PDA

View Full Version : Might Richard Rodgers be a better prospect than we think?

Patler
08-03-2015, 07:49 AM
I know, it is an off season fluff piece, but there are some interesting tidbits of info in this:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2015/08/02/rodgers-top-level-talent-te/31033845/

Fritz
08-03-2015, 08:22 AM
I think that if people weren't so enamoured these days with the tight-end-who-runs-like-a-deer, there would be a lot more love for RR. He's going to be a fine NFL tight end. Just not that downfield playmaker that people fantasize about. But I think there may be enough playmakers for the Pack that this won't matter as much as people think.

Patler
08-03-2015, 08:43 AM
I think that if people weren't so enamoured these days with the tight-end-who-runs-like-a-deer, there would be a lot more love for RR. He's going to be a fine NFL tight end. Just not that downfield playmaker that people fantasize about. But I think there may be enough playmakers for the Pack that this won't matter as much as people think.

After watching Finley drop pass after pass, it will be nice to see a TE who catches the ball when it comes his way. I agree, he doesn't need to be a downfield threat. GB will have plenty of those. If he excels at the things we think of for traditional TEs, he will fill the role GB now lacks.

mraynrand
08-03-2015, 09:16 AM
After watching Finley drop pass after pass

*SIGH*

Oh well, I can't argue with you. After all, Scott Wells had fewer drops than Finley! :beat:

Patler
08-03-2015, 09:28 AM
*SIGH*

Oh well, I can't argue with you. After all, Scott Wells had fewer drops than Finley! :beat:

What does Scott Wells have to do with it?

Point was, and article mentioned (if you even bothered to read it) that R. Rodgers has exceptional hands. A. Rodgers said he might have the best hands on the team. The TE often sees the ball on third down in mid-range yards-to-go situations, and a drop often means a punt. We saw that time and again with Finley. Hopefully we won't with R. Rodgers.

denverYooper
08-03-2015, 09:52 AM
If he can reliably and consistently move the chains and catch passes in the red zone, the offense can get un-stuck against good defensive teams.

pbmax
08-03-2015, 09:58 AM
I want the return of the Bubba Franks blocks someone poorly/intentionally, falls down, wait for everyone to run by, then stands up, takes two steps into the end zone and catches 11 TD passes during the season. That's all.

Cheesehead Craig
08-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Like others have said, don't need an explosive TE in this offense, just one that won't drop the ball and runs his routes effectively. Plus, he can be a great red-zone threat which has been an issue. If he can be even an adequate blocker, we have our TE for the next decade.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2015, 10:09 AM
Rodgers isn't close to giving the Packers what Finley did, but I'll let Patler beat that issue to death (can't let a Rodgers article go without a rip on Finley). Hopefully, Rodgers improves enough to give us a viable threat at TE. He's slow. He's also not a very good blocker yet. He runs good routes and has good hands. If he can improve as a blocker, he can be useful. It's not hard to find TEs of similar quality.

Patler
08-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Rodgers isn't close to giving the Packers what Finley did, but I'll let Patler beat that issue to death (can't let a Rodgers article go without a rip on Finley). Hopefully, Rodgers improves enough to give us a viable threat at TE. He's slow. He's also not a very good blocker yet. He runs good routes and has good hands. If he can improve as a blocker, he can be useful. It's not hard to find TEs of similar quality.

Of course he doesn't give them what Finley did, and Rodgers never will. No one on their roster has the physical ability that Finley had. Probably not even close. But, isn't it quite possible that he doesn't have to give them what Finley gave them, if he gives them what Finley did not give them?

I disagree that it isn't hard to find the type of TE that Rodgers MIGHT be. No one is raising that type of TE anymore. After the elite pass receiving TEs, most are either small tackles who block very well but are of little use in the passing game, or overgrown receivers who catch well and/or run patterns well but have little interest in blocking. So far, Rodgers is the latter type, but seems willing to become the combination type. He isn't close, yet.

