PDA

View Full Version : Bart Starr Article

Cheesehead Craig
09-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Didn't realize how bad he has gotten.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13498818/green-bay-packers-bart-starr-honor-brett-favre-one-last-great-drive-lambeau

pbmax
09-01-2015, 09:43 AM
I kinda doubt a Lambeau visit, on the field anyway, is a good idea at this point.

KYPack
09-01-2015, 10:07 AM
Shit, Bart doesn't remember Vince Lombardi or recognize himself in the Ice Bowl.

I sorta hope he doesn't try to go to Lambeau for Turkey Day.

Pugger
09-01-2015, 10:16 AM
What a great story! It will be wonderful to see all 3 of our iconic QBs together at Lambeau on Thanksgiving.

Fritz
09-01-2015, 10:48 AM
You know what, if the man doesn't recognize the context for the event - his own career, what he's done - and can't remember why he's there, then to me it's not right or fair to put him in that position.

mraynrand
09-01-2015, 10:55 AM
You know what, if the man doesn't recognize the context for the event - his own career, what he's done - and can't remember why he's there, then to me it's not right or fair to put him in that position.

totally agree

If Bart is already gone, let him rest in peace.

mraynrand
09-01-2015, 11:01 AM
Ya know, there is plenty of video of Starr praising Favre. They should just play that on the 'tron instead of wheeling Starr's empty body onto the field. Reading the article, it's pretty clear Starr is gone and isn't coming back. Godspeed, Bart.

pbmax
09-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Just finished it. Really don't see the need at this point to bring him along. Bring Majik and McMahon out there. Brett will look glorious in comparison.

Joemailman
09-01-2015, 11:09 AM
I think it will be Starr family's decision. If they want Bart to be there, the Packers can't say no. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of private discussions between the parties involved in the next couple of months on how to handle this.

KYPack
09-01-2015, 11:34 AM
I think it will be Starr family's decision. If they want Bart to be there, the Packers can't say no. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of private discussions between the parties involved in the next couple of months on how to handle this.

Yeah.

Pug, I said what I said because the whole ordeal might kill him.

Freak Out
09-01-2015, 11:47 AM
It's hard to see our heroes go.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2015, 11:56 AM
It's hard to see our heroes go.

I just know Tank will be back someday.

mraynrand
09-01-2015, 11:59 AM
I just know Tank will be back someday.

perhaps the body, but not the mind. His mind is forever lost.

pbmax
09-01-2015, 01:00 PM

I am just not sure what the family is getting out of this. At one point, I want to say Harlan was talking to Steve True, radio mentioned that Bart's wife was very protective of him as he aged and did not want him to be embarrassed. It was mentioned before the stroke and after. It seems like that has changed, unless the article is presenting him as more diminished than he actually is.

Compared to earlier reports of his progress with stem cell treatment, this article paints a much bleaker picture.

MadScientist
09-01-2015, 01:30 PM
I am just not sure what the family is getting out of this. At one point, I want to say Harlan was talking to Steve True, radio mentioned that Bart's wife was very protective of him as he aged and did not want him to be embarrassed. It was mentioned before the stroke and after. It seems like that has changed, unless the article is presenting him as more diminished than he actually is.

Compared to earlier reports of his progress with stem cell treatment, this article paints a much bleaker picture.

I get the sense that Bart wanted to do this before the serious events last year. It seems that Cherry wants this for him, or for the memory to what he was. I think his family might think stepping out onto a field with 70,000+ fans cheering for him will be a good, happy experience for him, even if he is not fully clear why it is happening.

Bossman641
09-01-2015, 01:32 PM
I had just come here to link to the same article.

It would be absolutely fantastic if Starr were able to make it back to Lambeau and bask in the fan's adulation. But if he doesn't recognize it or understand what is going on, what is the point?

