PDA

View Full Version : RapSheet says Nelson Diagnosis is torn ACL

pbmax
08-23-2015, 01:54 PM
Will need to be confirmed by MRI later.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 16s16 seconds ago
The initial diagnosis on #Packers WR Jordy Nelson is a torn ACL, source said. Horrible news. Awaiting MRI results to confirm.

MadScientist
08-23-2015, 02:00 PM
Fuck!

pbmax
08-23-2015, 02:00 PM
Yep. It happened when he landed with leg extended on one leg only after initial jump. First reaction was right.

Guiness
08-23-2015, 02:07 PM
His season done if that's the case 8-(

VegasPackFan
08-23-2015, 02:09 PM
This is BIG blow to our offense. Have to wonder now who steps up? I would expect Adams but Janis is more of a Jordy type receiver.

Packgator
08-23-2015, 02:11 PM
Obviously a huge loss. Jordy and Rodgers are so in sync with each other. Can't replace that.

pbmax
08-23-2015, 02:13 PM
I will eat my hat if its not his left (landing) knee.

pbmax
08-23-2015, 02:25 PM
Jermichael FinleyVerified account
‏@JermichaelF88
With Nelson out. Let's see how good @AaronRodgers12 really is. #Packers

pbmax
08-23-2015, 02:37 PM
JS Comments ‏@JSComments 31s31 seconds ago
The shadow of THE CHOKE looms bigger with each passing pre-season game and each injury.

Judd Zulgad ‏@1500ESPNJudd 5m5 minutes ago
I appreciate Jordy Nelson as much as the next person but no one really thinks that Aaron Rodgers is going to "struggle" without him. Right?

JS Comments ‏@JSComments 2m2 minutes ago
Terrible blow but a door open for Abberderis.

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 11m11 minutes ago
Is Finley throwing shade at Rodgers? Uhhh

pbmax
08-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Football Perspective ‏@fbgchase 30s30 seconds ago
If Jordy Nelson misses 2015, he'll be just 2nd player to gain 1100 rec yards in Year N & 0 in Year N+1.

First? Sterling Sharpe 20 yrs ago.

smuggler
08-23-2015, 02:50 PM
Nooo...

Packgator
08-23-2015, 02:56 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but.....

The Packers can't win the super bowl with Jordy out for the year. He makes to many important plays. Some of those important plays can be replaced, but not all of them.

Smidgeon
08-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Okay, who had Nelson in the injury pool?

Smidgeon
08-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Football Perspective ‏@fbgchase 30s30 seconds ago
If Jordy Nelson misses 2015, he'll be just 2nd player to gain 1100 rec yards in Year N & 0 in Year N+1.

First? Sterling Sharpe 20 yrs ago.

What does that mean?

Tony Oday
08-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Sucks but he is not a Calvin Johnson. We can survive.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2015, 03:17 PM
I'd say the NFC North is up for grabs.

smuggler
08-23-2015, 03:31 PM
Going to send negitive vibes to Antonio Brown, Leveon Bell, and Big Ben ACLs before every game at Heinz field until they fix their stupid turf.

Rutnstrut
08-23-2015, 03:41 PM
I understand the positive thinking with those that say the team can overcome this. But if they lose Jordy for the season, it will be a very significant blow. Rodgers will have a bad season without Jordy.

yetisnowman
08-23-2015, 03:44 PM
all you goobers that didn't want to bring in a vet like andre johnson,james jones, jennings etc as to avoid stunting the development of guys like adams and janis.....well you got your wish. They have free reign to develop and show their skills.

pbmax
08-23-2015, 03:46 PM
What does that mean?

From dominant to out for the year in back to back years.

pbmax
08-23-2015, 03:47 PM
I understand the positive thinking with those that say the team can overcome this. But if they lose Jordy for the season, it will be a very significant blow. Rodgers will have a bad season without Jordy.

Rex Grossman bad or less like Brady bad?

smuggler
08-23-2015, 03:47 PM
You're kind of a dick, yeti.

pbmax
08-23-2015, 03:51 PM
In Jordy's honor and in recognition of where the injury occurred, I am drinking a Yuengling Traditional Lager out of a can.

red
08-23-2015, 03:52 PM
i think adams is gonna end up have a pretty big year now

he looks ready to take the next step

Bossman641
08-23-2015, 03:57 PM
What does that mean?

1100 yards in 1 year followed by 0 yards the following years.

Packgator
08-23-2015, 03:57 PM
i think adams is gonna end up have a pretty big year now

he looks ready to take the next step

Hope so. However, having Jordy on the field almost certainly made things easier for Adams.

Packgator
08-23-2015, 04:00 PM
Jordy makes so many great plays on the sideline. Many of those great plays were on 3rd down and resulted in a 1st down. With Jordy out, many of those 1st downs will be punts instead of 1st downs.

yetisnowman
08-23-2015, 04:04 PM
You're kind of a dick, yeti.

Sorry the truth hurts. We needed depth and versatility at wr. Now we have a bunch of question marks and unprovens.

pbmax
08-23-2015, 04:16 PM
Jermichael Finley ‏@JermichaelF88 2m2 minutes ago
EVERYONE!! I worded poorly, meant to say, you'll now see how good @AaronRodgers12 is. Prayers to @JordyRNelson. R E L A X

Fritz
08-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Sorry the truth hurts. We needed depth and versatility at wr. Now we have a bunch of question marks and unprovens.

Nelson getting injured doesn't magically make you right. Let's see how the younguns do before you declare victory. And by the way, what you think is only your opinion, not necessarily the truth.

Packgator
08-23-2015, 04:24 PM
Other than Rodgers, Jordy was the one (offensive) guy the Packers couldn't afford to lose. Cobb and Adams will have things a lot tougher with Jordy not on field. I believe the Packers now only have 2 WR's on the roster with more than 10 career catches. The Nelson injury has me feeling sick.

Rutnstrut
08-23-2015, 04:52 PM
Rex Grossman bad or less like Brady bad?

Less like a god, more human. Let's hope it's not Rex Grossman human.

Rutnstrut
08-23-2015, 04:54 PM
Jordy makes so many great plays on the sideline. Many of those great plays were on 3rd down and resulted in a 1st down. With Jordy out, many of those 1st downs will be punts instead of 1st downs.

My thoughts exactly, plus Jordy plays with grittines and heart which will not be easily replaced.

pbmax
08-23-2015, 05:08 PM
JS Comments ‏@JSComments 5m5 minutes ago
As far as Jordy's career goes, I think it's over. There is truth to having the league figured him out.

JS Comments ‏@JSComments 6m6 minutes ago
The Pack lost its #1 receiver back in '96 and still ended up winning the SB. Then again, the Pack had a COMPETENT GM back then.

JS Comments ‏@JSComments 8m8 minutes ago
Fire the whole dang Medical Staff !!!!!!!!

Red, GET OFF JSO!

Teamcheez1
08-23-2015, 05:14 PM
Other than Rodgers, Jordy was the one (offensive) guy the Packers couldn't afford to lose. Cobb and Adams will have things a lot tougher with Jordy not on field. I believe the Packers now only have 2 WR's on the roster with more than 10 career catches. The Nelson injury has me feeling sick.

I was at one of my kids games when someone told me of the Jordy injury. My comment was this was actually one of the positions we could afford to lose a player.

smuggler
08-23-2015, 05:17 PM
You may be right about that, but still a low blow. Maybe they'll consider Reggie Wayne now.

Packgator
08-23-2015, 05:19 PM
My comment was this was actually one of the positions we could afford to lose a player.

I agree, but only if the player was anyone but Jordy.

yetisnowman
08-23-2015, 05:25 PM
Nelson getting injured doesn't magically make you right. Let's see how the younguns do before you declare victory. And by the way, what you think is only your opinion, not necessarily the truth.

Nelson getting hurt for the season is an extreme scenario. But it illustrates what, in my opinion, was a liability going into the offseason.....Depth and versatility. There is no joy in this scenario. I think this essentially kills the season. I would love to be wrong. I just think a solid vet receiver would have been a smart move to soften some of the growing pains of these young guys. I would love to be wrong.

Patler
08-23-2015, 05:35 PM
Do they have someone who will replace Nelson and do what Nelson did? Of course not, not this year anyway. It took Nelson a few years to become Nelson, too. But they have guys who will catch a lot of passes anyway. Losing one WR will not bring the offense to a grinding halt. Rodgers will find people to throw the ball to.

There is only one guy who is more or less irreplaceable, and that is Rodgers. I am more worried about Bakhtiari's injury than Nelson's, because of the apparent effect it might have on Rodgers' well-being.

Patler
08-23-2015, 05:39 PM
Nelson getting hurt for the season is an extreme scenario. But it illustrates what, in my opinion, was a liability going into the offseason.....Depth and versatility. There is no joy in this scenario. I think this essentially kills the season. I would love to be wrong. I just think a solid vet receiver would have been a smart move to soften some of the growing pains of these young guys. I would love to be wrong.

I think I will wait for Adams, Montgomery, Janis, White and Abredarris to fail before I throw in the towel for the season.

smuggler
08-23-2015, 05:48 PM
Would be nice but Abbrederis is done, man. He can't even make it through an NFL practice without a debilitating concussion...

