PDA

View Full Version : Putting the Band Back Together JJ Edition

pbmax
09-06-2015, 02:31 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 3m3 minutes ago
Deal is not done yet but #Packers WR James Jones is on his way to GB, set to meet with the brass.

Fritz
09-06-2015, 02:46 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 3m3 minutes ago
Deal is not done yet but #Packers WR James Jones is on his way to GB, set to meet with the brass.

But we all know how TT works. Jones is coming in today, but tomorrow the papers will say he left without signing a contract.

pbmax
09-06-2015, 02:58 PM
Packer fans stalking Jones at the airport.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m8 minutes ago
Well. Guess James Jones has arrived in GB #stalkers RT @AndyBxs: @RapSheet james jones is in the house!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COPpXOHWIAA-V-b.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/COPpXOHWIAA-V-b.jpg:large

NewsBruin
09-06-2015, 03:07 PM
That's fresher than I look in the airport.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2015, 03:09 PM
I wish he had arrived wearing his old packer jersey. I like a little chutzpah.

smuggler
09-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Fuck that. Put him up at a hotel and give him a tab at the Applebees. Never know when you might need him!

As for the Adidas threads, maybe he's got an endorsement. ;)

Patler
09-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Packer fans stalking Jones at the airport.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m8 minutes ago
Well. Guess James Jones has arrived in GB #stalkers RT @AndyBxs: @RapSheet james jones is in the house!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COPpXOHWIAA-V-b.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/COPpXOHWIAA-V-b.jpg:large

When you leave with class and dignity, you will be welcomed back; and you can walk in with your head held high.
GB is probably glad to see him, and I bet he is glad to be back.

Joemailman
09-06-2015, 03:34 PM
When you leave with class and dignity, you will be welcomed back; and you can walk in with your head held high.
GB is probably glad to see him, and I bet he is glad to be back.

I'll bet Arod is really happy. Myles White, not so much.

deake
09-06-2015, 03:34 PM
Jones is on nfl network right now, Giants & New England

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Probably the chance of JJ signing with GB is about 15%, with 3% standard deviation.

But it is interesting possibility. Or as Max would say, probability of possibility, possibly.

Patler
09-06-2015, 03:45 PM
I'll bet Arod is really happy. Myles White, not so much.

Probably so!
The wild cards we have not yet been told of are Cobb's shoulder and Montgomery's hamstring. Could be that one or both will not be ready to go against the Bears, and they need both White and Jones. The roster opening for Jones could come from somewhere other than the ranks of the WRs, at least for now.

Rutnstrut
09-06-2015, 03:45 PM
I REALLY want this to happen, so I'm sure it won't. But if it does, barring injury I will go out on a limb and say Jones makes a huge impact.

Rutnstrut
09-06-2015, 03:48 PM
Probably so!
The wild cards we have not yet been told of are Cobb's shoulder and Montgomery's hamstring. Could be that one or both will not be ready to go against the Bears, and they need both White and Jones. The roster opening for Jones could come from somewhere other than the ranks of the WRs, at least for now.

So say they sign Jones and he plays well, do they keep him when everyone else is healthy? IMO that will depend on how he is playing and how much Rodger's feels he needs him.

Patler
09-06-2015, 03:50 PM
If the photo is Jones in GB, its a mostly a done deal. Why else would he be here? He signed a vet minimum contract with the Giants, so I doubt there is much negotiation needed on terms. Could be that they will want to run him through a practice first, but otherwise I think he will be signed.

smuggler
09-06-2015, 03:53 PM
I wish Jennings had been more like Jones after he left town.

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Apparently, he's back.

Ian Rapoport
Reunion: James Jones is signing with the #Packers, source said.

Joemailman
09-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Who says TT doesn't sign free agents?

red
09-06-2015, 04:54 PM
welcome home james

many won't like the move cause he isn't the flashiest guy in the world. but the guy busted his ass when he was here, and turned himself from a guy who had the drops early in his career into a very reliable WR

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/06/packers-bring-back-james-jones/

Reporters met Jones at the airport and he said that it was good to be back with the Packers.

red
09-06-2015, 04:55 PM
Who says TT doesn't sign free agents?

