there, he moved around there pretty good," Jagodzinski said. "Actually, he looked smoother out there than at guard. Remember now, that's what he's played all along, so he did look smoother out there."

The demotion of Colledge may turn out well for the Packers in the long run. I'm not writing Clifton off, but it appears that Colledge may be needed at LT, his natural position before the season ends. If Clifton continues to struggle, the Packers may have to give him help on passing downs, either from the fullback, or a two-tight end alignment.

gbpackfan
08-31-2006, 10:06 PM
I agree. I don't think Clifton has too many seasons left in him. We may have drafted our LT of the future, and that would be GREAT!

digitaldean
08-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Clifton's struggles are puzzling. His consistent 2-a-game false start penalties bug me too.

He and Tauscher are supposed to be the rocks on that line. Right now, only Tausch has lived up to that billing this preseason.

Confident he can turn it around, though. He has the natural ability.

HarveyWallbangers
08-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Tauscher hasn't played that well either, but at least he seldom gets a penalty.

digitaldean
08-31-2006, 10:51 PM
Tauscher hasn't played that well either, but at least he seldom gets a penalty.

True, let's just say Tausch is the best in an underachieving bunch.

run pMc
09-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Totally agree! I think Colledge will end up being our future starting LT. From what I've heard, neither OT has played that well, but Tauscher's been better. It's a new blocking system, and old habits can be tough to break.

I'm guessing the "just get thru TC healthy" mentality is there as well.