The Packers have had a bunch of TEs over the MM era, and none of them really have had the good hands, good routes, effective blocker traits in combination. The much maligned Bubba Franks had them in the early part of his career, but it seems most chose to remember only the later few years when he seemed to lose both his hands and his notable blocking ability. Since then, Quarless gave a flash of that just before his injury, when he had surpassed Crabtree as their best blocking TE for a part of the season. But, sadly, Quarless' brain seems to get in the way of any further progress.

If they are easy to find, the Packers sure haven't shown it.

mraynrand
08-03-2015, 12:26 PM

Point was, and article mentioned (if you even bothered to read it) that R. Rodgers has exceptional hands.

Yeah, I read it. You're a fun guy Patler. Yes, I'm tired of the 'Finley drop' meme. Guy didn't even play the last two and half years, so I dropped another tired horse beating on you for your tired horse beating. So go beat another horse. :) P.S. Packers were better off keeping Finley than Wells :razz:

mraynrand
08-03-2015, 12:31 PM

I agree with this take. Especially since the TE position seems to have a wide range of players who fit various systems. Packers have an offensive coach who doesn't have a system that needs a specific TE to work. Just needs a collection of playmakers and he can craft it around them. Rodgers seems to have his own set of skills that Stubby has fit in nicely. God help him if he drops a few passes anywhere near Patler.

esoxx
08-03-2015, 12:39 PM
I'm hopeful DickRod can improve on his 1.8 YAC from last year. Just falling down forward would seem worth a yard or two.

To answer the question of the thread, no. However, I do think he'll be a nice option in the red zone.

Patler
08-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I read it. You're a fun guy Patler. Yes, I'm tired of the 'Finley drop' meme. Guy didn't even play the last two and half years, so I dropped another tired horse beating on you for your tired horse beating. So go beat another horse. :) P.S. Packers were better off keeping Finley than Wells :razz:

Actually, it has only been the last one and a half years, not two and a half years that Finley hasn't played, isn't it?

I think it was sort of a wash on who would have been better to keep, Wells vs. Finley. Finley only gave them 22 games over the span that Wells gave St Louis 35 games. On a different field, maybe Wells wouldn't have broken his ankle, but even if he had, at least they wouldn't have signed Saturday, so EDS would have replaced Wells, which would have been a plus that year vs Saturday. Finley did have a good season that same year (when he wasn't dropping the ball. :))

Now, how about dropping some of those dead horse beatings on the complaints about Bubba Franks, who hasn't been in GB since before Finley was drafted?

Patler
08-03-2015, 01:16 PM
I'm hopeful DickRod can improve on his 1.8 YAC from last year. Just falling down forward would seem worth a yard or two.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that to improve. I'm not hopeful for much of a change in that category.

Bossman641
08-03-2015, 01:22 PM
He's never going to be flashy but hopefully he can bring some consistency to the position. RRod still needs work on his blocking but seems to have the size and desire to get better. He looks like TE's used to look in the 90's, before they became overgrown WR's. As long as he can make 10-15 yard receptions and move the chains I'll be happy.

mraynrand
08-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Actually, it has only been the last one and a half years, not two and a half years that Finley hasn't played, isn't it?

I think it was sort of a wash on who would have been better to keep, Wells vs. Finley. Finley only gave them 22 games over the span that Wells gave St Louis 35 games. On a different field, maybe Wells wouldn't have broken his ankle, but even if he had, at least they wouldn't have signed Saturday, so EDS would have replaced Wells, which would have been a plus that year vs Saturday. Finley did have a good season that same year (when he wasn't dropping the ball. :))

Now, how about dropping some of those dead horse beatings on the complaints about Bubba Franks, who hasn't been in GB since before Finley was drafted?