TT drafted him, he doesn't count

Joemailman
09-06-2015, 04:58 PM
TT drafted him, he doesn't count

Since when do you get to make up the rules? :taunt:

Pugger
09-06-2015, 05:08 PM
This is a nice insurance policy for us, especially if Cobb can't go next Sunday.

pbmax
09-06-2015, 05:18 PM
This is ruining our League Leading youth and never played for any other team numbers.

Boo.

KYPack
09-06-2015, 05:20 PM
This is a nice insurance policy for us, especially if Cobb can't go next Sunday.

I don't see Cobb playing effectively for 3-4 weeks. That shoulder will limit him a bunch.

red
09-06-2015, 05:28 PM
i mean......

he sucked bad when he was with us before, and he'll pry suck a lot for us again

infact i have a buddy in green bay that just told me he broke both ankles at the airport

whew

i forgot we're drafting in a couple hours

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2015, 05:31 PM
The fact that Abby made it to practice squad might have made signing Jones a little easier. That's a solid option later in season if JJ plays old.

red
09-06-2015, 05:34 PM
The fact that Abby made it to practice squad might have made signing Jones a little easier. That's a solid option later in season if JJ plays old.

7 deep at wr

and hopefully by the end of the year, 7 damn good players

Joemailman
09-06-2015, 05:38 PM
Last year Jones had a career high in catches, but his YPC plummeted to 9. 2 possible reasons. He's lost a step and can't get away from anybody for YAC. The other is that the Raiders were using him as a safety valve receiver to help their rookie QB. Hope it's the latter obviously.

pbmax
09-06-2015, 05:40 PM
Last year Jones had a career high in catches, but his YPC plummeted to 9. 2 possible reasons. He's lost a step and can't get away from anybody for YAC. The other is that the Raiders were using him as a safety valve receiver to help their rookie QB. Hope it's the latter obviously.

Carr was a checkdown king.

red
09-06-2015, 05:46 PM
yeah, rookie QB's are not gonna give their WRs the greatest stats

red
09-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 58m58 minutes ago
WR James Jones has officially signed a new one-year deal with the #Packers.

think its pretty official

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/reports-cut-raiders-giants-wr-jones-rejoins-packers?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

UPDATE (3:02pm PT): James Jones is signing with the Packers, the receiver confirmed to CSN's Fallon Smith on Sunday.

pittstang5
09-06-2015, 06:22 PM
think its pretty official

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/reports-cut-raiders-giants-wr-jones-rejoins-packers?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Whew....i like it...no I love it. i feel beter now.

Now, who goes? Heard they might IR desig. to return Goodson. That's what'd I do.

gbgary
09-06-2015, 06:30 PM
welcome back jj.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2015, 06:49 PM
welcome back jj.

There's something a little minstrely about this, but I'm tempted to put a little James Jones packer jersey on this.
They'll probably let me keep it when they finally drag me away to the nut house.

http://www.bionicdisco.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/JJ_Talking_Toy_Ebony_May_1975.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Whew....i like it...no I love it. i feel beter now.

Now, who goes? Heard they might IR desig. to return Goodson. That's what'd I do.

Why would they waste that on a player like Goodson?

Patler
09-06-2015, 08:02 PM
Why would they waste that on a player like Goodson?

My thought exactly. You never know who is going to get injured the first month that you might need the designation for.
If their injuries are long term, Hyde, Cobb and maybe Montgomery are about the only currently dinged up players that I would use the designation for, assuming Bakhtiari is OK.

pittstang5
09-06-2015, 08:24 PM
My thought exactly. You never know who is going to get injured the first month that you might need the designation for.
If their injuries are long term, Hyde, Cobb and maybe Montgomery are about the only currently dinged up players that I would use the designation for, assuming Bakhtiari is OK.