Patler
08-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Would be nice but Abbrederis is done, man. He can't even make it through an NFL practice without a debilitating concussion...

I suspect Abbrederis is done, too; but until it is official he is still a possible contributor looking forward.

Joemailman
08-23-2015, 06:10 PM
This is a tough blow for sure. It would be a disaster if Rodgers were merely good. But he's great. Great QB's elevate their teammates. I think this sets Adams up for a 1000 yard season. (Unsolicited fantasy tip). And Montgomery is looking like their best rookie WR since Greg Jennings. They'll still be one of the top passing teams in the NFL. Losing Lacy would have been much worse than this.

Pugger
08-23-2015, 06:19 PM
Do they have someone who will replace Nelson and do what Nelson did? Of course not, not this year anyway. It took Nelson a few years to become Nelson, too. But they have guys who will catch a lot of passes anyway. Losing one WR will not bring the offense to a grinding halt. Rodgers will find people to throw the ball to.

There is only one guy who is more or less irreplaceable, and that is Rodgers. I am more worried about Bakhtiari's injury than Nelson's, because of the apparent effect it might have on Rodgers' well-being.

This all damn day long.

Pugger
08-23-2015, 06:21 PM
This is a tough blow for sure. It would be a disaster if Rodgers were merely good. But he's great. Great QB's elevate their teammates. I think this sets Adams up for a 1000 yard season. (Unsolicited fantasy tip). And Montgomery is looking like their best rookie WR since Greg Jennings. They'll still be one of the top passing teams in the NFL. Losing Lacy would have been much worse than this.

I hope NONE of our starters see the field again until Chicago.

bobblehead
08-23-2015, 06:24 PM

So your argument is that TT did a bad job with the WR group? Like having the deepest WR in the entire NFL was a fuckup?

Seriously, I know Mad was upset once when I suggested certain people should refrain from posting because they are stupid but.....

pittstang5
08-23-2015, 06:28 PM
I hope NONE of our starters see the field again until Chicago.

I usually enjoy preseason. I love watching the younger guys and seeing who will be this years Sam Shields, TWill, D'Soto, Elliot..etc, etc. But I want this preseason over. Losing Jordy really hurts.

bobblehead
08-23-2015, 06:28 PM

Ok, here is my prediction. After the season you will realize that having an aging player who is on the downside would NOT have been better than having up and comers who have a couple camps in the system. So, you will feel love.

bobblehead
08-23-2015, 06:29 PM
I think I will wait for Adams, Montgomery, Janis, White and Abredarris to fail before I throw in the towel for the season.

I will wait for Abredarris to come out of the dark room and wipe the drool away before I count on him for anything other than a future front office job.

denverYooper
08-23-2015, 06:49 PM

all you goobers that didn't want to bring in a vet like andre johnson,james jones, jennings etc as to avoid stunting the development of guys like adams and janis.....well you got your wish. They have free reign to develop and show their skills.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNIWMkhWsAAej1W.png

hoosier
08-23-2015, 07:08 PM

Agree that losing Lacy would have been worse because of depth at WR. Also, if they had to lose Nelson, better that it happen in preseason than in the middle of the season. Losing a star in the preseason tends to open up spaces for younger guys to step up, and whoever steps up (Adams, Montgomery) will have a few weeks to work with Rodgers, much like Bakhtiari with the rest of the OL when Bulaga went down in the preseason two years ago. This is a terrible loss, make no mistake, but given the timing the team still has a chance to recover. If it happened in December then I'm not so sure.

Joemailman
08-23-2015, 07:12 PM
Adams will be in the spotlight now. Some guys just need a chance to start.

In 1995 Robert Brooks went from 648 yards in 1994 to 1497 following the retirement of Sterling Sharpe.
In 1996 Antonio Freeman went from 106 yards in 1995 to 933 yards (in 12 games) following an injury to Robert Brooks.
In 1999 Bill Schroeder went from 452 yards in 1998 to 1051 yards after replacing Robert Brooks.
In 2002 Donald Driver went from 167 yards in 2001 to 1064 yards after the departure of Freeman and Schroeder.
In 2011 Jordy Nelson went from 582 yards in 2010 to 1263 yards as he replaced Donald Driver as a starter.
In 2012 Randall Cobb went from 375 yards in 2011 to 954 yards as Greg Jennings was injured.
In 2013 Jarrett Boykin went from 27 yards in 2012 to 681 yards as Randall Cobb was injured.

George Cumby
08-23-2015, 07:38 PM
I'm with Patler. Let's see what happens before we quit on the team and the season. Remember the most recent Super Bowl run?

Packgator
08-23-2015, 08:28 PM
The "other" WR's can replace some (perhaps all) of the catches, yards, and TD's that Jordy would have caught this year. We won't see much of a drop off in overall offensive stats. What can't be replaced is the chemistry that Rodgers has with Nelson. That chemistry is so important in the type of fast offense the Packers run. Where we'll notice a drop off is the success rate of the crucial, must have type plays (3rd down conversions, etc.) that Rodgers would go to Nelson with. Over the course of a season these plays add up and are the difference in 3 or 4 wins (or losses). That could take an 11 win team down to 8 wins.

As much as I like Lacy, and as good as I think he is, losing him would be less damaging than losing Nelson. I'm sure Rodgers feels the same way. I sure hope I'm wrong about this, but that's how I see things right now.

pbmax
08-23-2015, 08:36 PM
The beauty of the Andre Johnson trolling is magnificent.

1. No one knows or cares if he would sign given offer.

2. Number of posters who opposed his signing might approach 3.

3. Options other than Johnson (see #1) need not be noted, because everyone is first checking if they count in #2.

4. If Johnson falls down a well in Week 2, the point can still stand. See #3.

5. No one knows about Adams, Janis or Montgomery. Everyone knows about Andre Johnson. No one will comment on the actual status of the 2015 version of Andre Johnson: crumbling, dessicated husk.

6. GM of Colts, who also traded for Trent Richardson = Genius with 1 playoff win. Thompson, with 1 Super Bowl win = Dullard.

red
08-23-2015, 08:40 PM
i think the question should be asked if he was brought back too soon?

having had the hip surgery, he missed the offseason, and a good part of training camp i believe.

part of me thinks the injury could have been caused by him not being 100% in playing shape yet

jordy is a good player, but i think its more of a case of a-rod making the wr's better rather the wr's making a-rod better. just look at the list of guys he's played with. sorry but TT isn't that good, he hasn't magically ht on every receiver he's drafted

the biggest loss will be the rapport between jordy and a-rod that the young guys don't have yet. he rodgers can build that comfort level with the young guys then we may not lose much of a step

but if he can't

we're fucked

red
08-23-2015, 08:42 PM
remember back when favre lost sterling sharpe?

favre said it was the best thing to happen to him because he was forced to look for everyone else

King Friday
08-23-2015, 08:44 PM
The last time I checked, Tom Brady is wearing a HUGE FUCKING RING that he earned last year with a puny shrimp like Edelman and Brandon LaFell (who???) as the top 2 WRs. Yeah, he's got Gronk too...but even without Nelson, our receiving corp is as good as what the Pats had last year. So tell me again...how does this mean the end for us when Rodgers is our QB?

Everyone thought the damn season was done in 1996 too. Everyone was laughing their fucking asses off when Andre Rison came to town. What could the Packers do without Brooks and Freeman? They were DOOOOOOOOMED! When your QB is MVP caliber, any receiver who has the talent to be in the NFL is going to be able to make plays. Adams is ready to take the next step...some of the young guys now get a chance to step up. Nelson now can be another receiver coach on the team...helping the kids get up to speed as quickly as possible.

This is hardly the end of road. It is better it happened before the year than in week 10 or something. Cobb is plenty capable of catching 120 balls. Adams is plenty capable of catching 70. Last time I checked, that's pretty close to what Jordy and Cobb grabbed last year. And you whiners are all pitching a boo-hoo fit?

Nelson is a very good player...but he's not an elite WR. He benefits A LOT from Rodgers. Nelson still disappears at times. His playoff YPC is almost 3 yards shorter than his regular season average, and he hasn't totaled 100 yards receiving in the postseason in any of the last 4 trips to the playoffs, even those where we played TWO games. He normally has monster games against piss poor defenses. Last year, it was Chicago and Atlanta...24 catches, over 400 yds, 6 TDs in just 3 games. In SEVEN games last year, Jordy had 5 or fewer catches. Yes, he's very dependable in big moments...and that will become a potential issue. However, Cobb has also shown that penchant...and Adams too at points late last year. I'm not sure Nelson's loss is such a tremendous hole that can't be filled by other guys who now have more of a chance to see the field and gain experience that was hard to come by while Nelson and Cobb were always on the field.

