PDA

View Full Version : Official 2015 Preseason Games Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

pbmax
09-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Pinkard with the smart play. Injure a shoulder and get to IR for next year.

ThunderDan
09-03-2015, 08:17 PM
We'll that is too bad for Pinkert.

pbmax
09-03-2015, 08:18 PM
The Packer 2nd and 3rd teams would compete for the backup Super Bowl.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 23m23 minutes ago
Nice pass breakup by Jayrone Elliott. Kid is legit. Had wonderful preseason last year and has been very good this year. Also good on ST.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2015, 08:19 PM
Glover-Wright? I don't think pbmax knows these guys.

ThunderDan
09-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Looked like Jake Ryan jumped the first slant and maybe the QB throw to his second choice.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2015, 08:22 PM
Call me nuts, but I thought Abby looked pretty good out there. Maybe it just reminded me of Badger memories where he was a nifty player. He's a hell of an athlete. Not so much measurables, he's got shake.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhn!

pbmax
09-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Love the FB fake block and flat pass for TD. Would love Rip to add that to Red Zone offense.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Packers have best 4th string in the NFL

ThunderDan
09-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Who was bitching on this board about trading up to get Hundley. He looks like a steal.

pbmax
09-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Glover-Wright? I don't think pbmax knows these guys.

Last I heard of him was first preseason game. Maybe scrimmage now that I think of it.

Strange Brew
09-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Packers have best 4th string in the NFL

HaHaHaHa..No doubt! White still stinks. We need to keep Abbrederis, more upside in my opinion.

pbmax
09-03-2015, 08:37 PM
Barclay still in at RT.

pbmax
09-03-2015, 08:38 PM
Did we hire Solari AND Holmgren in the offseason?

ThunderDan
09-03-2015, 08:38 PM
Our screen game looks good in the preseason so far.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2015, 08:39 PM
Who was bitching on this board about trading up to get Hundley. He looks like a steal.

That was Bretsky. Guy is such a Badger homer, he think's Tolzien is Johnny U because he won the Johnny U Award in college.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2015, 08:41 PM
I really don't know who is best among Neal, Harris, Crockett. Neal's pass catching probably the edge, but all three have their running skills

ThunderDan
09-03-2015, 08:42 PM
Boy, White didn't even try to sell that pick play.

pbmax
09-03-2015, 08:43 PM
That was Bretsky. Guy is such a Badger homer, he think's Tolzien is Johnny U because he won the Johnny U Award in college.

B doesn't like Tolzien.

Crockett is a nice straight ahead, push the pile ahead runner. 3rd string left side can run block well.

Maxie the Taxi
09-03-2015, 08:44 PM
I really don't know who is best among Neal, Harris, Crockett. Neal's pass catching probably the edge, but all three have their running skills

Keep Neal and Crockett.

pbmax
09-03-2015, 08:45 PM
Gunter may not be a safety but he is like an insurance policy.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 8m8 minutes ago
Packers alternating Barclay and Walker at right tackle during the second half. .... Haven't seen White's burst until then. Just blew past 37

pbmax
09-03-2015, 08:46 PM
Keep Neal and Crockett.

I agree.

pbmax
09-03-2015, 08:46 PM
Banjo out there is not fair versus 4th string :D

esoxx
09-03-2015, 08:49 PM
B doesn't like Tolzien.

Crockett is a nice straight ahead, push the pile ahead runner. 3rd string left side can run block well.

That was straight up sarcasm by HH.

B is down on Tolzien like Strange Brew is down on White.

pbmax
09-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Now EDIT Harris runs for 9. :lol:

Maxie the Taxi
09-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Now Crockett runs for 9. :lol:

I think that was Harris.

Maxie the Taxi
09-03-2015, 08:52 PM
I like Harris as a runner, but I can't get those early drops he made out of my head. :-|

pbmax
Waker not looking lock solid at RT. But neither did Barclay.

Harlan Huckleby
Bachman with tough catch

pbmax
09-03-2015, 08:53 PM
I like Harris as a runner, but I can't get those early drops he made out of my head. :-|

Yep. Also slow.

Harlan Huckleby

Harris claims it is out of character for him, that he is good pass catcher.

Maxie the Taxi
Now THAT was Crockett!

pbmax
09-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Well, Walker was having trouble with a zone block when he was backside and chasing.

But on a play side drive block he just stuck 71 with two hands and drove him back standing 2 yards on that Crockett TD.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2015, 08:56 PM
I'm buying a Harris Packer jersey, I like his size, power, quickness. Might be a special order.