Ah ha - Ya see, for some strange reason, I keep thinking they have to use the desig. for return IR NOW - like before the 1st game. I don't know why I keep thinking that.

I agree, they should keep that in case some big name player goes down.

However, I did read somewhere that putting Goodson on the IR to return was a possibility. It was probably the writers opinion and I don't remember who it was.

call_me_ishmael
09-06-2015, 09:23 PM
Why didn't he make the roster in NY? Are they just that deep at WR? It is a little surprising he is back. Especially since he is guaranteed for the year since he signed prior to week 1. I would have guessed if they were adding another guy they'd roll with Abby for one week then move him to PS when Datone Jones was back.

smuggler
09-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Which player was released to make room for JJ?

Joemailman
09-06-2015, 10:58 PM
Which player was released to make room for JJ?

No announcement yet.

Fritz
09-07-2015, 07:13 AM

You are joking, right? Abbrederis has played about twenty minutes of professional football, practices and game (singular, preseason) put together.

pbmax
09-07-2015, 07:16 AM
You are joking, right? Abbrederis has played about twenty minutes of professional football, practices and game (singular, preseason) put together.

And yet, he is their best punt returner.

Patler
09-07-2015, 08:19 AM

Carr was a checkdown king.

Something changed about mid-season with how they used Jones. Through the first 7 games, he had 36 receptions for 425 yards. Thereafter he had 37 for 241. I brought this up last season, when in game #9 he had 8 receptions for 20 yards. A WR averaging 2.5 yds/rec in a game with a lot of receptions tells a lot about how he is being used.

His preseason with the Giants was back to normal 15 rec/187 yards.

Patler
09-07-2015, 08:33 AM
You are joking, right? Abbrederis has played about twenty minutes of professional football, practices and game (singular, preseason) put together.And yet, he is their best punt returner.

Again, Micah Hyde gets no respect. He has done it as a pro, averaging 13.6 yards per punt return, with 3 TDs in two years of professional football, and 38 punt returns. Are you sure Abbrederis is better than that? Hyde is actually pretty darn good at it.

Abbrederis has done absolutely nothing as a pro, since he hasn't even played a real game yet. Many players are expected to be good pros, but aren't.

pbmax
09-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Again, Micah Hyde gets no respect. He has done it as a pro, averaging 13.6 yards per punt return, with 3 TDs in two years of professional football, and 38 punt returns. Are you sure Abbrederis is better than that? Hyde is actually pretty darn good at it.

Abbrederis has done absolutely nothing as a pro, since he hasn't even played a real game yet. Many players are expected to be good pros, but aren't.

That's a fair point. I did not see Hyde much in punt return in pre-season, so I forgot about him. Was comparing Magic to Janis and the other suspects (even Cobb).

But I think Magic is gifted at punt returns, in a way Hyde is not. Hyde seems more boom or bust, Magic has more shake. I would need serious numbers to make this case, and those numbers don't exist yet, but I think Magic gets you 7 yards even on a badly blocked return just by making the first two guys miss. Hyde's gift is making the most of a crease and getting downfield. And that is nothing at which to sneeze.

Patler
09-07-2015, 09:23 AM
That's a fair point. I did not see Hyde much in punt return in pre-season, so I forgot about him. Was comparing Magic to Janis and the other suspects (even Cobb).

But I think Magic is gifted at punt returns, in a way Hyde is not. Hyde seems more boom or bust, Magic has more shake. I would need serious numbers to make this case, and those numbers don't exist yet, but I think Magic gets you 7 yards even on a badly blocked return just by making the first two guys miss. Hyde's gift is making the most of a crease and getting downfield. And that is nothing at which to sneeze.

Cobb has never impressed me much on punt returns. He seems "OK", but not someone to get too excited about.

