PDA

View Full Version : Geno Smith Teammate Knocks QB Out for Weeks

pbmax
08-11-2015, 01:05 PM
With a locker room sucker punch. A player who is no longer on the team, no surprise. Jets released him after Smith suffered a broken jaw in a brawl at Jets facilities.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/11/geno-smith-sucker-punched-in-jets-locker-room-out-6-10-weeks/

pbmax
08-11-2015, 01:15 PM
Ian RapoportVerified account
‏@RapSheet
Word is Geno Smith put his finger in the face of IK Enemkpali’s during and argument that wasn’t getting difused. Then came the punch

That isn't a sucker punch. But it isn't good either.

Cheesehead Craig
08-11-2015, 01:27 PM
See, life could be so much worse for Packer fans.

pbmax
08-11-2015, 01:28 PM
NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 8m8 minutes ago
"It's a lack of leadership on Geno Smith's part that he would put himself in harms way to get sucker punched"
Cris Carter on @SportsCenter

Not sure its leadership he is missing. More like common sense.

pbmax
08-11-2015, 01:29 PM
See, life could be so much worse for Packer fans.

I would be highly entertained if two backup runnings backs tried to buy a Lion cub right about now.

That team was a lot of fun. Probably less so for Holmgren. Same for Rison's year. Love the story of Reggie asking M1 to let Andre speak to the team.

pbmax
08-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt 5m5 minutes ago
When Clint Longley sucker-punched Staubach, I traded him for the No. 2 pick in 1977 draft. We took some guy named @Tony_Dorsett.

NOW THAT, IS A GREAT OLD GUY STORY.

Patler
08-11-2015, 03:33 PM
Training camp fights are common, but those fights are usually on the practice field, when players are in full pads. For a player to seriously injure a teammate in the locker room is very rare. And for a player to seriously injure his team’s starting quarterback is completely shocking.

For Smith and the Jets, it’s a major setback. And it’s a story that will raise serious questions around the NFL, about whether the league needs to crack down harder on fights between teammates.

They first talk about how rare it is, then suggest the league needs to do something?
One dumb situation in how many years?
Maybe when players fight, coaches should make them stand in the corners of the field until they have learned their lessons. :roll::roll:

Zool
08-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Guiness
08-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Or team! My doctor is a long suffering Jets fan, I might make an appointment just to rub his nose in it! I'm sure I've got an ache or pain we could discuss. Just gota make sure I don't go too far and give him reason to snap the latex.

Joemailman
08-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Am I the only one thinking maybe the guy punched Geno for the good of the team?

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2015, 06:16 PM
At least Ron Dayne had the good sense to clock a backup lineman.

No, I hardly think taking out a QB helps a team. The coaches have a better feel for who can play than the peanut gallery.

Punching somebody in the face over an insult or argument is nuts. It's not like in the movies. The kid Dayne hit had serious medical issues, broken eye socket, that ended his football participation. A broken jaw is a hell of a thing to deal with.

Cheesehead Craig
08-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Geno just needs to rub a little dirt on it, walk it off and get back on the field.

mraynrand
08-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Do they really know Enemkpali punched him? Did they get his cellphone? Will the League be able to punish him? I'm guessing a $5,000 fine and a stern letter.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Just saw this pic at jsonline, James Vaughters looks like he is being booked for punching somebody in the face.

Smile!

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/627980475429220352/tEFk9e4Z.jpg

JV in happier times:

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Foster+Farms+Bowl+Maryland+v+Stanford+5KR2n7CX2bNl .jpg

MadtownPacker
08-12-2015, 01:59 PM
Sounds like the trash just taking itself out to the street.

pbmax
08-12-2015, 02:22 PM
Do they really know Enemkpali punched him? Did they get his cellphone? Will the League be able to punish him? I'm guessing a $5,000 fine and a stern letter.

Its the Jets. That means the phone is in a blender, soon bound for a cement truck headed for New Jersey swampland.

mraynrand
08-12-2015, 02:24 PM
Its the Jets. That means the phone is in a blender, soon bound for a cement truck headed for New Jersey swampland.

Can't they just pour it into a foundation or something right on site. Ater all, that's what they did with Hoffa and that frog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsROL4Kf8QY

Joemailman
08-12-2015, 04:11 PM
This story just got better. Bills have claimed guy who punched Geno. http://fansided.com/2015/08/12/buffalo-bills-rex-ryan-ik-enemkpali-geno-smith/

MadScientist
08-12-2015, 04:33 PM
This story just got better. Bills have claimed guy who punched Geno. http://fansided.com/2015/08/12/buffalo-bills-rex-ryan-ik-enemkpali-geno-smith/

Rex claimed him to say thanks for doing what Rex always wanted to do himself.