I wrote one and a half. Don't know how two and half got in there. Finley was a greater impact player than Wells, especially his game-changing drops. I don't recall Wells being targeted 11 times and being maligned for four (see below). Plus, before his neck injury, Finley was almost the entire offense of a depleted Packer team against Cleveland in 2013 (ONE and a half years ago!). He looked like a Gronk out there! Funny how when a talented guy is the ONLY major talent, who isn't shut down by aggressive corner play, he gets a lot of touches. Poor Scotty Wells was just a depleted afterthought in St. Louis who would never achieve the honor of posing with the Muskie Queen.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1330982-how-big-is-jermichael-finleys-dropped-passes-problem

Now, let me tell you about Ed West...there's a guy who could catch a ball!

wist43
08-03-2015, 04:36 PM
I agree with Harvey's take... he has good hands, and can be a reliable short target. The threat of other receivers will give Rodgers opportunities - but Rodgers isn't capable of returning the favor.

Should never have been a 3rd round draft pick IMO, but will probably stick with the team for quite a while as he probably won't generate much interest once his rookie contract is up. As such, all you homers will slap Ted on the back for making such a great pick ;)

wist43
08-03-2015, 04:40 PM
I wrote one and a half. Don't know how two and half got in there. Finley was a greater impact player than Wells, especially his game-changing drops. I don't recall Wells being targeted 11 times and being maligned for four (see below). Plus, before his neck injury, Finley was almost the entire offense of a depleted Packer team against Cleveland in 2013 (ONE and a half years ago!). He looked like a Gronk out there! Funny how when a talented guy is the ONLY major talent, who isn't shut down by aggressive corner play, he gets a lot of touches. Poor Scotty Wells was just a depleted afterthought in St. Louis who would never achieve the honor of posing with the Muskie Queen.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1330982-how-big-is-jermichael-finleys-dropped-passes-problem

Now, let me tell you about Ed West...there's a guy who could catch a ball!

My favorite Ed West play was when he would play possum, do a flop-a-block, wait for the student body to clear the other way, then get up, stand in the end zone, and wait for the ball to get to him, lol...

mraynrand
08-03-2015, 06:25 PM
I agree with Harvey's take... he has good hands, and can be a reliable short target. The threat of other receivers will give Rodgers opportunities - but Rodgers isn't capable of returning the favor.

I agree. I'm still Homerhopeful that RR can approach Chmura level competency, but it's not likely.

Pugger
08-04-2015, 09:08 AM

Point was, and article mentioned (if you even bothered to read it) that R. Rodgers has exceptional hands. A. Rodgers said he might have the best hands on the team. The TE often sees the ball on third down in mid-range yards-to-go situations, and a drop often means a punt. We saw that time and again with Finley. Hopefully we won't with R. Rodgers.

I think that was an attempt at a joke?

mraynrand
08-04-2015, 09:19 AM
I think that was an attempt at a joke?

Yes, 'attempt' being the key word. Still, we enjoy beating dead horses here at PR.

Carolina_Packer
08-04-2015, 04:32 PM
I'll be curious to see how he makes the first to second year jump. It's tougher for Richard Rodgers from an expectations standpoint because the team is hoping for more production out of the TE spot, as compared with expectations on someone like Devante Adams who is the 3rd WR. I am most interested to see how his blocking is improved. There were times last year when it looked like he had never thrown a block in his life. Now that the game is slowing down for him, hopefully he can take over the job and keep Q as the backup.

He's never going to have the explosiveness that Finley had, but perhaps he'll be more steady. Finley teased. That shootout playoff game against AZ...wow. He had his moments, but he also never found consistency. I would take a good hands guy who can run a route and get enough separation to make ARod feel comfortable throwing his way.

MadScientist
08-04-2015, 05:25 PM
For his size I expected RR to be a better blocker that he was. If he learns that part of the game, he could be a pretty good old-school TE, lining up next to the tackle and blocking or running routes. Chewy would be his ceiling, which is pretty good. With Lacy, having a TE that can block or catch well is good for making the offense less predictable.