The more I see Hyde return punts, the more impressed I am. He seems to have little or no "shake" as you call it, but does seem to have incredible vision on punt returns. He catches it, makes a cut or two, and just runs. At first I thought maybe it was just a fluke, but he has done it over two years now, so it seems more than a fluke. He doesn't look to have the speed or moves you usually see in top punt returners, but gets results.

I really hope Abbrederis has an opportunity, but I have never expected it to happen. When he was drafted, I said he would hang around for two or three years, be injured all the time, and then just fade away without a meaning pro career. I hope I am wrong, for the sake of his health and the Packers. I worry about a guy who gets a concussion on a relatively innocent training camp play so significant that he misses 5 weeks.

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2015, 11:01 AM
Sounds like Myles White has been cut.

Rutnstrut
09-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Why didn't he make the roster in NY? Are they just that deep at WR? It is a little surprising he is back. Especially since he is guaranteed for the year since he signed prior to week 1. I would have guessed if they were adding another guy they'd roll with Abby for one week then move him to PS when Datone Jones was back.

Pretty sure he didn't make it in NY because he can't get the 52 yards of separation that Manning needs to complete a pass. Eli needs freak, athletes to make him decent. Rodgers needs guys who can be where they are suppose to on the field and a pin hole to get the ball through.

red
09-07-2015, 11:34 AM

confirmed

vince
09-07-2015, 11:47 AM
Sucks to be Myles White, but that's the right move I think. Abby and Pinkard (if he sticks after the shoulder heals up) have greater upside. When he stopped his crossing pattern and let the defender cross his face, causing Tolzien to get picked in the last preseason game, I think that put a stamp on his package out of town. White does not have the physicality needed to be a possession receiver or separate from press coverage, nor does he have the blazing speed a guy of his stature needs.

Smidgeon
09-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Sucks to be Myles White, but that's the right move I think. Abby and Pinkard (if he sticks after the shoulder heals up) have greater upside. When he stopped his crossing pattern and let the defender cross his face, causing Tolzien to get picked in the last preseason game, I think that put a stamp on his package out of town. White does not have the physicality needed to be a possession receiver or separate from press coverage, nor does he have the blazing speed a guy of his stature needs.

What an emotional roller coaster for White. Makes the 53, finally, after a couple years on the practice squad and a good preseason. Is basking in the relief of making it, then gets cut two days later because they pick someone up from another team on final cut down. Something that was certainly a possibility for any of the bottom of the roster guys, so not unforeseen, but still probably a rough ride there.

Harlan Huckleby
09-07-2015, 12:03 PM

Is he now on the Packers' couch reseve, or does a team sign him?

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2015, 12:33 PM
I think he'll get a look from a team that needs a slot WR. Packers had too many with 2 outside and 3 slot WRs and Abby on the PS. If it had been Cobb who got injured instead of Jordy, White is probably on the team. I think this may show that the coaches don't think Janis is ready. Great potential, but not ready yet.

vince
09-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Apparently White is still PS eligible? I hope they/he move on.

It'll be interesting to see where Jones slides into the receiver rotation.

Joemailman
09-07-2015, 02:29 PM
Apparently White is still PS eligible? I hope they/he move on.

I agree. He's good enough to play in the NFL, but it's not happening here.

KYPack
09-07-2015, 02:50 PM
I think he'll get a look from a team that needs a slot WR. Packers had too many with 2 outside and 3 slot WRs and Abby on the PS. If it had been Cobb who got injured instead of Jordy, White is probably on the team. I think this may show that the coaches don't think Janis is ready. Great potential, but not ready yet.

Yup, that's the problem with signing the guys from small programs.

The long learning curve.

Janis needs to make the big mental leap this season.

pbmax
09-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Yup, that's the problem with signing the guys from small programs.

The long learning curve.

Janis needs to make the big mental leap this season.

Its never stopped Mike Wallace.

"Run a 9 route again Jeff!"

pbmax
09-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 4m4 minutes ago
James Jones will wear his old No. 89 for the #Packers & Richard Rodgers will move to No. 82.