I'm sorry, this is unfortunate but it hardly is something that is going to hinder this team from reaching their goals. WR was one of our deepest areas on the team. The true keys to our success are keeping Rodgers healthy and having a defense that can stop someone more often than not. Rodgers can easily lead a more than capable offense led by Cobb, along with Adams, Montgomery and whoever else earns a spot on the squad.

red
08-23-2015, 08:54 PM
well, i'm not saying its a good idea, but this is something you might hear being mentioned in the near future

randy moss wants to play again

Patler
08-23-2015, 08:59 PM
I will wait for Abredarris to come out of the dark room and wipe the drool away before I count on him for anything other than a future front office job.

I'm not counting on him either, but it isn't over until it is over. For Abredarris, I suspect that will be soon; but he has talent and is on the roster, so I included him.

Patler
08-23-2015, 09:08 PM
The "other" WR's can replace some (perhaps all) of the catches, yards, and TD's that Jordy would have caught this year. We won't see much of a drop off in overall offensive stats. What can't be replaced is the chemistry that Rodgers has with Nelson. That chemistry is so important in the type of fast offense the Packers run. Where we'll notice a drop off is the success rate of the crucial, must have type plays (3rd down conversions, etc.) that Rodgers would go to Nelson with. Over the course of a season these plays add up and are the difference in 3 or 4 wins (or losses). That could take an 11 win team down to 8 wins.

It might not be as bad as you think, because:
- several commented that a Rodgers/Adams connection seemed to be developing quicker than expected;
- those 3rd down connections that won't be there initially without Nelson, will be broken plays as Rodgers scrambles, and Cobb is majical on those.

King Friday
08-23-2015, 09:12 PM
those 3rd down connections that won't be there initially without Nelson, will be broken plays as Rodgers scrambles, and Cobb is majical on those.

And just a guess...but I'm guessing Montgomery will excel there as well.

Packgator
08-23-2015, 09:18 PM
So tell me again...how does this mean the end for us when Rodgers is our QB?

Nelson is a very good player...but he's not an elite WR.

I'm sorry, this is unfortunate but it hardly is something that is going to hinder this team from reaching their goals. Rodgers can easily lead a more than capable offense led by Cobb, along with Adams, Montgomery and whoever else earns a spot on the squad.

I think Nelson is an elite WR. His stats can be replaced, but his go-to factor will be sorely missed. I don't feel all is lost. The Packers can still be one of the better teams. But I was thinking Super Bowl and right now I believe those Super Bowl chances were reduced. I think Nelson's talent is worth (to this team) 2 or 3 more wins for the season if he is playing. I can't say anything close to that about the other WR's. Those 2 or 3 wins could be the difference between a good season and a great season. Again, I hope I'm completely wrong about Jordy's value to this team.

Packgator
08-23-2015, 09:23 PM
It might not be as bad as you think, because:
- several commented that a Rodgers/Adams connection seemed to be developing quicker than expected;
- those 3rd down connections that won't be there initially without Nelson, will be broken plays as Rodgers scrambles, and Cobb is majical on those.

Both good points. And very true about Cobb.

pbmax
08-23-2015, 09:30 PM
Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 2h2 hours ago
Discovered while calling around to see if #Packers might be reaching out to free-agent WRs: Kevin Dorsey (7th-round pick in '13) has retired

Packgator
08-23-2015, 09:32 PM
i think the question should be asked if he was brought back too soon?

having had the hip surgery, he missed the offseason, and a good part of training camp i believe.

part of me thinks the injury could have been caused by him not being 100% in playing shape yet

The Packers are usually careful about not bringing guys back to soon. But in this case I think it's possible.

ptisme
08-23-2015, 09:37 PM
This has to be the dumbest take on this I've seen yet... Jordy Nelson is outstanding but make no mistake: It's the presence of Aaron Rodgers that makes him outstanding. It's going to business as usual in Green Bay just like it was in 2010 when we lost Finley for the year. Opportunity opens things up for auxiliary players now.

King Friday
08-23-2015, 09:41 PM
I think Nelson is an elite WR. His stats can be replaced, but his go-to factor will be sorely missed.

Last 4 postseasons (6 games total)...highest yardage total in a game is 71 yards, and only 1 TD in 6 games.

Please explain to me how this kind of "go-to" factor will be sorely missed. Nelson's best moments often come against poor defenses. He's a very good WR...but he's hardly irreplaceable when your QB is Aaron Rodgers.

ptisme
08-23-2015, 09:49 PM

Wrong, more than one injury on the OLINE is what the Packers offense can't afford to lose. Devante Adams is a stud and may be better than Nelson by the end of the season. Montgomery and Janis are two talented young guns who will vie for number three...

ptisme
08-23-2015, 09:50 PM
Last 4 postseasons (6 games total)...highest yardage total in a game is 71 yards, and only 1 TD in 6 games.

Please explain to me how this kind of "go-to" factor will be sorely missed. Nelson's best moments often come against poor defenses. He's a very good WR...but he's hardly irreplaceable when your QB is Aaron Rodgers.
Exactly, this isn't Dez Bryant going down....

Packgator
08-23-2015, 10:11 PM

The chemistry between Rodgers and Nelson is something that's been developed over the years. And it's a thing of beauty. You don't replace that in a month or even a season. In the Packers offense, with no huddles, Rodgers just has to look at Jordy a certain way and Jordy knows just what Rodgers wants him to do. We see this many times each game. Over the course of a season (I believe) these seemingly insignificant plays add up to 2 or 3 extra wins. The thing to watch moving forward without Jordy will be to see if any of the young WR's can develop "some" of this same chemistry with Rodgers. Either way, the Packers are a better team with Nelson than without him. How many games (wins) better is the big question.

Bretsky
08-23-2015, 10:14 PM
This is BIG blow to our offense. Have to wonder now who steps up? I would expect Adams but Janis is more of a Jordy type receiver.

Janis route running sucks; I don't see a comparison yet

Janis = Bill Schroeder and has a lot to learn to get any better

Bretsky
08-23-2015, 10:15 PM
Jermichael FinleyVerified account
‏@JermichaelF88
With Nelson out. Let's see how good @AaronRodgers12 really is. #Packers

What a puke

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2015, 10:21 PM
What a puke
He claims he was misinterpreted, it was not meant sarcastically. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2015, 10:21 PM
Janis = Bill Schroeder and has a lot to learn to get any better
Pretty good comparison.

Bretsky
08-23-2015, 10:27 PM
ANY WAY we can get Charles Johnson back ?? He looks like a keeper in MN

Would be nice to have a weapon at TE now.....we need to get Backman back and run the ball with Eddie more now IMO

I look for Adams to emerge and Montgomery to contribute a lot more now. Janis doesn't look like a football player once he starts playing.

Too bad Abbrederis is probably done. At Wi he showed a lot of the skills (sharp route running/back shoulder catches/deceptive football speed) that we lose with Jordy. If he could stay healthy he's contribute this year.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2015, 10:28 PM
The chemistry between Rodgers and Nelson is something that's been developed over the years. And it's a thing of beauty. You don't replace that in a month or even a season.

Your posts on this topic have been very good.

The Packers are not going to "recover" in the sense that they will be as good as they were before the loss of Nelson. Of course other teams will suffer losses too.

The "Lacy would have been worse" chorus have a point - but not a big one. The dropoff from Nelson to whatever player comes on the field in two wide receiver sets - Adams? - is pretty far. Lacy to Starks is roughly similar.

My interest in the season is not diminished a bit. They will be a very good team.

Bretsky
08-23-2015, 10:30 PM
Pretty good comparison.

It really is; both receivers could only really run one route well. Neither had great football sense or ran good patterns. At this point Janis IMO needs to improve to get as good as Schroeder. White guys who can run fast.....everybody drools thinking they can be great. But eventually they have to learn to run routes or they fizzle out

wpony
08-23-2015, 10:36 PM
Where is all this doom and gloom coming from people it is ridicules :huh: will nelsons injury hurt us no doubt but hes just one player in a cog and we can survive it.
In fact i was looking at the archives and some of you doomsday predictors were the ones saying if he wanted over 10 to let him go because with all our new people and Cobb we were in fine shape with out him,we are deep in receivers lets hope they play as good as mm says they can.

One other thing if they do start missing him to much they will just change the game plan is all workable as long as a-rod does not got hurt that would be the end of the season for the packers for that yr. Flynn is gone not sure abut tolzien and the other teams would not be afraid of either and our offense would get killed.
With that being said get well soon nelson we all love you and support you 100 %

call_me_ishmael
08-24-2015, 12:40 AM
They will be fine. Send the white boy deep, or, if that isn't working out, the GOAT deep threat of all time is out there looking for work. He may not run a 4.2 anymore but I have no doubt he could get it up for a year and catch some bombs.

smuggler
08-24-2015, 01:22 AM
It is fated. Bring in Moss.

Pugger
08-24-2015, 01:58 AM
Your posts on this topic have been very good.

The Packers are not going to "recover" in the sense that they will be as good as they were before the loss of Nelson. Of course other teams will suffer losses too.

The "Lacy would have been worse" chorus have a point - but not a big one. The dropoff from Nelson to whatever player comes on the field in two wide receiver sets - Adams? - is pretty far. Lacy to Starks is roughly similar.

My interest in the season is not diminished a bit. They will be a very good team.

Starks is not as good as Lacy is by any stretch of the imagination.