Joemailman
08-04-2015, 06:07 PM
For his size I expected RR to be a better blocker that he was. If he learns that part of the game, he could be a pretty good old-school TE, lining up next to the tackle and blocking or running routes. Chewy would be his ceiling, which is pretty good. With Lacy, having a TE that can block or catch well is good for making the offense less predictable.

Blocking techniques can be learned. Chewy wasn't a good blocker coming out of Boston College, but he became one of the best.

Bretsky
08-04-2015, 10:45 PM

Should never have been a 3rd round draft pick IMO, but will probably stick with the team for quite a while as he probably won't generate much interest once his rookie contract is up. As such, all you homers will slap Ted on the back for making such a great pick ;)

This

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2015, 12:38 AM
I think he can be solid, and even a decent starter down the line--which isn't all that bad for a third round pick. I think his blocking will improve. He certainly has the size and seems willing. However, he may have great hands, but he'll likely never be dynamic. I hear the reports of his great hands, but then I read this:

S Chris Banjo might have been the most effective defender Monday when the safeties and inside linebackers were matched against the tight ends and running backs in one-on-one coverage. Banjo went 3-1, doing a great job twice against TE Richard Rodgers.

It might not really matter with how dynamic our receiving corps could be. If the receiving corps wasn't so good, I'd be a lot more worried about the TE position.

Patler
08-05-2015, 05:12 AM
But there was also this:

Tight end Richard Rodgers made one of the highlight catches of training camp Tuesday with a diving one-handed snag of a Tolzien pass on an out pattern that converted a third down. “I had a feeling he was going to throw it to me, and the ball was going to come out quick,” Rodgers said. “I just came out of (the break), and I knew I could make a play on it once I saw it in the air.”

smuggler
08-05-2015, 07:44 AM
Should have saved it for the regular season!

Tony Oday
08-05-2015, 10:01 AM
With our WR corp do we need anything but a 4 WR set and Lacy crushing an MLB?

Zool
08-05-2015, 01:17 PM

You yourself admitted that you would do no better than any NFL GM at making picks, yet you continue to rail on the people who are actually paid to do the work. Amazing. Year after year people complain that a pick isn't a future all-pro/hall of fame candidate. Fucking stupid. Calling fans homers doesn't make you sound smart, it makes you sound like an asshole.

wist43
08-05-2015, 01:43 PM
You yourself admitted that you would do no better than any NFL GM at making picks, yet you continue to rail on the people who are actually paid to do the work. Amazing. Year after year people complain that a pick isn't a future all-pro/hall of fame candidate. Fucking stupid. Calling fans homers doesn't make you sound smart, it makes you sound like an asshole.

Who put starch in your shorts this a.m.??

A guy like Rodgers, who is a plodder, can be had lower in the draft - or FA. On the other hand, a guy like Findley, who can run and had special physical qualities probably should have been drafted higher than the 4th round we got him in. Rodgers was a 3rd round pick, and Findley was a 4th round pick... what sense does that make??

Plodders at the TE position can be found tending bar just about any night of the week; hence, I wouldn't have drafted him in the 3rd round.

3rd round and higher - you should be looking for quality starters, or guys with upside - Rodgers doesn't fit either catagory. He might end up being a servicable player over time, but don't see him as a good 3rd round value - just MO.

Some have mentioned Mark Chmura - if Rodgers can get to that level, I would be happy with that; but then again Chmura was a 6th round draft pick.

mraynrand
08-05-2015, 02:18 PM

A guy like Rodgers, who is a plodder, can be had lower in the draft - or FA. On the other hand, a guy like Findley, who can run and had special physical qualities probably should have been drafted higher than the 4th round we got him in. Rodgers was a 3rd round pick, and Findley was a 4th round pick... what sense does that make??

Plodders at the TE position can be found tending bar just about any night of the week; hence, I wouldn't have drafted him in the 3rd round.