Poor Don Beebe. A TE with his number.

Joemailman
09-07-2015, 03:23 PM
James Jones will wear his old No. 89 for the #Packers & Richard Rodgers will move to No. 82.

Good. Now 007 won't have to amend her sig.

Bossman641
09-07-2015, 04:11 PM
I wonder if White getting cut means Cobb is pretty healthy. Adams, Jones, and Janis aren't slot guys. That leaves Montgomery as the only other option.

Joemailman
09-07-2015, 04:21 PM
I'm sure Jones has played some slot in his time with the Packers. Packers make sure all their WR's learn all the positions, although I imagine that's a work in progress for Janis and Montgomery.

Tony Oday
09-07-2015, 04:43 PM
How long will it take for JJ to produce? 3 games in? It's not like we are talking an elite WR here, he was decent but MM picked Boykin over him.

Patler
09-07-2015, 04:44 PM

So, how much did Jones have to pay Rodgers to get #89 back?
Or, does a returning player have dibs on his number for a limited time?

Joemailman
09-07-2015, 05:11 PM
How long will it take for JJ to produce? 3 games in? It's not like we are talking an elite WR here, he was decent but MM picked Boykin over him.

He's only been away a year. And he was playing pretty well for the Giants this year. I don't think there should be much of an adjustment period.

As for the last comment, MM isn't the GM.

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2015, 05:42 PM

What do you mean MM picked Boykin over him?

Choosing not to pay JJ $3-$4m/yr and going with a guy making minimum at backup WR isn't the same as choosing Boykin over JJ. Salaries being equal, I'm sure TT and MM would have chosen JJ.

Joemailman
09-07-2015, 06:09 PM
James Jones today:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/325484061.html

(On Myles White leaving) "To be honest with you, me and Myles are real close, and I talked to him. I had a chance to talk to him yesterday and I told him just to keep his head up, man, it’s a crazy business. It is. You hate to see times like this, you wish everybody could make it, but they can’t. I was a little hurt (for him), but at the same time, my babies need food too and Daddy is the provider and Daddy has to do what’s best for them, and I wish Myles the best. Like I said, that’s my guy, I talked to him last night for a long time, had a long conversation with him. Told him if he needs anything let me know. And I wish him the best in his career."

Harlan Huckleby
09-07-2015, 06:24 PM
What do you mean MM picked Boykin over him?

Choosing not to pay JJ $3-$4m/yr and going with a guy making minimum at backup WR isn't the same as choosing Boykin over JJ. Salaries being equal, I'm sure TT and MM would have chosen JJ.

OK, true, but the hope was that Boykin would grow into a JJ role. There were similarities between two.

I wonder what TT would have done with benefit of hindsight.

vince
09-07-2015, 06:44 PM
what TT would have done with benefit of hindsight.That's reserved for us judgmental fans after each loss.

pbmax
09-07-2015, 07:08 PM
I wonder if White getting cut means Cobb is pretty healthy. Adams, Jones, and Janis aren't slot guys. That leaves Montgomery as the only other option.

I think it does.

Pugger
09-08-2015, 08:04 AM
Is he now on the Packers' couch reseve, or does a team sign him?

MM hinted if Myles clears waivers he'll be back with us on the PS. There is still one spot open there presently.

mraynrand
09-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Good. Now 007 won't have to amend her sig.

as if that matters

pittstang5
09-08-2015, 08:27 AM
MM hinted if Myles clears waivers he'll be back with us on the PS. There is still one spot open there presently.

I posted this in the Practice Squad thread (about halfway down the article):

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/injured-players-likely-to-be-ready-for-bears-b99571753z1-325537661.html

Sounds like White won't be back.

3irty1
09-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Seems strange to see a player of Jones's caliber being a casualty of roster cutdown but the Giants are pretty stacked.

