PDA

View Full Version : Packers 2015 Training Camp Questions

pbmax
07-26-2015, 12:00 PM
Stolen lock stock and barrel from Tom Oates. http://m.host.madison.com/sports/football/professional/tom-oates-twelve-questions-the-packers-must-answer/article_fd994167-8610-5066-9007-026ad7e0dca1.html?mobile_touch=true

1. Who will replace Tramontana as starting CB?

2. Who will be the extra cornerback in the Packers sub defenses?

3. Will anyone new emerge at ILB? Will it matter?

4. Can the Packers replace Matthews pass rush at OLB? (Second worst question because he was a better rusher from ILB than OLB last year)

5. Are there enough good bodies to fill the D line rotation early in the season?

6. Is the starting TE on the Packers roster good enough? (Altered from Oates question about whether one of them will be great - no need to engage in fantasy here)

7. Can Scott Tolzien secure the backup QB job?

8. How many WRs will the Packers keep on the roster? (In Madison, this is known as the Abbrederris question)

9. Who will be the 3rd running back (a RB or FB)?

10. Will Special Teams be improved?

11. Can Tim Masthay return to form?

12.Can Montgomery lock up both returner jobs?

hoosier
07-26-2015, 03:44 PM
1. Who will replace Tramontana as starting CB? Hayward

2. Who will be the extra cornerback in the Packers sub defenses? Quintin Randall

3. Will anyone new emerge at ILB? Will it matter? Do you count Barrington playing a full season as an emergence? Or did he already emerge?

4. Can the Packers replace Matthews pass rush at OLB? (Second worst question because he was a better rusher from ILB than OLB last year) Statistically better from inside, yes. All they need is for some combination of Neal/Perry/Elliott to take advantage of opportunities generated by CMIII, Peppers and Daniels. There should be opportunities.

5. Are there enough good bodies to fill the D line rotation early in the season? Do defensive linemen have good bodies? (JJ Watt excepted)

6. Is the starting TE on the Packers roster good enough? (Altered from Oates question about whether one of them will be great - no need to engage in fantasy here) Given the rest of the Packer offense, so so is probably good enough

7. Can Scott Tolzien secure the backup QB job? What are the alternatives?

8. How many WRs will the Packers keep on the roster? (In Madison, this is known as the Abbrederris question) 5. Abbrederis will still be gimpy at start of camp and won't be able to make his cuts the way he used to. He'll be PUPed or cut.

9. Who will be the 3rd running back (a RB or FB)? RB. Lacy's running style screams the importance of depth at this position, and Kuhn is not a viable replacement.

10. Will Special Teams be improved? Less terrible.

11. Can Tim Masthay return to form? Yes. Whether it is the second half of 2014 form or the other form remains to be seen, but my intuition is that end of last year was a fluke.

12.Can Montgomery lock up both returner jobs?Nobody can beat out Hyde for PR

pbmax
07-26-2015, 04:15 PM
#3 - Oates counted Barrington, but wants another to emerge. He thinks Matthews moving inside is less than optimal, despite the performance of CMIII and the defense after his move.

#7 - Hundley or sing a FA like 2 years ago.

#12 - I would like to see Monty gets reps as a PR in games, like Cobb and Hyde did last year.

pbmax
07-26-2015, 04:16 PM
13. Will McCarthy improve his approach to forgoing aggression in close games where he has a lead, or an opportunity to blow open a game?

Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell 55s55 seconds ago
Re-watching Seahawks-Packers on NFL Network right now. How did Mike McCarthy not get fired for this?

Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell 7s8 seconds ago
Forgot McCarthy wasn’t willing to run on fourth-and-short twice and then ran on third-and-3 in the red zone to set up a 1H field goal. Cool

wist43
07-26-2015, 04:30 PM
1. Who will replace Tramontana as starting CB?

Probably Heyward - but truth be told, we have an entire roster of slot corners now outside of Shields.

2. Who will be the extra cornerback in the Packers sub defenses?

Isn't the pecking order now: Goodson, Hyde, Rollins, and Randall??

3. Will anyone new emerge at ILB? Will it matter?

Given that TT pretty much ignored the position, Matthews is now a starting ILB. Perry, Neal, and Peppers make a more competent group OLB, than keeping Matthews there and throwing the deficient ILB's we have on the field.

