PDA

View Full Version : 2015: Perry and Neal Contract Drive

pbmax
08-01-2015, 06:47 PM
Perry is healthy. He will obviously stay that way. Ergo, great year, new deal with the Packers by Week 9.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2015/08/01/perry-battled-shoulder-injury-for-most-of-2014/31001091/

Perry played in 17 games last season (including playoffs), but suffered in silence through most of it. He first injured the shoulder on special teams early in the season, though his name didn't show up on the injury report until the week leading up to a Week 12 game in Minnesota.

Perry doesn't know if he'll wear a harness on the surgically repaired shoulder this season, but is keeping it on as a precautionary measure in training camp. Back in pads, Perry is working to get back into a rhythm.

No problem. These shoulder things don't normally linger.

Patler
08-02-2015, 11:47 AM
One article said his shoulder was so bad, that he gained immense respect in the locker room for playing with it, making no excuses and playing as well as he did.

Fritz
08-03-2015, 08:20 AM
One article said his shoulder was so bad, that he gained immense respect in the locker room for playing with it, making no excuses and playing as well as he did.

But that does not fit with the still-lingering notion that Perry is disgruntled because he wants to play DE and that he's a soft player who babies himself.

Nick Perry, still the mystery man. I am afraid this shoulder thing will do him in, but I always rooted for him.

run pMc
08-03-2015, 10:26 PM
I think all the "wants to be a DE" stuff should be put to bed. He's been an OLB for a couple of years now, until he plays for another team or GB switches to a 4-3 he'll be an OLB. I haven't heard a peep about him complaining about being an OLB once he was drafted...I think it's fans with long memories hanging onto a reason or justification to rag on the guy. He has talent, but he's been hurt so much you wonder what the deal is. He plays hurt, maybe he's injury prone?

I like him as roster depth, but he could be replaced without too much trouble.

pbmax
08-03-2015, 10:37 PM
Right now his greatest value is that he is the anti-Walden. When Perry sets an edge, it stays set. His run defense is superb, he doesn't get moved.

Bretsky
08-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Did Perry even play last year ? I'm not sure he was noticeable

pbmax
08-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Did Perry even play last year ? I'm not sure he was noticeable

Remember the better run defense in the second half of last year? That was in large part due to Perry on the outside. Matthews contributed in a lot of ways, but run D discipline picked up when Perry came in.

By the numbers, he is just a guy. This is a case where the numbers don't tell the main part of the story.

mraynrand
08-04-2015, 09:34 AM
Remember the better run defense in the second half of last year? That was in large part due to Perry on the outside. Matthews contributed in a lot of ways, but run D discipline picked up when Perry came in.

By the numbers, he is just a guy. This is a case where the numbers don't tell the main part of the story.

He's just a better run stopping DE/OLB than pass rusher. And the Packers just used him to his strengths. Less flashy, but better productivity and defensive performance overall. SOUND!

run pMc
08-04-2015, 09:43 PM
From what I can tell, he's strong enough to set the edge against the run. He has one pass rush move -- a bull rush. When he gets to the QB he hits like a hammer and has forced fumbles. He's stiff in space so you don't want him doing a lot of drops into coverage.
Not sure he's starter level, but you could do worse. Biggest knock is he can't stay healthy. I give him credit for playing hurt and not complaining.

Fritz
08-05-2015, 07:58 AM
From what I can tell, he's strong enough to set the edge against the run. He has one pass rush move -- a bull rush. When he gets to the QB he hits like a hammer and has forced fumbles. He's stiff in space so you don't want him doing a lot of drops into coverage.
Not sure he's starter level, but you could do worse. Biggest knock is he can't stay healthy. I give him credit for playing hurt and not complaining.

This.

I have read elsewhere that Perry has only one rush move. This leads me to wonder what the reasons or reasons are that he has yet to develop another one or two, which would greatly increase his value.

pbmax
08-05-2015, 08:30 AM
This.

I have read elsewhere that Perry has only one rush move. This leads me to wonder what the reasons or reasons are that he has yet to develop another one or two, which would greatly increase his value.

If you have one good move, and he does, it doesn't seem like that great a leap to develop a counter. But he might be the kind of kid that needs to do all that training and learning on the field. And between injuries and job sharing, he might not have reached critical mass. But even if that is true, its mighty late in the game.

