PDA

View Full Version : Ted Interview Season 2015

pbmax
08-08-2015, 11:35 PM
Bob gets a little rude and Ted shuts him down.

1. He doesn't buy that the Seattle loss will leave the team with a hangover despite Bob insisting it must and the Packers must have had an offseason plan to deal with the lingering PTSD (Postseason Traumatic Stress Disorder).

2. Ted is insulted Bob offers an opinion that Clay missed two drives because he was candy-assing it (thinking the game was wrapped up).

3. Trusted M3 with the play calling change and the ST coach change, did not offer alternative plans.

4. Bob cites Rodgers being 6-5 and playing mediocre in the postseason since 2010. Ted's not buying it.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ted-thompson-cautiously-optimistic-on-packers-chances-b99552947z1-321160041.html

smuggler
08-09-2015, 12:05 AM
McGinn seems to embarrass himself pretty frequently, from what I've seen over the past four years. Not surprised.

mraynrand
08-09-2015, 06:13 AM
McGinn seems to embarrass himself pretty frequently, from what I've seen over the past four years. Not surprised.

Well, I'm sure you guys generally want Bob to ask interesting/probing questions, rather than check if blue is still Ted's favorite color. So what questions should be asked that are not too technical (readership of Urinalscented is ostensibly broad)?

pbmax
08-09-2015, 09:27 AM
Well, I'm sure you guys generally want Bob to ask interesting/probing questions, rather than check if blue is still Ted's favorite color. So what questions should be asked that are not too technical (readership of Urinalscented is ostensibly broad)?

I agree, I would much prefer rude questions to Vic Ketchman questions. But three questions on a Seattle hangover, especially the last one about plan to overcome it are just trying to shovel into concrete. They don't plan that way and he knows it. If he was talking to Pete Carroll or someone who likes to hear himself talk, you might get something.

Rodgers playoff question should have been asked, but about the team. In fact, if there was a topic I would ask about an organizational plan to combat, it would be coming up short in the playoffs. That has to drive Ted and the org mad more than just the Seattle loss.

Would have liked to see him clarify what Ted meant when he said he would talk to Mike about changes to the coaching staff but that he trusted him to make the decisions. At the very least, Ted seems to want to be in the loop or has offered direction in the past.

pbmax
08-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Here is the "talked to Mike" part about the staff that could have been clarified:

Q. Brad Seely and Bobby April, two of the best special teams coaches in the last 20 years, were available in January but weren't even interviewed by the Packers. Would you have preferred that McCarthy talk to them or some other veteran coaches before simply promoting from within?

A. No, I wouldn't. I talked to Mike when there are times like that when we're making some changes. Again, I trust Mike with this team. I trust his judgment in making those kind of decisions.

Could ask the same question about him talking to Capers about changes last year. Does he clear these things with you? Does he ask for input, do you ask for input?

pbmax
08-09-2015, 09:48 AM
At least Seattle agrees with me that we were beating the snot out of them for 56 minutes.

Q. At the Super Bowl, Seahawks quarterbacks coach Carl Smith told me the Seahawks were just grasping at straws and grab-bagging on offense as the game wore on against a Green Bay defense that was dominating.

smuggler
08-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Every time he tries to get into his serious journalist mode, he just comes off as an over-opinionated douche. Seems like he just lacks tact and is often wrong when he does issue his opinions on the team.

Joemailman
08-09-2015, 12:17 PM
Bob gets a little rude and Ted shuts him down.

1. He doesn't buy that the Seattle loss will leave the team with a hangover despite Bob insisting it must and the Packers must have had an offseason plan to deal with the lingering PTSD (Postseason Traumatic Stress Disorder).

2. Ted is insulted Bob offers an opinion that Clay missed two drives because he was candy-assing it (thinking the game was wrapped up).

3. Trusted M3 with the play calling change and the ST coach change, did not offer alternative plans.

4. Bob cites Rodgers being 6-5 and playing mediocre in the postseason since 2010. Ted's not buying it.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ted-thompson-cautiously-optimistic-on-packers-chances-b99552947z1-321160041.html

1. I agree with TT. Teams losing the Super Bowl often suffer a hangover. However, there is a history of teams losing a conference title game winning it all the next year, including the Packers in 1996-97.

2. Packers have invited this by being vague about why Matthews missed those 2 drives. My guess is that the Packers didn't follow protocol regarding possible concussions after Matthews took a shot to the head, so they don't want to talk about it.

3. Nothing wrong with the question. Nothing wrong with TT letting MM hire the coaches.

4. With the exception of the Dallas game last year, Rodgers has been fairly mediocre post 2010. And he played poorly in the NFC Title Game vs. Bears in 2010.

wist43
08-09-2015, 12:27 PM
I don't put Rodgers mediocre record in the playoffs on him - I put on MM and of course Capers.

When you get to the post-season, you're going to encounter good teams, with good defenses (usually). The Packers are built to stomp all over mediocre teams, which usually struggle on offense b/c they don't have a franchise QB. This makes our defense look better than it is - even though it usually looks like crap anyway.

Then we get into the playoffs, and tougher teams just smack us in the mouth - and we're toast. SF, Sea, NYG - tough, physical teams. I think someone posted that we are 0-10 against them in the last 10 meetings??

We're a finesse team - and I think it is a given that finesse teams will usually struggle in the playoffs against tough, physical teams.

pbmax
08-09-2015, 01:20 PM
The Packers bet the crap out of a tough and physical team last year in Seattle. But I agree McCarthy helped cause that loss with 3 first half field goals. So the two problems are not definitively linked to each other. Health was the Packers best friend last year in terms of D. That and replacing the ILBs.

pbmax
08-09-2015, 01:21 PM
4. With the exception of the Dallas game last year, Rodgers has been fairly mediocre post 2010. And he played poorly in the NFC Title Game vs. Bears in 2010.