Maxie the Taxi
09-03-2015, 08:57 PM
I'm buying a Harris Packer jersey, I like his size, power, quickness. Might be a special order.

I'm buying a Crockett coonskin hat. I like his Lambeau Leap.

ThunderDan
09-03-2015, 08:57 PM
I am not sure if I want Neal or Crockett as the 3rd RB.

pbmax
09-03-2015, 08:59 PM
If you want to show the players how to tackle, buy a Fanor jersey.

Elliot covers nicely when he drops off LOS.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2015, 09:02 PM
I'm buying a Crockett coonskin hat. I like his Lambeau Leap.

Somehow I easily picture you in a coonskin hat. A musket is not such a reach either.

Maxie the Taxi
09-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Now splain to me why Hundley isn't our #2 QB.

pbmax
09-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Now splain to me why Hundley isn't our #2 QB.

Level of competition faced?

Plus experience starting and playing reg season. Knowledge of entire offense.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2015, 09:06 PM
If you want to show the players how to tackle, buy a Fanor jersey.

Elliot covers nicely when he drops off LOS.

I talked up Fanor before it was cool. Glad to hear Crockett looked good. Hope he makes the team or PS.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2015, 09:06 PM
Hundley certainly looks like a natural.

pbmax
09-03-2015, 09:07 PM
I talked up Fanor before it was cool. Glad to hear Crockett looked good. Hope he makes the team or PS.

Seriously, he might not cover a lick, but you wouldn't run by him. Or have a sweep or screen get past him.

Rastak
This must be a bummer watching all these backups after watching the starters in the dress rehearsal last week.......oh wait.......

:-P

Maxie the Taxi
Somehow I easily picture you in a coonskin hat. A musket is not such a reach either.

Coonskin is actually redneck apparel. We sophisticated urban gadabouts prefer the tricorn.

esoxx
I'm a big Fanor fan.

Whoever the hell that is.

pbmax
09-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Coonskin is actually redneck apparel. We sophisticated urban gadabouts prefer the tricorn.

With or without a fife?

pbmax
09-03-2015, 09:09 PM
I'm a big Fanor fan.

Names Jean. He's French. But one of the mean ones.

Maxie the Taxi
09-03-2015, 09:10 PM
With or without a fife?

Without. I'm a lifelong bachelor.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Every year the local sports media (especially Wayne Larivee) says a lot of the final Packer cuts will be on NFL rosters. Usually they turn out to be more green than gold. I think this is finally the year where some cuts make 53-man-rosters.

Maxie the Taxi
09-03-2015, 09:12 PM
I'm a big Fanor fan.

Eddy Fanor is the greatest fastpitch softball pitcher who ever lived...The King and His Court.

Rastak
09-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Eddy Fanor is the greatest fastpitch softball pitcher who ever lived...The King and His Court.

I forgot about that guy....dude had a crew cut and a beer gut if I recall.

pbmax
09-03-2015, 09:15 PM
Without. I'm a lifelong bachelor.

I always wondered what that word actually meant.

Maxie the Taxi
09-03-2015, 09:16 PM
I forgot about that guy....dude had a crew cut and a beer gut if I recall.

Yup. And he struck guys out pitching from 2nd base. His pitching arm was ripped and his other arm puny. LOL

Rastak
09-03-2015, 09:18 PM
Yup. And he struck guys out pitching from 2nd base. His pitching arm was ripped and his other arm puny. LOL

Kind of the softball version of the globetrotters.

Maxie the Taxi
09-03-2015, 09:19 PM
Hundley was 16 out of 23 for 236 yards and 4 TD's!

red
09-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Hundley was 16 out of 23 for 236 yards and 4 TD's!

guy really looked good the last two weeks

i'm thinking he could be the #2 this season

Strange Brew
09-03-2015, 10:07 PM
guy really looked good the last two weeks

i'm thinking he could be the #2 this season

Agreed!

Bretsky
09-03-2015, 10:32 PM

For the record I've been wrong a few times; no Odell Thurman never made the hall of fame.

But HH you are a jogoff. Scott Tolzien is also a jagoff. He's about the only Badger QB I didn't like and he choked in a huge bowl game vs TCU....Badger choker.....lol

And Bretsky liked Hundley !!

smuggler
09-03-2015, 10:33 PM
Pinkard looks like he might have a future in the NFL. The guy he smoked (Jean-Baptiste) is goingto be an opening day starter for the Saints (perhaps only due to injury to Keenan Lewis)

Not that he'll make the roster, but if he works hard on the practice squad, he could find himself on the 53 during the season with a strong candidacy for playing time in the future with GB or another team. Physical skills seem to be present.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2015, 10:43 PM
For the record I've been wrong a few times; no Odell Thurman never made the hall of fame.