3rd round and higher - you should be looking for quality starters, or guys with upside - Rodgers doesn't fit either catagory. He might end up being a servicable player over time, but don't see him as a good 3rd round value - just MO.

Some have mentioned Mark Chmura - if Rodgers can get to that level, I would be happy with that; but then again Chmura was a 6th round draft pick.

Who the hell is Findley? The Packers drafted Finley in the third round (91)http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/43604092.html

sharpe1027
08-05-2015, 02:59 PM
He was drafted using their compensatory pick, so it was basically a 4th rounder. I think you'll find that his first year production is probably above average for where they drafted him. Wist has his crystal ball out about future production, so I will defer to the crystal ball.

mraynrand
08-05-2015, 03:18 PM
He was drafted using their compensatory pick, so it was basically a 4th rounder.

Just to belabor the point, he was 91st (32x3=96 normal picks through three rounds). The only reason he wasn't the 92nd pick was that NE lost a pick due to 'spygate.' The first compensatory pick in 2008 was the Redskins at #96 (again, one pick early due to NE).

pbmax
08-05-2015, 03:24 PM
2014 Tight Ends
No. Round Pick Player Name Team College
1 1 10 10 Eric Ebron Lions North Carolina
2 2 6 38 A Seferian-Jenkins Buccaneers Washington
3 2 17 49 Jace Amaro Jets Texas Tech
4 2 20 52 Troy Niklas Cardinals Notre Dame
5 3 1 65 C.J. Fiedorowicz Texans Iowa
6 3 34 98 Richard Rodgers Packers California
7 3 35 99 Crockett Gillmore Ravens Colorado State
8 5 15 155 Arthur Lynch Dolphins Georgia
9 7 2 217 Ted Bolser Redskins Indiana
10 7 15 230 Rob Blanchflower Steelers Massachusetts

pbmax
08-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Set aside for the moment that Pro Football Reference thinks Davante Adams and Allen Hurns are TEs, exactly who is the late round pick that would be an equal to Rodgers?

Game Game Misc Misc Misc Misc
Rk From To Draft Tm Lg G GS Yrs PB AP1 AV
1 Davante Adams 2014 2014 2-53 GNB NFL 16 11 1 0 0 5
2 Allen Hurns 2014 2014 JAX NFL 16 8 1 0 0 4
3 Jace Amaro 2014 2014 2-49 NYJ NFL 14 4 1 0 0 3
4 Richard Rodgers 2014 2014 3-98 GNB NFL 16 5 1 0 0 3
5 Travis Swanson 2014 2014 3-76 DET NFL 16 5 1 0 0 3
6 Eric Ebron 2014 2014 1-10 DET NFL 13 7 1 0 0 2
7 Cameron Fleming 2014 2014 4-140 NWE NFL 7 2 1 0 0 2
8 Austin Seferian-Jenkins 2014 2014 2-38 TAM NFL 9 9 1 0 0 2
9 Crockett Gillmore 2014 2014 3-99 RAV NFL 15 1 1 0 0 1
10 Charles Leno 2014 2014 7-246 CHI NFL 6 1 1 0 0 1
11 Kevin Pamphile 2014 2014 5-149 TAM NFL 7 2 1 0 0 1
12 Rashaun Allen 2014 2014 SEA NFL 1 0 1 0 0 0
13 Blake Annen 2014 2014 CHI NFL 5 0 1 0 0 0
14 Alex Bayer 2014 2014 RAM NFL 6 0 1 0 0 0
15 Cameron Brate 2014 2014 TAM NFL 5 1 1 0 0 0
16 Trey Burton 2014 2014 PHI NFL 15 0 1 0 0 0
17 Asante Cleveland 2014 2014 SFO NFL 6 0 1 0 0 0
18 Anthony Denham 2014 2014 HTX NFL 4 0 1 0 0 0
19 C.J. Fiedorowicz 2014 2014 3-65 HTX NFL 15 8 1 0 0 0
20 Gator Hoskins 2014 2014 2TM NFL 15 0 1 0 0 0
Games Games Misc Misc Misc Misc
21 Nic Jacobs 2014 2014 JAX NFL 13 4 1 0 0 0
22 Marcel Jensen 2014 2014 JAX NFL 1 0 1 0 0 0
23 Troy Niklas 2014 2014 2-52 CRD NFL 7 2 1 0 0 0
24 Justin Perillo 2014 2014 GNB NFL 2 0 1 0 0 0
25 Scott Simonson 2014 2014 RAI NFL 4 0 1 0 0 0
26 Jordan Thompson 2014 2014 DET NFL 2 0 1 0 0 0