Fritz
08-24-2015, 05:21 AM
What a puke

What do he supposed to say?

Joemailman
08-24-2015, 07:28 AM
Jermichael Finley ‏@JermichaelF88 17h17 hours ago
With Nelson out. Let's see how good @AaronRodgers12 really is. #Packers ��

Jermichael Finley ‏@JermichaelF88 15h15 hours ago
EVERYONE!! I worded poorly, meant to say, you'll now see how good @AaronRodgers12 is. Prayers to @JordyRNelson. R E L A X

I believe him.

Cheesehead Craig
08-24-2015, 08:49 AM
Saying we're doomed now is about as spot on as draft grades the day after they are done.

3irty1
08-24-2015, 09:09 AM
ANY WAY we can get Charles Johnson back ?? He looks like a keeper in MN

This. Johnson is an animal and the conditions under which he left the Packers is exhibit A in the incompetence case against our training staff.

Thank goodness for Adams but a 3rd high caliber receiving weapon would make a huge difference IMO. Last year when it was more or less a Jordy + Cobb show the offense would disappear at times. I expect we'll see some more of that inconsistency on O this season, especially when we face halfway decent secondaries.

Anything we can get out of Montgomery, Janis, White and/or others is huge.

pbmax
08-24-2015, 09:40 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3m3 minutes ago
Packers reportedly interested in Reggie Wayne, though that’s not how they usually roll http://wp.me/p14QSB-9PFp

Normally, this report is a spot on clue that the Packers are not interested.

yetisnowman
08-24-2015, 09:46 AM
So your argument is that TT did a bad job with the WR group? Like having the deepest WR in the entire NFL was a fuckup?

Seriously, I know Mad was upset once when I suggested certain people should refrain from posting because they are stupid but.....

I'm stupid you are cool. having depth and having a good starting lineup are 2 different things. Since Driver,Jennings,jones, all moved on WR depth has been an issue. You may have noticed Ted has drafted 4 in the last 2 drafts. I didn't say TT had done a bad job with the Wrs just that he made a mistake not bringing Jones back or adding another vet via free agency the last 2 years. We could have integrated more 4 wide sets, had a solid backup to our 3rd wr and (cough cough) had some flexibilty if a player missed some time with an injury. I said this summer and last summer. But twist my words and call me stupid. I am stupid but at least i know what depth means.

red
08-24-2015, 10:32 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3m3 minutes ago
Packers reportedly interested in Reggie Wayne, though that’s not how they usually roll http://wp.me/p14QSB-9PFp

Normally, this report is a spot on clue that the Packers are not interested.

Interesting

But he's taking a physical al today with the cheaters

hoosier
08-24-2015, 11:12 AM
I'm stupid you are cool. having depth and having a good starting lineup are 2 different things. Since Driver,Jennings,jones, all moved on WR depth has been an issue. You may have noticed Ted has drafted 4 in the last 2 drafts. I didn't say TT had done a bad job with the Wrs just that he made a mistake not bringing Jones back or adding another vet via free agency the last 2 years. We could have integrated more 4 wide sets, had a solid backup to our 3rd wr and (cough cough) had some flexibilty if a player missed some time with an injury. I said this summer and last summer. But twist my words and call me stupid. I am stupid but at least i know what depth means.

Bringing Jones back would have been expensive and might have prevented Adams from getting the necessary time last year so that he could be poised for a breakout season this year. It doesn't make sense to sign vets who can play (Jones) but who you hope not to play (because you want to develop Adams) based on the possibility that someone might get hurt. Those signings count against the cap, and when guys who can play are forced to sit they become malcontents. Right now it might make more sense for TT to go out and sign a veteran, assuming there is one out there whose treads aren't worn completely smooth.

sharpe1027
08-24-2015, 11:39 AM

To be fair, they did re-sign Jones after his rookie year. That gave themselves three extra years. They were not willing to bust the bank on him.

Reports suggested that they offered Jennings quite a bit to stay, but were again unwilling to bust the bank. He was just going to go to the highest bidder, and the Packers didn't rate him that high.

Hard to argue with either decision looking at their stellar (cough, cough) productions since leaving.

Fritz
08-24-2015, 11:41 AM
Bringing Jones back would have been expensive and might have prevented Adams from getting the necessary time last year so that he could be poised for a breakout season this year. It doesn't make sense to sign vets who can play (Jones) but who you hope not to play (because you want to develop Adams) based on the possibility that someone might get hurt. Those signings count against the cap, and when guys who can play are forced to sit they become malcontents. Right now it might make more sense for TT to go out and sign a veteran, assuming there is one out there whose treads aren't worn completely smooth.

Another issue in bringing a vet to GB, like Reggie Wayne or Randy Moss, is that of ST. Does anyone think either of them will play ST?

Packgator
08-24-2015, 12:01 PM

To appreciate how good Jordy is, you can't just look at his final stats for a season (or even a game). It's easy to look at a box score after a game when he has 8 catches, 130 yards, 2 TD's, and say he had a good game. But even the games (such as the ones you mentioned) when his stats are oridinary he is still very important to have on the field. Jordy is a rare "elete" WR who is a football player first and a WR second, and he does so many things that help the TEAM win.

I won't even try to list all of the things Jordy does that don't show in a box score. I don't even know what many of them are. But there are some that I do see every game. His "field awareness", such as the things he does around the first down marker and the pylon . He's very good (perhaps best in the league) at getting the ball on the pylon or just across the first down line. His quick first move up the field after a catch with his back to the defense (like the play he got hurt on yesterday). That quick up field move takes a one yard pass and ends up getting the 3 yards needed for a first down. He knows that play is called just to get a first down. His situational football knowledge (this ties in with the above examples) is superior. He is like having a second QB on the field. Rodgers is the smartest QB in the league and Nelson is the smartest WR. I've already mentioned the chemistry with Rodgers factor.

Most of Nelson's catches, yards, and TD's can be replaced. It's the other things that I'm concerned about. The big question now is how many wins is Jordy worth to the Packers over the course of a season when he plays vs when he doesn't play? If the answer is zero, then nothing has changed. If the answer is 1 or 2, the Packers can still make the playoffs and make a Super Bowl run. If the answer is 3 or more, things get tough and even the playoffs come into doubt.

One final thing. I'm certain the short list I provided above becomes much longer if we were able to talk with Rodgers on this subject.

red
08-24-2015, 12:25 PM
the biggest thing was that jordy could command a double team, opening up the rest of the field for the other guys

i don't think cobb or any of the others can command a double team

call_me_ishmael
08-24-2015, 12:29 PM
Hey... uh... Randy... uh... It's coach Mac!
https://vine.co/v/OipUYZDKqw1

sharpe1027
08-24-2015, 12:31 PM
the biggest thing was that jordy could command a double team, opening up the rest of the field for the other guys

Yeah, the threat of the big play is often as important as the big play itself.

pbmax
08-24-2015, 12:39 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 8m8 minutes ago
Report: Patriots sign Reggie Wayne http://wp.me/p14QSB-9PFX

Joemailman
08-24-2015, 12:44 PM

Teams will probably double-team Cobb more now. It will be up to the other receivers to make plays against single coverage. Adams and R.Rodgers need to step up. The Packers draft-and-develop strategy is in part to deal with situations like this. It will get a good test.

Bossman641
08-24-2015, 12:53 PM
Hey... uh... Randy... uh... It's coach Mac!
https://vine.co/v/OipUYZDKqw1

No thanks.

call_me_ishmael
08-24-2015, 01:04 PM
No thanks.

I have no doubt he still requires a double team on a deep route. Send him deep play after play - just save those legs for December.

He may not run a 4.2 anymore, but I bet he can still our best deep threat.

Carolina_Packer
08-24-2015, 01:41 PM
Another issue in bringing a vet to GB, like Reggie Wayne or Randy Moss, is that of ST. Does anyone think either of them will play ST?

This is a very good point. If an older vet is brought in, likely they wouldn't play ST, which means you have a reserve WR who is active on game day, but not going to play a ST role, which most reserve wide-outs do. Of course if someone like Moss can come in and be any kind of a threat, it might be worth it, but it's risky from a game day actives standpoint.

Carolina_Packer
08-24-2015, 02:33 PM
So, they missed on Reggie Wayne and Randy Moss may not be able to roll off the couch after 2 years away. If they wanted to fill this spot by free agency, who is out there that you'd want?

Not sure what happened to Mike Williams after he signed a good sized deal with Tampa Bay and then got traded to Buffalo, got hurt and then got released after he got healthy enough. He's at least got experience and is only 28. 6-1, 212 so he has good-size. Of course, any team could have signed him once Buffalo waived him last season, so there must be a story.

Wes Welker's name might come up. Is he healthy enough to dial-up one more year? He's going to run good routes. Might even play special teams, who knows!? He's 34, but I'm sure if he's waiting for that call that he's kept himself in shape.

Anyone else of interest?

pittstang5
08-24-2015, 02:49 PM
Anyone else of interest?

Read an article about possibly James Jones, but he's with the Giants. They'd have to release him. I guess it's a possibility if the Giants go younger.