4. Can the Packers replace Matthews pass rush at OLB? (Second worst question because he was a better rusher from ILB than OLB last year)

I think his move inside should be permanent. It allows for the best combination of talent to be on the field at any given time. That said, surely he'll be moved around.

12.Can Montgomery lock up both returner jobs?[/QUOTE]

He better. He was a 3rd round pick, and he likely won't see the field much from scrimmage - unless it is out of the backfield with gadget plays.

red
07-26-2015, 04:35 PM
do we have more then r-rod at TE?

lets call r-rod decent there. thats fine, but we have nothing else at that position

i wonder if its possible we keep 1 TE and 8 wr's?

Joemailman
07-26-2015, 05:08 PM
do we have more then r-rod at TE?

lets call r-rod decent there. thats fine, but we have nothing else at that position

i wonder if its possible we keep 1 TE and 8 wr's?

I think they're okay if Quarless is the #2 TE. It's when he's #1 that they're deficient. So, a lot depends on RichRod's progress. Backman probably won't be much as a blocker this year, but he has some receiving skills.

pbmax
07-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Hyde is the nickel. Goodson hasn't won a job yet. The big question is dime and depth.

wist43
07-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Hyde is the nickel. Goodson hasn't won a job yet. The big question is dime and depth.

I thought Goodson had a shot at starting over Heyward outside??

So as of now, it is 1) Shields and 2) Heyward on the outside; and Hyde in the slot??

After that it is Goodson and Rollins competing for the dime; and Randall running last??

Joemailman
07-26-2015, 08:28 PM
I thought Goodson had a shot at starting over Heyward outside??

So as of now, it is 1) Shields and 2) Heyward on the outside; and Hyde in the slot??

After that it is Goodson and Rollins competing for the dime; and Randall running last??

At this point, I think the only sure thing is that Shields will be outside. This will be the biggest battle of training camp, figuring out who the other outside corner will be. I think Rollins has the most talent, but not sure how soon he can start consudering he played only 1 year of college ball.

pbmax
07-26-2015, 08:37 PM
Goodson is being talked about because Hayward's condition before camp is unknown. Godson might be #1 outside if Hayward is unavailable. He might be on the 2nd or 3rd team too.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2015, 01:04 AM
Goodson seems to have already fallen out of favor. Demovsky doesn't even have him making the roster:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/21606/green-bay-packers-53-man-roster-projection

Cornerbacks (5): Sam Shields, Casey Hayward, Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins, LaDarius Gunter (cut: Demetri Goodson, Tay Glover-Wright, Bernard Blake).

Note: he has Hyde at safety.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2015, 01:07 AM
I think it's Shields and Hayward outside, Hyde as the nickel, and Randall vs. Rollins in the dime. It seems like Goodson will battle Gunter for a spot on the roster.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2015, 01:13 AM

2. Who will be the extra cornerback in the Packers sub defenses? Hyde in nickel; Randall vs. Rollins in dime--Richardson in a big dime look at times

3. Will anyone new emerge at ILB? Will it matter? The best hope is probably Jake Ryan

4. Can the Packers replace Matthews pass rush at OLB? As long as Neal/Perry are healthy enough to rotate across from and with Peppers

5. Are there enough good bodies to fill the D line rotation early in the season? Probably not; going to have to hope everybody stays healthy in the preseason and they can fight through two suspensions in the first game

6. Is the starting TE on the Packers roster good enough? Not as important as usual with the WR depth; Rodgers is probably the best hope

7. Can Scott Tolzien secure the backup QB job? Tolzien showed improvement last preseason; I think he's fine there; without Rodgers were screwed anyways

8. How many WRs will the Packers keep on the roster? I'm going to cop out and say 6, if everybody stays healthy; 5 otherwise

9. Who will be the 3rd running back (a RB or FB)? Rajion Neal

10. Will Special Teams be improved? Yes, couldn't be much worse. Will they be good enough? Who knows.

11. Can Tim Masthay return to form? Yes; Too many years of competency to write off after one had half year.

12. Can Montgomery lock up both returner jobs? KR; Hyde at least rotates at PR

smuggler
07-27-2015, 03:27 AM
Goodson was never *in* favor, per se, but he has upside and can play ST so he stands a chance.

wist43
07-27-2015, 05:49 AM
Goodson seems to have already fallen out of favor. Demovsky doesn't even have him making the roster:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/21606/green-bay-packers-53-man-roster-projection

Note: he has Hyde at safety.

