PDA

View Full Version : John Jones - The Team President that Never Was

smuggler
08-21-2015, 02:48 PM
Eight years ago, Harlan's successor left the organization. The Packers eventually settled on Mark Murphy taking over the reigns and the rest is history.

What has become of John and how might the team have fared under his direction as opposed to Murph? (IIRC I believe the primary reason for his departure was his health - he'd had heart surgery a year or so prior.)

I remember being quite nervous at the news of the sudden change of plans with respect to the transition to a new regime, personally.

pbmax
08-21-2015, 04:42 PM
They also parted ways with Jason Wied under odd circumstances after Murphy came on board. And Murphy made mention of Wied's effort in getting the Titletown Redevelopment project started just yesterday.

Patler
08-21-2015, 10:39 PM
A few years after that fact, either the the J-S or the GBPG had an article about the Jones situation. He explained that during the surgery that saved his life, he suffered a stroke. It left him with physical and memory issues that made it impossible to stay in the Packer job. He came back and tried, but at the last minute everyone agreed he just couldn't do it. Apparently, many of the employees did not know the details, which caused a lot of rumors, because he was acting peculiarly, mostly due to short term memory issues.

Jones has given speeches at men's groups, encouraging them to get more frequent checkups, like most of our wives do. He was one of a very small percentage that survive the type of heart issue he had.

Fritz
08-22-2015, 07:09 AM
A few years after that fact, either the the J-S or the GBPG had an article about the Jones situation. He explained that during the surgery that saved his life, he suffered a stroke. It left him with physical and memory issues that made it impossible to stay in the Packer job. He came back and tried, but at the last minute everyone agreed he just couldn't do it. Apparently, many of the employees did not know the details, which caused a lot of rumors, because he was acting peculiarly, mostly due to short term memory issues.

Jones has given speeches at men's groups, encouraging them to get more frequent checkups, like most of our wives do. He was one of a very small percentage that survive the type of heart issue he had.

I think I recall those rumors - that he had wigged out, or that he was somehow undermining the whole organization and was a bad apple.

KYPack
08-22-2015, 10:27 AM
With Jones, it's a chicken and the egg argument. Everyone agrees that he was an incompetent jerk-off. Was he an asshole before he had his medical issues or did that result from his heart troubles? Does it matter?

I feel he was a bad hire. Bob Harlan made two personnel mistakes. The worst was Jones. Making Sherman GM was the other one. Both miscues were the same issue. Hiring a man that was unqualified to do a job that was beyond his capabilities. Shermie's problem was he was stretched too thin. Jones, OTOH, was simply way in over his head.

Patler
08-22-2015, 03:05 PM
With Jones, it's a chicken and the egg argument. Everyone agrees that he was an incompetent jerk-off. Was he an asshole before he had his medical issues or did that result from his heart troubles? Does it matter?

I don't know if it matters or not, but at the time some stories were that the power went to his head. When he started his year "in charge", when Harlan sort of stepped back a bit, he started treating people differently and would tell them what to do over an over. The timing of that coincided with his stroke, so maybe it wasn't the new found power.