PDA

View Full Version : Jordy Replacement

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2015, 01:40 PM
What player will handle the largest load as outside receiver in the offense? The primary deep threat. I think Adams lacks the speed, he is more of a possession receiver. Cobb is small and best suited to slot. It is between Janis and Montgomery. Janis could earn his way to job, he has attributes, but I doubt anybody will predict it.

I know it will be a "group effort" to replace Jordy. Blah, blah, blah. But some wideout will be the most productive on medium/deep balls.

Joemailman
08-26-2015, 04:01 PM
I think it will be Adams. Cobb, Adams and Montgomery all have similar speed, but Adams' athleticism will make him the top threat. Janis is the fastest, but won't be on the field enough to be the top threat.

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2015, 04:12 PM
I went with Montgomery only because coaches are giving him snaps with #1s this week, so I suspect he has football speed. Otherwise Adams is the obvious guy to promote. It is a little unlikely that a rookie becomes go-to guy at WR, but maybe this is exception to rule. Janis will get time on the field - somebody will surely be hurt for some games. I think he is a dark horse, he may get promoted just for desperate need for his speed.

MadScientist
08-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Charles Johnson. Oh wait, they fucked up and the Vikings got him for nothing.

If anything Cobb's production will be down this year as coverages roll towards him. Adams will be the big gainer. Janis should be with his combination of size and speed, but he doesn't run routes or catch the ball well enough.

Montgomery will have rookie pains, but might contribute at the level Adams did last year. Lacy and Starks should see big gains in attempts this year, if the line lives up to it's hype and doesn't turn out Campen-tastic to start the season again.

SkinBasket
08-26-2015, 04:16 PM
You would think Charles Johnson was Jesus right now. Let it go.

sharpe1027
08-26-2015, 04:58 PM
No love for White or Abbracadabra?

pbmax
08-26-2015, 05:06 PM
Adams, and I hope he doesn't fall down the same manhole that Boykin did in Year 2.

Monty will assist in the middle of the field and really might reduce the need for a TE to threaten the safeties.

Janis would be a deep threat, but not sure how reliable he is yet. White is fine, but there is nothing special there. That's not a knock though, because if being fine at your job is the worst you can say about your backup's backup, you might survive.

3irty1
08-26-2015, 06:24 PM
I think smart money is on Adams. He'll be a boundary receiver for Aaron Rodgers which comes with lots of deep outs and back shoulder throws which is great for setting up double moves a la Jordy. Also even though he's not that fast his best route is still probably the fade he ran all the time at Fresno. He's great against press coverage, makes a lot of space with his body, gets separation out of his cuts, tracks it well over his shoulder, and plays the ball high. That's all it takes if your QB does his part.

Bossman641
08-26-2015, 06:25 PM
It has to be Adams. Cobb said one of his goals was to become a more all around receiver, but there's no need to move him from his best position. He's the top slot WR in the league. Not to mention it's hardest for the defense to key in on him from the slot. Janis is still too raw and Montgomery is a rookie.

smuggler
08-26-2015, 07:16 PM
To start the year, Adams. By year's end, hopefully, Janis. I'm going to stay positive.

Bretsky
08-26-2015, 10:26 PM
Has to be Adams

I just want Janis to learn to run 3 routes well so he becomes better than Bill Schoreder

HarveyWallbangers
08-26-2015, 11:16 PM
Has to be Adams

I just want Janis to learn to run 3 routes well so he becomes better than Bill Schoreder

Having a guy like Bill Schroeder as our 5th (and now 4th) WR would actually be damn good. I know people got frustrated with Schroeder, but the dude had nearly 3000 yards in 18 TDs over a three year span in an era that wasn't quite as prolific throwing the ball. If Janis ever had a three year stretch in his career in which he had 918, 999, and 1051 receiving yards, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Patler
08-26-2015, 11:20 PM
Jordy who?

Pugger
08-27-2015, 07:21 AM
No love for White or Abbracadabra?