Odell Beckham Jr, Victor Cruz, Ruben Randle are all locks. Dwayne Harris is a good slot guy and returner so he's basically a lock. James Jones was really competing with a bunch of young guys for a 5th spot. Jones is kind of a sucky 5th option. If you were GM of the giants and you had to choose between James Jones and this years 6th round draft pick Geremy Davis who's a similar mold but plays on all 4 special teams units (including gunner on punt teams) who would you want?

IMO we really missed Jones last year. When Boykin decided to fall apart and the TE position was a mess, Jordy and Cobb shouldered most of the load. That's all well and good until we played against great secondaries like Seattle, New England, and Buffalo who took those guys away. The things Jones does best is beat press coverage and that could have been the difference between a functioning offense and one that stalled against those tough teams.

Hopefully Jones, Dickrod, and Adams can make for a more consistent offense this year even if they can't replace Jordy's big plays.

pbmax
09-08-2015, 11:16 AM
Hopefully, there is some speed residue left in Don Beebe's old 82 jersey to help RichRod.

Otherwise, let the red zone trickeration begin.

Joemailman
09-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Seems strange to see a player of Jones's caliber being a casualty of roster cutdown but the Giants are pretty stacked.

Odell Beckham Jr, Victor Cruz, Ruben Randle are all locks. Dwayne Harris is a good slot guy and returner so he's basically a lock. James Jones was really competing with a bunch of young guys for a 5th spot. Jones is kind of a sucky 5th option. If you were GM of the giants and you had to choose between James Jones and this years 6th round draft pick Geremy Davis who's a similar mold but plays on all 4 special teams units (including gunner on punt teams) who would you want?

IMO we really missed Jones last year. When Boykin decided to fall apart and the TE position was a mess, Jordy and Cobb shouldered most of the load. That's all well and good until we played against great secondaries like Seattle, New England, and Buffalo who took those guys away. The things Jones does best is beat press coverage and that could have been the difference between a functioning offense and one that stalled against those tough teams.

Hopefully Jones, Dickrod, and Adams can make for a more consistent offense this year even if they can't replace Jordy's big plays.

The only reason I thought Giants would keep Jones is that Victor Cruz isn't healthy. I agree Pack missed Jones last year. I thought Boykin was going to be a Jones clone. Adams was a little shaky with the back shoulder throws last year. Might see that come back with Jones.

3irty1
09-08-2015, 12:08 PM
The only reason I thought Giants would keep Jones is that Victor Cruz isn't healthy. I agree Pack missed Jones last year. I thought Boykin was going to be a Jones clone. Adams was a little shaky with the back shoulder throws last year. Might see that come back with Jones.

I'm not sure how Jones was ever so effective at back shoulder stuff but he was. You'd think CB's would cheat on it knowing he's not a threat to blow past you and even if he did he can't catch it over his shoulder.

pbmax
09-08-2015, 12:27 PM
Back shoulder stuff helps him there. If the CB is close, he is going to elbow and arm fight past that CB, speed be damned. He's not as tall as Jordy, but he is a big body for a WR. He gets and maintains position well.

Patler
09-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Back shoulder stuff helps him there. If the CB is close, he is going to elbow and arm fight past that CB, speed be damned. He's not as tall as Jordy, but he is a big body for a WR. He gets and maintains position well.

And even last year, he had the knack for making difficult catches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBVDDY-hxIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKtYIvyG24U

3irty1
09-08-2015, 02:26 PM

He plays big maybe bigger than Jordy. Jump balls aren't really Rodgers's style but Jones is pretty good and high pointing the ball and winning those battles. All his big plays and TD's I remember were that type of effort.

Rutnstrut
09-08-2015, 04:01 PM
Maybe Jones will help in the redzone since they really don't have any other threat there. That's my hope anyway. I still think Jones will make a significant impact.

GrnBay007
09-12-2015, 11:54 PM
as if that matters

Of course it matters!!
Thanks Joe!
:clap: Go JJ! Picked him on my FF team of course lol

KYPack
09-13-2015, 03:49 AM
Of course it matters!!
Thanks Joe!