Article:

http://nflspinzone.com/2015/08/24/green-bay-packers-do-could-possibly-reunite-with-james-jones/

sharpe1027
08-24-2015, 02:49 PM
Stick with the current guys in camp, but be sure to always wear headphones to drown on the whine that is sure to come from certain fans.

3irty1
08-24-2015, 02:56 PM
There are no couch free agents I'd rather on the roster than Myles White.

Rutnstrut
08-24-2015, 02:59 PM

If James Jones got cut by the Giants, I'd take him in a heartbeat over White.

Bossman641
08-24-2015, 03:02 PM
I have no doubt he still requires a double team on a deep route. Send him deep play after play - just save those legs for December.

He may not run a 4.2 anymore, but I bet he can still our best deep threat.

Even if he can run, which isn't a given, I don't think he'd be good for anything but fly routes. We need somebody who can at least run the full route tree.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2015, 03:07 PM

I agree. The street & practice squad guys are worse than Janis and White, fer sure.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2015, 03:14 PM
Teams will probably double-team Cobb more now. It will be up to the other receivers to make plays against single coverage. Adams and R.Rodgers need to step up. The Packers draft-and-develop strategy is in part to deal with situations like this. It will get a good test.

I doubt Cobb will draw double teams. Either Adams, Montgomery or even Janis will play the role of a playmaker. With playing time, one of those guys may surprise. I don't think the team really has a clear "#1 receiver" now, nobody with the combo of deep speed and route running talent. But they have three guys who are good enough for Rodgers. I don't mean to sell Cobb short, he is excellent, just not tall and fast enough to be the stud deep threat.

Carolina_Packer
08-24-2015, 03:32 PM
Even if he can run, which isn't a given, I don't think he'd be good for anything but fly routes. We need somebody who can at least run the full route tree.

He might be a good red zone threat. We'll see what the Packers decide. They don't often do what only helps in the short-term. It's possible Jones could perform well and latch on again, but if it's just for one year then which prospect (who they have any hope for) would you be OK seeing released to make room for Jones?

ThunderDan
08-24-2015, 03:34 PM
If James Jones got cut by the Giants, I'd take him in a heartbeat over White.

Why would the Giants cut him if he is that good? Just curious.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2015, 03:42 PM
which prospect (who they have any hope for) would you be OK seeing released to make room for Jones?

Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhn !

I've become a Kuhn troll only because somebody has to do it. During the game, I had him cut in favor of Alonzo Harris. The Kuhn Platoon was quick to point-out Harris's hands o' stone when he had a drop.
Kuhn has declined. He regularly caught around 15 balls per season in his career. Last year he had 4. So he's not a pass weapon anymore. I thought he looked pretty plodding last season.

I am really engaged in wishful thinking. I'm hoping that Harris, or one of those TEs, will manage to be an upgrade over Kuhn. Maybe they are not, I'm no scout.

call_me_ishmael
08-24-2015, 03:59 PM

I disagree, respectfully, of course.

Cobb is the quick-twitch guy who catches the short stuff and works the middle of the field. One could argue that Montgomery is very similar. Cobb could arguably be a deep threat too, but we haven't seen that to this point, thus there isn't any evidence.

Adams is a big posession guy who can battle in traffic but doesn't have deep speed.

Teams are gonna crowd the box if you don't have a deep threat. The Packers don't right now.

They need someone who can get deep and keep the middle of the field open for their playmakers to accumulate YAC. Moss is the perfect guy for that. Run that guy deep play after play.

I have my doubts that too many corners can cover him deep one-on-one even if he was 45-50. He is just too freaky.

sharpe1027
08-24-2015, 04:13 PM
Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhn !

I've become a Kuhn troll only because somebody has to do it. During the game, I had him cut in favor of Alonzo Harris. The Kuhn Platoon was quick to point-out Harris's hands o' stone when he had a drop.
Kuhn has declined. He regularly caught around 15 balls per season in his career. Last year he had 4. So he's not a pass weapon anymore. I thought he looked pretty plodding last season.

I am really engaged in wishful thinking. I'm hoping that Harris, or one of those TEs, will manage to be an upgrade over Kuhn. Maybe they are not, I'm no scout.

Yeah, they very well may keep more WRs now. Make some room elsewhere, but that weakness another area, making the loss of Jordy even more painful.

pbmax
08-24-2015, 04:21 PM
Packers have a press release that it was Nelson's right knee (not the one he landed on first) that has a "significant injury". Out for the year officially.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-press-release/article-1/Update-on-Packers-WR-Jordy-Nelson/54a77345-091d-49ac-bd20-75609d3acfbe

Tony Oday
08-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Next man up. We have a very deep WR Corp. Jordy was not the guy to take the top off the defense anyway. Lacy running for 1200 yards will open play action enough. Adams and Cobb will do just fine.

Joemailman
08-24-2015, 04:36 PM
Packers have a press release that it was Nelson's right knee (not the one he landed on first) that has a "significant injury". Out for the year officially.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-press-release/article-1/Update-on-Packers-WR-Jordy-Nelson/54a77345-091d-49ac-bd20-75609d3acfbe

Hard to believe watching the replay it's not his left knee. http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Packers-remain-hopeful-on-Nelsons-injury/c5c5d371-9c4f-4e87-883c-6de484949390

pbmax
08-24-2015, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I think the PR guys are busy taking selfies and have lost the ability to know left from right and the mirror effect.

Joemailman
08-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Why would the Giants cut him if he is that good? Just curious.

They won't. Jones had 5 catches for 83 yards Saturday. Victor Cruz and Reuben Randle have both been banged up. Right now Jones is listed on the depth chart as the backup to Cruz.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Idle speculation: could Jordy's offseason hip surgery be related to the china doll knee injury?

I wonder about that, because I see a lot of people who get hip replacement surgery develop knee problems. You change the body mechanics just a bit, and other areas are prone to overuse and strain. I wouldn't be surprised if Jordy was a bit out-of-kilter, he was down all spring.

Packgator
08-24-2015, 05:27 PM
Idle speculation: could Jordy's offseason hip surgery be related to the china doll knee injury?

I wonder about that, because I see a lot of people who get hip replacement surgery develop knee problems. You change the body mechanics just a bit, and other areas are prone to overuse and strain. I wouldn't be surprised if Jordy was a bit out-of-kilter, he was down all spring.

Red brought this up yesterday. Perhaps Jordy returned to live action to soon.

pbmax
08-24-2015, 05:34 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 3m3 minutes ago
Important details from @AdamSchefter on #Packers WR Jordy Nelson's knee injury: Nelson tore his ACL but MRI showed other ligaments intact.

smuggler
08-24-2015, 05:53 PM
Should be set to go for 2016. Could have been cartilage and/or a microfracture, so it's a slilver lining...

King Friday
08-24-2015, 05:56 PM
To appreciate how good Jordy is, you can't just look at his final stats for a season (or even a game). It's easy to look at a box score after a game when he has 8 catches, 130 yards, 2 TD's, and say he had a good game. But even the games (such as the ones you mentioned) when his stats are oridinary he is still very important to have on the field. Jordy is a rare "elete" WR who is a football player first and a WR second, and he does so many things that help the TEAM win.

I understand everything you are saying. He's a very good receiver and we won't replace everything he brings to the table.

However, to think that this offense is going to fall off significantly as long as Rodgers is 100% healthy is lunacy. QBs like Brady and Wilson have done extremely well without a wealth of talent around them at the skill positions. Nelson IS replaceable...not with one WR, but as a team. Cobb steps it up, Adams steps it up, Lacy steps it up, the defense steps it up, etc.

The fact is that Green Bay went through this exact same scenario 19 years ago. The Packers lost Robert Brooks early in the year...coming off a monster breakout season that was equivalent to any that Sharpe had put up in the years before (almost 1500 yards and 13 TDs)...and after him they had very little PROVEN talent on paper at receiver. Freeman was 24 years old and only had 8 career receptions to his name. Don Beebe was 32 and well past his prime. Derrick Mayes was a rookie. The current trio of Cobb/Adams/Montgomery appear to be SIGNIFICANTLY better than what Green Bay had to work with in 1996.

Still, Green Bay wound up being the NUMBER ONE OFFENSE IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE in 1996.

How the hell did that happen? They lost a "go-to" receiver that had "field awareness" and got the ball to the pylon and all that jazz. It had to be CRIPPLING!!!!!!

Oh wait. You say that Green Bay had a guy wearing a #4 on his jersey. Um...yeah.

Oh wait. You say that Green Bay has a guy wearing a #12 on his jersey this year. Um...yeah.

That's ALL that matters. Rodgers at 100% for the full year gives Green Bay as much a chance at a title as anyone else in the league...no matter who the guys lining up at WR happen to be. Favre proved it in 1996. Rodgers will prove it again in 2015.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2015, 06:46 PM
However, to think that this offense is going to fall off significantly as long as Rodgers is 100% healthy is lunacy. QBs like Brady and Wilson have done extremely well without a wealth of talent around them at the skill positions. Nelson IS replaceable...not with one WR, but as a team. Cobb steps it up, Adams steps it up, Lacy steps it up, the defense steps it up, etc.
I don't agree with you, Nelson brought extra punch to passing game, there is a loss in production. He was the clear number one WR, every team would be degraded from that loss.