wist43
08-05-2015, 05:37 PM
Set aside for the moment that Pro Football Reference thinks Davante Adams and Allen Hurns are TEs, exactly who is the late round pick that would be an equal to Rodgers?

Game Game Misc Misc Misc Misc
1 Davante Adams 2014 2014 2-53 GNB NFL 16 11 1 0 0 5
2 Allen Hurns 2014 2014 JAX NFL 16 8 1 0 0 4
3 Jace Amaro 2014 2014 2-49 NYJ NFL 14 4 1 0 0 3
4 Richard Rodgers 2014 2014 3-98 GNB NFL 16 5 1 0 0 3
5 Travis Swanson 2014 2014 3-76 DET NFL 16 5 1 0 0 3
6 Eric Ebron 2014 2014 1-10 DET NFL 13 7 1 0 0 2
7 Cameron Fleming 2014 2014 4-140 NWE NFL 7 2 1 0 0 2
8 Austin Seferian-Jenkins 2014 2014 2-38 TAM NFL 9 9 1 0 0 2
9 Crockett Gillmore 2014 2014 3-99 RAV NFL 15 1 1 0 0 1
10 Charles Leno 2014 2014 7-246 CHI NFL 6 1 1 0 0 1
11 Kevin Pamphile 2014 2014 5-149 TAM NFL 7 2 1 0 0 1
12 Rashaun Allen 2014 2014 SEA NFL 1 0 1 0 0 0
13 Blake Annen 2014 2014 CHI NFL 5 0 1 0 0 0
14 Alex Bayer 2014 2014 RAM NFL 6 0 1 0 0 0
15 Cameron Brate 2014 2014 TAM NFL 5 1 1 0 0 0
16 Trey Burton 2014 2014 PHI NFL 15 0 1 0 0 0
17 Asante Cleveland 2014 2014 SFO NFL 6 0 1 0 0 0
18 Anthony Denham 2014 2014 HTX NFL 4 0 1 0 0 0
19 C.J. Fiedorowicz 2014 2014 3-65 HTX NFL 15 8 1 0 0 0
20 Gator Hoskins 2014 2014 2TM NFL 15 0 1 0 0 0
Games Games Misc Misc Misc Misc
21 Nic Jacobs 2014 2014 JAX NFL 13 4 1 0 0 0
22 Marcel Jensen 2014 2014 JAX NFL 1 0 1 0 0 0
23 Troy Niklas 2014 2014 2-52 CRD NFL 7 2 1 0 0 0
24 Justin Perillo 2014 2014 GNB NFL 2 0 1 0 0 0
25 Scott Simonson 2014 2014 RAI NFL 4 0 1 0 0 0
26 Jordan Thompson 2014 2014 DET NFL 2 0 1 0 0 0

The late-round pick that would be equal to Rodgers is - Rodgers ;)

vince
08-05-2015, 06:10 PM
I think he can be solid, and even a decent starter down the line--which isn't all that bad for a third round pick. I think his blocking will improve. He certainly has the size and seems willing. However, he may have great hands, but he'll likely never be dynamic. I hear the reports of his great hands, but then I read this:

It might not really matter with how dynamic our receiving corps could be. If the receiving corps wasn't so good, I'd be a lot more worried about the TE position.
Yup. There's only one ball so they're not all going to be putting up numbers regardless. Rodgers fits the system running routes underneath and reliably moving the chains when needed. With Lacy, he'll also keep the safeties from playing too soft, which is key. He'll catch everything thrown to him, which is just enough to help the receivers be more dangerous.