White has the speed so he'll most likely be a backup. Lord knows what they'll do with Abby. They must be holding out hope because otherwise one would think he would have been cut after an injury settlement by now. :cnf:

Patler
08-27-2015, 07:43 AM
Lord knows what they'll do with Abby. They must be holding out hope because otherwise one would think he would have been cut after an injury settlement by now. :cnf:

No need to cut him yet, since they have open roster spots anyway. If he is medically cleared before final cutdown, they can release him at no cost. An injury settlement now would be more complicated, and likely involve at least some compromise for a few weeks of salary.

ThunderDan
08-27-2015, 08:09 AM
It is going to be Kuhn.

I think we will see a lot more 3WR 2RB sets now that Jordy is done.

Freak Out
08-27-2015, 08:50 AM
It is going to be Kuhn.

Maybe not Kuhn but throwing to the RBs is not a bad idea.

pbmax
08-27-2015, 09:02 AM
Maybe not Kuhn but throwing to the RBs is not a bad idea.

If Harris only had hands. He is nothing special but he knows how to read screen blocks and unlike Starks, seemed to know how to triangulate being open to the QB and be in a position to take advantage of the blocks.

Then again, maybe its Rodgers who is great at the retreat and timing of screen throws either. They have never run them like M1,2 or Andy Reid.

Pugger
08-27-2015, 09:54 AM
I hope RichRod is this generation's Bubba Franks and is excellent in the red zone.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2015, 11:19 AM
It is going to be Kuhn.

There is no box big enough to contain your thinking. You are outside it, way out there.

Reportedly Neal has soft hands.

ThunderDan
08-27-2015, 02:32 PM
There is no box big enough to contain your thinking. You are outside it, way out there.

Reportedly Neal has soft hands.

Well, I think I answered your question in another way. The 4 and 5 WR sets will be limited now. I expect a lot of 3WR 2RB and 3WR 1RB and 1 TE sets. Kuhn will be on the field instead of Nelson.

sharpe1027
08-27-2015, 02:38 PM
Well, I think I answered your question in another way. The 4 and 5 WR sets will be limited now. I expect a lot of 3WR 2RB and 3WR 1RB and 1 TE sets. Kuhn will be on the field instead of Nelson.

They might do that. IMO, for all the offensive threat that Kuhn will be, the should just put in Tretter.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2015, 02:43 PM
OK, well, if Rip is a must-have on special teams, do you think Kuhn will be active every game? I wonder who will be more valuable as a third down back - Neal or Kuhn. Kuhn's use as a pass receiver has diminished. Lacy was much more of a target last year. (Lacy 42 receptions, Kuhn 5)

I doubt Kuhn is set for an expanded role, but maybe I am blinded to his glory. Perhaps I need to accept John Kuhn into my heart.

ThunderDan
08-27-2015, 02:44 PM
They might do that. IMO, for all the offensive threat that Kuhn will be, the should just put in Tretter.

If Barclay or some other scrub is playing LT, I sure as hell would feel better with Kuhn staying in the backfield and helping stop the flood into our QB's lap.

ThunderDan
08-27-2015, 02:48 PM
OK, well, if Rip is a must-have on special teams, do you think Kuhn will be active every game? I wonder who will be more valuable as a third down back - Neal or Kuhn. Kuhn's use as a pass receiver has diminished. Lacy was much more of a target last year.

I doubt Kuhn is set for an expanded role, but maybe I am blinded to his glory. Perhaps I need to accept John Kuhn into my heart.

I think Kuhn has to be. He is excellent in pass protection. Lacy seemed to be picking it up better later in the year last year.

sharpe1027
08-27-2015, 02:48 PM
OK, well, if Rip is a must-have on special teams, do you think Kuhn will be active every game? I wonder who will be more valuable as a third down back - Neal or Kuhn. Kuhn's use as a pass receiver has diminished. Lacy was much more of a target last year.

I have nothing against Kuhn, but I really hope the Packer's roster is good enough to have better options at this point.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2015, 02:51 PM
I think Kuhn has to be. He is excellent in pass protection.

They used Starks a lot on third down last year. He would chip on a defensive end, then flair out into the flat.