I was going to shut you up with Nelson's giant salary, but I guess his cap number is not staggering.

Aaron Rodgers $18,250,000
Clay Matthews $12,700,000
Julius Peppers $12,000,000
Sam Shields $9,062,500
Josh Sitton $7,000,000
TJ Lang $5,800,000
Randall Cobb $5,350,000
Morgan Burnett $5,131,250
Jordy Nelson $4,600,000
Mike Neal $4,250,000
Bryan Bulaga $3,568,750
Mason Crosby $3,550,000
Letroy Guion $2,750,000
Sean Richardson $2,350,000
Nick Perry $2,386,125
Datone Jones $2,104,527
HaHa Clinton-Dix $1,895,114
James Starks $1,837,500
Andrew Quarless $1,750,000
BJ Raji $1,750,000
Mike Daniels $1,617,146
Don Barclay $1,542,000
Damarus Randall $1,439,223
Tim Masthay $1,340,000
Scott Tolzien $1,200,000
Casey Hayward $1,053,154

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Woe! Lacy ain't even a million dollar man. Those first contracts stink.

Datone Jones is overpaid by that standard.

red
08-24-2015, 07:20 PM
well its official, jordy is done for the year

but how tough is that mofo?

how many guys do you see down on the field forever with that injury, only to be carted to the locker room

jordy didn't even do down, ran off the field, and walked to the locker room on his own, with no limp what so ever

hoosier
08-24-2015, 07:59 PM
The one thing Nelson gave them that nobody else can supply is the combination of speed, strength and route running ability that made him a great deep threat. How many 50+ yard TDs did Nelson have last year? I think it was one for each of the regular season home game wins, so eight in all. This year the Packers should be happy if they get two of those out of their receivers. Nelson won't be replaced by someone who does what he does but not quite as well. The key will be finding guys who can help sustain drives and improving red zone efficiency.

red
08-24-2015, 08:04 PM
word is a james jones may not make the giants final roster

he might know the system

King Friday
08-24-2015, 08:06 PM
word is a james jones may not make the giants final roster

he might know the system

We don't need 5 guys who only operate within 8 yards of the LOS.

Joemailman
08-24-2015, 08:27 PM

James Jones, although not fast, was surprisingly good at getting open downfield. Jones' YPC of 14 with the Packers is pretty respectable. I'm not usually in favor of picking up veterans at this point of the season, but I wouldn't mind getting him if he were available. His YPC last year dropped to 9, but I suspect that had more to do with the team he was on.

red
08-24-2015, 08:34 PM

and you think andre johnson, reggie wayne or randy moss can get their old geriatric asses more the 8 yards down the field?

ptisme
08-24-2015, 08:37 PM
I don't think so.... I didn't see any knee instability in that move that could have caused the ACL tear.... Freak bad luck IMO....

smuggler
08-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Janis is the best deep threat option, even if he's green. I'd rather have a Jordy, but a Janis is fine, too.

King Friday
08-24-2015, 08:47 PM
and you think andre johnson, reggie wayne or randy moss can get their old geriatric asses more the 8 yards down the field?

No. I'm content with riding the horses we have...same as Ted.

Rastak
08-24-2015, 08:52 PM

how many guys do you see down on the field forever with that injury, only to be carted to the locker room

jordy didn't even do down, ran off the field, and walked to the locker room on his own, with no limp what so ever

There's been a couple of guys that stayed in the game and played with a torn ACL. Not recommended of course.

I'm guessing since it was just his ACL he had a little bit of stability. When Culpepper shredded three of the four ligaments in his knee it was swinging like a loose gate.

Bretsky
08-24-2015, 09:18 PM
WHICH WR will step up ? It was a pipe dream to sign a veteran like Reggie Wayne .....that had Hoody written all over it...a rent a year guy who he could coach up. But that is Anti TT

You know FULL WELL TT is scouring each roster ready to swap a guy off waviers we have never heard of to develop.

I just want Charles Johnson Back...DUMB ASSES..........

MadScientist
08-24-2015, 09:42 PM

There's been a couple of guys that stayed in the game and played with a torn ACL. Not recommended of course.

I'm guessing since it was just his ACL he had a little bit of stability. When Culpepper shredded three of the four ligaments in his knee it was swinging like a loose gate.

If there is a partial tear of the ACL, it it is painful and and the player can't continue. A complete tear doesn't hurt as much and players sometimes continue without realizing it. Several years ago the Packers had a RB who tore his ACL in a pre season game and continued for the rest of the half, including having a long TD run. Yovani Gallardo pitched several innings for the Brewers in 07 after tearing his ACL.

Hopefully Jordy can come back and put up decent numbers next year, but some of his long speed may be gone for good.

Joemailman
08-24-2015, 10:12 PM
Bulaga finished the Family Night scrimmage after tearing his ACL a couple of years ago. When Burnett tore his in 2010, he told the trainers his knee "felt funny", but he wasn't in pain. Charles Johnson tore his a couple of years ago but apparently didn't tell anybody about it. If he had, they could have protected him by putting him on IR.

Packgator
08-24-2015, 10:54 PM
I understand everything you are saying. He's a very good receiver and we won't replace everything he brings to the table.

That's ALL that matters. Rodgers at 100% for the full year gives Green Bay as much a chance at a title as anyone else in the league...no matter who the guys lining up at WR happen to be.

I'm not saying that the offense is going to fall off significantly. With Rodgers at QB the Packers will likely continue to put up big numbers. Rodgers is the best QB in the league and will continue to play like it. What I am saying is, even if one guy steps in for Nelson and matches his totals (catches, yards, and TD's) from last year, the Packers still won't be as good as they would be if Nelson were playing. Simply replacing the catches, yards, and TD's won't fully substitute what Jordy brings to the offense.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2015, 10:55 PM
You don't absolutely NEED an ACL - Nelson jogged off the field. Fucker should rub some dirt in it and get back out there.

I'm reminded of Bill Curry's story:

When I arrived in Green Bay to work for Lombardi, I quickly learned what the culture demanded. The second week I had a slight hamstring pull and went to the trainer for therapy. As I lay on the training room table, superstar Paul Hornung walked over. He was one of the few veterans that was nice to rookies. He asked, "Whatcha got, kid?" I replied that my hamstring was pulled. He glanced around, leaned over in a conspiratorial manner, and said softly, "The old man doesn't believe in hamstrings."

I stood, walked out of the training room and never returned while in Green Bay. Never.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=curry_bill&id=2622535

smuggler
08-24-2015, 11:03 PM
Trouble in playing on a knee that has no ACL: 1. more likely to injure the other ligaments or have a nasty injury, 2. basically shredding your cartilage with every jerky move.

The way the cartilages articulate is quite specific. Imagine chewing while shifting your lower jaw all around - it wouldn't be long before you wore your teeth down from all the unintended surfaces opposing each other. Same with the knee - ruin your cartilage by introducing all that movement...

pbmax
08-25-2015, 12:29 AM
Whenever Bill Curry talks about Lombardi, it always sounds like a hostage talking about his ordeal. I don't think he ever got over it in his own head.

Patler
08-25-2015, 03:08 AM

I think he did have the right combination last year, three experienced veterans, a high draft pick rookie and another intriguing rookie. It ended up looking worse, because inexplicably, after a very solid 2013, Jarrett Boykin absolutely disappeared in 2014. There are only a limited number of roster spots available. You can't field all experienced vets on game day and incorporate the necessary cycling of fresh faces, too. Three vets, a high draft pick and a wildcard at #5 seems right.

This year should have been the same; two outstanding starters, last year's high draft pick, another high draft pick from this year, and a 5th WR. Losing Nelson early hurts because it comes before Adams proves he is what he seems, before Montgomery gets up to speed, and before the wild card 5ths sort themselves out. Losing Nelson now helps, because they have time to adapt and look for help elsewhere if they need to.

Patler
08-25-2015, 03:52 AM

Meh.... I know a kid who played an entire hockey season as a goalie after tearing his ACL in soccer. The kid even finished the soccer game in which he tore his ACL.

Pugger
08-25-2015, 07:07 AM
I'm not saying that the offense is going to fall off significantly. With Rodgers at QB the Packers will likely continue to put up big numbers. Rodgers is the best QB in the league and will continue to play like it. What I am saying is, even if one guy steps in for Nelson and matches his totals (catches, yards, and TD's) from last year, the Packers still won't be as good as they would be if Nelson were playing. Simply replacing the catches, yards, and TD's won't fully substitute what Jordy brings to the offense.

No, but with our depth we can soften the blow of losing a player of Jordy's abilities by spreading the ball around so defenses can't just concentrate on Cobb.

Patler
08-25-2015, 08:29 AM
Yup. They don't have anyone to replace Nelson, but they do have other capable receivers. The task is to discover how to best use what those receivers are good at, not to try to make one of them into Jordy Nelson.