Joemailman
08-05-2015, 08:16 PM

As someone else mentioned, Finley was a 3rd round pick. Finley might have been higher than that but he had maturity issues that were known. After watching Finley tantalize but not quite match his potential, I think TT went for the guy with great hands who runs his routes right every time. And unlike Finley, Rodgers has the size to possibly become an all-around Tight End (blocking) rather than a guy who would rather be a wide receiver. Rodgers is off to a good start in my opinion. He certainly was more effective as a rookie than Finley. Plus, he seems to have the confidence of that other guy named Rodgers. If he can solidify the TE position, he's well worth a 3rd round pick.

King Friday
08-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Rodgers was a 3rd round pick, and Findley was a 4th round pick... what sense does that make??

Why not see who winds up with more receptions and TDs as a Packer...then figure out if it makes sense.

pbmax
08-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Rodgers was a 3rd round pick, and Findley was a 4th round pick... what sense does that make??

Rand already pointed out that Findley was a 3rd round pick.

Findley was young (finished his redshirt sophomore season I believe) and had some red flags regarding maturity and depth of his brain pan.

Rodgers was a more known quantity, if not as athletic. However, he was clearly more NFL ready.

Jermichael Findley
Game Game Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G YScm RRTD Fmb AV
2008 21 GNB 88 14 1 12 6 74 12.3 1 35 0.4 5.3 74 1 0 1

Richard Rogers
2014 22 GNB te 89 16 5 30 20 225 11.3 2 43 1.3 14.1 225 2 0 3

wist43
08-05-2015, 09:16 PM
Why not see who winds up with more receptions and TDs as a Packer...then figure out if it makes sense.

Finley had huge upside, that's why he makes sense as a 3rd rounder - apologies for misremembering what round he was drafted in; I know you guys love to hold me to the strictest of accuracy ;)

Rodgers does not have huge upside - at best, he will be a servicable player. Personally, I'd like to see our team draft players with legit talent and upside, and hopefully fill a hole, in the first few rounds, and go after good value in the later rounds at positions that aren't as highly valued, i.e. such as Center, when we grabbed Linsley in the 5th round.

Rodgers will likely produce some decent TD numbers, and a middling number of receptions overall b/c of all the other weapons that defenses have to deal with. Those weapons will give Rodgers opportunities he isn't capable of generating on his own; and as I said, he can't return that favor, i.e. defenses are not going to make a point of accounting for Rodgers.

sharpe1027
08-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Finley had huge upside, that's why he makes sense as a 3rd rounder - apologies for misremembering what round he was drafted in; I know you guys love to hold me to the strictest of accuracy ;)

Rodgers does not have huge upside - at best, he will be a servicable player. Personally, I'd like to see our team draft players with legit talent and upside, and hopefully fill a hole, in the first few rounds, and go after good value in the later rounds at positions that aren't as highly valued, i.e. such as Center, when we grabbed Linsley in the 5th round.

Rodgers will likely produce some decent TD numbers, and a middling number of receptions overall b/c of all the other weapons that defenses have to deal with. Those weapons will give Rodgers opportunities he isn't capable of generating on his own; and as I said, he can't return that favor, i.e. defenses are not going to make a point of accounting for Rodgers.

Let's make sure we are speaking the same language. What do you mean by a serviceable player? Anything less than a probowler? Multi-year starter? Perpetual backup?

What do you expect to get out of a pick around 90?