Gunter looks okay on tape, but had a terrible combine - wonder if there was some reason that can be explained away??

Anyone know what he ran at his pro day??

Joemailman
07-27-2015, 06:23 AM
Gunter looks okay on tape, but had a terrible combine - wonder if there was some reason that can be explained away??

Anyone know what he ran at his pro day??

4.56. Combine was 4.66. He'll need to be able to use his size and length to his advantage. It was a surprise he wasn't drafted though. Projected mid-round.

Bossman641
07-27-2015, 06:28 AM
Can any of Neal, Perry, or D Jones make mini jump or are they finished products at this stage of their careers?

Joemailman
07-27-2015, 06:44 AM
Can any of Neal, Perry, or D Jones make mini jump or are they finished products at this stage of their careers?

I think they've all had health issues. Any of them could improve if healthy. Perry had a bad shoulder almost all of last year. I'd like to see what he could so if 100%.

texaspackerbacker
07-27-2015, 08:38 AM
Seems like not much love for Randall in here. I expect him to justify his #1 draft pick and beat out Hayward at Tramon's old position. I expect Rollins to be good too. Hayward has a problem staying healthy, but if he does, he probably keeps the slot corner spot. DB is like WR - a lot of good players/hard to say how many we keep, but I hope more there at the expense of DL.

The defense got a LOT better last season when Matthews went inside. I hope/expect him to get most of his snaps there like late last season. The guy I'm anxious to see is Elliot at OLB. I'm expecting him to beat out Perry and Neal if he gets an opportunity.

I wouldn't be surprised if Starks is gone and two of the young RBs emerge.

Tolzien should be a preseason phenom and an excellent clipboard holder during the season. I think Hundley makes the 53 as the 3rd and a wildcatter and gets some cross-training as a TE.

3irty1
07-27-2015, 09:06 AM
If any rookie anywhere in the draft could take that job from Hayward I'd be surprised.

That said we seem to have one hell of a secondary coaching staff. They've turned way less talented guys than Randall and Rollins into players so I expect great things from those two.

Pugger
07-27-2015, 09:08 AM
Goodson is being talked about because Hayward's condition before camp is unknown. Godson might be #1 outside if Hayward is unavailable. He might be on the 2nd or 3rd team too.

I like Hayward but he has a history of not staying healthy and this was probably why we drafted those 2 DBs in the first 2 rounds after Tramon Williams left.

Pugger
07-27-2015, 09:10 AM
Seems like not much love for Randall in here. I expect him to justify his #1 draft pick and beat out Hayward at Tramon's old position. I expect Rollins to be good too. Hayward has a problem staying healthy, but if he does, he probably keeps the slot corner spot. DB is like WR - a lot of good players/hard to say how many we keep, but I hope more there at the expense of DL.

The defense got a LOT better last season when Matthews went inside. I hope/expect him to get most of his snaps there like late last season. The guy I'm anxious to see is Elliot at OLB. I'm expecting him to beat out Perry and Neal if he gets an opportunity.

I wouldn't be surprised if Starks is gone and two of the young RBs emerge.

Tolzien should be a preseason phenom and an excellent clipboard holder during the season. I think Hundley makes the 53 as the 3rd and a wildcatter and gets some cross-training as a TE.

I'm hoping Jake Ryan will be a major upgrade over Hawk and B. Jones inside to shore up the middle of that defense.

Zool
07-27-2015, 09:21 AM
I'm hoping Jake Ryan will be a major upgrade over Hawk and B. Jones inside to shore up the middle of that defense.

I would be an upgrade over the chase and drag brothers.

3irty1
07-27-2015, 09:27 AM

2. Who will be the extra cornerback in the Packers sub defenses? Hyde or double switch with Hayward and Randall/Rollins

3. Will anyone new emerge at ILB? Will it matter? I have a good feeling about Jake Ryan. ILB is one of those positions that rookies tend to sink or swim right away. I'd be nice if Barrington took a step forward but for some reason its hard for me to imagine. Bradford is a dark horse to not suck.

