PDA

View Full Version : __________, We Hardly Knew Ye

Fritz
08-31-2015, 01:49 PM
This thread came about after Patler mentioned in an earlier post that he thought Casey Hayward would be but a memory come this time next year. Bob McGinn, as usual, stole the idea from Packerrats and wrote a story on Hayward's mediocre play outside so far this training camp.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-casey-hayward-fails-to-impress-at-cornerback-b99565722z1-323393111.html

This got me to thinking about guys currently on the roster who might not be around next year and whom we never really got to see - maybe due to recurring injuries, or maybe because they just got buried.

So who are the guys who might not be around next year, or perhaps even could be surprise cuts - the guys who were around for a while but we never really got to see much of.

Hayward is, of course, one. I think Nick Perry fits this perfectly, too. I don't think we ever got to know him as a player, due to the incessant injuries that seemed to limit his development and effectiveness. Abbrederis seems likely on the same track. And maybe Myles White - seems like he's been around forever, yet he's never made much of an impression.

Who else?

red
08-31-2015, 02:05 PM
Datone jones

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2015, 02:05 PM
I see no future for Najeh Davenport.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2015, 02:07 PM
Datone jones

Good choice. Defensive lineman are hard to draft. Green Bay has seen bad picks forever, it's not just TT misfiring.

sharpe1027
08-31-2015, 02:12 PM
T.J. Rubley.

Fritz
08-31-2015, 02:32 PM
Guys currently on the roster, guys.

TJ Rubley was here two years ago in the form of Vince Young and Seneca Wallace, but neither he nor his ghosts are here now.

sharpe1027
08-31-2015, 02:39 PM
Flash back Mondays.

Don Barclay.

pbmax
08-31-2015, 03:16 PM
Nick Perry if he keeps this up. The contract drive for him is stuck in neutral.

He is stuck in a rut the size of the Snake River Canyon.

Guiness
08-31-2015, 03:42 PM
Guys currently on the roster, guys.

TJ Rubley was here two years ago in the form of Vince Young and Seneca Wallace, but neither he nor his ghosts are here now.

And before that as Tim Couch, who sued the Packers for an injury settlement, IIRC. None of those 3 threw an interception in a regular season game, however.

So who's gone...put me down for Demetri Goodson (numbers game, two draft picks and Gunther ahead of him) and Khyri Thornton. Other than possibly the already mentioned Hayward, I don't see anyone with more tenure than those guys being gone. Ok, maybe Tretter, if he gets so much as a hang nail.

Bossman641
08-31-2015, 04:28 PM
Thornton and Bradford are my 2 picks.

MadScientist
08-31-2015, 05:01 PM
Masthay

(They'll trade up for a punter in the 3rd round next year).

Joemailman
08-31-2015, 05:12 PM
Myles White - he was on the bubble before Jordy got hurt.

Thornton - he might be gone before September is over.

James Starks - Rajion Neal is a better receiver and blocker.

Sean Richardson - Doesn't seem to have gotten better.

Tolzien - Hundley will be the backup.

Guiness
08-31-2015, 05:49 PM

I could see Neal replacing Starks - I'd hardly call that a 'hardly knew you' though, he pieced together a 5 year career with the Packers.

I don't see Richardson leaving, he or Hyde are the third safety on the depth chart.

bobblehead
08-31-2015, 07:17 PM
Myles White - he was on the bubble before Jordy got hurt.

Thornton - he might be gone before September is over.

This is the only thoughtful post other than the OP. These are all guys that we had hopes for or teased a bit, but never really broke out. All guys who could be gone sooner rather than later.

I am going to add Hubbard. He's been hanging around on physical traits, but failed to produce. Datone has definitely been a disappointment.

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2015, 08:09 PM

Starks is a good player, he'll leave because he is an aging 2nd-tier running back who had a good career. Neal looks like a better receiver than most of the receivers.

Tolzien - he is free agent and will probably get good offer. If he comes back to GB, it is possible Hundley beats him out, but not certain.

Fritz
09-01-2015, 05:51 AM
This is the only thoughtful post other than the OP. These are all guys that we had hopes for or teased a bit, but never really broke out. All guys who could be gone sooner rather than later.

I am going to add Hubbard. He's been hanging around on physical traits, but failed to produce. Datone has definitely been a disappointment.

I'd have to agree on Hubbard. And my guess is that they IR bbredaris, and two years from now he'll be as well remembered as that WR Wolf drafted from Arkansas, the one who had hammer toes. That guy.

pbmax
09-01-2015, 06:28 AM
I'd have to agree on Hubbard. And my guess is that they IR bbredaris, and two years from now he'll be as well remembered as that WR Wolf drafted from Arkansas, the one who had hammer toes. That guy.

Or the ILB from Penn State, Mark D'Onofrio. He really could have used a smoothie.

pbmax
09-01-2015, 10:04 AM
Josh Walker. Tackles just don't appear like him as UDFAs.

Next year we will be talking about making a leap and by the cutdown to 53 everyone will want to be rid of him.

mraynrand
09-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Starks is a good player, he'll leave because he is an aging 2nd-tier running back who had a good career. Neal looks like a better receiver than most of the receivers.

I agree. Hampered by injuries a bit, the Stark Plug has been a decent player. Not every sixth-rounder can be Terrell Davis.

Neal will probably be lost to some sort of injury settlement, like all Packer third string running back prospects.

bobblehead
09-01-2015, 07:55 PM

That's fair. Starks wasn't really a "tease", but he had that nice run to the superbowl and many of us expected more from him than we got after that. But a 6th rounder who stuck around and produced some...not too bad.