Anyways, great article...tough to read at times. I'm way too young for the Lombardi/Starr years but have heard nothing but how much of a gentleman and class act Bart was.

pbmax
09-01-2015, 02:40 PM
I get the sense that Bart wanted to do this before the serious events last year. It seems that Cherry wants this for him, or for the memory to what he was. I think his family might think stepping out onto a field with 70,000+ fans cheering for him will be a good, happy experience for him, even if he is not fully clear why it is happening.

That's a good guess. It is entirely possible he spoke to Favre and Murphy well before the stroke and was eager.

Carolina_Packer
09-01-2015, 04:13 PM
I think the family will decide what is best. It would be totally cool to see all three QB's on the field at the same time, but only if Bart is up to it. The movie script might have him come to Green Bay, hear the roar of the crowd, feel the love and recognize the significance of the moment, but reality may be quite different, even a few months from now.

Smidgeon
09-01-2015, 04:23 PM
It could also be that they're using Thanksgiving not necessarily as a big event to honor Favre, the Packers, etc, but to give him something to work towards, to strive towards. To give him a goal to fight for, something they can circle on the calendar.

wpony
09-01-2015, 04:57 PM
I agree totally even when I had to have my knee replaced my PT, said if you want to get out of the rehab facility you have to work for it push your self a little harder everyday, So I can see where the DRs, wife,therapists are probably all using the Thanksgiving day event as the golden ring at the end and unless he has a miraculous recovery before then they wont let him on the field unless he is in a wheel chair and just stands up to shake his hand.

Patler
09-01-2015, 06:40 PM
Stroke victims sometimes comprehend more than they can convey to others that they comprehend. His family might be banking on that. After all, he apparently still has interest in watching the Packers even if he can't convey to others why he does. Just because he can't explain to others who Lombardi is, or what he, Starr, was to GB doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't comprehend more completely in his own mind. Sometime, the connection between understanding and communicating just doesn't work.

Too bad. At 81 he still could have had some good years left. Are all the blows to the head players took in those days partly responsible?

Sur would have been nice to see Starr, Favre and Rodgers shooting the bull about playing QB in the NFL.

Joemailman
09-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Stroke victims sometimes comprehend more than they can convey to others that they comprehend. His family might be banking on that. After all, he apparently still has interest in watching the Packers even if he can't convey to others why he does. Just because he can't explain to others who Lombardi is, or what he, Starr, was to GB doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't comprehend more completely in his own mind. Sometime, the connection between understanding and communicating just doesn't work.

Too bad. At 81 he still could have had some good years left. Are all the blows to the head players took in those days partly responsible?

Sur would have been nice to see Starr, Favre and Rodgers shooting the bull about playing QB in the NFL.

Hopefully this is the case. My Godmother lived the last years of her life with Alzheimers, and when I read the article today, my fear was that Bart was in the early stages of Alzheimers. Perhaps though, Bart's problem really is communication more than comprehension. We can only hope.

pbmax
09-20-2015, 09:56 AM
Bart had a setback, a very serious infection. Per his son on JSO: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bart-starr-battles-bad-infection-b99580239z1-328408001.html

Bart Starr Jr. told WBAY-TV his father developed an infection that put him back in the hospital for four days and almost killed him.

gbgary
09-20-2015, 12:29 PM
so sad. problems with memory/mind are the worst. body will give in soon.

pbmax
10-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Still on track. http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2015/10/26/bart-starr-track-attend-favre-ceremony/74636228/

Carolina_Packer
10-27-2015, 04:14 PM
If Bart is able to make it, there will probably be some people getting choked up during that ceremony.

pbmax
11-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Name 'em.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTFI-j1UYAAoaHE.jpg:large

Rastak
11-05-2015, 08:25 PM
Hopefully this is the case. My Godmother lived the last years of her life with Alzheimers, and when I read the article today, my fear was that Bart was in the early stages of Alzheimers. Perhaps though, Bart's problem really is communication more than comprehension. We can only hope.

Killed my aunt in her early 60's......was diagnosed in her fifties and I wouldn't wish that on anyone except maybe some ISIS assholes.