4. Can the Packers replace Matthews pass rush at OLB? (Second worst question because he was a better rusher from ILB than OLB last year) We have no shortage of pass rushers although none are of his caliber. I don't think he'll spend more than half his snaps at ILB anyways.

5. Are there enough good bodies to fill the D line rotation early in the season? More than enough. I think Pennel will be lucky to make this squad and he'd have no problem finding a job elsewhere.

6. Is the starting TE on the Packers roster good enough? (Altered from Oates question about whether one of them will be great - no need to engage in fantasy here) No. I think the best we can hope for is that Dickrod emerges as a red zone target. The blocking from this unit might be hard to watch again.

7. Can Scott Tolzien secure the backup QB job? Easily.

8. How many WRs will the Packers keep on the roster? (In Madison, this is known as the Abbrederris question) 5. Bretskey adds another push pin and red string to his dimly lit and smoke filled Badger conspiracy investigation bulletin board room.

9. Who will be the 3rd running back (a RB or FB)? Neal

10. Will Special Teams be improved? How can it not?

11. Can Tim Masthay return to form? He can.

12.Can Montgomery lock up both returner jobs? He'd pretty much have to be Devon Hester to get the punt return job from Hyde.

Zool
07-27-2015, 09:58 AM
I think the best we can hope for is that Dickrod emerges as a red zone target.

Can we please make this a thing.

Patler
07-27-2015, 10:35 AM
I like Hayward but he has a history of not staying healthy and this was probably why we drafted those 2 DBs in the first 2 rounds after Tramon Williams left.

Don't forget that Shields, too, has quite an injury history. He has yet to play a 16 game season. He has played just 67 of 80 games in five years. If Shields and Hayward are the starters, the #3 CB should expect quite a few starts, and the #4 could get some, too.

King Friday
07-27-2015, 05:21 PM
10. Will Special Teams be improved? How can it not?

Don't tempt fate.

Joemailman
07-29-2015, 10:02 AM
MM's PC about to start. http://www.packers.com/media-center/live-webcasts.html

Joemailman
07-29-2015, 10:25 AM
MM said he had a long conversation with Quarless. "He made a mistake. we're working through it.

Will emphasize drills with CB's more because of youth.

Tolerance level of offseason incidents different than it was 10 years ago. Every case is different.

pbmax
07-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 24m24 minutes ago
McCarthy: Another opportunity for us. Really kicked off Hall of Fame weekend and continued last week when some of our players came in early.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 23m23 minutes ago
MM: Don't know about Jordy Nelson going yet. He looks good. We're doing conditioning now. I don't have the full medical report yet.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 24m24 minutes ago
McCarthy says hadn't had a medical meeting yet so not sure who is out for tomorrow's first practice.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 21m21 minutes ago
First two practices in shells. That means pads on Saturday.

A lot of experience, McCarthy points out, to @TomSilverstein pointing out that 20 starters are back from last year.

McCarthy: spring is for rookies. Now, he wants to see the team make the grind and come together.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 19m19 minutes ago
McCarthy: It's the best offensive line I've coached. I'm confident the 2015 line will be better than 2014. #PackersCamp

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 18m18 minutes ago
Loss to Seattle won't be used as motivator. "We're about winning the world championship here. That's never changed."

SERIOUSLY, REGARDLESS OF HIS DEEFENSES OR CONCERNS ABOUT HIS CLOSE GAME STRATEGY WITH A LEAD, M3 HANDLES THE EMOTIONAL STATE OF THE TEAM BETTER THAN JUST ABOUT ANY COACH OUT THERE. REFUSES TO BUCKLE TO PUBLIC BUY-IN TO SIMPLISTIC NARRATIVES, KEEPS FOCUS ON LONG TERM

McCarthy on pressure: Between my family and the team, I don't have much time to worry about what other people think

SEE? THIS IS WHEN STUBBORN PAYS OFF

McCarthy said he's going to do more analytical work than in past. Job responsibility not distinctly laid out.

PLEASE GO READ ADVANCED NFL STATS WIN PROBABILITY ARTICLES, SPECIFICALLY HOW YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE KICKED THREE FGS IN FIRST HALF VERSUS SEACHICKENS

Follow-up on analytics: Spend more time on ourselves. Goes back to Schottenheimer "you are who you think you are."