You'd like to see him get one solid season to work out the kinks, but he cannot get out of his own way.

pbmax
10-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Well, Perry contract extension still seems possible, but not by Week 9 now.

hoosier
10-12-2015, 08:34 PM
Perry is healthy. He will obviously stay that way. Ergo, great year, new deal with the Packers by Week 9.

No problem. These shoulder things don't normally linger.

Wow, you really got him good, didn't you?

Joemailman
10-12-2015, 08:55 PM
Somebody shoot PB if he tries to say something about Clay's hamstrings or Arod's calf.

pbmax
10-12-2015, 10:43 PM
Wow, you really got him good, didn't you?

Somebody shoot PB if he tries to say something about Clay's hamstrings or Arod's calf.

:D

First of all, that health comment was sarcasm.

I also resent the (absolutely correct) implication that I am in some way inaccurate.

But I was close about a contract extension until this week.

Pugger
10-12-2015, 11:37 PM
Has there been a report on what kind of injury Perry has now? :sad:

Joemailman
10-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Has there been a report on what kind of injury Perry has now? :sad:

Had his left arm in a sling. I'm guessing a sprain. Injury report Wednesday.

Fritz
10-13-2015, 06:01 AM
Had his left arm in a sling. I'm guessing a sprain. Injury report Wednesday.

Could one of the md's on this board let us know how long he'll be out if it's a sprain?

hoosier
10-13-2015, 07:49 AM
Sling could be anything: rotator cuff, dislocation, separation, clavicle.

sharpe1027
10-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Could one of the md's on this board let us know how long he'll be out if it's a sprain?

I am not a doctor, but I would guess it would be somewhere between 1 week and career ending.

Fritz
10-13-2015, 10:27 AM
I am not a doctor, but I would guess it would be somewhere between 1 week and career ending.

You're sounding like an NFL coach right there.

pbmax
10-13-2015, 11:33 AM
You're sounding like an NFL coach right there.

He tweaked it. Day to day, possibly for 364 days.

Joemailman
10-13-2015, 07:23 PM
Perry expected to be out 2-4 weeks with sprain of AC joint. Could be back after bye. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/332562292.html

hoosier
10-13-2015, 07:44 PM
Perry expected to be out 2-4 weeks with sprain of AC joint. Could be back after bye. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/332562292.html

Assuming it is accurate, that's better than I was expecting.

smuggler
10-13-2015, 08:25 PM
I hope they sit Davante and Burnett against the Chargers

pbmax
10-13-2015, 09:15 PM

Well it could have been worse. Bye comes at a good time for him.

Bretsky
10-13-2015, 09:20 PM
we need a back to back bye...lol.....I don't really care either way if they pay Perry...either way it'll be spending better money than keeping Brad Jones around

sharpe1027
10-13-2015, 09:29 PM

Told you so.

Joemailman
10-13-2015, 11:04 PM

Told you so.

Gotta admit. You nailed it.

Fritz
10-15-2015, 05:22 AM
Both Caldwell in Detroit and MM seem to have become increasingly testy about giving any info about injuries at all. The usual line in Detroit when a reporter asks Caldwell about any injuries is "We'll find out when the injury report comes out on Wednesday," as if Caldwell himself doesn't know.

And the way the Lions' season is going, maybe he doesn't.

red
11-16-2015, 02:44 PM
are either of these 2 even on the roster anymore?

sure have been quiet except for maybe one game from perry

mission
11-16-2015, 03:06 PM
are either of these 2 even on the roster anymore?

sure have been quiet except for maybe one game from perry

Seems like Neal took 95% of the snaps yesterday

red
11-16-2015, 03:18 PM
Seems like Neal took 95% of the snaps yesterday

neal, 1 tackle 3 assists no sacks

perry, 1 tackle 0 assists no sacks

peppers 3 tackles no assists no sacks

what looked like it would be a strength at one time really isn't doing a whole lot to impact the game

pbmax
11-26-2015, 07:57 AM
I think I might hit on one of these two predictions:

Jones is a slumpbuster: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/off-season-events-help-packers-jones-make-football-a-priority-b99623032z1-354264871.html

Then, Capers kind of forgot about him and played him just 18 snaps against Denver and 16 against Carolina. His combined stats in those two games were three tackles, including one for loss.