It's really telling to see how the Jets players are tepid at best in their defense of their QB. If someone decked Rodgers, I doubt there would be much left of the guy to release.

MadScientist
08-12-2015, 05:39 PM
Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt 5m5 minutes ago
When Clint Longley sucker-punched Staubach, I traded him for the No. 2 pick in 1977 draft. We took some guy named @Tony_Dorsett.

NOW THAT, IS A GREAT OLD GUY STORY.

Trading the #2 overall for a backup who was not that great and had locker room problems!? That was one stupid trade. Imagine the Chargers with Fouts and Dorsett. That team would have dominated the early to mid 80's.

Cheesehead Craig
08-12-2015, 08:59 PM
Trading the #2 overall for a backup who was not that great and had locker room problems!? That was one stupid trade. Imagine the Chargers with Fouts and Dorsett. That team would have dominated the early to mid 80's.
They may have only thrown the ball 45 times instead of 50 each game.

wist43
08-12-2015, 09:57 PM

I'll tell ya what, my #2 team is the Chargers, and they were a lot of fun to watch in the early 80's. I was stationed there in 81-82... it was fun. Fouts, Winslow, Joiner, Jefferson, Wes Chandler, Chuck Muncie, James Brooks... Air Coryell!!

Rastak
08-12-2015, 10:40 PM
I'll tell ya what, my #2 team is the Chargers, and they were a lot of fun to watch in the early 80's. I was stationed there in 81-82... it was fun. Fouts, Winslow, Joiner, Jefferson, Wes Chandler, Chuck Muncie, James Brooks... Air Coryell!!

Chuck Muncie was good, he eventually joined the Vikings but the dude had a pretty bad coke problem.

hoosier
08-13-2015, 08:13 AM

That's not quite what happened. San Diego sent their D1 (#14) and D2 (#41) to Dallas in exchange for Longley and Dallas's D1 (#24). Dallas then sent San Diego's D1 and a pair of D2s (their own and SD's) to Seattle for the second overall. SD never had a shot at Dorsett, and Seattle decided not to draft him after Dorsett announced publicly that he had no desire to play for them .

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2015, 08:59 AM
I don't get this. How does anybody punch a co-worker in their work place in front of many people, cause a serious injury, and no charges are filed?

It's not like the NFL is punishing the guy. He ended up with a promotion.

I don't know the best way too handle this - criminal, civil, Goodell - but something is wrong with this picture.

MadScientist
08-13-2015, 09:19 AM
I don't get this. How does anybody punch a co-worker in their work place in front of many people, cause a serious injury, and no charges are filed?

I don't know the best way too handle this - criminal, civil, Goodell - but something is wrong with this picture.

Geno came up to the guy and stuck his finger in his face. Hard to get a criminal conviction there. Civil case is pretty weak because of that as well. Goodell may have some say, but I have no idea where this falls in the CBA. He was fired by the Jets as punishment, but that didn't prevent him get hired by another team. While the Bills may be a 'promotion' from the Jets, he is most likely farther down on the depth chart so it will be harder for him to make the roster.

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2015, 09:48 AM
Geno came up to the guy and stuck his finger in his face.

You don't say! Guess Geno is just lucky he didn't get shot for doing something like that.

mraynrand
08-13-2015, 09:49 AM

If they have witnesses other than the ball boys and perhaps have cell phone pics, they might be able to convince someone that the guy actually broke Gino's jaw. Maybe the cell phone memories have been wiped or the phones broken. Otherwise, who can know?

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Probably just a big misunderstanding. Or perhaps Geno had a threatening booger on that finger. Boys will be boys.

sharpe1027
08-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Geno came up to the guy and stuck his finger in his face. Hard to get a criminal conviction there. Civil case is pretty weak because of that as well. Goodell may have some say, but I have no idea where this falls in the CBA. He was fired by the Jets as punishment, but that didn't prevent him get hired by another team. While the Bills may be a 'promotion' from the Jets, he is most likely farther down on the depth chart so it will be harder for him to make the roster.

I am not so sure that: "but, he stuck his finger in my face" would be a valid defense in court. I think that the problem the NFL has is that there are lots of punches thrown between players and they do not get punished. Does this guy get punished because he connected well, or do they start cracking down on all fights?

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2015, 09:59 AM
There is only one way that this story ends well: Rex Ryan sticks his finger in Enemkpali's face and gets a broken jaw.

sharpe1027
08-13-2015, 11:14 AM
There is only one way that this story ends well: Rex Ryan sticks his finger in Enemkpali's face and gets a broken jaw.

Well played. Well played.