Patler
08-25-2015, 10:13 AM

I wonder about that, because I see a lot of people who get hip replacement surgery develop knee problems. You change the body mechanics just a bit, and other areas are prone to overuse and strain. I wouldn't be surprised if Jordy was a bit out-of-kilter, he was down all spring.Red brought this up yesterday. Perhaps Jordy returned to live action to soon.

Nah, it was God's will that Nelson was injured.
A Detroit Lion has told us so:

Division rival Glover Quin of the Detroit Lions said that he was disappointed that Nelson got hurt, but believes that God meant for the injury to happen regardless of whether Nelson was playing in a preseason or regular season game. According to Quin, Nelson would have been hurt in the Packers’ next game had he not played Sunday.

Via the Detroit Free Press:

“I hated Jordy got hurt, but my beliefs and the way that I believe, it was God had meant for Jordy to get hurt. So if he wouldn’t have got hurt today, if he wouldn’t have played in that game, if he wouldn’t have practiced anymore and, the next time he would have walked on the field would have been opening day, I feel like he would have got hurt opening day.”

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/lions-safety-god-meant-for-jordy-nelson-to-get-hurt

pbmax
08-25-2015, 10:20 AM
So God is an ambush waiting to happen. Interesting take on predestination.

pbmax
08-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Here is another take on predestination. Packer writers, jealous of Badger success, are actively sabotaging Magical Abracadabra.

JS Comments ‏@JSComments 1h1 hour ago
Are the Packers beat writers jealous of the Badgers success that they're actively bad mouthing Abby's chances?!?

Patler
08-25-2015, 11:27 AM
So God is an ambush waiting to happen. Interesting take on predestination.

Sure is, but for an athlete worrying about experiencing significant injuries, it might be comforting.

Patler
08-25-2015, 11:31 AM
Here is another take on predestination. Packer writers, jealous of Badger success, are actively sabotaging Magical Abracadabra.

JS Comments ‏@JSComments 1h1 hour ago
Are the Packers beat writers jealous of the Badgers success that they're actively bad mouthing Abby's chances?!?

Why would Packer beat writers be jealous of Badgers success?
Am I missing something in this?

How can you not bad mouth his chances? In two training camps he has what, about 4 days of practice? That's even less than Clay Matthews!

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2015, 11:40 AM
Looking at past seasons, they will probably lose another WR for a significant portion of season. Take Cobb or Adams out of mix - shiver.

Nelson was the clear #1 guy, losing this has weakened the overall strength of the WR unit for the season. It's a competitive league, even winning NFC North is more challenging now.

Lions lost Calvin Johnson for a large portion of last year, and their passing game still seemed to hum along OK. I'd say losing Jordy is similar blow - he's not quite as good as Johnson, but impact on offense will be similar.

I wish we had Nelson's acrobatics to entertain us, but maybe Janis or somebody else will come through with some excitement. Dance, boy, dance!

3irty1
08-25-2015, 11:40 AM

How can you not bad mouth his chances? In two training camps he has what, about 4 days of practice? That's even less than Clay Matthews!

JSComments is a twitter account that exists just to share the most outrageous and delusional comments from jsonline for their comedic value.

KYPack
08-25-2015, 11:44 AM
I think he did have the right combination last year, three experienced veterans, a high draft pick rookie and another intriguing rookie. It ended up looking worse, because inexplicably, after a very solid 2013, Jarrett Boykin absolutely disappeared in 2014. There are only a limited number of roster spots available. You can't field all experienced vets on game day and incorporate the necessary cycling of fresh faces, too. Three vets, a high draft pick and a wildcard at #5 seems right.

This year should have been the same; two outstanding starters, last year's high draft pick, another high draft pick from this year, and a 5th WR. Losing Nelson early hurts because it comes before Adams proves he is what he seems, before Montgomery gets up to speed, and before the wild card 5ths sort themselves out. Losing Nelson now helps, because they have time to adapt and look for help elsewhere if they need to.

Boykin still has me shaking my head. He went from 49 catches and 3 TD's to 3 rec and 0 TD's. Plus, he stunk up the joint on ST's with several bonehead plays. The guy really flashed in '13. He showed that he was a guy that could be trusted and ARod seemed to like him in some key situations. I never heard why he fell off the cliff. Guess we'll never know, he's getting his mail in Charlotte NC now.

Patler
08-25-2015, 12:12 PM
Boykin still has me shaking my head. He went from 49 catches and 3 TD's to 3 rec and 0 TD's. Plus, he stunk up the joint on ST's with several bonehead plays. The guy really flashed in '13. He showed that he was a guy that could be trusted and ARod seemed to like him in some key situations. I never heard why he fell off the cliff. Guess we'll never know, he's getting his mail in Charlotte NC now.

Agreed. This time last year I was wondering if Adams would be able to work himself into much playing time or not as a rookie. I have absolutely no info about Boykin, but so often when an athlete does fall off a cliff like that, it is due to some personal demon that grabs hold of him. Boykin had been a big effort guy before last year, when even effort on ST was lacking at times. I wouldn't mind seeing him get back on track.

pbmax
08-25-2015, 12:19 PM

3irty1 described the Twitter account, but not the logic of the reported JSO comment. Lot's of local types who are also Badger fans are very poor at math. They assume that Badgers players, from a Division 1 program (with above average success) must be NFL worthy. This has led to confusion over Kevin Stemke, Ron Dayne, Montee Ball, Bill Ferrario, Mike Taylor, and any number of very good Badger players who struggled at the Pro level.

Badger fans want the Badgers players to be as successful (if less numerous) as Ohio State, LSU, Alabama and USC players in the pros.

So the consistent disappointment (failure of math to recognize how many drafted players actually succeed) launches conspiracy theories. Ted doesn't like the Badger program because he is driven by ego to prove himself beyond it. And writers are too quickly writing off players who clearly will succeed as soon as they are healthy.

Infamous to me, is Mike Lucas, Badger broadcaster and former columnist. He was incredulous that Mr. Stemke could be such a stud for the Badgers and be so miserable in the pros. He reached immediately for the coaching aspect, that someone must have screwed the kid up. Never did he reckon with the different ball or the preparation Stemke did prior to his first camp. And you must be kidding yourself if the idea that NFL kickers must prove themselves over a couple of years bouncing around between camps ever occurred to him.

Patler
08-25-2015, 12:54 PM
Looking at past seasons, they will probably lose another WR for a significant portion of season. Take Cobb or Adams out of mix - shiver.

Nelson was the clear #1 guy, losing this has weakened the overall strength of the WR unit for the season. It's a competitive league, even winning NFC North is more challenging now.

Lions lost Calvin Johnson for a large portion of last year, and their passing game still seemed to hum along OK. I'd say losing Jordy is similar blow - he's not quite as good as Johnson, but impact on offense will be similar.

Unfortunately, odds are that you are correct about losing another WR for at least a portion of the season. That's not a knock against the specifi receivers, it has been that way since the '90s.

I think losing Nelson won't be nearly as significant for the Packers as losing Johnson was for Detroit. Nelson is very good indeed, but not the dominating receiver that Johnson has been. The Packer offence is better balanced than Detroit and deeper at WR. Last but not least, GB has Rodgers and Detroit doesn't.

Patler
08-25-2015, 12:59 PM
JSComments is a twitter account that exists just to share the most outrageous and delusional comments from jsonline for their comedic value.

3irty1 described the Twitter account, but not the logic of the reported JSO comment. Lot's of local types who are also Badger fans are very poor at math. They assume that Badgers players, from a Division 1 program (with above average success) must be NFL worthy. This has led to confusion over Kevin Stemke, Ron Dayne, Montee Ball, Bill Ferrario, Mike Taylor, and any number of very good Badger players who struggled at the Pro level.

Badger fans want the Badgers players to be as successful (if less numerous) as Ohio State, LSU, Alabama and USC players in the pros.

So the consistent disappointment (failure of math to recognize how many drafted players actually succeed) launches conspiracy theories. Ted doesn't like the Badger program because he is driven by ego to prove himself beyond it. And writers are too quickly writing off players who clearly will succeed as soon as they are healthy.

Infamous to me, is Mike Lucas, Badger broadcaster and former columnist. He was incredulous that Mr. Stemke could be such a stud for the Badgers and be so miserable in the pros. He reached immediately for the coaching aspect, that someone must have screwed the kid up. Never did he reckon with the different ball or the preparation Stemke did prior to his first camp. And you must be kidding yourself if the idea that NFL kickers must prove themselves over a couple of years bouncing around between camps ever occurred to him.

Got it. So Badger failures at the NFL are caused by someone or something else, apparently even bad mouthing by writers!

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2015, 01:06 PM
I'd say the operative word is "uncertainty."

Can Cobb and Adams be studs with Jordy off the field? Maybe.
Will DickRod really be a signficant receiving threat? maybe.
Are Montgomery, Janis or White contributors when they have to play a lot, perhaps as #2? maybe

Packers still are Super Bowl contenders. Uncertainty is way up.

BTW, I do think Cobb and Adams have to be very talented, not just good. Rodgers needs people to throw to - we've seen games where he has nobody open and the O sputters.