Green people matter.

Ah, yer famous FF team.

Try not to laugh at Annie when he says something snotty about ya,

mraynrand
09-13-2015, 06:23 AM
Of course it matters!!
Thanks Joe!

BFFF! You return again! <--- another 'snotty' comment. :)

Patler
09-13-2015, 12:41 PM

How long? ...a little bit less than a quarter!

red
09-13-2015, 01:44 PM
looks like he never left

and he looks like our #1

Rutnstrut
09-13-2015, 03:07 PM
Maybe Jones will help in the redzone since they really don't have any other threat there. That's my hope anyway. I still think Jones will make a significant impact.

I hate to tell the doubters I told you so, fuck that. I love it, I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

Joemailman
09-13-2015, 03:44 PM
I hate to tell the doubters I told you so, fuck that. I love it, I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

Who were the doubters? I thought people were genuinely happy to have Jones back.

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2015, 04:38 PM
Who were the doubters? I thought people were genuinely happy to have Jones back.

I was initially a doubter. I was badly influenced by Harvey Wallbanger's statement that he would take the Packer WRs over any upcoming cast offs. Every time I listen to that moron it all goes very wrong. But I did climb back on the JJ bandwagon before he was released - in time to save face.

Jones was OK today but he needs to work on his pad level.

KYPack
09-13-2015, 06:47 PM
James was like Deja Vu.

It was like getting money from home when you didn't even write Mom a letter begging for it.

Teamcheez1
09-13-2015, 07:31 PM
If JJ can play that well, why did we let him go in the first place? It wasn't like he was asking for Greg Jennings money. Did we think Boykin was going to become JJ Part 2?

I'm glad to have him back after that performance, but I certainly didn't believe he could have that kind of impact.

Joemailman
09-13-2015, 07:34 PM
If JJ can play that well, why did we let him go in the first place? It wasn't like he was asking for Greg Jennings money. Did we think Boykin was going to become JJ Part 2?

I'm glad to have him back after that performance, but I certainly didn't believe he could that kind of impact.

I think that's exactly what happened. Boykin had a very JJ-like season in 2013. There wasn't really any reason to expect his career would fall off the cliff after that.

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2015, 08:10 PM
I was initially a doubter. I was badly influenced by Harvey Wallbanger's statement that he would take the Packer WRs over any upcoming cast offs. Every time I listen to that moron it all goes very wrong. But I did climb back on the JJ bandwagon before he was released - in time to save face.

Jones was OK today but he needs to work on his pad level.

At least, get the gist of my rant correct.

red
09-13-2015, 08:34 PM

I'm glad to have him back after that performance, but I certainly didn't believe he could have that kind of impact.

jones got almost 4 million per year

boykins probably cost about 400K

pbmax
09-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Yeah, they didn't think he was done. Just expensive.

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2015, 09:28 PM
At least, get the gist of my rant correct.

It wasn't complicated, you said packers should stick with young receivers and not pursue free agents that might come available, including jj.

King Friday
09-13-2015, 10:51 PM
I'm not convinced Jones is going to do that all year...but he was huge in week one. I was a doubter, although I would not deny that he was clearly the best option for Green Bay as a last minute pickup, since he knows the offense.

If he can continue to make big grabs like that, the loss of Nelson will be minimal as long as Cobb gets back to 100%.

pbmax
09-13-2015, 10:55 PM
I'm not convinced Jones is going to do that all year...but he was huge in week one. I was a doubter, although I would not deny that he was clearly the best option for Green Bay as a last minute pickup, since he knows the offense.

If he can continue to make big grabs like that, the loss of Nelson will be minimal as long as Cobb gets back to 100%.

Bears had same problem with Jones the Packers did with Gase's offense. No film. Just need him to be unexpectedly good until Cobb is healthy and Adams and Rodgers get more acquainted.