Zool
08-13-2015, 11:51 AM
All hockey fights result in assault charges? Is boxing considered a felony?

Why do we care?

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2015, 12:05 PM

Why do we care?
We make violence criminal to protect ourselves and have civility.

Violent sports are generally an exception, participants accept certain risks. (There could be conditions worthy of assault charges even in sport.)

You don't get to break somebody's jaw because the raise a finger in your face. A locker room is no different than a chucky cheese game room or a book club meeting.

mraynrand
08-13-2015, 12:06 PM

Why do we care?

I think Wist would argue that the Packers treat all tackles as misdemeanor offenses.

mraynrand
08-13-2015, 12:09 PM

Violent sports are generally an exception, participants accept certain risks. (There could be conditions worthy of assault charges even in sport.)

You don't get to break somebody's jaw because the raise a finger in your face. A locker room is no different than a chucky cheese game room or a book club meeting.

You tell 'em H. That shooting in "The Last Boyscout" was still murder, even though it happened on the gridiron!

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/e/e9/LBSBeretta84F-2.jpg/600px-LBSBeretta84F-2.jpg

Hands up! Don't Pass!

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2015, 12:16 PM
I didn't admire this rough justice against guy armed only with high alchohol content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdP2G7UtS9I

Actually, rewatching it, it wasn't as brutal as I remembered.

sharpe1027
08-13-2015, 01:34 PM
A locker room is no different than a chucky cheese game room or a book club meeting.

Except for all the grown men showering and getting dressed.

wist43
08-13-2015, 03:28 PM

"Civil" people conduct themselves honorably. Had Geno Smith done the honorable thing, i.e. 1) attended the camp as he said he would, or 2) reimbursed IK the plane ticket money for the broken promise - it would all be good, huh?? In a "civil" society.

But that isn't what happened, is it??

Geno told IK to go fuck himself, he's not going to give him the money, and there's nothing IK can do about - all the time getting in the mans space. Dude had it comin' and then some - and that should have been the end of it - except of course Smith still has to pay up.

wist43
08-13-2015, 03:32 PM
I think Wist would argue that the Packers treat all tackles as misdemeanor offenses.

It's only a misdemeanor if the protocol of asking the ball carrier politely 2 times to fall down is ignored ;)

Zool
08-13-2015, 03:51 PM

You also can't charge someone with a crime if no one presses charges.

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Geno told IK to go fuck himself, he's not going to give him the money, and there's nothing IK can do about - all the time getting in the mans space. Dude had it comin' and then some

You don't know enough about this dispute to take sides, so to hell with any judgement you've made about who has what comin.

But more to point, disputes over deals-gone-bad have been happening for thousands of years. I couldn't disagree more that the way to resolve an argument is to attack someone.

MadtownPacker
08-13-2015, 04:29 PM
You don't know enough about this dispute to take sides, so to hell with any judgement you've made about who has what comin.

But more to point, disputes over deals-gone-bad have been happening for thousands of years. I couldn't disagree more that the way to resolve an argument is to attack someone.Get your pudgy finger out my face muthafucka!!

You once threaten to wrassle me to the ground cuz I didn't give you your way. So save the man of peace bullshit.

pbmax
08-13-2015, 05:11 PM
If they have witnesses other than the ball boys and perhaps have cell phone pics, they might be able to convince someone that the guy actually broke Gino's jaw. Maybe the cell phone memories have been wiped or the phones broken. Otherwise, who can know?

And does this fall under Equipment Tampering, PED Policy, Workplace Conditions or Personal Conduct?

pbmax
08-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Just think if Geno actually owed this guy serious money. He might be lucky to play this season.

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2015, 05:14 PM
Just think if Geno actually owed this guy serious money. He might be lucky to play this season.

Normally it's a guy named Geno doing the knee-capping.

wist43
08-13-2015, 05:35 PM

But more to point, disputes over deals-gone-bad have been happening for thousands of years. I couldn't disagree more that the way to resolve an argument is to attack someone.

Geno reneged on a promise to attend a football camp set up by IK. Okay, shit happens; but, the guy trying to do something for the kids is out of pocket for the plane ticket, has egg on his face b/c one of the "stars" he promised would attend had something better to do, and Geno arrogantly refused to make good the promise or the plane ticket!!

On top of that, the reports from the locker room were that Geno was in the guys face, challenging him, wagging his finger, and telling him there was nothing he could do about it - well, there is something he can do about it, and he did what I would have done. Only I probably wouldn't have stopped with the 1 punch.

red
08-13-2015, 05:37 PM
i'm with wist. it sure sounds like geno got what he deserved IMO

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2015, 07:54 PM
i'm with wist. it sure sounds like geno got what he deserved IMO

I'm sensing some macho hot air in here.