Rodgers mediocre in the Bears game was a likely after effect of another undiagnosed concussion after Peppers rocked his noggin.

Joemailman
08-09-2015, 02:18 PM
Rodgers mediocre in the Bears game was a likely after effect of another undiagnosed concussion after Peppers rocked his noggin.

I disagree. That play happened early in the 4th quarter. Rodgers was playing poorly before that. Remember the INT to Urlacher? Rodgers really wasn't very good after the 1st drive of the game.

wist43
08-09-2015, 02:50 PM
The Packers bet the crap out of a tough and physical team last year in Seattle. But I agree McCarthy helped cause that loss with 3 first half field goals. So the two problems are not definitively linked to each other. Health was the Packers best friend last year in terms of D. That and replacing the ILBs.

I believe they have made an effort to get more physical - and that began to show up last year, especially in the first 54 minutes of the Seattle game.

Unfortunately, they reverted to their nature when the game was on the line - and they blew it. It is like the story of the scorpion and the frog.

I don't think Capers is capable of evolving or learning a lesson - maybe MM will begin to take the hint and commit to playing tough and aggressive for an entire game??

smuggler
08-09-2015, 03:19 PM
The Bears had a really good defense that year and the conditions in the game sucked. Check the Bears QB stats... people forget this about shitty weather and good defenses.

Joemailman
08-09-2015, 04:05 PM
The Bears had a really good defense that year and the conditions in the game sucked. Check the Bears QB stats... people forget this about shitty weather and good defenses.

If you're saying that Rodgers can't play well in cold, windy weather, then I would say he will probably continue to have mediocre results in the playoffs. Because, you know, it tends to be cold here in January.

mraynrand
08-09-2015, 06:42 PM
I don't put Rodgers mediocre record in the playoffs on him - I put on MM and of course Capers.

I put it on playing better teams with very good defenses. Like the Giants who strangled Brady twice (once in the same year as Rodgers) or the 49ers who for a stretch of three years beat the living hell out of teams, or the Seachickens who in a Super Bowl made the top offense in the history of the NFL look like a Jerry Babb-led practice squad offense. Even so, Rodgers (injured or coming back from an injury twice) played pretty well and at least once, possibly twice, should have won against these great defenses if not for circumstances beyond his control.

mraynrand
08-09-2015, 06:43 PM
If you're saying that Rodgers can't play well in cold, windy weather, then I would say he will probably continue to have mediocre results in the playoffs. Because, you know, it tends to be cold here in January.

Rodgers has done reasonably well in bad weather. It's the opposition that makes him look more mortal. Ask Brady or Manning what they think of the teams that stifled them as well...

yetisnowman
08-10-2015, 02:35 PM
Isn't Aaron supposed to outplay Caleb Hanie?

mraynrand
08-10-2015, 02:40 PM
Isn't Aaron supposed to outplay Caleb Hanie?

if they play against the same defense under the same conditions and circumstances, absolutely.

yetisnowman
08-13-2015, 09:03 PM
if they play against the same defense under the same conditions and circumstances, absolutely.

Well that season the Packers were ranked 2nd in defensive efficiency and the Bears 4th. They played under the same conditions on the same field at the same time. Since Aaron can't play against his own defense, I guess you are saying Aaron can never underperform when in comparison to the opposing teams qb?

pbmax
08-14-2015, 08:05 PM
I want to say there is a difference between Rodgers and Hanie, a quantifiable one that does not reflect well on Hanie but does give him a surprise edge versus Rodgers.

Something to do with an entire career against the Bears, Lovie and his Defense and any film they wish to watch.

Oh yeah, that word is preparation. Hanie was a complete unknown to the Packers Defense and he burned them several times before his INTs cost the Bears.

mraynrand
08-14-2015, 09:53 PM
Well that season the Packers were ranked 2nd in defensive efficiency and the Bears 4th. They played under the same conditions on the same field at the same time.

They were playing under very different circumstances. Heinie basically came in with the game lost and the Packers playing a kind of prevent. Also, what Max said. If you really believe Heinie 'outplayed' Rodgers, then good luck to ya. He's certainly outplayed him since. Do you start Heinie in your fantasy league?

I will throw you a bone, just for yucks: There may be some truth to what you suggest, at least from the POV of Rodgers playing a little worse for a stretch, if you accept the theory that Rodgers was likely was concussed following the opening TD.

Pugger
08-15-2015, 08:14 AM
I disagree. That play happened early in the 4th quarter. Rodgers was playing poorly before that. Remember the INT to Urlacher? Rodgers really wasn't very good after the 1st drive of the game.

I suspect he suffered a concussion when he dove into the end zone on that first drive.

Joemailman
08-15-2015, 08:37 AM
I suspect he suffered a concussion when he dove into the end zone on that first drive.

You may be right. Rodgers took a shot on that play. I always thought it was to his shoulder, but it could have been a concussion. On that first drive, Rodgers was 4-4 for 76 yards. The rest of he day he was 13-26 for 168 yards and 2 INT's for a passer rating of 39.9. At least 1 of the INT's were due to the kind of mental error Rodgers never makes.

pbmax
08-15-2015, 08:50 AM
You may be right. Rodgers took a shot on that play. I always thought it was to his shoulder, but it could have been a concussion. On that first drive, Rodgers was 4-4 for 76 yards. The rest of he day he was 13-26 for 168 yards and 2 INT's for a passer rating of 39.9. At least 1 of the INT's were due to the kind of mental error Rodgers never makes.

That was what I was trying to reference earlier but I remembered the Peppers hit not the dive into the end zone.