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2015, 11:24 PM
I was initially a doubter for the same reason NY and GB and Oakland were doubters: an older guy can look great one day, a couple months later the only thing he is good for is busting moves on "Dancing with the Stars." It seems like the young guys will last the whole season and get better along the way.

With jordy down, the risk was easily worth it.

Rutnstrut
09-13-2015, 11:31 PM
I was initially a doubter for the same reason NY and GB and Oakland were doubters: an older guy can look great one day, a couple months later the only thing he is good for is busting moves on "Dancing with the Stars." It seems like the young guys will last the whole season and get better along the way.

With jordy down, the risk was easily worth it.

That's why you use those older guys sparingly. If you can keep them somewhat fresh they can pay big dividends.

call_me_ishmael
09-13-2015, 11:49 PM
I really like that he is wearing #89. Wouldn't have been right to see him in a different number.

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2015, 12:35 AM
It wasn't complicated, you said packers should stick with young receivers and not pursue free agents that might come available, including jj.

Nope. I only guessed that Thompson would pass on Jones. I never said that I would take the Packers young receivers over Jones. It didn't seem like a TT kind of move.

mraynrand
09-14-2015, 05:50 AM
Bears had same problem with Jones the Packers did with Gase's offense. No film. Just need him to be unexpectedly good until Cobb is healthy and Adams and Rodgers get more acquainted.

Nah, they have plenty of film (14 games against Chicago alone), as do the Packers of Gase's offense (and Fangios' defense). Bears have marginal corners.

pbmax
09-14-2015, 06:52 AM
Nah, they have plenty of film (14 games against Chicago alone), as do the Packers of Gase's offense (and Fangios' defense). Bears have marginal corners.

Well that's the thing with Jones. The CBs are always nearby, but he shields them from the ball with his body better than anyone the Packers have had in a while. So mediocre or not, he wasn't losing them on his cut. But Rodgers trusts him in ways that he clearly doesn't with Adams yet. Except for his position relative to the sideline, he wasn't really open on his last TD for instance.

I wasn't sure he would start though. The Packers ran single back, 3 WR a lot more than I expected (almost entire game). Maybe the Bears made the same mistake.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Nope. I only guessed that Thompson would pass on Jones. I never said that I would take the Packers young receivers over Jones. It didn't seem like a TT kind of move.

OK. Quote was from a month ago or so, not those recent comments. I might be thinking of someone else's comments.

Who said they would take the packer WRs over the nfl castoffs? It was somebody who sounded authoritative. Somebody Harveywallbangeresque.

sharpe1027
09-14-2015, 12:25 PM
OK. Quote was from a month ago or so, not those recent comments. I might be thinking of someone else's comments.

Who said they would take the packer WRs over the nfl castoffs? It was somebody who sounded authoritative. Somebody Harveywallbangeresque.

This is the wrong forum for something like that.

mraynrand
09-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Who said they would take the packer WRs over the nfl castoffs?

James Jones is both

Fritz
09-14-2015, 02:45 PM
Well that's the thing with Jones. The CBs are always nearby, but he shields them from the ball with his body better than anyone the Packers have had in a while. So mediocre or not, he wasn't losing them on his cut. But Rodgers trusts him in ways that he clearly doesn't with Adams yet. Except for his position relative to the sideline, he wasn't really open on his last TD for instance.

I wasn't sure he would start though. The Packers ran single back, 3 WR a lot more than I expected (almost entire game). Maybe the Bears made the same mistake.

I have a friend who thought they shoulda kept Myles White instead of signing Jones. But I don't think White could've or would've done what Jones did in that game.

James Jones is Aaron Rodgers's binky.

Cobra Kai
09-14-2015, 03:30 PM
I have a friend who thought they shoulda kept Myles White instead of signing Jones. But I don't think White could've or would've done what Jones did in that game.

James Jones is Aaron Rodgers's binky.

I'm pretty sure that Miles White would have gift wrapped the ball for the DBs on the contested passes JJ caught. Then again AR would be smart enough not throw a contested pass to White.