Oh...and buh bye mr. Hubbard.

Patler
09-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Josh Walker. Tackles just don't appear like him as UDFAs.

Next year we will be talking about making a leap and by the cutdown to 53 everyone will want to be rid of him.

Yup. There have been many like him before, UDFAs or 6th/7th round picks that show some early promise, but never develop. Especially for tackles; although isn't Walker being targeted primarilly at guard or even center?

pbmax
09-02-2015, 08:23 AM
Yup. There have been many like him before, UDFAs or 6th/7th round picks that show some early promise, but never develop. Especially for tackles; although isn't Walker being targeted primarilly at guard or even center?

Early yes, but the more camp developed, the more time he spent at Tackle. He has a tweener kinda body. He is basically Lang sized but a bit bigger (6'5" and 328). Pretty long arms too. He could be extremely valuable if he can play Guard. Would be a classic Ted find, versatile Tackle sized everyman.

smuggler
09-02-2015, 12:50 PM
If he can play in the regular season as he has in the preseason, no one will be calling for him to be cut anytime soon.

Patler
09-02-2015, 01:14 PM
If he can play in the regular season as he has in the preseason, no one will be calling for him to be cut anytime soon.

Ya, but typically they don't. The cupcakes are gone, and the vet DL's actually try after the season starts. Suddenly, the unheralded no-name OL guy doesn't look so good anymore.

pbmax
09-02-2015, 01:32 PM
From the outside looking in, I would bet Walker would be a marginal starter at Tackle, but excel at Guard.

However, Lane Taylor, who has never looked ready before, seems to be the #3 Guard for the Packers now. I don't know if that says more about Taylor's improvement or Walker's first pro camp.

Cheesehead Craig
09-02-2015, 03:48 PM

Tolzien - he is free agent and will probably get good offer. If he comes back to GB, it is possible Hundley beats him out, but not certain.

I think Tolzien will be back and continue to be the #2.

gbgary
09-02-2015, 08:21 PM
agree on wisconson favorite son abbrederis...nothing last year and has missed the entire camp. i think he's toast.

Pugger
09-03-2015, 08:13 AM
agree on wisconson favorite son abbrederis...nothing last year and has missed the entire camp. i think he's toast.

This is just speculation on my part but the coaches must see something in Abby that they like for them to keep him around so long. If he was indeed toast why didn't they cut him on Tuesday after he passed the concussion protocols? I wonder if his route running and ability to read defenses is superior to White and Janis and this is why he is still around? :huh:

Guiness
09-03-2015, 01:27 PM
This is just speculation on my part but the coaches must see something in Abby that they like for them to keep him around so long. If he was indeed toast why didn't they cut him on Tuesday after he passed the concussion protocols? I wonder if his route running and ability to read defenses is superior to White and Janis and this is why he is still around? :huh:

We know one thing for sure, he didn't punch any coaches or sleep with any of their daughters!

Patler
09-03-2015, 02:48 PM

Or, they have absolutely no idea what he has to offer, because they have never seen him take a meaningful snap, but want to find out before letting him go. The cutdown to 75 isn't too difficult, lot's of guys don't belong. Not hard to keep him around for a quick look anyway.

sharpe1027
09-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Abby was always going to make the 75 just on his draft position alone. They saw something in him to draft him, even if he was not showing it on the field. Making the final cut is a whole different ball game.

mraynrand
09-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Ya, but typically they don't. The cupcakes are gone, and the vet DL's actually try after the season starts. Suddenly, the unheralded no-name OL guy doesn't look so good anymore.

and what does that say about Barclay? It ain't pretty, that's for sure.

wpony
09-03-2015, 04:15 PM
Maybe they are giving him a little extra time to show what he really has for 2 reasons he was a good receiver in school runs great touts plays great special teams but not only that he really impressed Rodgers he even started the nick name magic for him so if he does get cut I really think they will try and get him to there ps squad just to see what the kid has.

pbmax
09-03-2015, 06:45 PM
and what does that say about Barclay? It ain't pretty, that's for sure.

PFF, Campen and I think McGinn (might have been Dougherty/Banaczyk) thought he turned around the pass pro problem versus the Eagles #1s. But still had issues with the run.

Fritz
09-04-2015, 12:19 PM
How did Barclay do last night?

pbmax
09-04-2015, 01:07 PM
How did Barclay do last night?

Not as bad. Still a little loose. Pass blocking seemed to stay recovered from catastrophic.

Fritz
09-08-2015, 10:42 AM
This thread came about after Patler mentioned in an earlier post that he thought Casey Hayward would be but a memory come this time next year. Bob McGinn, as usual, stole the idea from Packerrats and wrote a story on Hayward's mediocre play outside so far this training camp.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-casey-hayward-fails-to-impress-at-cornerback-b99565722z1-323393111.html

This got me to thinking about guys currently on the roster who might not be around next year and whom we never really got to see - maybe due to recurring injuries, or maybe because they just got buried.

So who are the guys who might not be around next year, or perhaps even could be surprise cuts - the guys who were around for a while but we never really got to see much of.

Hayward is, of course, one. I think Nick Perry fits this perfectly, too. I don't think we ever got to know him as a player, due to the incessant injuries that seemed to limit his development and effectiveness. Abbrederis seems likely on the same track. And maybe Myles White - seems like he's been around forever, yet he's never made much of an impression.

Who else?

Myles, we hardly knew ye.