I wonder how many snaps Kuhn played last year compared to Lacy & Starks. He wasn't active every game.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2015, 02:56 PM
If Barclay or some other scrub is playing LT, I sure as hell would feel better with Kuhn staying in the backfield and helping stop the flood into our QB's lap.

I agree that will be Kuhn's greatest value. He may see playing time for this reason. But can the other backs do a credible job, plus provide offensive punch?

ThunderDan
08-27-2015, 03:05 PM
I agree that will be Kuhn's greatest value. He may see playing time for this reason. But can the other backs do a credible job, plus provide offensive punch?

Who else on the team do you purpose? In a 3WR 2RB set I already have Lacy/Starks on the field.

Remember it was Kuhn who saved our bacon against the Bears to make the playoffs in 2013. Bacteria blocked the wrong person and Kuhn came out of his read to pick up Peppers who would have sacked ARod. I just don't see us letting that much experience and comfort level not play.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2015, 03:16 PM
Kuhn who saved our bacon against the Bears to make the playoffs in 2013.

Ah yes, 2013. It was a simpler time, I remember those days well. Fullbacks still roamed the earth, and America was gripped by the hip shaking pulse of Psy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqkPn9fqFfc

sharpe1027
08-27-2015, 03:52 PM
Who else on the team do you purpose? In a 3WR 2RB set I already have Lacy/Starks on the field.

Remember it was Kuhn who saved our bacon against the Bears to make the playoffs in 2013. Bacteria blocked the wrong person and Kuhn came out of his read to pick up Peppers who would have sacked ARod. I just don't see us letting that much experience and comfort level not play.

Hopefully Ripkowski, but otherwise the Packers line up TEs in the FB position fairly often, so it could be any of the TEs that step up too.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2015, 04:01 PM
White has the speed so he'll most likely be a backup. Lord knows what they'll do with Abby. They must be holding out hope because otherwise one would think he would have been cut after an injury settlement by now. :cnf:

White has speed, but he's not much of an outside receiver. If Cobb or Montgomery had gotten hurt, I think it would have opened up a spot for White. My guess is Nelson's injury gives an unknown outside receiver like Pinkard a shot at making the roster.

Would be kind of sad since White has worked hard for three years for an opening day roster spot.

Pugger
08-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Hopefully Ripkowski, but otherwise the Packers line up TEs in the FB position fairly often, so it could be any of the TEs that step up too.

Rip's stellar ST play will most likely reduce the number of TEs we keep this season. I suspect both Rip and Kuhn make the 53.

Pugger
08-27-2015, 06:20 PM
White has speed, but he's not much of an outside receiver. If Cobb or Montgomery had gotten hurt, I think it would have opened up a spot for White. My guess is Nelson's injury gives an unknown outside receiver like Pinkard a shot at making the roster.

Would be kind of sad since White has worked hard for three years for an opening day roster spot.

I heard we signed a WR today with a similar physique as Jordy's - a James Butler from Louisiana LaFayette, the same school as Ringo and Harris.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/323139321.html

Joemailman
08-27-2015, 06:39 PM
Boy, this guy is really obscure. Can't find a scouting report on him. Ran a 4.5 40 at his Pro Day.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2015, 06:48 PM
Who cares about that crap. Is he white?

Joemailman
08-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Who cares about that crap. Is he white?

I hope not. They're china dolls, all of 'em.

Pugger
08-27-2015, 11:52 PM
I hope not. They're china dolls, all of 'em.

Janis is no china doll.

run pMc
08-28-2015, 07:22 AM
I think it's more important that they can replace Jordy's production (or come close to it). I think that will require a group effort.

Maxie the Taxi
08-28-2015, 07:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zPZNolFvPI

Pugger
08-28-2015, 02:18 PM
That QB throwing to our new WR in college never looks his receiver off. He'd be toast doing that in the NFL. This Butler kid is a pretty big.

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2015, 02:12 AM
I want a do-over of this poll. Jones is in the mix now, we've seen 2 games. Indulge me.