OH GOD NO. SCHOTTENHEIMER IS EXACTLY THE COACH WHO WOULD TAKE 3 FGS ON THE ROAD VERSUS A GOOD DEFENSE. HE ALSO NEVER MADE IT OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS MIKE

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 12m12 minutes ago
MM on Quarless: Talked to Andrew. He was here today. We had a long conversation after his incident. It's a legal process. He made a mistake.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 11m11 minutes ago
MM: I'm disappointed, he's disappointed. He made a mistake and we're working through it.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 11m11 minutes ago
MM on Guion and Jones suspensions: I think it's better served to talk about when we get down the line. How do we balance the reps ...

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 15m15 minutes ago
Will emphasize drill work more with new-look corners."That's the beauty of the fundamental drills. .. Joe Whitt's outstanding."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 13m13 minutes ago
McCarthy on Rodgers' reps with four QBs: It's a conversation. Not counting throws yet since Rodgers is in his prime.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 11m11 minutes ago
McCarthy on being the favorite: Treating team any differently would make him a "super-hypocrite." Could be best leadership he's had.

SEE ABOVE ABOUT MANAGING EMOTION AND EXPECTATIONS

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 11m11 minutes ago
"Hell, I agree with them. I think we're going to win it, too," McCarthy said on being the favorite.

NO WONDER HE LOVED FINLEY. THAT'S ENOUGH M3!

pbmax
07-29-2015, 10:38 AM
Is this beard to stay or does he shave it off before Regular Season opener?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLF5U-iWIAAA4CH.jpg

pittstang5
07-29-2015, 11:08 AM

He'll run with it until the first loss, then it'll come off.

Joemailman
07-29-2015, 11:28 AM

So then, you're saying it stays?

MadScientist
07-29-2015, 01:32 PM

He'll look like a member of ZZTop after the SB.

pittstang5
07-29-2015, 02:08 PM

:tup:

Pugger
07-30-2015, 10:44 AM

I hope it comes off. It makes him look older than he is.

pittstang5
07-30-2015, 11:37 AM
I hope it comes off. It makes him look older than he is.

It's called "Distinguished" :-)

run pMc
07-31-2015, 09:19 AM
I think it makes him look slimmer. ;) Or maybe they got a wider podium.

pbmax
07-31-2015, 09:40 AM
Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 1h1 hour ago
Since winning Super Bowl 45, the Packers are 1-10 against the last 3 NFC champions (NYG/SF/SEA). 10 straight losses.

pbmax
08-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Would Aaron Rodgers survive an attack by his girlfriend?

Partial answer here: https://instagram.com/oliviamunn/

You want to video on the left, first one below the header.

Zool
08-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Would Aaron Rodgers survive an attack by his girlfriend?

Partial answer here: https://instagram.com/oliviamunn/

You want to video on the left, first one below the header.

That video is quite sped up. It's a rehearsed routine. Trainer lady has fantastic butt.

wist43
08-03-2015, 04:49 PM
That video is quite sped up. It's a rehearsed routine. Trainer lady has fantastic butt.

She must get that from her Asian "tiger-mom" - whom Olivia says used to whip their asses on a regular basis, lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhhD9Dz5Adc

wist43
08-03-2015, 04:51 PM
Here's a pretty good article on all the pre-snap games that go on... the verbage and calls, etc...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/25257673/sounds-crazy-but-heres-how-aaron-rodgers-packers-call-plays-pre-snap

Fritz
08-05-2015, 08:18 AM
She must get that from her Asian "tiger-mom" - whom Olivia says used to whip their asses on a regular basis, lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhhD9Dz5Adc

I wonder if Arod gets to spank her.

pbmax
08-16-2015, 09:10 PM
Football Perspective ‏@fbgchase 3h3 hours ago
Green Bay in ANY/A Differential (Off ANY/A minus Def ANY/A) in each year since 1960. Lot of peaks here.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CMkNkAJWEAEBMzo.png:large

1966 is astonishing. Haven't come close to that one. ANY/A is adjusted net yards per attempt (net yards is total yards minus sacks, etc.), so that probably doesn't capture the 1962 team's greatness. 2013 was a catastrophe for Rodgers era, but the offense was so good in 2011, it doesn't show.

smuggler
08-17-2015, 01:56 AM
70s and 80s were sad times for all Packer faithful... especially the good players trapped on our crappy teams...