But HH you are a jogoff. Scott Tolzien is also a jagoff. He's about the only Badger QB I didn't like and he choked in a huge bowl game vs TCU....Badger choker.....lol

And Bretsky liked Hundley !!

I remember you blamed Abberderis for not being "athletic enough" to make this play. Racist! Probably explains your preference at QB too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek3yw6zADls

smuggler
09-03-2015, 11:25 PM
He was plenty athletic enough. He got high enough, he just did so a half second early.

Patler
09-04-2015, 04:35 AM
Now splain to me why Hundley isn't our #2 QB.Level of competition faced?

Plus experience starting and playing reg season. Knowledge of entire offense.

Hundley did well last week with and against starters. Tolzien has played in 3 regular season games, with 2 starts. His experience might count for something, but not all that much. I don't doubt that Tolzien has a better understanding of the offense after two seasons than Hundley does after 4 months, but Hundley sure seems to be getting up to speed quickly. He looks better than Rodgers did as a rookie, and they entrusted Rodgers with the #2 spot.

I think they will keep both, but I don't have much less confidence in Hundley than in Tolzien. I think in a year or two, we will be wishing Hundley had come around about four years from now instead of this year.

I wonder what they can get for Rodgers in a trade four years from now? :-)

pbmax
09-04-2015, 08:20 AM
Hundley did well last week with and against starters. Tolzien has played in 3 regular season games, with 2 starts. His experience might count for something, but not all that much. I don't doubt that Tolzien has a better understanding of the offense after two seasons than Hundley does after 4 months, but Hundley sure seems to be getting up to speed quickly. He looks better than Rodgers did as a rookie, and they entrusted Rodgers with the #2 spot.

I think they will keep both, but I don't have much less confidence in Hundley than in Tolzien. I think in a year or two, we will be wishing Hundley had come around about four years from now instead of this year.

I disagree with nothing here. If I was Tolzien, I would have a plan about where you might want to go and discuss it with Ted in case Hundley delivers in 2016/17.

Patler
09-04-2015, 09:14 AM
I disagree with nothing here. If I was Tolzien, I would have a plan about where you might want to go and discuss it with Ted in case Hundley delivers in 2016/17.

So, do the Packers trade Tolzien this year, or just let him walk at the end of the season? It would have to be a very peculiar circumstance for Tolzien to sign another contract with GB. I doubt he will get that big of a FA contract to bring much of a compensatory pick; unless, God-forbid, Rodgers is out and Tolzien puts together a decent slug of stats this year.

Depending on MM's comfort level with Hundley, TT might be hitting the phones to see what Tolzien is worth.

Maxie the Taxi
09-04-2015, 10:35 AM
If we need to win this season with someone at QB other than #12, I'd say our best chance is with Hundley, from what I've seen of him. The reason is his strength and mobility in the pocket, his running ability and his ability to extend plays. If Tolzien starts, you get a typical, backup QB game manager. Defenses can easily game plan against him. Basically, pressure the hell out of him, and force him to make mistakes. You saw it last night with the attempted pass/almost a fumble play.

With Hundley you get Rodgers-lite (very lite but lite nevertheless). His legs are a real weapon despite his lack of experience. If he tucks and runs, his legs can mitigate mistakes and inexperience. His strength and ability to extend plays add a measure of unpredictability that defenses can't game plan for.

Fritz
09-04-2015, 10:42 AM
So, do the Packers trade Tolzien this year, or just let him walk at the end of the season? It would have to be a very peculiar circumstance for Tolzien to sign another contract with GB. I doubt he will get that big of a FA contract to bring much of a compensatory pick; unless, God-forbid, Rodgers is out and Tolzien puts together a decent slug of stats this year.

Depending on MM's comfort level with Hundley, TT might be hitting the phones to see what Tolzien is worth.