Maxie the Taxi
11-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Dan Currie, Bob Skoronski, Paul Hornung, Maxie, Ron Kramer, Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy, illegible #?, Norm Masters, Jim Taylor, Hank Greminger

Joemailman
11-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Dan Currie, Bob Skoronski, Paul Hornung, Maxie, Ron Kramer, Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy, illegible #?, Norm Masters, Jim Taylor, Hank Greminger

Illegible # looks like 71. List of Packers who wore #71. http://www0.nfl.packers.com/history/record_book/results_and_rosters/all_time_jersey_numbers/?number=71

I think it's Bill Forester.

HowardRoark
11-05-2015, 09:31 PM
What's with the guy in the purple thing?

Guiness
11-05-2015, 10:37 PM

Prince

pbmax
11-06-2015, 07:44 AM
Prince

Its the 70s. That is Elvis.

Maxie the Taxi
11-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Platform shoes.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M96230f4fdfff4a0c92996e1aa9694548o0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Cheesehead Craig
11-06-2015, 09:14 AM
Killed my aunt in her early 60's......was diagnosed in her fifties and I wouldn't wish that on anyone except maybe some ISIS assholes.

Got my grandma and feel the same way you do about it. Just a devastating disease.

pbmax
11-22-2015, 12:59 PM
Bart is on schedule to attend. Wednesday, if you want to greet him at the airport and help carry their luggage.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/bart-starr-on-schedule-to-attend-favre-ceremony-b99620969z1-352781221.html

pbmax
11-23-2015, 11:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14208806/green-bay-packers-qbs-bart-starr-brett-favre-aaron-rodgers-attend-celebration-lambeau-field

She said her husband does not remember his iconic career as quarterback of the Packers.

But he's still scheduled to travel tomorrow.

Pugger
11-23-2015, 11:34 PM

Those hits probably did. Back then if you got woozy they would give you smelling salts and send you back out there not knowing the damage this can cause.

Fritz
11-24-2015, 09:09 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14208806/green-bay-packers-qbs-bart-starr-brett-favre-aaron-rodgers-attend-celebration-lambeau-field

But he's still scheduled to travel tomorrow.

How strange all this must be for him, then, if he cannot remember he is "Bart Starr" in the way we all do - that is, if he doesn't remember he was the QB of the Packers during their greatest years, then what will it be like for him to stand out on the middle of a field and look up at all these cheering people?

I guess it's just the truth that this is not being done for Bart Starr - it's being done for us.

Well, and so the NFL can make some more money, too.

Maxie the Taxi
11-24-2015, 09:11 AM
How strange all this must be for him, then, if he cannot remember he is "Bart Starr" in the way we all do - that is, if he doesn't remember he was the QB of the Packers during their greatest years, then what will it be like for him to stand out on the middle of a field and look up at all these cheering people?

I guess it's just the truth that this is not being done for Bart Starr - it's being done for us.

Well, and so the NFL can make some more money, too.Cherry will not allow him to be embarrassed.

Joemailman
11-24-2015, 10:03 AM

Well, and so the NFL can make some more money, too.

I think it's obvious that the Starr family wants to do this. It wouldn't happen otherwise.

"I hope when Bart walks on the field that it will bring back a lot of really nice thoughts and experiences," Cherry told ESPN.com Monday night. "I just think it will be really stimulating to him to see all the lights and all the people and to hear the cheering. I hope it brings back memories for Bart, even if it's just for that moment. It's been a long road to get to this point, and we're all very excited about it."

Should the Packers refuse their wish? And how does this translate to more money for the NFL?

Carolina_Packer
11-24-2015, 10:44 AM
I think it's obvious that the Starr family wants to do this. It wouldn't happen otherwise.

Should the Packers refuse their wish? And how does this translate to more money for the NFL?