When is the last time you punched a man in the face, or did something similarly violent? Why did it happen?
Wist? How many years has it been since you delivered some righteous wrath?

My guess it has been somewhere between decades and never. A mature man doesn't hit somebody in the face unless there is no option. Too many bad things can happen.

wist43
08-13-2015, 09:05 PM
I'm sensing some macho hot air in here.

When is the last time you punched a man in the face, or did something similarly violent? Why did it happen?
Wist? How many years has it been since you delivered some righteous wrath?

My guess it has been somewhere between decades and never. A mature man doesn't hit somebody in the face unless there is no option. Too many bad things can happen.

Last time I got to throw down I was 28.... and it really wasn't all that uncommon an occurrence generally. Hardworking people. drinking to get by/kill the pain... lot of fights. Lot of tough people. Lots of alcoholics - red necks.

My dad beat some punk at pool, and the guy was givin him a hard time. My dad was basically a cripple - won't do. His friend helped him to his truck ;)

That said, just b/c the statute of limitations has expired on me and Red - don't mean it has expired on some young guns like IK and Geno. Geno was out of line, IK set him straight. That should have been the end of it.

Bretsky
08-13-2015, 09:07 PM
Truth be told from what I've heard about Geno I bet some of his teammates would have liked to pop him in the face as well.
I would never want Geno Smith leading a team I had anything to do with.

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2015, 10:04 PM
Hardworking people. drinking to get by/kill the pain... lot of fights. Lot of tough people. Lots of alcoholics - red necks.
So a family reunion. Ya, sometimes old grudges can flare up at those affairs despite the best intentions.

sharpe1027
08-13-2015, 10:30 PM
You also can't charge someone with a crime if no one presses charges.

Not true.

Zool
08-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Not true.

So based on a news story the police could file charges?

sharpe1027
08-14-2015, 10:02 AM
So based on a news story the police could file charges?

No, because the police can never file charges, that is up to a prosecutor.

Seriously though, a prosecutor can file anytime he or she believes the facts are sufficient, but it can be difficult to get a conviction if the victim does not want to cooperate and it is a convenient excuse to avoid difficult cases.

I did not say that they would file only based on a news story, but you said they needed someone to "press charges." That is not true.

MadtownPacker
08-14-2015, 12:03 PM
No, because the police can never file charges, that is up to a prosecutor.

Seriously though, a prosecutor can file anytime he or she believes the facts are sufficient, but it can be difficult to get a conviction if the victim does not want to cooperate and it is a convenient excuse to avoid difficult cases.

I did not say that they would file only based on a news story, but you said they needed someone to "press charges." That is not true.You are correct my educated White friend. Silly bitch like zool thinks his skin is his win but it is actually his sin.

Zool
08-14-2015, 12:19 PM
You are correct my educated White friend. Silly bitch like zool thinks his skin is his win but it is actually his sin.

Hell even your people love me. I win despite my skin my mocha colored twin.

pbmax
08-14-2015, 12:58 PM
Don't worry, Roger's guys are on the case:

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 25m25 minutes ago
NFL sends memo to teams reminding them of prohibition on fighting http://wp.me/p14QSB-9PdR

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2015, 01:02 PM
Don't worry, Roger's guys are on the case:

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 25m25 minutes ago
NFL sends memo to teams reminding them of prohibition on fighting http://wp.me/p14QSB-9PdR

If only Enemkpali had gotten the memo in time....

MadtownPacker
08-14-2015, 01:22 PM
Hell even your people love me. I win despite my skin my mocha colored twin.
That's not love, just fear.

Sorry but White is the new Black. :lol:

MadtownPacker
08-14-2015, 01:24 PM
If only Enemkpali had gotten the memo in time....
Memo to HH: Go fuck yourself, if you can find the damn thing anymore. I'm not buying this bs about not hitting people. I also like how your ignored my post calling you out about threatening to wring my neck.

mraynrand
08-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Memo to HH: Go fuck yourself, if you can find the damn thing anymore. I'm not buying this bs about not hitting people. I also like how your ignored my post calling you out about threatening to wring my neck.

Hey if that will be covered by the NLF network, let me know. I'd like to see it.

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Madtown is talking to me? Guess I need to take him off my ignore list.

You go back down in your tunnel, El Chapo wannabe. I'm getting my ganja from nice white folks now, home grown in nice homes. Don't need to be associating with your kind.

sharpe1027
08-14-2015, 02:12 PM
You are correct my educated White friend. Silly bitch like zool thinks his skin is his win but it is actually his sin.

Statistically speaking, you have good odds of being correct on that assumption.