Tony Oday
08-25-2015, 01:24 PM
AR will turn RR and DA into studs.

Bossman641
08-25-2015, 05:02 PM
I shudder to think what the offense will look like if Cobb and/or Adams misses significant time. If they stay mostly healthy I think we'll be OK. For as much potential as Adams flashed last year he was still mostly a bit player. Adams can't replace Nelson, but the combination of DickRod+Adams should be suitable.

King Friday
08-25-2015, 05:04 PM
I shudder to think what the offense will look like if Cobb and/or Adams misses significant time.

AGAIN...

Go throw in some tape from the 1996 Packers.

If Aaron Rodgers is healthy, IT DOESN'T MATTER.

pbmax
08-25-2015, 06:02 PM
He confirms it was a right knee ACL, not the landing leg. Even Jordy was surprised because he thought he must have done it when landing.

Hip surgery was on the left.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/322868181.html

Bossman641
08-25-2015, 06:06 PM
AGAIN...

Well that offense was also backed by the best D and special teams in the league.

MadScientist
08-25-2015, 06:15 PM
AGAIN...

In 96, two of their losses came when both Brooks and Freeman were out. They even looked bad in their win against the lowly Rams. When Free came back and they picked up Rison, the offense got better. This offense will sputter of Cobb or Adams goes out.

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2015, 06:57 PM
AGAIN...

Every team is different. They had Chewy & Keith "woah Nellie!" Jackson as solid receiving threats at TE. Andre Rison was magically available to sign mid-season. Their defense was the best in Packer memory.

Degrading the receiver corps certainly matters. The rest of the team has to be that much stronger to compensate. Rodgers or Favre or Starr can not succeed if targets are covered; we've seen games where Rodgers has been stymied by well-jammed and covered receivers.

Freak Out
08-25-2015, 07:35 PM
What happened to bringing in Reggie Wayne? I go out of cell range for a few days and the guy is in New England.

smuggler
08-25-2015, 09:22 PM
Unfortunately, he was pretty much signing his contract as Nelson went down. If his agent had pumped the brakes to sniff out interest from the Packers, it might have screwed Reggie out of the Patriots deal ($500k signing bonus). Can hardly blame him.

Joemailman
08-25-2015, 09:28 PM
Jordy on how he hurt the knee:

"It was when I landed. Originally I thought I landed right leg first, but obviously watching it, it was left leg and then right leg, which even is more baffling to me why it happened. So, yeah, it's one of those things.

On whether the hip surgery had anything to do with it:

"Absolutely not. I had surgery on my left hip, this is my right knee. I don’t think it had anything to do with it. We did a great job rehabbing. Haven’t had any issue through the whole process, whether it’s doing rehab, doing the OTAs, camp, playing in two games. I felt great.

Pugger
08-26-2015, 07:01 AM
He confirms it was a right knee ACL, not the landing leg. Even Jordy was surprised because he thought he must have done it when landing.

Hip surgery was on the left.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/322868181.html

I wonder if he had been unconsciously favoring his right side after the surgery and was putting extra weight and pressure on that leg?

sharpe1027
08-26-2015, 08:05 AM
I wonder if he had been unconsciously favoring his right side after the surgery and was putting extra weight and pressure on that leg?

Well, he landed on the other one first, so it wasn't exactly favoring it. If he had more of a chronic type problem from favoring one leg it would make more sense to me.

George Cumby
08-26-2015, 10:19 AM

Quite possibly. The best predictor of injury is a pre-existing injury. The injury to one leg could very well lead to an asymmetry of some type which contributed to the new injury. Saying the old injury didn't contribute to the new injury because it was on the opposite leg is facile. There is a growing body of evidence that suggests many knee injuries are directly tied to issues in the hip, whether it's inadequate mobility, alignment, excessive mobility, strength deficits or what have you.

sharpe1027
08-26-2015, 11:55 AM
Quite possibly. The best predictor of injury is a pre-existing injury. The injury to one leg could very well lead to an asymmetry of some type which contributed to the new injury. Saying the old injury didn't contribute to the new injury because it was on the opposite leg is facile. There is a growing body of evidence that suggests many knee injuries are directly tied to issues in the hip, whether it's inadequate mobility, alignment, excessive mobility, strength deficits or what have you.

What type of knee injuries? It would seem to make a big difference if they are repetitive vs. single-incident. In any event, this did not appear to be situation of favoring, per the original post. The other factors you mentioned are impossible to rule out (or prove to be the cause). I think the evidence you are referring to is primarily statistics. Thus, there is correlation with what is likely a small increase in frequency of injuries.

Did it matter here? Probably not, but maybe. :glug:

smuggler
08-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Wow. His right knee? From the replay, it appears he injured his left while falling, but I guess the fall was the result of the injury, rather than visa versa.

Pugger
08-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Well, he landed on the other one first, so it wasn't exactly favoring it. If he had more of a chronic type problem from favoring one leg it would make more sense to me.

I'm not speaking about that particular play but Jordy could have been favoring his left side since he got cleared to practice again putting more weight and pressure on his right leg. :huh:

sharpe1027
08-26-2015, 12:20 PM
I'm not speaking about that particular play but Jordy could have been favoring his left side since he got cleared to practice again putting more weight and pressure on his right leg. :huh:

OK, but what does that have to do with tearing his ACL on that particular play?

Pugger
08-27-2015, 07:26 AM
OK, but what does that have to do with tearing his ACL on that particular play?

I was just speculating that putting more pressure on his right side all these weeks contributed to tearing it. I'm not in the medical field so I could be completely wrong here. :huh:

smuggler
08-27-2015, 08:45 AM
I think it was just a fluke. It's not a very strong ligament and can go at any time, really, if your knee gets compromised.

sharpe1027
08-27-2015, 09:08 AM
I was just speculating that putting more pressure on his right side all these weeks contributed to tearing it. I'm not in the medical field so I could be completely wrong here. :huh:

It is possible, there are a lot of things that could have contributed. The extra ketchup he put on his hamburger before the game might also have contributed. ;-)

My view is since the amount of pressure exerted in that particular play was enough to tear his ACL, it was going to tear no matter what.

Pugger
08-27-2015, 09:52 AM
It is possible, there are a lot of things that could have contributed. The extra ketchup he put on his hamburger before the game might also have contributed. ;-)

My view is since the amount of pressure exerted in that particular play was enough to tear his ACL, it was going to tear no matter what.

You're prob right. Could wearing a knee brace - not the kind like O linemen wear - help prevent these types of injuries?

sharpe1027
08-27-2015, 11:16 AM
You're prob right. Could wearing a knee brace - not the kind like O linemen wear - help prevent these types of injuries?

Maybe, but there is some evidence suggesting that braces are not very effective and can even increase the chances of certain types of injuries. It is a difficult area to really get good data.

At best, prophylactic knee braces offer limited resistance to lateral knee impact and provide little meaningful rotational stress protection. At worst, they may generate increased forces that augment associated injuries to the medial knee.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0115/p411.html

Packgator
11-27-2015, 11:23 AM
What can't be replaced is the chemistry that Rodgers has with Nelson. That chemistry is so important in the type of fast offense the Packers run. Where we'll notice a drop off is the success rate of the crucial, must have type plays (3rd down conversions, etc.) that Rodgers would go to Nelson with. Over the course of a season these plays add up and are the difference in 3 or 4 wins (or losses). That could take an 11 win team down to 8 wins.

The Packers struggles all lead back to the Nelson injury. Other than Rodgers, the one guy this team could not afford to lose is Jordy. If Jordy is playing, the Packers win the Lions and Bears games, and are now sitting at 9-2. Go back and re-read this thread to see discussion on how losing Jordy was potentially devastating. Often, we don't realize what we have until it's gone. I just hope Jordy is able to come back next year as the same player he was before the injury.

red
11-27-2015, 11:28 AM
the rest of the team is proving that jordy is vastly underpaid

Guiness
11-27-2015, 11:59 AM

I was thinking the Packer's season is turning into a long commercial for why Jordy should get a raise.

Dammit, agreeing with red. First my gf starts sounding like him in the game thread, now this!

denverYooper
11-27-2015, 12:34 PM
I was thinking the Packer's season is turning into a long commercial for why Jordy should get a raise.

Dammit, agreeing with red. First my gf starts sounding like him in the game thread, now this!

They can just transfer some of Cobb's salary. It's looking like Jordy basically doubled Cobb's payday, so maybe 2 mil per year would seem fair.

Packgator
12-03-2015, 08:24 PM

Jordy on the field makes everyone better.

Smidgeon
12-03-2015, 08:42 PM
Jordy on the field makes everyone better.

Years ago, I did a WR analysis on this forum, and the days showed that Jody just being on the field better the offense andirons yards per play.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but my prognosticating looks good this year.

red
12-03-2015, 08:46 PM
MVP MVP

Smidgeon
12-04-2015, 01:25 AM
Years ago, I did a WR analysis on this forum, and the days showed that Jordy just being on the field betters the offense's average yards per play.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but my prognosticating looks good this year.

Posting on mobile sucks.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?24198-WR-Stats-Last-four-years&p=675510&viewfull=1#post675510