Bretsky
08-05-2015, 10:03 PM
Who the hell is Findley? The Packers drafted Finley in the third round (91)http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/43604092.html

This makes the Rodgers pick even more puzzling. The Rat Draft group was all over touting Finley as well as Martellus Bennett going into that draft as two receiving TE's with stellar talent

Nobody was talking about Rodgers upside....he can be an ok guy....maybe...but nothing about him has changed my first WTH reaction I had when they used a 3rd on him up to this point

Bretsky
08-05-2015, 10:06 PM
Finley and Bennett both had maturity/chemistry concerns.
We don't go through the extensive interviews with these players like the staff does.

Odds are that is why both fell.

Because talent wise, I see no resemblance

mraynrand
08-05-2015, 10:18 PM
This makes the Rodgers pick even more puzzling. The Rat Draft group was all over touting Finley as well as Martellus Bennett going into that draft as two receiving TE's with stellar talent

Nobody was talking about Rodgers upside....he can be an ok guy....maybe...but nothing about him has changed my first WTH reaction I had when they used a 3rd on him up to this point

Yeah, but Finley came out early and had some red flags. There was a risk there. He gave the Packers both - the explosiveness and game changing attributes and the frustrating inconsistencies and idiocies. Keith Jackson was a better tight end, but he was at GB at the end of his career. No other GB TE that I watched (since the 70s) had the wow factor of Finley*.

*No center had the wow factor of Scott Wells either

RashanGary
08-05-2015, 10:33 PM
There's been quite a bit of doubt for two of my favorite draft picks; Randall and rr from last year. I have a feeling rr is going to blow finleys production out of the water because ar will trust him to be where he's supposed to be AND he'll catch it. In an Aaron Rodgers lead offense, those two things are worth more than speed ever will be. Rr is a good player who's a great fit for our team!!

Zool
08-06-2015, 08:27 AM

What's worse, reaching for a guy who starts for 8-10 years and is good, or selecting a guy who could be great but ends up sucking?

run pMc
08-06-2015, 08:59 AM
What's worse, reaching for a guy who starts for 8-10 years and is good, or selecting a guy who could be great but ends up sucking?

Would A.J Hawk and Tony Mandarich (or Brent Fullwood) be examples you're thinking of?

run pMc
08-06-2015, 09:03 AM
FWIW, I agree that Finley was more talented than RRodgers is, but RRodgers has shown more consistency. Rodgers doesn't need to be an elite athlete; but if he catches what's thrown to him and helps keep the chains moving (and serve as the QB's safety valve) that's ok with me. With the WR corps GB has they don't need him to be elite.

sharpe1027
08-06-2015, 09:21 AM
FWIW, I agree that Finley was more talented than RRodgers is, but RRodgers has shown more consistency. Rodgers doesn't need to be an elite athlete; but if he catches what's thrown to him and helps keep the chains moving (and serve as the QB's safety valve) that's ok with me. With the WR corps GB has they don't need him to be elite.

To be fair, there are areas where Rodgers has more talent than Finley, they just aren't as flashy.

Patler
08-06-2015, 09:42 AM
No other GB TE that I watched (since the 70s) had the wow factor of Finley.

I remember quite a few. After watching a play, I would grab the sides of my head, shake it a bit and mutter "wow!" This usually happened as the punt team was coming on to the field.*

* Finley often caused the same reaction from me, following yet another drop. Scott Wells never did, that I can recall.

Patler
08-06-2015, 09:58 AM
(Never mind!)

Zool
08-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Would A.J Hawk and Tony Mandarich (or Brent Fullwood) be examples you're thinking of?

That is pretty on-point. If a guy starts for 8-10 years his draft status was not a reach in any way IMO.

mraynrand
08-06-2015, 12:00 PM
I remember quite a few. After watching a play, I would grab the sides of my head, shake it a bit and mutter "wow!" This usually happened as the punt team was coming on to the field.*

* Finley often caused the same reaction from me, following yet another drop. Scott Wells never did, that I can recall.

Hee Hee. Nice ripost! :)