I agree, it's totally up to Bart's family and what they want. I can't say what I'd do in if faced with the same decision, but since nobody knows 100% how the brain works, it would be pretty cool if the experience woke up some memories, and some very cherished ones at that. The man deserves the recognition for sure, whether or not he is able to process it at this point, and let's hope he is. I know that's the stuff of movies, but since nobody can say for sure anyway, I choose to hope for that result.

mraynrand
11-24-2015, 11:05 AM
I agree, it's totally up to Bart's family and what they want. I can't say what I'd do in if faced with the same decision, but since nobody knows 100% how the brain works, it would be pretty cool if the experience woke up some memories, and some very cherished ones at that. The man deserves the recognition for sure, whether or not he is able to process it at this point, and let's hope he is. I know that's the stuff of movies, but since nobody can say for sure anyway, I choose to hope for that result.

Good post. I'm hoping for this and praying he doesn't get befuddled and go all 'Rain Man' out there.

MadScientist
11-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Even if there is no miracle, and even if he doesn't understand why, it's very possible that he will be aware that the packed crowd at Lambeau is screaming and cheering for him, which has to be a good feeling. This really is it for the man. Let him have his last moment and hope he enjoys it.

Smidgeon
11-24-2015, 11:28 AM

My grandmother suffered from Alzheimers. When she met my daughter, her first great-grandchild, for the first time, she had one of the clearest days in years. Some things do trigger clarity, if only for a moment.

Hopefully this is one.

Fritz
11-24-2015, 11:59 AM

I'm not suggesting this shouldn't happen. I'm simply saying that it's being done for us. And that's a tribute to the Starr family.

And in truth, the NFL will make out on this, too. I imagine this event will pump up ratings, and that's good for the bottom line.

I loved Bart Starr when I was a kid. He was my hero - a really class person, cool under fire, the best. I got into lots of schoolyard tussles argung he was way better than Johnny U. I'm just sad that the guy doesn't remember, and sad to imagine that all of this might be more confusing for him than gratifying or enlightening.

Bossman641
11-25-2015, 02:45 PM
This article makes it seem like Starr is recognizing some things again....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14220145/green-bay-packers-bart-starr-ready-emotional-homecoming

Though Starr's wife of 61 years, Cherry, said her 81-year-old husband doesn't remember specifics of his career and doesn't connect with old clips from his glory days, Starr's trainer, Brian Burns, said Tuesday his most resilient client can now recite a few basic facts he didn't know last month.

"I ask him what his number was, and he says, 'Fifteen,'" Burns said. "I ask him who he played for, and he says, 'Vince Lombardi.' I ask him what position he played, and he says, 'Quarterback.' One time he said, 'Linebacker,' and we got a good laugh over that. But he's made incredible progress. He is really coming back."

When Starr's executive assistant, Leigh Ann Nelson, recently held up a copy of David Maraniss' biography of Lombardi, "When Pride Still Mattered," and asked him to name the man on the cover who he'd failed to identify for more than a year, Starr responded, "That's Coach Lombardi. Why do you ask?

Starr is well before my time but I'm extremely jealous of all those attending the game Thursday. I really hope Starr gets the fairy-tale moment he deserves.

pbmax
11-26-2015, 08:04 AM
Boyd Dowler on Bart: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/353980631.html

A. He was always the same. He was never manic, never jumping up and down or yelling and hollering. Always had himself as well everything under control. He wasn’t going off half-cocked. He gave the impression of being — and he was — very reliable. He didn’t make stupid calls. He had good reason for what he called. I could go on and on. That’s the beginning of it.

I started my rookie year and was in most of the huddles that Bart was in charge of for 11 straight years. He was never different. He never really called anybody out. He didn’t get in anybody’s face, which I think is overrated anyway. People nowadays say the quarterback has to get up in the face of the offensive linemen if they give up a sack. I think that’s ridiculous. He knew what to say and when to say it. He had a great manor about him.

mraynrand
11-26-2015, 08:38 AM
He had a great manor about him.

I though Bart had a modest home.

pbmax
11-26-2015, 05:33 PM
I though Bart had a modest home.

Explains the job posting for a copy editor at JS.