Except that MM and other coaches suggested that Hundley is just scratching the surface of the play book. In a real game situation his lack of knowledge of the offense would really mess them up if the guy had to start a couple of games. He'd be easy to game plan for. I'm pretty sure Tolzien is number two, and Hundley three. I don't think the team is too worried about losing Tolzien after the year and getting little. And what's he worth now, anyway? A fifth or sixth round pick? He's worth more than that to this team this year.

pbmax
09-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Except that MM and other coaches suggested that Hundley is just scratching the surface of the play book. In a real game situation his lack of knowledge of the offense would really mess them up if the guy had to start a couple of games. He'd be easy to game plan for. I'm pretty sure Tolzien is number two, and Hundley three. I don't think the team is too worried about losing Tolzien after the year and getting little. And what's he worth now, anyway? A fifth or sixth round pick? He's worth more than that to this team this year.

Yep. Tolzien has had three seasons with the team and 2 offseasons.

In an otherwise close call, the McCarthy will want the veteran. Doesn't mean he wins, but Ted would have to get good value. I can see him being tempted and would not be surprised if he is making calls and getting Blanchard on PS.

Smidgeon
09-04-2015, 11:08 AM

I'm already thinking this. Hundley isn't going to be Rodgers good, but if he ends up being a ten year serviceable starter, we'll wish he showed up late enough in Rodgers' career to take over. This early, serviceable backup, then hopefully a trade, a la Hasselback.

pbmax
09-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Best part of Hundley's game as a rookie is his pocket feel. For a kid that ran quite a bit of shotgun and some spread in college, he looks perfectly at home staying in the pocket and finding space to throw. He wasn't perfect, but he reset in a new spot more than once and was able to throw well.

sharpe1027
09-04-2015, 11:19 AM
I think Tolzien sticks because he is the guy they would want to step in if Rodgers gets hurt during the game (without a full week to prep). Maybe they would go with Hundley the following week, when they can install an appropriate game plan and give him some extra prep time.

Bossman641
09-04-2015, 11:34 AM
I'd be shocked if Tolzien isn't #2. He's a gym rat and knows the offense in and out. He's certainly no Rodgers, but with him you'd at least be able to run the majority of the playbook. With Hundley I think the offense would be scaled back quite a bit.

Fritz
09-04-2015, 11:56 AM
I like Hundley's game. I think he'll be good - we keep saying "we know he won't be as god as Rodgers, but..." - but who's to say he won't be next in line of the Starr-Favre-Rodgers succession?

But I do think he needs a couple years of old-fashioned watching and learning.

Smidgeon
09-04-2015, 12:38 PM
I like Hundley's game. I think he'll be good - we keep saying "we know he won't be as god as Rodgers, but..." - but who's to say he won't be next in line of the Starr-Favre-Rodgers succession?

But I do think he needs a couple years of old-fashioned watching and learning.

I'm trying not to be too greedy. But say he is the next in progression. Even if he will one day be that good, unless Rodgers falls off a cliff or retires early, Hundley will have prove it somewhere else. That's why I wish he showed up four years later.

smuggler
09-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Trade him in 2 years to an AFC squad for their first or second round pick. Until that time, he is insurance for the unthinkable.

Smidgeon
09-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Trade him in 2 years to an AFC squad for their first or second round pick. Until that time, he is insurance for the unthinkable.

Yeppers.

ThunderDan
09-04-2015, 04:07 PM
I'm trying not to be too greedy. But say he is the next in progression. Even if he will one day be that good, unless Rodgers falls off a cliff or retires early, Hundley will have prove it somewhere else. That's why I wish he showed up four years later.

He is going to be this generations Brunnell, Brooks and Hasselbeck.

pbmax
09-04-2015, 07:33 PM
Forgot to mention this:

Whoever taught the receivers the new swipe move to escape bump coverage when running a slant should get a raise. It seems legal and effective. My two favorite words on offense. Or motorsports.

/wax on, wax off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4dkuYro4t8

smuggler
09-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Hundley looks like a Matt Ryan clone to me, except with more upside due to mobility and arm!

Iron Mike
09-04-2015, 09:20 PM
that was a great series by ghetto brett

The Fresh Prince of Scray's Hill:

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/slides/photos/002/522/275/39995_web.sp.2.1.hundley.picA_big_crop_north.jpg?w =412&h=275&q=75http://redeeminggod.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/will_smith.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2015, 10:55 PM

you mean 4th round pick, tops.

Bretsky
09-04-2015, 10:58 PM
I remember you blamed Abberderis for not being "athletic enough" to make this play. Racist! Probably explains your preference at QB too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek3yw6zADls

Posting this play ?? YOU STOOP TO NEW LEVELS EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smuggler
09-05-2015, 04:46 AM
you mean 4th round pick, tops.

Given our recent luck in doing this kind of thing, you would be right. Hardly seems worth the time investment for a one-round bump, but that't the case with most players, sadly.